Chicken and Vegetable Frittata
By: Melanie Jimenez
This is an egg dish similar to the familiar torta—one that doesn’t require any flipping. Make sure to use a nonstick, oven-safe pan when making this, as the last few minutes of cooking takes place under the broiler.
Serves 6 to 8 Prep Time 15 to 20 minutes Cooking Time 15 to 20 minutes
8 eggs 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper (or more, if you’re into pepper) 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 medium-sized zucchini, chopped into 1/2-inch cubes 1 cup chopped fresh asparagus spears (1/2-inch pieces) 1 medium-sized red pepper, chopped into 1/2-inch cubes 1 medium-sized green pepper, chopped into 1/2-inch cubes 100 grams lean ground chicken pinch salt
1 Whisk together the eggs, cheese and pepper in a large bowl. Make sure that the egg mixture is homogeneous (the mixture should be a uniform yellow—yolks and whites completely broken together). Set aside. 2 Preheat broiler to 350˚F. 3 In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté the vegetables in olive oil for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Set aside. 4 Lightly brown the ground chicken in the same saucepan, adding the salt as you sauté the meat. Lower the heat to medium-low and add the sautéed vegetables to the pan. Pour the egg-cheese mixture carefully over the vegetables. 5 Cook the mixture without stirring for 4 to 5 minutes, until you see the edges of the frittata begin to set. 6 Move the pan from the stovetop to the broiler. It will take another 4 to 5 minutes (depending on your oven) for the frittata to finish cooking. The frittata will have puffed slightly, its surface browning slightly under the broiler’s heat. Remove pan from the oven. 7 Let rest for a few minutes before removing the frittata to a serving plate with the use of a plastic spatula. 8 Slice into wedges and serve with a green salad on the side.
By: Carina Guevara
this one’s perfect to serve as a side dish. Add white wine—let reduce until almost dry.
Steamed Vegetables with Herbed Butter
By: Tricel Nava
Steaming preserves the nutrients—and that signature crunch—of vegetables. pepper. and chili flakes. Fresh tasting and delicious.
Serves 4 Prep Time 10 minutes Cooking Time 20 minutes
2 tablespoons chopped garlic 2 tablespoons chopped onion 2 tablespoons butter 1 tablespoon olive oil 1/4 cup white wine 1 kilo clams (cleaned thoroughly of dirt and sand) salt and pepper to taste pinch of chili flakes additional 2 tablespoons butter spaghetti noodles for 4 cooked until al dente
1 In a heavy saucepan.An olive-oil based pasta recipe with clams and white wine. 2 Add clams and steam until clam shells open.
. sauté garlic and onion in butter and olive oil until translucent and fragrant. Serve immediately. Add cooked pasta noodles and toss in remaining butter. Season well with salt.
mix together butter. Toss with the vegetables. 2 In a bowl. Prepare the steamer. steam for about 3 to 5 minutes or until cooked and crisp. finely crushed ½ teaspoon thyme ¼ teaspoon salt ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper 1 Wash vegetables. 3 Place vegetables on a plate. rosemary leaves. sliced in half 2 tablespoons unsalted butter.Simply steam the bag (or zap the veggies in the microwave) and you have a veggie side dish ready in mere minutes!
Pitta bread with cream cheese and roasted vegetables
Wholemeal pitta bread (1) Low-fat cream cheese (20g) Yellow (red/orange) pepper (80g) Red onion (80g)
. Tip Portion the vegetables with the herbed butter mixture in resealable bags for storing in the chiller. and pepper. Split broccoli and cauliflower into florets and set aside. at room temperature ½ teaspoon rosemary leaves. salt.Serves 3 Prep Time 10 minutes Cooking Time 3 to 5 minutes 1 bunch broccoli 1 bunch cauliflower 1 bunch young corn. thyme.
5. so put them in first. Cut the pitta in half to make two pockets.1. 4. 3. Drizzle lemon juice over the apple immediately. Add a teaspoon of mayonnaise (optional) and mix the salad well. Leave the vegetables to cool. Mix into the salad. to prevent browning. then refrigerate overnight. Chop the lettuce and celery. The peppers will need longer than the onion. Roast or grill the vegetables until softened. Night before: Chop half a pepper and half a red onion into small pieces 2. In the morning. 3. 4. split open a pitta. along with the raisins. Chop the apple and add to bowl. and pop in your lunchbox!
1 apple (100g) 2 sticks celery (80g) Lettuce (80g) Raisins (15g) Walnut halves (15g) Lemon juice (teaspoon) (Optional) Light mayonnaise (teaspoon – 10g)
1. spread the inside with cream cheese and add the roasted vegetables 5. (Takes about 5 mins in a George Foreman). Cut the walnut halves in half and add. place in a bowl. until lightly coated in mayonnaise and lemon juice. Burnt Butter Pasta
6. Let the butter brown until breadcrumbs become slightly toasted. By: Len Santos
7. White Adobo
. A pasta dish with just three ingredients and two pantry staples? We’re serious! Give your signature pasta a rest and try this one instead. Add breadcrumbs.
Serves 6 Prep Time 5 minutes Cooking Time 15 minutes
300 grams pasta 1/3 cup butter 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs chopped parsley. season with salt and pepper. Toss in pasta. Melt butter in pan.
8. Its subtle flavor allows it to complement any dish. if desired. Add chopped parsley as garnish. optional salt and pepper 1 2 3 4 5 Cook pasta according to package directions.
By: Carina Guevara 13. The roasted chicken from the supermarket can
be any busy cook’s best friend. sugar. bay leaf. and salt in a pot and add in meat mixture. This pasta dish is the best for a packed lunch because it’s yummy even at room temperature. and Basil
12. adobo cut 1 whole garlic pounded 2 cups white vinegar 1 cup water 5 1/2 tablespoons white sugar 3 teaspoons salt 2 pieces bay leaf 1/4 cup peppercorn
1 Marinate meat in garlic and vinegar for 30 minutes. about 30 to 40 minutes.
Serves 5 Prep and Cooking Time 1 hour and 15 minutes
1 kilo kasim or liempo (pork belly). peppercorn. Pasta with Chicken.9. Turn any leftover of this popular Yummy recipe into a delicious sandwich filling for the following day. Chicken is the most versatile of proteins. 3 Let boil then lower heat and simmer meat until tender. By: Sharlene Tan
10. Leftover tip For adobo flakes: Flake meat and stir-fry in oil.
11. 2 Put water. Garlic. Spend a little on good-quality Parmesan cheese—a
chopped 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes. chopped grated parmesan cheese pepper to taste
21.little goes a long way. shredded pinch of chili flakes (optional) salt and pepper to taste 2 cups cooked pasta of your choice 10 basil leaves. Add sardines just to warm them up. minced 1 cup roasted chicken meat. 18. Sardine Pasta
15. about 8 minutes. Add in chicken and chili flakes. Set aside. Drain pasta when al dente. 20. By: Angelo Comsti 16.
1 Open up each sardine and take out the bones. Remove from fire. Mix well and top with grated parmesan and freshly cracked black pepper.
Serves 2 Prep Time 5 minutes Cooking Time 15 minutes
19. 4 Add noodles and dill. Mash in 2 tablespoons of its own oil. 2 Toss in pasta and warm through. 2 Cook pasta according to package directions. Season well with salt and pepper.
17. Add the basil leaves. washed well Parmesan cheese for topping 1 In a shallow pan.
14. 3 In a pan.
7 pieces Spanish sardines from store-bought jar or can 150 grams spaghetti noodles 2 teaspoons garlic. hydrated in 1 cup warm water 3 tablespoons olive oil 7 sprigs dill. Serves 1 to 2 Prep Time 10 minutes Cooking Time 5 minutes 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 2 cloves garlic. Use that
time to spend some quality time with your partner. and cook until fragrant. 3 Top with shaved Parmesan cheese. cooking the noodles takes longer than preparing the sauce. Serve this tasty pasta recipe warm with garlic bread. sauté garlic and sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil. In this pasta recipe. heat olive oil with the garlic. 22.