This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
, VAPI VNSGU University, SURAT
Medicinal uses of TULSI
The tulsi is worshipped largely and it is very important symbol in the Hindu religious tradition. Tulsi plant has lots of significance for mankind. Leaves of this plant are widely used in the preparation of Ayurvedic medicines. Its plants extracts are used for curing various diseases such as the common cold, inflammation, malaria, heart disease, headaches, stomach disorders, kidney stones, heart disorders, and many more. The Indian basil Tulsi plant helps in the purification of atmosphere. Varieties of tulsi . Krishna Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum) . Rama Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum) . Vana Tulsi (Ocimum gratissimum) Certain uses of Tulsi plant are as : Fever & Common Cold
During rainy season tulsi leaves boiled along with tea gives protection against malaria and dengue fever. Tulsi leaves when boiled with half a litre of water and cardamom and mixed with sugar and milk helps to brings down the temperature of fever. Coughs: During cold and flu chewing tulsi leaves gives lots of relief. Sore Throat: In case of sour throat water boiled with tulsi leaves can be taken. This water can even be used for gargle. Respiratory Disorder: Crushed Tulsi leaves along with honey and ginger is helpful for bronchitis, asthma, influenza, cough and cold. A decoction of the leaves, cloves and common salt boiled in half a liter of water and only half of the water is left which when given in influenza gives relief. Kidney Stone: Juice of tulsi leaves and honey taken regularly for 6 months helps to remove kidney stones through urinary tract. Heart Disorder: To reduce the level of blood cholesterol 10-12 leaves should be chewed daily. Stress: To prevent stress 10-12 leaves of basil tulsi can be chewed twice a day . It even purifies the blood . Mouth Infections: A few leaves chewed regularly are quit effective for treatment of ulcers and infections in the mouth. Insect Bites:
(1) Fresh juice of leaves should be applied on affected parts of insect bites. (2) One teaspoonful of the juice of the leaves taken repeatedly after a few hours gives relief. (3) Even a paste of fresh roots is effective in of bites leeches. Teeth Disorder: (1) Leave for brushing teeth can be used after drying and powdering them. Even dried leaves mixed with mustered oil is used as toothpaste which is very good for dental health, stops bad breath and for massaging the gums.
(2) That paste is also useful in pyorrhea and other teeth disorders. Headaches: Leaves are dried and powdered than mixed with sandalwood paste can also be applied on the forehead for getting relief from heat, headache, and for providing coolness in general. Eye Disorders: Two drops of black basil juice put into the eyes daily at bedtime is effective for sore eyes and night-blindness, which is caused due to deficiency of vitamin A. ROLE OF TULSI IN CURING WOMEN DISEASES:
1. Mix 2 gms of gum of a neem tree, ajwan seeds, tamal patra, and equal
amount of five parts of the Tulsi plant. Make a powder of it. This powder is then boiled in 100 gms of water till one-fourth of the water remains. It is cooled. Then by taking this water excessive bleeding can be reduced. 2. Starting from the day of menstruation half a glass of water boiled with Tulsi leaves is taken for each of the three days, the probability of conception is greatly reduced. 3. By the applying paste of Van Tulsi over the abdomen and the breasts of a pregnant woman it gives relief on Itching of the skin.
4. Application of medicated oil prepared with 125 gms of Van Tulsi leaves in 500 gms of seasame oil previously subjected to the process of `moorchhana`, relieves the pains associated with confinement. 5. Tulsi seeds soaked overnight in water and then crush well in the morning. This preparation when taken with sugar relieves the pains consequent upon delivery. 6. To improve the quality of breast milk if the woman is given a mixture of 20 gms of Tulsi juice, 20 gms of the juice of maize leaves, 10 gms of the juice-or extract-`Of asgandh (ashwagandha) along with 10 gms of honey, for seven days following delivery. 7. To cure Leucorrhoea 20 gms of Tulsi juice with rice water can be taken but while taking it intake of rice, milk or ghee should be avoided. 8. To stop the bleeding of the internal lining of the stomach regular use of powdered roots of Tulsi enfolded in betel leaves should be taken. 9. Tulsi makes the uterus healthy and strong. 10.Regular periods can be restored by 125 gms of Tulsi seeds, black seasame seeds, tender shoots of the cotton plant, tender shoots of bamboo plants and 220 gms of aged jaggery mixed with the powder.
11. Drinking Tulsi juice will reduce the severity of labour pains.
ROLE OF TULSI IN CURING MAN DISEASES:
1. Tulsi juice added to twice quantity of grape juice, sugarcane juice or 2.
coconut milk when drunk cures urination problem. To prevent nocturnal emissions soak 10 gms of Tulsi seeds overnight in water in an earthen pot. Grind them well in the morning with 15 almond kernels and 16 small cardamoms. Add sugar as required and drink the mixture. Even small pieces of Tulsi roots are chewed with betel leaves for nocturnal emissions. For thinness of seminal fluid take 50 gms of Tulsi leaves, 40 gms of musli, 40 gms of the pods of poshi, 30 gms of kavach seeds, 50 gms of gokhru (small caltrops) and 60 gms of sugar. Grind to a fine powder. Take 10 gms of this powder with cow`s milk every day. 15 gms of Tulsi seeds with 30 gms of aged sugar syrup taken every morning and evening helps in of thinness of the seminal fluid.
6. Mix five gms each of Tulsi seeds, sudhamooli, small cardamom seeds,
musli and white gokhru, and powder them. Take five gms with sugar and milk every morning and evening. 7. To stop premature ejaculation cut tulsi roots into thin slices and take them with betel leaves. 8. Treat sujak, a urinary disease with five gms each of Tulsi seeds, seeds of small cardamoms and nitre powdered together. Five gms swallowed with milk diluted with double quantity of water. 9. Prepare a smooth paste by grinding Tulsi seeds with a little water. Boil the paste with twice the amount of neem oil till it turns black. Apply the oil on the sores caused by syphilis and other sores and wounds too. 10. Tulsi seeds yield a very sticky paste, which is useful in disorders of the urinary tract. 11. Soak 5 gms of Tulsi seeds overnight in 125 gms of water and smash them in the morning and drink it. It is beneficial in gonorrhoea, thinness of seminal fluid, dysuria. 12. Mix Tulsi seeds and jaggery and roll them into pea-sized pills. Take one pill every morning and evening along with cow`s milk for four months. There will be an increase in the rate of formation of semen, the blood vessels will be strengthened, digestion will improve and impotency can be cured. 13. To treat the pains caused by stones in the bladder, burning sensation while passing urine and inflammation in the perineal region tulsi seeds ground with cumin seeds and sugar can be taken. 14.Crushed Tulsi seeds taken with honey will cure all abnormalities of the genital system. 15. Regular use of Tulsi seeds eliminates pain accompanying urination. 16.Powdered Shyam Tulsi mixed with lemon juice, if taken regularly, cures all abnormalities of the urinary system. 17. A mixture of equal parts of the powder of Tulsi leaves dried, powdered methi seeds and powdered ashwagandha, taken with cow`s milk is also an effective remedy for gonorrhoea. Even also improves the quality of the seminalfluid. ROLE OF TULSI IN CURING DISEASES IN CHILDREN :
1. 2 gms of Tulsi juice taken three to four times a day will prevent all types
of sickness and maintains children’s health. 2. Tulsi juice can be be spreaded on the chest and forehead in case of fever caused by cold. Even a teaspoonful of the juice with half a teaspoonful of
honey can be given. The child should be made to inhale the vapours coming from the juice. 3. If the child brings up worms with its vomit, or excretes worms with faeces, give a little powdered vavding, kakcha or himej with 10 of Tulsi juice two or three times a day. 4. If an infant develops a cough, 5 gms of Tulsi leaves, 5 gms of kakdashingi and 5 gms of ativish buds crushed together, made into a paste and mix with honey and the mother`s milk. Give this to infant who develops cough. 5. Cough can also be cured by mixing Tulsi juice with jethi madh (yashti madhu) juice. 6. A mixture of Tulsi leaf juice and kasondara leaf juice can also be given for curing cough. 7. In malaria, boil 10 gms of Tulsi leaves, 10 gms of methi seeds and 5 gms of kadu twigs in 50 gms of water till only one-fourth of the water remains. Cool and strain and give to children. 8. If the baby is suffering from abdomen gas 5 to 10 gms of Tulsi juice is given to a baby. 9. Powder of Tulsi leaves along with pomegranate syrup in case of diarrhoea accompanying teething can be given to the child. 10.Massaging the gums with Tulsi leaf juice mixed with honey will help the baby cut its teeth easily, without the usual troubles associated with teething. 11. 5 to 10 drops of Tulsi leaf juice given with water every day will strengthen the muscles and bones of the infant. 12. 30 to 60 drops of a mixture of 15 gms of Tulsi leaf juice, 15 gms of honey, 5 gms of ginger juice and 5 gms of powdered ajwan seeds taken regularly cures influenza. 13. Mix 200 gms of Tulsi leaf juice in 125 gms of water and boil the liquid mixture for one hour on a low flame. Add this preparation in 500 gms of thick sugar syrup and then mix it properly. Give 3-5 gms of this syrup to a child which will help to cure fever, cough and shortness of breath. 14. If there is a whistling sound heard from the lungs because of the accumulation of cough give milk in which Tulsi leaves have been boiled. 15. Grind 10 gms of Tulsi leaves and 10 gms of peepar together and make small pills. Give 3 or 4 pills to a child every day which will cure coughs, including whooping cough. 16. To reduce some of the fat of child powdered bark of Tulsi given with honey gives the best result.
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue listening from where you left off, or restart the preview.