Glorious

Places to Visit

Gorey

Mont Orgueil Tel: 853292 Fax: 854303 www.jerseyheritagetrust.org Built in the thirteenth century to protect the island against the French, this dramatic castle is one of the best preserved castles in Britain. Winter Open 10am to 4pm, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday until 18th March Adult, Senior citizen, Student over 16 years and Child (6-16 years) .......................................£7.50 Family Ticket .........................................................£22.00 Summer Open 10am to 6pm daily (last admission at 5 pm) 18th March to 2nd November Adult ...........................................................................£9.30 Senior Citizens ........................................................£8.50 Student over 16 years and Child (6-16 years) .......................................£5.50 Family Ticket .........................................................£26.00

Churches
Gouray Church La Grande Route de Faldouet, St.Martin. Tel: 853255 Our Lady of the Assumption Church Gorey Village, St.Martin Tel: 853953

www.jersey.com
Jersey Tourism, Liberation Place, St Helier, Jersey JE1 1BB Tel: +44 (0)1534 448877 Fax: +44 (0)1534 448897 E-mail: info@jersey.com All information correct at time of print – January 2010

For further information visit

Places to stay Shop Eat & drink

gourmet. which forms a natural harbour. Gorey is a haven for holiday makers and gourmets. 3 Did you know? Gorey comes from the Norse Gorroic. between 1858 and 1883. By the end of the century. 2 . vorr meaning landing place and vic meaning a creek. from the south east coast of England. cafes and restaurants ensures that no one will go hungry. and before long the Gorey oyster beds became over-fished. Gorey has something for everyone. and the number of good pubs. the tall granite mound on which the castle is built and the hook in the coastline. Hundreds of oyster fishermen. The safe sandy beach offers recreation for all the family. The natural features found here. The most prolific boat builder was John Picot. But the industry was not destined to last forever. picturesque. By 1864 the fleet had dwindled to just over 20 boats. and Jersey boatyards went into decline.500 people were employed in the industry. Today. During the second half of the century.Sunrise Sunset What do you like about Gorey? “It’s tranquil. In the early 12th century it was the centre of a district called Gorroic. and rows of fishermen’s cottages sprang up to house the newcomers.000 oysters on every trip. Whole families moved over. history buff or sun seeker. Around 2. But it was at the turn of the 19th century that the area really began to grow. Each of the 250 Gorey boats was bringing back around 12. the principle livelihood of Gorey inhabitants was boat building. moved to Jersey following the over-fishing of the Whitstable oyster beds. steel had superseded wood. For four hundred years. either fishing or cleaning and packing the catch. and fringed by the soft sand of the Royal Bay of Grouville. and the population of the village doubled in size in a short space of time. This made the area important. who built 44 boats. are the foundation of the Gorey that we see today. and by the 17th century a small village had sprung up in the shadow of the castle. the castle was the seat of island government while the port was the closest link with the neighbouring coast of France. and on a summers evening it could be the Mediterranean” Renzo Martin —The Moorings Hotel Guarded to the north by the majestic castle of Mont Orgueil.

In 1461. The castle had been a defensive position from the Iron Age right up to World War II. Duke of Clarence. meant that it was a sitting target for any artillery arrayed there. the brother of Henry V. Jersey had just become an outpost of King John’s territory.Mont Orgueil The castle was built in the early part of the 13th century on the site of an earlier Iron Age fort. it became somewhat obsolete. The Harliston Tower from the reign of Edward IV and the tops of the three narrow towers went up during the German occupation. In letters to Queen Elizabeth he said that it was ‘a fort of great capacity’ and that ‘it is a pity to cast it down’. but the castle’s very position on the hill opposite Mont St. by Thomas. it was betrayed into Lancastrian hands during the War of the Roses. Did you know? The castle was named Mont Orgueil. It’s true that huge modifications were made to accommodate cannons. During its long history the castle has only fallen into enemy hands twice. Mount Pride. and when gunpowder was introduced in the 16th century. We have to thank Sir Walter Raleigh for the castle’s preservation. which was being built at the time. due to the recent loss of his lands across the water in France. Nicholas. If Sir Walter hadn’t made this plea. it’s likely that much of Mont Orgueil would have been recycled at Elizabeth Castle. and during World War II when the island was occupied by German forces. 4 5 . The keep dates from the time of King John. Mont Orgueil is essentially a ‘bow and arrow’ castle. At that time.

This station serviced the rifle range and the race course that were situated on the common. won £20 in a competition that Harry considered turning professional. In June 1929. It was Major Spofforth who encouraged Vardon. As a child he had little interest in golf. three of the six Vardon boys went on to become professional golfers. in the 1920s. got the job and began his professional career. They purchased two electric railcars. on 27th August. in fact. A line ran from Carteret onto Paris and this was supported by a steamer that ran between Gorey and Carteret.Helier to Paris. and it remained as such until March 1964. It was ten years before the line was extended to the pier. He was the fourth of eight children born to Philip Vardon and his wife. the latter no less than six times! The Railway The Jersey Eastern Railway Company opened for business in August 1873. opposite the road that leads to the Golf Club. a new town terminus was opened at Snow Hill. The company acquired a bus fleet in an effort to compete. The station at Snow Hill became a bus terminus in 1935. the Jersey Eastern Railway Company stopped both its bus and train services. the German Open and the British Open. He only played golf occasionally with other boys in the village. He applied. Because the area between the station and the pier was a sandy beach. but the introduction of buses to the island. who was the captain of the Royal Jersey Golf Club at the time. The extension of the line to Gorey Village was opened a few weeks later. During his life. a new railway line had opened on the Normandy peninsula. two distinguished golfers. father of Aubrey and Percy Boomer. made train travel less attractive. a sea wall had to be built and the area behind it filled in. It was when Harry’s brother. When Harry was seventeen he became a gardener for Major Spofforth.Harry Vardon Vardon was born in Grouville. flanked by cliffs. So it comes as no surprise that several village boys were encouraged in the sport. drying out for use as fertiliser. Elizabeth Bouchard. but this was unsuccessful. Tom had told Harry that a green-keeper was required at a new links being created on Lord Ripon’s estate near Harrogate. using home-made clubs and marbles. The line ran profitably for a number of years. Tom. Vardon had an unparalleled number of golfing victories. It was now possible to buy a through ticket from St. In those days. but unfortunately the seed was sown. By 1881. on 9th May 1870. The train track ran between the seawall and a new road which went to the pier. He won the American Open. the village school teacher was George Boomer. In September that year. In May 1874. At that time trains ran from Green Street in St. 6 . as these were cheaper to run.Helier and Grouville. though one had to transfer from Gorey Station to the pier by horse and cart. he gave him a couple of old clubs and some clothing. a one day fete was held at Gorey and over 2.Helier to Grouville Station. and went into liquidation. and they often played together. Around twelve trains a day ran between St. 7 Did you know? When golfers first started playing on the common. which still stands today. the hazards included grazing sheep and piles of seaweed.000 people used the railway to get there.

8 9 . now a private residence. stationed here. at the bottom of Daisy Hill. a search light platform was built into the tower walls. and a personnel shelter and ammunition magazine were constructed at its base. Did you know? The bunker attached to the old Salem Chapel. In addition to these there was Fort Henry. The concrete bunkers and the seawall are relics of the German Occupation. there were six Jersey Round Towers here. twenty French were killed and fourteen captured. there were five companies of the 83rd Regiment of Foot. In 1781. ‘the Royal Glasgow Volunteers‘.Coastal Defences The flat sandy beach along the coast was as inviting to invaders centuries ago as it is now to visitors and at one time this part of the coast was littered with sea defences. when the French invaded. In Napoleonic times. It was a company of grenadiers from Fort Henry who attacked the French rearguard at La Rocque. which means that both the roof and sides of the bunker are made of two metre thick reinforced concrete. At the other end of the golf course is Fort William. The two coastal casements housed 105mm guns. The Germans also modified Fort Henry. and are of ‘fortress strength’. In the engagement. During the Occupation they were painted to resemble beachside cottages. The seven grenadiers that were killed are buried in the graveyard at Grouville Church. just to our left. they stretched from near Gorey Village to the far corner of the bay at La Rocque. was built during the German Occupation to protect the East Telephone Exchange that was housed in the old chapel. now used by the golf club.

Garden Centre WC Anne Port Le Saut Geoffroi Faldouet Dolmen viour's pital YHA 1 NT 1 3 Map Key Restaurants 1 The Castle Green Gastro Pub The Village Bistro Jersey Pottery: The Garden Restaurant Jersey Pottery: Spinnakers Bar & Grill Café Poste Suma’s Restaurant The Dolphin Hotel Restaurant Seascale Hotel Restaurant Feast WC 4 7 8 1 Café’s 12 Café Louise 13 Café de Gouray Pottery 3 16 Gorey Jersey Village 4 2 1 5 1 8 11 2 6 1 10 9 Mont Orgueil Castle 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Hotels 7 8 The Dolphin Hotel Seascale Hotel K WC Gorey WC Gorey Harbour 10 The Moorings Hotel 15 The Old Bank House Hotel 16 The Maison Gorey Hotel 17 Beausite Hotel 18 The Old Court House Hotel K Fort William 10 The Moorings Hotel 14 Ingalills Swedish Kitchen Self Catering 17 Beausite Hotel Ville ès Renauds 5 Pubs 7 1 The Dolphin Hotel The Castle Green Gastro Pub Gorey Walking Route Main Road ‘B’ Road Minor Road Green Lane 17 Royal Jersey Golf Club Fort Henry 11 The Bass and Lobster Foodhouse ROYAL BAY OF GROUVILLE 10 11 .

This was the area that ran from St. went low water fishing behind the castle. a rise and fall of over 12 metres. This. means that the site has a diverse range of habitats and species within a small area. Jersey became a member in 1976. combined with the warmth of local waters.Helier Harbour in the south. a single shelled gastropod that feeds on algae. to Gorey Harbour on the east coast. Here in Jersey they are prized as a local delicacy. The waters along this coast are often home to one of the largest breeding groups of bottle-nosed dolphins in British waters. 12 13 . because of the Gulf Stream.“I just love the area. Among the creatures found here is the Green Ormer. Iran. for me Gorey is an integral part of my life” Robert Jones —Jersey Pottery The Ramsar Site In 1971. whereby a number of countries agreed to conserve and protect their wetlands. These are more usually found between the Mediterranean and the Atlantic coast of France. This 3200 hectare site has one of the largest ranges of tide in the world. The first local site was designated in 2000. an inter-governmental treaty was signed in Ramsar. I grew up at Faldouet.

At the road bear left and cross over into Haute de la Garenne. using care. turn left to follow the sign: ’Public footpath and steps to Gorey’. turn right and walk on. After the hill bends. is a protected conservation area. that will introduce you to this delightful corner of Jersey. down towards the village. take a moment to study the dry stone wall on the right. At the top. At the top.(Please see map centre pages) Step back in time The best way to see Gorey is to take a stroll around the area. As we climb. the landscape that we can see from Gorey to La Rocque. The first class return fare was one shilling and three pence. The view from the top of the hill is inspiring. The church opposite. The steep fields on the left. called ’cotils’ produce some of the earliest new potatoes grown in the island. Gouray Church. take the foot path on the left. cross over and continue on the left hand side of the road. at the far corner of the bay. At the end of the pavement. is an Anglican church built in 1834. Did you know? In 1891 the train took 24 minutes to reach Gorey Pier from Snow Hill in St. Cross over towards the shops. About six pence in today’s money. turn left and then sharp right to climb the short path towards the castle. to service the needs of the recently arrived English oystermen and their families. 14 15 . At that time. we’ll be rewarded with the antics of the wall lizards that live there. When the steps emerge onto the hill. one a shortened version. The starting point is the bus shelter at the start of Gorey Pier.Helier. Here are two walks. turn left along the gravel track. if it’s warm and sunny. local churches conducted their services in French which the newcomers couldn’t understand. It’s thought that these harmless little creatures are descendants of lizards kept by French prisoners of war in Napoleonic times.

Since we left the church on the hill we have passed what was Salem Chapel. passing shops. In a few yards. If you prefer the shorter route. When the path forks. only the crosses on the gates give its origins away. as we entered the village.Thomasse. Take this short path. was once a dairy. On the way through look out for Les Houmets Residential Home. now a private house. the local dustman. notice the old petrol pump standing in the garden on the right. This house belonged to Mr. Continue on. This lane. At the beginning of New Road. sometimes known as Dairy Road. and cross the road ahead. here we turn right to follow the gravel path alongside the road. turn right and descend into the village. cross over to the pavement on the far side. hotels and private houses until we reach a short road on the left. is lined with fishermen’s cottages. and was apparently called New Road because it was surfaced before Old Road was! Follow New Road as it curves to the right and becomes Old Road. this was the holiday home of the celebrated author George Eliot and her married lover George Henry Lewes. In 1857. Wisteria Cottage. Pass the filling station and at the corner. because the curious building on the far corner. bear right. and we have just passed a Catholic Church at the end of Old Road. walk on through the village. Follow the pavement as it approaches the war memorial in the distance. This path finally arrives beside the main road. For the longer route. This is Union Road. we shall pass the original Catholic church. and the petrol pump was used to fill up the dustcart. built in 1908. In the past the village was certainly not short of places to worship. enter the gravel car park on the left. “The village has a great atmosphere. turn left and walk up Union Road to the main road. The restaurant on the corner was once Grouville Post Office.When the path ends. from the working man to the millionaire everyone gets along well” Sean Copp —The Village Bistro 16 17 . and make for the standing stone on the high ground on the right. to follow the path that runs through the common. like Old Road. Cross carefully and once on the other side. When the buildings peter out. At the end of the lane. Today it is the Village Bistro. Pass the Old Bank House Hotel and take the first left into New Road. it eventually became too small for the congregation. Turn left and carry on through the village. the brick building on the left was the Salvation Army Citadel until 1966. we reach a narrow tarmac path on the right. with a German bunker attached. a small cottage called ’Villa Rosa’ stood here.

Once past the war memorial. previously The Welcome Inn. and then right to continue along the pavement. turn left and continue on beside the sea wall back towards the castle. take the first left. Within a few yards we shall leave Grouville and be in the parish of St. while the building alongside was Gorey Station itself. Exercise some caution here. The building on the corner was originally the water tower for the railway that ran to Gorey. turn left towards the road. Look out for a modern parish boundary stone set into the wall on the right. and head towards a gravel track at the far end of the car park. Each of the island’s parishes has a similar stone. to head towards the sea. Those who chose the shorter route will rejoin us here. Ruellan’s Village Inn. At the end of the car park. to celebrate the Millennium. built by George Asplet in 1861 18 19 . After passing Fort William at the end of the golf course. as we are passing through the links of the Royal Jersey Golf Club. which numbered among its pupils the golfer Harry Vardon. follow the sandy path as it dips and rises towards the standing stone ahead. the ‘Montrose’. The standing stone was erected in 2000. Did you know? The largest ship built at Gorey was the 365 ton barque. immediately before the Harry Vardon statue. Pass the clubhouse on the right.Martin. this being the Grouville Millennium Stone. At the slipway bear right and walk along the promenade back to the start. is the former site of the National School. When we reach the sea wall.

co.com The Moorings Hotel Grade H H H Tel: 853633 Fax: 857618 Email: reservations@themooringshotel.co.uk The Maison Gorey Hotel Tel: 857775 Fax: 857779 Email: maisongorey@jerseymail.seascalehotel.co.maisongorey.uk Web: www.co.co.ochhoteljersey.uk Web: www.com The Old Bank House Hotel Grade H H Tel: 854285 Fax: 854725 Email: oldbankhousehotel@jerseymail.co.Accommodation Hotels The Dolphin Hotel Tel: 853370 Fax: 855343 Grade H H Email: dolphinhotel@jerseymail.dolphinhoteljersey.com Seascale Hotel Tel: 854395 Fax: 856795 Email: reservations@seascalehotel.com Other Shops Lloyd’s Pharmacy Tel: 854340 Smile Laundry & Dry Cleaning Tel: 840797 Queree Optometrists Limited Tel: 840400 Village Kitchen Studio Tel: 840011 Checkers Xpress and Filling station Tel: 858204 The Hut Kiosk Tel: 857024 Peter Le Lievre Commission Agent Tel: 851101 Gorey Harbour Office Tel: 853616 Les Houmets Residential Home Tel: 855656 Gorey Watersports Tel: 07797816528 Clothing Neptune Tel: 851243 Old Sail Loft Tel: 855492 Hair & Beauty Wellbeing Tel: 857775 Hair FX Ladies & Gents hair salon Tel: 857711 20 21 .southernhotels.uk Web:www.com Places to Shop Guest Accommodation The Lavender Villa Hotel Grade H H H H Tel: 854937 Fax: 856147 Email:lavendervilla@jerseymail.uk Web: www.com Web: www.themooringshotel.southernhotels.net Web: www.com Beausite Hotel Grade H H H Tel: 857577 Fax: 857277 Email: beausite@jerseymail.com The Old Court House Hotel Grade H H H Tel: 854444 Fax: 853587 Email: ochhotel@itl.com Web: www.uk Gifts Jewellery Warehouse Tel: 483390 Jersey Pearl Tel: 855197 Pound World Tel: 857819 Gorey Gallery Tel: 856839 Eclat Gifts Tel: 840511 Fountain Court Tel: 858120 Jersey Pottery Tel: 850850 De La Mare Florist & Carnation Nurseries Tel: 851538 Food & Drink Gourmet Delights Limited Tel: 856383 Gorey Fruit Shop Tel: 851241 The Village Butcher Tel: 855744 Rosedale Stores Tel: 854602 R Store & Post Office Tel: 851026 Self Catering Beausite Hotel Grade H H H Tel: 857577 Fax: 857277 Email:beausite@jerseymail.

The hotel has a high reputation for its cuisine. Roger White is well known throughout the Island for championing fresh local produce. and accompanied by a superb wine list. Jersey Pottery: Spinnakers Bar & Grill Tel: 850850 With a packed play area and popular plasma screen showing movies throughout the day. which has a continental style. together with the speciality of cooking on hot rocks. Payment is by paycard or parking disc. We are renowned for specialising in seafood and fresh fish. The Village Bistro Tel: 853429 A popular and friendly restaurant in the heart of Gorey village renowned for its seafood and locally caught fish. Seascale Hotel Restaurant Tel: 854395 The Seascale restaurant is highly esteemed. The Moorings Hotel Tel: 853633 This award-winning restaurant is open for lunch and dinner daily. Suma’s Restaurant attracts a strong and loyal following amongst locals and visitors alike. Route 1a To Gorey Pier via St. Island Explorer . Whether you want a quick lunch or a leisurely dinner.Clement’s Inner road. The traditional style of cuisine has a modern influence with a continental flavour. Closed Sunday evenings and all day Monday. you are assured of excellent service in a comfortable and stylish environment. and is recognised by leading food guides and critics. a log burning stove and a big bookcase make this everyone’s favourite Sunday breakfast haunt. with an emphasis on local produce and seafood. Parking Takeaways Café du Port Tel: 840262 Entwhistle’s Fish & Chips Tel: 854603 The Oriental Dragon Takeaway Tel: 858811 Rhonas at the Beach Pubs The Dolphin Hotel Tel: 853370 The Castle Green Gastro Pub Tel: 840218 Buses Route 1 To Gorey Pier via the East Coast Road. Dining is available in the courtyard garden during the warm summer months. Adjoining the restaurant is a comfortable. giving Mum and Dad a break knowing their offspring are enjoying themselves in the safe play area. (Summer Service) Route 1b To Gorey Pier via Longueville Manor. Café Poste Tel: 859696 Polished wood floors. the casual atmosphere of the Castle Green is perfect for any occasion. friendly bar in which you may wish to enjoy an aperitif whilst choosing from the extensive a la carte and table d’hôte menus. Ingalill’s Swedish Kitchen Tel: 840678 Ingalill’s Swedish Kitchen uses seasonal produce to create traditional Swedish cooking.Green Route To Gorey Pier. Spinnakers is perfect for families. if you wished. Roger’s uncomplicated style of food means you can enjoy food at its finest. The Dolphin Hotel Restaurant Tel: 853370 The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner every day. (Summer Service) 22 23 . Suma’s Restaurant Tel: 853291 The menus offer excellent value.Getting there There are a number of car parks at Gorey. The Bass and Lobster Foodhouse Tel: 859590 The restaurant opened in march 2009 and provides excellent high quality fresh food in comfortable surroundings. you could eat all your meals here including afternoon tea and dinner. combining English Cuisine with a dash of Mediterranean flair. The whole style of this restaurant is flexibility. Gravel car park near the Old Court House 1 hour limit Disc/Scratch card Tarmac car park in the village 1 hour limit Disc/Scratch card Gorey Pier 3 hour limit Disc/Scratch card Tarmac car park near the promenade 3 hour limit Disc/Scratch card Tarmac car park near Fort William 3 hour limit Disc/Scratch card Foot of Mont de Gouray 12 hour limit Disc/Scratch card Gravel car park opposite Gorey village 12 hour limit Disc/Scratch card Gravel car park near Café Poste 12 hour limit Disc/Scratch card Food and Drink Cafes Café Louise Tel: 854130 Café de Gouray Tel: 853334 Food and Drink Restaurants The Castle Green Gastro Pub Tel: 840218 Using the best local produce. carefully selected meats and a range of vegetarian options.

Sign up to vote on this title
UsefulNot useful