LSD-25 Synthesis

from "Psychedelic Guide to the Preparation of the Eucharist" Preparatory arrangements: Starting material may be any lysergic acid derivative, from ergot on rye grain or from culture, or morning glory seeds or from synthetic sources. Preparation #1 uses any amide, or lysergic acid as starting material. Preparations #2 and #3 must start with lysergic acid only, prepared from the amides as follows: 10 g of any lysergic acid amide from various natural sources dissolved in 200 ml of methanolic KOH solution and the methanol removed immediately in vacuo. The residue is treated with 200 ml of an 8% aqueous solution of KOH and the mixture heated on a steam bath for one hour. A stream of nitrogen gas is passed through the flask during heating and the evolved NH3 gas may be titrated is HCl to follow the reaction. The alkaline solution is made neutral to congo red with tartaric acid, filtered, cleaned by extraction with ether, the aqueous solution filtered and evaporated. Digest with MeOH to remove some of the coloured material from the crystals of lysergic acid. Arrange the lighting in the lab similarly to that of a dark room. Use photographic red and yellow safety lights, as lysergic acid derivatives are decomposed when light is present. Rubber gloves must be worn due to the highly poisonous nature of ergot alkaloids. A hair drier, or, better, a flash evaporator, is necessary to speed up steps where evaporation is necessary. Preparation #1 Step I. Use Yellow light Place one volume of powdered ergot alkaloid material in a tiny roundbottom flask and add two volumes of anhydrous hydrazine. An alternate procedure uses a sealed tube in which the reagents are heated at 112 C. The mixture is refluxed (or heated) for 30 minutes. Add 1.5 volumes of H2O and boil 15 minutes. On cooling in the refrigerator, isolysergic acid hydrazide is crystallised. Step II. Use Red light Chill all reagents and have ice handy. Dissolve 2.82 g hydrazine rapidly in 100 ml 0.1 N ice-cold HCl using an ice bath to keep the reaction vessel at 0 C. 100 ml ice-cold 0.1 N NaNO2 is added and after 2 to 3 minutes vigorous stirring, 130 ml more HCl is added dropwise with vigorous stirring again in an ice bath. After 5 minutes, neutralise the solution with NaHCO3 saturated sol. and extract with ether. Remove the aqueous solution and try to dissolve the gummy substance in ether. Adjust the ether solution by adding 3 g diethylamine per 300 ml ether extract. Allow to stand in the dark, gradually warming up to 20 C over a period of 24 hours. Evaporate in vacuum and treat as indicated in the purification section for conversion of iso-lysergic amides to lysergic acid amides. Preparation #2 Step I. Use Yellow light

5.36 g of d-lysergic acid are suspended in 125 ml of acetonitrile and the suspension cooled to about -20 C in a bath of acetone cooled with dry ice. To the suspension is added a cold (-20 C) solution of 8.82 g of trifluoroacetic anhydride in 75 ml of acetonitrile. The mixture is allowed to stand at -20 C for about 1.5 hours during which the suspended material dissolves, and the d-lysergic acid is converted to the mixed anhydride of lysergic and trifluoroacetic acids. The mixed anhydride can be separated in the form of an oil by evaporating the solvent in vacuo at a temperature below 0 C, but this is not necessary. Everything must be kept anhydrous. Step II. Use Yellow light The solution of mixed anhydrides in acetonitrile from Step I is added to 150 ml of a second solution of acetonitrile containing 7.6 g of diethylamine. The mixture is held in the dark at room temperature for about 2 hours. The acetonitrile is evaporated in vacuo, leaving a residue of LSD-25 plus other impurities. The residue is dissolved in 150 ml of chloroform and 20 ml of ice water. The chloroform layer is removed and the aqueous layer is extracted with several portions of chloroform. The chloroform portions are combined and in turn washed with four 50 ml portions of ice-cold water. The chloroform solution is then dried over anhydrous Na2SO4 and evaporated in vacuo. Preparation #3 This procedure gives good yield and is very fast with little iso-lysergic acid being formed (its effect are mildly unpleasant). However, the stoichometry must be exact or yields will drop. Step I. Use White light Sulfur trioxide is produced in anhydrous state by carefully decomposing anhydrous ferric sulfate at approximately 480 C. Store under anhydrous conditions. Step II. Use White light A carefully dried 22 litre RB flask fitted with an ice bath, condenser, dropping funnel and mechanical stirrer is charged with 10 to 11 litres of dimethylformamide (freshly distilled under reduced pressure). The condenser and dropping funnel are both protected against atmospheric moisture. 2 lb of sulfur trioxide (Sulfan B) are introduced dropwise, very cautiously stirring, during 4 to 5 hours. The temperature is kept at 0-5 C throughout the addition. After the addition is complete, the mixture is stirred for 1-2 hours until some separated, crystalline sulfur trioxidedimethylformamide complex has dissolved. The reagent is transferred to an air- tight automatic pipette for convenient dispensing, and kept in the cold. Although the reagent, which is colourless, may change from yellow to red, its efficiency remains unimpaired for three to four months in cold storage. An aliquot is dissolved in water and titrated with standard NaOH to a phenolphthalein end point. Step III. Use Red light A solution of 7.15 g of d-lysergic acid mono hydrate (25 mmol) and 1.06 g of lithium hydroxide hydrate (25 mmol) in 200 ml of MeOH is prepared. The solvent is distilled on the steam bath under reduced pressure. the residue of glass-like lithium lysergate is dissolved in 400 ml of anhydrous dimethyl formamide. From this solution about 200 ml of the dimethyl formamide is distilled off at 15 ml pressure through a 12 inch helices packed column. the resulting anhydrous solution of lithium lysergate left

behind is cooled to 0 C and, with stirring, treated rapidly with 500 ml of SO3-DMF solution (1.00 molar). The mixture is stirred in the cold for 10 minutes and then 9.14 g (125.0 mmol) of diethylamine is added. The stirring and cooling are continued for 10 minutes longer, when 400 ml of water is added to decompose the reaction complex. After mixing thoroughly, 200 ml of saturated aqueous saline solution is added. The amide product is isolated by repeated extraction with 500 ml portions of ethylene dichloride. the combined extract is dried and then concentrated to a syrup under reduced pressure. Do not heat up the syrup during concentration. the LSD may crystallise out, but the crystals and the mother liquor may be chromatographed according to the instructions on purification. Purification of LSD-25 The material obtained by any of these three preparations may contain both lysergic acid and iso-lysergic acid amides. Preparation #1 contains mostly iso-lysergic diethylamide and must be converted prior to separation. For this material, go to Step II first. Step I. Use darkroom and follow with a long wave UV The material is dissolved in a 3:1 mixture of benzene and chloroform. Pack the chromatography column with a slurry of basic alumina in benzene so that a 1 inch column is six inches long. Drain the solvent to the top of the alumina column and carefully add an aliquot of the LSD-solvent solution containing 50 ml of solvent and 1 g LSD. Run this through the column, following the fastest moving fluorescent band. After it has been collected, strip the remaining material from the column by washing with MeOH. Use the UV light sparingly to prevent excessive damage to the compounds. Evaporate the second fraction in vacuo and set aside for Step II. The fraction containing the pure LSD is concentrated in vacuo and the syrup will crystallise slowly. This material may be converted to the tartrate by tartaric acid and the LSD tartrate conveniently crystallised. MP 190-196 C. Step II. Use Red light Dissolve the residue derived from the methanol stripping of the column in a minimum amount of alcohol. Add twice that volume of 4 N alcoholic KOH solution and allow the mixture to stand at room temperature for several hours. Neutralise with dilute HCl, make slightly basic with NH4OH and extract with chloroform or ethylene dichloride as in preparations #1 or #2. Evaporate in vacuo and chromatograph as in the previous step. Note: Lysergic acid compounds are unstable to heat, light and oxygen. In any form it helps to add ascorbic acid as an anti- oxidant, keeping the container tightly closed, light-tight with aluminum foil, and in a refrigerator.

"Nazi Labs"

It almost doesn't matter what position you hold in law enforcement. Patrolman, detective, task force officer, correctional officer, narcotics agent, federal, state, county or local. If you have not encountered a clandestine methamphetamine lab yet, you soon will. The occurrence of meth labs in our communities is growing an outrageous rate. These labs seem to be spreading from the southwest in a fan pattern to the north, west and east. The old P2P or phenyl-2-propanone type labs seem to be a thing of the past. The "new" labs spreading throughout our communities are usually one of two kinds. Commonly referred to as "Red Phosphorus", ("Red P" or "Cold Cook" labs) and "Nazi", ("Ammonia" or "Birch" labs). Both of these labs are quick, relatively easy and result in extremely pure methamphetamine product.

"Red Phosphorus" or "Red P" labs require approximately 3½ hours from start to finish. The final product is 80% 90% pure. "Nazi"(“Ammonia" or "Birch" labs) require approximately 45 minutes from start to finish and the final product is approximately 95% pure. The chemicals and glassware needed in both of these methods is easily obtainable and relatively inexpensive. “Red P” labs seem to dominate Oklahoma but are rapidly being replaced by "Nazi" labs. Both labs are Exceptionally dangerous! Both types of labs utilize extremely volatile, explosive, farmable and toxic chemicals. "Nazi" labs are conducted in just about any place you can imagine because they are very compact and mobile. Hotel rooms, apartments, residences, mobile homes, trailers, storage sheds, barns, and even roadside in pickup trucks and other vehicles.


To begin the process, "cooks" as they are called, put ephedrine or pseudoephedrine tablets (obtained from Mini Thins, Max Brand or other over the counter decongestants sold in convenience stores, department stores, pharmacies and truck stops) in a grinder or blender and grind them into powder. This is not necessary but does speed up the process. This powder is then dissolved in a solvent (such as denatured alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, acetone, ether, and methanol, mineral spirits, etc.) By putting the solvent and the powder in a Mason or Ball jar. These solvents are easily and readily

purchased in department stores, paint stores and home improvement stores. The ephedrine or pseudoephedrine will dissolve in the solvent making a milky or opaque liquid. The binders and other undesirable compounds will settle to the bottom of the jar. This ephedrine or pseudoephedrine solution is separated from the binders by using a turkey baster, a sepratory funnel or, most commonly, by pouring the solution through a coffee filter that has been tucked in the opening of another jar. The ephedrine or pseudoephedrine solution will pass through and the binders will be collected as a white sludge in the coffee filter. This sludge has no further use and is normally discarded. The milky or opaque liquid is then poured into a Pyrex dish (glass lasagna pan, casserole dish or pie pan). This glass dish is then placed on a heat source (electric skillet, electric stove top, electric oven, heating pad, etc.) This is done to evaporate the solvent leaving the white powder of ephedrine or pseudoephedrine. This powder is the precursor or chemical that will be changed into methamphetamine. This phase is called an Extraction. This is an extremely dangerous stage of the manufacturing process. As the solvent is being evaporated, flammable vapors are released into the atmosphere. Any ignition source such as an open flame, cigarette or electric spark could potentially ignite this flammable atmosphere to the point of flash fire or explosion. Many of the solvents are also extremely carcinogenic. If an officer collecting evidence were to have skin exposure to these solvents there is a substantial potential for future development of cancer. 50grams Reaction

In the next phase, the "cook" will place small pieces of sodium or lithium metal into the dish containing the ephedrine or pseudoephedrine powder. Lithium is the most commonly used catalyst because it is easily obtained from lithium camera batteries. These batteries are literally torn apart, using pliers, to remove the lithium metal strip from inside of the battery. Lithium is an extremely reactive metal that will react violently with water creating heat and explosive hydrogen gas. Lithium will even ignite from the moisture in the air. This type of ignition could potentially detonate the flammable atmosphere created by the earlier evaporated solvents. "Actually take 1 quart jar of anhydrous ammonia place 50 grams of ephedrine then slowly ad pieces of lithium strips should be 5 strips of lithium but place in slowly one part of a strip at a time.

The next ingredient is anhydrous ammonia. Anhydrous ammonia is a liquid fertilizer, kept under pressure in tanks and cylinders. Anhydrous ammonia is the only chemical used in the "Nazi" method that can not be purchased at a local store. It is most often stolen from agriculture supply companies and from the storage trailers in the fields. It is most often put into five gallon propane tanks (from home barbeque grills) but is sometimes poured into thermos jugs and coolers. Anhydrous ammonia is extremely cold and contact with the skin could result in immediate frostbite. If anhydrous ammonia makes contact with the eyes it will instantly remove the water from the tissues basically shriveling the eyes like raisins right in the eye sockets and causing permanent blindness. If inhaled, anhydrous has the same reaction in the mucus linings of the lungs, nasal passages and throat causing severe lung problems and even death.

After placing the pieces of lithium into the powder, anhydrous ammonia is slowly dripped and stirred into the mixture. The chemical reaction that occurs causes the solution to turn dark blue to blackish purple in color. Once all of the Powder and lithium is dissolved into the solution of anhydrous ammonia the reaction must be stopped or quenched. This is done by slowly adding water. This is very dangerous because any residual lithium could react violently with the water and cause fire or explosion. Once the reaction is quenched the ammonia is allowed to evaporate off (which occurs fairly rapidly at room temperature). This will leave a thick, white paste in the dish which will consist of Methamphetamine base (meth oil), water and impurities.

The "cook" will then pour ether into the dish and stir it into the paste. This mixture is then poured into a mason jar.

Ether is most commonly obtained by turning cans of starting fluid upside down and spraying out the pressure. Once the can has depressurized, holes are punched in the bottom of the can and the ether is poured out into mason jars. Ether is an extremely flammable and explosive chemical. Ether evaporates readily at room temperature and ether vapors could easily concentrate to flammable levels. Ether stored in jars tends to develop crystals between the glass and the jar lid. This crystals have the potential to detonate upon turning the lid to open the jar. This detonation would in turn ignite and detonate the ether contained in the jar. One quart of ether has the explosive potential of one stick of dynamite.

The ether will dissolve the meth oil into solution. The mason jar will contain a double layered liquid. The top layer would be ether with methamphetamine base dissolved into it. The bottom layer would contain water and impurities. These layers are then separated by carefully pouring the top layer into another jar or by using a turkey baster or sepratory funnel to separate the layers. The bottom layer is typically discarded. "E insert’ actually dont do Powdering Out

In the final stage, Hydrogen Chloride gas is bubbled into the ether/meth oil solution. The Hydrogen Chloride gas can be purchased at chemical supply stores but is most often made in apparatus called HCl gas generators. These generators are usually made by pouring salt into the bottom of a gas can or garden sprayer. Sulphuric acid (purchased in stores as drain cleaner) is then poured on top of the salt. Muriatic acid (pool cleaner) and bits of aluminum foil can also be used. The gas can is then modified by attaching a long hose. This hose or the hose from the garden sprayer is then placed into the ether solution in the jar. Hydrogen Chloride gas is given off and bubbles through the hose, into the solution. This is particularly dangerous because the acids used can cause severe chemical burns when in contact with skin or eyes. Acid vapors, if breathed, will destroy the linings of the lungs, nasal passages and throat causing permanent damage and/or death. These acid vapors can also reach the blood, through the lungs, and cause severe liver damage.

As the Hydrogen Chloride gas is bubbled into the ether/meth oil solution , meth powder (D-Methamphetamine HCl) will fall or precipitate out of the solution. Eventually the solution will become a thick white paste with a cottage cheese appearance. When this happens, the paste and remaining ether is poured through a coffee filter. The paste is colleted and in the filter and allowed to dry. This is the final product of methamphetamine.

Methamphetamine has become the drug of choice in Oklahoma. It is easily and cheaply manufactured. Many users are

conducting small "cooks" (small meth labs) to manufacture their own methamphetamine for personal use and then some for sale to their friends and other users. This has resulted in many small meth labs scattered throughout our communities. As stated before, if you haven't encountered a meth lab yet, you will soon! Be careful, they are extremely dangerous. Meth labs are a Haz Mat situation. Proper equipment and procedures must be utilized when processing meth labs. If you run across a meth lab get out and get help. If you have not been trained and do not have the required equipment don't take chances. Contact your OSBI chemist, the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics or DEA. You may even have other officers in your area that have been properly trained.

another recipe

1) 750 pills containing 60mg psuedoephedrine (preferably Sudafed 24 hr, each pill has 240 mg in it, so you would only have to use about 190 pills instead..get it?) warning: do not try to buy more than 3 boxes of these anywhere, shop around, and don’t buy any pills with acetaminophen in it (it’s for headaches) it will destroy your batch!!!! 2)5 lithium batteries (these are photo batteries, E2 blue package) 3) 2 cans of Coleman’s or generic brand lantern fuel. 4) one bottle of heavy duty drain cleaner (go to a hardware store, find the bottle with the skull and cross bones on it) 5) one container of UN-iodized salt 6) this is the tricky part; have to have some kind of to an Anhydrous Ammonia tank, think co-ops or farm fields (your going to have to do this undercover) SUPPLIES 1) 5 or 6 regular size mason jars 2) 1 20oz pop bottle, completely dry with lid 3) this tubing, thin enough to fit into an airtight hole on the pop bottle lid. 4) coffee filters 5) 3 coolers, 1 big, 1 medium, 1 small 6) safe place you wont get weirded out at 7) hose from a car wash vacuum you don’t want the nozzle, just about 8 feet of the hose 9) about $10 worth of dry ice PREPERATION - CRUSH UP ALL YOUR PILLS (coffee grinder, blender) AND PUT THEM IN A PLASTIC BAGGIE OR WHATEVER. -STRIP THE BATTERIES: Take needle nose pliers and peel all the skin of the batteries and in the very center there will be a silver strip, this is the lithium; you will know it because it will start to get warm once it touches air, immediately throw these into your small cooler that has a good amount of Coleman’s lantern fluid sitting in it,

this fluid will chill these lithium strips out and keep you safe (REMEMBER THIS SMELLS, NOT TERRIBLE, BUT KEEP IT IN MIND) -GET READY: this is the scary part, you are going to have to go out and steal a small amount of anhydrous ammonia from some unknowing farmer or a Co-op. All you need to take with you is your baggie with crushed pills, your cooler with the Lithium strips, and the hose this is how you will do this step....... INSTRUCTIONS -have a trusted friend drive you to a safe spot to get dropped off near the tank, on some dirt road where you can get out and not be detected. Have him stop, you jump out, be careful for what you are carrying and run to a place you can hide for a few seconds. -asses the situation, get a to a point where you can scope out the tank from a safe, yet clear distance Get a feeling for the area and make sure it is clear. Now swallow your balls and creep up to the tank. -slide one end of the hose over the nozzle of the tank, and put the other end into the cooler with the lithium strips, turn the pressure of the tank on and of quickly, be careful not to let to much come out at a time, just turn it on for about 5 seconds, turn it off look around, repeat about 6-7 times. (now for all you curious Georges, the reason you do this is because this is the only thing (besides FREEON R-12, which you could use as well) that is cold enough to melt the lithium. (Note, be CAREFUL this shit can fuck up your skin and it is hard to be around this because it’s hard to breathe, but this is one of the risks you must take if you choose to do this) -once you have completed this, add your pill powder to the mix, this is called the MUD. stir this up quickly get it mixed together well. and have your buddy pick you up, time it so your total drop off time should be no more than 10-15 minutes. -go back to your safe spot, add a little more lantern fluid to the mix, and don’t be surprised if your little cooler is Hissing and making funny noises, this is normal...the chemicals reacting with eachother. Let this sit for a little bit (20 min.) THE LIQUID IN THIS IS CALLED THE "RINSE" FOR FURTHER REFERENCE TO IT. put your dry ice in the big cooler and and place this small one into it (this takes care of the smell, not crucial, but helps.) -prepare your acid pump. take your 20oz bottle, make sure it is COMPLETELY dry and drill a hole in the lid to fit your tubing through, put tubing in so there is more coming out of the top, and put hot glue or something around the hole so that it is airtight. pour a generous amount of the salt into the bottle and add the smallest bit of the drain cleaner. put the lid on and shake this up, it should be reacting, forming a cloud inside the bottle let this sit for a minute while you prepare the first mason jar. -take on of the mason jars, make sure that this is also COMPLETELY dry, and put a paper plate folded up like a funnel, with the smallest possible hole onto the mason jars and pours some of your "rinse" in to the funnel and let it go into the jar, this should take about 4 minutes because your funnel is very tight, the liquid that remains in the jar will be clear.

- now you have your little makeshift pop bottle/acid pump, put the little hose coming out of it into the mason jar, not into the actual liquid, the gas should be slowly coming out of the tube, if its not give your bottle a couple of light squeezes. The gas will stay in the mason jar and go into the liquid by itself, making it cloudy. -now you will see the something dropping from the liquid to the bottom of your jar, and a film sticking to the side of it, this is your DOPE!!! -have another clean mason jar ready with a coffee filter on top of it securely, pour the contents of your first jar into this one, what stays on the filter is the crank, either scrape it off or leave it on and let it dry under a light or whatever and there you have it. exciting, huh??? -Repeat this until you have nothing left, and if every thing went right you will have yielded 25-30 grams of meth.

How To Make LSD in Your Kitchen

12345678910 11 -

Grind up 150 grams of morning glory seeds or Hawaiian wood rose seeds. In 130 cc. of petroleum ether, soak the seeds for two days. Filter the solution through a tight screen. Throw away the liquid, and allow the seed mush to dry. For two days allow the mush to soak in 110 cc. of wood alcohol. Filter the solution again, saving the liquid and labeling it "1". Resoak the mush in 110 cc. of wood alcohol for two days. Filter and throw away the mush. Add the liquid from the second soak to the solution labeled "1". Pour the liquid into a cookie tray and allow it to evaporate. When all the liquid has evaporated, a yellow gum remains. This should be scraped up and put into capsules. 30 grams of morning glory seeds = one trip 15 Hawaiian wood rose seeds = one trip

Many companies, such as Northop-King, have been coating their seeds with a toxic chemical, which is poison. Order from a wholesale company or a company that sells legal highs.

Hydroponic Gardening Materials 1 Footlocker or trunk, bigger is better. 1 Rubbermaid dishpan that just fits on the bottom of the trunk, when the trunk is turned on its side (this will make more sense in a few minutes, I used a 12 quart one) 3-4 blocks of FLORAL FOAM (Preferably agricultural grade, as it does not have preservatives in it, but Oasis will do if it is completely rinsed/soaked first) 1 Muffin Fan (look in computer surplus stores) 1 50 WATT High Pressure Sodium lamp (Or your lamp of choice) 1 roll of tin foil Comments on Cost If you bought all this stuff, it would run about 100 bucks... However, I got my trunk at a yard sale for $5, had the fan lying around, and through some creative scrounging on a public bike trail late at night, came up with the HPS lamp and ballast for free. The dishpan came from a 'Everything's a dollar' store, and foam is cheap... I think I spent $30 total (including fertilizer, which I will discuss later) What to do with this stuff First, cut the handle off of one end of the trunk, then stand the thing up on that end. Sitting it on a phone book with the door hanging off the end makes it much easier to open and close. Then install the fan... I put mine on the top of the box, but It could go in the top back corner if light leakage is important. A good deal of light will be exiting the fanhole (well, more than anywhere else)... keep this in mind. I also painted the fanblades white in an attempt to reflect the light back into the box, but Im not sure if it worked... it probably isnt necessary. Put some intake holes along the bottom of the box, these will be covered with foil later, so not too much light will be leaking out. Cover the entire inside of the box with foil, excluding the fan area, and where you plan on installing the lamp. I used duct tape to affix it to the walls/door, and I LEFT IT UNATTATCHED AT THE BOTTOM so air could come through the intake holes. Install the lamp! I put mine at the very top center of the door, with the bulb sticking straight out, so it enters the rest of the box when the door is closed. This made it easier to wire, but In the future, I would put it on the back wall of the box, as less of your room will be illuminated when you open the thing (it's kind of like opening up the sun). Thoughts on Lamps According to Ed Rosenthol (believe him if you want to, ignore him if you

dont) HPS lamps are some of the best growing lamps made, especially when efficiency is an issue. These lamps give off an amberish glow, and are often used to light parking lots, bike trails, etc. They operate on a very high voltage, and require a transformer or ballast to work. Metal Halide lamps (used in photographic and theatrical lamps) are smaller, and much whiter, and usually do not require ballast, but they use up a hell of a lot more energy. I used a Flurescent to sprout the plants, and switched to HPS after they had developed 3 sets of leaves (about 48 hours after germination) This was acceptable. Next, it is time to deal with the foam and plant. I soak the foam overnight in a nutrient-water mixture (more on that later) after rinsing it extremely well. Then I cut a brick or 2 into 1" cubes, and plant one seed in each cube. Planting in foam means you place the sead on the foam, and push it in with a small wire or something similar, so the seed is surrounded as much as possible by the wet foam. The cubes are placed in the dishpan, and 1/2" of water-nutrient mixture is added to the pan. The foam will suck up water and nutrients as necessary, so it is important to try to keep the water level at about 1/2". It is better for the water to be slightly too low (but not dry) than too high. The seeds can take as long as a week or 10 days to germinate, do not worry if nothing happens at first, and it seems that I never get more than about 15% of my planted seeds to sprout. This suggests a fault somewhere in my system, but I havent identified it yet, no do I especially care. I just plant a LOT of seeds, and then use the best seedlings for my gardening. Usually a smoking-buddy or someone will take a free marijuana seedling off your hands with a minimum of hassle. About 3 days after germination, a few pairs of leaves should've formed. Now is the time to transplant. And transplanting is the glory of foam. All you need to do to transplant things growing in foam, is put the small block of foam (with the plant in it) on top of the larger block , and rub them together a few times. The roots will grow out of the small cube, and into the bigger one in a matter of days. I managed to find foam in 12" cubes... cutting these in half gave me 2 pieces of 12"x12"x6" foam, and each of those can easily hold one plant, probably 2. I personally grow only one plant in each trunk, but 2 smaller ones are probably perfectly acceptable. Lighting When I transplant is when I turn on the HPS lamp. It then stays on for 24 hours/7days until the plant is 8-15 inches tall. Then it is time to

force flowering. This can be done by giving the plants a 10-16 hour dark period in each 24 hour day (this should be done using a cheap timer like people use when they go away on vacation in an attempt to foil burglers) In a matter of 3 weeks, sex should be apparent on the plants... REMOVE THE MALES. Keep the dark period constant until it is time to pick, dry and enjoy. A word on water-nutrient mixtures Floram foam should be totally inert, meaning it does not provide the plant with ANYTHING except something for the roots to grow in. Thus all nutrients that the plant would get from the soil MUST be in the water. Read a few books on hydroponics to figure out what mixture suits you best, I personally use a liquid plant food that shows on its label an N-P-N count of 10-15-10. This seems to work fairly well for me. I know people who use 20-20-20, and quite a few who use different foods during different stages of growth. Read up on the subject and decide for yourself. Anyway, this was not ment to be a 'HOW TO GROW WEED' type of post, but apparently it has become one (sort of). It was ment to talk about my grow room, as it was described earlier in this post. I have found that a single plant can grow to maturity without any trouble in this space, and 2 smaller plants (forced to flower at about 8 inches, instead of the 10-12 that I personally use) would probably be ok too. This grow room is very portable (unplug it and take it with you) clandestine (it looks like a trunk to me (not an uncommon thing in a college dormatory if you are a student), and it can be locked with a padlock) and effective (trust me!) I assume one could grow using standard soil and such in this thing, but I have had great success with foam, and it is much easier to keep it watered. Rockwool has been sugested to me as a medium, but I dont even know where to buy it... apparently it is much like foam in that it is inert, and transplanting is a breeze. Happy Growing


PiKHAL [ Phenethylamines i Have Known and Loved ] by Alexander Shulgin


SYNTHESIS: (from MDA) A solution of 6.55 g of 3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA) as the free base and 2.8 mL formic acid in 150 mL benzene was held at reflux under a Dean Stark trap until no further H2O was generated (about 20 h was sufficient, and 1.4 mL H2O was collected). Removal of the solvent gave an 8.8 g of an amber oil which was dissolved in 100 mL CH2Cl2, washed first with dilute HCl, then with dilute NaOH, and finally once again with dilute acid. The solvent was removed under vacuum giving 7.7 g of an amber oil that, on standing, formed crystals of N-formyl-3,4methylenedioxyamphetamine. An alternate process for the synthesis of this amide involved holding at reflux for 16 h a solution of 10 g of MDA as the free base in 20 mL fresh ethyl formate. Removal of the volatiles yielded an oil that set up to white crystals, weighing 7.8 g. A solution of 7.7 g N-formyl-3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine in 25 mL anhydrous THF was added dropwise to a well stirred and refluxing solution of 7.4 g LAH in 600 mL anhydrous THF under an inert atmosphere. The reaction mixture was held at reflux for 4 days. After being brought to room temperature, the excess hydride was destroyed with 7.4 mL H2O in an equal volume of THF, followed by 7.4 mL of 15% NaOH and then another 22 mL H2O. The solids were removed by filtration, and the filter cake washed with additional THF. The combined filtrate and washes were stripped of solvent under vacuum, and the residue dissolved in 200 mL CH2Cl2. This solution was extracted with 3x100 mL dilute HCl, and these extracts pooled and made basic with 25% NaOH. Extraction with 3x75 mL CH2Cl2 removed the product, and the pooled extracts were stripped of solvent under vacuum. There was obtained 6.5 g of a nearly white residue which was distilled at 100-110 ° C at 0.4 mm/Hg to give 5.0 g of a colorless oil. This was dissolved in 25 mL IPA, neutralized with concentrated HCl, followed by the addition of sufficient anhydrous Et2O to produce a lasting turbidity. On continued stirring, there was the deposition of fine white crystals of 3,4-methylenedioxy-N-methylamphetamine hydrochloride (MDMA) which were removed by filtration, washed with Et2O, and air dried, giving a final weight of 4.8 g. (from 3,4-methylenedioxyphenylacetone) This key intermediate to all of the MDseries can be made from either isosafrole, or from piperonal via 1-(3,4methylenedioxyphenyl)-2-nitropropene. To a well stirred solution of 34 g of 30% hydrogen peroxide in 150 g 80% formic acid there was added, dropwise, a solution of 32.4 g isosafrole in 120 mL acetone at a rate that kept the reaction mixture from exceeding 40 ° C. This required a bit over 1 h, and external cooling was used as necessary. Stirring was continued for 16 h, and care was taken that the slow exothermic reaction did not cause excess heating. An external bath with running water worked well. During this time the solution progressed from an orange color to a deep red. All volatile components were removed under vacuum which yielded some 60 g of a very deep red residue. This was dissolved in 60 mL of MeOH, treated with 360 mL of 15% H2SO4, and heated for 3 h on the steam bath. After cooling, the reaction mixture was extracted with 3x75 mL Et2O, the pooled extracts washed first with H2O and then with dilute NaOH, and the solvent removed under vacuum The residue was distilled (at 2.0 mm/108-112 ° C, or at about 160 ° C at the water pump) to provide 20.6 g of 3,4-methylenedioxyphenylacetone as a pale yellow oil. The oxime (from hydroxylamine) had a mp of 85-88 ° C. The semicarbazone had a mp of 162-163 ° C. An alternate synthesis of 3,4-methylenedioxyphenylacetone starts originally from piperonal. A suspension of 32 g electrolytic iron in 140 mL glacial acetic acid was

gradually warmed on the steam bath. When quite hot but not yet with any white salts apparent, there was added, a bit at a time, a solution of 10.0 g of 1-(3,4methylenedioxyphenyl)-2-nitropropene in 75 mL acetic acid (see the synthesis of MDA for the preparation of this nitrostyrene intermediate from piperonal and nitroethane). This addition was conducted at a rate that permitted a vigorous reaction free from excessive frothing. The orange color of the reaction mixture became very reddish with the formation of white salts and a dark crust. After the addition was complete, the heating was continued for an additional 1.5 h during which time the body of the reaction mixture became quite white with the product appeared as a black oil climbing the sides of the beaker. This mixture was added to 2 L H2O, extracted with 3x100 mL CH2Cl2, and the pooled extracts washed with several portions of dilute NaOH. After the removal of the solvent under vacuum, the residue was distilled at reduced pressure (see above) to provide 8.0 g of 3,4methylenedioxyphenylacetone as a pale yellow oil. To 40 g of thin aluminum foil cut in 1 inch squares (in a 2 L wide mouth Erlenmeyer flask) there was added 1400 mL H2O containing 1 g mercuric chloride. Amalgamation was allowed to proceed until there was the evolution of fine bubbles, the formation of a light grey precipitate, and the appearance of occasional silvery spots on the surface of the aluminum. This takes between 15 and 30 min depending on the freshness of the surfaces, the temperature of the H2O, and the thickness of the aluminum foil. (Aluminum foil thickness varies from country to country.) The H2O was removed by decantation, and the aluminum was washed with 2x1400 mL of fresh H2O. The residual H2O from the final washing was removed as thoroughly as possible by shaking, and there was added, in succession and with swirling, 60 g methylamine hydrochloride dissolved in 60 mL warm H2O, 180 mL IPA, 145 mL 25% NaOH, 53 g 3,4-methylenedioxyphenylacetone, and finally 350 mL IPA. If the available form of methylamine is the aqueous solution of the free base, the following sequence can be substituted: add, in succession, 76 mL 40% aqueous methylamine, 180 mL IPA, a suspension of 50 g NaCl in 140 mL H2O that contains 25 mL 25% NaOH, 53 g 3,4-methylenedioxyphenylacetone, and finally 350 mL IPA. The exothermic reaction was kept below 60 ° C with occasional immersion into cold water and, when it was thermally stable, it was allowed to stand until it had returned to room temperature with all the insolubles settled to the bottom as a grey sludge. The clear yellow overhead was decanted and the sludge removed by filtration and washed with MeOH. The combined decantation, mother liquors and washes, were stripped of solvent under vacuum, the residue suspended in 2400 ml of H2O, and sufficient HCl added to make the phase distinctly acidic. This was then washed with 3x75 mL CH2Cl2, made basic with 25% NaOH, and extracted with 3x100 mL of CH2Cl2. After removal of the solvent from the combined extracts, there remained 55 g of an amber oil which was distilled at 100-110 ° C at 0.4 mm/Hg producing 41 g of an off-white liquid. This was dissolved in 200 mL IPA, neutralized with about 17 mL of concentrated HCl, and then treated with 400 mL anhydrous Et2O. After filtering off the white crystals, washing with an IPA/Et2O mixture, (2:1), with Et2O, and final air drying, there was obtained 42.0 g of 3,4-methylenedioxy-N-methylamphetamine (MDMA) as a fine white crystal. The actual form that the final salt takes depends upon the temperature and concentration at the moment of the initial crystallization. It can be anhydrous, or it can be any of several hydrated forms. Only the anhydrous form has a sharp mp; the published reports describe all possible one degree melting point values over the range from 148-153 ° C. The variously hydrated polymorphs have distinct infrared spectra, but have broad mps that depend on the rate of heating.

DOSAGE: 80 - 150 mg. DURATION: 4 - 6 h. QUALITATIVE COMMENTS: (with 100 mg) MDMA intrigued me because everyone I asked, who had used it, answered the question, 'What's it like?' in the same way: 'I don't know.' 'What happened?' 'Nothing.' And now I understand those answers. I too think nothing happened. But something seemed changed. Before the 'window' opened completely, I had some somatic effects, a tingling sensation in the fingers and temples--a pleasant sensation, not distracting. However, just after that there was a slight nausea and dizziness similar to a little too much alcohol. All these details disappeared as I walked outside. My mood was light, happy, but with an underlying conviction that something significant was about to happen. There was a change in perspective both in the near visual field and in the distance. My usually poor vision was sharpened. I saw details in the distance that I could not normally see. After the peak experience had passed, my major state was one of deep relaxation. I felt that I could talk about deep or personal subjects with special clarity, and I experienced some of the feeling one has after the second martini, that one is discoursing brilliantly and with particularly acute analytical powers. (with 100 mg) Beforehand, I was aware of a dull, uncaring tiredness that might have reflected too little sleep, and I took a modest level of MDMA to see if it might serve me as a stimulant. I napped for a half hour or so, and woke up definitely not improved. The feeling of insufficient energy and lack of spark that I'd felt before had become something quite strong, and might be characterized as a firm feeling of negativity about everything that had to be done and everything I had been looking forward to. So I set about my several tasks with no pleasure or enjoyment and I hummed a little tune to myself during these activities which had words that went: 'I shouldn't have done that, oh yes, I shouldn't have done that, oh no, I shouldn't have done that; it was a mistake.' Then I would start over again from the beginning. I was stuck in a gray space for quite a while, and there was nothing to do but keep doing what I had to do. After about 6 hours, I could see the whole mental state disintegrating and my pleasant feelings were coming back. But so was my plain, ornery tiredness. MDMA does not work like Dexedrine. (with 120 mg) I feel absolutely clean inside, and there is nothing but pure euphoria. I have never felt so great, or believed this to be possible. The cleanliness, clarity, and marvelous feeling of solid inner strength continued throughout the rest of the day, and evening, and through the next day. I am overcome by the profundity of the experience, and how much more powerful it was than previous experiences, for no apparent reason, other than a continually improving state of being. All the next day I felt like 'a citizen of the universe' rather than a citizen of the planet, completely disconnecting time and flowing easily from one activity to the next. (with 120 mg) As the material came on I felt that I was being enveloped, and my attention had to be directed to it. I became quite fearful, and my face felt cold and ashen. I felt that I wanted to go back, but I knew there was no turning back. Then the fear started to leave me, and I could try taking little baby steps, like taking first steps after being reborn. The woodpile is so beautiful, about all the joy and beauty that I can stand. I am afraid to turn around and face the mountains, for fear they will overpower me. But I did look, and I am astounded. Everyone must get to experience

a profound state like this. I feel totally peaceful. I have lived all my life to get here, and I feel I have come home. I am complete. (with 100 mg of the "R" isomer) There were the slightest of effects noted at about an hour (a couple of paresthetic twinges) and then nothing at all. (with 160 mg of the "R" isomer) A disturbance of baseline at about forty minutes and this lasts for about another hour. Everything is clear by the third hour. (with 200 mg of the "R" isomer) A progression from an alert at thirty minutes to a soft and light intoxication that did not persist. This was a modest +, and I was at baseline in another hour. (with 60 mg of the "S" isomer) The effects began developing in a smooth, friendly way at about a half-hour. My handwriting is OK but I am writing faster than usual. At the one hour point, I am quite certain that I could not drive, time is slowing down a bit, but I am mentally very active. My pupils are considerably dilated. The dropping is evident at two hours, and complete by the third hour. All afternoon I am peaceful and relaxed, but clear and alert, with no trace of physical residue at all. A very successful ++. (with 100 mg of the "S" isomer) I feel the onset is slower than with the racemate. Physically, I am excited, and my pulse and blood pressure are quite elevated. This does not have the 'fire' of the racemate, nor the rush of the development in getting to the plateau. (with 120 mg of the "S" isomer) A rapid development, and both writing and typing are impossible before the end of the first hour. Lying down with eyes closed eliminates all effects; the visual process is needed for any awareness of the drug's effects. Some teeth clenching, but no nystagmus. Excellent sleep in the evening. EXTENSIONS AND COMMENTARY: In clinical use, largely in psychotherapeutic sessions of which there were many in the early years of MDMA study, it became a common procedure to provide a supplemental dosage of the drug at about the one and a half hour point of the session. This supplement, characteristically 40 milligrams following an initial 120 milligrams, would extend the expected effects for about an additional hour, with only a modest exacerbation of the usual physical side-effects, namely, teeth clenching and eye twitching. A second supplement (as, for instance, a second 40 milligrams at the two and a half hour point) was rarely felt to be warranted. There are, more often than not, reports of tiredness and lethargy on the day following the use of MDMA, and this factor should be considered in the planning of clinical sessions. With MDMA, the usual assignments of activity to optical isomers is reversed from all of the known psychedelic drugs. The more potent isomer is the "S" isomer, which is the more potent form of amphetamine and methamphetamine. This was one of the first clear distinctions that was apparent between MDMA and the structurally related psychedelics (where the "R" isomers are the more active). Tolerance studies also support differences in mechanisms of action. In one study, MDMA was consumed at 9:00 AM each day for almost a week (120 milligrams the first day and 160 milligrams each subsequent day) and by the fifth day there were no effects from the drug except for some mydriasis. And even this appeared to be lost on the sixth day. At

this point of total tolerance, there was consumed (on day #7, at 9:00 AM) 120 milligrams of MDA and the response to it was substantially normal with proper chronology, teeth clench, and at most only a slight decrease in mental change. A complete holiday from any drug for another 6 days led to the reversal of this tolerance, in that 120 milligrams of MDMA had substantially the full expected effects. The fact that MDMA and MDA are not cross-tolerant strengthens the argument that they act in different ways, and at different sites in the brain. A wide popularization of the social use of MDMA occurred in 1984-1985 and, with the reported observation of serotonin nerve changes in animal models resulting from the administration of the structurally similar drug MDA, an administrative move was launched to place it under legal control. The placement of MDMA into the most restrictive category of the Federal Controlled Substances Act has effectively removed it from the area of clinical experimentation and human research. The medical potential of this material will probably have to be developed through studies overseas. A word of caution is in order concerning the intermediate 3,4-methylenedioxyphenylacetone, which has also been called piperonylacetone. A devilish ambiguity appeared in the commercial market for this compound, centered about its name. The controversy focused on the meaning of the prefix, piperonyl, which has two separate chemical definitions. Let me try to explain this fascinating chaos in nonchemical terms. Piperonyl is a term that has been used for a two-ring system (the methylenedioxyphenyl group) either without, or with, an extra carbon atom sticking off of the side of it. Thus, piperonylacetone can be piperonyl (the two-ring thing without the extra carbon atom attached) plus acetone (a three carbon chain thing); the total number of carbons sticking out, three. Or, piperonylacetone can be piperonyl (the two-ring thing but with the extra carbon atom attached) plus acetone (a three carbon chain thing); the total number of carbons sticking out, four. Does this make sense? The three carbon sticking out job gives rise to MDA and to MDMA and to many homologues that are interesting materials discussed at length in these Book II comments. This is the usual item of commerce, available from both domestic and foreign suppliers. But the four-carbon sticking out job will produce totally weird stuff without any apparent relationship to psychedelics, psychoactives or psychotropics whatsoever. I know of one chemical supply house which supplied the weird compound, and they never did acknowledge their unusual use of the term piperonyl. There is a simple difference of properties which might be of value. The three carbon (correct) ketone is an oil with a sassafras smell that is always yellow colored. The four carbon (incorrect) ketone has a weak terpene smell and is white and crystalline. There should be no difficulties in distinguishing these two compounds. But unprincipled charlatans can always add mineral oil and butter yellow to otherwise white solids to make them into yellow oils. Caveat emptor.

HOME MDMA Safety PiKHAL on HYPEREAL Alexander Shulgin Interview "The perception of things and people is not altered or even enhanced, usually, but negative reactions that permeate our everyday lives beyond our conscious knowledge are held in abeyance and replaced by unconditional acceptance. This is much like Nietzsche's amor fati, love of fate, love of one's particular circumstances. The immediate reality seems to be welcomed in such MMDA-induced states without pain or attachment; joy does not seem to depend on the given situation, but on existence itself, and in such a state of mind everything is equally loveable..." Caudio Naranjo The Healing Journey

Sign up to vote on this title
UsefulNot useful