Procedure Handbook Classroom Reference Guide
Hello! Welcome to Mrs. Schaff’s class! We are going to have so much fun this year learning new things, getting better at being organized, and making new friends. There are a few things we all have to do in order to make our classroom run smoothly. Please take a moment to glance through my classroom procedures. If at any time we need to check and see how something is done, we can look back in the book to make sure we are following the proper procedures. When students forget procedures, it means they need more practice. I will ask them to look in the manual to find out what they should be doing. I know we are going to have an un”bee”lievable year! ☺
List of procedures and page number
Start of the day routine Pencil sharpening Morning work Morning meeting Bathroom and drinks Asking a question While others are talking Exiting the classroom Entering the classroom Walking in the hall Turning papers in Homework BEE binders Packing up Exiting at the end of the day Show and tell Classroom supplies Classroom jobs & King/Queen Bee Consequences Rewards Book boxes 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Start of the Day Routine
1. Greet Mrs. Schaff in the hallway. 2. Hang up your backpack on the back hook, your coat on the front hook and, if you have a cold lunch, put your lunch on the shelf above your hooks. Please hang your things up on your assigned hook! No belongings should be on the top shelf. 3. Turn in your BEE binder if it is Monday or the day after a break. 4. Make your lunch choice and Daily Five choices. 5. Sharpen 2 pencils and be ready to start the day when the second bell rings at 8:25! 6. Start on your morning work.
1. Sharpen 2 pencils in the morning. 2. If your lead breaks during the day and you do not have another pencil, you may borrow one from the cup or use a hand held sharpener. 3. You may not sharpen using the electric sharpener at any time other than at the beginning of the day. 4. You may not sharpen while Mrs. Schaff is giving direct instruction.
1. This is quiet time. 2. You will have a new assignment on your desk to complete each day. 3. You will have 20 minutes to complete your morning work. 4. If you finish early, work on unfinished work if you have any and then READ If Mrs. Schaff gives you READ. corrections do those.
1. Each day, we will all move to our meeting area to begin
2.Morning Meeting is an important way for us to learn and
have fun together. In order to make this possible, you MUST follow the rules for Morning Meeting.
3. We say good morning to each other and participate in an
4. We have a positive attitude. 5.We listen to each other. This means we do not talk when
our friends are talking. We do not talk when Mrs. Schaff is talking.
6. We participate!
This means listening, participating in activities, and responding to questions. We’ll try to sit by a different friend each day.
7. We are all friends.
8.When Morning Meeting is over, you are responsible to
move to your seat quickly and quietly so we can begin our next activity.
Bathroom & Drinks
1. You may ask for permission to use the bathroom as long as Mrs. Schaff is not giving direct instruction. This means, during a lesson you need to wait until Mrs. Schaff is done giving directions or talking. 2. Raise your hand and hold up one finger to ask for permission and wait for a response. 3. You will need to put the “Bathroom Buddy” on your desk. This way I will know where you are and your classmates will know if there is anyone in the bathroom. 4. Then sign out by putting your name and the time on the Clock Out Clipboard. 5. When you are done, wash your hands and put the “Bathroom Buddy” back and mark your return time on the clipboard. 6. You may ask for a drink by holding up four fingers and waiting for a response. You do not need to sign out for water.
Asking a Question
1. Raise your hand (five fingers) for permission to speak, quietly. When we call out, no one can hear what anyone else is saying! 2. If I see your hand, I know you have a question and I will give you time to ask. You do not need to wave your hand in the air or make noises. This is distracting to me and to other students. 3. Mrs. Schaff will let you know when it is a calling out time and when it is a raise your hand time. Please listen to find out what “time” it is!
When Another Student Is Talking
1. We all want to be respected and heard. This is why when another student is talking to the class during a lesson we all will look at this student and listen to them. Everyone has such great ideas and it is important that we hear everyone! 2. We do not play in our desks when others are talking. We do not talk to our neighbors when others are talking. We are a community of students who know how to make responsible and respectful choices that we can be proud of!
P a g e 10
Exiting the Classroom
1. When it is time to leave the room, Mrs. Schaff will ask you to line up. Please do not line up until you are asked to do so. This is true even of the line leader. Problems lining up will result in us having to line up in our student number order. 2. We wait in line quietly. When everyone is ready to walk in the halls, we will leave the room.
P a g e 11
Entering the Classroom
1. We enter the classroom quietly. Please come in and go to your seat. Mrs. Schaff will give you instructions when everyone is seated. 2. This is an excellent time to earn a clip up or a smilie.
P a g e 12
Walking Down the Hall
1. Other students are learning and we do not have the right to take that away from them. We walk down the hall quietly. We are responsible students who respect the rights of students who are learning. 2. We walk on the right hand side of the hallway and stay in a line, one student behind the other. 3. There is usually a line leader. The line leader will walk first with Mrs. Schaff and the caboose will be at the end of the line. 4. Being appropriate in line means: keep your hands to yourself – arms folded (this means no touching other students’ work in the hallway!), keep your shoes on your feet, walk, and stay behind the person in front of you. We are all going to the same place, so there is no need to push and rush! 5. Failure to walk appropriately in the halls means we will line up in student number order.
P a g e 13
Turning In Papers
1. All completed assignments will always go in the black baskets on the desk in front of Mrs. Schaff’s desk. 2. Make sure that your paper gets into the correct basket. 3. Please place your paper so that it is neatly in the basket facing the same direction as the other papers. 4. Do NOT bring your paper to me! They need to be put in the basket. 5. You must put your name, number, and date on all assignments. This way, I know which good work is yours and we can keep track of how you grow and change in your work habits by looking at assignment dates!
P a g e 14
1. You are expected to complete your spelling, math, and reading homework each night. 2. Homework sheets must be returned on Fridays. 3. Students who choose not to complete homework, will be required to do their homework during their recess if necessary.
P a g e 15
1. You have been given a BEE binder to use this year in Mrs. Schaff’s class. 2. You must bring it to school on Mondays and take it home on Fridays. 3. If you forget your BEE two days in a row, you will stay in from recess to write a reminder note for yourself. Your parents will need to sign your note and help you look for your BEE. 4. If you lose your BEE, you will be responsible for replacing it.
P a g e 16
1. You may not pack up until Mrs. Schaff has made announcements and checked your Behavior Choices Calendar! 2. Take your belongings off your hooks and go back to your seat. 3. If you brought your lunch, don’t forget to take your lunchbox home. 4. If it is Friday, place your BEE in your backpack. 5. If Mrs. Schaff gives you notes or things to take home, put them in your backpack. 6. Wait quietly while others pack up. This will help pack up time go quickly so we can move on to new things! 7. After we pray, Mrs. Schaff will ask you to put up your chair carefully. 8. If we get ready quickly and quietly, we may have time for show and tell.
P a g e 17
Exiting At the End of the Day
1. Mrs. Schaff will ask you to put your coat and backpack on. The bell does not ring until 2:50. Mrs. Schaff knows how to tell time and she will not make you late for a bus or a parent pick-up! Don’t worry! 2. Listen for Mrs. Schaff to ask you to line up at the door. 3. When the bell rings, please say goodbye to Mrs. Schaff. You need to exit the building on the right side of the hallway…remember that’s the side we walk on! 4. Do not push past others or hurry. Let adults, kindergartners and first graders go before you.
P a g e 18
Show and Tell
1. You will be assigned a special week to be the “Bee of the Week”. 2. During your special week you will get to bring in items to share with the class. (Only one item may be a toy.) 3. You are responsible for the items you bring to school. Don’t bring anything that you will be sad if you lose or is broken. You are not allowed to take your items to recess, specials, or lunch. You may not keep your items on your desk. 4. After your sharing, your items MUST go back into your backpack. If something is too big, you must put it behind Mrs. Schaff’s desk. Mrs. Schaff will take your items from you if you do not follow this procedure.
P a g e 19
1. You will keep most of the supplies you’ve brought to school in your desk. Some Mrs. Schaff will collect. Extra pencils and glue sticks will go into a special pocket with your number on it. 2. If you need to borrow crayons, markers, or colored pencils, please give them back when you are done! You must ask about markers. We do not use them often!
P a g e 20
Classroom Jobs & King/Queen Bees
1. Each week two students will be picked by Mrs. Schaff to be the King and Queen Bees. Mrs. Schaff will keep track of who gets a turn so don’t worry! 2. The King and Queen will be Mrs. Schaff’s helpers all throughout the week. Their duties include: leading the Pledge of Allegiance and prayers, passing out papers and supplies, being the line leader and caboose, running errands, and bagging trash at the end of the day from the second grade rooms. 3. If the King or Queen need help, get behind in work or are absent, Mrs. Schaff will pick someone else to help out. 4. Our classroom depends on everyone pitching in to help things run smoothly and stay organized. It is each person’s job to keep their own space clean and organized.
P a g e 21
1. Sometimes we make mistakes, and that’s okay! The first time a rule or procedure is broken, you will receive a warning. That means Mrs. Schaff will remind you about what you should be doing. She may ask you to use the Procedure Handbook to figure out what the right choice is. 2. The second time it happens, you will move a clip down and if you end up on yellow on the Clip Chart you will lose 5 minutes of recess to rehearse proper procedure. 3. If it happens again, you will move to orange on the Clip Chart and miss 10 minutes of recess to rehearse proper procedure. This form must be returned signed by mom and/or dad the next day. 4. If you get to red on the Clip Chart you miss all of your recess and fill out a “Think About It” form. The form goes home for your parents to see and sign. It must be returned to school the next day!
P a g e 22
1. Thanks for making good choices! You get to move clips up for good choices. Mrs. Schaff will tell you when to move a clip up. Do not ask! 2. If you end the day at the top of the Clip Chart, pink/Outstanding, you will get a special sticker to wear home to show your parents. 3. If you are at green or above all week you will earn a “Bee-havior Buck”. 4. The best reward is getting to feel good about yourself and your choices!
P a g e 23
1. You have been given a book box to store the books that you are reading. 2. You may NOT store books from our class library or school library in your desk: put them in your book box. This will help them stay in good condition. 3. During the day if you have time to read, please choose a book from your box. 4. Your Daily Five supplies will also be stored in your book box.
P a g e 24