You are on page 1of 50

1844

The foundation stone of Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH), the first and only hospital for the unfortu- nate sick poor, is laid on Pearl’s Hill on 25 July.

Our founder, Tan Tock Seng, a businessman, phi- lanthropist and the first Asian Justice of Peace, donates Spanish $7,000 to build the hospital.

1852

Tan Kim Cheng, son of Tan Tock Seng, donates $2,000 to improve the hospital with better drain- age, water supply and other additions.

1854

Syed Allie Bin Mohd Alju- nied, an Arab merchant, donates $1,000 for prop- erty investment. The rents collected are used for the hospital.

1858

Tan Kim Cheng donates $3,340 for the hospital’s relocation after the government’s decision to fortify Pearl’s Hill as a military post. Construction of a female ward, funded by Lee Seo Neo, Tan Tock Seng’s widow, also begins.

1860

TTSH moves to its second site at the junction of Serangoon and Balestier Roads.

1861

Patients move to the new hospital nicknamed “House of the Poor”, with two separate wards for women and patients suffering from Hansens Disease.

1879

Tan Beng Swee, a philanthropist, builds 3 new wards. The Chinese community donates

$15,000.

1892

A freehold property in Rochor is donated by landed proprietor, Gan Eng Seng.

1903

Businessman Loke Yew donates $50,000 to purchase land between Moulmein and Balestier Roads, the third hospital site.

1907

Classes are held for the first batch of medical students.

1910

Ong Kim Wee, a philanthropist, donates $12,000 for a ward for the blind.

Iodine is used to disinfect skin for the first time.

Spinal anaesthesia for procedures done on the lower body is introduced.

TTSH produces Singapore’s first batch of graduate doctors and its reputation as a teaching hospital grows.

1930

An x-ray room is installed, marking the beginning of the “TB Hospital”.

1937

A medical milestone is achieved with the successful treatment of beri-beri with Vitamin B1.

1943

The hospital is used by the Japanese during the Occupation as their medical hospital and subsequently becomes a civilian hospital.

1945

The first penicillin injection is given to treat a lung abscess.

TTSH is designated as the centre for TB treatment.

1948

Expatriate wives of British servicemen form the Diversional Therapy Unit to raise the spirits of long staying TB patients.

1949

The Rotary Clinic for TB is set up with 2 x-ray machines.

1957

Five 6-storey multi-ward blocks are added to the hospital.

1961

TTSH is transferred to government hands.

1967

First open-heart surgery is carried out in TTSH.

1969

Over 100 open-heart operations are done in TTSH with a 95% success rate.

1972

A surgical unit in the Department of Neurosurgery and Neurology is opened by the Minister of Health, Chua Sian Chin.

1973

The first departments of Neurology and Neurosurgery in Singapore are established and TTSH becomes the nation’s major referral centre.

Singapore’s first department of Rehabilitation Medicine is set up for the treatment of stroke and other neurological disorders, spinal cord and head injuries, arthritis and other orthopaedic conditions.

1973

The first departments of Neurology and Neurosurgery in Singapore are established and TTSH becomes the nation’s major referral centre.

Singapore’s first department of Rehabilitation Medicine is set up for the treatment of stroke and other neurological disorders, spinal cord and head injuries, arthritis and other orthopaedic conditions.

1976

TTSH’s cardiac surgeons perform Singapore’s first coronary by-pass operation.

1981

The Artificial Limb Centre (ALC) is set up.

1984

Khoo Teck Puat, a hotel tycoon, donates $250,000 for a self- dialysis unit.

1985

TTSH sets up Singapore’s first night clinic to divert non- emergency cases from the overcrowded Accident and Emergency Unit

Singapore’s first bone marrow transplant takes place at TTSH

Middleton Hospital, which treated infectious diseases, is absorbed into TTSH as the Communicable Disease Centre.

1986

The first Organ Procurement Unit starts work in TTSH to get more kidneys for transplants.

1989

TTSH opens Singapore’s first Geriatric Unit.

1990

The CT-directed stereotactic system is used for the first time in the region to accurately locate a small, deep brain tumour and excise it.

1992

TTSH becomes a restructured hospital on 1 April.

1994

TTSH turns 150 years old and the TTSH 150th Anniversary Charity Fund is established to assist the less fortunate.

TTSH launches Singapore’s first Critical Care Information System in our Neuro-Intensive Care Unit (NICU).

TTSH is the first Singapore hospital to be featured on the Internet.

1995

TTSH becomes the first local hospital to provide Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) to patients.

TTSH becomes the first hospital in ASEAN to perform Tracheobronchial Stenting for central airway obstruction.

1996

The foundation stone of the new TTSH is laid in June, marking the completion of the building’s sub-structural work.

The Patient Education Centre at the Communicable Disease Centre opens TTSH becomes the region’s first hospital to treat cerebral arterial aneurysm without surgery. It also begins performing radical perineal prostatectomy and laparoscopic transgastric resection of submucosal tumours of the stomach.

TTSH offers sterotatic MRI guided thalamotomy for patients with Parkinson’s Disease, a regional first.

1997

TTSH establishes Asia’s first Medication Management Centre.

The Cardiac Rehabilitation Programme is set up.

TTSH is the only local MRI Centre with full anaesthesiological support.

The techniques of Portal Vein Embolization to augment liver volume prior to hepatectomy performed is the first in the region.

TTSH launches the Singapore TB Elimination Programme (STEP) in April along with the Ministry of Health.

TTSH organizes the first-ever regional meeting entitled ‘Interscience Medicine – Working Together Towards Improving Patient Care.

1997

First hospital in the region to open an Erectile Dysfunction Clinic.

First hospital to use Documentation Based Care (DBC) machines for back care.

The Quality Service Programme is launched to equip all staff to deliver quality service.

1998

First hospital in the region to open an Erectile Dysfunction Clinic.

First hospital to use Documentation Based Care (DBC) machines for back care.

The Quality Service Programme is launched to equip all staff to deliver quality service.

1999

TTSH is fully operational on its fourth site on 4 May.

The new TTSH logo is launched.

The TTSH Neuroscience Division is now the National Neuroscience Institute.

2000

The new TTSH is officially opened by then Deputy Prime Minister BG (NS) Lee Hsien Loong on 1 April.

TTSH becomes a member of the National Healthcare Group (NHG).

2001

TTSH marked as a historic institution on 25 July by the National Heritage Board and the Heritage Museum is opened.

TTSH is the only healthcare institution awarded a Merit Award at the Open Employment Awards for its role in employing the disabled.

TTSH doctors perform the first successful cases of macular translocation in Southeast Asia.

TTSH doctors perform Asia’s first ever fit-bone surgery.

A Non-invasive Ventilation Unit opens.

The Clinical Immunology Laboratory and the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine’s laboratories are accredited by the Commission on Laboratory Accreditation of the College of American Pathologists (CAP).

Establishes the Heart Failure Clinic, Outpatient Antibiotic Clinic, Infectious Disease Research Centre and the Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Clinic.

2002

TTSH is awarded the People Developer Standard (PDS) certification.

TTSH is the first local hospital to be awarded joint certification for ISO14001, an international standard for an environmental management system, and Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Series (OHSAS) 18001.

Singapore’s first Hyperbaric Medicine Centre opens in TTSH.

A work-related Musculoskeletal Disorders Clinic is set up, in conjunction with the Ministry of Manpower.

TTSH launches the Centre for Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery and invests in a Virtual Endoscopy Trainer – a local first.

2003

TTSH opens a one-stop cancer centre with The Cancer Institute and NHG.

The first Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) patient is admitted to TTSH on 1 March.

TTSH is designated as the hospital for the treatment of SARS patients on 22 March.

Singapore is declared SARS-free on May 31.

The Centre for Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery’s laparoscopic training is accredited by the Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES) in July.

The Eye Institute’s operations in TTSH expand with the opening of the Eye Centre.

The Department of Rehabilitation Medicine begins a three-year project with the Singapore International Foundation to provide training to healthcare professionals of Laos National Rehabilitation Centre.

TTSH is awarded the most Courage Stars and Medals in the Courage Awards.

The Singapore Government confers The Public Service Star Award to Dr Lim Suet Wun, CEO of NHG and TTSH, Dr Leo Yee Sin, Clinical Director of Communicable Disease Centre and A/Prof Philip Choo, Chairman, Medical Board of TTSH for their outstanding contributions in the SARS battle.

2004

TTSH wins the Manchester Business School Award for Best Contingency Plan when dealing with various human resource issues during the SARS outbreak.

TTSH and Khoo Foundation sign a Memorandum of Understanding to manage a Community Rehabilitation Programme for low-income patients with stroke or neurological conditions.

The book, “SARS – The Silent War” is launched in May to commemorate the hospital’s fight against the epidemic.

TTSH’s public relations initiatives bag the International Public Relations Association Golden World Awards Grand Prize for Excellence.

2005

The Emergency Diagnosis and Therapy Centre (EDTC) is set up to provide protocol-based treatment for patients with acute conditions that require short and focused care.

Completion of Emergency Department’s renovation and expansion programme, increasing the department’s capacity by 30 per cent.

The Department of Ophthalmology introduces Intralase for a contact-less, all laser LASIK procedure for vision correction.

The first Definitive Surgical Trauma Care Course in Singapore is organised for surgeons to acquire advanced techniques in trauma management.

TTSH achieves Joint Commission International (JCI) accreditation.

TTSH wins Singapore H.E.A.L.T.H Platinum award for workplace health promotion programme.

2006

The Institute of Plastic Surgery Singapore provides plastic surgery services through private-public sector collaboration.

Johns Hopkins Singapore International Medical Centre relocates from NUH to TTSH to provide world-class oncology care.

Asia’s first NovaVision Vision Restoration is introduced to treat patients left partially blind by stroke or brain injury.

The hospital’s Trauma Centre organises the first Basic Trauma Life Support Course and Basic Emergency Sonography for Trauma Course in restructured hospitals.

TTSH integrates the Smart Messaging System with the CCOE system to send test results and patients’ prescriptions to doctors’ handphones for verification and authentication.

TTSH adopts filmless technology, leading to shorter waiting times for results and seamless transference of information between care providers.

2006

Online Patient Dashboard Information System to send real-time bed supply and demand information for better assignment decisions is introduced.

Publishes an educational booklet “8 Important Things to Know About Bird Flu” for 250,000 households in Singapore, with the Central Singapore Community Development Council.

The Art of Healing, a programme employing all art forms for its therapeutic quality, is launched.

TTSH is the first hospital to win the ASEAN Energy Efficient Building Award (Retrofitted Building) and the Platinum Award in the 2006 BCA Green Mark certification for its green efforts.

Emergency Department embarks on a three-year project with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and industry sponsors to provide training for Thai emergency physicians.

2007

Corporate Communications, Nursing and volunteers start the region’s first Night Sitter Volunteer Programme to reach out to patients in geriatric wards.

The Rheumatology, Allergy and Immunology Department introduces the region’s first Nailfold Video Capillaroscopy system for patients with rheumatic diseases.

Palliative Care Services is accredited as a Palliative Medicine training centre by the Specialist Accreditation Board.

The Orchid Botanica garden and the TTSH orchid are launched, bringing holistic healing beyond wards and clinics.

2008

The Musculoskeletal Centre, Eye Alignment Clinic and Children’s Eye Centre are opened.

World-renowned musician Kitaro visits TTSH for the Art of Healing programme.

2008 The hospital collaborates with artistes T’ang Quartet, Phoon Yew Tian and Katryna Tan to release a classical music CD, Truly TTSH: The True Sound of Healing, a world’s first for a hospital.

The DOT-Diabetes programme is implemented for a smoother transition between hospital care and family physicians.

The robotic orthosis, Lokomat, is introduced to provide better rehabilitation outcomes for patients with gait problems.

A Memorandum of Understanding is signed with Singapore Polytechnic to collaborate in the teaching and research of clinical optometry.

The Division of Integrative and Community Care, encompassing the departments of Geriatric Medicine, Continuing and Community Care, and Palliative Medicine, is launched.

2009

A Memorandum of Understanding with Ren Ci Hospital and Medicare Centre to provide clinical expertise and improve the quality of step-down care is signed.

The hospital signs a Memorandum of Understanding with Thailand’s Sirindhorn National Medical Rehabilitation Centre to promote mutual collaboration in rehabilitation manpower development.

The CSI (Clean, Safe, Infection-free): Wash & Win Promotion marks the first time a hospital launches a public education campaign to increase awareness of good hand hygiene, rewarding participants with the grand prize of a sponsored car.

The first Influenza A (H1N1-2009) patient is admitted to TTSH on 26 May.

TTSH’s lean management and human resource development projects win two Excellence Awards (runner-up) in the Asian Hospital Management Awards.