Independent Literacy Contract. To be completed in this booklet unless stated otherwise. You have until the last day of Term 3 to complete this contract. All activities are compulsory unless they say ‘choice’. Use your time wisely.
Before Reading 1. Fill in this table: Title: Author: Illustrator: First Published (Year): Dedicated To: Number of Chapters: Number of Pages: 2. Read the blurb. What do you think ‘whoppsy-whiffling human beans are?
3. Fill in this t-chart of the human and giant characters in this novel:
Where do you think Sophie lives?
3.After Reading Chapter 1 – The Witching Hour 1. Who do you think is coming down the street?
*CHOICE* Draw a mini picture of them. Write a list of all the words that Roald Dahl has written in capital letters.
After Reading Chapter 2 – Who? 1. Why are these words written in caps lock? 2
2. How does Sophie describe ‘Witching Hour’?
Draw a picture of the place.
. What does it look/smell/feel like? Do this in 30 words.3. What do you think is going to happen to Sophie?
After Reading Chapter 3 – The Snatch 1. Describe where you think the giant is taking Sophie. What were the names of the 2 children the ‘giant person’ got in this chapter? ____________________________________________________________ 4.
3. What’s the difference between how Sophie is feeling and how the giant is feeling at the moment?
What ways did Sophie think she was going to get eaten?
2. Do this in 30 words. What does BFG stand for? ___________________________________________
. Write a description of the clothes the giant was wearing. If you were a giant.
3. What do you think is going to happen to Sophie? Draw or write your ideas:
After Reading Chapter 5 – The BFG 1.After Reading Chapter 4 – The Cave 1. what kind of human beans would you eat and where would they be from?
What do these words mean? Use a dictionary to help you. Why did the BFG cry a tear-drop that could fill a bucket?
3. Who is Mrs Clonkers?
2. Write a list of all the countries and cities mentioned in this chapter:
4. What does the BFG want to ride on? __________________________________
. *CHOICE* Draw or trace the picture of Sophie and the BFG on page 27 in your TOPIC BOOK. After Reading Chapter 7 – The Marvellous Ears 1.
hullabaloo motionless gallop
2.3. *CHOICE* Go on Google Earth to find all these countries and cities. Cross them off your list when you find them. How many giants are there? _________________________________________ 3. After Reading Chapter 6 – The Giants 1.
How does the BFG catch dreams? Draw a picture:
After Reading Chapter 8 – Snozzcumbers 1.
. Why does the BFG not talk properly?
2. Are giants born? Yes/No 4. *CHOICE* What did the snozzcumber taste like?
After Reading Chapter 9 – The Bloodbottler 1. Describe the Bloodbottler. Are there female giants? Yes/No 3.4. Do giants know how old they are? Yes/No 5. Do this in 30 words.
What do giants drink? _______________________________________________ 2. Write some BFG words that mean happy:
. Draw a comic strip of what happened to Sophie when she drank the frobscottle:
After Reading Chapter 11 – Journey to Dream Country 1. What is a ‘whizzpopper’ and what does it mean when a giant does one?
3. *CHOICE* Draw a picture of a chilly chilli in Chile:
After Reading Chapter 10 – Frobscottle and Whizzpoppers 1. Where did Sophie hide? _____________________________________________ 3.2.
What happened to the BFG and Sophie when they were trying to pass the other giants?
3. What did the BFG mean by ‘once in a blue baboon’?
After Reading Chapter 12 – Dream-Catching 1. What was the BFG’s brilliant idea?
3. What’s the difference between a winksquiffer and a trogglehumper?
2. What ‘Jack’ are they talking about?
. *CHOICE* Draw a picture of what you think Dream Country would look like. Do this in your TOPIC BOOK. What do you think Dream Country is like?
4. How many dreams did they catch? ___________________________________ After Reading Chapter 13 – A Trogglehumper for the Fleshlumpeater 1.
Write your own recipe for a dream. Include a picture and border. *CHOICE* Publish your dream on the computer.
After Reading Chapter 15 – The Great Plan 1. Can the BFG count? Give an example from this chapter:
2.After Reading Chapter 14 .Dreams 1. Set it up like a cooking recipe with ingredients.
2. mixing instructions and short description of the dream. Your dream can be a ‘Golden Phizzwizard’ of a ‘Trogglehumper’. What sort of dream does Sophie want the BFG to mix for the Queen?
After Reading Chapter 16 – Mixing the Dream 1. What do these words mean?
2. Where did they land in London? _____________________________________ After Reading Chapter 18 – The Palace 1. Where did Sophie sit? _______________________________________________ After Reading Chapter 17 – Journey to London 1. Do you think their plan is going to work? Why or why not?
After Reading Chapter 19 – The Queen 1. What did the BFG use for a knife. Who did Sophie and the BFG see? ____________________________________ 2. What did the Queen do before Sophie called for the BFG?
After Reading Chapter 20 – The Royal Breakfast 1. fork and spoon? 11
. Who is Mary? ______________________________________________________ 2. How did the BFG mix the dreams? ____________________________________ 2.
Choose your favourite character and fill in the details: Name/s: Female/Male: Age: (approx) 12
. How many helicopters followed the BFG back to Giant Country? _________ 2. What does gratitude mean? __________________________________________ 2. What was happening back in England while the giants were being captured?
After Reading Chapter 24 – The Author 1.After Reading Chapter 21 – The Plan 1. What did the Army man think was guns? ______________________________ After Reading Chapter 23 – Feeding Time 1. How did the novel end?
After Reading the Whole Book 1. What did the BFG say after the Queen said ‘Two wrongs don’t make a right’? ______________________________________________________________ After Reading Chapter 22 – Capture! 1.
2. Read another Roald Dahl book from the library.
. Read the info about Roald Dahl at the front and back of the book. *CHOICE* Draw a sketch of your favourite character. 3. Design your own book cover for this novel. Read all the extra bits at the back of the book – read the weird words. Write 5 Fast Facts about him:
1 2 3 4 5
*CHOICE* Activities 1. check out some of the websites or create some artwork of one of the giants.
4.Best Friend: 3 describing words: 3. Do this in your TOPIC BOOK.