RefWorks Help Guide No.
2 Importing items from the library catalogue and exporting items from databases
Importing items from the library catalogue
1. Click on Search and then select Online Catalog or Database.
2. Select University of Lincoln Library Catalogue from the Search drop down list. It is listed under University of Lincoln Specific near the top of the list. 3. Enter your search term(s) in the Quick Search Terms box. Hint: You will get a better set of results when you search for something specific rather than searching for a broad subject area. Alternatively select Advanced Search and enter search terms for particular fields e.g. author, title etc. To add more fields, click on the plus sign:
4. Select the reference(s) that you want to keep by clicking in the corresponding Ref ID boxes. Click on Import, then OK then View Last Import folder.
Exporting items from databases
You can search a number of databases directly through RefWorks without having to first log on via the e-Library. You can then import the records. To do this: 1. Follow step 1 above. 2. Select the appropriate databases from the Search drop down list.
3. Select the database you want to search. However, you can also export records directly from the databases on the eLibrary. This method has advantages over the procedure described above. This is because the number of databases searchable directly through RefWorks as you can see from step 2 above, is rather limited. Also, you can be much more specific in your search strategy when using the search interface of the database.
Exporting records directly from the databases
1. Go to the Library section of the Portal and click on e-Library. 2. Select the database that you want to search from the alphabetical list. 3. Click on the title. 4. You will then usually be taken to the initial database page containing the green login box. Under the box, you will see the subheading Help. One of the items is Exporting records to RefWorks. Click on that for step-by-step guidance on how to export records into RefWorks. All databases have different methods of exporting and it is best to check this page first. 5. A number of databases have similarities in the way in which articles can be exported to RefWorks. Databases provided through EBSCOhost (includes Academic Search Elite, Business Source Complete, CINAHL with Full Text, Humanities International Index, MEDLINE, PsycINFO and SPORTDiscus with Full Text) as well as ABI/INFORM Global, ProQuest Biology Journals and ScienceDirect allow you to select relevant articles and then click on Export or Export Citations and then select the RefWorks option. For the EBSCOhost databases, there is an extra step of adding the items to a folder before exporting them.
Exporting records from ABI/INFORM Global / ProQuest Biology Journals
1. Log onto ABI/INFORM or ProQuest Biology Journals.
2. Conduct your search. 3. Mark the items you want to export by clicking in the adjacent box. 4. Click on Export.
5. Select Export directly to RefWorks (N.B. You must make sure you have RefWorks open whilst performing this operation). 6. Your computer screen will then switch to RefWorks. When the records have been imported, you will see the notice Import Completed – 3 references imported. 7. Click on View Last Imported Folder to see the references in your RefWorks account.
Exporting records from the EBSCOhost databases
1. Log onto the appropriate database. You can select a number of databases to search simultaneously. 2. Conduct your search. 3. Click on Add to folder for those articles you want to download. 4. Under the heading Folder has items, click on Folder view. 5. Reselect the items by clicking in the box Select / deselect all or click in the box(es) next to each article. 6. Click on the Export icon.
7. Click on the radio button adjacent to Direct Export to RefWorks. 8. Click on Save. N.B. if you do not want your items to remain in the EBSCOhost folder, check the Remove these items from folder after saving box.
9. Your computer screen will then switch to RefWorks. When the records have been imported, you will see the notice Import Completed – 2 references imported. 10. Click on View Last Imported Folder to see the references in your RefWorks account.
Exporting records from ScienceDirect
1. Log onto ScienceDirect. 2. Conduct your search. 3. Select the articles you want to export, by clicking in the box adjacent to the article. 4. Click on Export Citations (N.B. make sure that you have RefWorks open whilst performing this operation).
5. On the following screen, select your Content Format and under Export Format, select RefWorks Direct Export.
6. Your computer screen will then switch to RefWorks. When the records have been imported, you will see the notice Import Completed – 2 references imported.
7. Click on View Last Imported Folder to see the references in your RefWorks account.
Exporting records from Google Scholar
1. Go to Google Scholar (http://scholar.google.co.uk) 2. Select Scholar Preferences
3. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and under Bibliography Manager, click on the drop down box adjacent to Show links to import citations into. Select RefWorks from the dropdown box.
4. When you now do a search you will see the option to import into RefWorks.
5. When the records have been imported into RefWorks, you will see the notice in RefWorks: Import Completed – 1 reference imported. 6. Click on View Last Imported Folder to see the reference in your RefWorks account.