Mission San Luis Rey Parish Advisory Board Minutes

Meeting Date: Thursday, July 7, 2011 Place: Parish Center, Rm# 1 Time: 7PM Not In Attendance Members In Attendance

Pastor: Fr. Chuck Talle, ofm Chair: Mai Vo Vice-chair: Cesar Martinez Secretary: Selwyna Tetangco

Arturo Cedillo Allen Hartman Lee Bickford Tavale Tavale

Wanda King, OMMS rep.

Michele Amoranto Sr. Yvonne Hawker

Agenda Item Opening Prayer Approval of May 5th Minutes

Details & Discussion Meeting convened with opening prayer by Mai. Fr. Chuck inquired of any corrections made to May meeting minutes. Lee motioned to approve the minutes as printed, while Tavale seconded the motion. All were in favor of approval. Lee covered fundraising:  A June financial report was passed out to all members  3X15 campaigned has been completed successfuly o Envelopes collected = 1,506 o Money raised = $2,9851  Grand Total raised as of June 28th is $183,750 with final goal to be $330,000  Next fundraiser is Multicultural Festival on July 22nd Allen covered engineering and construction:  Submitted a check ($8,000) and engineering packet to the City of Oceanside and it is currently under plan review, usually 30 days  The City has asked the Parish to compile of list of residents within 1500 feet of the project, so that the City can send out notices that the project is moving along.  Engineer has given the Parish of list of activities of 40 different work items that have been broken-down in terms of cost and man hours. o The list have been given to the Engineering/Construction Committee o Allen with meet with them next week to discuss which jobs can be done by volunteers o Exciting time. Example fence will be torn down in the back and plants are available to landscape the boundary area.

Topic Presenter All members participated

Specific PAB Follow-up None

Lee = Fundraising Any help is welcomed once construction starts

Update on the OLG Sports Court

Allen = Engineering & Construction

1

Mission San Luis Rey Parish Advisory Board Minutes
Meeting Date: Thursday, July 7, 2011 Place: Parish Center, Rm# 1 Time: 7PM

Continued: Update on the OLG Sports Court

Feedback for June 5, 2011 Ministry Picnic and scheduling the 2012 event

o A retired civil engineer/parishioner with experience in project management and road inspection has volunteered to be part of the Engineering/Construction Committee and ensure the project is built correctly. He will also help on MOP and the chapel area Fr. Chuck asked for comments on the picnic. Generally...  Positive Comments: o Good picnic atmosphere o Food was good and nice to have it catered by a parishioner. o People seemed to be enjoying themselves o PAB members had more time to socialize with people instead of busy running the event.  Negative Comments: o Noticed that people tended to separate into their own groups o Line and the wait to get food was long. Some left, to eat somewhere else o Signage could have been better  Some people could not find the ticket table  Not clear that picnic only for ministry volunteers, because some joined the line immediately after Mass  About 20 families went to the Old Mission instead because they did not know it was at the Parish front lawn o RSVPs were turned in at the last minute.  As many as 50 new names were submitted on the day of the event  Other Comments: o Closing cost was $3,600 with catering at $6 /head o Some commented they expected PAB members would be running the event  Ideas for next year: o Should it be done at Old Mission or Parish? o Old Mission catering $10/head, but can use outside catering if we wish  Only cost is donation of $500 to use Old Mission facilities o Saturday? Old Mission may be having a retreat and it’s workday for the Parish o Tentative date agreed upon by all: Sunday, June 3, 2012

Allen

Any help welcomed

Allen

Allen will check with the Old Mission about available dates on their calendar (specifically June 3, 2012) PAB will make other decisions, such as catering, after a date is finalized

2

Mission San Luis Rey Parish Advisory Board Minutes
Meeting Date: Thursday, July 7, 2011 Place: Parish Center, Rm# 1 Time: 7PM

Christmas in July on July 9-10, 2011

Youth Mass starting July 17, 2011

Multicultural Festival on July 22, 2011

Wanda comments:  34th annual event is very well organized - A lot of parent & teacher involvement  A lot of good advertisement  Carnival came in a couple of days ago to set-up  All ride tickets have been sold-out o Thankful that Lee spoke to Amy about printing more ride tickets Fr. Chuck passed out a flyer about the Youth Mass and Youth event. All free events.  Starts at 4PM and ends at 9 or 10PM.  5PM Mass with music geared toward youth, followed by free movie (Blind Side), popcorn, and beverages on the Serra Center lawn  If successful, then will do it once a month Tavale comments:  Date is set on the July 22nd.  Committee is already put together and met a couple of time already. Sel and Lee are also on this committee  Excited to not only share talented performances, but opportunity to bring the community together o 7 or 8 groups will be involved in participating o Youth Group will help in selling raffle tickets o OMMS invitation to participate sent late this year – kids out of school  Printed out 800 tickets and sales are now occurring  Need to submit logistic request to Allen to get proper set-up for the event Tavale sold 4 tickets to a couple of PAB members

Wanda, Lee

Lee and Wanda will talk about printing more ride tickets

Fr. Chuck

None

Tavale

Tavale, Sel, Lee are on the Multi-cultural Festival organizing committee

Men’s Weekend Retreat on August 12-14, 2011 at the Old Mission

Lee passed out a flier on Men’s Retreat  First time to have a Men’s Retreat at the Old Mission San Luis Rey Retreat Center  3-days (Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday morning)  Idea to bring men together in fellowship and faith and learn to work together  Facilitators: Sr. Dorothy McCormick and Fr. Tom Herbst

Lee

None

3

Mission San Luis Rey Parish Advisory Board Minutes
Meeting Date: Thursday, July 7, 2011 Place: Parish Center, Rm# 1 Time: 7PM

“THE GREAT PROCESSION OF THE SAINT”

August 26, 2011 at the Old Mission

Feedback for May 2011 QLM. Do we need a Town Hall meeting?

Fr Chuck announced & Allen discussed:  ~35 parishioners at a meeting last night to discuss preparations for this event. With 8 different committee are formed for different aspects of the event o 10 - 15 minute service at Old Mission Church. Liturgy put together by Lupe o 1 hour procession around the Old Mission grounds with 200 year old statue of St. Louis with incense, candles, Aztec dancers, & maybe Mariachi band and fireworks (if permits comes through). Ending at the Old Mission Church with desserts o Free event to all. With the goal to welcome all Catholics from surrounding parishes to celebrate our patron saint that night. o Prelude to the Heritage Ball the following night o Creating events to build relationship between the Parish/Old Mission & everyone Lee passed out summary notes from QLM and thanked everyone for their help  Meeting turned out very successful, with a positive responses and thanks for giving them the opportunity to add their ideas  Few Big Examples: o Social Outreach- Involve more people in running of Social Concerns o Worship – The need for more adoration space o Education – Tremendous request for English & Spanish language classes. Suggestions to revamp entire OMMS. Donate bibles are collected and then give out to others o Community Building - Encouraged people to come together through working, and lunch together. Kitchen refurbishment  Floor opened to additional comments & should we have a town-hall meeting? o It’s been 5 years since the last town-hall meeting o Consensus to have a town-hall meeting that is open to everyone. Open Serra Center for 1000 people  Date, Day, Time for Town-hall? o Proposed 2 hours long (2-4PM) on Sunday afternoon o Tentative choices between October 9th or 16th Fr. Chuck requested a subcommittee to be formed to prepare for this event.  Lee, Tavale, Arturo, Allen volunteered  Use the QLM summary notes as a guideline of discussion for the town-hall

Fr. Chuck, Allen

Allen, Cesar, Lee took part in last night’s Procession committee

Allen will reserve Serra Center for the town-hall Lee, Fr. Chuck Sub-committee for October Town-hall & the November QLM: Lee, Tavale, Arturo, Allen

4

Mission San Luis Rey Parish Advisory Board Minutes
Meeting Date: Thursday, July 7, 2011 Place: Parish Center, Rm# 1 Time: 7PM

 

Continued: Feedback for May 2011 QLM. Do we need a Town Hall meeting? 

Committee should discern priorities of the “big ideas” for the town-hall Also think about what are the ways people can provide input for the parish future o Talking in the town-hall should not be the only way of getting feed-back  Some people are uncomfortable talking in public  Others are comfortable speaking their minds, but don’t let them take over  Be mindful of differences in language and cultures o Stressed importance that everyone feels they have an equal possibility of participating and be heard  That will promote unity in the parish because of the willingness to listen and respect each other  To accomplish this would be a wonderful proof the Holy Spirit working in our lives. Some suggestions from PAB: o opportunity to submit questions in advance before the town-hall meeting o use Parish Facebook to advertise event and ask for feedback Fr. Chuck also asked the entire PAB to do for the next meeting o Pray-fully review the Summary Notes of the QLM o Discern for yourself what is most important and do-able for the Parish to focus on in the coming months & years Fr. Chuck also asked sub-committee to do for next meeting o Give suggestions for structure o Approaches for communication o Soliciting views for PAB members for their personal response to Summary notes or what may be missing. Fr. Chuck’s personal point of view o can see us emerging with a process for a Master Plan for the Parish, including the construction of new church o This is involve a really concentrated plan of stewardship, not only money but time and talent of parishioners. o Need to find a way to sustain stewardship for generations to come, because there is no doubt that this will become a Lay-lead Parish in the future. The November QLM will be the same committee members: Lee, Tavale, Arturo, Allen

Lee, Fr. Chuck

Sub-committee for October Town-hall & the November QLM: Lee, Tavale, Arturo, Allen

5

Mission San Luis Rey Parish Advisory Board Minutes
Meeting Date: Thursday, July 7, 2011 Place: Parish Center, Rm# 1 Time: 7PM

Continued: Feedback for May 2011 QLM. Do we need a Town Hall meeting?

Stewardship

FYI: Fr. Chuck also spoke of a ministry called FOCUS: Families OverComing Under Distress o Resiliency team on contract with at Camp Pendleton o They send out teams of 2 will help educate our parish family on how to help our military families o Willing to meet & speak to small groups. o A good candidate for future QLM,  but not for November QLM since finishing up town-hall discussion may not give them adequate or respectful time to their cause  Hold exact discussion for August PAB meeting FYI: Absolute need for Offertory Enhancement  It’s been 5 years since this topic has been discussed at the Parish  Finance Council is currently developing a plan and will roll it out when done Background Financial Facts:  Plate collection and envelopes do not pay for the cost of the Parish o Average donation for someone attending Mass on Sunday is $4.50  Bingo, Casa de Amparo rental, and Serra Center rentals make up the difference o Serra Center’s private event rentals will end in 2011 o Casa de Amparo rental is $70,000 / year  The lost of rent from Casa de Amparo will especially be felt o They have partial left the grounds and Parish reduced their rent by ~$1,000/month o Next Jan or Feb 2012, they will have completely left the grounds  For fiscal year 2011-12 the shortfall of $35,000 due to reduced Campo rent  For fiscal year 2012-13, anticipated short-fall of approximately $80,000 o Thus need $1500 - $1600 /week to make up cost gap for running the Parish Question arose of how to use Campo de Ampora area for the Parish’s benefit  Fr. Chuck suggested that this a discernment job for the PAB o PAB provide the footwork for investigating options, soliciting information, etc… o PAB then will offer the Parish practical recommendations for use o Examples:  Use it as educational space? Retreat space? Space to create income? o New sub-committee for Campo Space discernment: Allen, Mai, Cesar, Sel

Lee, Fr. Chuck

Sub-committee for October Town-hall & the November QLM: Lee, Tavale, Arturo, Allen

Allen, Fr. Chuck

Sub-committee for best use of Campo space: Allen (chair), Mai, Cesar, Sel

6

Mission San Luis Rey Parish Advisory Board Minutes
Meeting Date: Thursday, July 7, 2011 Place: Parish Center, Rm# 1 Time: 7PM

Church directory by Lifetouch

Do we want retreats for Advent/Lent 2011-2012

Allen has been contacted by tenacious salesperson named Judy from Lifetouch  Because of current global recession recovery, there was a concern that parishioners would be pressured to purchase pictures  Lifetouch response once parishioner comes to get their picture taken: o 1 free 8X10 picture – any format wallet-size, two 5X7 or full portrait, etc… o 1 free directory o If parishioner decides to order pictures:  Seniors get 20% discount  Schedule appoint on-line, get $10 coupon  Bring perishable food item, get $5 coupon  All coupons can be combined o Parishioners have access to their on-line directory, where info can be edited o Parish gets a CD where it can use to upload pictures to the Parish database  This is community builder and it has been ~4.5 years since last directory o Informal estimate that the Parish turn-over every 3 to 4 years, so timing is right  Lifetouch will pay for all expenses. o No cost to Parish o Lifetouch has automated phone bank with message from Fr. Chuck to call parishioner and encourage entire community participation o 3 to 4 weeks to take all pictures, anywhere on Parish campus o Fundraising: Pages in album for advertisement  What is needed is a Promotional Committee to advertise and set-up appointments, but Lifetouch will do all the actual work Fr. Chuck did a short review of how some retreats last year  Some were well-attended but others were not. So a  Are retreats wanted by Parish? o If yes, then by September 1, 2011 all preparations must be done for retreats  General comments: o The SCC Core Group is reforming and so a retreat may be welcomed to help them strengthen their communities and encourage new participation o Retreats welcomed but need better promotion of where they are located since there was confusion between meeting place at the Parish or Old Mission

Allen

PAB responded favorably and Allen will contact Lifetouch to give them the green-light

Fr. Chuck‘s responsibility Fr. Chuck PAB encouraged to share their ideas before next meeting

7

Mission San Luis Rey Parish Advisory Board Minutes
Meeting Date: Thursday, July 7, 2011 Place: Parish Center, Rm# 1 Time: 7PM

Continued: Do we want retreats for Advent/Lent 2011-2012

 Reprisal of responsibilities & Closing Prayer

 

o Because of busy schedules of parishioners- If have multiple day retreat encourage speakers to make each day independent topic, so attendees who cannot attend all the days, still feel encouraged to come on the days they can. If they are required to do a reflection and return, it may discourage participation o Overall need better promotion in advance of where and when so parishioners know well advance & perhaps increase likelihood of good participation o Hispanic community has a strong desire for their traditional retreat 3-days before the Feast of Guadalupe The Parish Staff o believed that the desire of retreats must come from parishioners; otherwise why do all the work and then have poor attendance o Past poor attendance of retreats was due to poor publicity and also formatting problem o Format of retreats needs to be carefully considered:  Example: Traditional or non-traditional days  Some noted that Saturdays are busy for people so traditional time of starting on Sunday and going forward during the week might work out best. Every PAB member spoke aloud to the group about their list of responsibilities they will be working on before the August meeting o see ”Specific PAB Follow-up” column of these minutes for details Closing prayer by Sel. Meeting adjourned.

Fr. Chuck

Fr. Chuck‘s responsibility PAB encouraged to share their ideas before next meeting

All members participated

None

8

Sign up to vote on this title
UsefulNot useful