Chants, Mantras, Sutras and Prayers
We chant to invoke our natural state of Yoga, to purify the astral body, leading to the upliftment of mind and emotions. Chanting aligns us to cosmic frequencies. Once aligned, we enjoy yoga, automatic harmony with the Divine, pulsating in the ocean of Bliss. THE GREAT INVOCATIONS
1. OM Om is the original and most powerful mantra. It is the primal sound of the divine in its essential manifestation. In the beginning was the word and the word is OM.
SRI GAYATHRI MANTRA
2. SRI GAYATHRI MANTRA OM BHUR BHUVAH SVAH TAT SAVITUR VARENYAM BHARGO DEVASYA DHIMAHI DHYO YONAH PRACHODAYAT Om (pervades) earth, atmosphere and heavens. That self-luminous, brilliant Divinity, who is the Supreme Source. On that we meditate. May that sacred light illumine our intellects. Om is the waters, the light essence, the immortal reality. Om (pervades) earth, atmosphere and heavens. Or: May that unlimited Divine energy, that cosmic power, inspire my intellect to lead me on a life of good actions by purifying the inner heart.
SARVAMANGALAM BHAVATU BHAVATU BHAVATU. SARVAMANGALAM BHAVATU BHAVATU BHAVATU. VAAYUMANGALAM. on water. on the moon. May the thoughts and actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to that freedom for all!
OM SHANTIH SHANTIH SHANTIH
4. SOORYAMANGALAM. on the sun. in fire. Peace. JEEVAMANGALAM. on our planet. in all living beings. in the mind and in the spirit. in the wind. MANOMANGALAM. May there be tranquility on earth. in the sky. CHANDRAMANGALAM. in the body. Peace. MANGALAM BHOOMIMANGALAM. GAGANAMANGALAM. AATMAMANGALAM. OM SHANTIH SHANTIH SHANTIH Om. DEHAMANGALAM. Peace
5. UDAKA MANGALAM. JAGAT MANGALAM.
.(Translation by Sri Karunamayi)
LOKAHA SAMASTA SUKHINO BHAVANTU
3. May that tranquility be everywhere and in everyone. AGNIMANGALAM. LOKAHA SAMASTA SUKHINO BHAVANTU May all beings everywhere be happy and free.
VIDYÄRAMBHAM KARISHYÄMI SIDHIR BHAVATU ME SADÄ. URVVARUKAMIVA BANDHANAN MRTYOR MUKSHIYA MAMRITAT We offer our worship to the fragrant three-eyed (immanent and transcendent) Shiva who confers ever increasing health . May we never turn away from deathlessness.
. prosperity. URVVARUKAMIVA BANDHANAN MRTYOR MUKSHIYA MAMRITAT
6.OM TRAYAMBAKAM YAJAMAHE SUGANDHIM PUSHTIVARDHANAM.
SARASVATI NAMASTUBHYAM VARADE KÄMARÜPINI. Please liberate us from the bondage of death as effortlessly as an urdvaruka fruit (water melon) is separated from the vine (when completely mature). OM TRAYAMBAKAM YAJAMAHE SUGANDHIM PUSHTIVARDHANAM.
MUKTABHIMANI MUKTO HI BADDHO BADDHAVHIMANI API KIM VADANTI IHA SATYA IYAM YA MATIH SA GATIH BHAVE
8. SA-so or in that way. IYAMthat is.
. going). opening. mind). to release). BADDHABHIMANI-one bound in mind (from badh. MATIH-the mind (from mat. GATIH-it is going (from fam. to contract. VADANTI-they say (from vak. BHAVET-grows. expanding) how the mind. SARASVATI NAMASTUBHYAM VARADE KÄMARÜPINI. MUKTO-is free. who gives boons. becomes (from bhu. growing. one who considers himself bound is bound. BADDHO-bound. Oh revered Goddess Sarasvati (essence of all ) salutations to you.7. MUKTABHIMANI MUKTO HI BADDHO BADDHAVHIMANI API KIM VADANTI IHA SATYA IYAM YA MATIH SA GATIH BHAVE -Astavakra Samhita I. expands. mind). so the going becomes
Surely one considers himself free is free. one unchanging). VIDYÄRAMBHAM KARISHYÄMI SIDHIR BHAVATU ME SADÄ. (with your grace) may there always be accomplishment for me. APIalso. tie and man. who is in the form of all desires and desirable objects. SATYA-true (from sat.10
MUKTAVHIMANI-One free in mind (from muc. As I am prayerfully beginning my studies. voice). KIM-what. YA-how. As one thinks so one attains. Absolute Being. HI-indeed.
Honor! TO THE TEACHERS:
OM GURU BRAHMA GURU VISHNU GURU DEVO MAHESHWARA GURU SAK SHAT PARAM BRAHMA
. Gone beyond even beyond to that one who has been there. GATE GATE PARA GATE PARA SAM GATE. BODHI SWAHA Gone. BODHI SWAHA
10. Gone.BUDDHIST MANTRAS:
OM MANI PADME HUM
9. OM MANI PADME HUM (OM MANI PEME HUNG) Hail the jewel in the lotus of the spiritual heart
GATE GATE PARA GATE PARA SAM GATE.
There is a Guru that is near by. We offer all our efforts to our Guru. and a Guru that is beyond the beyond. Alluleulia!
OM. VANDE GURUNAM
. OM BOLO SAT GURU BHAGAVAN KI JAI HARI OM TAT SAT God is the only Real teacher. OM GURU BRAHMA GURU VISHNU GURU DEVO MAHESHWARA GURU SAK SHAT PARAM BRAHMA TASMAI SHRI GURUVAY NAMAHAH TASMAI SHRI GURUVAY NAMAHAH The duration of our lives is that Guru.
OM BOLO SAT GURU BHAGAVAN KI JAI HARI OM TAT SAT
12. Our trials and the death of the body is that Guru.TASMAI SHRI GURUVAY NAMAHAH TASMAI SHRI GURUVAY NAMAHAH
VANDE GURUNAM CHARANARAVINDE
.CHARANARAVINDE SAMDARSHITA SWAATMA SUKHAVABODHE NISHREYASE JANGALIKAYAMANE SAMSARA HALA HALA MOHASHANTIEH ABAHU PURUSHAKARAM SHANKA CHAKRASI DHARINAM SAHASRA SHIRASAM SHVETAM PRANAMAMI PATANJALI. OM
13. INVOCATION TO PATANJALI (TRADITIONAL MANTRA OF ASTANGA VINYASA YOGA) OM.
a discus and a sword and having one thousand heads of light.
. restriction. ATHA YOGANUSHASANAM -Patanjali’s Yoga Sutra 1-1 This is yoga as I have observed it in the natural world. identity with Self.SAMDARSHITA SWAATMA SUKHAVABODHE NISHREYASE JANGALIKAYAMANE SAMSARA HALA HALA MOHASHANTIEH ABAHU PURUSHAKARAM SHANKA CHAKRASI DHARINAM SAHASRA SHIRASAM SHVETAM PRANAMAMI PATANJALI. (fluctuations of the mind). the Self. VRITTI-fluctuations of mind. union with God. lasting happiness. YOGASHCHITTA VRITTI NIRODHA -Patanjali’s Yoga Sutra 1-2
YOGA-samadhi. the great sage and doctor Who could remove the poison from a snake bite. ecstasy. Taking the form of a man up to the hands. Om FROM THE YOGA SUTRA:
14. These teachings remove the poison of Samsara. to Patanjali I bow. which is Samadhi. ecstasy and bliss. NIRODHAH-cessation. Holding a conch.
When you stop identifying with your thoughts. Like Jangalika. thoughts (from vrt:to whirl). then there is Yoga.
YOGASHCHITTA VRITTI NIRODHA
15. CHITTA-mind (from cit: to perceive). Great happiness that lies within. OM I bow to the lotus feet of the guru who teaches The knowledge that awakens us to the Om.
ISWARA PRANIDHANANI-surrender of small self to God.
D???? Your desire and intention must be hot. the study of the higher Self.
TAPAH SVADHYAYA ISHWARA PRANIDHANANI KRIYA YOGAH
16. surrender of individuality and identification. You must make effort to continuously study the subject.
YAMA NIYAMA ASANA PRANAYAMA PRATYARHARA DHARANA DHYANA SAMADHYAYO
. These are the action to be taken to realize Yoga. you attain the identity of God. PRANIDHANAD-devotion. SVADHYAYA-Self study. God. KRIYA YOGAH-the actions taken to attain Yoga. union with God. You must devote all your efforts to the Supreme Self. VA-OR???? positively (brings) perfection
By giving your life and identity to God. ISVARA-PRANIDHNADAD-VA
–Patanjali’s Yoga Sutra 1-23
ISVARA-Supreme Purusa. to be hot) intense discipline. God. TAPAH SVADHYAYA ISHWARA PRANIDHANANI KRIYA YOGAH -Patanjali’s Yoga Sutra II-1
TAPAH-to burn. (from tap.
breath control. BRAHMACHARYAto move sexual energy towards God (continence). truthfulness. PRANAYAMA-to restrain the life force. highest) yoga. greedlessness.
AHIMSA SATYA ASTEYA BRAHMACHARYA APARIGRAHA YAMAH
19. to set it free. DHARANA-concentration (from dhr. ASANA-seat. YAMA NIYAMA ASANA PRANAYAMA PRATYARHARA DHARANA DHYANA SAMADHYAYO ASTAVANGANI
Patanjali’s Yoga Sutra II-29 –
YAMA-restraint (from yam. APARIGRAHA-non-hoarding of things
Non-harming. SATYA-truthfullness. ASTAVANGANI-eight steps of Yoga
Restraint. non-stealing. concentration. meditation and ecstasy are the eight limbs of yoga.
SAUCHA SANTOSHA TAPAH SVADHYAYA ISHVARA PRANIDHANANI
. continence. SAMADHI-ecstasy (from sam. PRATYAHARA-sense withdrawel. same + dhi. to restrain). These are five restraints. AHIMSA SATYA ASTEYA BRAHMACHARYA APARIGRAHA YAMAH -Patanjali’s Yoga Sutra II-30
AHIMSA-non-harming. posture. observance. ASTEYA-non-stealing. to hold). to restrain). NIYAMA-observance (from ni+yam. posture.ASTAVANGANI
18. sense withdrawal. DHYANA-meditation.
SVADHYAYAStudy of the Self.
21. These are the five observances. devotion to God. joyful. Sukha: easy.NIYAMA
20. posture. Self study. Asanam: seat. comfortable. stable. SANTOSHA-contentment. ISVARAPRANIDHANANI-devotion to God. TAPAH-self-discipline. STIRHA-SUKHAM-ASANAM (Patanjali’s Yoga Sutra II:46) Sthira: steady. self-discipline.
INVOCATION BY TEACHER AND STUDENT:
OM SAHA NA VAVATU SAHA NAU BHUNAKTU SAHA VEERYAM KARA VA VAHAI TEJASVINAVADHITAMASTU MA VIDVISHAA VAHAI
. connection to the ground.Patanjali’s Yoga Sutra II-32
SAUCHA-cleanliness. contentment. SAUCHA SANTOSHA TAPAH SVADHYAYA ISHVARA PRANIDHANANI NIYAMA
the mind becomes saturated with the mantras and easily achieves one-pointedness. May our studies be brilliant May we together grow and may there never be enmity or dissonance between teacher and student. steadfastness is entrenched. The heart is stabilized on its goal and begins to taste the joy which is the inner essence of the mantras. and one becomes naturally absorbed in inner love and contentment. As one continues to chant. One realizes that the heart is the abode of deep peace. It overcomes dreariness.Swami Muktananda
. May we be blessed with a bright intellect. OM SAHA NA VAVATU SAHA NAU BHUNAKTU SAHA VEERYAM KARA VA VAHAI TEJASVINAVADHITAMASTU MA VIDVISHAA VAHAI OM SHANTI SHANTI SHANTIH May we be protected.
The divine name is the pure nectar of bliss.OM SHANTI SHANTI SHANTIH
22. and anxieties vanish. where love gushes. and the image of God shines forth. The smouldering coals of failure are extinguished. -.