You are on page 1of 40


One of the rich pieces of history and heritage in central Louisiana is found in the setting of Mount Olivet Cemetery. Entering the gates, visitors are greeted by the historic Mount Olivet Chapel, originally built in 1858 and fully restored to her original condition in 2009 and at which time was rededicated as a place of worship. Within the cemetery, hours can be spent in studying and reflecting upon the history of those who have been laid to rest here and in the discovery of many famous names of the past. I am personally indebted to the faculty and students of Louisiana College for their labor and extensive study in preparing this invaluable guide for those desiring to journey back through time and learn more about those who lived and died during the Civil War era. It is my prayer that you will find this work to be informative and fascinating, and that it will assist you in your journey through this magnificent setting in Pineville, Louisiana.

The Rt. Rev’d D. Bruce MacPherson, D.D. Third Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Western Louisiana

After the founding generation, the Americans who fought in the Civil War sacrificed the most in the pursuit of liberty and freedom. A group of them who fought in that war are buried in the beautiful cemetery of Mount Olivet Chapel in Pineville, Louisiana. A great many volunteered for military service to their community, to defend their new Confederate nation, and to provide for the common defense. Their story is tied to the construction of the Episcopal Chapel that has graced Main Street, Pineville beginning in 1858. Following the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, American settlers poured into the new territory of the Red River Valley. Families established both plantations and farms based on slave labor. Along with their worldly possessions these Americans brought their faith in God. The Protestant churches, especially the Baptists and Methodists, began building congregations in the decades before the war. The Episcopalians took on more organization with the appointment of a new leader. Leonidas Polk came to Louisiana in 1841 as a missionary bishop to expand the Episcopal faith in all regions of the state. At the time only a ferry connected the towns of Pineville and her sister river town of Alexandria across the Red. St. James Episcopal Church provided worship for its community there. The Reverend Amos D. McCoy who served as Rector at St. James saw the need for a chapel in both Pineville nearby and further south in Cheneyville. The plans chosen for the Pineville chapel came from none other than Richard Upjohn of New York, among the most famous church builders of the 1850s. The Gothic style chosen for the building was very much in vogue at the time for churches and homes around the nation. Many southern plantations constructed in the 1850s share the architecture. The sharp roof line reminiscent of a cathedral, crosses adorning the top, and pointed stain glass windows are only a few of the prominent elements making Mount Olivet Gothic. Mrs. McCoy led the fund raising efforts. She taught a private school and donated a little over half of the $1,300 needed for construction. All the pinewood lumber and oak for the floors came from local timber provided by a Major Huie. Mr. Charles Schrader, Theodore Schaedel and Christian Baden hammered and nailed the boards together. The construction finished in a short time. On June 29, 1859 Bishop Polk himself consecrated the building for Jesus Christ. He mentioned the sacrifices made in raising the funds from a community of lesser means, how women did much of the organizing, and that the Chapel would carry out the great commission Christ gave at the end of the Book of Matthew. Bishop Polk remarked at the consecration, “This building was erected by self-denial and stands as a monument testifying to the capabilities of womanly influence when directed by the desire simply to honor God and do good to men.” Not long after it was in use for worship, Louisiana seceded from the Union in January of 1861. The war began and many local men volunteered for Confederate service. Bishop Polk who had attended West Point and become friends with Jefferson Davis became a Major General of volunteers. Five years after he visited Mount Olivet to the month and nearly to the day, he would die a terrible death during the Atlanta

campaign. He was felled by a cannon shot on the top of Pine Mountain, Georgia. The men who lived around Mount Olivet fought in far away places from Virginia to Tennessee and also in their own community during the Red River Campaign of 1864. Sixty-two men who fought in the Civil War are buried at Mount Olivet. A few others who are resting there may have served but their participation can not be confirmed at this time. The majority of the men fought for the Confederacy and just two or three fought for the Union. Nearly all who are buried in the cemetery survived the war and those veterans were buried in their final resting place in the decades after the conflict ended in 1865. Those who marched off and became casualties were usually buried on the spot or sometimes were shipped to home cemeteries. As it turns out only one of the men on this list died in battle, Major Canfield. The majority of the veterans had been born in the 1840s (1838-1846 was the largest grouping of the men based on their birthdates). All were thus young men for the war. One was only 17 years old at the time of his service; the oldest was in his mid-40s. Nearly 30 of these Confederate volunteers served with the Army of Tennessee or other Confederate forces in the western theater of operations. Many saw their first taste of combat at the bloody battle of Shiloh and a great many fought and surrendered at Vicksburg in 1863. Approximately 15 of them fought in the Red River campaign which came to the area in 1864. Major Canfield who fell during the Battle of Mansfield in 1864 is the first Civil War veteran buried at the cemetery. Another 15 men on this list are confirmed veterans who fought in the Army of Northern Virginia under Robert E. Lee or Stonewall Jackson. At least three and perhaps more fought at Gettysburg. Others are listed in records as being present with the Confederate army for the surrender at Appomattox. While Major Canfield was the first to die, those who lived after the war began passing almost every year after 1865 especially in the late 1870s, late 1880s, and by far the largest number of the veterans buried at the cemetery died between 1898 and 1914. Two lived until 1931, the latest date of death of any of them. They were from all occupations and nearly all appeared to live successful lives after the conflict. In the spring of 1864, 30,000 Union forces and a navy came up the river in March and April of that year for the aforementioned Red River campaign. They were halted at Mansfield by an attack directed by General Richard Taylor. The Union forces under the command of Nathaniel Banks burned Alexandria to the ground upon their retreat from the area in May. Mount Olivet survived the war. The chapel escaped destruction perhaps because it was used as a headquarters for the Union Army. Soldiers stationed at the site, it is said, relieved their boredom by taking rifle shots at a young man named Jonas Rosenthal who ran through the cemetery as a Confederate courier coming and going with reports on Union activity. After the war, Mount Olivet was used as a school and Dr. Anthony Vallas, a licensed larder and deacon also a former professor at the Louisiana State Seminary [LSU] before it was closed by the Civil War, held a few services there. Mount Olivet was considered a chapel of St. James Episcopal Church, until September 1, 1873, when the congregation was organized as a separate parish under the name of St. Peter's Church, which lasted until 1880 when it once more became a mission of St. James and resumed the name of Mount Olivet. The building was used as

a school and a community center. Before the Baptists built their own church in Pineville they used the chapel as a Sunday school. In 1910, Emma Gray, widow of the Reverend John Gray, Vicar of Christ Church Mission, raised funds to put on a new roof, paint the church, and install the first stained glass windows. The windows came from a St. Louis company. During the period between 1920 and 1946, other stained glass windows were made and brought the Chapel to its current appearance. Mount Olivet continued as a mission of St. James. In 1946, the congregation became a parish under the name of Mount Olivet. Dr. Fayette C. Ewing gave funds for the construction of the adjoining parish house. It remained a parish unto itself until September 19, 1966, when the congregation moved into a new church on Edgewood Drive, changing the name to St. Michael's Episcopal Church. Mount Olivet Chapel remained the property of St. James and was used as an office for the Episcopal Hospital Chaplaincy. St. James donated the Mount Olivet Chapel and attached parish house to the Episcopal Diocese of Louisiana in 1972. When the diocese divided in 1980, the headquarters of the Bishop of the newly formed Episcopal Diocese of Western Louisiana was established at the parish house. The site of what was to be the Mount Olivet Cemetery had been a burial ground at least since the 1820s. St. James Church has owned and supervised the site since 1858. A church committee manages an endowment fund for the general maintenance. The name of Mount Olivet Cemetery appears earliest in minutes written in June of 1858. It was estimated that there was about six acres of land purchased at that time for a price of $700. There are no records of the cost of grave sites or cost of a square which could contain as many as 12 graves. A look at the early plots will show that many families were buying a whole or half square. However, on July 25, 1893, the Vestry passed a motion that provided that Lot. No. 59 be set aside for single graves and the price be fixed at $5.00 each. The oldest grave is dated with a death date of 1824. For several decades the cemetery filled before the chapel was built and internments around the chapel were still taking place into the 21st Century. People of many faiths and races were and are welcomed and buried there. The early pioneers and prominent citizens of the community will be found on the tombstones: Gov. Thomas O. Moore, Louisiana's secessionist governor who is on this list rests there; Dr. Thomas Maddox, a participant in the Sandbar duel that involved Jim Bowie; Henry Hardtner, internationally known as the "Father of Reforestation;" George W. Bolton, founder of Rapides Bank and prime mover behind getting Louisiana College to Pineville; Edgar McCormick and Henarie Huie, the two founders of the Alexandria Daily Town Talk newspaper in 1887; and a U.S. Senator of the 20th Century, John Overton. In 1986 an acre of land directly behind the cemetery across Singer Street was purchased to provide burial sites as all spaces in the historic section have been unavailable since about 1960. On November 1, 1997, the Mount Olivet Mausoleum/Columbarium was dedicated. The mausoleum is quite unique with its gothic peak roof line and stained glass windows from the 1874 St. James church. It contains 100 crypts and 40 niches. There is also a Memorial Wall for the remembrance of loved ones. On June 22, 2000 the chapel and cemetery were put on the

National Register of Historic Places. In 2008, an Angel of Hope statue was dedicated in the cemetery for parents who have lost a child. This solemn place is available for anyone who needs a place to grieve. In 2007 Mount Olivet was renovated, restored, and lovingly dedicated again in 2009. The careful direction of Bishop Bruce MacPherson made the restoration possible. His determination and patience brought the chapel back to its earlier glory. The general contractor was Ratcliff Construction of Alexandria. The building has won preservation awards for the careful, loving restoration. A historic marker was placed out front to inform the curious of the rich history here.

Henry O. Robertson Chair, Division of History & Political Science Associate Professor of History Louisiana College

In the spring of 2010 a history class at Louisiana College in Pineville, under the direction of Dr. Henry O. Robertson, worked on this guide as a service learning project. The purpose was to teach methods of historical research and writing. In the spirit of Christian giving and service to others so commanded by Jesus Christ the class took up a mission of providing a guide to the Civil War veteran burials at Mount Olivet Cemetery located down the street from the college. Most Union veterans are buried in the Alexandria National Cemetery between the college and Mount Olivet Chapel. Elaine Hicks had started researching the Confederate veterans. The student participants took up where she started. Most of the students were juniors and seniors of all majors who took the American South HI 442 class. They had classroom instruction by library staff and Dr. Robertson who taught them how to research a Civil War veteran and people living in the 19th century. A little about the student authors is found at the end of the guide. Each student’s initials appear after the entry they researched and wrote. Meagan Wigley put the guide together as managing editor and Dr. Robertson and Elaine Hicks saw the work to completion.


This guide is arranged alphabetically by the last name of the veteran. Following their name and birth and death dates a lot number appears to indicate the burial plot. A map is at the end of the guide which shows the locations of the plots around the chapel. The plots start in the back of the cemetery and run left to right across the grounds until the higher numbers appear in the front near the chapel. Any person who lived in the Civil War era but where a service record was not located is listed at the end of the guide. They may have fought. The guide makes no claims to be comprehensive and research has relied upon many sources whose accuracy has not been verified. For seven of the names on the list there is not a corresponding name on the cemetery map. The seven (Joseph S. Cruse, Jesse C. Godly, Valentine B. Guillory, Kosciusko R. Hyams, Harvey S. Losee, George R. Marsh, and Mitchell Neal) are buried in the lots indicated. Often individuals or families bought lots and close relatives, not necessarily sharing the same last name, were buried side by side in the same lot. At some of the lots throughout the cemetery exact grave sites were not well marked either. This guide reflects accurate information kept in the cemetery records.


  Louis Abadie (1833—November 10, 1890) LOT 24    Louis Abadie was born in France in 1833. Before he enlisted in the Civil War, he was a butcher in Rapides  Parish. In 1856, he began holding an Episcopal Sunday school at his home which became the origin point  for building Mount Olivet.  He enlisted to serve for the Confederate States of America on September 11,  1861. He was a private in Company D of the 22nd Infantry Regiment of Louisiana, and was involved in  two battles. Abadie fought in south Louisiana along Bayou Lafourche on October 21, 1862. He then  fought at Vicksburg during the campaign in early 1863.  He surrendered on the 4th of July in 1863. After  the war, he returned to Pineville, and was one of the founding members of the Masonic Solomon Lodge  No. 221 in 1874. He married Margaret Irving on June 18, 1876. Louis died in New Orleans on November  10, 1890. He is the ancestor of the editor‐in chief’s wife.  S.J.    Sources:  US Census 1870. American Civil War Regiments Online.                                        James Turner Alexander (May 30, 1832 – March 27, 1915) LOT 103    James Alexander was a native of Mecklenburg County, Virginia. During his time in the military, he  worked his way up in rank to a Colonel. He was a Colonel on General Brown’s staff. He served in the  Confederate Army in Lee’s Army in Virginia. He spent his time after serving the military with his family  and friends. During the summer months, he resided in Red Lawn, Virginia. During the winter, he would  come to live with his children, two sons, in Louisiana. He did this for twenty years before he fell ill while  in Louisiana. He stayed sick that winter and stayed in Louisiana until he died. His two sons, J.W.  Alexander and M.L. Alexander, decided to bury him in Louisiana. He was buried in his Confederate  uniform.  J.E.    The Town Talk (1915), Gone – But Not Forgotten, Central Louisiana Families in 1880     

  Asa Olin Blackman LOT 80      Asa Blackman was born in Georgia and served during the Civil War.  He fought for the Confederates  during the war. He was part of the 9th Louisiana Infantry, one of the most distinguished Louisiana units  of the Civil War known as the Louisiana Tigers. They fought in 48 different battles and engagements.   Some of the more famous ones were the Battle at Bull Run, Antietam, and Gettysburg.  His unit marched  upwards of 30 miles a day with Stonewall Jackson during the Shenandoah Valley campaign.  At Front  Royal, one of its most dramatic moments occurred. The regiment raced across a railroad bridge under  Union rifle fire and while the bridge itself was on fire. They lost only two men and assisted in stopping its  destruction by putting out its flaming timbers.  The unit was nearly wiped out at the heavy fighting  around the Dunker Church at Antietam on September 17, 1862. Blackman was with this company for the 

beginning of the war and worked his way up in rank to First Sergeant. On October 31, 1862, he was  transferred to the 28th Louisiana Infantry by order of the Secretary of War. After this, he was demoted in  rank due to disobedience and then transferred to the Trans‐Mississippi Department where he finished  out his service during the remainder of the war.        C.N.    Guide to Louisiana Confederate Military Units 1861‐1865 Arthur W. Bergeron, Jr.   Records of Louisiana Confederate Soldiers and Louisiana Confederate Commands  Andrew B. Booth   Lee’s Tigers Terry Jones      Capt. F.M. Blessing (May 15, 1846—February 15, 1933) LOT 110, 113    Born in Ohio in 1846, Captain F.M. Blessing came to Alexandria after the war. He married Mary Shoaff,  daughter of Frederich Shoaff and Susannah Jones of Louisiana. Together they had four children: Nellie,  Brooks Frederick, Frank Jr., and N.J.  Blessing.  A Frank M. Blessing served in the 34th Ohio regiment  during the war. There was also a private of the same exact name serving in the 36th Ohio infantry.  Both  units fought for the Union  in West Virginia and Virginia in the campaigns there. Blessing was chief of  Alexandria Police Department from September 9, 1904 to October 23, 1904, and again May 6, 1905 to  April 1, 1907. It is likely he was a Union army veteran.   K.W.    Sources: Family Search Record Search, “Francis Marion Blessing,” “Mary Shoaff Blessing,” “NJ Blessing,”  “Frank Blessing Jr.,” “Nellie Blessing,” “Brooks Frederick Blessing”; http://www.alex‐; Mount Olivet Cemetery,                                   George Washington Bolton (September 15, 1841‐August 2, 1931) LOT 67      George Washington Bolton was the son of E.P. and Eliza Bolton.  He was born on September 15, 1841 in  DeKalb County, Georgia.  Bolton was the fourth of eight children.  In 1857, the family moved to Union  Parish, Louisiana where Bolton’s father founded a private school.  At the outbreak of the Civil War  Bolton joined the Confederacy, enlisting in Company E, 12th Louisiana Infantry.  He enlisted at Camp  Moore on August 18, 1861 as a sergeant.  A newspaper described Camp Moore in the Florida parishes,  as a place with “a large clearing among the tall pine trees on affine elevation where that e fine breezes  and dry air are highly conducive to health.” The encampment presented an idyllic picture. “The natural  state of the forest, setting out of the white tents and brilliant hued flags,” the New Orleans Bee  commented was a perfect location to train troops.   During the war Bolton was elected 4th sergeant.  He  fought at Shiloh, Vicksburg, and the Atlanta campaign.  Bolton was wounded at the Battle of Nashville in  late 1864 and held as a prisoner of war at Camp Chase, Ohio and later at Point Lookout, Maryland.   Bolton was released on Oath of Allegiance on June 6, 1865. He then returned home where he taught at  his father’s school for a year.  Bolton then entered into the mercantile business in Winn Parish with  Absalom Wade.  In 1868, he married Tennessee Wade Bolton, daughter of Mr. Wade.  They had five  children together: James, George, Frank, James Porter, Roscoe, and Bertha.  He founded in 1888 a bank.   Bolton served as the first president of Rapides Bank until 1912.  Bolton was also a great civic leader.  He  served as a delegate to the state constitutional convention in 1879 and 1898.  He also served in the  lowest house of the state legislature from 1888‐1894 and as speaker of the house during his last term.  

He was among the men most responsible for getting Louisiana College to locate in Pineville in 1906.  George Washington Bolton passed away on August 2, 1931.       J.K.    Census of 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, & 1930.  U.S. Civil War Records & Profiles.  Louisiana:   Compromising Sketches of Parishes, Towns, Events, Institutions and Persons.  Confederate Research Sources: Vol 1. B. p 28.  In Defense of My Country: The Civil War Letters of GW Bolton Sue Eakin, ed.   The Story of Camp Moore and Life at Camp Moore Powell Casey      Robert Wilson Bringhurst (1840‐1912) LOT 70      Robert Wilson Bringhurst was born December 13, 1840 in Louisiana.  His parents were both from  Kentucky.  Bringhurst served the Confederate Army in either the 18th Regiment, Louisiana Infantry or  the Crescent Infantry Regiment.  Both Regiments served at Shiloh, the Red River Campaign, and were a  part of the Trans‐Mississippi Department with engagements in South Louisiana during 1863.  Bringhurst  was 60 years old in 1900 when he married Judith Taliaferro Leokie while living in Alexandria Louisiana.   He was a civic leader and major developer of the City of Alexandria. He died at the age of 71 on October  18, 1912.    H.K., 1900 census records, Bringhurst’s Headstone     

  Major Mercer Canfield (June 18, 1828—April 8, 1864) LOT 5    Major Mercer Canfield served in the Consolidated Crescent (24th) Regiment in the Louisiana Infantry.  This unit fought at many battles such as Shiloh and in the Red River Campaign. The 24th Regiment  participated as the main regimental attack force during the Battle of Mansfield on April 08, 1864.   During this battle over 175 of the regiment’s men were killed or wounded.  Following a devastating  round of five poured into the regiment by the Union defenders, an eyewitness reported, “ Major  Canfield rode around, got down  off his horse, picked up the colors and ordered the regiment forward  with him and the colors in the lead. All that could arose and started forward with the Rebel Yell.”  The  Union forces reloaded and fired another volley.  “They got our brave little major, and no braver man  ever lived or died on a battlefield,” remembered James Jarratt.  The 24th Regiment was the only  Louisiana regiment that lost all three field grade officers in that single battle.  The next day at the Battle  of Pleasant Hill did not produce as many casualties because the unit had been so torn up it was put into  reserve.  The unit also played a part in pushing Union forces under General Nathanial Banks back down  

the Red River and fought  May 18th at the Battle of Yellow Bayou.  After marching for Shreveport and  spending several months in garrison duty there, the 24th marched back to Alexandria and disbanded.    P.A.    Guide to Louisiana Confederate  Military Units 1861 – 1865, Arthur W. Bergeron Jr.  Records of Louisiana Confederate soldiers and Commands Vol. I, Andrew Booth  Little to Eat and Thin Mud to Drink Gary Joiner      Henry C. Carnal (June 11, 1839—July 5, 1876) LOT 6    Henry C. Carnal was born on July 11, 1839.  He enrolled as a 1st Sergeant in Company L. of the  Consolidated Crescent Regiment of the Louisiana Infantry in September of 1862. He fought at Shiloh and  a number of other battles.  The Crescent distinguished itself at Shiloh by surrounding and accepting the  surrender of the Union division of Union General Prentiss. This came after a terrible struggle at a place  known ever after as the Hornet’s Nest.  There the unit moved through some thick underbrush and  dislodged Union forces from around a small cabin and cotton bales.  Losses were heavy on both sides.  Later in the war,  Carnal became a POW  at some point and was paroled at Alexandria in June of 1865.   He passed away on July 5, 1876 at 37 years of age.   M.K.    Roster of Confederate Soldiers, Gone But Not Forgotten      Thomas Clements (August 10, 1832—September 3, 1905) LOT 1    Born originally in County Tyrone, Ireland, Thomas Clements immigrated to the United States when he  was twelve years old in 1844. The trip from Liverpool to his final destination, New Orleans, took about  nine weeks. In 1845 his father, John Clements, who had immigrated with him to Central Louisiana, died.   Five years later, his mother also passed away at 4th and Washington St. according to his obituary.  Both  were buried at the Rapides Cemetery, in Pineville.      Thomas Clements, as a boy had been employed as a clerk both in the city of Alexandria, Louisiana, for  Jas. McFeely, W.H. Scott, and later A.M. Kilpatrick in Cheneyville, Louisiana.  During this time, Clements  started his Masonic studies at Gordy Lodge No. 133 which culminated in his election as a Master Mason  in 1856.  After returning to the Alexandria area, he transferred to Oliver Lodge No. 84, the oldest F. &  A.M.  Lodge in the area.      Mr. Clements served as Second Lieutenant of Company D. First Louisiana Calvary, Rapides Rangers.  He  served throughout the duration of the Civil War and participated in many important battles.      After the war, Mr. Clements returned to the Alexandria area where he was shortly employed as a  bookkeeper for Isaac Levy, a local wholesale grocer.  This later led to his employment at Marx Levy & Co.  in New Orleans in 1866. In 1868, it is recorded that Mr. Clements served on many steamboats as a clerk.   These included such vessels as the Glide, which was unfortunately destroyed on the Mississippi river  near the city of Convent, Louisiana.  Other vessels were the Frolic, Rapides, Bertna, Carrie A. Thomas,  Henry Tate, and various other craft.  In 1874, Clements bought a vessel by the name of Era No. 10 where  he served as commander for the next few years.   

  1870 was the year that he married Francis C. Johnston of Pineville. Together they had two daughters:  Misses Eliza and Lizzie.      From 1875 to 1892, Clements acquired Annandale Plantation where he farmed until he moved back to  Alexandria with his family to live out the rest of his days.  It is important to note that he had many  business interests within the city of Alexandria. One such business interest was that of the post of  President of The First National Bank for two years.       The physical description at time of service indicated that he was about 5 feet, 10 inches tall with grey  eyes and light hair. Clement served as the 3rd Lt. 2nd Lt. Co. D. 1st La. Cavalry.  He enlisted on September   12th 1861, in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.  He was promoted to 2nd Lt. on December 15, 1862.  The rolls for  January – February 1863 showed he was absent for sick furlough.  Federal rolls for prisoners of war  showed he was captured at Big Hill, Kentucky on July 30, 1863. He was then sent to Johnsons Island,  Ohio on August 9, 1863.  He was then released upon oath of allegiance to the United States on June 11,  1865.  It was here that he returned to the Alexandria area.    Clements died on September 3, 1905 at 8:30 p.m. from general debility from an operation for  appendicitis. He died at the Sanitarium on the corner of 2nd and Lee St. in Alexandria, Louisiana.  P.A.    Guide to Louisiana confederate military units 1861 – 1865, Arthur W. Bergeron Jr.  Central Louisiana Families in 1880, Verda Jenkins Ruff.  Alexandria Daily Town Talk – Obit. 9/04/1905      Dr. Americus Cockerille (____—April 12, 1889) LOT 71    Dr. Americus Cockerille served the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War in 1862 in  the Crescent Regiment, Louisiana Infantry.  This unit fought at the battle of Shiloh and during the Red  River Campaign.  It was a part of the Trans‐Mississippi Department.  Cockerille entered the War as a  private and did not move up in rank.  Cockerille served as a surgeon until he experienced “ill health” in  1863 and was forced to come home.  He lived in Alexandria as a Practicing Physician.  He was married to  Martha Cockerille on June 12, 1856 by Reverend McCoy in Rapides Parish.  They would remain together  until his death on April 12, 1889 in Alexandria, Louisiana.  Martha would live for 24 years after  Americus’s death and die in 1913.   H.K.    State of Louisiana Widow’s Application for Pension;,      Angus T. Compton (1846—September 28, 1883) LOT 79    Angus Thornton Compton, born 1846, was the son of George Washington and Mary Elise Compton.  Compton served the Confederacy as a private in Captain Benjamin’s Louisiana Cavalry. He enlisted on  Christmas Eve, 1863 and was paroled in Alexandria on June 3, 1865. Compton married Willie Milliner in  Houston, Texas on December 14, 1871. The pair had seven children: George, Katie, Angus Jr., Guy, Hugh, 

Herbert, and Sanford Compton. He resided in Rapides parish for the remainder of his life, dying of a  fever on September 28, 1883.   J.P.    Futch, Catherine Baillio. The Baillio Family. Baton Rouge, LA: 1961  Military Pension Record of Willie Milliner Compton, filed January 27, 1913 (Alexandria, LA)      Dr. John S. Compton (July 22, 1840 – November 4, 1888) LOT 115      John S. Compton was born on July 22, 1840 to George and Mary Compton.  Prior to the Civil War  George Compton was a farmer in Rapides Parish while John, his oldest son, studied medicine.  John  Compton enlisted as a private in Company K of the Crescent Regiment on March 11, 1862 and was likely  present at the Battle of Shiloh in Tennessee.  Compton also appeared on the rolls of Company C of the   18th Louisiana Infantry as a private.  Compton was married to Amanda Bonner with whom he had three  children: Ernest, John Conrad, and Mary.  After the war he lived in Rapides Parish and worked as a  farmer.  Compton passed away on November 4, 1888.    J.K.    Census 1860, 1870, & 1880.  U.S. Civil War Soldiers, 1861‐1865. LaGenWeb Archives.  American Civil War Regiments.  Confederate Research Sources. Vol. 1. C. p. 403.       Joseph S. Cruse (September 10, 1828—August 31, 1914) LOT 92    Joseph S. Cruse was born in Belgium and came to the U.S. at the age of 5. He enlisted in the Confederate  Army in the spring of 1862 in Alexandria, Louisiana. He was a part of the Heavy Artillery under Capt.  John Kelso. He was at Fort DeRussy.  Cruse was never wounded but was captured while passing  Henderson Hill in Rapides Parish in 1863.  He remained in Natchitoches for the remainder of the war. He  eventually returned to farming in Lecompte in Rapides Parish.  He was married and had seven children:  four boys and three girls. He filed for a pension in 1899 because he was getting too old and had been  sick.  D.B.‐bio.htm  Government Pension form       Simon Cullen (1846‐1891) LOT 79    Simon Cullen was born in Virginia and as a young man entered the Virginia Military Institute during the  Civil War.  When Union troops invaded the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia on May 11, 1864, Cullen left  with the cadets to aid Confederates under General John Breckenridge.  He, along with over 200 others,  was involved in a famous attack at the Battle of New Market.  His unit charged across the field of lost  shoes and captured a Union battery upon a hill. This was among the most dramatic scenes in all of the  Civil War.  In 1868, Cullen moved to Alexandria, Louisiana where he was part of the steamboat  warehouse business and a partner of the firm of Stafford and Cullen.  Throughout his business career, 

Cullen became one of the most successful and well looked upon citizens of Alexandria.  On February 27,  1874, Cullen married Annie Jeannette Skillman. He was described later in life as having a striking  appearance and noticeable bearing.   P.R.    Stafford, Dr. G.M.G.  The Wells Family of Louisiana and Allied Families.  Obituary in “The Democrat”  McManus, Jane Parker and Mary Parker Partain.  Gone ‐ But Not Forgotten: Cemetery   Inscriptions of  Rapides Parish.  Vol. II      John Dunn (1835—May 7, 1911) LOT 27      John Dunn was born in 1845 in Louisiana.  In 1860, he was fifteen years old and lived in Rapides Parish in  the Alexandria area.  The 1860 census revealed that John lived with C Pope and Mary Pope, Susan  Belgarde, Sidney Belgarde, Napoleon Belgarde, and Anthony Belgarde.  He joined the 1st Regiment,  Louisiana Infantry Company D as a Private and finished his service to the Confederacy as a Private.  This  unit consisted of men from Shreveport, Alexandria, and New Orleans.  They served mostly under  General Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia.   They witnessed heavy casualties at Seven Days’  Battles, Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, and Mine Run. The 1st Regiment  suffered a staggering 37% casualties at Chancellorsville in 1863.  They were with General Lee at  Appomattox.  John died May 7,1911.    H.K., (partnered with 1860 Census  Records,,      

                                        Joseph Fitzpatrick (May 10, 1842‐ February 25, 1905) LOT 77    Fitzpatrick enlisted in Company B of Louisiana's Second Infantry on May 9, 1861.  He was present on  rolls to June, 1861, and in Williamsburg Hospital for the July‐August rolls, 1861.  Fitzpatrick was stated  present on rolls from September, 1861 until June, 1862, and on sick furlough for July‐August, 1862, after  being wounded at the Battle of Malvern Hill.  He was present on rolls from September‐December, 1862.  Fitzpatrick was promoted to Second Junior Lieutenant, and then again to Second Senior Lieutenant.  He  was present on all subsequent rolls until his absence on furlough for 30 days, starting August 28, 1863.   He was not stated present or absent on rolls from September, 1863‐ February, 1864.      Fitzpatrick appears on the Register of Prisoners of War, paroled May 10, 1865 (his 23rd birthday).  Fitzpatrick is described at enlistment as 5 feet, 6 inches tall, with gray eyes, dark hair, and a dark  complexion. After the war, Fitzpatrick was a resident of Alexandria, LA.  On April 15, 1880, he married  Laura Miller (March 3, 1862‐ June 2, 1947) at St. James Church in Alexandria, LA.  C.L. 

Isaiah Fogleman (April 15, 1838—October 23, 1916) LOT 50    Isaiah Fogleman was born April 15, 1838 in Louisiana.  His father was a farmer from Virginia named  James Fogleman who was married to Sarah from Kentucky. Isaiah had at least four brothers and sisters,  Emmagy, Silas, Octavie, and George.  He enlisted in Company F. of the 8th Louisiana Infantry as a Private  on June of 1861 at Camp Moore, Louisiana.  The 8th Louisiana Infantry fought in Virginia and soon  became a part of what was called the Louisiana Tigers.  This included the 6th, 7th, and 9th Louisiana  Regiments and the 1st Louisiana Special Battalion.  This Brigade joined with General Stonewall Jackson’s  army in the spring of 1862. They participated in many battles and made the late afternoon attack on  Cemetery Hill at the battle of Gettysburg on July 2, 1863.  On the rocky slopes, the 8th captured a Union  battery within the Union line. In fierce hand‐to‐hand fighting they lost many men including a color  bearer. They held the battery and if supported may have broken the Union line.  That support did not  come and by 10PM after a counter attack had to retreat to their starting position. Later that year it is  possible that he became a POW after the Brigade was overrun at Rappahannock Station in November of  1863.  He was released in June of 1865.  After the war Isaiah took up after his father and farmed.  He  was married to Celones on November 15, 1885.  They had at least 7 children: Malcolm, Irvin, Isaiah Jr.,  Clough, Earl, Lee, and Marian.  Isaiah Fogleman passed away from kidney failure on October 23, 1916 at  the age of 78.  His wife Celones passed 9 years later on September 3, 1925 at the age of 68.  M.K.    Confederate Pension Records; Roster of Confederate Soldiers; Guide to Louisiana Confederate Military  Units; 1850, 1870, 1900, and 1910 Federal Census (Ancestry Library), Gone But Not Forgotten     

  John B. Gibson (1839‐1918) LOT 3    John B. Gibson served in the 17th Louisiana Infantry, Companies F and G during the Civil War.  He  enlisted September 30, 1861, as a Captain.  His regiment was organized at Camp Moore, Louisiana.  The  17th Louisiana Infantry fought at the Battle of Shiloh, the Battle of Port Gibson, and was captured at  Vicksburg.  The regiment spent its last few weeks stationed in Pineville, Louisiana and was disbanded in  1865.  After the war, Gibson married Mary Gardner on January 23, 1868.  Gibson had three sons: Henry  Gibson, George Gibson, and Willie Gibson.  He served as town marshal of Alexandria and was also  involved in the mercantile business.    P.R.    Bergeron, Arthur W.  Guide to Louisiana Confederate Military Units 1861‐1865.  McManus, Jane Parker and Mary Parker Partain.  Gone ‐ But Not Forgotten: Cemetery   Inscriptions of  Rapides Parish.  Vol. II  Obituary in “The Town Talk”  Records of Louisiana Confederate Soldiers and Louisiana Confederate Commands.     

Jesse C. Godly (January 22, 1826—June 10, 1870) LOT 2    Mr. Jesse C. Godly was a farmer who resided in Minden, Louisiana.  He served as a private in Company  G. of the 8th Louisiana Infantry. Godly enlisted on June 23, 1861 at Camp Moore, Louisiana.  He was  discharge on May 12, 1862.  This occurred because Company G. had attained full service strength and he  was over the age of conscription, which was 35, by one year.    P.A.    Memorial Hall, New Orleans La.  June 1903, War Dept. Records Washington D.C.   Records of Louisiana confederate soldiers and commands Vol. III, Andrew B. Booth      William Ashbury Griffin (November 9, 1828—April 3, 1909) LOT 94    William A. Griffin served in the Confederate Military in the 31st Alabama Infantry, Company I. He entered  as a private and left still a private. The 31st Alabama Infantry was organized in Talladega, Alabama in  1862, but was then moved to Tennessee. The men who served in this division were from the counties of  Cherokee, Shelby, Talladega, Randolph, Montgomery, and Calhoun. This group saw action at the  Cumberland Gap and Tazewell. It eventually moved into East Louisiana and West Mississippi where it  saw action at the Vicksburg campaign battles at Champion’s Hill, Port Gibson, Chickasaw Bayou and was  eventually captured at the siege of Vicksburg. This division suffered heavy losses and by January 1865,  only 180 out of the original 1000 were still fit for duty.   D.B.‐bio.htm      Valentine B. Guillory (February 2, 1818‐‐?)  LOT 27    Born in St. Landry Parish.  Baptized in the Catholic faith.  He served in Benjamin’s cavalry a local unit  recruited specifically to meet the threat of Union invasion.  P.H.     

  Christian Haack (1833 – October 5, 1899) LOT 40    Christian Haack was born in Germany in 1833 and eventually moved to the United States. He was a  cooper by trade. He resided in Alexandria, near upper Fourth Street, for at least forty years. He died of  bronchitis in 1899. His wife, Elizabeth Coenig was also born in Germany around 1843. They had two  daughters, Mrs. Will Zoder and Mrs. Louis Sterkx.   J.E.    The Town Talk (1899), Gone – But Not Forgotten, Central Louisiana Families in 1880, St. James Episcopal  Church –  Baptisms, Confirmations, Marriages, and Burials 1886 – 1920 

Charles Overton Harris (1840‐1905) LOT 12    Charles Overton Harris was born in Missouri on November 21, 1840.  His parents were both native  Kentuckians.  Harris Fought for the Confederacy.  He served with the 15th Infantry Regiment (also called  2nd Regiment Polish Brigade), the Washington Artillery Battalion, or the 2nd Cavalry Regiment.  These  units fought across the warfront at various locations.  It is known that Harris joined the Army as a private  and remained such until the end of his service.  In 1868, he married Jane Harris of Alabama.  In 1870 he  and Jane lived in Lamothe on a farm.  Census records reveal that Harris’s real estate was valued at 200  dollars and his personal estate was valued at 300 dollars.  Charles O. Harris died August 27, 1905 at age  64.   H.K. 1870 census record, records,, and  Harris’s Headstone       William Harris (March 2, 1838—1915) LOT 21    William Harris was born in Murry County, Tennessee and served in the Confederate Army in Company A.  1st Tennessee in the Calvary Ashlys Brigade. “This Regiment was organized in November 1862 using the  3rd Tennessee Cavalry Battalion as its nucleus.” The men in this battalion came from Clairborne,  Jefferson, Knox Union, Bledsoe Roane, McMinn, Bradley and Rhee Counties. This group saw fighting in  the Shenandoah Valley under Stonewall Jackson as well as other areas. Harris was never captured and  served until peace was declared. His company surrendered in Madison, Georgia. He moved to  Alexandria in 1906 and was a farmer, but was not very successful and claimed to not make much profit.  At the age of seventy‐seven, he filed for a government pension because he was getting too old to farm  and needed assistance. He was a widower at this time with eight children, three sons and five  daughters. He owned 150 acres of land and drank alcohol very seldom, according to his pension  application.  D.B.‐bio.htm  Government Pension Application   1870 Census through        Ernst Jacob Hardtner (1844—October 25, 1930) LOT 106    Ernst Jacob Hardtner was born in Laufen, Germany in  1844 to Clarra Hartman and Henry Hardtner.  Hardtner immigrated to New York in 1865. Seeking a warmer climate, he migrated south to New  Orleans, Louisiana, but did not last long on account of a Yellow fever epidemic in the fall of 1867. He left  New Orleans, in his own words, on a, “Red River boat.”  Hardtner stepped off the boat in Alexandria in  October 1867 and journeyed to Pineville where he found employment as a merchant. He was one of the  few merchants to advertise in the then new Town Talk and also one of the first merchants to install a  telephone line in his store when it became available in 1897. Hardtner married Emma Schraeder, whose  father Charles had emigrated from France around 1840 and helped built Mount Olivet Chapel. The  couple had two sons named Henry and Quintin Theodore and daughter named Alice. Hardtner owned  and operated a boot making shop on Main Street until in 1874 Hardtner entered into the grocery 

business. Later, Hardtner, along with his son Henry and partner J. M. Nugent, opened and operated a  saw mill between 1892 and 1896; the mill was located between one in Ball owned by C.E. Ball and sons  and one built in Pollock by Jay Gould.  Ernest later talked his father Henry and William Edenborn into  investing in some timber in what is now LaSalle Parish. The mill was begun at a point on the Missouri  Pacific Railroad which Hardtner named Urania. According to Ernest’s diary, this proved to be a very  profitable investment. It also turned out to be significant for Louisiana’s timber industry because this  mill provided the training ground for reforestation in Louisiana and the United States. Ernest had come  from Germany, where reforestation in the Black Forest had taught him to conserve natural resources.  The mill is the oldest mill in its area. Ernest served on the Pineville Policy Jury at some point. He was one  of twenty property holders of Pineville to sign a petition calling the town council to levy a tax for the  purpose of buying or securing a suitable public school building. At the time of his death, Hardtner was  living with daughter Alice Crockett and her family.  K.W.    Once Upon a River: A History of Pineville by Elaine H. Brister pp. 55‐56, 65, 73, 75, 109, and 175   FamilySearch Record Search, “Ernest Jacob Hardtner,” “Henry E Hardtner,” Quintin Theodore  Hardtner,” “Alice Hardtner”  Ancestry Library, 1920 Federal Census, “Ernest Hardtner”   Mount Olivet Cemetery,        Robert Cecil Hetherwick (January 15, 1827—September 9, 1871) LOT 32     Hetherwick served as a private in Company K, of the 3rd Louisiana Cavalry, known as the Prairie Rangers.   Records indicate that he was present on the rolls of August to December 1862 in Alexandria, Louisiana.  He also appears on the rolls of prisoners of war and was pardoned in Alexandria, Louisiana on June 4,  1865.   P.A.    Gone But Not Forgotten – Cemetery inscriptions of Rapides Parish, Mary Parker Partain  Records of Louisiana confederate soldiers and commands Vol. III, Andrew B. Booth                    Kosciusko R. Hyams (1839—1874) LOT 7    Kosciusko R. Hyams was a Confederate soldier who served as a Private, in Company B of the 2nd  Regiment of the Louisiana Infantry. The 2nd infantry was formed in 1861 at Camp Moore in Tangipahoa,  Louisiana. The men in this company were taken from Caddo, Rapides, De Soto, Natchitoches, St. Landry,  Clairborne, and Lincoln Parishes. The 2nd regiment was sent to Virginia. This group also fought at  Gettysburg.   D.B.        

  Augustus Jarreau (September 3, 1840 ‐ January 1, 1906) LOT 84      Augustus Jarreau was born in Louisiana on September 3, 1840 to Bernard and Clara Jarreau.  On May 7,  1861, Jarreau enlisted as a private in Company B of the 2nd Louisiana Infantry to fight for the  Confederate cause in the Civil War.  He was wounded at Sharpsburg, Maryland on September 17, 1862.   He sought at almost every other battle. Jarreau mustered out on April 10, 1865 at Appomattox Court  House, Virginia.  Jarreau married Lucy Sloane Huie, the widow of Green Huie, in March of 1868. Jarreau  and Lucy had three sons: Rollo, Mayo, and August Hunter, along with two children from Lucy’s previous  marriage, Henarie and Laura Ethel Huie.  Jarreau’s step‐son Henarie would go on to co‐found the Town  Talk, Alexandria’s first daily newspaper.  The three siblings Henarie, Rollo, and Laura, owned the  newspaper for several years.  His son Hunter served as Louisiana’s delegate to the Democratic National  Convention in 1944.  Jarreau worked in Pineville as a steamboat captain, warehouseman, merchant, and  farmer.  In 1880 he was elected Mayor of Pineville.  Jarreau passed away on January 1, 1906.        J.K.    Census of 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, & 1900.  U.S. Civil War Records & Profiles.    Talk of the Town:  The Rise of Alexandria, Louisiana, & the Daily Town  Talk.   Confederate Research Sources: Vol. 2. J. p. 430.        Walter  C. Johnson (1847‐August 29, 1917) LOT 61    Walter Johnson was born to Samuel K. and Eugenia Johnson in 1847 in Louisiana.  Samuel worked in  Alexandria as a planter and a druggist.  Walter Johnson enlisted as a private in Company A of the 4th  Louisiana Engineer Troops.  He was taken prisoner during the war and paroled at Natchitoches,  Louisiana on June 6, 1865.  After the war he married Ada Hale and worked as a store clerk.  Walter  Johnson passed away on August 29, 1917.    J.K.    Census of 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 & 1910.  Louisiana Statewide Death Index 1900‐1949.  Louisiana Confederate Pension Applications Index Database.  Confederate Research Sources: Vol. 2. J. p 458      William Kyle Johnson (1841‐1885) LOT 61    William Kyle Johnson served in Company I of the 8th Regiment, Louisiana Infantry.  He entered the 8th  Regiment as a Second Lieutenant and by the end of his service he had become Captain William K.  Johnson.  This unit was made up of men from across the state from Plaquemines to Rapides Parish.  One  of the commanding officers was the famous Francis T. Nicholls, whom Nicholls University is now named  after.  The Louisiana 8th Regiment was a busy unit as they fought in some of the Civil War’s biggest  battles.  A smaller group of the regiment was on reserve at First Manassas.  They fought under General  “Stonewall” Jackson in his Valley campaign, Cold Harbor, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Rappahannock  

Station, and the Seven Days’ Battles.  These were mostly under General Robert E. Lee’s Army of  Northern Virginia, notably the Confederacy’s most successful army.  William would marry Nina Manning.    H.K.    LA Secretary of State Confederate Pension Application Index,      Jesse Godley Johnson (January 16, 1841—November 14, 1922) LOT 61    Jesse Godley Johnson was born January 16, 1841 in Texas. He was named after Jesse Godley.  His  mother was from North Carolina and his father was from Virginia.  He lived with his mother in Pineville,  Louisiana in 1860.  Johnson served in the 16th Regiment, Louisiana Infantry as a Private.  The regiment  was assigned to the Army of Tennessee and fought at Murfreesboro, Shiloh, Chickamauga, and the  Atlanta Campaign.  They surrendered with the Department of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana.   Jesse G. Johnson died November 14, 1922.    H.K., 1860 and 1870 census records, Johnson’s Headstone     

  Judge John Kelsoe (1830—December 4, 1870) LOT 57    John Kelsoe was born in 1830 in Rapides Parish. He was the son of George Young Kelsoe, a planter  formerly from Maryland, and Eugenia Reynolds. Kelsoe received his education in a number of places,  including Dickerson College in Baltimore, in Princeton, New Jersey, and in Pennsylvania. He married  Mary Jane Randall, also from a Maryland family, around 1852. The couple had three children: George  Young Kelsoe, Jack Kelsoe, and Mary Worthington Kelsoe.    The 1860 Census reveals a young John Kelsoe managing his father’s plantation, Brickyard, which was  located on Lee Street in Alexandria. The 1,600 acre plantation got its name from the brick production  that took place there. In that year, the plantation produced “550 ginned bales of cotton, 80 pounds of  wool, and 5,000 bushels of corn”. The plantation was worked by 105 slaves, who lived in 40 dwellings.  The plantation was also home to livestock including swine, cattle, sheep, oxen, mules, and horses.    In 1861, Kelsoe volunteered to serve for the Confederate army. He and 107 other men left on April 25,  1861 on the steamboat Rapides, bound for New Orleans. This group, the first to leave Rapides Parish,  reached Camp Walker and became part of the 2nd Louisiana Infantry Company B. Kelsoe was appointed  Captain of this company, known as the Moore Guards.    The regiment was sent to Richmond, Virginia to build earthen fortifications. The regiment did similar  work in Williamsburg and Yorktown, Virginia, where they spent the winter of 1861. The regiment saw  action on April 16, 1862 during the Siege of Yorktown. During the Seven Days campaign, the Union army  attacked the group at Lee’s Mill, forcing some of the men from their rifle pits.  On July 2nd, they made a  desperate charge on Culp’s Hill at Gettysburg with heavy losses.    

In spring of 1864, when Union Rear Admiral David Porter came up the Red River to Fort DeRussy near   Marksville, Louisiana with his two gunboats, he found Kelsoe and his Moore Guards there. Kelsoe was  busy stripping guns from the fort for use on two Confederate gunboats. Kelsoe’s gunboats were fired on,  and he returned to Alexandria with these two disabled boats.     In 1865, Captain Kelsoe served in the Louisiana State Senate, but his service was put to an end by the  “Reconstruction Government”.  In 1869, he was appointed parish judge in Rapides. He won reelection  the following year. Kelsoe died on December 4, 1870 at the age of forty, after suffering from  pneumonia.   J.P.    Futch, Catherine Baillio. The Baillio Family. Baton Rouge, LA: 1961  Laurent, N.B. Carl. From this Valley: A History of Alexandria, Pineville, and Rapides Louisiana: Volume I.  Alexandria, LA: Red River X‐Press, 2000  Eakin, Sue. Rapides Parish History: A Sourcebook. Alexandria, LA: Published by the Historical Association  of Central Louisiana with the help of Kisatchie‐Delta Economic Development District Council and  The Louisiana American Revolution Bicentennial Commission, 1976  Booth, Andrew B.. Records of Louisiana Confederate Soldiers and Louisiana Confederate Commands.  Spartanburg, SC: Reprint Co., 1984  Bergeron, Arthur W.. Guide to Louisiana Confederate Military Units, 1861‐1865. Baton Rouge: Louisiana  State University Press, 1996                                                                  John P. Kelsoe (1842‐1926) LOT 57    A Captain in Company B of Louisiana's Second Infantry, Kelsoe enlisted May 9, 1861, and was present on  all rolls to December, 1861.  Kelsoe was absent with leave for January and February of 1862 and not  stated on any later rolls.     Kelsoe returned to Alexandria and worked as a teacher and was a member of the Freemasons; he is  interred next to Jane Bacon Kelsoe (1882‐ 1923), with whom he shared a residence at 1927 Third St.,  Alexandria, LA.   C.L.     

                                      Lafayette Lawrence (January 12, 1847/1849—August 7, 1869) LOT 98    Lafayette Lawrence was born in 1849 according to the 1860 census, compared to his headstone which  says 1847.   His father and mother were Joseph and Lizza H. Lawrence.  He served in the Louisiana  Reserve Corp. as a private, but became a P.O.W. He passed away in August of 1869 at the age of 20.  M.K.    Ancestry Library, National Park Civil War Soldiers & Sailors system on‐line, Gone But Not Forgotten      

Louis Lawrence (March 8, 1845—May 13, 1911) LOT 114    Louis Lawrence was the son of Joseph Lawrence and Elizabeth Hoffman Lawrence of Pineville, Louisiana,  who are also buried in Mount Olivet Cemetery (lot forty‐eight). Lawrence had two half‐sisters, Felonise  and Jane, by his mother’s first marriage to Hypolite Escoffie. He also had and four sisters: Rosanna,  Caroline, Elizabeth, and Josephine; and four brothers: Joseph, Jr., Lafayette, Washington, and Napoleon.  Louis had a set of twin siblings also, but their names were not found.    Lawrence enlisted in the Confederate Army on February 12, 1864 in Rapides Parish, LA. He was a private  in Capt. Benjamin’s Company, LA Cavalry. Capt. Joseph Benjamin organized the company on December  24, 1863 at Alexandria. It was composed of men from Rapides, Avoyelles and Natchitoches parishes. The  company’s job was to serve as headquarters’ guard for the District of West Louisiana. Capt. Benjamin’s  Company was paroled at Natchitoches in June, 1865.     Louis married Margaret Elanor Hopkins on June 4, 1869. Along with his younger brother Napoleon,  Lawrence was a merchant of the city of Pineville as of 1879. He had a saloon in connection with his store  and in 1888, after four years of prohibition, Lawrence paid the $500 fee for a liquor license and was only  one of six saloons in town to do so. Lawrence was among one of twenty property holders of Pineville to  sign a petition calling the town council to levy a tax for the purpose of buying or securing a suitable  public school building.  K.W.    Records of Louisiana Confederate Soldiers and Louisiana Commands by Andrew B. Booth p. 681  Once Upon a River: A History of Pineville by Elaine H. Brister p. 48; Ancestry Library      Washington Lawrence (October 1, 1843‐September 6, 1904) LOT 48    Washington Lawrence was born in Pineville, Louisiana where he lived most of his life.  His wife was Miss  Mary E. Moseley from Virginia.  She was 15 years younger than Lawrence.  They had seven children  together. He worked as clerk for the city of Pineville.  There is no evidence whether he served during the  Civil War or not.  However, there is evidence that he was one of the most notorious supporters of the  North during the war.  C.N.  Alexandria Town Talk Obituaries Sept. 6, 1904   1870 U.S. Census      Harvey S. Losee (1830‐1872) LOT 92    Losee was listed as a soldier who fought out of Louisiana in the Crescent Regiment of Company K. He  served the regiment as a 1st Lieutenant. Losee earned his position of leadership within a year of enlisting  in 1862 by climbing the ranks rapidly.    Losee entered Confederate service in New Orleans on March 6, 1862.  The regiment was quickly  transferred to Corinth, Mississippi to give aid to General Beauregard’s army. They also played a vital role  in seizing two Yankee divisions in the Battle of Shiloh on April 6th, 1862. Less than twenty four hours  later, the regiment helped the 5th infantry (Washington’s Artillery) in preventing the Union from 

confining three of the battery’s guns.  There was a considerable amount of casualties from the regiment.  Around 84 of the men were wounded and 20 were missing in action. Beauregard’s army retreated, as  did the Crescent Regiment.  The Regiment was dispersed on June 3rd by General Braxton Bragg as the  enlistment of the regiment had expired.  The majority of the men were transferred into the 18th  regiment. After the decommissioning, there was a reorganization of the regiment on September 17th by  the War Department. The whereabouts of Losee was not found in any of the documents past this point.   K.B.    Records of Louisiana Confederate Soldiers and Louisiana Confederate Commands   Roster of Confederate Soldiers: 1861‐1865 (Bradfoot)  Guide to Louisiana Confederate Military Units 1861‐1865 (Bergeron Jr.)  Gone But Not Forgotten: Cemetery Inscriptions of Rapides Parish (Partain)     

  John Maddox (January 7, 1837—May 11, 1911) LOT 45    John Maddox was born to Thomas H. Maddox of Maryland and Adelia Maddox of Louisiana in 1837.  John was the oldest of six children, and later married his wife, Laura, in the late 1860’s after serving in  the Civil War for the Confederate States of America. John was a member of the 1st Louisiana Heavy  Artillery Regiment, where he was a 1st Sergeant in Company A. Their Regiment was nicknamed the  Regulars. The Regulars were involved in nine instances during the Civil War. The first was in New Orleans  from April 18 to April 25, 1862. They were involved in three different instances in Vicksburg, with the  bombardments, the passage, and the campaign in 1863. The other four instances in the war that  involved the Regulars were the Grand Gulf in 1863, once in March and once in April, one skirmish at  Mobile Bay in 1864, and fourth was involved in Mobile in 1865.     After the war, John worked again in Rapides Parish, Louisiana as a planter. His wife Laura died in the late  1878, and John was listed as a widower in the 1880 United States Census. His occupation in the 1880’s  was a farmer, and he now had three children. In the late 1890’s, John married Lizzie Maddox, and they  had another son, also named John Maddox. In the early 1900’s, they had their last child, Mary.  John  died on May 11, 1911.  S.J.    US Census 1850, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1900, 1910; Louisiana Secretary of State Confederate Pension  Applications Index Database.; Military Record of Louisiana, Bartlett; Compendium  of the Confederate Armies: Louisiana, Sifakis; The Civil War in Louisiana, Winters.      Robert Gwinn Maddox (August 5, 1845—November 25, 1925) LOT 45    Robert Gwinn Maddox was born on August 5, 1845 to Dr. Thomas Harris Maddox and Delia Miller  Maddox. Robert had two brothers and one sister. In the Civil War, Robert served the Confederate States  of America in Captain Joseph Benjamin’s Company, and achieved the rank of Corporal. The Company  

was organized on December 24, 1863 at Alexandria, and was paroled in Natchitoches, Louisiana in June  of 1865. Maddox and his wife, Georgia, had four children. He spent most of his life in Alexandria working  at home.   S.J.    US Census 1860, 1870, 1920.  Military Record of Louisiana, Bartlett. Compendium of Confederate  Armies: Louisiana, Sifakis.      William T. Maddox (May 22, 1840 – August 18, 1925) LOT 45      William Thomas Maddox was born on May 22, 1840 in Louisiana.  His father, Dr. Thomas Harris Maddox,  is famous for being a participant in the Great Sandbar Duel involving Jim Bowie.  This incident began as a  duel between Dr. Maddox and Samuel Levi Wells III.  Sixteen others, including Jim Bowie, were attending  the duel that day.  After Dr. Maddox and Wells had each fired two shots and missed each other, the two  shook hands ending the duel.  However, as they turned to leave, the sixteen other men began to brawl.   The brawl left two dead and four wounded including Bowie who survived one shot to the chest, one to  the arm, and a stab wound to the chest.  Dr. Maddox was born in Maryland, but as of 1850 he had  moved to Louisiana and become a planter.  Before the outbreak of the Civil War, the family moved for a  short time back to Dr. Maddox’s home state and lived in Annapolis, Maryland in 1860.  During the Civil  War, William T. Maddox enlisted with Companies F of the 13th Louisiana Cavalry Battalion Partisan  Rangers on May 10, 1863, as a private.  He was taken prisoner during the war and paroled on June 21,  1865 at Natchitoches, Louisiana.  After the war, Maddox returned to Rapides Parish and joined his father  as a planter.  Maddox never married.  He passed away on August 18, 1925.      J.K.    Census 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900,& 1920.    Louisiana’s Confederate Pension Applications Index Database.    U.S. Civil War Soldiers Records & Profiles.  Confederate Research Sources:  Vol. 2. M. p. 835                                              George R. Marsh (1843 – August 22, 1920) LOT 18    George Marsh was a part of the Confederate Navy. He joined Stewart’s Calvary but was made an  assistant mechanical engineer on board the Steamer Webb. He was a part of the Webb when it made its  memorable Federal blockade run at New Orleans. George Marsh was eventually captured on April 24,  1865, and held as a prisoner of war. He was taken to Fort Warren in Philadelphia, where he was retained  for some time after the war was over. After the war, he ran a locomotive that came to Alexandria for the  use of construction. He was also one of five Alexandrians that participated in the famous Colfax Riot in  1873. Later in life, he struggled with partial paralysis, which is what he eventually died from. At the time  of his death, his wife and son were still living and residing in Alexandria, La.    The Town Talk (1920), Gone – But Not Forgotten, Central Louisiana Families in 1880, Louisiana Pension  Records, Official Records of the Union and Confederative Navies in the War of the Rebellion  J.E.     

                                           Noble L. McGinnis (August 3, 1829‐ June 14, 1898) LOT 78    McGinnis served at Lieutenant Colonel in Company H of the Texas Second Infantry.  He came to  Alexandria, LA, where he married Monora V. McKinney (January 25, 1857‐August 1, 1891) on December  10, 1872, at the home of R.L. Fox, Rev. A.N. Ogden officiating.  McGinnis was elected city councilman of  Alexandria in 1881 and again in 1887.    C.L.      Isaac Carroll Miller (August 31, 1833‐May 19, 1932) LOT 83    Mr. Isaac Carroll Miller was born on August 31, 1833 in Reading, Pennsylvania. He was the son of Henry  and Elizabeth Miller who were also natives of Pennsylvania. Isaac moved with his parents from  Pennsylvania to Delaware County, Ohio when he was just a few months old for agricultural reasons. His  father passed away in 1848 leaving behind a wife, a daughter, and six sons, including Isaac. His mother  passed on many years later in 1889. Isaac stayed in Ohio until he was a grown man.  When he was  fifteen years old he began to learn the trade of a tinsmith. After learning the trade, Isaac left Ohio at the  age of 17 and went to New Orleans.  He stayed there until 1856, working as a tinsmith.  He then went up  the Red River to Mansfield, Louisiana where he spent about a year and a half. Then he went on to  Natchitoches where he spent approximately the same amount of time. Finally, Miller moved to  Alexandria.  This would become his home. Around the time he came to Alexandria, the war was starting  up. Isaac tossed aside his tool and picked up a musket to serve the South and Confederate government.  He enlisted on March 11, 1862 in New Orleans.  He was in Co. F of the 16 Regiment of Louisiana Infantry.  Miller fought in many battles and sustained injuries.  He was even was taken a P.O.W. Miller was  wounded at the Battle of Murfreesboro in Tennessee 1862‐63. It was a cold, long winter battle between  December and January of 1862‐1863. He sustained a wound to his shoulder and was also captured  during this time at Stones River and taken as a P.O.W. to Camp Morton. He was able to escape,  however.  He was wounded again in Virginia on April 20, 1863 and was transferred to the Crescent Reg.  LA Vols. on August20, 1865.     During the war he also went by the name of J.C. Miller due to a misspelling of his name on government  paperwork. This would be where Isaac would serve out the rest of his time until his company  surrendered at New Orleans on May 26, 1865.  He was then paroled in Natchitoches on June 6, 1865. He  returned to Alexandria in 1866 where he began to work again as a tinsmith but also adding hardware  and farm supplies to his business. For many years he had a large prosperous business until he retired  around 1908. He was married to Miss Levina C. Miller in 1859 in Natchitoches and they had eight  children: four sons and four daughters. By the time of his passing in 1932 he had 26 grandchildren and  15 great grandchildren.      Miller believed strongly in the cause he fought for during the war.  This is evident in the fact that he had  a black house servant, a young 15 year old girl by the name of Lucy Webster. He was a very wealthy and  powerful man in the town of Alexandria.  According to the Census taken in 1870 he had 1800 dollars in  real‐estate and 250 dollars in personal real‐estate which at this time was a great amount of money. He  was a member of St. James Episcopal Church for many years, where he also severed on the vestry. He  served as a member of the City Council and also on the Rapides Parish School Board.  Miller was also a  

member of the Masonic Lodge in Alexandria.  He was a strong, hard working man and loved the city of  Alexandria.  He was one of the most esteemed citizens in the area during his time and at the time of his  death, Miller was the oldest living citizen in Rapides Parish. He lived to be 98 years old.  C.N.       Guide to Louisiana Confederate Military Units 1861‐1865 Arthur W. Bergeron, Jr.   Records of Louisiana Confederate Soldiers and Louisiana Confederate Commands  Andrew B. Booth   Alexandria Town Talk Obituaries May 19, 1932   Confederate Pensions records    1860 U.S. Census       Governor Thomas Overton Moore (April 10, 1804—June 25, 1876) LOT 7    Governor Thomas Overton Moore was born in Sampson County, North Carolina. He moved to Rapides  Parish and became a prosperous cotton planter. Moore married Bethiah Jane Leonard and together they  had five children. Moore worked on his uncle’s plantation and eventually saved up enough money to  purchase his own plantation. Moore became very wealthy and very successful at being a cotton farmer  and eventually served in Rapides Parish on the Police Jury. In 1848, Moore was elected to the State  House of Representatives and then in 1856 to the State Senate. In 1859, Moore was the leading  candidate for the Democratic party and was elected Governor that November. Moore was a staunch  secessionist, who was looking to have a major role in the new Confederate states if secession was  possible. After Lincoln was elected, Moore held a meeting where it was decided to seize multiple U.S.  military installations in Louisiana. He later asked Louisiana to supply large numbers of troops, which  were granted to him. In April of 1862, the state Capital in New Orleans is taken by the Union, but Moore  moved it to Opelousas, and then to Shreveport. In 1864, Moore left the position of Governor and Henry  Allen took over. Moore returned to his plantation in Alexandria, Louisiana, however, he eventually had  to flee as the Union troops moved ever closer. His house was eventually burned by the Union troops and  Moore fled to Mexico and later to Cuba to avoid arrest. In 1865, Moore returned to the United States  with a pardon from Andrew Johnson. Moore went back to work but not in politics. He eventually died on  June 25, 1876 at the age of 71. Moore is most remembered for playing several key roles in the rebellion  and secession of Louisiana.   D.B.‐bio.htm     

  Mitchell Neal (December 21, 1842—May 22, 1889) LOT 38    Mitchell Neal was born on December 21, 1842 to his mother, Malissa Neal. Mitchell was the fourth of  five children. Before the Civil War, the family lived near Many, Louisiana. During the Civil War, serving  the Confederate States of America, Neal was a 2nd Lieutenant in Company I of the Crescent Regiment of  the Louisiana Volunteers. Serving under General Clack in Clack’s Battalion, he fought at Georgia Landing  near Labadieville on October 22, 1862. He was on absent sick furlough in 1863. Under the Consolidated 

Crescent Regiment, still working under Clack, Neal was involved in the Red River Campaign from May 10  to May 22, 1864. He also fought at Mansfield on April 8, 1864, Pleasant Hill on the very next day, and  Yellow Bayou a little over a month later on May 18, 1864. His last action in the Civil War came at the  Atchafalaya River on June 8, 1864. After the war, Mitchell Neal returned to Louisiana, this time to  Rapides Parish, to live with his mother and continue his work as a planter. In the mid to late 1870’s,  Mitchell Neal married his wife, Fannie. They had one son, Mitchell, Jr. He also started a new job around  this same time period, working as a store clerk in the Alexandria area. Neal stayed in Rapides Parish until  his death, in May of 1889.   S.J.    United States Census: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880. Compendium of Confederate Armies: Louisiana, Sifakis.  Military Record of Louisiana, Bartlett.                        Rev. Abner Nash Ogden (1833‐1881) LOT 95    Abner Nash Ogden, Jr. enlisted in the 1st Louisiana Heavy Artillery as a Lieutenant at Fort Jackson,  Louisiana on March 24, 1861. He was a commander of Company K, which served at Fort Jackson and  Fort Philip, below New Orleans, throughout the fall and winter of 1861. It is not certain where Ogden’s  company served after 1861, due to the number of consolidations and the fact that of the ten companies  of the 1st Louisiana Heavy Artillery, only four remained at the end of the war.  Before the war, Ogden  married Virginia Gordon at Rough and Ready on June 19, 1856 by the Rev. A.D. McCoy.  He had a son  named Nash Gordon Ogden who was born May 17, 1859.  After the war, Ogden was the Reverend  Rector at St. James Church from February 24, 1872 to April 13, 1879.    P.R.    Alexandria Committee of Louisiana Society of Colonial Dames of America.  Bible Records 1976‐1980   Bergeron, Arthur W.  Guide to Louisiana Confederate Military Units 1861‐1865.  Gone ‐ But Not Forgotten: Cemetery Inscriptions of Rapides Parish.  Vol. II        James W. Osborn (1838‐1876) LOT 93      James W. Osborn enlisted as a private in the 24th Regiment, also known as the Crescent Regiment,  Company E on October 3, 1862.  When he first enlisted, Osborn worked in the Ordinance Department in  Shreveport, Louisiana. After his work in the Ordinance Department, it is possible that he patrolled South  Louisiana with the rest of the Crescent Regiment.  After his service in the Civil War, Osborn married Ann  E. Culberson on January 31, 1871.  He also held the positions of Councilman and Mayor in Alexandria.   Osborn was a respected and trusted merchant in Alexandria.  P.R.    Bergeron, Arthur W.  Guide to Louisiana Confederate Military Units 1861‐1865.  McManus, Jane Parker and Mary Parker Partain.  Gone ‐ But Not Forgotten: Cemetery   Inscriptions of  Rapides Parish.  Vol. II  Obituary in “The Democrat”  Records of Louisiana Confederate Soldiers and Louisiana Confederate Commands.   

John Osborn (1831 – June 15, 1897) LOT 93    John Osborn was a part of the Reserve Corps. He was a Prisoner of War – Paroled in Alexandria on June  7, 1865. He resided in Rapides Parish.   J.E.     Sources: Central Louisiana Families in 1880, Gone – But Not Forgotten, The Roster of Confederate  Soldiers 1861‐1865, Records of Louisiana Confederate Soldiers and Louisiana Confederate Commands                                           Thomas H. Overton (March 26, 1835‐ August 4, 1913) LOT 113    He was born at Opelousas the son of John H. Overton, district judge of the Opelousas district, and Emily  King, daughter of Judge George R. King, of St. Landry. In1869, he was united in marriage to Miss Laura E.  Waddill, eldest daughter of the late John P. Waddill, a prominent lawyer of the Avoyelles bar.  Four  children were the issue of this union, Judge Winston Overton of Lake Charles;  John H. Overton, of  Alexandria, and  Mrs. Claude Brooks, of Baton Rouge, who survive him, and Ella, who died in infancy.    He attended the University of Virginia, and graduated at the Louisiana Law School (now Tulane) in 1858,  beginning practice in Opelousas. He enlisted in 1861, became a captain of company B, 1st regiment  Louisiana regulars, resigning this rank in May, 1861, to accept that of 1st lieutenant in the regular   army of the Confederate states. He was on the staff of Maj. Gen. D. H. Hill, Army of northern Virginia,  and Lieut. Gen. Holmes in the Trans‐Mississippi  Department later in the war. He was mustered out in  June, 1865.  He was present at Pensacola in 1861, South Mountain, Sharpsburg  and Harrison's Landing  in 1862 among many other battles.  The year after the war he was elected prosecuting attorney of the  district composed of Avoyelles, Pointe Coupee and East Feliciana. He was district judge from 1884  to  1888 of the district composed of the parishes of Avoyelles, Rapides and Grant.  He served 4 years on the  state board of education, during the administration of Gov. Foster and later consented to serve for the  board of school directors of Avoyelles parish, from which he resigned in 1904 on account of his removal  to Alexandria.  P.H.    Louisiana: Comprising Sketches of Parishes, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons, Arranged in  Cyclopedia Form (volume 3), pp. 340‐341.  Edited by Alcée Fortier      Rev. Ralph Hylton Prosser (October 8, 1847—July 31, 1923) LOT 60    Rev. Ralph Hylton Prosser was born in Wilkinson County Mississippi.  His father and mother were Daniel  and Sarah Prosser, planters from Virginia.  He enlisted in the Confederate Army in September of 1864 in  Virginia.  He was a private in Company F. 43rd Virginia Cavalry.  He was with the famed commander  Mosby and got captured on one of his raids.  He was held at Ft. Warren as a P.O.W. until June of 1865  and arrived home in Mississippi in July of 1865.  From 1881 and on, with the exception of one year in  Texas, he lived in various places throughout Louisiana and Rapides Parish until his death in 1923 at the  age of 75.   M.K.    Confederate Pension Records, 1850 Census, Gone But Not Forgotten  

                                                                                      George A. Roberts (August 18, 1843 –April 15, 1914) LOT 20      George Albert Roberts was born in Portland, Maine on August 18, 1843. He got caught up in the  Western fever and moved out to Ashkum, Illinois, approximately 73 miles south of Chicago.  His people  built one of the first dwellings there in 1855. He remained here until around 1857 when he moved to  Marshall, Texas. He remained there a short time with his relatives before migrating to the Hill Country of  Texas.  Roberts stayed there leading the life of a cowboy until the upstart of the Civil War.  He was one  of the first men to enlist in Company A, Fourth Texas Cavalry in the service of the state of Texas.  He  then enlisted with the 12th Texas Cavalry under Captain Joseph P. Ware and Colonel W. H. Parsons.  Mr.  Roberts served as a Confederate soldier the entire four years of the war. At the end of the war, Roberts  was in Alexandria with the Trans‐Mississippi Department under the direction of Major Mason. He  returned home in 1865 riding a mule.  He had been gone from his home since 1857.      Six weeks after returning home, he married North Carolina native Miss Missouri A. Spurlin. They moved  to Alexandria and lived together for 31 years. The couple had five children: two boys and three girls.   The two boys, however, passed away before reaching adulthood. His wife also passed away in  Alexandria in 1874. He then remarried to Miss Clara M. Roberts on Dec. 6, 1897.  She was born and  raised in Alexandria, Louisiana.  He was a very successful business man and had his hand in many  different operations. In 1872, he formed a co‐partnership with his brother Charles E. Roberts.  They  were in the sawmill business in both Tyler, Texas and Robertsville, Louisiana.  He and his brother were  also large stockholders in the Rapides Lumber Company located in Woodworth, Louisiana.  Later, he and  his brother also started Roberts Brothers Hardware House, which at the time of his death in 1914 was  still open as the Rapides Hardware Company. He retired around 1900 due to a decline in his health.   Roberts had traveled around most of the country seeking medical help but his health never improved.   Mr. Roberts was a great man in every sense of the word.  He had many friends and was liked by  everyone he met.  He was a very calm and passive person who would never have hurt anyone by his  words or actions. He was a very methodological man, maintaining a diary of the doings of the city and  the community, especially the weather which he kept in his front shirt pocket so that he was ready at a  moment’s notice to settle any weather matters with his pocket diary. He was also a member of the  Oliver Lodge No. 84, F &A. M. and of Alexandria Lodge No.3410 K of H.  He also organized a Masonic  Lodge in Robertsville while he lived there. Mr. Roberts could no longer take the incurable illness and he  committed suicide with a pistol on April 15, 1914 at 6:15 in the morning.  Mr. Roberts used a revolver to  fire four shots, two of which struck him in the face, one in the side of the temple, and the other in the  corner of the mouth which exited through the nose. He had been extremely sick for three years.    C.N.     Records of Louisiana Confederate Soldiers and Louisiana Confederate Commands, Andrew B. Booth   Alexandria Town Talk Obituaries April 15, 1914   Confederate Pensions records    St. James Church and Clergyman’s Record Book   1870 U.S. Census Records     

C.L. Robinson (1840‐1905) LOT 38    Charles L. Robinson was born to Andrew and Elizabeth Robinson in 1840 in Mississippi.  His father was a  farmer.  Charles was the oldest of eight surviving children.  Andrew moved the family to Jackson Parish,  Louisiana by 1850 and continued to farm and work as an overseer.  During the Civil War, Charles served  as a private in Company G of the 2nd Louisiana Cavalry Regiment.  He enlisted on June 2, 1862.  Robinson  was taken prisoner during the war and released on June 3, 1865.  After the war he married Sidney Leona  Taliaferro and moved to Lamourie, Louisiana where he was a planter.  Robinson passed away in 1905.    J.K.    Census 1850, 1860, & 1870.    Louisiana Confederate Pension Applications Index Database.  U.S. Civil War Soldiers, 1861‐1865.  Confederate Research Sources: Vol. 3. R. p. 354      David D. Rogers (August 2, 1843‐April 1, 1898) LOT 37    David D. Rogers was born on August 2, 1843 in Alexandria, Louisiana. Rogers lived his entire life at his  house located on Front Street.  He was a veteran of the Civil War, serving in the Army of the  Confederacy.  He enlisted in Baton Rouge, Louisiana on September 12, 1861, and was a private in  Company D 1st Louisiana Cavalry. Rogers was a P.O.W. during much of the war.  In December 1863, he  was captured in Middle Tennessee while on a raid with General Wheeler. He was then taken to a  military prison in Louisville, Kentucky. On October 15, 1863, he was taken to Camp Morton where he  stayed until March 15, 1865 when he was sent by rail road to James River, Virginia to be exchanged for a  Union P.O.W. He was paroled in Jackson, Mississippi on May 19, 1865, and then returned back home to  Alexandria, Louisiana.   C.N.      Records of Louisiana Confederate Soldiers and Louisiana Confederate Commands,  Andrew B. Booth   Alexandria Town Talk Obituaries April 1, 1898   St. James Church and Clergyman’s Record Book   1870 U.S. Census Records       W. J. Rogers (1842‐ March 11, 1882) LOT 37    Private Company F, Twenty‐Sixth Louisiana Infantry, Rogers was an assistant surgeon in the Army of  Northern Virginia.  Rogers is on the C.S.A. Roll of Prisoners of War and was paroled at Alexandria, LA, on  June 3, 1865.  C.L.      Dr. Stephen Harris Rushing (October 25, 1830—April 20, 1905) LOT 84    Dr. Stephen Harris Rushing was born on October 25, 1830 in Waynesboro, North Carolina. He was the  son of Colonel James and Susan Rushing. Colonel Rushing was employed in cotton farming. Dr. Rushing  attended Tutwiler College in Green Springs, Alabama and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania 

at Philadelphia with a degree in medicine in 1853. For a time he practiced medicine in Ouachita Parish,  but eventually he set up his practice in Evergreen around 1856. In 1857, he married Flavilla J. Duvall.  They had three daughters: Mary Eliza, Inez May, and Flavilla Duvall.    He enlisted in the Confederate army on April 2, 1862. He originally joined as a private in the 16th  Louisiana Regiment Company H (the Evergreen Invincibles), but was drafted to be the staff surgeon of  General Jesse Johnson Finley, Army of Tennessee. He was present for most of the battles in the west.     After the war, he returned to Evergreen, Louisiana where he continued to work as a practicing physician.  In 1886, Dr. Rushing moved to Alexandria. He lived on Bolton Street until his death on April 20, 1905. He  is buried in Mount Olivet Cemetery in Pineville, Louisiana on lot 84. His monument stands today, proudly  bearing the symbol of the Royal Arch Masons, the organization of which he was a member. Next to Dr.  Rushing’s grave stand those of his wife and daughter (both named Flavilla) and his son‐in‐law Frederick  Bradt.  J.P.    Futch, Catherine Baillio. The Baillio Family. Baton Rouge, LA: 1961  Booth, Andrew B.. Records of Louisiana Confederate Soldiers and Louisiana Confederate Commands.  Spartanburg, SC: Reprint Co., 1984  General Alumni Catalogue of The University of Pennsylvania 1922. Philadelphia: University of  Pennsylvania Press, 1922  Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Northwest Louisiana. Hagerstown: Southern Publishing  Company, 1890.  Obituary of Stephen Harris Rushing, The Alexandria Daily Town Talk (Alexandria, LA), April 20, 1905.     

                 Frederic Seip (August 5, 1840 – November 13, 1911) LOT 13    Major Frederic Seip was born in Rapides Parish in 1840. Major Frederic Seip attended Princeton and  graduated in the year 1860. He served in the war for Company K, Alexandria Rifles, Crescent Regiment.  He was a Lieutenant of his company and served in the Tennessee Army. Later, he was transferred to the  Trans‐Mississippi Department. After the war, he went back to Rapides Parish to his wife, Adelia Flint,  who died in 1878. He later married Emeline Flint and they had four sons. He served as a police juror for  many years and in 1888 he was elected to the state senate. He was reelected in 1892 for four more  years. He was president of the Rapides Parish police jury for 16 years. He was also Commander of Jeff  Davis Camp, U.C.V. Many people in Rapides Parish knew Major Frederic Seip. He died of heart failure in  1911 and was survived by his wife sons.  J.E.    The Town Talk (1911), Gone – But Not Forgotten, Central Louisiana Families in 1880, The Confederate  Veteran Magazine, .St. James Episcopal Church – Baptisms, Confirmations, Marriages, and Burials 1886 –  1920     

William Henry Simmons (1831—1899) LOT 55    William Henry Simmons was born in 1831 and died in 1899. He is buried next to two other family  members in Mount Olivet Cemetery in Pineville. His Wife Emma and son Willie Wood who passed away  at the age of 10 months are next to him in the cemetery.  There is no recorded information on Simmons  in the Census record of 1880 and 1870.  He fought for Louisiana in the war and was a private in company  F of  the 3rd Louisiana Infantry Regiment.  This regiment fought its first battle at Wilson’s Creek, Missouri  in 1861.  A Captain of the regiment rode along the unit’s line when they were taking heavy fire from a  regular Union army unit and yelled, “Get up Louisianans and charge them! Do you all wish to be killed?”   In response the 3rd a unit of citizen soldiers rose and “with a tremendous cheer, so fearful, rushed on the  foe with fixed bayonets.”  They drove the Union men away from a fence and “poured in a heavy, rapid  fire into their ranks, killing and wounding large numbers, punishing them thoroughly for the damage  already inflicted on us,” one soldier remembered. The unit fought at the battle of Pea Ridge in Arkansas  in 1862 and then in the Vicksburg campaign in 1862‐63. Some of the men went on to serve in the Red  River Campaign. Simmons was captured as a prisoner of war.  He was paroled in mid June of 1865 in  Alexandria Louisiana.  He then resided in Rapides Parish afterward.   K.B.    Gone But Not Forgotten: Cemetery Inscriptions of Rapides Parish   Records of Louisiana Confederate Soldiers and Louisiana Confederate Commands   Guide to Louisiana Newspaper Notices: Death and Marriage 1825‐1905, Volume 1   A Southern Record: The History of the Third Regiment Louisiana Infantry, W.H. Tunnard     

  W.E. Taylor (July 23, 1841‐ March 6, 1902) LOT 74    Private Company G, Second Louisiana Cavalry. He appears on the roll dated August 21, 1862, in  Alexandria, LA, and on subsequent rolls without remarks.  The remark for the July‐August 1863 roll  states that Taylor is absent, taken prisoner on May 15 at Cane River.  The Federal Rolls of Prisoners of  War lists Taylor as captured at Cheneyville on May 10, 1863, and paroled off Grant's Island on May 30,  1863.  Another Confederate roll lists Taylor as being paroled on June 3, 1865, in Alexandria, LA, which  suggests another capture. Taylor remained in Rapides Parish and married Elizabeth Andrews (August 28,  1851‐October 22, 1929).  Taylor died at his home near Weil in Rapides Parish at 9:30 p.m., of  pneumonia.    C.L.      Ennemond Meuillion Wells (1831—1916) LOT 71    In the Census records of 1870, Wells is recorded and is listed to have been born in 1831(in Louisiana). He  died in 1916.     Montfort Wells, father of Ennemond, was a pioneer of Rapides Parish, Louisiana. He served as a  representative in the state senate. He was born into the Spanish controlled Louisiana in 1800 on a  

plantation. He later became a French subject, then a citizen of the young United States of America,  afterwards a citizen of the Confederacy, and once again a citizen of the U.S.A.      Just as his father, Ennemond Wells was born on a plantation: the Wellswood Plantation. Ennemond was  the fourth child born to General Montfort Wells and Jeannette Amelia Dent. Ennemond was a man who  was small in stature and was highly intellectual.  He attended superior schools of the country and was  sent to Europe to finish his education.  This educational procedure was very common for those who  were born into a family of rich southern planters.     At twenty six years old, on April 22, 1858, Ennemond married Frances Maria Brent.  Frances was the  daughter of James Fenwick Brent and Laura Harriet Overton, who were natives of Maryland and Virginia.   Frances’s grandfather, General Walter Hampton Overton, served as the commander of Ft. St. Philip  below New Orleans at the time of English invasion in the years of 1814 through 1815.  Frances was born  in Rapides Parish of General Overton’s residence on June 14, 1839.    In the early years of their marriage, the Wells rented a cotton plantation in Bayou Rapides.  Later, they  moved to Bayou Robert, a few miles south of Alexandria, to own and operate the St. Philip Plantation.   This plantation was inherited by Frances though her father.  It was named after the fort in which her  grandfather heroically defended against the British. Ennemond’s wife, Frances, died on the plantation  on March 20, 1904.  Ennemond and Frances Wells had a total of seven children. Only three of them  made it to adult life: Alice wells (1861), Harriet Overton Wells (1863), and Montfort Wells (1865).      Montfort, the sixth child of Ennemond, and the last to reach a mature age, was the only child of the  Wells’ which was not born in Louisiana.  He was in fact born in Texas in 1865, during the war.  He was  born in Texas due to the fact that his parents made a temporary move across state in attempt to save  property from the confiscation and ruin which was possible at the hands of the federal troops under the  command of General Banks. Banks in 1863 and 1864, was destroying all land which he encountered as  far north as Alexandria.  This threat forced heavy migration of Louisianans into Texas to save their slaves  and assets from being burned.   K.B.    Central Louisiana Families in 1880 (Ruff)  Wells Family of Louisiana and Allied Families (Stafford)  Guide To Louisiana Newspaper Notices: Death and Marriage 1825‐1905 Volume I                                                         Jefferson Wells (1834‐1929 ) LOT 64    Born to Montfort and Jeannette (Dent) Wells. He attended Benjamin Hollowell Academy, of Alexandria,  Va.  He managed his father’s cotton plantation. He worked 2,800 acres of cultivated land and 500 slaves.   In 1860 Mr. Wells married Ida, daughter of James Fenwick and Laura H. (Overton) Brent. He was  involved in politics and assisted his family members in their pursuits.  P.H.    Louisiana: Comprising Sketches of Parishes, Towns, Events,   Institutions, and Persons, Arranged in Cyclopedia Form (volume 3),   Edited by Alcée Fortier   

  Major John Jennings Wheadon (March 10, 1837—April 14, 1912) LOT 10    Wheadon was located in the Roster of Confederate Soldiers and served as a Staff Major.  He was born in  Smithfield, Virginia.   K.B.    Roster of Confederate Soldiers: 1861‐1865 (Bradfoot)  Gone But Not Forgotten: Cemetery Inscriptions of Rapides Parish (Partain)  Marriages of Some Virginia Residents 1607‐1800 (Wulfeck)      James Gibson White (May 19, 1837 –May 1905) LOT 68    James Gibson White was born in Ohio on May 19, 1837.  It is possible that he is the James G. White who  enlisted in the Confederate Army at Camp Moore, Louisiana in 1861 as a 1st Lieutenant in Company C. of  the 11th Louisiana Infantry.  He was a lawyer by trade and owned a significant amount of real estate by  1870.  He was married to Laura B. and had a daughter named Anna B. White who was born in August of  1869.  James Gibson White passed away in May of 1905 at the age of 68.   M.K.    1870 Census (Ancestry Library), Roster of Confederate Soldiers, Gone But Not Forgotten    ___________________________________________________________________________________    Persons Buried at Mount Olivet Who Lived During the Civil War Without Any Service Records Found      Charles Boyce (May 27, 1827—November 25, 1871)                                                                                                                                                                                    P.A.    Gone But Not Forgotten – Cemetery Inscriptions of Rapides Parish, Mary Parker Partain  The Roster of Confederate Soldiers 1861 – 1865 Vol. II,Bell H.      Charles  Carroll (August 16, 1843‐August 8, 1896)  C.N.      Baylis C. Duke  June 18, 1830—January 6, 1901  Born near Columbus Georgia  C.N.      John T. Harwood (____—June 23, 1914) Native of England.  K.W.    Mount Olivet Cemetery,    

  Robert W. Johnson (1835‐1896)  C.L.      George Barnard Lee (May 25, 1844—January 8, 1906)    George Barnard Lee was born in Canandiagua, NY in 1844 and died in Marshall, TX on January 8 1906.  Lee married May E. Miller and together, the two had a son named George Bernard Lee, Jr.  K.W.      John Henry Lein (1833‐1911)  C.L.      Eugene Bankhead Pendleton (December 27, 1828—October 1900)  K.B.      Charles Owens (1839—November 18, 1909)    Charles Owens was born in Ireland in 1839 He came to America during the war. Owens married his wife  Lily in 1871.  He may have served in the U.S. Navy and a New York Regiment.  No confirmation was  found.   K.B.‐louisiana‐at‐kelly‐field.html  Roster of Confederate Soldiers: 1861‐1865 (Bradfoot)  Central Louisiana Families in 1880(Ruff)      Robert Richardson  J.P.      Charles E. Roberts (1846‐1926)  He was married to Elizabeth Jessie Spurlin.    P.R.    McManus, Jane Parker and Mary Parker Partain.  Gone ‐ But Not Forgotten: Cemetery Inscriptions of  Rapides Parish.  Vol. II      Henry M. Roberts (August 8, 1845—March 11, 1909)  J.P.     

John Curtis Rogers (June 17, 1839‐ September 10, 1898)    John Curtis Rogers was born June 17, 1839 in Louisiana to Clara Rogers.  He had at least five brothers  and sisters: William, David D., Henry, Clara, and Russell.  By 1860 he had become a clerk, possibly at a  warehouse, the same one which by 1880 his brother, William was working.  John Curtis Rogers passed  away on September 10, 1898 at the age of 58.  M.K.    1860 and 1880 Census at, Gone But Not Forgotten       George H. Sallis  (December 4, 1827—November 8, 1889)  George H. Sallis was born in Georgia and lived in Spring Hill, Rapides Louisiana. He had three children  according to the 1870 census.‐bio.htm

  William James Semple (1846‐1884)    William James Semple was the son of Samuel and Matilda Semple.  No records of Civil War participation  found.    P.R.    McManus, Jane Parker and Mary Parker Partain.  Gone ‐ But Not Forgotten: Cemetery Inscriptions of  Rapides Parish,  Vol. II  Ruff, Verda Jenkins.  Central Louisiana Families in 1880: A Genealogical Guide to Rapides Parish During  the Post‐  Civil War Period.      Erastus Cook Sober (June 2, 1841‐ January 24, 1923)  C.L.      E.T. Shumake (May 4, 1844—May 20, 1884)    Native of Baker County, Georgia.  K.W.    Mount Olivet Cemetery,      John Walker (November 21, 1827—September 14, 1911)  P.A.     

J.C. Williams (June 14, 1845—November 7, 1917)  Andrew B. Booth’s Records of Louisiana Confederate Military Units, 1861‐1865 listed several entries for  men named J.C. Williams.    ‐Entry A:  Williams served as a private in Company C, 13th Battalion (Partisan Rangers). He enlisted  December 1, 186? in Bastrop, Louisiana. He was present on the roll until December 1862, after  which he was in the “hands of enemy”. From January – April 30, 1863, he was absent with leave.  The Partisan Rangers were coordinated in early 1862. The regiment was led by Major James H.  Capers and Lieutenant Colonels Samuel L. Chambliss and Richard L. Capers. In late 1863/early  1864, the Partisan Rangers joined with Pargoud’s 3rd Louisiana Cavalry regiment.    ‐Entry B:   He served as a 2nd Lieutenant in Company C of the 13th Louisiana Battalion (Partisan –Rangers).  He joined on August 1, 186? (Bastrop).     ‐Entry C:  J.C. Williams was a resident of Tensas Parish. He is on the rolls as a prison of war captured in  that parish. He was thereafter sent to Alton, IL and paroled August 1, 1863.    ‐Entry D:  He served as a private in the 16th LA Infantry Company I.  J.P.    Booth, Andrew B., Records of Louisiana Confederate Soldiers and Louisiana Confederate Commands.  Spartanburg, SC: Reprint Co., 1984  Bergeron, Arthur W.. Guide to Louisiana Confederate Military Units, 1861‐1865. Baton Rouge: Louisiana  State University Press, 1996      George Levi Wilson (December 2, 1833 – 1901)  J.E. 

Without the encouragement of my wife, Amy, and two little ones, Addie and Will, these pages would not have come together. My love to them always. It was Judge Thomas Yeager of the 9th Judicial Court in Alexandria who suggested that a Louisiana College class take up this project. He has a great knowledge of the Red River Campaign as well as other Civil War topics. I hope this guide meets with his high standards. Elizabeth Parish, faculty member at the Norton Library at Louisiana College, came to the class for an instructional session on research methods. She continued to guide the students in their efforts for the entire semester. She has excellent insight into this time period and how to do research on ancestors. The same can be said of the library director, Terry Martin, who followed this project. His tips about researching ancestors with our databases were especially helpful. The staff and student workers at the college library were always of great assistance. The Alexandria Genealogical research Library located in the historic Carnegie building located downtown welcomed the students researching their veterans. This library has an incredible array of source material perfect for this project. David Manning and his staff proved very helpful, each visit, and all were enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Many thanks to Robin Bunting for all her assistance with this project. Without the kind words and encouragement of Dr. Michael Travers, former Vice-President of Academic Affairs at Louisiana College, none of this would have been possible. The new VPAA, Dr. Tim Searcy, is another great man of God. Dr. Joe Aguillard, President of the college, was aware of this service learning project and was delighted to hear it was moving forward. Thanks to Robert Harwell for the cover photograph. Lastly, my thanks to Bishop Bruce MacPherson and greatly to Elaine Hicks for all their help in making the story of these men live in print. God bless them and God bless Mount Olivet.



Patrick Arthur is a senior General Studies major from Alexandria, Louisiana. Daniel Blazek is a senior History major from Lake Charles, Louisiana. Kevin Bryson is a junior Social Studies Education/Science Secondary Teaching major from Houston, Texas. Joni Ewing is a senior Athletic Training major from Oscar, Louisiana. Steven Jones is a senior Health and Physical Education major from Junction City, Arkansas. Matt Keller is a senior Christian Studies major from Terre Haute, Indiana. Jon Michael Kidd is a senior Health & Physical Education major from West Monroe, Louisiana. Charly LaCroix is a senior English major from Jena, Louisiana. Colby Nelams is a senior History major from Sunset, Louisiana. Julie Prevot is a senior History/Biology major from Mansura, Louisiana. Paul Roberts is a senior Social Studies Education major from Pollock, Louisiana. Meagan Wigley is a Chemistry Education major from Poetry, Texas and is the Managing Editor. Kelly Williams is a junior History major from Monroe, Louisiana. Dr. Henry O. Robertson is Chair of the Division of History and Political Science at Louisiana College.

Contributions in support of all the activities of the Louisiana College History Division can be made to 1140 College Dr., LC Box 553, Pineville, LA 71359