This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
November 6, 2011
By ESPN staff Micah Richards has vowed to fight for his place in Fabio Capello's England squad, after his exclusion from the latest squad prompted a response from former team-mate Joey Barton.
GettyImagesMicah Richards has played just once under Fabio Capello • Capello calls on Sturridge and Rodwell Capello included Glen Johnson, Phil Jones and Kyle Walker as his right-back options for friendlies against Spain and Sweden, which take place on November 12 and 15 respectively. Chris Smalling, currently injured, was unavailable for selection. The England coach's squad announcement was met with dismay from QPR midfielder Barton, who has links to both Manchester City and Newcastle. Reacting on Twitter, Barton questioned how some of his former colleagues could possibly be overlooked. "Don't understand Eng Squad," tweeted Barton. "No Newcastle players?? No Micah Richards?? Surely he has to be. Man City 5 pts clear, MoM (man of the match) at Old T (Old Trafford) and skipper??" Richards has only featured once for Capello during the Italian's England reign, but he is arguably performing better now than at any other moment during that period. The 23-year-old confessed his initial disappointment with the exclusion on Sunday, but now he is vowing to force his way into the international setup. "I must be doing something right," Richards said. "In seasons gone by I have not been playing my best. Now I've started off well and we are top of the league.
"We have got a fantastic manager (Roberto Mancini) who has helped me so much. twice. "Jones and Smalling have been doing well for Manchester United. it's up to Capello. If he wants to give me a shout I am always there. If the manager wants to give them a chance it is up to him.and that's what I'll do. there is no point in me moaning about it. I know my form has to be right for City before he can pick me. so I've not been able to show what I can do. I have improved. I know what I've got to do . Even by giving me the captain's armband. it boosts my confidence. enjoy it and express myself.keep working hard . He just tells me to go out." . "I've still not been given a start under this England manager. three times since the first time I played for England. but if he gives me my chance I am sure I can take it with both hands. just like I did before."As I've said before.
"I am ashamed of my smile during the minute's silence. "It's a gesture that I don't remember but it's inexplicable and absolutely out of place.'' . 2011 Email Print Fiorentina midfielder Riccardo Montolivo has apologised for laughing during a minute's silence that was held in memory of the victims of the flash floods in Liguria. "I didn't realise the minute's silence had already started and the tension ahead of the game can sometimes make you do things that you would not do otherwise. A minute's silence was observed in every Serie A game on Sunday and television images showed Italy international Montolivo smiling and laughing during that time.Montolivo apologises for conduct November 7.'' Montolivo told Gazzetta dello Sport. I apologise to all the people that felt offended by it and I send my condolences to the families of the victims of the flash floods. GettyImagesRiccardo Montolivo joined Fiorentina from Atalanta in 2005 Six people died at the weekend due to adverse weather conditions in Genoa and its surrounding area. "However. there are no excuses for that and hence.
If the player admits the charge he may accept an automatic three-match suspension. 2011 Email Print By ESPNsoccernet staff The Football Association has confirmed Wigan Athletic defender Antolin Alcaraz has been charged for spitting at an opponent. but I don't think it's right for me to talk about it at the moment. GettyImagesWigan's Antolin Alcaraz is facing a three-match ban • Alcaraz accused of spitting Television replays caught Alcaraz spitting at Wolverhampton Wanderers' Richard Stearman during Wigan's 3-1 Premier League loss at Molineux on Sunday. I'll give you that. to respond to the charge. but admitted: ''It wasn't Berra. Stearman was reluctant to comment. which was not seen by the match officials but caught on video. "The player has until 6pm November 8.Alcaraz charged by FA for spitting November 7." It was initially thought Alcaraz had spat at Wolves centre-back Christophe Berra but Stearman confirmed he was the player targeted by the Paraguay defender. relates to his side's game against Wolverhampton Wanderers on Sunday [6 November 2011]. Referee Lee Probert did not see the incident but the FA has retrospectively acted after reviewing TV footage. with Alcaraz now facing a three-match ban. A statement from the FA read: "Wigan Athletic's Antolin Alcaraz has today [Monday] been charged by The FA for spitting at an opponent.'' . 2011. "The incident.
I won't push for anything.'' Wigan boss Roberto Martinez added: ''I haven't seen it yet (the replays). I only had it happen to me once and the player didn't come too close to me for a long time after that. If that is the case. he replied: ''Yes.'' Wolves boss Mick McCarthy was furious about the incident. I'll let other people talk about it and let other people deal with it.'' . ''Spitting is taboo if that's what happened. he shouldn't be doing it. If that has happened.but it's not nice. it's one of those things .'' he said. I'll look into it and I'll find out.When he was asked if he was spat upon. ''If it has been shown. I can confirm it happened and that it was me rather than Berra. but I'm not going to speak about it. that is unacceptable behaviour and anyone here who was spat at would act accordingly.
"When you look at what has happened to Rio over the last few weeks. 2011 Email Print By ESPN staff Nemanja Vidic has offered his support to Manchester United team-mate Rio Ferdinand and insists the defender is still going strong. helped us win the Premier League title and reach the Champions League final.Vidic hits back at Ferdinand critics October 31. He showed he still has the quality and ability to play at the top level. people judge you on your age and they are waiting for one bad game to say: 'Oh. as well as his ability to help the players around him. He showed class." .' "But the way Rio played was the perfect way to show he is not finished. but Vidic believes the former England captain showed his quality in United's 1-0 win over Sunderland. "I think this is wrong and Rio showed that [against Sunderland]. and yet after one game people are saying he is not good enough anymore. who turned 33 on Monday. we have to remember this is a player who played in most of the big games last season. He showed strength of character. he's finished. is facing a fight to re-establish his status as a first-choice player for both club and country. Sometimes when you have been at the top a long time like Rio has. GettyImagesManchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson recently suggested Rio Ferdinand is no longer a first-choice at Old Trafford • Fergie: Ferdinand no longer first-choice • Teenager Pereira to sign Ferdinand." Vidic said in the Guardian. he showed determination.
The Sunderland game."I think his experience is important. "Rio had a great game." . was the first time since the opening weekend of the season that Ferdinand and Vidic played together. I just hope Rio stays fit because he is a player who can help the young players. in which former United defender Wes Brown's opening goal gifted United all three points on the anniversary of Sir Alex Ferguson's arrival at Old Trafford. especially when you have young players in the team and the defence is changing all the time." Vidic added .
but made a promising start to life at City when he scored on his debut in September. But Platt has told the Manchester Evening News: "He has been training for the last week so he will carry on and use the international break to keep that going. Hargreaves has since failed to make a third appearance for the club due to a calf problem. GettyImagesOwen Hargreaves has endured numerous injury woes in recent years City completed a shock swoop for free agent Hargreaves in the summer. arrived at the Etihad Stadium with an infamous injury record. Hargreaves. after featuring as a substitute in October's 4-1 win over Aston Villa. having managed just 18 league starts for United in four years.Platt: Hargreaves progressing well November 6. after the England international's contract at rivals Manchester United expired at the end of last season. 30. However." . 2011 Email Print By ESPNsoccernet staff Manchester City coach David Platt has insisted midfielder Owen Hargreaves is edging towards a return to full fitness.
Iniesta was absent from the squad for last month's Euro 2012 qualifiers against the Czech Republic and Scotland because of a hamstring injury. Sevilla winger Jesus Navas has been recalled to the squad. is still unavailable for Del Bosque. Sevilla striker Alvaro Negredo. what better time than now to bring in Monreal? As for Jesus.'' . "In the search for wide players. GettyImagesAndres Iniesta was absent from the squad for last month's Euro 2012 qualifiers against the Czech Republic and Scotland because of a hamstring injury • Capello calls on Sturridge and Rodwell National coach Vicente Del Bosque has chosen not to draft anyone in for a first call-up.who scored the winner the last time the world and European champions played England on English soil back in 2007. and he was able to recall Barcelona star Andres Iniesta . with Malaga full-back Nacho Monreal included. while Barca forward Pedro is also injured. but is in a squad which also features Barca team-mate Cesc Fabregas. who was also forced to pull out of the squad for the October qualifiers with a hamstring problem. who suffered a hamstring tear during club training having initially been named in the party to face the Czechs and the Scots. Del Bosque said: "They (Navas and Monreal) have been included because they have been with us before and are also playing well. he has already been with us and he has always put in a good performance and we have seen fit to call him up.Spain name strong squad November 7. 2011 Email Print Spain have named an experienced squad for their friendly matches against England and Costa Rica this month. Quoted by Marca.
. Santi Cazorla (Malaga). and we will be playing in an extraordinary stadium Wembley. but we have to make the most of these matches. Gerard Pique (Barcelona). Juan Mata (Chelsea). Fernando Llorente (Athletic Bilbao). Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid). Jesus Navas (Sevilla). Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona)." Spain squad for the friendlies against England and Costa Rica on November 12 and November 15: Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid). David Silva (Manchester City). Jordi Alba (Valencia). England are a great team. Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid). Carles Puyol (Barcelona). Javi Martinez (Athletic Bilbao). Victor Valdes (Barcelona) Defenders: Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid). Fernando Torres (Chelsea). Raul Albiol (Real Madrid). Sergio Busquets (Barcelona).He added: "Before submitting the squad list for the Euros we have only three (more) games. Jose Reina (Liverpool). "We tailor these games to be the best they can be for the team and for the federation. so I don't think that has come as a shock to their clubs. Andres Iniesta (Barcelona) Strikers: David Villa (Barcelona). "There will be some games to come after the squad get together. Nacho Monreal (Malaga) Midfielders: Xavi (Barcelona). We have played five matches since the summer and no player has played 90 minutes in all of them.
'' . "We are the only ones who can make a difference. I won't say it is not possible. "It is far from good enough. "If we play like this. because it is.some more than others .'' he said. but it is up to the players.Agger: We were like 'headless chickens' November 7.'' Agger said in quotes reported by the Daily Express. Kenny Dalglish's men are just three points off the Champions League berths in sixth place . 2011 Email Print By ESPNsoccernet staff Liverpool defender Daniel Agger has warned his teammates they must raise their game if they are to avoid yet another season without Champions League football. meaning the club have now won just two of their six Premier League matches at Anfield this season. "Sometimes we looked like headless chickens running around after the ball. Everyone was angry and disappointed .'' Despite their indifferent form. we won't do it [qualify for the Champions League]. Agger admits now is the time to raise the standard. We definitely have to do a lot better. GettyImagesDaniel Agger has called on his Liverpool team-mates to up their game • Reds draw a blank Liverpool were held to a goalless draw in Saturday's home meeting with Swansea at the weekend.but that is the way it is. "We have got to move up a level or two.but with games against Chelsea and leaders Manchester City looming.
He has improved a lot.and Rio Ferdinand are left out. Capello. Richards said: "Well well well!!!! Disappointed is an understatement!!" . and Capello has been impressed by his development. as he had indicated on Saturday. has included John Terry despite the current allegations against him. Ashley Young is another absentee through injury while Joleon Lescott returns and Glen Johnson comes in at the expense of Micah Richards. while Wayne Rooney .facing a three-match ban at the finals ." Capello said. left wing and centre forward. PA PhotosDaniel Sturridge gets his first England call-up after impressing for Chelsea this season • Capello confirms Terry inclusion • Silva looking forward to England game Sturridge has enjoyed a successful 2011. "I saw him play right wing. Capello is keen to explore alternative options for the finals. Writing on his Twitter account. and Gabriel Agbonlahor and Bobby Zamora are among the other players looking to make an impression. 2011 Email Print By ESPNsoccernet staff Fabio Capello has handed Daniel Sturridge and Jack Rodwell their first England call-ups for the upcoming friendlies against Spain and Sweden.Capello calls on Sturridge and Rodwell November 6. spending time on loan at Bolton last season before forcing his way into the first-team reckoning at Chelsea." Having booked England's place at Euro 2012. "He's an interesting player and a player who scores goals.
England squad to face Spain and Sweden: Hart (Man City). Carson (Bursaspor). Jagielka (Everton). Both matches take place at Wembley. Lampard (Chelsea). . Agbonlahor (Aston Villa). Terry (Chelsea).England take on Spain on November 12 and Sweden on November 15. Parker (Tottenham). A Johnson (Man City). Jones (Man Utd). Cole (Chelsea). Lescott (Man City). Sturridge (Chelsea). Rodwell (Everton). Welbeck (Man Utd). Walcott (Arsenal). Cahill (Bolton). Milner (Man City). Baines (Everton). Zamora (Fulham). Barry (Man City). Downing (Liverpool). Walker (Tottenham). G Johnson (Liverpool). Bent (Aston Villa). Stockdale (Ipswich).
But with Jack missing he is a player who can keep the ball when it is needed.Wenger: Arteta is adapting November 6. 2011 Email Print By ESPNsoccernet staff Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has praised Mikel Arteta and believes the Spaniard is adapting to the Gunners' style of play." ." Wenger told the club's official website. It's about how many players you have in front of you . Arsenal are the team who play the least balls backwards. "He is an important player for our team. If you look at the stats in the Premier League. it's a question of opportunity. joined Arsenal on transfer deadline day from Everton for a fee in the region of £10 million and has impressed for the Gunners since the switch. "He is really a player between Song and Ramsey or Rosicky and that gives us continuity.Jack [Wilshere] can do that as well. 29. GettyImagesMikel Arteta joined Arsenal from Everton on transfer deadline day Arteta.if you have players behind you have to play it backwards. "When we need to keep the ball he can achieve that . "That means when you have the ball it is not only a question of decision-making. "He is adapting to our game. The Spanish midfielder netted his first goal at Emirates Stadium on Saturday to seal a 3-0 win over West Brom. and Wenger has hailed the quality of his summer signing.
"Both parties want to extend the deal so it looks good. is keen to build a new squad to tackle the World Cup in Brazil in two-and-a-half years' time and then the continental tournament in 2016 in France. . His representative Rob Jansen told De Telegraaf newspaper: "It is likely that we will soon come to an agreement. 2011 Email Print Bert van Marwijk is close to agreeing a new deal which will see him remain as Netherlands coach until the 2016 European Championship. succeeding Marco van Basten. Then follows the effects on paper. GettyImagesBert van Marwijk took over as Oranje coach after Euro 2008 Van Marwijk. Van Marwijk took over as Oranje coach after Euro 2008. Formally.Van Marwijk 'close to new Oranje deal' November 7. and led Netherlands to the World Cup final in South Africa in 2010 where they lost to Spain. whose current contract is due to expire after Euro 2012 in Poland and Ukraine next summer. according to his agent.'' The Dutch press speculate the new deal will not include a clause allowing the former Feyenoord and Borussia Dortmund boss to return to club management should a suitable offer come along. We are talking about a contact until 2016.
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue listening from where you left off, or restart the preview.