You are on page 1of 2

From: Sandy Rosenthal <Sandy@levees.

org> Date: Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 7:17 AM Subject: Re: Levee Breach Nomination To: Pat Duncan <> Cc:, Pam Breaux <>, Nicole Hobson-Morris <>, "HJ Bosworth Jr." <>
Dear Pat and Nicole, I would like to offer an idea that might help everyone. I have thought about your consideration (to postpone our presentation until November) because the FPO as well as the Corps' legal counsel, have not had an opportunity to review our nomination despite a letter submitted by your office to Ken Holder of the Corps's New Orleans office dated July 15, 2011. We see that you have done everything right. You have followed the rules and regulations, and have properly notified the landowners of the two breach sites and given them the ample appropriate timelines to comment. We understand that somehow, your communication did not get noticed by one landowner, the United States Army Corps of Engineers, New Orleans District. We also observe that the Corps of Engineers did not say no, but that they say they have not reviewed the nomination yet. Even though they were properly alerted by you about our nomination on July 15, 2011. And we note that even though the COE did not meet its deadline, many other supporters did meet their deadlines. You and Nicole have worked very hard for twelve months. And so has Jim Gabbert. And so has Mark Barnes, HJ Bosworth Jr, Heather Ruoss, Ezra Boyd, and many many others. And so has United States Senator Mary Landrieu, Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu, the New Orleans City Council, historian Douglas Brinkley, the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and literally dozens of others who submitted letters of support in honor of the deadlines set by your office. Today, many dozens of supporters are driving to Baton Rouge Capital Park to observe our presentation. Further, press releases went out on August 16th, meaning members of the press are aware of the presentation and plan to attend. We dont want for anything to be misconstrued. We ask for you to keep to your established agenda. Please consider allowing us to present before the State Committee Meeting today so we can get the "sense" of the Louisiana Advisory Board. By going forward as planned on todays agenda, we can honor everyone who has met their deadlines. Its our understanding that there is a 45-day comment period following the State Review Committee assessment today during which the FPO is allowed to review and comment on our nomination. In addition to that time period, we,, are more than happy to agree to give the COE an extension to comment on the nomination and register their support - or not - for the Inner Navigation Canal part of the nomination. We are happy to agree that the nomination, and accompanying many dozens of support letters, will not be sent to DC until the Corps has been given an extra 14 days to chime in, far outside of what is required under NRHP regulations. Its also our understanding from Pat that a representative with the Corps will be at the meeting today so he/she can say whatever the Corps wants to at that time. We see no need to delay the entire presentation.

In presenting today to the State Review Committee, we would make sure there is a clear understanding that this nomination will not go to DC until the COE has this extra time to review the nomination document. We hope this is an alternative approach will help everyone. Sandy

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Pat Duncan <> wrote:
In keeping with our telephone conversation this date, we want to notify you that we just received a request from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to postpone the August 18 presentation of the levee breach nomination to the National Register Review Committee. This request is being made because Mr. Terrence Salt, Federal Preservation Officer and Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Army, as well as the Corps' legal counsel, have not had an opportunity to review the document despite a letter submitted by this office to Ken Holder of the Corps's New Orleans office dated July 15, 2011. We have decided to delay our decision on this matter until after we consult with authorities at the National Park Service in the morning. We will notify you as soon as we receive this clarification. Patricia Duncan Architectural Historian National Register Coordinator Louisiana Division of Historic Preservation Office of Cultural Development Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism PO Box 44247, Baton Rouge, LA 70804 Tel: 225-219-4595

-Sandy Rosenthal Founder and Director, Levees.Org