An ERP Story
Group – 5 Sec – B
Abhishek Sethi 1011049 Ankit Sachdeva 1011119 Ankit Surana Sneha Manan S Sreyas Nipun Sharma 1011027 1011005 1011089 1011072
A newly hired Project Manager will not only need to have highly technical skills but also have strong communication and organizational skills as well. in case of marketing & sales collecting the data and consolidating was a big challenge for them as the information of all the three companies was high and diversified. The major challenges for Jean Roberge were: a.1. What should be the key points in the consultants’ presentation to Jean Roberge? Ans: The key points consultant could provide Roberge were the problems and issues with the merge of three companies and data collection process and the need of new integrated system and the advantages after implementation of the integrated system which could improve the efficiency of
. Roberge didn’t do a proper gap analysis.e. HR and marketing & sales. What are the main characteristics and challenges identified by Jean Roberge? Ans: As Jean Roberge was appointed the vice president of Information Technologies Management after the merger of ABS with the acquisition of two major insurance companies i.
3. finance. own work policies so they feel the need of reengineering with the help of an integrated system. Roberge was also concerned about the budget. As the merger took place there was a lot of inefficiency in field of operation. b. To hire a project leader who is well equipped with the qualities which could help ABS could increase the efficiency and guide its team members well. In your opinion. For the restricting the work system a great deal of manual work is required from all the three companies to prepare a consolidated report so that Roberge could exactly know the condition of financial & human resource of ABS. General Maritime Protection of eastern region and Western General Insurance of the west region to make ABS as a major pan Canadian insurer. He didn’t make sure that the transition for the employees is smooth while the three companies are merging and also they change their way of working to adapt to the new style of working. To collect the data of all the three companies and then to design a structured plan for the project. Jean Roberge decided to provide an integrated management system which could be used for financial. I don’t think Jean Roberge took into consideration a “business as usual” rule. as noticed in the case that the Finance department were not satisfied by the integrated system due to lack of difference. Moreover. Involvement of the functional teams was low which may lead to differences among the IT department and other departments of the organization. As of now all the three companies are operating with their own systems. Also Roberge did not take into the account for creating a cross functional team for the individual verticals which was a big drawback as a cross functional team and now that a new software package will be implemented he has ensure that the users are well versed and equipped with right kind of expertise to use the same. HR. Managers in all of the departments will be concerned that “status quo” is maintained. To make a team of people who can work and increase the efficiency. c. does the project have other characteristics or challenges that Jean Roberge did not identify that should also be taken into account? Ans: In my opinion. so he is looking a leader who has a blend completing the work on time while keeping the budget. operations and marketing & sales will bring out the efficiency as Roberge see a high potential in this.
4. to gain the ability to relate the issues which generally comes during this phase of new project. Consultant must have suggested Roberge people with the right blend of person that he is looking for as a project leader which is technically sound and complete the project within a given time frame with in the budget. he has focused on client relationship which has led to lot of appreciation. Prior experience on integration project where he carried out merge of three business units. Ans: The first possible solution would be better access and provide ease in making the business strategy as the restructuring would bring the entire organization into one stop platform wherein it
. Ans: Considering the type of manager that is required by the company who is technically sound and has experience in same profession for the position of current project leader. HR. Also. Strengths in planning. d. HR and sales.
6. SD. Later on. finance. Improper training is given to team members which made them feel that process is more stringent and this integrated system will not improve the quality rather than making it efficient. Evaluate the three curriculum vitae in the appendices and formulate your recommendations in accordance with the needs of ABS Canada. During his work prior experience. h. growth and help the business to grow. Suggest two possible solutions to this project and discuss their advantages and disadvantages. a complaint came against the IT team that they are only concerned with the time guidelines not with the quality of the work and complete business orientation which created chaos among the different departments.e. FI during ITM project. i. Energy and government. B out of three potential applicants for this position because of the following reasons: a. we will recommend Mr. MM. What are the main causes of difficulties in the project? Ans: The major concerns that were coming up within the project is that it was not able to involve the cross function like finance and accounting due to which they feel left out. CS. Possibly consultant would also have experiences with two newly companies that they have acquired IT systems. Roberge also feels that the project leader is not able to manage the different dimensions of project due to which there is gap between the various departments. Payroll. working within the budget sanctioned by the company. Paper. He has managed various large scale development projects in his career. Has prior experience of executing the project on large scale. The bridge between the departments and management lead to more complex issues in actual implementation of the system. Strong knowledge on functional departments i. Strong technical skills in various verticals and vast exposure in various technologies. Vast experience in handling team for project management. Exposure to various industries like Finance.work done in field of operation. Consultant could have given ideas as how to train the people on this new integrated system so as to make it more user friendly for users. Work while keeping the time guidelines and not compromising on the quality of the work. f. g. Also it seems that team members of IT department were not happy with the project leader and its ways of carrying out work within the team. Insurance. Also. Has a quality of project leadership. e. b.
5. c. k. The project manager was only concerned with the IT department not with the coordination with the other departments.
Users were given more responsibility as they started reviewing their business processes which made them feel part of the system. b. For technical experts their responsibilities evolve into the role of consultants who propose configuration options that met the need of the users. Multiple functional teams were formed which included members of different expertise to act as the steering committee. easier interaction among the various functional departments which will help in conducting the company’s operations as a whole rather than individual departments which will enhance the cross functional interactions i.e essential for ABC as an insurance company. What are the key elements that led to the success of the ABS project? Ans: The key elements which led to the success of the ABS project are listed below: a.
7. The new project leader understood the expectations of the management from the project and also understanding the constraints of the budget of the company for the project. their solutions and outcomes of it in the implementation process. Good project management skills were shown by the new project leader. h. e. d. The training and employee development requirement and cost is very high. The project leader who was appointed for the project was replaced by Andre Gagne who has focused more on team coordination. More importance was given to the change management. After the new leader was appointed his main criteria was to gain the confidence of user and team members back which was lost by the previous project leader. There was proper understanding of the problems. Also it would provide better scope to change and alter the business strategy in less amount of time. i.would give a holistic view of the company’s trend and single point data access of all the functions. The disadvantage is that the implementation is a time consuming process and there is uncertainty about the apt number of improvement or cost efficiency. g. The disadvantage is the huge investment required for such a project and the adaptability and response to this system is also a major concern. c.
. The second outcome is standardization of the business processes across the organization which will lead to efficient and productive ways of operations. f.