Family Tree of Henry Foote And Fragments of Family History Gathered and Compiled by Paulina Foote, Daughter of Henry Foote Transcribed into digital form, Preserving, Of the Original: Pagination, excepting blank pages; Formatting most generally and as implied; Spelling of names, places and other words, Excepting obvious typographical errors; And Handwritten corrections applied to manuscript By Paulina Foote, In order to Preserve the Original Character, quality, and historical nature Of the Contents herein, By Daniel Foote, Great-Grandson of Henry Foote

A Little of the History of Henry Foote and His Forefathers. Heinrich Voth, father of Henry Foote, died before Father’s birth. Very little of the Voth family is known. There is a legend that a man from Holland traveled on foot to Poland and thus was called De Vothgaenger, meaning the foot traveler. He was supposed to have a large button made of a seashell on which he had engraved his name or nickname,”De Vothgaenger”. He willed this to his oldest son with the request that the button should be passed on to the oldest sons of the following generations. Later the “De” of the name was left off and still later the last part of Vothgaenger, that is “gaenger” meaning traveler was also left off. The name Voth is still in use. Since our forefathers emigrated from Holland to Poland, we may be descendents of this Vothgaenger. That button was passed on for a number of generations and was brought by a Voth family in Minnesota. When the oldest son of the family moved to Canada, a trunk of his things was lost on the way and was never found. In that trunk was that button.. Since father’s mother was poor, she dad to work out. He was left to stay with his grandparents Penner. His mother was later married to Franz Ewert. When the grandparents emigrated to the United States, they took Henry along. His mother and stepfather never came to America. To the Ewert union there were three children born, John, Maria Ewert-Goertz and Bena Ewert-Wolf. The aunts and their families disappeared after World War I in the Russian Revolution when the Communists took over. Whether they were killed outright, sent to labor camps or what happened to them we do not know. Uncle John and family managed to get to Poland, while the aunts lived in Russian Poland. Uncle John and aunt Emilie had one son, Leonard, who came to this country, was married to Mary Stuckle of Bessie, Oklahoma. Later they made their home at Herbert, Saskatchewan, where he died in 1954. When the German army retreated in World War II, uncle and aunt Ewert tried to flee with this army into Germany. Uncle was very sick. He begged to be left by the roadside to die and asked aunt and their adopted daughter to continue their flight. Aunt went a ways but could not forget him. She went back to him. He died. The pursuing soldiers abused her and brutally put her to death as other fleeing people reported later. The maiden name of Father’s grandmother was Maria Kurzhals. She outlived grandfather and died Jan. 25, 1899 at the age of 85 years. My sister Anna and I still remember seeing her. She gave each of us an enamel ware cup. She spent the last years of her life with her daughter, Henrietta, Mrs. David Karber. Father Foote’s original name was Heinrich Voth. When he came to the United States with his grandparents, they stayed in Illinois for a short time among the Amish Mennonites. There was a man by the name of Zehr who took a liking to the then eleven year old boy. He made an offer to the grandparents that if they would let him have the boy, he would send him to school and when he became of age he would give him a team of horses, a wagon and $200.00, which was at that time worth quite a fortune. Mr. Zehr became his guardian and changed his name from Heinrich Voth to Henry Foote. The grandparents moved to Hillsboro, Kansas. In the fall of 1884 he went to be with his grandparents and relatives. In October 1886 he married our first mother, Eva Block. They lived on eighty acre farm about six miles southwest of Marion, Kansas. Besides farming father quarried some stone. Some of these stones were used in the buildings of the alexanderwohl Church, Hillsboro Mennonite Brethren Church and the Old People’s Home southeast of Hillsboro, Kansas.

Some Interesting Experiences out of Greatgrandma Maria Penner’s life. Written by Maria Karber-Martins On September 16, 1893, at high noon, homesteaders made a run into the Cherokee Strip, located in northwestern Oklahoma, for settlement. Many went to stake a quarter of land, built a dugout and then they went home to return in spring. My parents who lived in Marion County, Kansas, had a difficult time to pay the overburdening high interest on loans. It was not an easy decision for father (Karber) to make with eight children and blind grandmother, age seventy-eight, to provide for. But by spring 1894 we were preparing to leave. Grandmother, who was medium height and fleshy, could not go on a high lumber wagon. It was too hard for her to climb up and down. So father wrote to uncle Peter Penner at old Cheyenne, Oklahoma. I, Maria, was a girl of seven and my grandmother’s namesake. For three months I had attended grammar school and knew a few English words. She knew no English, but I felt no fear to travel with her. Father had written to uncle Peter Penner to meet grandmother and me at the depot in Kingfisher. One day, in the latter part of March, father took us to cousin Henry Foote, who lived near Aulne, Kansas, where we were to board the train at midnight. As the town was small, my cousin had to flag the train to a stop by swinging a lit lantern in the air. After we were on, nearly every time the train stopped at a station, grandmother told me to ask the conductor if the next town was Skinfisher, as she pronounced it. In the morning we arrived at our destination. Some one helped my grandmother, and I was lifted down by a Negro, the first one I had seen in my life. My uncle was not at home so my aunt Peter Penner and her niece’s husband, Fred Fruechting, were to meet us, which was a blessing, for the letter, we had sent, could have been lost. The mail was carried by horseback over the wild unsettled country. We started for uncle’s place on a spring buggy without a top. It was a fair day and just when the sun was setting we drove into uncle’s yard. The sun did not look good to me. It was quite red, because of all the smoke and dust in the air caused by the many travelers who left camp fires burning that destroyed many black jack trees. Almost every evening we could see some woods burning. I had plenty of company at my uncle’s house. There were eight girls and one boy in the family, and by cousin’t daughter, age seven, stayed with them, too. I remember very well how we slept. They had a two room house and a cellar near by. On the dirt floor in the cellar they spread comforts, and quilts on which we girls slept in a row from one end of the cellar to the other. It was springtime and we younger girls played in the sunshine most of the day. We picked up nice little stones after a rain, made up games to play or dug just around in the ground. The older girls had to herd cattle while riding horseback. Once in a while they took us along. Meanwhile my folks left Marion, Kansas, March 19th with two wagons. One a covered wagon, called a prarie schooner, and the other a big hayrack, pulled by six horses, three to each wagon. They were accompanied by another moving party. In the rear of this caravan my older sister, Lizzie, age thirteen and brother John eleven, had to walk most of two hundred miles driving our seven cows and some for the other party.

2. Some of the cows had calves. They were put on the hayrack. How they kept them there I do not know. It took them thirteen days to make this move to uncle Gertze’s place, five miles southeast of Fairview, Oklahoma. Uncle Gertz had built a small blacksmith shop, which was the only building in the territory. In the latter part of April my parents came by to get me. Grandmother stayed with Penners until fall. It was a cloudy day. On the way back we stopped for dinner at some of our relatives, Weber by name, (she was cousin to Wm. Penner, who for many years worked for the M.B. Publishing House at Hillsboro, Kansas.) We had to feed the horses and wanted to warm ourselves. They lived in a small granary. I still remember what we had for dinner, beans, and were they good! After we had eaten, the lady of the house went to a big trunk and found an apple. She cut it in pieces and gave me one. It was the first apple I had ever eaten. The first summer we lived in a tent and the cover wagon top on the ground. It was very hot and dry. Mother was sick. Often she would go down to the creek and cry. Father was not so heavy hearted as she, but energetic. What he wanted he worked for with dauntless spirit. Some years ago he had filed eighty acres and could file only eighty acres more. Two men living on a quarter near by were willing to relinquish their claim for a certain amount of money. This father paid. He and grandmother filed these two eighties with the understanding that she could stay with us as long as she lived. There were two dugouts on the land. One small, size 20x12, and the other a little larger, built into a bank of a creek running across one corner of the land. We were warmer that winter, but our living quarters were rather crowded. When we had eaten, we cleaned the table and put the chairs on the table to have room to walk. At times we fared on kaffircorn bread and drank barley coffee. It did not seem so bad to me as I was too small to realize the seriousness of our situation and not having known a more convenient life. One day after we had eaten our simple supper, two men on a cart stopped at our place. They asked for something to eat. Mother hurried to prepare it. We recognized them to be the notorious robbers, Yager and Black. One was very nervous. He ate with his gun on his lap. When he heard a canvass flapping against the dugout, he told father to go outside and tell him if anybody was coming. Soon they left again on their two wheeled cart. They were known to take what they wanted and then go on. As long we were well it was alright. But when one of the family was sick, we worried. No money and very few doctors. Father and one of the sisters had typhoid fever one summer. I suppose from the unclean water we had to drink. We had happy times, too. Especially do I remember the first Christmas tree we had in the Cherokee Strip. It was the most wonderful Christmas for me! We did not buy any candles. Grandmother and I made them. Maybe we could have bought them in the little store, but we did not have the money. Grandmother had some wick string stored away in her trunk she had brought along from Russia. We had some tallow. We cut the string into short lengths, just long enough to make two candles. She dipped the ends into hot tallow, then I hung them on a branch to cool. I had to do this several times until they were large

3. enough to use. Some of the men got a nice green cedar tree, which were plentiful. We tied the candles onto the tree branches, for we had no candle holders. When it was lit I thought it the most beautiful tree I had ever seen. We had a short program with the family living near us. My uncle Cornelius Gertz led in singing “Silent Night”, and other songs. Then we said our readings. I remember my piece consisted of two long stanzas of a German song. When we were relaxing from doing our part on the program, in walked two older boys of our visiting family. What to do no? There were no extra gifts to give to the boys. The older sisters were in a predicament. No candy to pass around. At that time the stores had one kind of candy, the banana candy. One piece was the size of a split banana. Alas, our sisters asked us to let the boys have ours, with the promise that they would get us some after Christmas Day. I can’t remember receiving the candy later, but I do know that I did not have candy that Christmas. There have been quite a few Christmas Days in my life. I had little presents and big presents, but remember the first Christmas in the Cherokee Strip best of all. After the third winter in these dugouts, the family had grown to nine children. With father, mother and grandmother we were twelve, too many for comfort. In the large dugout we ate, visited and father and mother and the baby slept there at nights. The small dugout was the sleeping room for grandmother and the rest of the children. In winter, when zero weather, we would hurry to our dugout bedroom. In spring when it rained, for it had to be wet to break the sod, father built a nice big sod house, about thirty feet long, fourteen feet wide and seven feet high. The walls were twenty-four inches thick. Sod was placed upon sod until the walls were high enough. In the center was a big wooden pillar for the reach log to rest on lengthwise. Across they but black jack posts, one close to the other, then hay, sod and dirt. The roof had to be repaired after every big rain. Many times we sat around after a rainstorm, bedding covered with the table oil cloth and most of our pans and crocks sitting under the leaks to catch the water dripping through the roof. Seems as though we got more rain those days. I was still my grandmother’s girl to lead her around and to read to her from an old songbook several inches thick. That is where I learnt to read German, for I have only five weeks of German instruction. Grandmother could not go to church often. One of us girls had to stay at home with her and the smaller children. I recall one Sunday after the parents had gone to church, my little brother, age five, was naughty. Grandma wanted to spank him. Brother always walked around the big post in the center of the house. She could not catch him because she could not see him. Under such circumstances it must have been hard for her, but she never grumbled much. The first thing in the morning we had to get her a cup of hot milk, and it had to be hot. Then she would stay in bed for a while. One day, when I was alone in the room with her, she went to the big trunk and gave me a black prune for helping her. I had to eat it right away for she did not have enough for all the children. She lived with us for two years in the new sod house. There were two weddings and two deaths in that soddie. Two of my oldest sisters, Emilia, Mrs. Wm. Bartel, and Lizzie, Mrs. A. A. Kliewer, were married there. My brother David, who fell off the roof of the new church while he was helping to shingle it, died there. In January 1899 grandmother took sick with the grippe. My mother said, “Grandmother is very sick.” About twelve o’clock one night she went to be with her Lord and Saviour in the heavenly home.

4. It was very cold on her funeral day. Uncle Gertz made a wooden coffin and some ladies covered it with black muslin on the outside and lined it with white muslin. Hanging over the sides of the coffin were white scallops of muslin. These were punched on t he edges with a leather punch to give a lace effect. Grandmother was laid to rest in the South Hoffnundsfeld [Hoffnungsfeld?] graveyard at the age of eightyfour years and six months. This ends the years and days of my dear grandmother as a pioneer in the Cherokee Strip.

Some of That Which is Known of Henry Foote’s Grandparents Benjamin Penner’s Family Record. Name Parents: Benjamin Penner Maria KurzhalsPenner Children: Eva PennerEwert Jacob Penner Susanna Penner-Ediger Peter Penner Maria PennerGertz Elisabeth Penner-Beier Heinrigetta Penner-Kärber Birthday Sept. 17, 1807 July 11, 1814 Date of Death Summer of 1883 Jan. 25, 1899 Number of Sons Two Two Number of Daughters Five Five Place of Death Hillsboro, Kansas Fairview, Oklahoma Russia Poland or Russia Poland or Russia Balko, Oklahoma Fairview, Oklahoma South Dakota Fairview, Oklahoma

Two Two Dec. 20, 1844 Sept. 14, 1845 June 5, 1851 April 12, 1853 June 10, 1857 Dec. 20, 1940 Three May 30, 1918 Aug. 6, 1921 Five? Two Five

Two Three Two? Nine Four


Of Jacob we know that he had the following children: Benjamin who live and died at Homestead, Okla., Jacob who lived at El Reno, Okla. and died there, Maria Gerbrecht, Susie Christ and Annie Rupp lived in California. The first two daughters died at Glendora and Mrs. Annie Rupp lived and died at Reedley, California. Peter married Eva Wohlgemuth Schroeder. Their children were Frena (Mrs. H.H.Karber), Mary (Mrs. Peter Gertz), Bena (Mrs. Corn. Penner), Eva (Mrs. Jake Karber), Emilie (Mrs. Peter Penner), Martha (Mrs. George Kliewer), Henrietta (Mrs. Ebel Bartel), Susie (Mrs. Alex. Wall), Julia (Mrs. Menno Bartel), Peter married Martha Ratzlaff and Benjamin died when he was small. Some of these children and their descendants still live in the Oklahoma Panhandle. Susanna was married to Peter Ediger who both died in the old country. I am not sure how many children they had. Some children of their son Peter, who was deaf and dumb, live at Drake, Saskatchewan. Elisabeth was married to Peter Beier and lived and died in South Dakota. They had some children but nothing is known about them. Maria was married to Cornelius Gertz July 12, 1872. They emigrated to America via Hamburg to New York landing in July 1874. She was baptized in 1897 by Abraham Schellenberg and joined the Hillsboro, Kansas Mennonite Brethren Church. The following are their children: Peter married Maria Penner, Cornelius a Miss Ratzlaff Zielke, David to Lydia Ratzlaff, do not remember whom Jacob and Arthur married, Mary (Mrs. Dan Neufeld), Lydia (Mrs. Ratzlaff), Martha (Mrs. Wm. Penner), and Henrietta (Mrs. Arthur Nickel). Heinrigetta was married to David Kärber. Their children were Emilie (Mrs. Wm. Bartel), Lizzie (Mrs. A.A. Kliewer), John married Justina Cornelson, David died in an accident, Maria (Mrs. P. A. Martens), Susie (Mrs. Corn. Schroeder), Henrietta (Mrs. Dick Cornelson), Benjamin married Louise Warkentin, Eva (Mrs. J. C. Wichert), Tena (Mrs. P. J. Unruh) and Martha who died when small. Father Kärber was baptized by Jacob Ehrlich and joined the Mennonite Brethren Church at Marion, Kansas the day before the family moved from Kansas to Oklahoma.

Of Eva, daughter of Benjamin and Maria Penner, too little is known. Not even her birthday nor date of death can seemingly be found. Father Henry Foote was born after the death of his father Heinrich Voth. His mother later was married to Franz Ewert. They never emigrated from Russia to the United States. Father Foote came to America with his Grandparents Benjamin Penner in 1874. To the union of Franz and Eva Ewer were born one son and two daughters, Johann, Maria and Jacobina. Johann’s wife’s first name was Emilie. They had one son, Leonard, who came to America. Here he married Mary Stuckle of Bessie, Oklahoma. They made their home at Main Centre and Herbert, Saskatchewan, Canada. Both Johann Ewert and son, Leonard, were millers by trade. Leonard also did some farming. He died of cancer in 1954. He had been a backslidden Christian, but got right with God on his sick bed and went to be with the Lord Jesus. The two daughters Maria Ewert-Goertz and Jacobina Ewert-Wolf lived in Russia at the time of the Revolution after World War I. Father Foote once sent them food packages, among other things containing bacon. When they had received them, one of Father’s brothers in law took the piece of bacon and pressed it to his breast and said, “Speck, Speck!” meaning , “Bacon, bacon!” They had been on a starvation diet so long that bacon was something precious to them. After their letter of thanks for the food packages, no more letters from them reached their relatives living in America. Some news leaked out that these families had disappeared. Most likely they were killed by Communists or sent away like many other people at that time. Grandparents Ewert both died before the Revolution. Grandmother got to be about 83 years old. She has done much good by being a midwife. She has helped many babies get a start in life.

An Account of the Emigration Trip of Heinrich Block and Family from Russia to the United States and Other Incidents in their Life. (Gathered from Peter H. Block’s Record and translated by Paulina Foote.) Our Grandfather was Heinrich Block who was married to Aganetha Janzen. They lived in a village in Pommern near Graudenz, Prussia. He died in 1825 and she died in 1829. Their son Heinrich was born February 11, 1813 in Prussia. He was left an orphan at the age of sixteen years. Heinrich Block Jr. spent the time from September 3, 1839 to May 11, 1841 in Russia at the Molotschna. He wove linen cloth by trade and was a tailor. He was married to Katharina Buller December 2, 1841. In 1853 they moved from Prussia to Poland and lived in the village of Sady where he bought some land and they made their home. After the first year here he made a trip on foot back to Prussia. He did this to visit friends, relatives and to dispose of some of their things he had left there. During this time his wife died and was buried on a Saturday three days after her death which was June 21, 1854. She was buried on the Deutsch Wymishle Cemetery near the Weichsel (Vistula) River in Poland. The day after her burial her husband arrived at home. To him it seemed impossible that she was really dead. His grief and sorrow was almost imbearable. To convince himself, that she was really dead, he dug up the grave and found that she had passed on. She reached the age of 35 years, born four children, namely, Heinrich H., Helena, Aganetha and David I. Son Heinrich was married three times. The first marriage was with Anna Gertz, the second to Anna Ebel and the third to Elisabeth Doering. Helena was married to Johann Kiehn, Aganetha was married to Johann Nickel and David I. died when he was nine years old. Father Heinrich Block remarried. This time he married Susanna Unrau, daughter of Tobias Unrau. They were married November 3, 1854. Her mother was a God fearing woman. The daughter had the assurance that her mother went to heaven at her death. Susanna was born August 12, 1828. The following children were born to this union: Maria, who died when she was a little over a year old, Peter H., Anna, John, Eva, Paulina and David II., who died when he was less than two months old. The parents lived in Poland in the Village of Sady near Gombin. Father got restless and in the fall of 1872 they sold their land and most of their things. On the 20th of October they started to move on two wagons to Russia. Some other people on nine wagons moved at the same time. They moved about 700 verst or about 465 miles southeast into Russia. They arrived in Warsaw on the 22nd where they had to wait for their passports until the 26th. They reached Schitomer on November 10, 1872. Here father bought a hufe of land which is 30 morgen, where we lived until May 31, 1875. After this the parents with us five youngest children and our two oldest sisters with their families emigrated to America. A wagon took us to a railway station, where we arrived early on June 3rd and at six o’clock in the evening we took the train to Warsaw which we reached on the 4th at noon. The next day a Polish man took us to 2. Gombin. From here a friend of ours, a Heinrich Unruh, took us to Wymischle where we stayed with friends and relatives for eleven days. June 17th there was a farewell service in Uncle Heinrich Unruh’s home. Early the next morning David Bartel took us to the train. At one o’clock in the afternoon we reached the boundary where we were required to go to an office where our passports were examined. At 3 o’clock we boarded the train, but were

asked to show our passports again. We left the train at a station near Thoren, Germany, where we spent the night. My father and I went over the large bridge to Thoren where we saw part of the city. For the night we went back. The next morning we left for Bromberg where we arrived at 9 o’clock and waited there until 6 o’clock in the evening. On we went until 7 o’clock in the morning when we reached the large city of Berlin, the city for the Emperors. I walked through the city and got very tired. At 11 o’clock the train took us to Hamburg where we arrived at 8 o’clock in the evening. At 9 o’clock we went to the emigration house. The 20th of June I went to a very large church. In the beginning I could not see nor make out where the preacher stood, but I could hear him preach. The next few days I could get around in the city. On the 22nd a small man came to see us and invited us to an evening meeting where they sang the good song, “Himmelan geht unsere Bahn.” Many of Hamburg’s streets consist of canals on which small ships sail, especially in the morning when the tide is in. June 25th we boarded the ship that left at 8 P.M. We soon went to bed. In the morning we saw no land and the boat went up and down so that many people were sick. Early June 27th we saw land. By 11 o’clock we were in Hartlepool. We had travelled 400 miles by sea. We stayed on the ship for that was Sunday. The next day at 9 A.M. we took the train and travelled through England. The eastern part looked beautiful, the prettiest area I had ever seen in the world. We saw small farms, houses, pastures, planted fields and fat cows. The western part was very stoney and mountainous with many factories. The air was dark with smoke. Our train went through 13 tunnels where it was very dark. The 4th, 12th, and 13th were long. The 11th about four miles was the longest. There were a number of shorter tunnels yet where it was not all dark. By 6 P.M. we had gone clear across England about 212 miles. We arrived in the large city of Liverpool, where we were taken to the emigration house. On July 1st, 9 A.M. we boarded a boat which took us to the large ship and 5 P.M. this started going out westward. The next day at 3 P.M. we reached Ireland where several passengers boarded our ship. On July 4th near noon a fire broke out in the lower part of the ship near the coal pile. God was merciful. The sailors used the large water hose and were able to quench the fire. Some of the large freight trunks had to be replaced. One trunk fell onto a sailor and injured his leg so that he was very lame. During this time I was in 3. my cabin on my bed silently praying to God and was very much afraid. In the afternoon the sea-sickness let up. For a week, which seemed very long, we saw only water. Sunday July 11th we were still on high sea. On Monday I asked a sailor when we should see land. He answered in English which I did not understand. But Tuesday we saw land and that night we were near New York. The next morning we anchored in the large harbor, where a small boat took us to Kesselgar where we stayed in a house until evening. At 6 P.M. we were on a train bound for the West. On we went from one large city to another, day and night until Saturday at 9 o’clock we left the train and had arrived in Florence, Kansas. Quickly the train left us and we were left to our fate. We lay down on the platform in front of the depot and slept well. On July 18, 1875 when the sun came up we awoke for the first time in Kansas. Then my brother in law, Johann Kiehn, Johann Nickel and I walked about fourteen or fifteen miles to the old Heinrich Gertz place where my oldest brother Heinrich already lived. Along the way lived a widow whose name was Flaming who gave us breakfast. At 1 o’clock in the afternoon we arrived at my brother. It began to rain and my parents had to stay in Florence until the next day when they were gotten on a wagon. We lived with the Gertzes for some time. Since everything was so strange, father began to worry and became despondent. He was so sad that he got very weak. But after he began to work for himself, he got courageous again. He bought an eighty acre farm, if I remember right at $3.00 an acre. This eighty was part of the section on which the town of Hillsboro was built. The northeast eighth of this section became our

home. Our first house was about a yard in the ground with walls of sod above the ground. The roof was of boards. The south end had a room in which we lived. The north end was a barn for two horses and two cows. We moved into the house before Christmas 1875. We enjoyed our home except when it rained hard. Then the water came in through the entrance places and we had to dip much water. In the summer of 1877 we built a new house of stone. Late in the fall we were able to move into the north end of the house, for we had already put a roof of Prairie grass on that part. We finished the south end during the winter. I had my attention on a faithful Maria Unruh and wooed her. She gave me her hand and heart to go with me the rest of her life. We were married February 2, 1878 and were very happy together. We lived a life of prayer which brought us treasurers we needed. My parents lived a very pious life and hoped by doing good they could be saved. After we came to America we heard the Gospel of Grace through Jesus Christ preached to us and that one could know that his sins were forgiven when one in repentance and faith would accept Jesus Christ as his personal Saviour. The result was that a revival broke out in the French Creek area north of Hillsboro, Kansas. Among the many who were saved at that time were our mother and all of us children except Paulina, the youngest. We were saved in 1880 and baptized the spring of 1881. All the others in the family, except my brother Heinrich and I joined the Mennonite Brethren Church and became Charter Members of the Hillsboro, Kansas Mennonite Brethren Church. Father and Paulina were saved later, were baptized May 21, 1891 and 4. were added to the Mennonite Brethren Church. Father was 79 years old at that time. Heinrich and I were baptized by Elder Jacob A. Wiebe and joined the Krimmer Mennonite Brethren Church south of Hillsboro. In September 1896 father became blind and spent the last five years without his sight. He reached the age of 88 years, 8 months less one day. He had an easy death. He went to sleep and did not wake up. Mother died November 21, 1904 after she had a vision of Heaven where it was very bright and light. So anxious was she to die that she asked her son, Peter, if her feet were already getting cold. Thus far I have gathered the above from Peter H. Block’s Record Book. Shall add a few things I remember of Grandparents Block. Both were small people. Grandpa had some golden hair among the gray white. I remember him as being blind and his age made him forgetful which seemed strange to me, a little girl. My second mother told me that when he still lived in Poland, he would go to market with his basket over his arm skating to the market place, that is in winter. In summer he would go by boat. The grandparents lived near the Weichsel (Vistual) River. I was told that he went to Russia pushing a wheelbarrow. That must have been when he went from Prussia to Russia before he was married. Grandma was small and humpbacked. Mother told us she had had a bad fall when she was small and the result was a crippled back. I was always considered small for my age, but when I was twelve years old, I was taller than Grandma. She was very kind and lived a life close to the Lord Jesus. Although she was not strong, she was always ready to help wherever she could. Her name was Susanna Unrau, a daughter of Tobias Unrau. She had a cousin who lived near Goessel, Kansas and I was told that this was her only cousin she had. We do not know anything more of her parents or the family from which she came. Her relatives changed their name from Unrau to Unruh. Unrau reminds us that she was of Dutch descent. Unruh is the German translation of that name. Paulina Foote

Record of the Henry Foote Family on Maternal Side. Of the Grandparents of Eva and Pauline nee Block Foote we have the following information: Their Grandfather Heinrich Block lived in a village near Graudenz, Pommern, Prussia. His wife was Aganetha Janzen. He died in 1825 and she in 1829. We know of only one son they had who was Heinrich the father of Evan and Paulina. The following record begins with their Father Heinrich Block and his family. Name Heinrich Block Birthday Feb. 11, 1813 Birth-place Graudenz, Pommern, Prussia Date of Baptism May 21, 1891 Who Baptized Cornelius Wedel Church Affiliation Hillsboro, Kansas M.B. Church Death Oct. 10, 1901 June 21, 1854 Palm Sunday 1881 April 24, 1881 1887 Jacob A. Wiebe Abr. Schellenberg David Dick Hillsboro, Kan. Gnadenau, K.M.B. Church Hillsboro, Kansas, M.B. Church Hillsboro, Kansas, M.B. Church Mar. 10, 1930 Dec. 12, 1933 Feb. 2, 1926 May 25, 1861 April 24, 1881 Abraham Schellenberg Hillsboro, Kansas, M.B. Church Nov. 21, 1904 June 30, 1858 Nov. 5, 1932 Mar. 16, 1934 Sept. 6, 1939 Aug. 19, 1903 Nov. 10, 1919 Oct. 12, 1869

Katharina July 25, 1818 Buller-Block Children of First Marriage: Heinrich H. Dec. 15, Prussia Block 1844 Helena Block Aganetha Block David Block I Second Marriage: Susanna Unrau-Block Dec. 7, 1846 Dec. 27, 1849 Sept. 21, 1851 Aug. 12, 1828 Prussia Prussia Prussia

Children of Second Marriage: Maria Block March 31, Poland 1856 Peter H. March 19, Poland Block 1857 Anna Block John Block Eva Block Paulina Block David Block II Sept. 20, 1860 May 29, 1863 Oct. 16, 1865 Mar. 12, 1868 Aug. 31, 1869 Poland Poland Poland Poland Poland

Palm Sunday, 1881 Apr. 24, 1881 Apr. 24, 1881 Apr. 24, 1881 May 21, 1891

Jacob A. Wiebe Abraham Schellenberg Abraham Schellenberg Abraham Schellenberg Cornelius Wedel

Hillsboro, Ks., Gnadenau K.M.B. Church Hillsboro, Ks., M.B. Church Hillsboro, Ks., M.B. Church Hillsboro, Ks., M.B. Church Hillsboro, Ks., M.B. Church

The family emigrated from Prussia to Poland in 1853. In the fall of 1872 they moved to Russia where they lived until May 31, 1873 when they started out for the United States of America and reached Florence Kansas, July 17, 1875. The parents made their home at Hillsboro, Kansas the rest of their life.

Name Henry Foote Eva BlockFoote Children: Susie Foote Henry I. Foote Paulina Foote Anna Foote Lena Foote Eva Foote Albert Foote Birthday Dec. 4, 1863 Oct. 16, 1865 Feb. 2, 1889 Sept. 24, 1890 Nov. 13, 1891 Dec. 14, 1893 Nov. 9, 1895 June 12, 1897 The Family Tree of the Henry Foote Family Place of Date of Church Birth Baptism Affiliation Russian Oct. 1885 Marion, Kas. Poland M.B. Church Russian Apr. 24, Hillsboro, Poland 1881 Kansas, M.B. Church Marion, Kansas Marion, Kansas Marion, Kansas Marion, Kansas Marion, Kansas Marion, Kansas Who Baptized Jacob Ehrlich Abraham Schellenberg Date of Death June 3, 1951 Aug. 19, 1903 Nov. 4, 1891 Dec. 30, 1890 Aug. 7, 1910 Aug. 7, 1910 Corn, Okla. M.B. Church Corn, Okla. M.B. Church Hillsboro, Kansas, M.B. Church Bessie, Okla., M.B. Church Bessie, Okla., M.B. Church Hillsboro, Kansas M.B. Church Abraham Richert Abraham Richert Nov. 9, 1895 Sept. 15, 1912 Aug. 20, 1916 May 13, 1917 May 24, 1891 Peter P. Rempel Jacob Reimer Jacob Reimer Cornelius Wedel Jacob Reimer Henry D. Wiebe J.J. Kroeker May 25, 1921 Nov. 10, 1919 Jan. 3, 1927

July 12, 1900 Aulne, Kansas Henry II. Sept. 25, Aulne, Foote 1902 Kansas Father Foote’s second marriage: Paulina Mar. 12, Russian Block 1868 Poland Children by second marriage: Peter Foote June 22, 1905 Lydia Foote Aug. 24, 1908 Martha Foote Nov. 1, 1910 Aulne, Kansas Bessie, Oklahoma Bessie, Oklahoma Bessie, Oklahoma

Manual Dec. 2, 1913 J.J. Kroeker Foote Marriages of Father Foote: The fist marriage was to Eva Block on Oct. 10, 1886. This union was of 16 years, 10 mo. and 9 days duration. She died in an accident when the parents were on their way home from town. The horses ran away. Mother fell from the spring wagon and broke her neck. The second marriage was to Paulina Block, youngest sister of Eva, on April 18, 1904. She died of cancer. Duration of this union was 15 years, 7 months and 2 days. The third union was with Anna Funk-Bartel-Johnson. Father was her third husband. She had ten children of her own living, eleven stepchildren in the Johnson family and nine stepchildren in the Foote family, in all thirty children. The parents were married in March, 1921. She died of a stroke June 10 1948. This union consisted of 27 years and 3 months.

July 14, 1918 Bessie, Okla. M.B. Church July 12, 1924 Bessie, Okla. M.B. Church Aug. 29, Bessie, Okla. 1926 M.B. Church Aug. 29, Bessie, Okla. 1926 M.B. Church

Family Branch of Otto and Anna Foote-Miller Name Otto Miller Anna FooteMiller Children: Herbert Miller Esther Miller-Haley Walter Miller Birthday June 19, 1893 Dec. 14, 1893 Sept. 11, 1919 Mar. 20, 1922 Birth Place Russian Poland Marion, Kansas Bessie, Okla. Bessie, Okla. Date of Baptism May 31, 1914 Aug. 7, 1910 June 4, 1950 May 6, 1950 Immersion Oct. 10, 1948 May 26, 1946 May 26, 1946 June 4, 1950 Who Baptized Jacob Reimer Abraham Richert Elmo Warkentin Milton Halcomb H.W. Stigler Henry R. Wiens Henry R. Wiens Elmo Warkentin Church Affiliation Bessie, Okla. M.B. Church Corn, Okla. M.B. Church Bessie, Okla. M.B. Church Kingsdown, Kansas, 1st. Presbyterian Clinton, Okla., 1st Baptist Bessie, Okla. M.B. Church Bessie, Okla. M.B. Church Bessie, Okla. M.B. Church Wedding Date Jan. 6, 1918 Jan. 6, 1918 Feb. 21, 1943 Nov. 10, 1946 Mar. 8, 1952 Mr. 14, 1952 Sept. 2, 1956 Dec. 26, 1954 Feb. 21, 1943 Feb. 21, 1943

July 18, 1926 Bessie, Okla.

Alfred Jan. 23, 1931 Bessie, Okla. Heinrich Miller Raymond Apr. 1, 1933 Bessie, Okla. Lee Miller Loyd Willie Mar. 10, Bessie, Okla. Miller 1936 Married Children and their families: Herbert Miller Clara Evelyn Oct. 10, Cordell, Frey-Miller 1921 Okla. Gary Keith Oct. 29, Corn, Okla. Miller 1948 Esther Miller-Haley Wendell Stevens Haley Carla Jo Haley Charla Sue Haley Walter Miller Thirsa Ann HardinMiller Steven Dale Miller Mar. 20, 1922 Jan. 27, 1924

June 4, 1950

Elmo Warkentin

Bessie, Okla. M.B. Church

Kingsdown, Kansas

Jan. 17, 1937 Adopted: Oct. 12, 1956 Adopted: Oct. 12, 1956

R.J. Wohlgemuth

Kingsdown, Kansas, 1st Presbyterian

Nov. 10, 1946 Nov. 10, 1946

July 19, 1956 Kansas July 19, 1956 Kansas

Mar. 8, 1952 Oct. 3, 1930 June 28, 1954 Sayre, Okla. Clinton, Okla. June 15, 1941 H.W. Stigler Clinton, Okla. 1st Baptist Mar. 8, 1952

Family Branch of Otto and Anna Foote-Miller. Continued: Name Sharon Kay Miller Alfred Heinrich Miller Leota Jean Davis-Miller Rodney Dean Miller Rebecca Ann Miller Raymond Lee Miller Herwanna JanzenMiller Loyd Willie Miller Helen Jane Bartel-Miller Rickie Don Miller Birthday Feb. 14, 1957 Place of Birth Elk City, Okla. Date of Baptism Who Baptized Church Affiliation Wedding Date

Mar. 14, 1952 Aug. 11, 1933 July 12, 153 Nov. 17, 1955 Kingsdown, Kansas Houston, Texas Cordell, Okla. Apr. 23, 1954 Elmo Warkentin Bessie, Okla. M.B. Church Mar. 14, 1952

Sept. 2, 1956 July 14, 1932 Cloud Chief, Okla. Sept. 23, 1945 John K. Warkentin Corn, Okla. M.B. Church Sept. 2, 1956

Mar. 10, 1936 Oct. 9, 1937 Sept. 23, 1957

Cordell, Okla. Cordell, Okla.

June 15, 1947

John K. Siemens

Bessie, Okla. M.B. Church

Dec. 28, 1954 Dec. 28, 1954

Family Branch of Aaron William and Eva Foote-Krause. * Indicates additions in pen Name Eva FooteKrause Aaron William Krause Children: James Harold Krause Lois Ann Krause Married Children and their Children: James Harold Krause Betty Jean MillerKrause James Winston Krause Gregory Dean Krause *Michael Alan *Lois Ann Krause *Married to *Robert Wayne Decker *Paul Wayne Birthday June 12, 1897 Oct. 11, 1896 Birth Place Marion, Kansas Peach Springs, Butler Co., Kansas Kansas City, Kansas Wichita, Kansas Date of Baptism Sept. 15, 1912 Nov. 7, 1909 Church Affiliation Hillsboro, Kansas M.B. Church Hooker, Okla. K.M.B. Church Enid, Okla. City M.B. Church Enid, Okla. City M.B. Church Who Baptized Peter P. Rempel Jacob Fast Wedding Date July 14, 1927 July 14, 1927

Apr. 3, 1931 Dec. 22, 1938

Aug. 15, 1943 June 5, 1949

Peter C. Grunau Jack Adrian

Aug. 9, 1953

*April 3d 1931 Sept. 10, 1932

*Kansas City Kansas Route 2, Enid, Okla.

*Aug 15th 1943 Easter 1944

*M B Church Enid, Okla First Methodist Church, Enid, Okla.

*Peter C Grunah

Aug. 9, 1953 Aug. 9, 1953

July 18, 1955 Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Sept. 9, 1957 Oklahoma City, Okla. *Sept. 6 *St. Louis 1959 Mo. *Dec 22 1938 *Jan 2 1937 *July 14 1967 *Oklahoma City St. Anthony Hospital

The Albert Foote Family Branch. *Indicates additions in pen Name Albert Foote Elisabeth Janz-Foote Children: Lelia Virginia Foote Wilbur Lawrence Foote Virginia An BohlenFoote Marceda Ann Foote Leland Wallace Foote Priscilla Mae Foote Birthday Birth Place Date of Baptism Aug. 20, 1916 June 20, 1920 April 1, 1945 April 1, 1945 Aug. 15, 1943 Nov. 11, 1945 Nov. 28, 1948 May 2, 1948 Church Affiliation Bessie, Okla. M.B. Church Herbert, Sask. M.B. Church Kansas City Chelsea Baptist Kansas City Chelsea Baptist Kansas City Bethany Baptist Kansas City Chelsea Baptist Kansas City Chelsea Baptist Kansas City Chelsea Baptist Minister Who Baptized Jacob Reimer Heinrich Neufeld Rev. R.O. McCray Rev. R.O. McCray J. Clark Hensley Rev. R.O. McCray David G. House David G. House Sept. 24, 1955 Sept. 24, 1955 Marriage Date Aug. 3, 1927 Aug. 3, 1927

July 12, 1900 Aulne, Kansas Feb. 3, 1899 Hillsboro, Kansas Aug. 5, 1931 Kansas City, Mo.

July 23, 1933 Inman, Kansas Dec. 25, 1933 Mar. 31, 1937 Akron, Iowa Hillsboro, Kansas

July 18, 1939 Hillsboro, Kansas Nov. 1, 1941 Hillsboro, Kansas

*Married Children and their Children: Wilbur Lawrence Foote Virginia Ann BohlenFoote *David Lorin *Nov. 22, Foote 1957

*Portland, Oregon

Name Parents: Manuel Foote Mathilda Dyck-Foote Children: Howard Eugene Foote Diane Grace Foote *Mary Louis Foote Family Branch of Manuel and Mathilda Dyck-Foote. *Indicates additions in pencil Birthday Place of Date of Who Church Marriage Birth Baptism Baptized Affiliation Date Dec. 2, 1913 Ja. 24, 1916 Nov. 13, 1949 Dec. 21, 1955 No. 1 1942 Deceased Bessie, Okla. Corn, Okla. Bessie, Okla. Bessie, Okla. Bessie, Okla. Aug. 29, 1926 May 19, 1929 J.J. Krö*ker J.J. Wiebe Bessie, Okla. M.B.Church Corn, Okla. M.B. Church Dec. 22, 1940 Dec. 22, 1940


Umlaut added in pen

Name Paulina Foote Albert Foote Wilbur Lawrence Foote Date Aug. 12, 1922 1950 Dec. 25, Jan. 1, 1955 By Whom Ordained Jacob Reimer And Johann Foth David House Gale Tush And A.E. Janzen What Kind of Ministry Missionary Licensed Preacher Minister of the Gospel Church and Place Bessie, Okla., M.B. Church Kansas City, Chelsea Baptist Church Kansas City, Springvale Bible Church

Members of the Family Who Have Educational Degrees. * Indicates additions in pen

Name Paulina Foote Year of Graduation 1925 1932 Albert Foote 1928 1929 Lelia Virginia Foote Wilbur Lawrence Foote Lydia Foote 1954 1955 1941 *1959 1950 1954 1940 Aaron William Krause James Harold Krause Betty Jean Krause 1930 1953 1955 Name of School Tabor College, Hillsboro, Kansas Central Baptist Theological Seminary, Kansas City, Kansas Tabor College, Hillsboro, Kansas Kansas State University, Lawrence, Kansas Northwestern Bible School, Minneapolis, Minn. Northwestern Bible School, Minneapolis, Minn. Southwestern State College, Weatherford, Oklahoma Southwestern State College, Weatherford, Oklahoma Tabor College, Hillsboro, Kansas Tabor College, Hillsboro, Kansas Kansas City College of Osteopathy and Surgery Kansas City, Mo. Philipps University Enid, Oklahoma Philipps University Enid, Oklahoma American Society of Clinical Pathologists, University Hospital, Oklahoma City Minneapolis College of Music Oklahoma University, Oklahoma City, Okla. Degree Bachelor of Arts Bachelor of Theology Bachelor of Arts Master of Arts Bachelor of Arts Bachelor of Arts Bachelor of Science *Master of Arts Bachelor of Arts Bachelor of Theology Associate of Arts Doctor of Osteopathy Bachelor of Arts Bachelor of Arts

Martha Foote Manuel Foote

Lelia Virginia Foote *James Harold Krause

1955 June 1 1958

Bachelor of Music Doctor of Medicine

Occupations of the Henry Foote Family.

Father Henry Foote was a farmer. Early in his life after he was of age he bought an eighty acre farm. He borrowed a considerable sum to buy it. The debt became a burden to him. Since the land had some good limestone suitable for building purposes, he opened a stone quarry and worked very hard. By moving and lifting heavy stones with a crowbar he injured himself. He claimed that his ulcerated leg was the result of lifting too heavy stones. He had a leg with open wounds nearly all the time the rest of his life. In spite of the fact that he worked so hard, his debt was pressing him heavily. He turned to the Lord, asked Him to forgive hi from going into debt so deep and prayed that if [He] would help him to get rid of this burden, he was never again go into a large debt. The Lord heard his prayer and granted his desire. Later he admonished his children not to go into heavy debts for that was sin. The Lord blessed Father Foote materially. In his old age he owned 720 acres of good land which was all debt free.

Occupations of the Henry Foote Descendants.

Name Father Henry Foote Remarks Besides farming he quarried stone for several years ************************************************************************************* Paulina Foote Teacher in Rural Schools. Taught rural schools in Okla. For 7 terms. Missionary to China 1922-1950 Spent 1922-1929 in Fukien, China. Had an Retired and Pensioned 1950 etc. extended furlough 1929-34. Spent 1934-46 in Shantung, Honan, Kansu, Shensi, Szechuan, China. Did deputation work 1947-49. Retired and taken care of in the M.B. Home for the Aged, Corn, Okla. Anna Foote-Miller Farming They have lived on the same farm at Bessie, and Otto Miller Okla. since their marriage in Jan. 1918 Family Miller Children: Herbert Miller Farming and Carpentry work Farming was supplemented by carpentry done in spare time Esther Miller-Haley Farming and Managing of Grain In the beginning they farmed and worked in and Wendell Haley Elevators an elevator at Kingsdown, Kas. Later moved to Ashland, Kas. where he managed larger elevators and did not farm. Walter Miller Farmer and Storekeeper In addition to farming he worked in a TG&Y Store at Cordell, Okla. Later was transferred to a larger store at Elk City, Okla. And promoted to assistant manager of the store. Alfred Heinrich Farming supplemented by work in The bulldozer was used in Soil Conservation Miller a store and by operation a Projects. Worked in a store only a short time bulldozer Raymond Lee Miller Farming, working out and pursuing Works for farmers, takes jobs in Oklahoma a medi-course City and attends night classes in the University Loyd Willie Miller Farming and clerking in an Since farm machinery is so expensive, farmers electrical appliance store take up work to supplement farming ************************************************************************************ Eva Foote-Krause Physician Aaron has a Doctor of Osteopathy degree. and Aaron Wm. Started practice at Inman, Kas. Later moved to Krause Enid, Okla. Krause Children: James Harold Krause Is a medical student in a University in Oklahoma City. Is to graduate in 1958 Mrs. James Krause Medical Technician in Hospital Laboratory Lois Ann Krause Student in Tabor College at Hillsboro, Kas. Occupation Farming and Quarrying of stone


Name Albert Foote Occupation Teacher, Newspaper Carrier, Turkey Raiser, Manufactor of Packing Paper Remarks Taught in high schools, Tabor College and Kansas City Bible College, Has a Kansas City route of about 1000 subscribers. For about 6 yrs. Raised from 10,000 to 20,000 turkeys a yr. After that he got a paper shredder to produce packing paper.

Albert Foote ChildrenLelia Virginia Foote Wilbur Lawrence Foote Marceda Ann Foote

Teacher in Band Music in High School Missionary for Youth for Christ Bookkeeper

Organizes and supervises Bible Clubs in high schools in southern California Keeps book in a clinic for four doctors in Kansas City

Leland Wallace Foote Priscilla Mae Foote ************************************************************************************** Lydia Foote Teacher Between 1934-44 taught 7 yrs. In grade schools. During spring term of 1940 and all of 41 was student teacher of Zoology & Agricultural Botany at SW. State College Weathorford, Okla. Taught Gen. Sciecne, Math., Biology, Chemistry, Home Economics, Physical Ed., and Art in junior and senior high schools 1944Martha Foote Teacher Taught rural schools 1938-47. Since 1952 taught Mathematics, Biology, Gen. Science and Sunday School Pedagogy at the Corn Bible Academy at Corn, Okla. Manuel Foote Farming and Electrical Wireing Farming was supplemented with electrical wireing. Active in church work. Has been member of the church council and is member of the Corn M.B. Gospel Team and is Sunday School Superintendant