Pennsylvania law now requires all voters to present a photo ID every single time they go to the polls.  There are also new rules about how to vote by absentee ballot.   

It’s up to you to make sure you are not denied the right to vote 
  What kind of IDs should I bring to the polls?   In order to vote at your polling place, you must prove your identity by showing one of the following  UNEXPIRED (unless otherwise noted) PHOTO identifications issued by:    • The United States government, e.g., a U.S. passport  • The Commonwealth of PA, e.g., a driver’s license (NOTE: An expired driver’s license is okay as long as  it is within 12 months after the expiration date)   • A PA municipality to municipal employees     • An accredited PA public or private institution of higher learning, e.g., a student card    • A PA care facility, which includes a long‐term care nursing facility, an assisted living residence or a  personal care home     • U.S. Armed Forces branches or their reserves, including the PA National Guard (NOTE: The ID holder  can be a veteran or current member; the expiration date can be indefinite.)      I have a religious objection to being photographed.   You can still vote by presenting a valid non‐photo driver’s license or other non‐photo ID issued by the PA  Department of Transportation (known as PennDOT).     I don’t have any of the forms of ID you mentioned.  You can apply for a PennDOT Photo Identification Card by submitting form DL‐54A and signing an Oath/  Affirmation that you don’t have an acceptable form of ID in order to vote. When completing the application,  you will need to provide:  • Your social security card, and  • Your birth certificate (with a raised seal), certificate of U.S. citizenship, certificate of  naturalization or a valid U.S. passport, and  • Two proofs of residency, e.g., lease agreement, mortgage documents, W‐2 form, tax records or  current utility bill   I live with my parents. Where am I going to get two proofs of residency?  You can bring one of your parents with you to PennDOT to show their driver’s license or non‐driver’s Photo  ID.  As a second proof of residency, you can bring a bank statement, paystub or a credit card bill as long as  the address matches the address on your parent’s ID.     What if I’m an out‐of‐state college student but want to vote at the polls in PA?   Student IDs from non‐PA colleges or universities aren’t an acceptable form of photo ID. If you want to apply  to PennDOT for a photo ID in order to vote, the paperwork from your college showing your dorm room 

assignment and a bill with your dorm room address will be accepted as one proof of residency. Just like the  student who lives at home, a bank statement or paystub can serve as a second proof of residency.     How much will it cost me to get a Photo Identification Card in order to vote?  Nothing. It’s free. (But getting a certified copy of your birth certificate will cost you $10. The fee may be  waived for voters who served or are currently serving in the Armed Forces or their dependents.)    Where can I find the nearest PennDOT office?    Click here for a listing of all PennDOT offices around the state: http://www.dot.state.pa.us/       What happens if I show up at the polls without an acceptable photo ID?   You will have to vote by provisional (paper) ballot. You can also vote by provisional ballot if you say you can’t  afford to get proof of your identity without paying a fee.       Will my provisional ballot be counted?  Not automatically. Within six calendar days of an election, you must affirm – either in person at your County  Board of Elections or by sending the Board an electronic, faxed or paper copy of an affirmation – that you are  the same person who appeared at the polls on election day and cast a provisional ballot and, if this applies,  that you can’t afford to get proof of your identity without paying a fee. You can be prosecuted for perjury if  you give false information.     And I if don’t do this within six days?   Your provisional ballot won’t be counted.     Where can I find my County Board of Elections?   Click here for a listing of all County Boards of Election around the state: http://www.votespa.com/          Do I need to show ID to vote by absentee ballot?    Unless you are a military or overseas voter applying for an absentee ballot, you must prove your identity by  providing one of the following on your application for an absentee ballot:   • Your driver’s license number  • The last four digits of your social security number (if you don’t have a driver’s license)  • A copy of any photo ID that would be acceptable if you were voting in person     • A non‐photo driver’s license or other non‐photo ID issued by PennDOT (if you have a religious  objection to being photographed)      What happens if my absentee ballot is rejected?   If you don’t prove your identify properly, or your proof can’t be verified by the County Board of Elections,  you will get a notice from the Board (along with the absentee ballot) that you must provide acceptable proof  or your absentee ballot won’t count. You have six calendar days after an election to do this.     I’m disabled. Voting is hard enough for me as it is.     If you are disabled and your polling place is not accessible, you are eligible to vote by alternative ballot. The  new Voter ID law doesn’t require you to show proof of identification if you vote by alternative ballot.      

Eight Penn Center 1628 JFK Boulevard Suite 1002 Philadelphia, PA 19103  p. 215‐557‐3600 f. 215‐557‐3608 www.seventy.org 

This is happening really fast. Isn’t the primary around the corner?   Yes, April 24 (you have to register to vote by March 26, by the way). The April 24 primary is like a dress  rehearsal. You will be asked for a photo ID but will still be allowed to vote on the machines without one. It’s a  good idea to bring a photo ID just to get in the habit of bringing it to the polls every time you vote.     Do I have to bring a photo ID to the November election?   Absolutely. PA’s voter ID law goes into full effect for the November 6 general election. In other words, if you  want to vote for president or U.S. Senator or anyone else on the ballot, you must present an acceptable  photo ID.    Visit www.seventy.org for complete information on Pennsylvania’s new voter ID law and the 2012 elections.  

Eight Penn Center 1628 JFK Boulevard Suite 1002 Philadelphia, PA 19103  p. 215‐557‐3600 f. 215‐557‐3608 www.seventy.org 

Sign up to vote on this title
UsefulNot useful