You are on page 1of 10

National Identity cards

You have until 13 February 2009 to get your comments in on ID cards. The government has already
agreed that ID cards will go ahead, however there are still questions you can ask about:

1) how to apply for an ID Card .......................................................................3

2) how to keep the ID Card database up to date............................................6
3) who can have access to your information........................ .........................7
4) who will be allowed to apply for ID cards and when........ .........................9
5) how much the ID Card will cost you............................................................10

The background

The basics of the National ID Card scheme are:

• There will be a national database holding all the information people give them
• There will be ID cards in some form
• If you change your details (for example your address or name) you have to let them know,
and you could be fined if you don’t
• Mostly, you have to agree to let someone get your details from the database (for example
your employer)
• However, whether you agree or not, the Police and other Intelligence services can get your
details from the database
• There will be a National Identity Card Commissioner who you can complain to, and who is
responsible for keeping your details safe
• It will be illegal to have fake ID, or tamper with the database. It is perfectly legal not to
apply for an ID card.
• They will cost you money (up to £30 for the first card).

What information will go on the card?

Your personal details:

• Name
• Address
• Date of Birth
• Place of Birth
• Nationality
• Gender1
• Signature
• Your photo
• Your fingerprints (2 out of 10)

Transgender applicants will also have to give details of their previous name and signature

What information will NOT go on the database?

• Medical records
• Criminal record
• Pension records
• Tax records
• Benefits records

Any questions?

If you come up with any questions when you’re reading about these proposals, write them down,
think about what you would like to happen instead, and send the results to:

Robin Woodland
Identity Cards Act Secondary Legislation
Home Office
Identity and Passport Service
Allington Towers
19 Allington Street
London SW1E 5EB

Or email them to with the words Consultation response in the title.

How to apply for an ID card
The government is proposing that the basic application process will be:

• One form to fill in

• Identity and Passport offices around the country to take applications and fingerprints.

They are also saying that if you apply for certain things such as Basic Disclosure/Criminal Conviction
certificates, immigration documents or passports you will have to apply for an ID Card to get them.

What will the form look like?

The application form will ask you for:

• your personal details

• details of a referee
• passport number or details of your parent’s nationalities
• various documents

Personal Details
Name Nationality
Including any previous nationalities.
Including any other names you have been
officially known as.
If you were previously a different gender, you
may have to fill out two forms.
Including any other addresses you’d like to
have on the register, and any addresses in the
National Insurance Number
last 5 years.
Telephone number
The Address you give has to pass this test: Contact telephone n umber.

1) It has to be in the UK Signature

2) And has to be the place you stay in the
most when you’re in the UK Photo
Head and shoulder shot.

Date of Birth

Place of Birth
Town and country.


• Name of referee
• How long the referee has known you
• Where they live
• When they were born
• Their job
• A contact telephone number for them

Passport number or other details

• If you have a valid UK passport, you will be asked for your passport number, date of issue,
and place of issue.
• If not, you will be asked for your parent’s details, including their names, date of birth, home
address, and more.


If you have a valid UK passport you will be asked to post it with the application.

If not, you will need your birth or adoption certificate.

If you were born or adopted after 1983 you will need your parent’s birth or naturalisation

If you are transgendered you will need your gender dysphoria diagnosis or a gender recognition

What will the card look like?

Getting a replacement card
If you need a replacement card as yours has been lost or stolen, you will need to fill in some of the
same details again, to confirm your identity. You will also need to go to an Identity and Passport
office to have your fingerprints checked.

Questions on the application process

The government would especially like to know:

1) Do you have any comments on the application process and the checks we carry out?
2) Do you think that the way we’ve defined Address is right:
a. It has to be in the UK
b. And has to be the place you stay in the most when you’re in the UK
3) What do you think of the information that will be held on the card, and how long should it
be valid for?

See page 2 for how to respond.

How to keep the ID card database
You will need to let the government know within 3 months if some of your details change. If you
don’t, you could be fined.

These are when you have a change of:

• Address
When you are moving in the UK, or moving out of the UK. Holidays and temporary changes
of address don’t count, and if you move address while you are living abroad you don’t have
to inform anyone, unless you are flight personnel.
• Name
• Nationality
• Gender
• Signature
If your signature changes and you are keeping it that way. Temporary changes because of a
broken wrist don’t count.
• Appearance
If your face changes so you no longer look like your photo. Hair colour and other minor
changes don’t count.
• Fingerprints
If your fingerprints change a lot and will stay that way.

These can be changed by telephone or by appointment at an Identity and Passport office.

You also need to let the Identity and Passport service know if you have lost a card, someone has
stolen or tampered with it, or if it has been destroyed.

If you do not tell the Identity and Passport office about the changes, you may get a formal warning,
followed by a civil penalty notice. The basic penalty will be £125.

Questions on changes to the database

The government would especially like to know:

1) What do you think about how we’re asking you to tell us about changes to your details?
2) If you have moved abroad, are the arrangements all right?
3) What would be the best way to cater for people with mental and physical difficulties that
might stop them filling in an application form or telling us about changes? Should we let
carers or others tell us?
4) What would be the best way of telling people which changes they need to tell us about?
5) What do you think about the penalties for not telling us about changes?

See page 2 for how to respond.

Who has access to my data?
The following organisations all have automatic access to the data held on the National ID Card

• Police
• Intelligence Services
• Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs
• Government departments:
o Home office
o Foreign and Commonwealth office
o Department of Work and Pensions
o Department of Transport
o Ministry of Justice

They will all need make sure that your data is secure, and if they do not, they are not allowed to
access the register without reviewing their security policies and getting approval from the Secretary
of State.

Other organisations

Any other organisation must ask you first, and you have to agree that they can see your data.

If you agree to a company seeing your data, that agreement is a one off – they can only request to
see your data once. If they want to see it again, they have to ask you again.

The company needs to give these details when it requests information:

• Company / Trading name

• Registration number
• Address / Trading address
• Names of directors, owners and the company secretary
• What they do

Even if you agree to let a company see your data, if they want to get the information, the company
will need approval from the Secretary of State.

Companies can get approval from the Secretary of State by going through an accreditation process,
which includes a review of any information security measures you have.

Questions on accessing my data
The Government would especially like to know:

1) What would be the best way to give consent, and how would you like to let us know if you
don’t want a company to see your data any more?
2) Which companies would benefit most from being able to access data on the National ID Card
database? We have suggested charities, non-profit organisations, government bodies, banks
and financial services – are there any more? What information should they give us to prove
they are safe to access your details?
3) If a company has requested your details, would you like to be informed in writing?
4) If a company or government organisation fails to keep your data safe, what powers should
the Secretary of State have to stop them accessing your data, and what would they need to
do to be able to access it again?

See page 2 for how to respond.

Who will be allowed to apply for ID
cards and when?
The government is rolling out ID cards in stages.

Foreign Nationals

The first ID cards will be issued to people applying to remain in the UK as a student, or because they
are married to a British citizen.

Airport workers

From Autumn 2009, airport workers who currently need an airside pass will have to have an ID Card.
When they apply for a Basic Disclosure/Criminal Conviction certificate airport workers will have to
apply for an ID card at the same time.

Young people

From 2010, young people turning 16 will have the opportunity to apply for an ID Card.

Everyone else

This will eventually lead to everyone being able to apply for an ID Card by 2012.

Questions on who will be applying for

ID cards and when
The Government would especially like to know if you have any comments on this roll out schedule.

See page 2 for how to respond.

How much will the ID Card cost me?
If you want to sign up for an ID card during the 2009/10 rollout period, it is likely to cost £30, unless
you are an airside worker in which case you will not be charged.

The costs will change as the program is rolled out.

Questions on the cost of ID cards

The Government would especially like to know your opinions on the £30 charge.

See page 2 for how to respond.