You are on page 1of 2

Troops and Vets can still File for Stop Loss Pay

Last week the Department of Defense released a statement reminding Service members and Veterans that the deadline for Retroactive Stop Loss Payments(RSLP) is fast approaching. This is not an automatic entitlement, benet or allowance. Eligible Service members and Veterans must le a claim by October 21, 2011 to receive this benet. The 2009 War Supplemental Appropriations Act authorizes Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay of $500 per month for each month or any portion of a month during the period specied that the current or former Soldier, Marine, Sailor, and Airman was retained on active duty as a result of of Stop Loss. The act applies to service members Stop Lossed during the period starting 11 September 2001 and ending 30 September 2009. Last year, Congress and Defense Department Ofcials pushed back the ling deadline to October 21, 2011. Barring Congressional action, this appears to be the nal deadline Service members and Veterans can apply for RSLP payments of $500 per month they were Stop-Lossed. Chairmen of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Mike Mullen stated, The application process is simple and straightforward. No strings attached. But once the deadline passes, we cannot by law extend itIts your money.

Eligible Service members and Veterans should visit their specic services web site and submit their application on-line. When applying on-line each submission provides a claim number, allows for automated status updates, and provides a means for the military service to contact the applicant. For those without internet access, complete and sign Department of Defense Form 2944, Claim for Retroactive Stop Loss Payment. Next, submit this form and your documentation to your appropriate Service. You will need the following documents in order to le your claim: DD 214 (8-09), Certicate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty and/or DD 215 (8-09), Correction to DD 214, Certicate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. Personnel record or enlistment or reenlistment document recording original expiration of service date. Approved retirement/transfer to the Fleet Reserve memorandum or orders establishing retirement prior to actual date of retirement as stipulated in DD 214 or DD 215. Approved resignation memorandum or transition orders establishing a separation date prior to actual date of separation as stipulated on DD 214 or DD 215. Signed documentation or afdavit from knowledgeable ofcials from the individuals chain of command acknowledging separation/deployment, etc. Revocation of retirement or separation orders. Visit the Ofce of Wounded Warrior Care and Transition Policy for service-specic sites that provide more information and allow you to begin the RSLP claim process. Arturo Murguia is Special Assistant for the Ofce to the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense, Wounded Warrior Care & Transition Policy.