This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
meal. Soups are tasty and nutritious. They can be served alone or accompanied by croutons, buttered toasts, dinner rolls or plain bread triangles and crackers. There are different types of soups: a) Clear soups made from thin stocks. b) Creamed soups-made from basic stocks and thickened with milk, flour or starch, with other ingredients added. c) Pureed soups-thickened by puree of ingredients, usually by first boiling them, then blending them and filtering the mixture to gain the thickened mixture. In preparing soups, follow these suggestions; 1. Use acceptable stock from meats or fish. Dehydrate stocks such as chicken seasoning cubes, maggi cubes and dadawa cubes can be used as alternatives. One maggi or chicken seasoning cube added to 250m1 of water equals 250rnl of beef or chicken stock. 2. All food items such as meats and vegetables added must be in bite sizes. 3. Excessive heat can cause cream soups to curdle, therefore use moderate heat. 4. Avoid excessive use of spices and seasoning. Sauces are forms of liquid or semi-liquid soup preparations that are served with another food item. They are used to assist in presenting the food item and to complete the use of that food. Unlike soups, sauces cannot be served alone. Sauces can be used a) As background for food items e.g. tomato sauce, b) As a binding agent to hold foods together (e.g mayonnaise) c) As a topping on another food (e.g. custard sauce for cake and puddings and ketchup for meats). Sauces need: a) Stock, as the basic ingredient; b) Seasonings to provide the major taste c) Colour agent which must come from the stock and d) The thickening agent which may be eggs, flour or starch egg yolks provide good colour as well. In preparation of sauces, the fat is first melted, the flour is stirred into it, then the stock is poured into it and the mixture is cooked (simmered) In some gravies and sauces ,the starch or flour is first mixed with cold water before putting the fat and other ingredients. It is important not to overcook the flour fat mixture, but allow enough time for even distribution. MINCED BEEF SOUP 300 grams minced beef 1 litre of water 2 medium of tomatoes (chopped) 2 stalks celery (sliced) 1 tsp pepper (ground) ½ tsp thyme 3 carrots (diced) ¼ of small head cabbage (cutup) 2 large potatoes (diced) 1 medium onion (sliced) salt to taste 1 seasoning cube
Method 1. Clean and prepare all the vegetables as indicated. 2. Put the minced beef in a sauce pan and cook for about 10 minutes. Add water and salt to taste. 3. Boil for 5 more minutes. 4. Add the remaining ingredients except tomatoes and cook for another 15 minutes. 5. Add the tomatoes and simmer slowly for 10 minutes more. 6. Serve hot with crackers or toasted bread as appetizers. Serves 10. Note: Flake fish (cooked) can be used in place of minced beef and other flavorings can be added.
2 FRENCH ONION SOUP (APPETIZER) 60g margarine ¼ tsp curry 40g onions, peeled and thinly sliced ½ tsp thyme (3-4 medium Onions) Salt and white pepper to taste 3 tbsp flour ½ tsp sugar (optional) 1 liter beef stock 2 slices of bread (for toasting) Method 1. Melt the margarine in a large saucepan over a moderate heat. 2. Stir in the onions and add the sugar. Cook uncovered, stirring constantly till the onions are light brown. 3. Sprinkle flour over the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes. 4. Pour on the stock and stir to blend the flour. 5. Add the remaining ingredients and cook over low heat. Simmer the sauce with pot covered for about 1015 minutes. 6. Cut the bread slices into cubes and toast in preheated oven or grill to make croutons. 7. Spoon the soup into soup bowls and top with the toasted bread serve hot. FRESH PRAWN SOUP (APPETIZER) 45g/3tbsp margarine 1 onion, finely chopped 1 sweet red pepper (seeded and chopped) 2 sticks celery-finely chopped 1 seasoning cube 2 garlic clove, grated Salt and pepper to taste 1.5 litre fish stock ½ tsp thyme ½ tsp crushed bay leaf 225g raw peeled prawns and boiled 3 tbsp flour 2 spring onions chopped
Method 1. Melt the margarine and add the onion, pepper, celery, green onion and garlic. Cook gently to soften. 2. Stir in the flour and cook over gentle heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. 3. Pour in the stock gradually, stirring well. 4. Add the thyme, bay leaf and any other remaining ingredient. Add the prawns and cook for about 2 minutes. 5. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and remove the bay leaf. 6. Top with chopped green onions before serving in soup bowls. Serve with buttered toasts. PRAWN/SHRIMPS COCKTAIL 1 cup (400g) cooked prawns / shrimps 3 stalks celery, diced 4-5 tbsp mayonnaise ¼ tsp salt lettuce leaves ½ chopped green pepper 2tbsp ketchup 1 tbsp lemon juice
METHOD 1. Put the cooked prawns on a board and cut in to pieces. Place the prawn chunks in a mixing bowl, add the mayonnaise, celery, green pepper, salt and lemon juice. Mix with a fork. 2. Toss together and serve salad on lettuce leaves placed in cocktail glasses or salad bowls. Drop ketchup over top to garnish the salad. Chill before serving as appetizer LIVER/KIDNEY SOUP 250g kidney 200g liver 1 bay leaf 2 tbsp margarine
3 2 large potatoes 1 litre of water 1 large onion 1 chicken seasoning cube 3 medium carrots salt and pepper to taste. Method 1. Prepare the first five ingredients by cleaning, washing and cutting them into cubes or dices. 2. Place them in a baking dish, then add salt, pepper and remaining ingredients. Cover the dish. 3. Place in the oven and bake for about 1 hour until the ingredients are tender. 4. Remove bay leaf and serve hot. Boiling method may be used. Makes 5-6 servings STEAK SOUP 400 grams steak, cooked and cut 1 small onion, finely chopped 2 tsp. parsley leaves, finely chopped ½ tsp. thyme 200g peas 1 Chicken seasoning cube ¼ tbsp margarine
½ teaps. nutmeg 1 litre boiling water 2 tbsp flour 2sliced celery stalks Pepper and salt taste 1 bay leaf
Method 1. Placed steak chunks in a large pot with onion, herbs and seasonings. 2. Pour water or stock over them and add cook for 15 minutes. 3. Melt margarine in a saucepan and add flour and a little liquid from meat to the fat and stir until smooth. 4. Add the flour-fat mixture to the soup, stirring constantly until slightly thickened. Stir in the peas. Simmer for 5minutes. 5. Serve into soup plates and garnish with tomato slices. Serves as appetizer for 4-6 guests. STEAK/CHICKEN SOUP 250g cooked beef/chicken (deboned) 4 potatoes 2 carrots ½ tsp curry 1 bay leaf 500m1 water/stock 1 litre margarine/oil salt and pepper to taste 1 medium onion 1 seasoning cube
Method 1. Cut the beef/chicken into 72-inch cubes or cutlets 2. Cut the onions, carrots and potatoes into ½ inch cubes. 3. Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and add the water. 4. Season the entire mixtures with the salt and pepper. 5. Cook mixture for about 30-40minutes till meat and vegetables are tender. 6. Remove the bay leaf and stir gently to thicken the sauce. Serve hot as appetizer. BROWN ONION SOUP I large onion (sliced) 1 ½ tbsp. flour 2 tbsp margarine 1 litre of beef stock 500g cooked beef cubes
1 tsp. fresh garlic (minced) pinch of curry salt and white pepper to taste 1 seasoning cube
Method 1. Melt half of the fat over low heat and fry onion slices until light brown. Remove onion and set aside. 2. Melt the remaining margarine and add the flour.
4. Stir frequently. Add the salt.in 1 inch cubes 4 carrots. Make . Gradually add beef stock. Remove from heat and serve into soup bowls accompanied with buttered toasts. CREAM OF TOMATO SOUP 1 table spoon dry milk 1 tbsp salt 1 can tomato juice ½ tsp pepper 1 ½ tbsp margarine 1 tsp soy sauce 1 ½ tbsp flour 500m1 beef stock ½ seasoning cube. 2. Melt the margarine or heat vegetable oil. Garnish with chopped parsley or cucumber dices. chopped onion 1 litre chicken stock salt and pepper to taste. CREAMY FISH SOUP 1 medium scale fish. Simmer for 5 minutes and serve hot with toasted bread triangles. Serve hot with buttered yeast rolls or bread slices. Serves 6-8. 4. 1 tbsp flour. CHICKEN SOUP 2 tbsp margarine 500g cooked chicken in strips or chunks.in 1 inch cubes 1 tbsp chopped parsley or celery 2 tbsp margarine or vegetable oil 4 potatoes. 4. Separate the deboned fish into chunks of about 1 inch sizes. cooked and deboned 750 fish stock 1 large onion. 5. Stir in onion and the flour. Method 1. 3. Put flour and margarine in a saucepan and mix together. Cook for 10 minutes and serve hot with toasted bread as appetizer. 2 tables.4 3. and stir in the thyme and curry. carrots and bay leaf. 3.6 servings. pepper soy sauce and seasoning cube. pepper.in 1 inch cubes 1 bay leaf.6 servings. salt. chopped 2 lives beef stock 2 fresh tomatoes. pinch thyme and curry Method 1. 2. fat and stock in a saucepan. Stir in the fried onion slices. 3. 2. Add the cooked chicken and stock gradually while stirring. Makes 5. Add the fish and the remaining ingredients. Add the potatoes. Stir in the cooked peas 4. Salt and pepper 1 50m1 milk (diluted) 100g cooked peas Method 1. Stir in the fish stock and cover pot to allow potatoes be cooked about 10 minutes. Stir together milk and flour. and allow soup to simmer for 10 minutes. garlic and any other seasoning. salt . Cook and stir the mixture until thick and well blended. tomato juice. Cook over medium heat. pepper . Add the beef cubes. chopped 1 bay leaf 1 tsp chopped garlic grated cheese 1 stalk celery (chopped) salt to taste . Stir gently and cook for another 3 minutes. MIXED VEGETABLE SOUP (APPETIZER) 1 large onion.
red wine. Chill before serving. 2. Melt the margarine and add the onion. stirring constantly until thickened. vinegar and salt 3. 3. Add the prawns and cook for about 2 minutes. Top with the chopped green onions or cucumber as garnishing before serving in soup bowls. YELLOW SAUCE 1 tbsp flour 4 tbsp melted margarine 1 tsp salt ½ tsp pepper 150m1 milk 2 eggs (beaten) 1 seasoning cube . Place cucumber slices in a flat dish and arrange the tomato segment in between the cucumber arrangement. green onion and garlic. stirring occasionally. Mix together the olive oil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes until thickened. bay leaf and any other remaining ingredients. Slice cucumber thinly. Cook gently to soften. 3. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. 4. celery. mixing well. Serve with braised beef. Sprinkle with the minced parsley and the olive oil mixture over the vegetables. Wash and cut the ripe firm tomatoes in to 4 segments in each. Stir in the flour and cook over gently heat for 2-3 minutes. Add milk and seasonings. Serve as sauce for shrimps and fish fingers or fish balls. bringing up to a boil and stirring constantly for 3 minutes until thickened. 5. WHITE SAUCE (MILK GRAVY) 1 tbsp margarine 250m1 diluted milk 1 ¼ tbsp flour salt and white pepper to taste ½ tsp lemon juice/vinegar Method 1. 2. PARSLEY TOMATOES APPETIZER 5 medium tomatoes 3 tbsp olive oil 1 cucumber 3tbsp red wine vinegar 1 tbsp minced parsley ¼ tsp salt Method 1. Simmer. 2. CURRY SAUCE 500mI chicken or beef stock 2 tsp dried onion flakes 2 tbsp curry powder 1 ½ tsp margarine 200g peas (optional) 2 tsp grated ginger 2 tsp flour/corn flour salt to taste 1 chicken seasoning cube Method 1. Add the thyme. stirring well. Remove bay leaf. chicken or over plain boiled rice.5 250g kidney beans 250g peas/green beans 3 tsp white pepper 2 cups cabbage (chopped) Method 1. Pour in the stock gradually. pepper. 6. Simmer for 2 minutes. 2. Melt margarine and blend in flour.
mushrooms. Additional water can be added if needed. Add the leeks.2 litres chicken stock ½ tsp nutmeg 1 stalk celery or parsley ½ tsp curry 1 fresh chili pepper 1seasoning cube 1 tbsp milk Method 1. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool. Add the fish mixture. Mix flour and melted margarine. Serve on fried fish or roasted chicken. Beat eggs and milk. Add milk and bring to boil. Add seasonings until smooth. Simmer for 10 minutes and serve hot over boiled rice. dice onion. 3.6 Method 1. Mix flour and half of the fat in a saucepan. Add the mustard. stirring constantly. 1-Teat the vegetable oil in a saucepan and pour in the water. 3. 3. Clean and cut fish into bit size. Place in a bowl and add onion. Cover pan and cook for 6 minutes till potatoes are cooked. stirring constantly until smooth. 6. crab). yam or potatoes. Simmer for 5 minute 5. Stir in the vinegar and cook for about 2 minutes. SEA FOOD SOUP 300g large shrimps 300g oysters 300g clams 1 or 2 medium fresh pepper (chopped) 1 cooked fish (flaked) 1 can mushroom (sliced) 3 large tomato (cubed) 300g crab meat ½ tsp curry 1 medium onion ½ tsp thyme 1 tsp white pepper 1 can tomatoes puree/sauce 500m1 water 2 tbsp vegetable oil Method 1. 2. 4. 4. Add the cleaned shell fish (shrimps. add potatoes. Stir well. Melt fat. Serve over vegetable salads. Gradually add egg mixture to flour mixture over low heat while stirring. clams. potatoes and chili pepper. chilli pepper and seasonings. Clean vegetables. white pepper and salt. Serve 6-8 persons LEEKAND POTATO SOUP 30g margarine 2 large potatoes 4 medium sized leeks salt to taste 1 onion pepper to taste 1. COOKED SALAD CREAM 1 tsp dry mustard l50ml milk 3 tsp sugar 4 tbsp white vinegar pinch black/white pepper 3 tbsp melted margarine 1 tsp salt 1 tbsp flour 1 or 2 eggs Method 1. pepper and diced tomatoes. cover again and cook for about 2 minutes. 5. celery. 3 Stir in beaten eggs. onion and stock. 2. 2. Chop the celery and slice the white part of leeks. 2. Gradually and the rest of melted fat. thyme and curry. . 4. Add the puree tomato sauce and salt. oysters.
7. onion. cotton as well as yam. Gradually add water and vinegar to the flour mixture and stir into the ground beef mixture. stews and sauces are similar to continental types. Apply heat and cook until beef is cooked (about 10 minutes). Thin soups such as pepper soups can be served alone as appetizers. 5. salt and flour. 4. The list includes assorted edible seeds such as melon. to thicken and to stabilize the soup products. seasoning cube and add pepper to taste. They are usually used a accompaniments or toppings to carbohydrate food forms. vitamins and minerals. Add diced onion. 9. celery and spices. cornstarch and cassava starch pastes. Most soups and sauces are normally composed of assorted variety of ingredients that are rich in proteins. Stir in the tomato paste. waterleaf. 5. various optional ingredients are use a to thicken the soup. remove the bones or debone the chicken Cuts. 7. 4. rice or macaroni. green pepper and chopped fresh tomatoes. plantain. Remove from heat and stir in milk before serving as appetizer. 8. Thicken the soup with the flour mixture and cook till onion. 3. Various types of local spices and condiments re usually added to soups to enhance flavour. Put minced beef. Wash and cook the chicken with the water to cover it in the pot for about 20 minutes. cocoyam. Simmer for 3 minutes to improve taste. the . Vegetables like bitter leaf. 6. Serve 6-8. they are highly valued aspects of meals. spinach.7 4. Stir in the corn and eggs. soyabean and melon-oil are the popular types of fats used in the preparation of the soups and sauces. Also. discard the bones and return to the stock. groundnuts. groundnut-oil. Mix together flour and vegetable oil and set aside. turning the soup gently. SPAGHETTI SAUCE 400 ground beef 2 tbsp vegetable oil 1 small onion 2 fresh garlic grated ½ large grated ginger 2 large fresh tomatoes (cubed) 1 tbsp flour 300ml water 1 tsp sugar 1 tbsp vinegar 1 green pepper (chopped) 1 can tomato paste pepper and salt to taste 1 seasoning cube Method 1. Cut the fleshly parts into small slices. When cooked. and pumpkin leaves are generously used in either fresh or dry forms. Season with salt. Although they do not make complete meals. 3. 2. garlic and ginger in a saucepan. Serve hot over plain boiled spaghetti. Make a batter with some of the broth. They may be light or thickened. NIGERIAN SOUP AND SAUCES Nigeria soups. Palm-oil. Serve hot with crackers as an appetizer. 6. CHICKEN CORN SOUP ¼ chicken cut-up 1 1/2 litre water 1 large onion 2 diced hard cooked eggs 1 cob fresh corn/1 can processed corn 1 celery stalk ¼ tsp curry ¼ tsp ½ tsp grated garlic and ginger 1 tbsp flour ½ tsp white pepper salt to taste Method 1. Simmer for 5 minutes. corn and celery are cooked. apon (agbono). 2. Most of the soups and sauces don’t need garnishing because of their colourful natures.
Continue to cook. lime leaf and lemon may be left out to make thin soup while other local spices may be included if desired. WATER LEAF SOUP 600g beef (cut-up and cooked) 300m1 palm oil 1 ½ tsp ground pepper 4 fresh tomatoes (ground) 1 medium onion. Add the beef stock. 7. Place over heat and toast the melon seeds until they are lightly browned. Lemon grass. Grind melon seeds and spices to a smooth paste. palm oil and cooked beef. The soup becomes thicker. The recipes presented are simple enough for anyone to prepare. 2. Put in a pot with half of the water and ½ tsp salt and cook till tooth-done. melon and apon soup preparations. ground salt to taste 1 tsp ground locust bean ½ sachet seasoning mix . 5. Stir well and allow the soup to simmer for about 10 minutes more. 5. Some of the soups and sauces are available in convenience forms. Wash and cut the meat into bit-sized chunks. Pound the thickener (cocoyam/yam) into 2 balls. Now place the melon seeds in a dry frying pan. Serve hot in soup bowls as appetizer. Add pepper. add to the boiling mixture and cover pot. 3. 6. 8. Examples are ready to use pepper soup. cooked I small stock fish 300g smoked fish 250g washed bitter leaf 1 wrap locust bean 4 tbsp ground crayfish 250m palm oil salt and pepper to taste 2 pieces cooked cocoyam/yam 500ml water/stock 1 seasoning tube Method 1. Mix well. salt and potash. Season with salt to taste. 3. Combine the remaining water. 4. Now add the crayfish. BITTER LEAF SOUP 450g lean beef. Prepare stockfish and smoked fish and boil till tender. Dissolve this mixture with a little liquid from meat stock and stir into the soup. 4. fish and vegetables used. 2.8 abundance of meats. Cover and leaves to boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve hot with pounded yam balls. 6. Stir in the bitter leaf and leave to simmer for 5 minutes for tastes to blend. BEEF OFFAL (PEPPER SOUP) 1 medium sized beef/kidney 1 small lime leaf (fresh) 250 tongue/ heart 4 lemon grass leaf 3 tbsp melon seeds (optional) salt to taste 300g cleaned tripe (shaki) 1 seasoning cube 250g liver 1 ½ litre water 1 tsp ground dried pepper Pinch tsp potash (optional) 2 seeds African nutmeg (crushed) 1 pod of enge or uda (seeds removed and crushed) Method 1. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Note: Goat meat offals or cut-up hen can be used in place of beef offals. seasoning cube. They are available on supermarket shelves. washed and lemon grass leaves and lime leaf. pepper and locust bean.
4.Add remaining ingredients except salt and vegetable. pepper and tomato and set aside. Stir well into the oil and meat: Add 1 cup of water and stir in the melon. yam or plain boiled beans. . Cover pot and cook for 2 minutes 7.Stir in the tomato and pepper. BEEF AND FISH OKRO SOUP 250 Cooked beef. Add the paste and keep cooking the sauce at medium heat till it is almost dehydrated and starts forming small lumps. . cut up ½ medium dried-fish 20 medium-sized fresh okro pods 2 large fresh pepper 1 ½ large fresh tomatoes (optional) 1 Seasoning cube 4 tbsp ground crayfish 250 palm oil 1 small onion 40ml of beef/broth water small bunch of pumpkin leaf Method 1. chop onion. cleaned 2 tbsp ground crayfish Method 1. sprinkle with salt and mix gently but thoroughly.Clean and remove bones from dry fish and add to the boiling meat and liquid. Stir in the fish and continue cooking. Stir in the ground ingredients and allow the sauce to cook for about 5 minutes. Stir well and add the beef broth salt and other seasoning. 8. Add the sliced onion pieces and fry till lightly brown. 300m1 vegetable oil Method 1. BEEF/FRESH FISH TOMATO SAUCE (STEW) 400g Cooked beef ½ tsp thyme 1 (8z) tin tomato Paste 1 tsp curry 4 large tomatoes 1 beef seasoning cube 3 large flesh peppers 200ml beef broth/water 1 large Onion salt to taste. 8.9 4 cups picked water leaf ½ cup ground melon 250m1 cup water dry fish. 4. 3. 3. 3. Heat palm oil and fry the beef cutlets lightly. 5. Cook gently under low heat. Add seasoning. 7. 6. 2. 4. 2. Wash the water leaf very well and chop into small bits. Mix well. Cook uncovered over low heat for 2 minutes or till the soup is heated through. 5.Wash and grate okro. Stir-inn beef and fry together for about 5 minutes.place vegetable at the top of the soup. Simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Add all the ground ingredients except the melon. 2. heat the oil to when it starts smoking and fry onion and grated okro in the oil for 5 minutes. unti1 taste is well blended. 6. Serves 6. Serve with pounded yam or amala balls. Remove from heat and serve over hot boiled rice.Combine cooked beef lumps.fish mixture. Fry for two minutes and pour okro mixture into the boiling meat.Serve hot in large soup bowls to be eaten with pounded yam or garri balls. pepper and half of the onion. Pour vegetable oil in a sauce pot and beat the oil to slight smoking level. pepper and salt to the soup and simmer gently until cooked. Wash and blend the tomatoes. Boiled chicken in place of beef. bee broth or water in a pot and heat at simmering temperature.In another sauce pan. stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
Add the palm oil and apply heat to cook for 5 minutes.10 Note: To improve the drawing consistency. Add the chicken broth and bring to full boiling. without overcooking. 4. 6. . Wash and chop the vegetables and onion set aside. Method 1. 7. cleaned fish and fermented melon and the seasoning cube. Semovita. 6. Stir in the chopped vegetables and cook for about 2-3 minutes. 4. prawns and cooked beef and place in a sauce pot with the beef stock. Fufu orAmala balls. eliminate the use of fresh tomato. 3.Stir in the grated okro and keep the soup boiling uncovered. dissolve the ground melon and pepper. 4. Crush in the seasoning cube. FISH/CHICKEN PLAIN MELON SOUP WITH OKRO ½ cut-up older chicken (hen) 10 large dry prawns (ekpa) Medium dry fish 1 seasoning cube 1 ½ cup of melon seeds (ground) pinch of potash ½ wrap fermented melon (ogiri) (opt) salt to taste 2 tbsp ground crayfish 5 medium okro pods (optional) chopped. Add the shrimps.Wash the leafy vegetables thoroughly and slice/chop finely . Blend the pepper and tomatoes. Season with salt. Set aside. 2. 5. grounded pepper and salt and stir briefly. Add beef broth (100ml) and cover to simmer.Prepare the dry fish. 2. periwinkles cooked beef. Remove from heat without over cooling vegetables. washed prawns. 2. cleaned and boneless dry fish. 3. heat slightly to almost smoking point. season with salt and cook in 200ml water until cooked.Add the seasoning cube. shrimps or periwinkle (optional) Method 1. ground pepper and tomato mixture stirring well to prevent burning. pounded yam or cassava meal.Remove from heat and serve with hot Amala. Fry the chopped onion. wash place in a pot.Wash okro fruits thoroughly and grate coarsely. Serve hot with pounded Yam. Cut up older chicken into serving sizes. MIXED VEGETABLE SOUP 200g cooked beef and broth 1 medium dry fish 1 bunch of pumpkin leaf 1 bunch spinach greens 2 bunches water leaf 1 medium onion 6 fresh scent pepper 1 seasoning cube ½ litre palm oil ground dry crayfish salt to taste periwinkles (optional) dry shrimps/prawns 4 medium fresh tomato Method 1. Steam for about 5minutes. In another 200m1 of water in a separate pot. stirring once. Add the cooked chicken. Place palm oil in a sauce pot. HERB OKRO SOUP 20 medium okro fruit (fresh) 4-6 tbsp palm oil 2 tsp ground pepper 4 tbsp ground crayfish 1 medium dry fish 1 bunch pumpkin leaf 1 bunch black pepper leaf (Fresh Ozizza) 1 seasoning cube 200g cooked beef litre beef stock salt to taste dry prawns. 3. 5. Stir in all the chopped vegetables one after the other and cover the pot to steam for 3-5 minutes.
tin melon seed ground small washed bitter leaf 1 small marg. 7. 6. Season with salt to taste. 8. 5. allowing it to bubble for 10 minutes. Serve over the boiled yam or unripe plantain. 2. Cook till the melon-tomato mixture sets and forms small lumps or curdles. 3. 6. Serve warm as soup with pounded yam baits. Sprinkle salt over the soup and add pinch potash. Stir in the remaining water/beef broth. stir occasionally. Mix the ground melon see and locust bean with half of the hot beef broth to a thick paste and Set aside. mix well and cook for 5 minutes with pot covered. Chop the cook shrimps and combine all the ingredients. 4. Add the onion and fry till lightly brown. BREAD AND SHRIMPS APPETIZER 250g cooked shrimps 2-3 tbsp mayonnaise ½ cucumber 6-8 slices whole wheat/plain bread 2 tsp chopped colon Method 1. 5. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. mixing well. if desired. l. 3. Serve 6-8 DRY FISH PALM OIL SAUCE (Uncooked Method) 12 pieces of a small tuber yam 150m1 tin palm oil Water for boiling yam 3-4 tbsp crayfish 1 tsp ground pepper ½ tsp potash 4 small sized dry fish salt to taste Method 1. Blend the tomatoes and peppers.Boil the yam in enough water to cover the yam pieces. Remove cooked yam pieces and reserve t liquid. addthepumpkn1eagtth and boil again for 5 minutes 9. corn meal balls or garri balls. Stir occasionally. Wash and chop the cucumber and set aside. Add the dissolved melon. 2. 7. 4. Mix well and bring soup to boil again cooking for 10 minutes. 3. Tin beef broth salt to taste 4-5 large tomatoes 1 seasoning cube 1 large onion-chopped 3 tbsp ground crayfish 4 large fresh peppers 1 small marg. Spread between two slices of bread and cut into triangles of each sandwich. The thin soup without okro is good for dieters and adequate for convalescents. dry fish. Pour palm oil into sauce pot and heat till it begins to smoke. 4.11 5. Add okro if desired and simmer for 5 minutes till soup is slightly thickened. Debone and clean the fish. Mix well and cover and bring to boil.Gradually pour some quantity of the liquid into the thick sauce i’ the mortar Mix thoroughly with the pestle.Add potash and palm oil. BEEF MELON AND VEGETABLE SOUP 400gs cooked beef 1 small bunch chopped spinach or pumpkin leaves 1 medium smoked fish ½ small tomato tin 1 small mar. except bread in a bowl.Put pepper and crayfish into a wooden mortar. . Serves . 2. Stir in the tomato mixture and steam till almost the dehydrate.Roast the dry fish lightly and put them hot into the sauce to absorb it. Do the top of the sauce with palm oil. Tin palm oil Method 1. Spinach greens may be used in place of okro. squeeze the fish gently to soften them. Dry fish and may be used instead of chicken. Pound till smooth. beef and bitter leaf. Serve warm as soup with pounded ripe plantain and starch or garri balls. 6. Add salt to taste. Mix well with pestle till oil is mixed in the sauce.Using the pestle. stirring constantly. Garnish with tomato wedges and serve as appetizers.
uniform in colour. VEGETABLE SALADS Salads are dishes containing vegetables or combinations of fruits and or vegetables which can be improved with protein items such as meat. garnishes and dressings or creams which act as seasonings. Vegetables and fruits are prominent components of salads. Salads are nUttOiili1C they provide rich sources of vitamins (A& C) iron. b)Cut the items in bite sizes or as indicated in the recipe . inedible skins. All salads have the main ingredients. Wash onion. Almost in all cases Salads are served with some kind of dressing or cream. clean and crisp. fresh. Also choose fruit and vegetable that are firm. 3. Freshly picked vegetables such as leaf vegetables will cook for a shorter period than vegetables such as legumes and root vegetables. Blanching and steaming of vegetables can help to retain flavour colour and food value. When buying vegetables. Method 1. or desserts dishes. The syrup is made by heating 75 grams sugar in 250ml water with lime or lemon juice until the mixtures changes to light brown. texture and colour and nutrient. Excessive heat destroys some of the nutrients in fruits and vegetable and softens them. 5. Wash and rewash vegetables properly before using. well. Cook for 1 minute and stir in the leafy vegetables. They are good sources of vitamins and minerals as well as rouphages. stems and the like must be removed to make eating easy. tomatoes and peppers very well and chop them. The colour is also affected by excessive heat.Avoid mushy products . Add the chopped onion. or blemishes. g)Ensure that the prepare salads are adequately chilled or refrigerated before served. always chose fresh vegetables and fruits instead of canned or frozen ones in order to obtain the true flavor. f)Add salad cream to vegetable salad just before serving. It is cooled and poured over the prepared fruits. eggs or fish. d)Proper hygiene must be maintained when preparing salads in order to avoid contamination by harmful bacteria. tomatoes. a)Ensure that the salads ingredients are fresh. tender or crisp. and rouphages.SALADS Vegetables and fruits are important to meals. FRUIT SALADS Fruit salads are more delicate and lighter than vegetable salads.shaped and without cuts. Place a frying pan over heat and melt the margarine. In preparing salads. Set aside. . Serve hot as an accompaniment to plain boiled rice. They may serve as main. prawns and the flaked fish. They are often used as light and refreshing appetizers or desserts. flavours and optimum palatability. all seeds. 4. Wash and slice the leafy vegetable. Top with fried or poached egg.12 CHAPTER TWO VEGETABLES. ensure that you use little amount of water and that you don’t over cook them. The cooking methods for fruits and vegetables should be selected to enhance maximum retention of nutrients. Use tools to wash and arrange the items and keep salad well garnished. c)Ensure that there is variety in colour texture and taste of items or ingredients. The following is a brief note on salads. e)Vinegar or salted water must be used to wash and rinse the vegetables and fruits to destroy any available bacterium that can cause food poisoning. In preparing the fruits. All fruit salads should be chilled before they are served SAUTE VEGETABLES 500g green leafy vegetable (Spinach) 1 medium onion 200g flaked fish 1 green pepper 100g fresh prawns (cleaned and cooked) 2fresh scent pepper 4 firm tomatoes 25g margarine/I 14 tbsp vegetable oil salt to taste. as an appetizer or an accompaniment to main dish. side. Salads may be served as a separate course. FRUITS AND. When you cook these items. potatoes or plantain. follow these guidelines. Syrup can be added to fruit salads. 2. yam. Cook gently for about 5 minutes till fat is absorbed and vegetables are cooked. peppers.
5.Cut carrots into I-inch segments. Wash onions and cut each into 4 parts. Alternate chunks of meat and vegetable on skewers. toss and mix completely. When slightly brown. 5. Remove. Stir. if desired and top with ketch-up. Serve as side dish with rice or potatoes. 2. Steam the shredded cabbage for 2 minutes. (If fresh) and set aside. STEAMED CABBAGE (side dish) 1 small head of white cabbage 3 tbsp margarine 1 tsp salt to taste 1 onion sliced. onion. 3. CRISPY POTATO CHIPS 2 medium Irish potatoes per person Salt and white pepper ice water vegetable oil for frying Method 1. noodles etc) with grilled or fried chicken/beef. Hear the oil in a frying pan and combine all the ingredients in the oil. . Place beside the meat dish. Add the salt. Wash in salted water and leave to drain.Combine the beef chunks and the vegetables including the drained potatoes in a bowl. Soak the potatoes in ice water for about 30 minutes or 1 hour. . Deseed the green pepper and cut into 1-inchsquares. 2. remove from oil and drain. This can also be baked in the oven by placing in a well-grease aluminum foil which is wrapped securely. 4-6 GARDEN EGG SAUCE . ginger etc 12 small sized tomatoes 4 wooden skewers/toothpicks Method 1. Drain thoroughly. 3. 4. Toss well while cooking over medium heat. 4. Serve as appetizer or snack. Sprinkle salt on the potato strips and fry in deep fat fryer. Wash and peel potatoes. Wash and slice cabbage. Alternatively. 2.fry for 5-6 minutes and serve as side dish with potatoes or cereals (rice. 3.Place in a grilling dish and cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes.Cut the beef into chunks of I-inch cubes. dry thoroughly. 2. Cut them into medium size strips or slices. kitchen wonder can be used to cut potatoes. MIXED VEGETABLE SIDE DISH 250g sliced carrots 2 stalks celery (sliced) 250g sliced green beans 100g sweet corn ½ tsp curry ¼ small cabbage salt and pepper to taste ½ tsp soy sauce 1 sliced onion 2 tbsp vegetable oil Method 1. dot with margarine and stir fry for about 3 minutes.Peel and cut potatoes into 1. carrots and peas.inch cubes and place in ice water to prevent disco10uration. 3. 4. sprinkle some pepper on them. Parboil the green beans.Add the seasonings and toss very well. Method 1. 6.13 BEEF-VEGETABLE KEBABS 250 cooked beef 1-2 potatoes 4 small onions 1 seasoning cube 3 carrots ½ tsp curry and white pepper 1 green pepper ½ tsp thyme. Place in a fry pan.
Heat the oil in a frying pan and proceed to frying the onions. Wash and peel garden eggs. sliced. 3. Combine sugar. Wash. 4. onion. 2. Season with the salt and pepper and mix lightly. Place the tomatoes on t h e lettuce leaves in between the avocados. Method 1. oil. Chop the shrimps in to pieces. salt and vinegar. TOMATO-AVOCADO SALAD 2 avocado pears 2 ½ tbsp lemon juice 2medjum tomatoes ½ tbsp salt Lettuce or cabbage leaves ½ tbsp vinegar 1 tbsp sugar 3 tbsp vegetable oil. Garnish with the egg slices and chill before serving SAUTE SPINACH GREENS 500g greens (spinach or fluted pumpkin) 1 medium onion Margarine or vegetable oil 2-3 fresh scent peppers (optional) salt to taste 1 green scent pepper 100g fresh prawns Method 1. Wash and cut tomatoes into segments. cut each avocados into six segments and peel the skin. Server 4. Method 1. EGGNOG SALAD 1 egg 1 cup flaked coconut . Add the sliced garden egg and season with salt. Wash and slice green leafy vegetables. and the scent peppers. melt the margarine and add the vegetables. Sprinkle them with lemon juice. potatoes or plantain. In a frying pan. pepper and prawns. Arrange the cut avocados on a flat dish lined with the lettuce or cabbage slices. tomatoes and9epper to half-cooked. juice. Now slice the tomatoes. boiled or fried yam or plantain. Stir gently and heat through for 1 minute longer. 3. 2. SHRIMP-EGG SALAD (Appetizer) 100 cooked shrimps salt to taste 1 tbsp lemon juice ½ tsp ground pepper 3 stalks celery. Add flaked fish if desired. Set aside. 3. 3. Remove from heat and serve with fried or boiled yam. onions. Wash and slice the lettuce or cabbage leaves. 2. sliced sliced lettuce leaves 4tbsp mayonnaise 2 hard cooked eggs. Cover and cook for 3 minutes till fat is absorbed. Clean and parboil the fresh prawns shrimps if available. Season with a little salt. Sprinkle the vegetables with lemon juice mixture and chill before serving. Cut into thin slices an set aside. Add the celery and mayonnaise. Cook for 5minutes longer for taste to blend. Serve hot with tomato sauce as a side dish or accompaniment for boiled or Jollof rice.14 3 medium fresh garden eggs 1 medium onion 4-6 medium tomatoes 150m1 vegetable or palm oil 4 fresh pepper salt to taste Method 1. Place the salad on a flat dish lined with sliced lettuce leaves. 2. 4. pepper and onions. 5. lemon.
STIR-FRIED GREENS 1 medium bunch spinach leaves ½ tsp salt ¼ cup water 2 tbsp vegetable oil 1 medium onion/sliced 1 fresh pepper-chopped/sliced Method 1. Peel Yam. Set aside. Tie the lemon grass to make a bunch. When half-cooked. remove the lemon grass bunch and any other edible spices/herbs. 3. Serve as dessert. GOAT MEAT AND YAM CASSEROLE 600g cooked goat meat (deboned) (cutlets) ½ medium tuber yam 2 stalks lemon grass leaf 4 scent leaves 2 tbsp ground crayfish 2 tsp ground African nutmeg 2 crushed and seeded enge pods 1 seasoning cube salt and pepper to taste water for boiling yam Method 1. In a medium pan. pawpaw) ¼ tsp nutmeg. 2. 2. Wash and chop leaf vegetables. egg and sugar) ingredients. add the cooked goat meat (cut-up) to the yam and continue boiling for another 15 minutes till yam is cooked and meat is tender. Do not over cook. crayfish. 2. Chill before serving. scent leaves. Add the blanched green leaves and toss as you fry. watermelon. VEGETABLE RELISHES 1 celery stalk in strip 3 carrots in strip 2 tbsp mayonnaise ¼ tsb salt . Serve as a side ‘dish with jollof rice or top over stew. combine cabbages. Put enough water to cover the yam and put to boiling. Makes 6-7 servings.shredded 1 tspsa1t 600g shredded. 5. Stir well and cover. Bring water to boil and add salt. wash and place the yam pieces in a saucepan. heat the vegetable oil and fry fry onion and pepper slices. RED AND GREEN COLESLAW 4 carrots. 3. Pour over vegetables and mix well. Add the prepared herbs. Blanch. Combine the rest of ingredients and pour into small cups and chill. 50g shopped green pepper Method 1. In a large bowl. Combine the remaining ingredients mixing well. carrots. spices. orange. With boiled unripe plantain (5-6 fingers) may be used in place of yam.15 250m1 milk 1 cup orange juice 1 tbsp sugar or honey sachet of plain gelatin 1 cup mixed fruits(pineapple. 3. Soften g e 1 a tin in the orange juice and melt over hot water. 3. Makes 6 servings. tangerines. Green cabbage 2 tbsp white vinegar 200g shredded red cabbage 3 tbsp granulated sugar. Method 1. chopped leaves and set aside. green pepper and onion. pepper and salt. Serve hot in plain form or topped with palm oil drops. Leave to boil for another 10 minutes 4. 4. Chill in freezer until firm. 2. Stir well again. Mix the eggnog (milk.
6. Stir in the carrot slices. Mix all the remaining ingredients in a bowl and place in the c of a flat dish or tray. MIXED VEGETABLE SALAD 4 medium carrots (diced/grated) 1 small can peas 1 small sized cabbage 1 head lettuce 100g sweet corn 3 firm tomatoes (diced) 1 can baked beans 1 small cucumber-sliced 2 hard cooked eggs-sliced 1 onion sliced and blanched. Garnish the top with egg slices. chopped Salt to taste Method 1. Season with salt if necessary. 2. Chill before serving as appetizers CRUNCHY CAULIFLOWER 1 large head cauliflower 1 onion. Prepare the vegetables (the first five ingredients). 2. sliced 4 tbsp margarine 2 carrots. Cook for about 5-6 minutes and drain off the water. 3. 4. with lettuce leaves as under liners. sliced diagonally 2 hardboiled eggs 1 green chill pepper. Now toss and mix all the vegetables in a salad bowl or arrange them in layers.16 1 cauliflower in chunks ½ graded onion 3 large firm tomatoes in sections 2 tbsp milk 2 cucumbers in slices Method 1. Alternatively. Drain off the water and cool. 2. pepper and cooked cauliflower. Drain the green peas and baked beans and 5. 3. leaving the pale green leaves. Peel and dice carrot and cook in boiled water for 5minutes. Set aside to drain. SALAD CREAM II 4 tbsp evaporated milk 2-4 tbsp vegetable oil 2 eggs yolks 1 ½ tsp sugar 1 tsp mustard ½ tsp salt 2 tbsp white vinegar/lemon juice ½ tsp white pepper 2 tsp boiling water . Wash again with vinegar and salt solution. The mi serves as a dip for the vegetable. Melt the margarine in the small frying pan and add the onion. arrange the vegetables on a flat dish in diagonal or circular arrangement. Stir-fry for3 minutes and serve hot. Makes 8 servings. Garnish with egg white slices around the dish and the yolks as topping on the cauliflower. Arrange the prepared vegetables around the bowl. Peel and slice cucumber thinly. Note: Carrots can be sliced or grated in long strips and used in the raw state instead of dicing and blanching. Wash cauliflowers well and place in salt water. vegetables wash in salted water or vinegar solution. 4. Chill well in the refrigerator and serve with salad cream. Remove the large outer green leaves. Trim off the hard stem and cut cauliflower well small chunks. 7. peas and baked beans. 3. Wash and slice cabbage and lettuce thinly. 1 medium beet root diced blanched ½ green pepper diced salad dressing/cream/mayonnaise Method 1.
3. Crush the peanuts and combine all the ingredients. CABBAGE SALAD ½ small firm white cabbage I stalk celery or spring onion 2 large carrots. 3. 5. CUCUMBERAND COCONUT SALAD 3 medium cucumbers 2-3 carrots 1 small coconut Lettuce leaves/cabbage 100g roasted peanuts (pealed) Mayonnaise Method 1.cooked and diced 2 stalks spring onion/celery-chopped ½ tsp salt 3 hard boiled eggs. whisking continuously. Remove the hard brown back of the coconut and shred or grate as well. Garnish with cucumber slices. Wash and chop celery or spring onion. add a little milk or vinegar to thicken. Pour oil gradually. peeled and diced 4 tbsp shredded coconut 1 tbsp sugar salt to taste 2 tbsp mayonnaise Method 1. Now shred the cucumbers. Slice the remaining cucumber and to serve. Mix all ingredients together. Put in salad bowl and garnish with wedges of tomatoes. chopped 1 small onion chopped ½ tsp white/black pepper 4 tbsp mayonnaise or salad cream . pepper. Wash cucumbers. 5. cashew nuts and apple with skin 4. Set aside. 3. Continue whisking till mixture is thick. sugar and mustard in a bowl and whisk well. Chill and serve with salad cream or mayonnaise. 2. Slice the lettuce or cabbage leaves and set aside. Add the boiling water and milk after whisking well. POTATO SALAD 4 large potatoes. 6. 2. take another egg yolk with ½ tsp water and add to mixture and whisk well. Prepare cabbage and shred finely. 2.17 Method 1. Sanitize vegetable very well to destroy harmful micro organisms. 4. 2. Reserve one for slicing. Line a flat dish with the lettuce or cabbage leaves and serve the salad on the leaves. Chill and top with mayonnaise before serving. Top with mayonnaise. grated long ½ of one beet root (diced) 3 tbsp shredded coconut ½ small onion 50g cashew nuts (optional) 2 firm ripe tomatoes salad cream to taste 1 green or red apple Method 1. 4. Place yolks. Peel and grate the carrot in long pieces and combine all the shredded vegetables in a bowl. slit and remove the seeds. Toss gently and set aside. Make 8 servings. vinegar. salt. If mixture is too thick. Chop onion. CARROT-CUCUMMBER SALAD 3 large carrots (shredded) 2 large cucumbers. Put all ingredients except mayonnaise in a salad bowl or arrant vegetables by alternating them and having the salad well garnished.
Gently toss the ingredients together. 3. Spread the egg salad over the lettuce leaves and garnish with the remaining eggs (cut in segments) or seeded tomatoes. SWEET CORNAND EGG SALAD 4 hard cooked eggs 2 bunches lettuce leaves sliced 1/2 green pepper-chopped 5 large fresh shrimps cooked 2 tbsp mayonnaise pinch salt and white pepper 1 tbsp lime/Lemon juice 2 stalks celery-diced 200g sweet corn Method 1. Use sharp knife to scoop out the inside of the pineapple and reserve the shell. Toss them lightly together and season with salt and white pepper. green pepper and white pepper in bowl. 3. 5. 2. green pepper. . 4. In a large. 4. Line a flat dish with the lettuce leaves. Serve chilled. Prepare the other vegetables and combine the diced eggs shrimps. 2. Makes 6 servings PLAIN EGG SALAD 4 hard boiled eggs (diced) 1 stalk celery-finely chopped 2 tbsp mayonnaise/salad cream ½ green pepper-finely chopped 1 small onion-chopped (optional) ½ tsp white pepper Method Place the diced eggs. The leafy end serves as cover for the larger part of the pineapple. Allow syrup to cool. Add the cream or mayonnaise and toss lightly. 3. 5. Garnish with few shredded carrots or sweet red pepper. 4. Prepare the other fruits by slicing bananas and chopping others. 6. Refrigerate before serving into cocktail glasses. Add the syrup to fruits and mix up gently. Add the salt and mayonnaise or cream. celery and sweet corn. 5. 3. Now fry the onion in small fat or oil until golden brown and add to the salad. Cook the sugar in the pineapple juice or water until it dissolves. Chill and top with mayonnaise before serving FRUIT BASKET / SURPRISE 4 firm bananas-sliced 4 orange-peeled and chopped 1 medium pineapple ½ watermelon 2 firm ripe mangoes or pawpaw 4 tbsp sugar ½ cup raisins (optional) 1 cup pineapple juice/water 2 limes Method 1. 2. Combine all the fruits in a bowl and set aside. Chop the shrimps and dice only 2 cooked eggs.18 Method 1. excepts salad cream. 6. chopped celery. Serves a starter on appetizer or a snack with crackers/toasted bread. making sure that the eggs dc not scatter much. Cut across the pineapple to the leafy end smaller than the other part. Squeeze out the juice from one lime and pour over sliced bananas to prevent browning. combine all ingredients. 1.
2. pile high the shell. After 301 minutes. coconut. 4. Reserve mayonnaise to time of serving. chop onion and grate the carrots add these to the cabbage in the bowl of salted ice water. BAKED SPICED FRUITS 250g chopped pineapples 250g apple or mangoes 250g seedless orange sections 2 tbsp sugar 1/8 tsp salt a pinch nutmeg Method 1. 3. 2. drain the cabbage and other vegetables thoroughly. Also’ clean the carrots and onion. Combine all the ingredients. sugar and pepper. Serves 8-10. Boil for another 5 minutes till syrup thickens. Wash cabbage very well. CRISPY COLESLAW 450g fresh white cabbage 1 green pepper ¼ green pepper 2 large carrots 1 litre ice water 1 tbsp sugar 2 tbsp white vinegar 3 mayonnaise pinch salt and white pepper Method 1. Using the kitchen wonder. Filltl4e pineapple shell with the mixed fruits. watermelon and pineapple in a mixing bowl. Combine oranges. Mix up thoroughly. SPICED FRUIT SALAD ¼ water fl’1eOfl (diced) 250m1 orange juice 50e. Leave it to cool and pour over a bowl of fruit salad. SUGAR SYRUP FOR FRUIT SALAD 100g sugar 250ml water Method 1. 2. Add the mayonnaise and serve. Wash and cut the green pepper to remove core and seeds. Place water and sugar in a sauce pot and heat till sugar is dissolved. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour and serve in dessert cups or cocktail bowls as dessert. Decorate with lime slices. shred cabbage and put in a bowl containing ice water and the vinegar or lemon juice. cover bowl and chill in the refrigerator. Now shred the green pepper. currants. . Toss them well in a salad bowl. 8. Season with salt. using the fruits that have been washed. Makes 8-10 servings. shredded coconut 4 tbsp honey 2 tbsp lemon juice ¼ chopped pineapple 100g currants/raisins 1 tsp all spice ½ tsp vanilla and nutmeg 3 seedless oranges (peeled and diced) Method 1. peeled and chopped. cover with the leafy end and chill. lemon Juice. Add orange juice and honey. all spice and nutmeg over the fruit mixture and toss well. 3. 6. 5. Sprinkle vanilla.19 7.
2. tin beans (uncooked) 2 marg. Keep chilled. Taste for salt and pepper. Whisk very well. Stir very well to mix up the ingredients. Cooked for 1 minutes longer and s e r v e warm as a packed meal or main dish. Tin shelled fresh maize 3. SALAD CREAM (MAYONNAISE) 1. cover pot and boil for 5 minutes. 4. With a little water left in the cooked beans-maize. dry mustard 4. Sprinkle a little salt over the yams. 5. Makes 4 servings. 2. mixing well. 1 ½ tsp sugar ½ tsp white pepper Method 1. Serves 4. Serve warm as a main dish. BEANS AND MAIZE POTTAGE 1 ½ marg. 3. Sieve all the dry ingredients as well. 4. 2. Grape fruit can be used in place of orange. 7. Stir well. . wash and cut yam into 2 inch squares. and blend in the vegetable oil. Peel. 2 tbsp vegetable oil 2tbsp white vinegar/lemon juice 3. Add maize to the beans and cook both until soft. Tin large chunks of dry fish salt to taste water salt to taste 3-4 tbsp crushed crayfish 1 medium onion Method 1. pour the palm oil over all the yam surface. Mix well and serve as topping or sauce for vegetable salads. Simmer for 5 minute e s more. cover the pot and bring to boil. Combine all the sieved ingredients in a bowl and add milk gradually. Now clean fish chop onion and leafy vegetables and set aside. Place yams in a saucepot and fill with enough water to cover the yams. Mix well and place in a greased baking dish. 6. Sort and wash the maize. 3. 3. Bake over medium heat in the oven for 30 minutes. 4. Cook for about 25 minutes or till yam cuts are cooked.20 2.peppers (chopped) I large onion (sliced) 2 medium tomatoes (chopped) 2 tbsp crushed crayfish 1 milk tin dry prawns 2 marg. Add potash if desired. sprinkle the ground dry pepper and add the fish. When yam is almost cooked. crayfish and onion. Cover pot and boil for about 10 minutes till liquid become a thick sauce and yam cuts have absorbed some oil. Wash and parboil beans till half cooked. 4 tbsp evaporated milk ½ tsp salt 2. 4. YAM AND VEGETABLE POTTAGE ½ tuber of medium soft white yam 1 medium dry fish/cooked beef 10 stalks of pumpkin/green vegetable 1 ½ tsp ground pepper 200m1 of palm oil Method 1. Serves 4-6. Press the egg yolks through a sieve to smooth. Serve as appetizer for breakfast or dessert. 2 yolks from hard boiled eggs. 3. Add the leafy vegetable and stir well. Add the palm oil and the other ingredients. stirring gently to distribute the ingredients well. Add the vinegar gradually too.
Dry shrimps can be inserted into balls when being dropped in oil as a form of garnishing. Stir in the warm water gradually and the flaked fish. Makes 5-6 servings. 4. peel and cut potatoes into about 8 slice. Stir well with the wooden spoon and heat the oil in a deep frying pan. Fry until golden brown on all sides turning frequently. 2. Add little water. Makes 15-20 small balls. Fry in the hot oil until golden brown on both sides. BEAN PASTE POTATOES 2 medium sweet potatoes 2 cups bean paste 1 ½ tsp ground pepper veg. Oil for deep frying 4 fresh pepper 2 table sp. Now dip each slice into the beans paste mixture and coat the Potato slice generously. Adding the water gradually. 3. 300ml warm water. Wash. STEAMFD BEAN PASTE (MOI-MOI) 2 Cups beans veg.Blend in the crayfish and salt. Serve hot as snacks. salt and chopped onion.Put in a bowl and beat or stir vigorously. Taste for salt and season . Serve hot with pap as breakfast dish. Method 1. Sort and dehaul the beans. Beat till mixture is light and fluffy. Heat the oil for frying. Method 1. Continue the beating of paste to retain air till all the frying is completed. 6.Sort and dehaul beans and grind together with fresh peppers and onion. adding the oil gradually. Beaten eggs or ground crayfish may be added to improve nutrient content and flavour. 2. grind into a very smooth thick paste and put in a clean bowl.21 BEAN BALLS (AKARA OR FRIED BEAN CAKE) 2 cups of white beans salt to taste 1 large onion 100ml warm water 1 tsp ground dry pepper vegetable oil for deep frying 2 chopped fresh pepper Method 1. 4. Test oil for moderate frying temperature using drop of water. Put in a bowl of cool water. each of half inch thickness. 5. Use medium dessert spoon to drop the mixture in balls into the oil. Ground crayfish 1fledium onion 2 hard boiled eggs chopped or sliced 200ml vegetable/palm oil 2 ½ tablesp flaked fish Salt to taste 2 deseeded fresh tatashe peppers 1 bunch of wrapping leaves or steaming cups. Drain the sweet potato slices thoroughly. 1. 5. Prepare the bean paste as for Akara balls. 2. Add the pepper. oil for deep frying 1 ½ tomato tin water salt to taste. 3. 6. cream or beat the beam paste vigorously enough to incorporate air into it. pepper and salt to bean paste and beat well.
4. Add salt to taste. Make 12-14 cups or wrappings. plantain or fried potatoes and plantain. Serve as snack. Add sliced onion and crayfish. 3. ground pepper. serve warm with pap for breakfast as side dish with jollof rice. 2.Put water to boil in a steaming pot and place deep pot packed with few sticks or plantain leaves to keep moi-moi from direct heat. 3. 2. BEEF STEW 2cupsbeans Enough water to cook beans Salt to taste Crayfish. Make 5 servings. FRIED RIPE PLANTAIN SLICES 2 large ripe plantains 1 ½ tsp. wash and begin cooking in the plain water. Serve as side dish to plain boiled rice. Heat the vegetable oil and fry till crisp. 4. Slices may be lengthwise or crosswise. Note: Tomato paste may be added to improve colour. Heat oil in a frying pan to moderate temperature and fry the plantain slices till lightly brown on all sides. Using a knife or a portable slicer. Cover and cook to bind the ingredients. Sprinkle salt all over and toss well. cut plantain about 1/8 inch thickness. Serve as side dish for stewed beans or rice dishes. 4. Serves 4 CRISPY FRIED UNRIPE PLANTAIN SLICES 2 medium unripe plantain ½ tsp. Sort beans. Stir well and season with salt to taste. 4. Salt palm oil/vegetable oil for frying Method 1. Fold and leaves properly before arranging in the pot.22 well. 2. yam. boiled unripe plantain or fried ripe plantain. DRY CORN AND BEAN STEW . Add Potash to soften the water and facilitate the cooking.Place the pot and pour in boiled water through side of the pot to the level of the packings. Cook for 20 minutes and stir in the oil and ground pepper. Wash and peel the plantains. Remove and drain. Serve with tomato sauce (stew) and plain boiled rice.Stir the mixture well again and scoop one or two spoonfuls into greased aluminum cups or wrapping leaves. 5. Wash and peel plantains.Steam 35minutes. Boil for about 40 minutes or until soft cooked. onion (as desired) 1 cup palm oil or groundnut oil cooked meat/dry fish Method Boil beans and meat together. Corned beef may be used in place of sliced eggs. Scoop into colander for oil to drain off. PLAIN BOILED BEANS 1 cup beans Pinch potash 4 cups water pinch salt Method 1. Sprinkle salt all over the slices and set aside for 5 minutes 3. Stir to thicken. 6. y potatoes. salt Vegetable oil for frying Method 1. Leave to simmer till beans is well cooked but not broken. Slice them diagonally in ¼ inch thickens to a bowl.
Serve and garnish with sliced green pepper and fried fresh prawns. 3. Sort and clean beans. Fish can be prepared by any of the above mentioned methods and should not be overcooked. pepper. FISH AND EGGS Meat is generally the main item of a meal and is obtained from a variety of animals. 5. Cooked beef chunks can be used instead of gizzard. salt and crayfish. When cooked. Leave to cook until soft. the type of feed and the amount of muscle greatly influence the quality of the meat when cooked. sodium and magnesium. Thread the cooked gizzards on small skewers or toothpicks with the onion chunks place in between the gizzards (3 gizzards pieces to 2 onion chunks). CHICKEN GIZZARD KEBABS 450gs chicken gizzards 2 onions-cut in chunks 1 tsp curry Salt and pepper 2 tbsp melted margarine 5 wooden or metal shewers Method Clean and wash the gizzards and cut in halves. Clean and put the dry corn in salted boiling water and cook till half. Parboil them for about 10 minutes. Examples are liver. They are good sources of such vitamins as the B complex group. Add fish if available and cook for another 3 minutes. Cook until the both oil and the liquid are well blended. tripe (shaki). CHAPTER THREE MEAT. Add the beans to the boiling corm. inc1udiig fish. Season with salt.cooked. palatable and digestible. vitamin A and I. potassium. frying and braising are three general. Excessive heat can easily make fish t i and dry. Serve 8-10. 2. All meats including poultry must be well cooked but over cooking and excessive heat makes them tough and dry. marrows etc. Meats. 4. The age of animal. heart. Beef is the most important meat used and the muscle fibres are the most desirable parts. Brush with melted margarine and grill or bake over medium heat for 10-15 minutes. tail. methods of cooking meats. phosphorus.23 1 ½ cup dry corn 1 tsp pepper Enough water for boiling 1 medium onion. Whole chicken and turkey should be stuffed before cooking. Roasting. chopped Smoked fish (deboned) 100ml palm oil salt to taste 1 tbsp ground crayfish ½ green pepper for garnishing Method 1. Frequently turn and brush with fat. brains. clam. tongue. They also supply iron. CHICKEN NUGGETS 450g cooked chicken (minced) 4 slices of bread (crust removed) 1 tbsp margarine 1 tbsp flour . crabs etc. Other methods include broiling or grilling and stewing. There are certain organs and glands of the animals called variety meats that are used as delicacies in meals. intestines. to destroy bacteria and to improve its appearance. poultry and eggs are complete proteins. All meats should be well-cooked to make them tender. The shell fish include shrimps. add the palm oil. kidneys. pepper and curry. Fish is also complete protein and is available in two major forms: fin fish and shell fish. stirring frequently.
Remove from heat an allow to cool completely. onion slices celery and seasonings for2 minutes. BRAISED CURRIED CHICKEN/TURKEY 2 thighs of chicken/turkey wing (cut up) 3 tsp curry 3 tbsp margarine/vegetable oil 1 seasoning Method Stir and mix up curry powder. 4. Cook under low heat for about I V2 hours till cooked and lightly brown. SHRIMP KEBABS 300g large fresh shrimps salt and pepper to taste . stirring constantly. 2.24 1 40m1 milk 1 chilli pepper. Melt the margarine in a flying pan and remove from heat. Remove from heat when macaroni is tender. 2 small onions sliced 1 stalk celery chopped 1 tsp salt 2 litres beef broth 1 package elbow macaroni 1 can green pees 1 tsp dried bay leaf crushed 2-3 curry powder 2 seasoning cubes or sachet mix. Note: The same method for braised beef can be used but add sliced (3) red pepper. Method 1. 34 onion and 1 fresh tomato to the cut-up beef. finely chopped 1 tbsp chopped parsley Pinch salt 2 eggs Vegetable oil for deep frying Method Toast the bread and crush into breadcrumbs. Season the chicken well and place in a sauce pot with 1 cup of water. Cover and cook for about 6-10 minutes. Stir in the chicken/beef broth and bring to boil Place cooked macaroni in the pot and stir in the braised beef/chicken. With hands well flowered shape the cooled mixture into balls. place macaroni and cook as directed on package drain off. 5. In a saucepan. Stir in the flour and add the milk. CURRIED MACARONI Braised beef (cooked) 4 tbsp vegetable oil. onion and parsley. Combine part of the breadcrumbs with the minced chicken and set aside. Add the chilli pepper. Drain and serve with ketchup as appetizer. In another saucepan. Coat the egg washed balls with the remaining breadcrumbs and fry in deep frying pan. chopped 1 spring onion. 3. Stir in the chicken and breadcrumbs into the white sauce (milk and flour mixture). Season with salt to taste. Return to heat and bring to boil. Cook until golden brand on all sides. Use a fork to turn the balls in the beaten egg or use pastry brush to coat with egg. Steam under low heat for 1 ‘/2 hours till browned. 6. melted margarine and seasoning cube in a small bowl and set aside. Stir in the drained peas and serve hot garnished with parsley leaves. heat vegetable oil. Prepare braised beefy chicken and set aside. Wash and allow cut-up chicken to drain off water. Serve hot with braised rice.
leaving the tail in place. Add salt. Remove shell from shrimps. grill over medium flame for 45minutes it can also be fried in deep fat. Devin (remove the vein that contain sand) and wash well. onions and tomatoes on short skewers. 2. sausage or ground beef and margarine in a saucepan. Serve with white or yellow sauce as appetizer or without sauce as cocktail-item. pepper and chopped garlic and cook for another 2 minutes longer. SHRIMPS IN BATTER 1kg fresh shrimps (large size) (about 15-20 shrimps) ½ tsp curry ¼ tsp salt oil for deep frying Method 1. Cook for 5-6 minutes. 3. SAVOURY MEATBALLS 1kg ground beef 2 tbsp dried onion flakes 1-2 eggs 1 green pepper diced salt and pepper to taste ¼ tsp thyme maggi or soy sauce l tbsp bread crumbs Method Combine all the ingredient in a bowl and mix up thoroughly. Wash well and season with curry and salt. Place them in greased roasting or grilling pan. Serve as appetizer or snacks for cock tail party. 2. Combine the shrimps and all other ingredients in a large bowl. Bake or grill toothpicks into meat balls. Grill over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or fry in hot deep fat. Toss gently and alternatively arrange shrimp. Makes 8-10 serving. BEEF ROLLUPS 250grams ground beef or sausage 2tablesp. Serve 8. following the directions below BATTER 150g flour ½ or 1 egg 50m1 milk 1 ½ tsp baking powder pinch salt pepper (optional) . Brush oil on kebab. removing the shells but leaving the details in place. 4. Roll up the liver or beef slices as for sausage rolls and secure with tooth picks. and devein. Chopped onion 1 teasp margarine lean beef l teasp chopped garlic salt and pepper to taste 8-10 thin slices of liver \soft Method 1. When cooked brush with curry sauce and serve hot as appetizer or finger foods. Combine onions. 5. Set aside for the seasoned shrimps to absorb flavours while batter is being prepared. Shape into balls that look like the size of large walnuts.25 2 large green pepper (cut in squares) 3 large firm tomato (in squares) 2 onion (cut in squares) 3 tbsp vegetable oil curry and thyme (optional) Method Clean shrimps. 6. Spread the ground beef/sausage mixture over lightly salted thin beef or liver slices. green pepper.
2. puffed and lightly browned. FISH PUFFS 600g cooked fish 30g flour (2thsp) 1 medium onion chopped 1 green pepper chopped Veg. Beat egg whites until foamy and stiff and fold in the fish mixtures. Flake the cooked fish very well. ½ tsp baking powder 1-2 tbsp water 1 egg. 5. Put immediately into hot fat. 2. well beaten Method 1. 3. Fry until golden brown. Serve with sauce as an appetizer. 6. except the tail. Dip each shrimp into the pre-heated oil and cook until golden brown. Add the seasonings and flour and beat well until mixture is creamy 4. Makes 20 balls. Separate the egg whites and yolks. Beat the eggs ma large bowl and add the fish one at a time turning well. Flatten to give the butterfly shape. 4. Drain the fried fish and serve garnished with celery leaves or parsley leaves. salt and baking powder in a bowl and gradually adding the beaten egg in l tbsp water if batter is stiff. Drain off fat and serve with ketchup as appetizer BUTTERFLY SHRIMPS ½ kg large fresh shrimps 65g flour 1 tbsp corn starch Vegetable oil for deep frying. corm starch. beaten egg yolk and flaked fish. Beat the egg and gradually mix up with flour. Make a batter with the flour. add the remaining water. 3. Mix flour and seasonings in a large plastic bag. Toss onions. Drop spoonfuls into baking dish or fry in hot fat until crisp. 5. remove shell and devein. Insert toothpicks into balls and serve as cocktail dish. 3. Combine all ingredients except egg. Now dip each prepared shrimp into the batter and coat the shrimp generously. FISH IN BATTER (FRIED FISH) 6 fish fillet (makarel) 225g flour 2 eggs ½ tsp white/black pepper Oil for flying 1 ½ tsp baking powder Method Rinse the fish and keep to dry. Oil for deep frying 2 eggs 2tsp soy sauce/ ½ seasoning cube ½ tsp curry salt and white pepper Method 1. Split shrimps down the back to about /2 inch to the tail. add the flour coated pieces of fish and fry until dry. Clean shrimps. CRISPY BAKED CHICKEN l25grams bread crumbs / crack 1/4 tsp salt . Serve hot with ketchup or yellow sauce. 2. Place the egg coated pieces of fish into the bag and shake well to coat each piece of fish.26 Method 1. Heat oil for frying in a large frying pan (about 2 inch deep) When oil is hot.. removing all bones.
3. Place some fried chicken pieces in a greased baking pan or dish. 4. pepper and flour together. salt cabbage and the seasonings. 6. 2. Place n pre-heated oven for 5 minutes or microwave oven for 5 minutes.27 ¼ tsp white pepper ¼ tsp curry 1 whole chicken (broiler) 1 seasoning cube 60 grams (4tbsp) melted margarine Method 1. Grease a baking dish/pan. Clean the chicken very well and allow to drain. Coat the chicken pieces with the flour mixture. salt. Wash again and set aside to drain off water (parboil if broiler is not used). Mix margarine. Beat the eggs and mix beaten eggs with the vegetable mixture and some currants. 4. Rub the margarine mixture over chicken parts. 3. Alternatively. Add garlic and ginger. Remove from heat and set 1. chopped 2 whole tomatoes 25ograms cabbage. Serve with rice dishes. Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and cook the coated chicken in the hot oil till it is brown. sliced 1 tsp grated garlic ½ tsp white pepper ½ tsp salt mixed fruit ½ tsp thyme 2 eggs Method 1. chicken cut ups tan be seasoned and parboiled before grilling. SPICED CHICKEN 1 medium chicken 2 large onions sliced 2 small fresh pepper chopped l tsp thyme . basting with the curry and margarine mixture. 2. Pour the egg-vegetable mixture over the chicken and top with the remaining fried chicken pieces and currants. 5. Cook and debone. then roll the chicken pieces in the bread crumbs mixture. Melt the margarine. Serve as snack. sliced 70 grams currants 1 tsp curry 1 large onion. Deseed the tomatoes and dice them. Serve 4-6. aside. Cut chicken into pieces. Wash and cut up chicken in to serving pieces or portions. Drain off oil from the pan and stir-fry the onion. diced tomatoes. stirring frequently. Combine breadcrumbs or crushed cracker crumbs and other ingredients except the margarine. coat the dry chicken pieces first in m e It e d margarine. Turning chicken frequently. minced ginger 1 ½ tsp curry powder l tsp salt 1 medium chicken-broiler 1 seasoning cube Method 1. Mix ¼ tsp salt. 6. Remove immediately from hea and set aside. 3. GRILLED CURRIED CHICKEN 50 g margarine melted 1 clove garlic. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Grease a baking dishes or tray and place the coated chicken pieces in the lightly grease dish or pan. Now cut the flesh into small strips or chunks. CHICKEN/FISH FIESTA 500g broiler chicken/flaked cooked fish l25grams flour sifted 200ml vegetable oil 1 green pepper. Grill over medium heat for ½ hours. 2. 4. maggi and curry in a bowl. green paper.
5. Secure cavity tightly with toothpick or tie legs with a string. Put chicken parts in to a pot and some of the prepared spice. 1 tsp all spice (optional) l tsp curry Method 1. and dry. Wash up chicken thoroughly. Remove from top cooker and arrange chicken in a greased baking tray. Cross the legs and tic them together with a string. Rub the melted margarine mixture and curry over the outer surface of the chicken. thyme. Put in a greased baking dish and roast in oven for about 1½ to hours. Garnish with tomato and onion slices arranged at the sides of the dish. Before serving. cut chicken thoroughly and set aside for liquid to drain off (10 minutes). CRISP FRIED FISH 8-10 market fish fillet 150grams salt and pepper seasoned flour . looping the string. 2. placing the skin up side down. Combine spices in small mortar and pound. 7. ginger) Method 1. 4. Remove and arrange into baking trays and roast in oven at 3500 for 25-35 minutes. 3. 3. remove tooth picks and strings. parboil chicken for 15 minutes or until half cooked. Parboil chicken and leave to cool if necessary. 4. Rub some into the cavity of the chicken. 7. Stuff the cavity with the stuffing mixture.28 5 cloves garlic minced 1 tsp ginger minced Chicken seasoning cubes ½ tsp salt 3 large tomatoes sliced. CRISP FRIED CHICKEN (IN BATTER) 1 medium chicken 150g flour 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp salt 8tbsp milk 1 large egg-well beaten seasoning as desired (curry. 4. Prepare the other ingredients. Baste frequently with melted margarine. 2. Toss with fat from chicken and the remaining ground spices. STUFFED ROAST CHICKEN (a) I whole chicken (broiler) (b) Stuffing Salt and pepper 1 onion sliced thinly or chapped 1 tsp margarine 1 tbsp melted margarine 4 tbsp hard cooked rice or bread crumb salt and white pepper Pinch of thyme and curry. salt and pepper. Season the chicken and dip in batter. Mix the melted margarine. Mix the remaining ingredients for batter. 2. 1 stalk chopped celery Method 1. Turn and baste the chicken frequently. Fry in deep until golden brown but not completely cooked. Wash chicken and allow the chicken to drain off water. 5. and mix thoroughly and stir fry for 2 minutes. Serve with rice and potato dishes. 6. Wash. Combine all the stuffing ingredients. 3. Roast for 1 hour. tie the wings against the back. Prepare raw chicken by cutting into serving sizes or pieces. 6.
Now dip each filler into the beaten egg to coat or use a pastry brush to brush the egg onto the fillets. 2. mix up thoroughly and shape into balls looking like large walnuts. chopped Method 1. Dredge the fillet lightly with the seasoned flour. 3. chopped 1 stalk celery. ketchup and mixed vegetable side dish. slightly beaten 1 sachet fish seasoning 4 tbsp Dry breadcrumbs Vegetable oil for frying Chopped parsley leaves for garnishing Method 1. Cut slits on the sides of the fish.29 1 egg. Cook for about 3minutes on each side and drain before serving. Remove from heat when brown. mixing well. Grill over medium direct heat in oven for 1 ½ hours. 2. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. 4. seasoning cube. white pepper. GRILLED STUFFED FISH 1 whole fish with back bone and gills removed 2 tbsp melted margarine Salt. 2. B) SPAGHETTI SAUCE 3 tbsp vegetable oil 1 small onion ½ tsp ginger (grated) 1 tsp garlic (grated) 4 firm tomato-cubed 1 tbsp flour Method 300m1 water/broth 1 tsp sugar (optional) 1 tbsp vinegar ½ green pepper 1 small can tomato paste pepper and salt to taste . curry thyme. Baste fish frequently and turn over to prevent sticking. Remove any small bones from the fillet. Secure the cavity with toothpick. Serve with rice pilaf. Baste the fish with melted margarine and seasonings. Combine the seasoned flour and fish seasoning. Garnish with tomato wedges and serve with potatoes chips. sliced Salt and seasoning cube Pinch thyme 1 tbsp margarine 1small pepper. Coat the egg-washed fillets into the seasoned flour again. 5. FISH BALLS IN SPAGHETTI SAUCE a) FISH BALLS 500g minced beef or cooked flaked fish 2 tbsp dried onion. Slice fish open and wash fish thoroughly and dry. 1 onion. 1 egg(beaten) ½ tsp thyme ½ seasoning cube ½ tbsp crushed cracker/bread crumbs ½ green pepper-diced Method 1. Combine all the ingredients for stuffing and toss them lightly over heat for 2 minutes. 3. Pour vegetable oil over them in a grilling dish and grill over direct heater or bake in the oven. 4. Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan and fry the fillets on both sides until golden brown. Fill the cavity of the fish with stuffing.
carrot. 4. Serve over the grilled fish balls on cooked spaghetti. ½ seasoning cube and pepper. Mix the flour and water in a bowl and set aside. Add 2 tbsp water. ½ tsp seasoning onion. Brown on both sides. chopped 2-1 stales celery. Now mix remaining margarine. Heat oil in a deep frying pan and carefully break the eggs n e by one into the fairly deep hot oil. Method 1. Shape into small patties and fly in preheated vegetable oil. Place in a frying pan and steam for 2-3 minutes. Add the green pepper. 2. 5. Wash very well and leave to dry (drain off water) 2. 3. Sprinkle salt and pepper at the top. chopped ½ tsp thyme 1 tsp fish seasoning 4 tbsp margarine (melted) 4tbsp bread crumbs or hard boiled rice. thyme. chopped ½ tsp curry ½ onion. CELERY STUFFED FISH 1 whole frozen cracker 1 fresh pepper. Make diagonal slits on each side of the fish and brush the margarine and seasoning mixture all over the cavity and external surfaces of the fish. Serve with ketchup as filling for sandwich. Add the sugar and season with salt. Debone cooked fish completely and flake very well 2. In a bowl. oil and onion in a sauce pot. 3. FRIED FISH PATI1ES 500g cooked flaked fish 2 tbsp corn starch 1 small onion-finely chopped salt to taste 1 tbsp grated carrot ½ tsp curry 1 tsp grated fresh ginger 2 tbsp vegetable oil 1 egg white Method 1. Remove from heat after 2 minutes. Mix the fish together with onion. fresh chopped tomatoes and the paste. split through to remove the backbone and intestines plus gills. Gradually add the vinegar to flour mixture and stir into the pot of sauce. Garish with the tomato slices or chopped parsley. stirring well. Fill the cavity of the fish with the prepared stuffing. Lace with toot picks to secure the fish cavity. Use as stuffing for the cavity of the fish. Cook for 3 minutes. 3. ginger.30 1. 2. BEEF GOULASH 1 kg tender beef (steak) 1 tsp grated garlic . FRENCH FRIED EGGS 3 eggs Salt and pepper vegetable oil for deep frying Method 1. and ½ tsp fish seasoning. Now allow patties to be properly cooked. cornstarch. Drain well and serve onto a flat dish. Serve with grilled sausage and toast for breakfast. Baste fish again with remaining melted margarine. curry. curry and egg white. 6. Turn down the heat and cover the frying pan and cook for5 minutes. combine 1 tbsp melted margarine hard boiled rice. chopped pepper and celery. Shape each egg with the frying spoon so as to enclose the yn1k in crisply fried white. Place in a baking tray d grill or barbecue over direct heat for about ½ hour. salt. Clean fish thoroughly. 4. 3. Turn occasionally prevent sticking. Apply heat and cook briefly. Put the garlic ginger.
flour. spaghetti). 4. FISH-RICE FINGERS IN TOMATO SAUCE l50g fish. Add the onions and garlic and brown them lightly.Heat the margarine in another pan and fry grated onion and green pepper lightly. Add blended fish mixture. parsley.tender. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Turn frequently to prevent bursting or burning. cubed 2tsp curry paste salt and pepper to taste 3 fresh scent peppers. BEEF -VEGETABLE CURRY SAUCE 15g or 3 tsp margarine 1 carrot. Set aside. Grill or bake at moderate heart till done (about 15 minutes). Serve as hors d’oeuvres. Stir well to get the beef and onion mixture to be evenly distributed. 4. Dot with Ketchup if desired. chopped 15g/1 tbsp flour/corn starch 450ml beef stock Cooked beef/ chicken. SAUSAGE ROUNDS 1 packet of beef sausages (10 pieces) Ketch-up Method Put sausage in a baking or grilling dish. the fish stock and pepper.Form or mold in to small fingers or small balls and fry in hot oil until golden brown. Add tomato puree. pealed and diced 1 small onion. cut each sausages into four or five rounds each. about 2 tbsp of the oil for frying and fry the beef until they arc browned on all sides. slightly beaten 4 tbsp fish stock or water 1 tablsp chopped onion ½ medium gated onion ltbsp chopped parsley 2 tbsp / ¼ of green pepper chopped 1 tbsp flour ½ tsp hot pepper and grated ginger ½ can tomato puree salt to taste Veg oil for frying Method 1. Insert tooth picks in each round and arrange them attractively in a patter. 2. 3. and salt. Serves 10-15. grated ginger. 4. cooked and flaked ½ tsp salt 150g cooked rice 2 tbsp fish stock or water 1 egg. sliced. Transfer these into another stock pot and add the remaining ingredients. . 5.End flaked end rice combined the egg chopped onion. 90g sliced green beans cooked 60g peas cooked oil for frying Method 1. 2.Serve over the fish fingers or balls as appetizer. mixing well. Heat. Remove the bay leaf and serve over noodles (indomie. wash well and cook in the margarine in heavy sauce pot till brown. Cut beef into 1 inch cubes. then turn down the heat very low and let the mixture simmer for about 1 hour or until meat is fork.31 2 large onions 2 tbsp margarine 1 bay leaf salt and pepper to taste 2 tbsp tomato paste 250m1 beef stock or water Method 1. When cooked. Set aside. 3. Bring to boil.
salt and oil. Stir in l tsp ketchup and mix well. Grill each side till golden brown. chopped 1 small onion. Cut chicken into serving sizes and place in a sauce pan. Combine all the ingredients.5kg broiler chicken 4 tomatoes. in a bowl. thinly sliced 6 tbsp vegetable oil 1 sweet red pepper. coat the cooled chicken pieces lightly. Flake excess flour off. Now add the fried beef.Mix flour with salt and pepper. wash and drain. basting frequently.Prepare the onions. SHRIMPS COCKTAIL Lettuce leaves (one per person) 1 cup dressed and cooked shrimps 4 tbsp chopped celery 2tbsp mayonnaise ½ tsp lemon juice 1 tsp ketchup pinch hot red pepper Method 1.Heat the oil in a large frying pan and when hot add the margarine. Add the seasonings. 5. Coo k until tomatoes are softened. Set aside. CURRIED PORK STEW 500g lean pork (in 2inch cubes) 4 large tomatoes. 5. curry pepper and I seasoning cube. Put the chicken pieces in a pot and pour the blended ingredients over the chicken. GRILLED CHICKEN/TURKEY 2 chicken/turkey breasts ½ tsp hot red pepper 3 tbsp vegetable oil 1 tsp grated garlic I tsp white pepper 1 tsp grated ginger 2 tsp chicken seasoning 1 tsp curry 1 small onion. Top each with ketchup as sauce. salt. thinly sliced 5 tbsp margarine 1 fresh scent pepper. 6. diced . Add the chicken pieces and fry over moderate heat till brown. 2. onion tomatoes and the other ingredients. finely chopped 1 tsp thyme I tsp grated garlic 100ml chicken or beef stock I tsp grated ginger salt to taste. Chop the shrimps into cubes. Sprinkle on the flour and cook till the margarine and onion are golden brown. 3. TOMATO AND PEPPER FRIED CHICKEN 1. seeded and diced 200g flour for dredging 1 green pepper. grated 1 large tomato Salt Method Cut chicken into 6 serving pieces. Serve over plain boiled rice or noodles. Set a side. peppers and curry leaf.32 2. Using the seasoned flour. Toss very well and steam for about 30 minutes or marinate for about 1 hour. Add the beef stock. Place chicken in a grill pan including the marinade and cook chicken for about 10 minutes on each side. Place tomato and remaining ingredients except oil and salt in a food processor and blend well. Cook slowly to soften. 4. Method 1.Remove chicken and sauce into a serving dish and sprinkle with chopped curry leaf to garnish as accomplishment to curried rice or potato chips. tomatoes. Set aside. 3. Push to one side of the pan. cook until thick. Remove from heat and leave to cool. 4. stirring constantly to prevent burning. 3. Garnish with onion rings and tomato wedges. Add salt and steam for 10 minutes. cooked peas and beans and cook the sauce for 2 minutes. except the lettuce leaves.Add the garlic. 2. Melt the margarine in a medium saucepan and add the onion and carrots. Garnish with chopped parsley. Make small nests of lettuce in cocktail glass or salad bowl and scoop the shrimp cocktail onto each.
Method 1. remove the bay leaf and add green pepper. Heat the margarine and pour into mixture. 4. 2. SHRIMP-SCRAMBLED EGG TOAST SANDWICH 150g cooked shrimps 2 tbsp chopped onion 6 tbsp chopped cucumber 4 tbsp mayonnaise 2 tomatoes sliced into 6 2 eggs (scrambled) Method 1.2tbsp vegetable oil 1 large onion (in 2 inch pieces) 1 large green pepper (in 2 inch cubes) 1 ½ tsp curry powder 1 ½ tsp grated ginger 1 bay leaf 33 3 tbsp tomato paste/puree 140m1 beef stock 1 tbsp vinegar salt and pepper to taste 1 seasoning cube 1 avocado pear. supper and deserts. 5. They are served in a variety of dishes that may be used for lunch. 2. 3. Mix well. Heat the oil in a frying pan and brown and pork in two batches.Combine the onion cucumber. 3.Remove from heat and serve with plain boiled rice and sweet corn. EGGS Eggs are used. Stirring in beef stock/water and vinegar and add bay leaf. SCRAMBLED EGGS 2 eggs 2 table sp milk/water 1 ½ tabsp margarine Pinch of salt METHOD 1. Cook for 1 minute longer. poached. Serve as the protein dish with buttered bread. covered. Remove and place a plate. Season to taste. Serve with cucumber salad in addition. Cook slowly for about 20-30 minutes. pepper and salt together. Serve as a breakfast dish. diced. 4. .Cover each sandwich and toast in the oven or a sandwich bread toaster.Spread between two slices of bread and top each with two tomato slices to obtain 4 sandwiches in all. 2. 3. using a wooden spoon. chopped shrimps/scrambled egg and mayonnaise in a bowled. To provide protein in meals To thicken sauces To garnish prepared foods To serve as raising agents for sponge cakes To glaze pastry Eggs can be fried. curry tomatoes and paste. Melt margarine in a small frying pan. Allow to set briefly and then/stir slowly with fork to let the egg turn into large pieces or lumps. prepared as omelettes and mainly served as breakfast and snack dishes.Cut pork into cubes. wash and leave to drain. scrambled.When meat is completely cooked. milk. Gently beat eggs. Remove to a plate. Chopped onion and green pepper can be added. Garnish with avocado dices tossed over the stew.Add more oil if necessary and onion.Bring the mixture to boil and add fried port. Cut into bread triangles for appetizers/snack or serve as sandwich for breakfast dish.
SCRAMBLED EGGS WITH FISH
1 tbsp melted margarine 1 cup flaked cooked fish (tuna or sardine) 6 eggs, beaten 1 tbsp water Salt and pepper to taste 1 ½ green pepper, (chopped) 1 small onion, chopped 2 tbsp margarine 6 slices bread (toasted) 6 grilled sausages
1.Heat margarine in a frying pan. Drain the fish, bread into small pieces and sauté in the margarine. Beat eggs very well, and add the onion and green pepper to the fish. 2.Add the 2 tbsp margarine and four beaten eggs over fish and stir slowly with wooden spoon or fork. When eggs are cooked, removed from heat. 3.Serve with buttered toasted bread with grilled sausage by scrambled eggs. FOLDED OMELETS 2 eggs Pinch of salt. 2 tbsp. Margarine/.veg. Oil
Method 1.Beat eggs and use a non-sticky fly pan or heat small margarine in frying pan. 2.Pour 1/3 of beaten eggs into center of frying pan and let spread to bottom of pan. Do not stir. 3.Let the underside get slightly brown then flip over for the other side to get brown. 4.Place flat on plate and fill with mixture of fried onion tomato and corned beef like pancakes. 5.Roll up the omelettes like crepes and garnish with tomato slice. 6.Serve with bread in a breakfast dish. Makes 3 omelette. Omelettes can be filled with jam or fried mixed vegetables. CORNED BEEF AND TOMATO OMELETTE 3 tbsp corned beef ½ green pepper, seeded and diced ½ a medium onion 2 fresh scent peppers, diced parsley to garish 3 tbsp margarine 1-2 tomato, seeded and diced 3 eggs, beaten Salt to taste Method 1. Portion the ingredients into three parts-one for each egg. Heat a medium/small frying pan and melt the margarine for portion. 2. Add a portion of the onion and green pepper and cook briefly to soften. 3. Mix the tomato and corned beef with one beaten egg, salt and scent pepper. 4. Pour into the pan with the onion and green pepper and stir gentle to mix all the ingredients. 5. Cook until the egg is set lightly brown use flat spoon to remove from heat. Repeat the same method of the remaining two eggs and other ingredients. 6. Garnish with parsley leaves or tomato wedges. FRIED EGGS 1 egg per person 2 tbsp margarine Method 1. Melt a little fat in a frying pan. 2. Break each washed egg directly into a saucer and slid into the slightly heated fat. This is carefully done for yoke to remain intact. 3. Season with salt or pepper sprinkle on the egg and cook gently without stirring until lightly set. Do not turn the egg. 4. Remove from -heat and serve half-cooked on a plate or flat dish. Garnish with fried tomato slices and serve as breakfast or topping on rice dishes.
BRAISED BEEF 400g steak beef I medium onion 2 tbsp parsley chopped ½ tsp salt ½ tsp pepper 1 seasoning cube 500ml water 3 tbsp vegetable oil ½ tsp thyme ½ tsp curry ½ tsp grated ginger
Method 1. Cut up the beef, wash properly and set aside. 2. Mix the beef, onion and the other ingredients in a bowl. 3. Heat oil in a sauce pot over medium heat. 4. Spread beef mixture all over the bottom of the pot. 5. 5 Cook until beef is brown. Turning frequently with wooden spatula for about 10-15 minutes. 6. Reduce heat, stir in the water Cover the pot and cook until beef is tender and water is almost absorbed. Serve with herb rice or oven jollof rice. CHICKEN AND RICE WITH CURRY SAUCE ½ Cut-up broiler chicken 100g flour 2 tbsp soy sauce/maggi/meat seasoning 1 cup cooked peas 2 tsp grated ginger 3 cups cooked rice ½ tsp pepper curry sauce 1 avocado pear (for garnishing) Method 1. Cut the boiler into serving pieces. Mix the meat seasoning or soy sauce, ginger and pepper into chicken. 2. Steam chicken for about 15 minutes, turning occasionally for seasoning to be absorbed. 3. Remove from heat, refrigerate to cook for about 1 hour, (marinating). 4. Heat the oil in a fry pan. Remove the chicken, reserving the marinade (extracts from the streamed chicken). Cook chicken in the hot oil till brown. 5. Mix the cooked rice, peas and the reserved marinade. Cover and cook for 5 minutes: Serve With curry sauce over chick en. Garnish rice with avocado pear slices. POACHED EGGS 4 fresh eggs 1 firm tomato ¼ tsp salt 1 tbsp white vinegar
Method 1. Boil water to a simmering temperature in a shallow frying pan. 2. Wash eggs very well and keep aside. 3. Add the white vinegar to the boiling to make the white more tender and prevent it from spreading when the egg is place in the simmering water. 4. Now carefully break the eggs one by one into a sauce and into the simmering water in separate position. 5. Simmer for approximately 2-3 minutes until lightly set. 6. Remove carefully from water using a perforated spoon sections for water to drain off. Sprinkle the salt on the poached eggs and garnish with tomato for water to drain off. Chapter Four CEREALS Cereals are basically important far their fibre, protein, B-vitamins, calories and iron content. They are a major source of protein in vegetarian diets. A significant component of cereal is starch. This accounts for the swelling that make place in cereal when these’ are cooked. Various types of cereals are available for use in meal preparation and they vary in their characteristics, taste, cooking times and yield. Maize, wheat oats and ride, are among the most commonly eaten cereals. Maize is world’s third most important cereal and popularly known as com. It is available in fresh or dried forms. It can be prepared as main dishes snacks or side dishes. Maize can be obtained in processed or ready to cook form. When using corn or maize, ensure that they are well shelled from the cob and that the kernels are bright
and plumpy Com starch is available for use to thicken sauces and breakfast meals. Rice is available in regular and parboil forms. It is basically carbohydrate but has little protein and contains some amount of thiamine and mineral. It is the worlds second most important grain. Rice, like other cereals, increase about three times in volume during cooking because it has the ability to absorb moisture. In cooking rice one measure of regular rice requires about two and half measures of liquid. The parboiled variety requires more while the pre cooked type requires less liquid. The long grains are less likely to sick together during cooking than the short. A small amount of oil ( ½ teasp oil to 3 cup of rice) added to the cooking water will prevent the rice from sticking, foaming and boiling over. Rice may be cooked in the oven or on surface cooker. Wheat is a major grain from which flour, breakfast cereals and pasta products are produced. Cereals and pasta products (Macaroni, spaghetti, and noodles) are processed and enriched and made ready-to- eat or partially cooked. MACARONI WITH CHILI 300g ground beef 1 large onion 1 large green pepper, chopped 4 fresh tomatoes chopped ½ can kidney beans 4 fresh chili pepper sliced 1 tsp grated garlic 2-3 stalks celery or leeks 2 seasoning cubes 1 small can tomato puree 1 pack uncooked elbow macaroni 2-4 tsp groundred pepper ¼ tsp paprika 1 tsp salt 6 tbsp vegetable oil 1 tsp grated ginger ½ tsp curry
Method 1. Cook macaroni, drain and set aside. Heat the oil in a sauce pan and stir beef and onion. Cook until beef and onion are brown. 2. Stir in tomatoes, beans and with the liquid and the remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling and reduce heat. 3. Stir in the cooked macaroni, cover the pot and simmer. Stir constantly till macaroni is tender about 5-10 minutes. Serve hot. FRIED RICE 2 cups uncooked long grain rice 2 cups chicken broth/stock 2 cups water. 4 tbsp. Marg./veg. Oil 2 tsp. salt 2 tsp. soy sauce 3 gloves garlic- minced 2 tsp. chopped ginger 3 large carrots-diced ½ can cooked peas 1 large onion, sliced or chopped 4 green pepper-chopped 1 tsp. curly 1 tsp. thyme 2 seasoning cubes 200g liver-cooked, diced and fried 2 stalks celery
Assorted vegetable-diced and parboiled carrots, sliced cabbage, chopped green beans, sliced green tomatoes, chopped red pepper. Shrimps cleaned and parboiled. Method 1. Put the washed rice into a saucepan. 2. Add chicken broth, minced garlic, ginger and seasoning cube and let it be cooked but not soft or sticky. 3. When cooked, remove from heat and set aside. In a large, frying pan, put margarine or oil and onion slices and green pepper. Cook these lightly. Add cabbage, cooked peas and carrots, celery and remaining salt. Stir fry for 5 minutes. 4. Add the diced and fried liver, shrimps and rice alternately. 5. Add the soy sauce a little at a time, stirring constantly. 6. Stir fry for 5-6 minutes till all soy sauce is well distributed. 7. Rice should have pleasing colour with assorted vegetables. Keep in warm oven uncovered if not served immediately. Serve with spiced or curried thicken. Makes 6 servings.
2.37 SPICY RICE PILAF 2 cups long grain rice (uncooked) 2 cups chicken/beef stock 2 cups water 4-5 tbsp. salt. Rice should be firm and non-sticky when cooked. 6. Chop the spring onion. peas and fresh curry leaf and pepper) and heat for 2 minutes. celery. Sort. Remove front heat immediately and pour the vegetables over the cooked rice. In a fry pan. Pour the water over the rice and season with white pepper. 4. sliced. 3. put oil or margarine and onion slices and fry lightly (5 minutes). peas and carrots. . Sort and wash rice. Serves 8-10. chilli pepper. Leave it to-drain and dry a little bit. This may be served immediately with grilled fish and white sauce. Crush the seasoning cubes and add to the rice. 3. CURRIED RICE 2 cups uncooked rice 5 cups water 2 tsp curry 1 small can peas/cut green beans 2 chicken seasoning cube 2 carrots shredded/diced 4 tbsp vegetable oil/margarine ½ tsp white pepper salt to taste 1 medium chopped onion 1 tsp chopped garlic 4 red chill peppers. Pour into a sauce pan or baking dish. 6. Stir in vegetables (leeks. Heat the 3 tbsp vegetable oil and stir-fry the onion slices celery. Wash rice and place in a sauce pot. Makes 8 servings. In a large frying pan. 5. 3. Season with curry salt and pepper and mix together. Slice the onion and cut green pepper in long strips. Stir into the cooked rice. 2. Serve warm with braised beef and suitable sauce. mushrooms and carrots. tomatoes and spring onion. curry and garlic. Fry the liver chunks lightly and set aside. green pepper. Add the rice and fry (3 minutes) with the onion until the raw rice is lightly golden brown in colour. salt to taste and cook on top of cooker or oven till rice is cooked. soy sauce. seasoning. Chop tomatoes into large cubes. Add the cooked rice. flake for 20 minutes and serve warm with curry sauce. Put the rice meal in a baking dish and the fried liver chunks on lop. heat the remaining oil and fry the onion. 2. 4. 4. Add the beef stock. green beans arid carrots lightly 5. Marg. Stir in one tbsp of the vegetable oil each for salt and proceed to cook for about 20 minutes. Oil 2 stalk sleeks / Ginger and garlic (I tsp each) 2 tbsp curry leaf ½ bay leaf I seasoning cube I large onion sliced I tsp curry ½ can peas 4 small fresh pepper Method 1. OVEN FRIED RICE 3 cups uncooked long grain rice 6 cups of chicken broth/water I large onion sliced 15 medium chunks for liver (cooked) 1 ½ tsp white pepper 2 large carrots 1 large green peppers 2 stems spring onion 1 stem celery 1 tsp soy sauce I tsp curry ¼ cap or lean peas 2 ripe but firm tomatoes salt to taste 3 tbsp soy or veg. Toss the rice and vegetable well and simmer for 3 minutes. 5. celery. Method 1. Oil oil for flying liver Method 1. wash and cook rice with the chicken broth or water for about 30 minutes./veg.
Toss the vegetables in the pan continuously. sliced METHOD 1. ORIENTAL NOODLES 225g noodles (spaghetti. Cover the pot and steam for about 2 minutes. 5. Stir well. stirfrying for about 5 minutes without browning. 5. Set aside. As the rice is getting tender without being soft. wash rice and set aside to drain. Heat a frying pan and add the vegetable. thinly sliced 4 carrots. Bring to boil and add the rice and the seasonings. Heat the oil or margarine in a saucepan raid add the washed rice. Cook the rice in the fat ova. 2. pepper and onion rings. Wash rice and let it drain of 2. 4. Cook the noodles in boiling salted water for about 4-5 minutes. 7. Toss in 1 tbsp of the oil to prevent sticking. Add the beef stock or brown seasoning cube. Mix well and add margarine when almost cooked. diagonally sliced 4 tbsp soy sauce 2tsp curry 225g sliced cabbage sliced salt to taste 2 stalks leeks/celery flesh prawns (optional) 1 onion. Stir in sliced tomatoes. Leave to drain dry. Remove from heat an serve hot garnished with tomato wedges or egg slices. . Drain well and rinse under hot water to remove starch. Boil water and place the vegetable in the salted water. remaining spices and the chopped veg and peas 7. salt and white pepper. curry.38 BRAISED RICE 3 cups uncooked rice 6 cups chicken stock or beef 1 large onion-chopped 1 green pepper-seeded and chopped 2 tsp white pepper Salt to taste 2 stalks leeks 100g cooked kidney beans 1 seasoning cube 3 carrots-diced or grated 2 tsp grated ginger 2 tsp grated garlic 1 tsp curry 1 can green peas 6 tbsp vegetable oil or margarine Method 1. JOLLOF RICE 3 cups uncooked rice 4 large fresh tomatoes 3 medium fresh hot peppers ½ tsp top ginger ½ tsp chopped garlic ½ tsp thyme 1 large onion 3 tbsp margarine 150ml vegetable oil 6 cups beef broth/water 2 seasoning cubes ½ tsp curry salt to taste Method 1. Slice the onion and chop the remaining tomato and pepper. 6. 5. Pour in the beef/broth water. 4. Moi-rnoi and fried ripe plantain chips can he used as side dishes as well. Toss in the cooked noodles and heat through. stir in any 6. 4. macaroni noodles etc) 5 tbsp vegetable oil 2 garlic clove (grated) 4 green peppers. Combine the soy sauce. cover the pan and cook gently for about 25-30 minutes on surface cooker or oven without stirring. curry and salt and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook till sauce is almost dehydrated. Steam for 10 minutes. peeled and sliced 4 red chiIli pepper. 2. Serves 8-10. Heat the vegetable oil in a sauceboat and fry part of the slice onion and ground ingredients lightly. 6. Blanch for 2 minutes and drain from the hot water. Serve with fried fish or beef and steamed leafy vegetable as a side dish. 3. Steam for about 20 minutes till liquid is almost absorbed. Serve immediately with grilled beef. Sort. 3. 3. Reserve one tomato and one pepper and grind the remaining ones.medium heat.
leeks. Cover the pan and cook gently for about 25 minutes without stirring. 2. SPANISH (OVEN JOLLOF) RICE 3 cups uncooked regular rice 1 medium onion (sliced) 6 cups water 3 cubes chicken seasoning cube I tsp curry powder ½ tsp ground ginger 1 tin tomato paste 1 green pepper chopped 1 tsp salt 1 tsp ground nutmeg 3 tbsp vegetable oil 1 tbsp margarine 4 fresh tomatoes 4 fresh red/chilli peppers 2 stalk celery chopped Method 1. 3. Stir in water. When melted. until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed (add small amount of water if necessary to make rice well cooked. chicken cube. Place vegetable oil in a saucepan and fry the onion. green spring onion. margarine and seasonings (ginger. Cover and leave to steam about 3 minutes and serve garnished with eggs and braised beef or grilled fish. ground fresh tomato and pepper to make a sauce. When the rice is light brown. Stir in the rice and heat to boiling. until the rice is getting tender. 6. seasoning cube. chicken stock. curry leaf. 3. 4. Add finely chopped herbs (parsley onion. Stir in the green and red pepper. Wash rice in cook water and leave to drain. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently. Pour into a baking dish. cover and cook in the oven. Cook and stir the beef in the vegetable oil until golden brown. Heat the foil in saucepan and add the margarine. 4. celery and cook covered for 5 minutes. 2. salt and pinch white pepper. 7. 6. 4. 2. margarine and onion into the remaining oil over medium heat until rice is lightly brown. 5. bay leaf. Serve garnished with green and sweet red pepper. then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. add the washed rice over medium heat. Now add the water. salt. add the water. nutmeg etc).39 HERB RICE PILAF 3 cups long grain rice 1 tsp grated garlic 6 cups boiling water 1 tsp grated ginger Pinch salt/or to taste ½ tsp curry Chopped fresh herbs (parsley. Remove from heat and set aside. 5. Stir in the rice. curry. fried beef carrots. Heat to boiling. 3. stirring constantly. . Stirring gently. 5. Wash rice and set aside. and green chili pepper. soy sauce and salt to taste. spring onion etc) I tsp dried and crushed bay leaf 2 stalks of leeks 1 cup beef or chicken stock 2 stalks celery 2 Chicken seasoned cubes 2 tbsp margarine 4 medium green chilli pepper sliced 1 large spring onion 4 tbsp vegetable oil Method 1. till rice is getting tender. CURRIED BEEF AND RICE CASSEROLE 3 cups uncooked long grain rice 1 medium onion 1 instant chicken seasoning cube 3 tbsp vegetable oil 2 medium stalks celery (diagonally sliced) 1 tbsp margarine (chopped) 2 tbsp soy sauce 2 cups cut-up cooked beef (l inch pieces) 6 cup boiling water 1 medium green pepper 2 carrots (diced) salt to taste l00g cooked peas 1 medium sweet red pepper Method 1.
Mix well and continue cooking for about 45 minutes or until rice is soft and uniformly moistened 6. 3. Discard the chaff and pour the coconut milk into a pot. 2. Fry until slightly brown. Serves 10. Blend well for mixture to mix well. Season with about 1 teaspoon salt and add the dry or chopped fresh pepper.40 6. COCONUT RICE 1 ½ large coconut flesh 3 cups short grain rice (uncooked) 8 cups of water 3 large fresh red peppers (chopped) 1 tin sardine/fried fish 1 seasoning cube salt to taste 10 large prawns-fried Method 1. Makes 10 Servings. Stir in the chopped fresh pepper. broth of the shrimps and arrange the shrimps over the thick top of the rice. 5. 7. chop the fresh pepper and onion and clean the shrimps. Wash rice in hot water to remove some starch. Meanwhile. wash the rice. Continue stirring for the corn to he properly popped and cooked. FRIED CORN CAKES 2 cups dry corn 200m1 water ½ tsp. Cook the palm fruits until they are soft. Put in a bowl and add all the water. 4. Method 1. Heat oil. 4. Using a fine sieve. Put oil in a pot and place the corn in the pot 2. Remove from oil. 3. Wash and grate coconut into fine flakes. sugar. Ground corn into fine crumbs. . 4. green pepper and celery. drain and serve with coconut as snack. Blend in the palm oil. stirring until the corn starts cracking and bring about the white fluffy part. seasoning cube and Onion. Simmer for 10 minutes and serve hot. salt and water in a boil. filter and squeeze out all the liquid from the grated coconut mixture. Roil the shrimps in a little bit of water. sprinkle immediately with sugar or salt and leave to cool. Heat the milk and bring to boil. Top with sardines or fried fish/liver/prawns and garnish with tomato slices. 3. 5. Add rice to the boiling liquid. Stir in the peas. Remove from heat and serve hot. Wash rice and add to the boiling milk. Put into a pot and heat to boiling. Place corn pepper. Stir uniformly into the rice. Cover pot and cook for about 45 minutes or until rice is soft and moist. 6. Pound in a mortar and use the water to get juice from the fruits. Serve hot on a flat dish. 2. Season with salt and seasoning cube. POPPING CORN 6 tbsp popcorn Salt 3 tsp vegetable oil Sugar (optional) Method 1. mold mixture into small balls and drop into hot oil. Remove from heat. 3. Cook over a medium heat. 2. PALM JUICE (BANGA) RICE 800g or ¼ basket palm fruits 3 cups of short grain rice 10 cups water 1 seasoning cube 15 large fresh shrimps/prawns 1 ½ ground pepper/2 fresh pepper salt to taste 1 medium onion Method 1. 4. ground pepper pinch salt 1 tbsp sugar 4 tbsp palm oil Vegetable oil for frying Method 1.
Note: Prepare corn foo-foo. Mix part of the water and 250g of the plantain flour to form a paste in a bowl. 2. 4. Continue to stir vigorously until the foo-foo is thick and begins to leave the sides of the pot. agbono or mixed vegetable soup. Wash and clean liver. Season to taste of necessary and heat through for about 3 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons palm oil and mix well until the oil binds the corn mixture. leeks and green pepper 5. 2. Remove any fat from liver and chop or grate into small bits. 4. Drain and serve with coconut as snacks. Serve hot with spicy fried chicken and cucumber salad as a main dish. Cook rice with stock and salt to taste. 4. 6. Sprinkle a little water over the foo-foo and cover the pot for 2 minutes to allow the foo-foo to be thoroughly cooked. Stir in the cooked rice. Boil the 6 cups of water. Cover pot and boil until cooked hut grain are separate. Meanwhile. 6. 5. Stir in the remaining plantain flour a little at a time for the foo-foo to be evenly mixed. Stir very well to avoid lumping in the foo-foo. add the grated liver. added salt and sprinkle the clean rice in the boiling water. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. fluffing up to loosen the rice grains. 3. margarine and chopped parsley. Serve onto a flat dish and top with curried pork stew or tomato and pepper fried chicken sauce. 3. Cook and leave to cool. DOUGHNUT AND SANDWICHES . Keep stirring for 2 minutes. Stir the corn well and drop mixture in small spoonfuls into the deep hot fat fry till golden brown. LIVER RICE PILAF 3 cups uncooked rice 6 cups (1 ½ litre) beef stock 6 tbsp vegetable oil Salt and white pepper 1 seasoning cube 1 kg beef/chicken liver 1 stalk leeks 1 stalk celery 1 green pepper 2 medium onions 2tbsp grated garlic METHOD 1. 5. Heat vegetable oil to faint smoking point. stirring gently. Chop the peppers and onion and set aside. Use a wooden spoon to stir in the plantain flour mixture into remaining boiling. FRESH CORN FRITTERS 3 fresh corn cobs 1 onion Vegetable oil for deep frying salt to taste 2 fresh peppers 2 tbsp palm oil Method 1. 3. 3. Shell the corn and wash well. Stir in the cooked sweet corn. Remove rice from heat if tender but not soft. PLANTAIN FLOUR FOO-FOO (AMALA) 500g plantain flour 750rnl water Method 1. celery. seasonings and chopped vegetables. Combine all the ingredients except palm oil in a mortar or place in a blender and grind coarsely. clop onions. Cook over medium heat for 5minutcs. Chapter Five BREAD. 2. Noted: 1 tablespoon sugar may be added to sweeten the fritters. 7. rice and yam flour foo-foo as in plantain.41 2. Serve warm with ewedu. Stir very well all over and turn into a dish. melon-vegetable. 4. Heat the water to boiling in a pot.
If liquid milk is to be used. Dissolve yeast. They are made from flour. Knead the dough. fat. remove from pan unto wire racks to cool. Therefore some quantity of granulated sugar should be added to yeast when dissolving yeast. fat and dissolved yeast. while low temperature retards the fermentation process. Let rise till dough is well risen above the pan edges (double or three time size). More yeast is often used but they require the same fermentation or proofing process. Gradually add the flour to make a stiff dough. Makes 4 loaves. Cover and put in a warm place for hour. Dry milk is more often used. add half of the sugar and cover for about 10 minutes till the yeast is dissolved and starts rising in bubbles. The dough should be allowed to proof for at least 1 hour or until the until dough is double or triple its original size. 5. it should be sealed first to prevent the enzymes in it from reducing the fermentation process. eggs and milk than the plain bread. Allow to m for 10 minutes. sugar and salt in warm water. part of the flour. Bake in pre-heated oven for 40 minutes. WHOLE WHEAT BREAD 500grams whole wheat flour 2 ½ tsp yeast 1 tbsp sugar 2 tbsp (30 grams) margarine ½ tsp salt 250m1 warm water . Doughnuts and rolls should have good shape and colour and the texture must be smooth and light. 4. When dissolving yeast ensure that lukewarm water is used. Cover with a slightly wet towel in a warm place. Yeast is the raising agent and it grows best in lukewarm water. Then the mixture is combined with the remainder of the ingredients and second fermentation is allowed. roast bread should be soft. Soften the yeast in lukewarm water. Stir or knead every fifteen minutes. 3. The dough can be baked or fried. Yeast bread may be mixed in one of the basic ways: The straight dough method entails all the ingredients are mixed at one time and the sponge method consists of two mixing and two fermentation processes. Bake until golden brown. Reserve 2 tbsp flour for kneading. PLAIN BREAD 500g flour 2 ½ tsp thy yeast 250ml lukewarm water 60g (4 tablespoon) margarine/Oil 100g (5-6 tbsp) sugar ½tsp salt METHOD 1. yeast. Weigh and measure all the ingredients set aside. 4. 2. sugar and fat are mixed and allowed to ferment.42 Bread are loaves made of soft doughy that are leavened with yeast. With the sponge method. Fat is used to soften and lubricate the dough. 3. Sugar is used to sweeten bread and to aid the process of fermentation. Proof for another 15 minutes. Shape into loaves and place in well greased pans. Kneading is important for the yeast to be distributed and allow the development of carbon dioxide for adequate fermentation. Bread loaves are baked in high temperature (about -4500 degrees) and may be painted or glazed with egg wash or milk immediately before baking. milk and flour in a bowl. After 1 hour shape into a round loaf and place in well greased pans. Method 1. sugar and fat. A variety of fillings can be used. Salt can be added to yeast bread to contribute to flavour and aid elasticity and firming of the dough. moist and tender in texture. the yeast will be destroyed. blend remaining sugar. Doughnuts and bread rolls are sweet doughs that contain yeast and are richer in sugar. 2. Bread is completely baked when it has gain the light brown colour and has shrunk from the side of the pan. Milk is used in some bread mixture in lace of water to increase the nutritive value. 7. Knead again on floured board until smooth and elastic. Nutmeg and other flavoring can be added to bread to improve flavor. If the temperature of the water is too high. When baked. salt. yeast. water or other moisture. aid fermentation and contribute to the colour. 6. 5. Add dissolved yeast to flour and mix the mixture to a soft dough. Knead lightly and keep covered for 10-15 minutes. Combine margarine. In a large bowl.
LEMON BREAD (COFFEE/TEA CAKE) 3 tbsp margarine 1 tsp baking powder ½ tsp salt 125m1 milk 50gs sugar 1 ½ tsp lemon juice 2 eggs grated rind of 1 lemon 300gs flour ½ tsp nutmeg YEAST DOUGH CAKE 450gs flour 1 tbsp grated lemon and l00gs margarine orange rind l00gs sugar ½ tsp grated nutmeg 2 eggs pinch of salt 2 tsp dry yeast 75-80m1 warm milk 50gs currants. Combine salt. Place in a greased bowl and grease top of dough. 3. 7. 5. Mix sugar. Knead again slightly on a floured board and place in a greased bread loaf pan with cover or shape into balls in any baking pan. 4. Mix the flour and the rest ingredients. Cover and let rise for about 20 minutes. Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon to obtain a soft dough. Mix and knead thoroughly till smooth and non-sticky to the hands 6. Method 1. Leave to proof in a warm place for another 20-30 minutes. 5. 4. Cover and let it rise for about 5 minutes. BREAD ROLLS (DINNER ROLLS) 700gs flour 3 ½ tsp dry yeast 1½ tspsalt 50-l00gs sugar 2 beaten eggs 200gs margarine 300m1 warm water or milk ½ tsp nutmeg Method 1. Add yeast (now in bubbles ) and beaten eggs to the mixture. Brush top lightly with egg wash and bake at 3000 or gas mark 3. 6. Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl and rub in the fat. 8.43 Method 1. salt. nutmeg currants and milk together. Note: Whole wheat bread is usually heavy. 2. 3. Place each in well greased queen’s cake pans. 8. Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. Add the dissolved yeast and I mix in the beaten egg. 4. Mix well without kneading. Grease a medium-sized cake pan and fill the dough into the pan. Makes 15 rolls. Gradually stir in the yeast mixture into the whole meal and fat mixture. 6. YEAST DOUGHNUT 300 grams flour 4-6 tbsp sugar . Pre-heat oven and bake for 30-40 minutes after reducing the heat. Bake in a moderately pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes. Cover and proof it a warm place until double in size. 5. Add flour. fat and whole meal flour in a bowl and set aside. Dissolve the yeast and sugar with the warm milk. Shape into balls. A mixed whole meal bread can be made to be lighter by using half plain flour and half whole wheat flour. Place the bowl of dough in a warm place to rise for about 30 minutes. 2. Turn out on lightly floured surface knead and shape dough into inches wide squares of about 2 inch thickness. Process whole wheat grains into flour or purchase whole w heat flour.for 15-20 minutes. Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water. soften than that of plain bread. Cover and let rise (5minutes) 3. reserving 4 tbsp. Place a warm place to rise till double in size (5045 minutes). 7. 2. punch down.
sugar. 2. Leave in a warm place to prove until they are well risen (double in size) 6. Turn dough into a flavored board and knead briefly. BAKING POWDER DOUGHNUT 1egg 50 grams granulated sugar 75 grams melted margarine 2 ½ tsp baking powder 300 grams sifted flour 1 tsp vanilla 75ml milk/water ½ tsp salt 50g sifted flour (for rolling) 1 ½ tbsp powdered milk Method 1. Sift the &y ingredients together and add to egg mixture. ensuring that the heat is not too high or too low. In a bowl mix margarine and the remaining warm water. Dissolve the yeast in half of the warm water. Divide the dough into round doughnut shapes without hole al the centre. Roll doughnuts in a tray containing sugar. Place them on a well-floured tray. 5. Add one tbsp sugar to facilitate fermentation of the yeast. Ad vanilla and mix well. Heat the vegetable oil in a deep frying pot to a moderate temperature. Add beaten eggs. cover and allow to prove until double in size. Let dough rise for another 40 minutes or till double in size. Mold back each carefully to seal the hole. 2. add sugar and mix thoroughly. Knead lightly. 3. Take the basic doughnut recipe. 4. 8. Place in a warm place to rise till double in size. Roll the cooked doughnut on granulated or icing sugar. strawberry etc) vegetable oil for deep frying Method 1. 5. 3. Drain off an roll them in sugar if desired. prepare the dough according to the instructions for preparation. 1 . 9. . JAM FILLED DOUGHNUTS Basic doughnut recipe fruit jam (pineapple. 7. . Ferment yeast in half of the warm water. 2. roll ot dough to Y2 inch thickness and cut out round shapes.. about 1 tsp in each hole. Deep fry the doughnuts till golden brown and drain off fat. 3. Combine milk and flour. Cut with doughnut cutter that has a hole at the centre and place in a greased tray to proof. (See pp). Slightly beat eggs in mixing bowl. Place them on a greased tray and cover with thin polythene. Add milk and mux. 3. Beat dough with the hand and knead thoroughly till dough is smooth and moderately soft. Then place dough in heated deep oil and fry until golden brown. 4. Gather mixture lightly and set aside for 1 0 minutes. 6.44 1 ½ tsp dry yeast 3 tbsp margarine 1 egg 3-4 tbsp dry milk 85m1 warm water ½ tsp nutmeg vegetable oil for deep frying Method 1. Serve as snack or tea dainty. Tack each firmly with lightly wet fingers. Roll out to floured board 1 or inch thickness. 2. to the mixture add to mixture. 4. salt and nutmeg into a bowl and rub in the margarine. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the fermented yeast and remaining warm water. Add the melted margarine. 4. Press a floured thumb into each doughnut and add a little jam. Sieve the flour. Add the dissolved yeast and gradually mix in flour into a smooth dough. 1-leat vegetable oil to faint smoking and fry doughnuts a few at a time until that are golden brown and ate well cooked. salt and nutmeg. 5. Using a round cutter. ECONOMY YEAST DOUGHNUT 500g flour 2 ½ tsp dry yeast 50g margarine 250m1 warm water 1 tsp salt 1 tsp nutmeg 100g sugar oil for deep frying Method 1.
b) The filling can be made from meat. Day old bread is usually preferable. corned beef. Knead to elastic-like texture. jam. 3. Vegetables like lettuce tomato and onion slices may be added. jams and other spreads. 3. CROISSANTS 500g flour 2 ½ tsp yeast 2 tbsp sugar 2 small eggs 1-2 sachet powdered milk 100ml warm water 100g soft margarine Method 1.45 5. Roll out on floured board to inch thickness and cut with doughnut cutter. c) Method of preparation: 13e careful in handling the items by maintaining proper sanitation. Fry in hot deep fat until golden brown on both sides. Add some currants/fruits if available before folding into crescent shapes. Corned beef or chopped egg can be used as alternative. d) A garnish should be added to a sandwich when it is ready to be served. boiled or fried egg. sardines. 6. the bread cam be sliced before or cut after filling if necessary. Sandwiches may be served hot or cold. They may be filled or spread with a variety of items such as meat. salad and various types of food. When sandwich is planned for lunch. 4. There are four basic considerations in making sandwiches: a) The Bread: This is the most important item used and can be from any type of bread. 5. Cut into 4-6 inches of the base of the triangle to form a crescent. ensure that proper temperature is maintained in order to protect the food from becoming contaminated. Spread on crackers or toasted bread triangles. with or without sauce such as (salad cream. In using fillings. Keep them covered and use as tea sandwich. especially when some items have to be chopped or mixed up. Rub in the margarine. Combine sardine and blend with remaining ingredients to desired consistency. fish. SARDINE CANAPE 1 can of sardine 1 ½ tsp grated onion 10 slices of buttered bread triangles 90 grams or 6 tbsp margarine pinch ground ginger Method 1. Makes 20 doughnuts. Mix thoroughly into a soft. Drain off fat and roll in granulated sugar or top with favorite icing. it should be attractively arranged. 2. SANDWICHES Sandwiches are meals that arc made of regular or special bread. ketchup or mustard cream). Also do not use filling that can soak the bread. BEEF BURGER 400 grams minced beef 4 large firm tomatoes (sliced) ½ medium chopped onion 2 tsp salt Pinch curry and thyme (optional) 1 tsp melted margarine 8 dinner rolls (small round bread) mayonnaise 2 eggs 4 tbsp bread crumbs . 6. 4. Add the dissolved yeast. Handle gently. 8. 7. Mix all the siffed dry ingredients together in a small bowl. Party or tea sandwiches should be in small triangular sizes. closed or multi-layered. smooth and pliable dough. egg and almost the remaining water or as needed to obtain correct consistency of dough. Dissolve yeast in half of the warm water. roll out into ¼ inch thickness. 2. Drain and mash sardines. Place in a greased pan proof till double in size and brush with egg wash before placing in preheated oven to bake for 20-30 minutes. Avoid making very large sizes. When dough is ready for proofing.
even in colour and firm. Chapter Six CAKES. Examples are queen cakes. 2. sticky or crumbly. adequate size of pan and baking temperature. Spread the fish mixture over one of the buttered surfaces and top with two slices of tomato. In order to produce good quality cakes. without cracks or large holes: The centre should not fall in but the cakes should shrink lightly from . The creaming method usually produces better quality. eggs and raising agent. milk and vanilla are gradually poured into the creamed mixture. Beaten eggs. A good quality cake must be light. Put in the oven to bake for 10. Cooked on both sides. sugar. the equipment available. 6. 3.15 minutes. but egg yolk and fat are not included.46 Method 1. Split the oblong rolls in half and spread margarine on the sliced surfaces. it is essential recipes and use proper ingredients appropriate method of mixing. top with tomato slice and cover the sliced tomato with the other vegetables and the top layer of the bread. In a separate bowl. sides of pan when baked. Queen cake and ginger bread can be made in this way. The cake must be baked in a well greased pan for easy removal when baked. Conventional sponge method in which the fat and half the sugar being creamed first. All other ingredients which includes eggs and milk are added and beaten thoroughly till beaten thoroughly ill smooth. The creaming method involves the creaming of fat and sugar with electric mixer or wooden spoon till the mixture is light and fluffy. All ingredients must be at room temperature when mixing cakes. Brush the meat patties with melted margarine and grill over direct heat or barbecue for 10. BAKED FISH SANDWICH (Oblong Rolls) 300 grams cooked fish ¼ green pepper chopped ½ onion. spread ½ teaspoon mayonnaise on the meat. Remove from heat and slice the rolls into two. Don’t over mix the mixture after flour has been added or else the batter will be rubbery. The quality of cakes is very important. BATTERS AND PASTRIES cakes are batter products of flour mixtures that contain fat. This mixture is gradually poured into the flour ingredient and all are beaten together with electric mixer or manually with wooden spoon till the mixture is smooth. Examples are shortened cake. consider the quality and type of cake as indicated by the recipe. the cake will be hard when baked. Mix well and shape the beef mixture into patties (round shape of same diameters as the bread ½ inch thickness) 3. The mixture is well beaten till light and foamy after which the dry ingredients (flour.15minutes. Pure sponge cake uses only egg whites. marble cake and coffee cake. sugar and flour in addition to flavorings. The flour mixture and milk are added to the cream mixture and set aside. baking powder and salt) are folded into the creamed mixture. large cakes must be level at the top. Onion slices and lettuce loaf can be added to improve eating and nutrient quality. Combine all ingredients except mayonnaise and the bread. The eggs are separated and only yolks are beaten into fat mixture. Regular bread slices can also be used. the melted margarine. Also. type offat and amount of time available. 4. cakes. In choosing mixing method. It must not be heavy. 4. The egg whites are the whisked to become stiff and foamy and the flour mixture is folded into the stiff egg white. chopped ½ tsp pepper Salt to taste 3 tbsp mayonnaise 6-8 rolls (small oblong bread) margarine Method 1. Toss well. Combine all ingredients except bread in a bowl. Small cakes like queen cake . Club sandwiches are made by slicing the rolls into three portions having two layers of filling. 2. 5. Fill the bread with the grilled meat. An examples of this type is chiffon or feather cake. 2. The muffin method involves all the dry ingredients being sifted together and the margarine is melted. beaten eggs and milk are beaten together to blend thoroughly. There are four basic method of mixing cakes 1. fruit upside down or carrot cake.. Pastry-blend or rubbing in method involves blending of fat and flour together. The pan must not be filled more than half for two-thirds with the batter. In addition.
2. Fold in well 5. QUEEN CAKES (RUBBING .IN. 8. Now add a half of the milk and a second of the flour. sieve two times.47 should have good shapes and rounded but slightly peaked tops. 4. lime/lemon rind 150 grams sugar ¼ tsp. Top with currants if desired and hake in moderately heated oven for 20-30 minutes. Add the lemon juice and the milk gradually as the constituency becomes stiff. Finally fold in the last portion of the flour mixture and remaining milk. 5. When baked remove from heat and place on cooling racks. 3. Stir in lemon rind and mix well. Spoon mixtures into well greased queen cake pans or paper cups. 3. Nutmeg (grated) 3 tsp baking powder 4 egg. sugar and vanilla together with electric mixer or wooden spatula. 6. it means the cake is baked. Note: 1 ½ tsp vanilla. 4. Make 12 small cakes. Rub in the fat and sugar into the sifted flour ingredients with finger tips until the mixture looks like bread crumbs. 2 tbsp desiccated coconut or currants can be added when mixing. Add ½ of the flour into the eggs mixture and fold and in the flour mixture. 2. Sponge cakes must be light with firm spongy texture that springs back when pressure is applied. MARBLE CAKE 400 grams sifted flour 4 tsp baking powder 200 grams margarine 200 grams sugar Drops pink colouring 1 ½ tsp vanilla ½ tsp nutmeg 7-8 eggs 100ml-l50ml milk 1 tsp chocolate/cocoa powder or 2 tbsp browning Method 1. Always use a skewer or knife to check if cake is well baked by piercing the knife through the cake. Add the washed eggs. until well mixed Add baking powder and nutmeg into flour. QUEEN CAKES (CREAMING METHOD) 300 grams sifted flour 80ml milk 1 50 grams margarine 1tsp. 2. one at a time. Add vanilla and cream well. Beat egg and stir into the flour ingredients. salt and nutmeg into a bowl. well beaten 1 tsp vanilla 1 tbsp lemon/lime juice Method 1.METHOD) 250 grams flour 75ml diluted milk 100g sugar 2 ½ tsp baking powder 3 eggs ¼ tsp salt 125 grams margarine/oil ½ tsp nutmeg 1 tsp lemon juice 1 ½ tsp lemon rind Method 1. beaten well in each addition. Grease cup cake pans and fill the pans. 7. salt and nutmeg. Cream margarine. Sieve ‘flour with baking powder. Having all ingredients at room temperature. baking powder. alternating them. Sprinkle lemon rind over remaining flour. Cream margarine and sugar thoroughly until fluffy: 3. Note: currants can be added to the flour before folding in or top of the queen cake as decoration before baking. Cream well until the mixture is light and fluffy to a dropping consistency. Sift the flour. and beat with wooden spoon. When the knife comes out clean. Bake in pre-heated oven of 325 (gas mark 2) for about 20 minutes. Gradually pour beaten eggs into the creamed mixture. .
6. FEATHER CAKE 250 grams sifted flour ½ tsp salt 120 grams sugar 4 egg whites 3 tsp baking flour 125 grams margarine 1 tsp vanilla 100ml milk 2 ½ tsp cream of tartar Method 1. Bake in 350°f in a pre-heated oven for 45 minutes. Spread the brown mixture at the bottom of the pan. 6. Cream sugar. 6. Sift flour. custard powder and nutmeg. baking powder cream of tartar and salt three times. Baking powder l tsp baking soda 120m1 diluted milk . salt.48 4. COCONUT/CARROT AND RAISIN CAKE 3 beaten eggs 1 ½ tsp all spice 175 grams sugar 300 grams grated carrots 100 grams raisin/currants 200ml vegetable/soft margarine 360 grams flour l tsp salt 2 tsp vanilla 3 tsp baking powder 150 grams toasted coconut Method 1. 5. Put water in a small pot to boil. vanilla and currants alternately. 7. Using an electric mixer or whisk. 3. VANILLA SAUCE 250rnl boiling water 60 grams sugar 2 tbsp corn starch powder 2 tbsp margarine ½ tsp nutmeg 1 tsp vanilla Method 1. 2. Mix well and share batter into three equal separate portions in 3 bowls 5. 4. Stir in flour mixture. 3. Batter may also be scooped in spoonful while alternating the colours till all the batter is put into the pan. Serve 10. grated carrot and toasted coconut. baking powder and all spice together. Grease a medium square or round pan and lightly sprinkle flour over the grease pan. Fold in the sifted dry ingredients alternately with milk. Pour into a well greased square or round pan. alternating with milk. Serves 12. beat well after each addition of egg white. sugar and vegetable oil. Cream margarine and sugar thoroughly. When baked. Pour the cream coloured hatter that on the pink layer and spread the batter from the centre to sides of the pan. Slowly add vanilla and egg whites. Sift flour. Mix the batter thoroughly. Add dry ingredients. 3. brown and pink) in 3 bowls. Bake in pre-heated oven for 40 minutes. BANANA COCONUT CAKE 100grams dedicated coconut 200grams flour sifted 100grams margarine 100grams sugar 2 large bananas. Sift cocoa powder into one portion and the pink colouring in another portion. 4. Add vanilla mix well and serve as a warm sauce over cakes and puddings. Blend in colours very well without over mixing batters. Using a whisk or mixer. Pour into a greased square pan and bake in pre-heated oven for 55 minutes. margarine. Top the brown with the pink as second layer. peeled and mashed 2 large eggs 1 teasp. blend eggs. The batter is now in three colours (cream. 2. one at a time. Stir the mixture into the boiling water. invert on a cooling rack can iced or served with vanilla sauce. 2.
and leave to cool slightly. Beat eggs and add to margarine and sugar mixture. Place margarine and sugar in a mixing bowl and cream until smooth and fluffy. RICH CHOCOLATE FRUIT CAKE 10 eggs 1 tsp vanilla 500 grams sifted flour 2 tbsp brandy flavoring/150ml brandy 2 ½ tsp baking powder 150 grams mixed fruits 300 grams soft margarine 300 grams brown sugar 90 grams (6 tbsp browning/caramel) 1 tsp all spice 1 tsp vanilla 150 grams raisin/currants 1 tsp lemon juice 1 tsp strawberry flavoring 1 ½ tsp rind of one lemon 1 tsp almond flavor Method 1. Place cake batter in a greased square pan and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. 3. baking powder and soda.49 For the topping 25g (2 ½ tbsp) margarine 2 tbsp honey 120g shredded fresh coconut. Sieve out fruits and toss in little flour. 4. Note: Caramels. Fold in the flour mixture into the margarine-sugar mixture. Prepare desiccate coconut by toasting freshly grated coconut in the oven or over grill for 5 minutes. Bake at medium heat until cake is cooked (45-50minutes). 5. Sift together the flour. 5. Bake in per-heated oven of 3500f (gas mark 2) for 50minutes or until baked. Preheat the oven 4. Pour into a greased brunet pan or hollow pan. 2. place margarine. nutmeg. Add the flavorings. Method 1. made by heating 50 grams granulated sugar till it is brown (dark brown) and then 100ml boiled water is gradually stirred into it to lighten the thickness. then stir in the toasted coconut. lemon rinds and remaining brandy. 7. Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and the mixture i s well beaten with electric or wooden spoon until smooth and creamy. 4. Cream margarine. Sift together the flour. Gradually fold in the flour mixture and floured mixed fruits. Mix thoroughly until foamy. To make the topping. 3. Mix the remaining milk and mashed banana in a bowl and gradually combine the banana mixture with the flour mixture. SOYA BEAN AND WHEAT FLOUR BREAD 300grams white flour 300grams soya bean flour 400m1 warm water or milk ltbsp margarine . Remove from heat. using half of the milk. Add caramel or browning to sugar mixture. 6. This can be used in place of browning. Place on a wire rack to cool completely when fully baked. Pour batter into well greased and floured pan. Spoon topping over the whole top of the cake. 2. GINGER BREAD 200 grams flour 60 grams (4 tbsp) margarine 1 ½ tsp ground ginger ¼ tsp salt ½ tsp cinnamon (opt. Melt the margarine and ensure that all the ingredients are held at room temperature. honey and grated coconut in a sauce pan and cook for about 5 minutes.) ¼ tsp all spice 200ml prepared caramel 1 ½ tsp baking soda 180m1 evaporated milk left added for 10 minutes with 10ml lemon juice Method 1. Beak in the eggs one at a time. 2. sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. allspice and baking powder. Soak fruits in brandy. 3.
2. 2. Shape into loafs and place in a warm place to rise until double in size. 5. Add one egg at a time and beat thoroughly. Generously grease a medium square pan and fill the bottom of the pan with pineapple chunks. Reduce heat to 350°f and bake for 4Ominutes. Mix dough thoroughly until it stops sticking to the hands. Add the remaining flour. Cover and set aside for 5minutes. Place on a board and knead until firm and glossy. margarine salt and the remaining sugar in a bowl. Remove from pan and insert on cooling rack. Fold in the dry ingredients alternately with the milk. 6. Prepare a soft dough by using the dissolved yeast to mix the soya bean ingredients. Stir and remove from heat when it starts bubbling to top level of the sauce pan.50 2-4 tbsp sugar 3 tsp dry yeast ½ tsp salt Method 1. reserving some for kneading. Mix again and knead a second time. Combine margarine. 2. When double in size. Boil sugar and water quickly without stirring until golden b r o w n and glossy. 3. stir in the warm milk and boiling waters. 6. 4. Set aside until lukewarm. Makes 2 loaves. OATMEAL BREAD 100grams uncooked quick oatmeal 125ml boiling water 60grams (4 tbsp) sugar 1tsp salt l25ml lukewarm water 250m1 warm milk 600grams sifted flour 60grams margarine 3 ½ tsp dry yeast Method 1. Beat well until the mixture is well blended. 4. Serve with vanilla sauce as a dessert/sweet. The pineapple should be evenly distributed all over the bottom. When adequately risen again. Method 1. 2tbsp sugar (reserve 2tbsp) and the salt. sugar and vanilla and cream well. Knead very well and cover in a warm place for dough to rise until double in size (about 35 minutes) 5. Set aside and leave to cool completely before using for cake or caramel custard. CARAMEL 100g sugar 200m1 cold water Method 1. Put the oatmeal in a large bowl. FRUIT UPSIDE DOWN CAKE 300 gram chopped pineapple 300 grams sifed flour 150 grams sugar 1 50 grams margarine 3 tsp baking powder ½ tsp salt 200m1 milk 1 tsp vanilla ½ tsp nutmeg 4-6 eggs. 4. Sprinkle the yeast into the 125m1 lukewarm water and stir in the remaining 2tbsp sugar until dissolved. bake in pre-heated oven at 4000 f for 10 minutes first. Bake at 350f for 50 minutes or until cake is golden brown. 5. . Add the margarine. Shape in to two loaves and place in a greased bread pan. Pour cake batter over the pineapple as a second layer. Cover with a damp cloth or towel and let rise for 1 ½ hours under warm condition. Note: Soya bean bread produces a heavy dough and requires more kneading man the regular plain white bread. 2. 3. Stir the dissolved yeast into the oatmeal mixture. Dissolve yeast in warm water with l tbsp sugar. bake in a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes. 7. Add the white flour to the soya bean dough to obtain a stiff consistency for kneading. add half o f t h e flour and mix until smooth. little at a time. 3. Mix the soya bean flour. 3.
beaten stiff 60m1 rum ½ tsp almond extract/Cloves 4 tbsp caramel. . Sift together the first 5 ingredients twice 2. COFFEE CAKE 200g margarine ¼ tsp salt 200g sugar 200g mixed fruits/currants 200m1 caramel 1 tsp cinnamon/coffee 300g flour ½ tsp nutmeg 3 tsp baking powder 1 tsp vanilla 2 tsp strawberry flavor cashew nuts 4 tbsp (optional) 6eggs Method 1. Break and grate off or scrape away the brown surface of the coconut flesh. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350° for about 45 minutes. Occasionally. Store in air tight containers for later use when cold. cinnamon and salt into the sifted flour. stir to prevent burning or uneven browning. Add the egg yolks one at a time. Beat egg white again. beating very well. Mix together and add the currants to mixed fruits. 2. 3. vanilla and almond extract. 1 ¼ tsp baking powder 1 ¼ tsp baking soda 150g sugar 3 egg yolks 180 ml orange juice ¼ tsp vanilla 2 tsp grated orange rind Method 1. pour the boiling water over the oatmeal and mix thoroughly. Cream margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Toss together and set aside. Fold in the egg whites into the flour mixture (batter) and pour into the greased 1 0 inch pan. Decorate for anniversary ceremony when cool. ORANGE RUM CAKE 350 g sifted flour 1 ¼ tsp salt 1 ¼ tsp grated dry ginger 150g margarine 3 egg whites. Fold in the flour ingredients. 2. Cover and set aside for 20 minutes. 1 tsp baking powder 200m1 cup boiling water 250 grams sifted flour lisp cinnamon Method 1. Add the caramel. Gradually beat in tile beaten eggs. Bake till dry but not coloured. Stir in the orange rind. Gradually blend in the softened oatmeal. . 2.51 DESICCATED COCONUT 1 coconut Method 1. Grease a medium. 6. Mix the orange juice with the rum together 4. beating well. Cream margarine and sugar till light and fluffy.seized cake pan and pour in the oatmeal cake and bake in a pre-heated oven for 45minutes. Mix the brown sugar and margarine till soft. Grate the coconut and spread out on a baking tray and put in a preheated oven. Now sift the baking soda. Add the dry ingredients and run mixture alternately into the creamed margarine and sugar mixture with the orange juice mixture. Prepare caramel and set aside to cool. 3. Beat eggs till thick and mix in to the sugar and fat mixture. 5. OATMEAL CAKE 100g oatmeal (quick cooking oatmeal) 1 60grarns brown sugar 1 tsp baking soda ½ tsp salt 100grams mixed fruits or currants. 4. 3. 4.
Stir in the nuts and mixed fruits. 4. PLAIN BREAKFAST PANCAKES 10 tbspflour ¼ egg 2 tsp sugar 125ml milk ¼ tsp salt 1 tbsp vegetable 1 ½ tsp baking powder Method 1. 5. 2. Cover and set aside for about 10 minutes. margarine. Make a well at the centre of the flour mixture and add one beaten egg at a time. 7. Yields 1 serving of4 pancakes. Add scrambled eggs or sausage as breakfast dish. 8. 2. Allow to cool and cut into squares to serve as finger food. Serve as a snacks. 3. When brown. Fry until golden brown on all sides. Dissolve half of the sugar in the yeast. Serve with honey or pancake syrup. Heat the oil for frying and use oiled spooned to scoop the mixture. Mix the sifted flour. 5. sugar. 4. 9. Sift sugar. Lightly grease medium-sized baking pan and pour the batter into the pan. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 45 minutes. 3. beat the mixture lightly for about 3 minutes. milk and vegetable oil. fat. 2. Stir in the milk and mix thorough. salt and baking powder.52 5. In a separate bowl beat the egg. 4. salt and baking powder combine then in small portions with the fat mixture by folding in and alternatively adding the spices and flavoring. Using a wooden spoon. Cover and allow to ferment till it bubbles (1 5 minutes). PUFF-PUFF 300 grams sifted flour ½ tsp salt 45 grams/3 tbsp sugar Vegetable oil for deep frying 1 tbsp margarine/oil 1 ½ tsp yeast 250rnl water lukewarm Method 1. 7. Cover bowl with a damp towel and place till it doubles it original size or leave in the refrigerator over night. Heat a heavy frying pan (small sized) on top cooker and grease the bottom lightly with a teaspoon of vegetable oil. flour. Alternately mold batter in balls and drop in the heated oil. Drain out oil and serve as snack. . salt and baking powder till the mixture becomes crumbs. remaining sugar and salt in a bowl. 6. Stir in the fermented yeast with a Spoon and beat the mixture lightly. Beat the batter until it is smooth. At this time the underside of the pancake is golden brown. rise to the top and become popped. Heat vegetable oil. Mix the flour. 3. test for doneness and remove from heat. Stir in the dry ingredients into the milk egg-mixture. Beat and drop the batter in balls from oiled Spoon into the hot oil. RICH BUNS 250g flour(sifted) egg 60 grams/4 tbsp margarine 50g sugar Vegetable oil for deep frying 100-125ml water 2 tbsp milk ½ tsp salt 2 tsp baking powder 3 tsp corned beef (optional) Method 1. Pre-heat the oven. Sift the flour. Pour ¼ of the batter into the centre of the pan over medium heat until bubbles form. 6. Fry until the mixture is light brown and remove with a straining spoon. 5. Flip the pancake cover to brown the other side. Add ¼ tsp of the corned beef to the batter in the spoon and drop the batter as ball into the deep frying pan oil.
3. Pie filling must be made earlier and cooled before filling the pie shells. Before mixing the ingredient for pastry. Add the fat and mix until mixture looks like fine bread crumbs. 5. and cold water is desirable. Cookies can be mixed by creaming method or pastry method. 4. BASIC PASTRY (FOR MEAT. Cookies is another favorite snack made from soft dough. The tops at the top of each pie with fork or knife to permit steam to escape during baking. the dough nay be left for about 15 minutes for flour to be well hydrated and for easier handling. SAUSAGE ROLL AND FISH PIES) i) Short-Crust Margarine Pastry (ii) Oil Pastry 300 grams flour (sifted) 300 grams flour (sifted) Pinch salt 2 tsp baking powder 150 grams margarine 150m1 vegetable oil 100ml cold water 50m1 cold water 1 egg for glazing 1 egg for glazing Pinch salt ii) Margarine-Oil Pastry 300g flour ½ tsp salt 60g margarine 60m1 vegetable oil 60ml water (iv) Suet Pastry (Economy) 300g flour 3 tsp baking powder 100g margarine/oil 75m1 water ¼ tsp salt Method 1. The salt contributes to flavor and the fat gives tenderness. 8. sugar. rising agents and flavorings. fat. The pies must be sufficiently filled. After mixing. After mixing. 2. The water is used to bind the ingredients. Prepare the filling and set aside to cool. Alternatively. It produced less flaky and tender crusts and it is often used for commercial productions. the dough is lolled. Sprinkle with enough cold water to moisten. 7. Cookies should neither be too hard. The flour must be of good quality in order to produce firm products. (2) Flaky pastry has ratio of two-thirds fat to the flour. Machine is also used for mixing of pastry in order to have cumulated quantity of fats well distributed in the flour and incorporate sufficient air into the dough and improve tenderness. nor too soft or crumbly. fat. Toss flour and salt together. (3) The suet pastry has less amount of fat and one-third fat to flour quantity is used. When mixing and rolling. The dough is rolled into ¼ inch thickness and cut into desired sizes and shapes. Cover the pie shells and seal properly. It produces very tender and flaky crusts. 6. When baked. Roll out to ¼ inch thickness on floured board and cut into shapes. Bake in pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes. Cold water is added gradually to the mixture and it is combined together. The softer doughs may be dropped on baking trays for baking. Cut the top with a fork and the beaten egg. Gather into a ball and set aside for 15-30 minutes. It is made with flour. chilled and cut into desired shapes with biscuit cutter. well folded and sealed together to prevent leakages.53 PASTRIES AND COOKIES Pies are made from plain pastry which is a stiff dough made from flour. care must be taken to avoid kneading and over stretching of the pastry for handling can cause the pie crusts to shrink and become tough when baked. . The dough is gathered to form a ball and rolled on a flat surface. eggs and milk. always set aside some flour that will be needed to sprinkle on. Makes 8 pies. The surfaces may be smooth or rough. The pies are arranged in well greased baking trays and placed in pre-heated ovens. The tops are also lightly brushed with beaten egg or milk for browning as a form of garnishing. Plain pastry may be classified according to the ratio of fat to flour. tender and golden brown in colour. For best result. They are (1) short crust pastry which has half fat to the flour measurement It is fairly flaky and crumbles easily. Cuts should be made at the top of each pie with fork or knife to permit steam to escape during baking. salt and water. pies may also be fried in deep fat. They should be removed from the trays immediately they are baked. the pastry dough should not be over stretched when rolling and cutting. board and dough when rolling. Fill with meat. fish or sausage fillings. pastries should be flaky. Pastry is made by cutting fat into the flour and salt until the mixture becomes like bread crumbs. Over mixing will result in toughness of cookies.
Rub the sausage generously along the centre of pastry. Place the rolls on a greased baking sheet or tray and glaze the tops with beaten eggs. Using the rolling pin.54 MEAT PIE/FISH PIE FILLING 50 grams minced beef/flaked cooked fish 2 tsp flour ¼ tsp salt 100ml beef broth 4 potatoes diced and boiled 1 tsp curry 1 tsp thyme 4 tbsp peas 1 carrot. spread the mixed sausage on the surface of the rectangle. Sift flour and salt 2. 6. Roll over in two or three folding. Cook for 8 minutes until beef is cooked. 3. melt margarine or heat oil and add onion. SAUSAGE ROLL 250 grams beef sausage ½ tsp curry or nutmeg Basic pastry recipe 1 egg (beaten) for glazing Method 1. Gather the mixture in small balls without kneading. Add the beef broth. 7. Stir-fry for 2 minutes and remove from heat. 5. Make a well in the centre of the mixture and add water gradually to form a past. Rub in the fat into the flour. Handle dough as little as possible and place balts on a floured board. folding in and stirring well un flour is well absorbed. In a bowl cut in the margarine and rub in to have flour crumbs. 2. In a saucepan. 9. Roll up the remaining pastry. Fry for 2 seconds and then add minced beef or fish flakes. Roll dough on lightly floured board to a 4 by 12 inches in rectangle of ½ inch long thickness. Remove 2-3 tbsp of flour mixture for rolling out. Using a spoon. 5. 4. 4. . 5. 2. 3. Mix the sausage and curry or nutmeg. Brush milk or egg wash on top and bake in pre-heated 3500f heated oven for 30-40 minutes. peas. 4. 8. Sprinkle flour into the mixture. 3. Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes or till light brown. Spread the corned beef evenly over the surface of the flat dough as for sausage roll. Seal the edges and use a knife and cut into 2 ½ to 3 inches sizes. Add baking powder. which now gives 4 sausage rolls. See diagram for rolling out cutting guidelines. water and the seasonings stir well to mix up ingredients. Use fork to cut the top of the rolls and place in greased pan. Fold over the rolled pastry from the long side until the rectangle makes 3-4 folding. Add carrots. 6. CHIN CHIN 300 grams sifted flour 75g margarine 1 egg ½ tsp salt Vegetable oil for frying 45g (4 tbsp) sugar ½ tsp baking powder pinch nutmeg 2-3 tbsp cold water 1 ½ tbsp powdered milk Method 1. roll out the dough into Y2 inch thickness in rectangular shape. Prepare the margarine or oil pastry. CORNED BEEF ROLLS 300g flour 100ml cold water 150g margarine 1 small can corned beef Pinch salt 1 beaten egg for glazing Method 1. nutmeg and sa1t Toss together until mixture forms crumbs. chopped and boil 2 ½ margarine or vegetable oil Method 1.
curry. Serve wit groundnuts as snack. Drain and serve hot. Split into 2 sections again and garnish with cucumber slice to serve. Peel the boiled eggs. If heat is too low or much quantity is fried at time. Sieve the baking powder. Now roll out on floured board into 1 ¼ or ½ inch thickness and cu into cubes or dices. Seal the edge of the last fold with little water. 3. 2. 6. Allow chin-chin pieces to drain off oil after frying. 7. Heat oil in deep fryer and fry the rolled up egg till golden brown. Cut in margarine into the flour and gradually sprinkle water into the flour and mixture to moisten. 6. 4. 3. cut length wise through the middle and scoop out the yolks. 5. Gather dough into balls and leave for 10-15 minutes for flour absorb liquid well. EGG ROLL 4 eggs (hard boiled) 200g sifted flour 50g fat 2 tsp baking powder ½ tsp salt ½ tsp sugar 60m1 cold water oil for deep frying . seasoning and water. STUFFED EGG ROLL 4 large eggs (hardboiled) 2 tbsp minced cooked fish ½ tsp curry 3 tbsp milk 6 tbsp margarine (90g) ½ tsp ground pepper 200g plain sifted flour ½ tsp soy or maggi sauce pinch salt and pepper ½ tsp baking powder Method 1. Cover each half. the chin-chin will soak the oil and will no be crisp. 5. Place the yolk in a bowl with the minced fish. FISH ROLL a) Fish filling 250g flaked cooked fish ½ tsp flour ½ tsp curry ½ tsp salt 2 tbsp water ½ chopped onion 2 tsp vegetable oil Method 1. 4. Stir well and sprinkle in the flour to bind the ingredients. Spread the filling all over the dough surface and roll the rectangular pastry in two or three folds. 2. Pre-heat oil and fry until light brown. Heat the vegetable oil and onion in a frying pan for 2seconds. pepper.55 2. Cut into rectangular shapes and fill them with the cooked fish filling. 2. Add 1 tbsp margarine and 1 tbsp milk to the egg yolk and mix well. 3. Note: Corned beef or sardines can be used as alternatives. Stir-fry for 2 minutes and remove from heat to cook while pastry is prepared. b) Pie shell (pastry) 300g flour ½ tsp salt 100g fat ½ tsp baking powder 60-80ml cold water 1 egg for glazing Method 1. 6. Divide the yolk mixture into 4 equal portions and fill 3 each egg (half of white) with the yolk mixture. Add cold water and bind together. flour board with reserved mixture. Cut into 3 inch long rolls and place in a greased baking tray Glaze the top with beaten egg and put in the oven to bake for about 40 minutes. flour and salt into a bowl. Do no knead pastry. Use paste (flattened) to cover each filled egg coated first in flour pinch the joining edges for proper sealing of the paste. pressing together to form a whole egg again. salt. Gather the mixture into a ball and roll into ½ inch thickness on a board. Make a thick paste with flour remaining margarine. pepper. milk. 4. Add the flaked fish. salt ingredients thoroughly. 5. 3.
Rub in the margarine for the flour mixture to form crumbs. 5. turn out the cake on a sugared paper and remove the baking paper carefully. Peel hard-boiled eggs and set aside. 8. Gradually fold in the vanilla and warm water. When baked. SCOTCH EGGS 4 hard boiled eggs 4 tbsp bread crumbs 200g beef sausage ½ tsp curry 2 tbsp sifted flour . Make a well in the centre. 5. mix flour. Grease a swiss cake pan and line with a greased paper. Add cold water to make the dough. Serve as snacks. 3. fold the dough like a skin over the egg and seal edges very well with the egg fully enclosed and the egg shapes still maintained. FRIED PIES 300g flour ½ tsp salt 100g margarine 50. 5. heat until the coating is golden brown on all sides. 4. Remove sugared paper and cool the roll on a cake rack. vegetable oil for frying . add the sugar lightly and continue to whisk until the egg mixture has doubled into size and become thick and creamy. 8. Fill each pie shell with the prepared filling. Now whisk. Now coat the shelled egg with remaining flour and wrap each egg. fish or meat filling (already prepared) 1 ½ tsp sugar Vegetable oil for deep frying Method 1. sugar and salt together 3. add the water gradually to make a fi r m paste while handling the mixture as little and lightly as possible. Damp the rim or edge of the pie shell with water and seal the rim of the pie firmly 6.80m1 water ½ tsp baking powder Beans. 4. 7. Fry pies in heated vegetable oil till golden brown. Now spread the warm jam all over the surface of the rectangular-shaped cake. The water should not be too hot the bowl should not touch the water to prevent the eggs from curding. 6. Remove the beaten egg from the top of the hot water and sprinkle half of the flour over the egg mixture. 2. 3. 4. Bake in a pre-heated oven until golden brown and firm. sugar. Break the eggs into a mixing bowl and place the bowl over a pan of hot water. drain serve as snack or cocktail.56 Method 1. 9. Reserving one table spoon of flour. Sieve flour. Roll out pastry about ¼ inch (1/2 cm) thick. Gather the soft dough in a ball. Heat oil for deep frying and cook the eggs under moderate. 7. Put the mixture in to the greased pan over the paper and spread evenly. Now roll up quite firmly and leave the roll wrapped up in the sugared paper for about 10 minutes to keep the roll in food shape. Taking one at a time. Cut the margarine into the flour ingredients. Use a pastry cutter to cut pie shapes. After 5 minutes of whisking. without stretching. SWISS ROLL 100 grams sifted flour 3 eggs ½ tsp baking powder 2-3 tbsp warm jam 100grams sugar l tbsp warm water ½ tsp vanilla essence Method 1. Cut into smaller rolls. 6. Fold in lightly with a metal spoon. with a portion of dough. salt and baking powder into a bowl 2. 2. Coat the remaining eggs. Sieve baking powder into the sieved flour and sieve the sugar separately. share the dough in to 6 portions and flatten each portion to ¼ inch thickness. Now sprinkle the remaining flour and continue to fold in until flour is completely absorbed.
3. They are later mixed with water or other beverage and served chilled. stimulating drinks between meals. They are grouped as follows: 1. egg drinks. tea and cocoa are popular in meals. fat. ensure that good quality fresh fruits are used. . Stir in the water. malted and vegetable juices. lemon grass and scent leaf tea. Bake in slow oven for about 20 minutes or until firm to touch. 2. Energizers: Malted and vegetable drinks. Add sugar alternately with egg white. Squashes are boiled concentrates of juices to which small proportion of sugar has been added. 7. cocoa. 4. add flour and mix well. 6. Put 2 or 3 cookies together with the vanilla filling in between them. flask and teapots. 3. 3. Cream margarine and sugar. fruit and milk drinks are more nutritious. fresh fruits drinks. Refreshers: Fruit drinks and soft drinks. Fruits and vegetable juices are good source of vitamins and some minerals and are obtained from squeezing the fruits. 8. ensure that you use appropriate’ utensils like jugs. 2. Remove from heat and cool on wire racks. egg hot drinks. VANILLA FILLING 65gmargarifle 140g icing sugar 1 egg white ½ tsp Food colour (pink or yellow) Method 1. coffee. Makes 2 ½ -3 dozens. Stimulants: Coffee. Also. Nourishers: Milk shakes. the beverage is known as fruit drink. Milk contains protein. 5. Bake for 8-10 minutes. 2. 6. 4. Use filling for sandwiching sponge cakes as well. Chill for ease in handling. However. 6. Place the balls apart in an ungreased baking tray or sheet. mineral water. fruits juices. beat until blended. Nutritious drinks provide specific nutrients to help fight illness. 4. Maintenance of proper hygiene is important when handling the ingredients. 2. When fruits juices are mixed with water (1 to 3 parts water) and sweetened with sugar or honey. Chapter Seven BEVERAGES AND DESSERTS A beverage is any kind of drink that is prepared for human consumption. Beverages may come from mostly animals or fruits and vegetables. COCONUT BALLS 125g margarine 1 tsp vanilla 130g sifted flour 60g sifted sugar ½ tbsp water 200g shredded coconut Method 1. 3. beer etc. sugar and vanilla. Health Promoters: Fruit and vegetable juices Beverages may serve as appetizers in meals. 5.58 Method 1. minerals and vitamins. boast the body’s energy and vitality and ensure a healthy lifestyle. Peel or scrape off the brown back of the coconut flesh. Now prepare the vanilla filling that will be used to sandwich two or three cookies together. 5. Cream margarine. When preparing beverages. beating until light and fluffy. Allow them to cool thoroughly before removing them from the baking tray. Form 2 rolls each of 7 inches long and 1 ½ inches wide which look like sausage roll. as accompaniments to meal or the final course of a meal. Gradually add flour. Sedatives: Alcoholic drinks. Stir in the coconut and mould into I inch balls. Soft drinks. Now cut into ‘/2 inch sizes (thickness of slice) and place in lightly oiled baking pan. Make 3 dozens. tea. Shred coconut and set aside. Beat in egg and vanilla. Blend vanilla and desired food colouring.
4. Using a sharp knife. Scoop out the melon fruit. Pour over the juice in a jar. Place the sugar and water in a saucepan and heat till all sugar are dissolved. reserving the shell. Orange and pineapple juices maybe added. discarding the seeds. WATERMELON BASKET ½ water melon ½ medium pineapple 250m1 orange juice 23 bananas 1 red apple 1 lemon Method 1. Add syrup to taste and the lemon juice. peel pawpaw and remove the seeds. Boil for another five minutes for4fie syrup to thicken slightly.59 GRAPE FRUIT DRINK 2 ripe grape fruits 500ml water Syrup to taste Method 1. Chili before serving. 3. Wash. trim the edge for the watermelon shell by cutting a saw tooth edge. Sweeten with syrup 3. Make ½ inch water melon cubes from the scooped watermelon. scoop out the pulp and squeeze out juice through a sieve. Squeeze out the juice. Combine these in a bowl to prevent browning of the bananas. PAWPAW DRINK ½ ripe pawpaw 1 tsp lemon/lime juice 500m1 boiled water Syrup and water to taste (250ml water boiled with 75g sugar) Method 1. Stir in the orange juice. Slice the bananas and dice the pineapple. 3. Boil the water and leave to cool. Note: Syrup for flavoring fruit drinks should be prepared before hand and allowed to cool before addition to drinks. Remove seeds. Leave to cook and chill before serving. Wash fruit and cut into sections. . Blender can be used to crush the pulp before sieving. 3. 2. Syrup (For Fruity Drinks) 75g sugar 250m1 water Method 1. 2. WATER MELON DRINK 1 small watermelon fruit 1 lemon/lime Syrup and water to taste 500m1 boiled water Method 1. 2. Wash and cut fruit into halves. 2. Fill the shell with fruit salad and decorate with quartered lemon Seal the top of the watermelon basket with clean film or foil paper and chill before serving. Cool and add to fruit drinks.
Alternatively. Serve chilled in glasses and garnish with lemon/lime slices. Sweeten with syrup and add the lemon juice. Add ice blocks to serve immediately. ZOBO DRINK 200g zobo flower (1/4 basket) 3 litres of water 3 tsp crushed ginger 500m1 pineapple/orange juice sugar to taste 3 tsp crushed cloves Method 1. Put chucks of pineapple in a bowl and use a crusher/blender to squeeze out the juice. 5. Wash lemon(s) and squeeze out the juice. Keep the zobo boiling for about 30 minutes till the colour is fully absorbed into the liquid. Wash. Cut beetroot in to small pieces as well as the apple. PINEAPPLE DRINK 4 slices or small ripe pineapple 1 lime/lemon juice 700ml boiled water 1 tsp crushed ginger syrup to taste Method 1. stir in the ginger or cloves and set aside for few minutes. 4. Combine all the ingredients in a jug except the cucumbers7 lemon slices and the bitter lemon soft drink. Add the bitter lemon last. Use a blender or juicing machine to blend the fruits. Mix well and pour in to cocktail glasses. Boil the 3 litres of water and pour over the washed zobo. Add the pure water to filter and obtain the juice. Sort the dried zobo flower to remove all dirt in it. Scrub pineapple. Cover and keep drink until cold. 7. 2. Serve chilled. Sweeten with syrup or honey if desired. 4. Remove from heat. Serve chilled in tall glasses with a sprig of lime leaf as garnishing. BEETROOT AND CARROT DRINK 1 raw beetroot 2 medium carrots 1 apple (red or green) 500m1 pure water Method 1. Wash them in clean water. Mash the pawpaw or pulp in a blender. The fleshy part of pineapple is cut and served as a dessert or refreshments. Garnish side of glass with cucumber/lemon slices. Pour into jugs and chill before serving. peel and remove the hard core at the middle. 4. Add lime and syrup. CHAPMAN’S DRINK 250ml orange juice 1 tbsp bitters ltsp sugar syrup (optional) Juice of 1-2 lemons 300m1 bitter lemon 2 cucumber or lemon slices. but do not peel beet root. the thoroughly washed pineapple peels can be boiled in 700m1 water strained into jugs and chilled before serving. Cut into small chunks and put in a bowl. Add previously boiled water to mashed pawpaw and strain into a glass jug. 2. 3. 3. ORANGE AND MILK PUNCH 500m1 (2 cups) orange juice 1 tbsp sugar/honey 500ml diluted evaporated milk 1 tsp milk flavour . 5. Filter very well and discard the chaff. 3. Wash. Stir in ginger. Add the pure water and strain into a glass jug. remove immediately from the water and place them in a sauce pot. 2. scrape and grate carrots. Leave to cool completely. Stir in the pineapple juice and sugar to taste.60 2. Method 1. 2. 6.
Garnish with orange slices serve in tall glasses. M ix in remaining water and strain the liquid into a glass jar. 4 lemon slices 2 tbsp sugar syrup . 2. Store in a plastic container in a cool place for about 24-48 h o u r s (overnight). Wash and peel bananas/plantains. SOUR SOP DRINK 1 medium ripe sour sop 1 litre of previously boiled water syrup to taste ½ tsp nutmeg/vanilla Method 1. Add milk flavour 2. Crush it and pass through a sieve to extract the juice. Add syrup and nutmeg/vanilla. Slice into bits and put in a bowl. After heating cool and chill drink till service time. 6. PLANTAIN DRINK 2 ripe plantains/ripe bananas syrup to taste (optional) 1 ½ litre boiled cooled water Method 1. TEA PUNCH 250m1 apple juice 1 litre orange juice 500m1 brewed tea 2 tbsp bitters (optional) 1 bottle ginger ale (fanta ginger) 2 tsp ground cloves Orange slices to garnish Method 1. Pour mixture into an air-tight plastic bowl and cover well. chilled. 5. Filter the mixture through a fine sieve into another plastic or glass bowl.61 Method 1. Mix the orange juice and milk together. Pour liquid into a pot. APPLE AND WINE DRINK 2 apples 1 lemon 75ml brandy 200m1 ginger ale. 3. Add the bitters and ginger ale. 2. 3. Mix all the ingredients in a punch bowl. 4. 5. Remove the flesh of the sour sop and discard the seeds. 6. Mash but do not blend the plantain pieces and add the water. Place in a bowl and add a little water to the fleshy part. sweeten to taste with the sugar or honey. Chill till serving. Chill and serve garnished with lemon slices. Wash fruit very well. 3. CHAMPAGNE AND ORANGE JUICE COCKTAIL DRINK 500m1 champagne 1 tbsp honey 500m1 orange juice 4 lemon slices Method 1. The mixture now becomes a fairly thick liquid with some foamy substance and plantain pieces at the top. Chill the orange juice and the wine. 2. 2. 4. add sugar or syrup (if necessary) and boil for 20 minutes. Serve immediately in wine glasses garnish with lemon slices. Serve in tall glasses garnished with few pawpaw chunks. Pour the fruit juices and tea over a large block of ice in a punch bowl. Note: Pineapple or grape fruit juices may be used or added. Avoid use of aluminum utensils.
Wash and cut apples into sections. Add the syrup to the juices 4. Stir in the brandy. Serve chilled. Blend half of the orange juice and milk in a blender until smooth. Cover the jug and allow the lemonade to cool. 2. 2. Decorate with slices of lemon and top the drink with ginger ale or fanta soft drink. Peel the lemon and out the pit including the seeds. Cut into halves and trim off few thin slices o f t h e rind from half of a lemon. 4. Stir well and add the wine or ginger ale. Squeeze the juices from the lemons into a jug. 2. Stir in the remaining orange juice. Mix all ingredients either by whisking or mixing in a blender. Strain the juice into a jug. strained juice and sugar syrup. Note: Oranges. Dissolved sugar in water. 3. 2. Add sugar if desired. 2. lime or grapefruit can be used in place of lemon or in addition to lemon. Cut into pieces. Serve into four glasses and add ice cubes. Push the lemon pieces and apple sections through a juice extractor/blender. LEMONADE 3 large lemons (ripe) Syrup to taste l000ml previously boiled water Method 1. 3. tangerines. ENERGY EGGNOG 1 egg 1 can of diluted evaporated milk 1 tbsp brandy (optional) 2tbsp honey 150m1 orange juice Method 1. Combine the juice in a bowl. Pour into glasses. Dust with nutmeg as garnishing. Add ice cubes and lime/lemon slices and serve chilled. Wash lemons. CARROT MANGO DRINK 3 medium carrots (peeled and grated) 1 ripe mango . Mix well after each addition. Serve chilled with lemon slice topping as garnishing. Half a teaspoon of brandy flavor can be used in place of pure brandy.62 Method 1. Wash and break eggs into saucer. one at a time. MIXED FRUIT DRINK (PUNCH) 500ml orange juice 500mlpineapplejuice 100ml lemon juice 1 bottle non-alcoholic fruit wine or 2bottlesgingerale 1 litre of chilled pure water 200m1 grape juice 100g sugar Method 1. Add the lemon rind pour the water into the jar. Add eggs to mixture. Stir in the syrup and strain. BREAKFAST DELIGHT DRINK 1 tin evaporated milk (diluted) 400ml orange/pineapple juice 3 eggs Syrup to taste Method 1. 3. 3. Chill the brandy.
2. They are usually served as the third courses in meals (fruits pies. Mix carefully until slightly smooth Handle pastry gently. Cut up carrots and blend to a smooth pulp. Add margarine and nix well 2. 7. Wash. cakes an puddings) and light dessert dishes (ices and fruits). DESSERTS/SWEETS Desserts are light food items that are used to add final touch to meals. 2. CHIFFON CAKE 4 eggs 100g sugar 100gflour 1 tsp baking powder 50g margarine/3 ½ tbsp vegetable oil ½ tsp cream of tartar 1 tsp vanilla extract/lemon extract Method 1. Remove from heat and whisk until cold and thick. peel and chop mango flesh. it is important to maintain good hygiene in order to prevent contamination of the products and prevent excessive changes in temperature This is very important in serving milk and fruit salad desserts. Fold in the melted margarine or vegetable oil gently. creamy and double in size is obtained. They increase the enjoyment of meals. 6. Leave to cool 3. 4. In preparing and serving desserts. Mix the carrot and mango drink in a jug and sweeten with honey or sugar. 5. vegetable tarts. Add the pineapple juice and pour into a jug chill and serve garnished with cucumber slices and pineapple chunks threaded on cocktail skewers placed on glass of the drink. Stir in the run or run flavouring. appropriate cooling temperature is important for maximum enjoyment of such dishes. floured baking pan. SUGAR PASTRY 200g sugar 100g margarine 2-3 tbsp water 1 egg 50g sugar ¼ tsp salt Method 1. Cover and set aside. beans pie or fish pie. Place in a bowl and mash very well. Fold in sifted flour and baking powder very gently 6. Add the remaining water to the crushed mango and filter out the liquid. 4. sugar and cream of tartar in a bowl over a pan of hot water. 3. Bake in a moderately hot oven for about 30 minutes ECONOMY VANILLA ICE CREAM 500ml evaporated milk 2 eggs . 5. Allow to rest in a cool place before using for jam tarts. Therefore. Place in a greased. Whisk eggs. stirring well till dissolved 2. Beat in the vanilla and lemon extract. Add three quarters of the water to the carrots and strain out the liquid into a bowl. Melt margarine and leave to cool. 3. Cream eggs and sugar. Continue until smooth mixture that light. 3. Sieve flour and salt gradually incorporate into the egg and sugar mixture. cloves and vanilla Mix thoroughly. Serve chilled in glasses with ice cubes. Dilute cream of coconut in the 500m1 hot water in a bowl Add sugar. Most light desserts are usually served chilled. making sure that it is not stretched 4. PINEAPPLE COCONUT DRINK 500m1 pineapple juice chilled 80m1 dark run or ½ tsp run flavouring 500m1 hot water 1 tsp vanilla extract 100g sugar ½ tsp ground cloves 1 pack cream of coconut Method 1.63 Sugar to taste 800m1 water Method 1.
Add the cooked cornstarch and mix well. stirring constantly as the mixture boils. CORNSTARCH CUSTARD 60g (4 ½ tbsp) sugar 270m1 milk 40-50g (3 ½ tables) custard powder or plain cornstarch. Get the egg-milk mixture from freezer and beat till smooth and creamy. Mix cornstarch or custard and a little milk. 4. 2. Beat the milk mixture until thick and stiff enough to form peaks. nutmeg and salt. 4. Heat remaining milk for 2 minutes and pour over blended custard powder or cornstarch mixture. Serve as dessert. Beat reserved egg whites to stiffness and fold into the cooled milk. Beat egg yolk and blend 25g of sugar. 3. Separate eggs . Gradually add the vanilla or banana flavor essence. mixture. Dissolve gelatine in 2 tbsp water and stir into milk mixture. Prepare cornstarch with little boiled water. 3. 3.serve topped with cornflakes. 2. Remove from heat and leave to cool.64 2 tbsp sugar 1 tsp vanilla/banana essence 15g gelatine 2 tbsp water Method 1. Makes 6-8 servings. sugar and egg yolk together. make it thick and set aside. Cook for 2 minutes longer and remove from heat. fruit chunks or jam. Do not allow to boil. 3. and bake for 25 minutes. stirring until it thickens. Cover in a plastic bowl and leave to set in the freezer (about 6 hours). beating only the milk. Add vanilla and chill before serving 8-10 servings. Place the milk mixture over water simmering in the pan. Pour into greased baking pan. salt and milk. 5. Serve in cups. BAKED CUSTARD 4 eggs 1 tin evaporated milk diluted With 2 parts water 1 tsp vanilla/nutmeg Pinch of salt 2 tbsp sugar Method 1. vanilla. FRENCH ICE CREAM 100g sugar 3 egg whites Pinch salt 250m1 evaporated milk\ 3 egg yolks 1 ½ ml vanilla(1 ½ teaspoon) 2 tbsp cornstarch Method 1. milk. Cover mixture and freeze for another 5 -10 minutes while beating egg whites and remaining sugar to stiffness. stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. 2. 4. Cook water in a pan and leave to simmer. Note: Caramel may be poured into pan or individual queen cake pans before the custard (milk and egg mixture) is poured on it to bake. Vanilla/nutmeg Method 1. . Freeze in covered plastic container until it is firm (4hrs). add sugar. Add vanilla and pour into a shallow pan. Freeze for 30 minutes until mushy. 6. Fold the egg whites into the egg yolk and milk mixture. 2. Beat eggs slightly. Heat the mixture to hotness. Heat milk to lukewarmness. Return to sauce pan and cook over medium heat. 5.
5. and cut into triangles or squares MANGO FLUFF 3 ripe mangoes 1 sachet gelatin ½ tsp. FRUIT JAM 40grams chopped pineapple (2 mgt) 250m1 water 1 tbsp lime juice 300grams (1 mgt) sugar Method 1. 4. Bring out and beat well again till mixture is fluffy Mix cornflakes and coconut flakes and line the bottom of a square dish Pour ice cream over coconut and com flakes. Take back to freezer and leave for about 3-4 hours to allow the ice cream to be fully set. Toss gently again before serving into cocktail glasses or salad cups. Toss gent1y using a wooded spoon. CRUNCHY FRUIT SALAD 1 apple diced 1 banana sliced 1 large orange in fleshy sections ¼ watermelon deseeded and diced 50 grams raising! mixed fruits 4 tbsp shredded coconut ½ cup orange juice 3 tbsp honey 2 tbsp lemon juice Method 1. 4. sugar and vanilla/banana flavour together. vanilla . Beat eggs. Cook half of the sugar and water with the pineapple chunks until the fruit is soft. Top with coconut pieces. While still hot. except shredded coconut. Use as spread for bread and filling for doughnuts. Cool and bottle. 3. stirring occasionally. pour dissolved gelanne over cooled mixture Add the remaining evaporated milk and beat till fully blended. Combine all the above ingredients in plastic bowl and mix well. 2. 3. (not hard frozen) stirring once. Freeze until mushy. Add the remaining sugar and lime juice. 2. Pour warm milk over egg mixture. Dissolve gelatine in the remaining 2tbsp4water over low heat. Remove from the hot water bowl and leave to cool. Cover bowl and place mixture in the freezer Leave to chill for about 40 minutes until the mixture is fairly set 6. lemon juice 1 tin evaporated milk 60 grams icing sugar 6 tsp. 3. Mix orange juice and honey and pour over the fruits. Heat 250ml milk diluted with 3tbsp water to warmness. Cook until set but not sticky (about 35 minutes). Pour lemon juice over banana and diced apples to prevent browning of the surface immediately after slicing. 4. Keep refrigerated. Place the bowl of milk -egg mixture over another bowl of hot water (not directly inside hot water) and whisk the mixture till it thickens. 3. Combine all the fruits in a bowl.65 FRUIT FREEZE 2 teaspoon lemon/lime juice 250m1 orange juice 1 tsp vanilla 250 ml pineapple juice 250m1 mango juice Method 1. PARTY VANILLA ICE CREAM 500m1 evaporated milk 1 tbsp gelatin (15 gram) 1 tbsp vanilla /banana flavour ½ cup corn flakes (crushed) 2 eggs 2 tbsp sugar 5 tbsp water ¼ cup coconut flakes Method 1. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours. 2. 2. Serve decorated with corn flakes. Scoop into cocktail glasses and garnish with a slice of lemon. Colour is golden brown. Juice from pawpaw can also be added.
5. Cut the bread into pieces and soak in the milk dissolved in half the (75g) sugar. Scoop gently into desert cups and top with the mango chunks. 6. BREAD PUDDING ½ loaf of bread (day old) 570m1 milk (diluted) 3 eggs (beaten) 100g mixed fruits/currants 1 tsp vanilla essence SAUCE Pinch ( ½ tsp ) ground ginger 120g margarine 1 50g sugar 1 egg 4 tbsp lemon juice 1 tsp nutmeg Method 1. Add the mango juice. When the bread is softened. 3. Grease 8 baking cups (moi moi cups) and fill each with equal amount of the pudding mixture. combine100g of margarine. 5.40 minutes. Chill the milk for 3 hours 2. lemon juice. m. Dissolve gelatin and chill till firm. mixed fruits ginger and nutmeg. . When set. Mix gently. 2. When the pudding are cooked. 4. vanilla and lemon. 4. ginger and remaining sugar 75g over a boiling water till melted. 4. Chill in the freezer for some 4 hours before serving into cocktail or dessert glasses! cups as a dessert or refreshment. Peel and chop the mango flesh. SPECIAL PUDDING 125grams margarine 1 egg ¼ tsp salt ½ tsp all spice/cinnamon 120 grams sugar 130 grams sifted flour 1 tsp baking powder/soda 100g currants/raising(optional) . 2. 6. beat gelatin until fluffy. Allow to cool Place sauce on plate and serve the pudding on top. Dissolve gelatin in 1 Y2 cups (360m1) hot water chill the gelatin until thick. vanilla. Beat eggs and add the flavourings. Sprinkle ½ of the corn flakes into a round or square pans. Whisk the chilled milk and sugar. 6. 7.66 Method 1. Press the juice through a sieve into a bowl and reserve the juice. Whisk gelatin till fluffy. 3. Add the beaten 1 egg and whisk till thick. 3. Beat milk until thick. Chill milk for about 3 hours. Gradually add the gelatin mixture. Pour the mixture over the crumbs and cover the top with the other ½ of the corn flakes crushed into crumbs. Add lemon juice and sugar. 5. Sour sop juice (undiluted) may be used. Preserve 3 tbsp of chopped mango for topping and mash the remaining by masher or use blender. add the eggs. add the gelatin mixture and beat well. LEMON FLUFF 1 tin evaporated milk 1 package lemon flavored gelatin 2 ½ cups (200g) corn flakes 60m1 lemon juice 100g sugar Method 1. Cover and freezer till set. Bake in a preheated oven for 30. Place the dishes/cups in a roasting pan and pour enough hot water halfway up the sides of the pans.
Sieve all into a plastic bowl and place in the freezer for 1-2 hours until mixture is mushy or fairly set. flour. Serve into dessert plates and top with ice cream or vanilla sauce. Heat the cold water and sugar in a pan till the sugar dissolve 2. 4. Pour into a bowl and stir in the orange/pineapple and lemon juice 3. PAW PAW ICE DESSERT 225 grams sugar 600 grams ripe pawpaw 250m1 orange/pineapple juice 1 large lemon juice 50m1 cold water Method 1. 3. 5. sugar. Blend in the milk gradually 2. flour. Mix salt. Remove from freezer and whisk the mixture return to the freezer and freeze till ice is semi-solid Scope into dessert bowls and serve cold. diced ¼ watermelon diced A 100g sugar 1 can evaporated milk 2 slices pawpaw. Spoon the fruit chunks evenly over the batter. Grease generously two shallow round pans. Pour the mixture into the greased pans and bake in pre-heated over for about 30 minutes or until set. In a bowl. 4. diced 100g raisins . When set remove from heat and place upside down in dessert bowls to serve. Wash peel and chop pawpaw 4. mix flour. FRUITED ICE MILK 1 firm mango. COCONUT DELIGHT 100g sugar 70g sifted flour ¾ tsp baking powder 80g shredded coconut/cashew 250m1 diluted milk a pinch of salt ½ tsp vanilla 50g margarine (melted) Method 1. nutmeg and baking powder Stir in the milk until smooth 3. FRUIT COCKTAIL DESSERT 125 grams margarine 130 grams flour 100 grams sugar 180ml diluted milk 100 grams each chopped 2 tsp baking powder Pineapple. Add flour ingredients to the creamed margarine mixture and blend well. salt and baking powder together. Add the sugar. Pour into the pan with the melted margarine. Sieve well Add the raisins.67 Method 1. Remove syrup from heat and cool. 5. 6. 2. Makes 10 serving. and all spices in a separate bowl. Add vanilla. egg and milk. Mash the pawpaw chunks to smooth paste Add to the orange juice and sugar mixture. baking powder/soda. Add the remaining ingredient and mix together. 4. Arrange the filled cups in a around pan and add ½ inch level of water to the baking pans. pudding may be streamed on top of the cooker. Make 6 servings. Bake in 350 of pre-heated oven for 45 minutes 6. Cream margarine and sugar till fluffy. 3. orange and mango ½ tsp nutmeg Method 1. Melt margarine in a square or round cake pan 2. Alternatively. Bake pudding over medium heat till it is set (about 20mmutes). 5. Spoon into well-greased custard queen cake cups ¾ fullness. 6.
Cover the bowl and return to freezer and freeze till firm. 4. Serve in cocktail glasses. . Pour evaporated milk in a plastic bowl Place in the freezer till ice form around the side of the bowl 2.68 Method 1. Remove from freezer and whisk very well Add the sugar and whisk again 3. Fold the fruits into the whisked milk in the bowl.
ingredients. plastic or metal turntable. Rolling Pin: Wooden pan with non-absorbed surfaces for rolling out sugar paste and Fondant icings for decoration. 3. Pre-heat the oven to temperature (gas mark 3) specified by recipe. wooden spoon. aesthetic value and quality of cakes. 6. Sprinkle about 1 tbsp flour on all the greased surfaces of the pan and shake off excess flour to prevent cake from sticking to the pan after baking. Place the cooled cake in a cake board for the icing. DECORATING EQUIPMENT AND TOOLS The appropriate tools make it possible to create pleasing and stunning decoration as your skills develop. carrot cake. electric mixer. 5. wooden spoon. eggs. mixing bowls and spoon. Palette Knife: Stainless steel flat knife without shape edges which are used for spreading icing on cake surfaces. When baked. Pastry Brush: Used in brushing off loose crumbs from the caked cake before application of icing. To remove cake from the pan. remove cake from oven and let cool in the pan on a cake rack for 10 minutes. place the cooling rack over the top of the pan and urn both pan and cake over. Creaming gives better result. marking rings and cutters (plastic or metal). Consider method of mixing. Pastry Cloth/Rolling Pin Cloth (2 pieces) Canvas Cloth or smooth polythene which promotes even rolling without sticking when working with sugar paste or fondant icing. margarine. . egg beater. design rollers. Always defrost the cake completely before icing. Nozzles are available in different shapes and sizes. electric mixer. Set aside. 2. The main purpose of icing cakes is to enhance the beauty. sieve etc. 2. Cream the cake and mix to recipe directions. 2. Start by deciding on the type of cake desired. cake boards. decorating rule or comb. Smoothers: These are smooth surface plastics used for giving smooth finishes to the sides and tops of the cake coated with Fondant or sugar paste icing. Spread the batter evenly to the sides of the pan. (marble. 8. Place the cake in the pre-heated oven and bake according to temperature specified.69 Chapter Eight CAKE ICING Cake icing is a method of using very smooth sugar mixtures to add finishes and decoration to baked cakes. 6. Complete mixing of cake ingredients and pour butter into the greased and floured cake pan. Another important benefit of cake icing is that it serves as a means of developing ones creative skills and resourcefulness that brings about special feeling of satisfaction. The type of ingredients used and mixing technique. rich cake etc) and obtaining the ingredients specified by the recipe. 3. coffee. cake pans. decorating bags. 5. Lift the pan off carefully and let the cake cool completely for at least one hour. The following are some specialized pieces of cake decorating equipment: 1. 3. aluminum foil wrap. Different shapes are available according to cake pan sharp. Icing also contributes to the taste of the baked product and prevents loss of moisture. 4. For the decoration: Decorating syringes or tubes (plastic or metal). Scrapers: These are serrated edge triangular metal or plastic tools used for giving patterned surface to the sides and tops of cakes usually coated with royal or butter cream icing. 4. 8. icing colour kits. Success in cake icing depends on three major factors: 1. Skill in application of creative knowledge in designing special decorations. nozzles. rolling boards and pins. It should have soft natural brittles that should leave no marks when brushing. 7. Cake Board: Necessary for placing the cake. Place cake on the middle rack of the oven about and leave for 35-45 minutes until cake is tested with a skewer for doneness. spatulas or palette knife. Cake Baking Information 1. 3. It is available in plastic or foil scaled thick papers. cooling racks. For cake baking: Cake recipe. The right equipment 2. if frozen. zigzag ruler/comb etc. Piping Set: Plastic or metal piping tubes or bags with nozzles to fit used in making various decorative design on the coated cake. richness. 7. For the icing: Icing sugar. The only special tools needed are as follows: 1. scale and other measuring tools. The bottom may be lined with wax paper after greasing instead of flouring for easier removal of baked cake. The cake may be iced in about one and half hours after baking or it may be frozen up for up to three months in heavily wrapped foil before icing.
Mix Bowls: Plastic. 9. sifted icing sugar. 4. Add the glycerin and lemon juice. 10. Continue beating till the mixture is stiff but is of spreading consistency. 2. Icing can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days or even 3 weeks in air tight container.70 9. Beat well with a mixer or wooden spoon. 11. Icing can be used for piping and more 2tsp milk can be added to stiff icing to thin the icing. In a mixing bowl. 12. Add remaining sugar to make icing stiff if necessary. Add more sugar to make icing stiff if necessary. Brush off cake crumbs and position the cake properly on the cake board. gradually stir in sifted 900g icing sugar arid egg white. Apply sugar syrup or jam all over the surfaces of the cake. It Is usually expensive but use full for perfect finish. 5. BUTTER CREAM ICING 1kg icing sugar (sifted) 2 tsp vanilla essence 75ml tbsp milk (diluted) colouring One 8 inch diameter baked cake Jam or sugar syrup 1 tbsp lemon juice 250g soft butter or margarine/solid shortening Method 1. Spread the icing as second coating on the cake by following the steps for icing described in this chapter. 6. Measuring Tools: Items for measurement with easy-to-read measurements for both liquid and thy measurements. Stainless Steel/Sifter: This should be well designed to provide fast and Efficient sifting. Cream with wooden spoon or electric mixer. Separate egg white from the egg. Cutters: These are available in different shapes and sizes. 14. Sift the icing sugar. Reserve the remaining sugar. 15. 3. making sure none of the egg yolks get into the white and beat gently to stiffness. allow coatings to get dried and use stiffer consistency for piping desired decoration on the cake. Follow the icing tips presented in this book. Stainless Steel Whisks: Long egg whisks with solid handles provide good control and makes whisking easy. vanilla and half of the milk in a mixing bowl. They are useful in making decoration and flowers using sugar paste fondant icings and mexican or petal paste. using palette knife or spatulas. 3. 6. 2. These include cups. spoons. Use thin icing made by adding a little ½ tbsp egg white to 5 tbsp icing in a separate bowl and spread lightly all over the surface of the cake. 7. SUGAR PASTE ICING 1kg icing sugar (sifted) 3 ½ tbsp liquid glucose (warmed) Colouring Jam or syrup 2-2 ½ medium egg white 2 tbsp glycerin corn flour . Remove about 4 tbsp of the icing in another bowl and spread all over the cake surfaces as first coating over the cake. Cover and set aside for about 30 minutes. jugs and scale. 8. Use a pastry brush to remove loose crumbs from the cake. SUGGESTED ICING RECIPES ROYAL ICING 1kg (2 packs) icing sugar 1 ½ tbsp glycerin 2-3 drops of lemon juice 2 ½ (egg whites) few drops of colouring one 8 inch diameter baked cake Jam or sugar syrup Method 1. Re-beat the icing mixture and spread generously over the cake surface. The cake with sugar. For icing. Egg Separator: Plastic or aluminum tool which is efficient in quick separation the white and yolk portions of eggs in preparation of royal and sugar paste icing. 5. 7. Place the cake on a cake board. glass or stainless steel bowls that are easy to hold and is provide good support. Place margarine. 4. Set aside for it to dry in order to prevent the cake crumbs from appearing when the second coating is applied. Icing/Turntable: Metal or plastic cake stand that revolves ort urns particularly in icing or piping the sides of around cake with royal or buttercream icing. Gradually add the remaining milk and beat till the mixture is smooth and fluffy in consistency. syrup/jam for cake icing to stick well to the cake. 13.
ROLLED FONDANT ICING 1kg sifted icing sugar ½ sachet gelatin 30m1 cold water (2 tbsp) 60g liquid glucose (4 tbsp) I egg white 2tsp gum tragacanth 1 ½ tbsp shortening 200g cornstarch (for rolling) drop of food colouring as desired jam or sugar syrup. For decorative rolling. 4. Press and smoothen icing against all surfaces of the cake with palette knife or smoother. Attentively. Stir in the shortening and while shortening is not completed melting. As you roll. using a rolling pin on a clean board. Place the ball of icing on the floured board smooth of surface and knead continually mixture is soft and pliable. If fondant is too stiff. lift the flat icing sheet with spatulas and cover the syrup or jam coated cake. remove the mixture from heat and add drops of flavour or colouring if desired. . Let mixture stand and cool to lukewarm. Decorate with piping softer icing or cut out flowers and designs. Add the beaten egg white. a little at a time until the icing sugar are added. 4. Roll out the fondant in enough portions. 3. . Sprinkle extra sugar or corn flour on a rolling board and gather the mixture into a ball. Smooth and shape the fondant on the cake. glycerin and cold water in saucepan and stir well until thick. 2. Attaching ornaments and sugar beads if desired. liquid glucose. allow it to defrost and knead again until soft and pliable. lift the fondant and dust more corn starch powder to the fondant to prevent it ‘from sticking to board surface. Note: Alternatively. Coat cake surfaces with j am or syrup. Knead well. Gather the sugar and gelatin mixture into a firm ball. Pour the lukewarm gelatin mixture and gum into well of icing sugar and stir well with a wooden spoon. 3. Dusting corn starch powder or icing sugar on a flat surface. Method 1. 11. Gently. 2. leaves. Use cutters to make plaits. 5.71 Method 1. into a circle or square that fit the size of the diameter of the cake and double the height of the cake at once. 9. Trim excess from the base. 6. 6. 7. Always use fondant icing immediately or store in airtight containers in the refrigerator/freeze for several days before using. Mix icing sugar and gum together. Add the sugar and blend them very well. then place the paste in a plastic bag. Continue to knead until the ‘fondant is smooth. 12. 7. bring out from freezer. use same method of preparation to apply petal taste icing using these ingredients. 3. Keep fondant covered with a damp cloth to prevent a hard surface from forming. Mix in more sugar. Combine gelatin. flower or other designs such as board twists. Beat the egg white and glycerin in a bowl till frothy. 8. Leave paste in air tight container of room temperature for about & 12 hours before using. and water (a drop at a time) and if it is too soft. add the liquid glucose and water. 8. Place the mixture over low heat and heat until dissolved. using a wooden spoon until mixture is fully mixed up. 2. Gently lift the fondant over the rolling pin and place over the jam coated cake. use a pastry cloth to roll out icing for smooth finish. Now place half of the sifted icing sugar in a bowl and make a well. MEXICAN (PETAL) PASTE 1 kg king sugar (sifted) 1 ½ tsp gum tragacanth 4 tbsp liquid glucose 2 eggs whites! 8Oml water Cornstarch for rolling Method 1. 5. pliable and no longer sticks to the hands. knead the sugar mixture or fondant. 10. use a textured rolling pin to roll over the coated cake to give the design on the pin. add more icing sugar. using cake smoother. Roll out the icing on a sugar or corn flour dusted board as a flat sheet. When ready to use.
leaves. guide the decorating tip with the other hand. hold the decorating bag or tube at a slanting angle to the surface but not touching the cake. . chilling the cake first is recommended. A turntable or a turning cake stand makes it easier particularly for round cakes. 6. In the 900 angle. when planning for the cake. Always use enough of any colour because it is difficult to obtain the same icing colour later. it is important to have an idea of the cake design and the details you desire. Using a bread knife. flowers and stars stand out in the cake. (b) Spread across the whole top surface. (d) Ice evenly all over the top and all the sides till all surfaces are iced. Filling the decorating bag/syringe or tube: Use a palette knife/spoon to fill the bag or tube from the pushing end after coupling the desired decorating tip/nozzle. Allow first coat to dry (about 30 minutes or more). hold the tube or bag with nozzle pointing down and held perpendicular to the cake surface. Use clean and dry equipment. Choose desired or appropriate type of icing. Piping is very popular way of decorating. Start by leveling the surface to ensure that the top is even and not peaked. As a basic rule. Always use small amount of colour since food colours intensify and get sharper when mixed and with time. The basics of piping on iced cake include the following: 1. CAKE ICING PROCEDURE Icing is best on a cake when the cake has smooth texture and level surfaces. Use toothpick to add paste colour while liquid colouring in added is drops. In the 45° position. 3. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients. 2. Chilling the cake before it is iced also makes icing easier. Ensure that all necessary tools and equipment arc well assembled in order of use before icing is applie4i 11. (c) Pushing the excesses to the sides. pushing the icing towards the opening or nozzle. spread thin icing first on all the surfaces of the syrup-coated cake with a palette knife. Cakes baked the previous day are more easily decorated. Use good quality ingredients and avoid icing sugar that is already caked or solidified. To make this easier. Be sure not add much paste or liquid colour but always ensure to mix the colour thoroughly in the icing before adding more. Sieve the icing sugar before use for smoothness. 7. 1. trim off the crown or raised portions of the cake. 9. Making ones special design promotes creativity and originality. 5. check the recipe for rolled fondant icing. Decide on type of decoration to be done on the cake as well. 2. Fill the bag or tube half full of icing. stars. This can be done after the cake is completely cool. It involves the use of piping set (decorating bag or syringe). 4. follow these guidelines. ensuring that the palette knife does not get too close to the cake so that the icing does not catch the crumbs. 3. Coat the surfaces of the cake with apricot jam or sugar syrup. After trimming off invert the cake on a board and use a pastry brush to remove all the loose crumbs. You can use any cake design book or make your own sketches of the type if arrangement that is needed. For royal icing and butter cam icing.72 GENERAL RULES FOR ICING 1. Start icing from the top of the cake by: (a) Placing a large amount of icing on the centre of the top (for royal and butter cream icing). 5. To achieve good decoration. Boarders of cake need medium of consistency for ease in squeezing out the icing. Apply a little pressure to the palette knife and smoothen the top last. flowers and shell designs require stiff icing consistency. Positioning of the bag/syringe to pipe: there are two basic ways of positioning the decoration tube-the 90 angle and the 45 angle. sugar paste etc. apply pressure with the other hand that follows next. Flavouring may be added to the icing if necessary 10. Colour is what gives icing beauty and personality so that the cake boarders. 4. Away practice the decoration on another surface before applying directly to icing coated cake. DECORATION TECHNIQUES Decorations are essential in making the cake attractive and unique. Freshly baked cakes tend to crumble and flake off their crumbs. Consistency: This is a very important aspect in determining the shape of the piping that should look right and attractive. When mixing. For fondant icing. Give a smooth finish. 2. Before making decorations. 8. With one hand. 3. a few drops of blue colour or lemon juice can be used to whiten the icing.
Apply pressure to squeeze the icing as the hand is moved in a side to side motion which forms the zigzags. letter and numbers. Pull tip way. When dry. Such twists can be used as boarders. and heavy pressure. zigzag and rosettes or drop flowers. pulling tip away to form the shell’s tail. Shell nozzle has serrated curved opening which is used for making shells. They are identified according to the shape of the openings on the nozzles or sizes in an icing set. 2. use the leaf nozzle and hold the tube a t 4 5 ° angle and follow the same procedure as for making shells. For a row of shells. Using cutters for roses. Softer fondant or butter cream icing is used to attach the flower or other designs to the iced cake. 2. use the plain round nozzle used for dots to write. or b. lift the tip of the nozzle slightly to let icing build up the fan into a full base. DECORATION NOZZLE TYPES There are many popular tips or nozzle of various sizes used for a variety of decorating techniques. shells. Shell: To make shell. To make the above mentioned techniques follows these tips: 1. Writing: To print or write words. Ornaments. stems of flowers. 5. . Making Decoration with Cutters To make decorations with rolled fondant or sugar paste icing. The shapes are usually cut out and left to dry before being pasted on the iced cake. 1. Stars: In order to make stars. lines. Dots/balls: To make dots. Zigzag: To make zigzag. the bigger the opening. Relax and stop the pressure. hold the plain round tip at 900 angle with the tip slightly touching the surface of the iced caked. beads and outline of shapes. start another shell on the tail of the previous one. ribbons and live lowers may also be added as decoration. Use this nozzle to print horizontal lines. beads and balls. 6. 3. To do this hold the decorating tube at 45° angle and push out icing and the letters are formed. making dots. 4. Apply a little pressure to press out the icing and pull the tip away and the star is formed. Check diagram in the book on directions. vertical lines and vary lines by moving the nozzle in straight lines. use special metal or plastic cutters. 4. stars or other shapes. flowers like small rose and basket weave. 3. You may first form the letter/words using toothpick or cut-out to mark the positions of the letters or word on the cake surface. rope boarders and puffs. Twist the end of the bag closed. Round nozzle has plain round opening and comes in various sizes. Leaf nozzle had side slits and a deep v-opening which is used for making plain and ruffled leaf. Press out the icing with enough pressure to build the bead of ball as for stars. Ropes can be made by hand twisting long strips of hand rolled icing of two or three different colours. With the other hand. This nozzle is used for writing messages. Butter cream or royal icing can be also be used in combination with rolled fondant in decorating the cake. c. 2. hold the tube with one hand at 45° angle (slanting) with nozzle above cake surface. the larger he decoration. The most common types are as follows: 1. bows. Ribbon/Rose nozzle has a tear shaped opening and is used to make ribbons. You may also write straight unto he cake surface. using butter cream icing. As the decorating tube is filled with icing and held in position (900 or 45°angle) on the cake surface: a. 4. hold the star nozzle at45° angle with tip of nozzle slightly touching the iced cake surface. Leaf: To make a leaf.73 4. 3. cut many shapes and place them on a floured surface for them to dry. Star nozzle with star-shaped opening is used for making stars. Follow these guidelines in making cut-out patterns decoration. 5. Prepare rolled fondant icing and roll out on the flat surface. Push in the handle of the tube in order to squeeze out the icing through the nozzles on the cake surface. Control and stop applying pressure when the decoration is created. attach the cut outs to their position on the cake. Apply pressure and control in piping: The type and size of decoration that is piped depends on the size of opening in the decoration nozzle and the amount of pressure applied. 5. hold the tube of 900 angle with the surface of the cake.
The Process Approach. Oxford. Tiger Books International. Hong Kong: Ohenheimer Publishers. Merehurst (2000) Beginners Guide to Cake Decorating: www.England The Broadwater Press Ltd..0 (2002) Food Preparation and Service. Mc Cormick &conpany (1991) Mc Cormick Cook Book. E. England.Wright. Kemt. Stephenson. Oxford University Press. Wilton Enterprises (1987) Cake Decorating.T. Octopus Books (1976) A-z of Cooking London Evans Brothers Ltd.A. Culpitt. E. (1990) Practical Cookery.merehurst. Illinois-U. Henson. Wisconsin. (1 994) The Complete Cook London. Warn. G. Wiltonn Enterprises. Ferguson. Ilodder and Stonghton Education Ltd. .74 REFERENCES Ceserain.com Ochonogor. (1990) Creative Cake Decorating Made Easy Heart Fortishire. Ideals Publishing Corporation.S. Stanley Thomas Publishing Ltd. (1981) Basic Cookery. . Patricia (1984) Family Cookbook. and Kinton R. O’ Reilly. V. J.A Beginner’s Guide.COEWA Publishers. (1985) The Students Cookery Book.
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue reading from where you left off, or restart the preview.