This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved
FADE IN: EXT. ESTABLISHING SHOT -- DAWN A LARGE, ANCIENT CHINESE SETTLEMENT LOCATED ALONGSIDE A WIDE RIVER SURROUNDED BY MISTY MOUNTAINS. NEW ANGLE Men farm fields and bake bricks in outdoor ovens. Women weave fine silk on primitive looms and spin pottery on potters wheels. Posted Archers stand guard at the outskirts. SUPER TITLE -- "Northern China--Five Thousand Years Ago" ANGLE ON XING FU (30's), a Chinese Man, stands on top of a steep cliff surveying the roads and valleys leading into the Settlement. A MASSIVE BLACK STALLION stands obediently by his side. He turns to mount his Horse and accidentally knocks a LEATHER POUCH to the ground. A SMALL SPHERE WITH A SMOOTH, UNDULATING SURFACE ROLLS OUT OF THE POUCH. He reaches for the Sphere and it flies up hard into his hand, causing him to grimace. He mounts his Horse and places the Sphere into a SMALL LEATHER BRIDLE worn around his neck. NEW ANGLE Xing Fu leads his horse through a downhill trail. He reaches a clearance and draws a LONG SPEAR into one hand, a BRONZE HAND AX into the other and charges wildly toward the Settlement. NEW ANGLE - SETTLEMENT While eating his lunch, an Archer spots Xing Fu charging the large community and laughs to himself. Several other Archers join him. They Kid each other as to whom will get the first shot. An Archer falls to his knee and takes a steady aim with his BOW.
2. NEW ANGLE Xing Fu charges the Settlement. his chest. P.O.V. ARCHER When he lowers his Bow on target he sees a 7000 MAN ARMY OF WARRIORS ON HORSEBACK WITH XING FU. NEW ANGLE The stunned Archer turns to his companions and sees them already running back to the Settlement! They frantically sound alarms to signal the inhabitants to take arms against the Invaders. NEW ANGLE 1000 MORE WARRIORS APPEAR, EACH RIDING A HORSE DRAWN CHARIOT. The entire population of the Settlement scurries around in a state of confusion. INT. TENT WU DENG (30's), a Silk Merchant, quickly gathers his Wife, LING (30's), and Son, YU (10), and runs outside. EXT. SETTLEMENT The Inhabitants stand poised ready to battle the Invaders. Xing Fu and his Warriors surround the Settlement. Xing Fu rides up to the Entrance of the Settlement and yells to its Inhabitants. IN MANDARIN WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLE. XING FU I am your king, Xing Fu, and this is my kingdom. Surrender your will to me now, or perish! ARCHERS A nervous Archer shoots an Arrow into the air at the Warriors. The Sphere bounces against
3. NEW ANGLE The Arrow splinters when it hits a stone Warrior between the eyes. The Warrior remains still. NEW ANGLE LARGE SAILING VESSELS APPEAR IN THE RIVER BORDERING THE SETTLEMENT WITH FIRE-BALL LAUNCHERS POINTED IN THEIR DIRECTION. NEW ANGLE - SETTLEMENT Ling's clothing catches fire from an OPEN FIRE PIT when they run for cover. Wu Deng hands Yu to a BYPASSER and tries to extinguish his wife's clothing, when his clothing ignites. YU DENG Cries watching his parents succumb to the flames. NEW ANGLE The Inhabitants throw down their arms and bow to Xing Fu. Xing Fu dismounts and stands proudly before his new Kingdom. EXT. FU KINGDOM - YEARS LATER A MAGNIFICENT PALACE IN THE MOUNTAINS SURROUNDED BY RARE BIRDS, ANIMALS, EXOTIC FLOWERS AND PLANTS. INT. PALACE Xing Fu wakes and prepares for the day. The Sphere hovers near him and follows him wherever he goes. A FLUTTERING BIRD assists Xing Fu dressing, then carefully returns his GROOMING ARTICLES back into place. EXT. PALACE -- LATER KING FU SITS IN HIS GOLDEN THRONE AT THE ENTRANCE OF HIS PALACE WITH HIS CONSORTS, COUNSELORS, PETS AND SPHERE NEARBY. A SEVEN-THOUSAND MAN ARMY STANDS AT ATTENTION IN THE DISTANCE. CITIZENS line up to be seen by King Fu with their requests. 15-Year-Old Yu Deng stands quietly in the shadows watching King Fu administer his law.
4. EXT. FU KINGDOM -- DAY King Fu demonstrates to a GROUP OF SOLDIERS how a METAL MECHANISM MOUNTED ON A CHARIOT ALWAYS POINTS SOUTH regardless of which way the Chariot turns. EXT. ESTABLISHING SHOT - DUSK AN ENORMOUS COMMUNITY OF LARGE MUD HUTS WITH SMOKING CHIMNEYS SURROUNDED BY BARREN FLATLAND AND AN EERIE RED SKY. NEW ANGLE YAN LIU (30's), a CHINESE TRIBAL LEADER, directs the casting of BRONZE AX AND SPEAR HEADS near an OPEN FURNACE. His EIGHTY BROTHERS, all of whom have HEADS OF BRONZE, A FOREHEAD OF IRON, THE FACE OF A HUMAN AND THE BODY OF A HORSE, assist him. INT. PALACE -- DAY King Fu reclining with SEVERAL GIGGLING SCANTILY CLAD WOMEN. The Sphere hovers nearby. A SOLDIER rushes in and bows. SUBTITLES. IN MANDARIN WITH ENGLISH
SOLDIER My Lord. Yan Liu and his brothers have been seen approaching the barrier! KING FU Consolidate the guard, then bring my chariot. The Soldier bows and exits. EXT. WAR ZONE -- LATER Yan Liu, his Brothers, and TEN THOUSAND WARRIORS await King Fu in a GIANT CRAGGY CANYON littered with the SKELETONS OF DEAD ANIMALS. The edge of a formidable CLIFF looms nearby. King Fu and his Seven Thousand Warriors approach the War zone and stop a mile away from Yan Liu. Can Lin (40s), King Fu's General, apprehensively surveys the War Zone. IN MANDARIN WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES.
5. KING FU Be confident my friend. A Fierce tiger is inferior to the local worm. CAN LIN An even number would give me greater confidence, my lord. Yan Liu's brother, Chi Liu (20's), gallops across the War Zone to King Fu. The sight and smell of Chi Liu repulses the King and his Warriors. CHI LIU King Fu! My brother demands the immediate surrender of your forces and hereby takes possession of the territory and inhabitants you proclaim as your kingdom. Any other action will result in a long and agonizing death for all! KING FU Twice before your brother has challenged my sovereignty and twice before he suffered profound humiliation. You may tell your brother we anxiously await his--creative intimidation, with what in turn will surely be his final crusade. Chi Liu screams a shrill that turns into a ghastly laugh, then gallops back across the War Zone. NEW ANGLE Chi Liu reports King Fu's response to his brother. Burning with rage Yan Liu summons the GODS OF WIND AND RAIN. The sky quickly darkens from BLACK CLOUDS. VIOLENT THUNDER and LIGHTENING strike nearby. HURRICANE WINDS toss King Fu's Warriors around the War Zone. KING FU (CONT'D) (to Can Lin) Summon my daughter, Nu Fu! EIGHT WARRIORS hand carry a GOLDEN COACH to King Fu and place it onto the ground. Nu Fu (teens), a Beautiful Young Woman dressed in Golden Silk, steps out of the Coach and faces him.
6. King Fu points to a clearing in the War Zone and Nu Fu walks there and stops. Her body GLOWS BRIGHTLY AND EMANATES ENORMOUS HEAT thereby neutralizing the Storm. NEW ANGLE Yan Liu calls upon LARGE FLOATING SPIRITS frightening King Fu's Warriors. KING FU (CONT'D) They fear the sound of dragons! Make bugles from the horns of the dead! The Warriors break off the HORNS FROM THE SKULLS OF THE DEAD ANIMALS and carve Bugles from them. They blow into the Bugles and PARALYZE THE SPIRITS IN FEAR. NEW ANGLE Yan Liu motions his Warriors into formation behind him and raises his arms. A DENSE FOG FORMS OVER THE ENTIRE WAR ZONE. King Fu looks in the direction of the Cliff, then at the Compass in his Chariot. Yan Liu silently commands his Brothers and Warriors to circle behind King Fu's forces. Yan Liu's Brothers SCREAM causing King Fu's Warriors to panic. CAN LIN (to King Fu) How do we find them?! KING FU Use your nostrils! King Fu checks the Compass on his Chariot. KING FU (CONT'D) Order the formation west! NEW ANGLE Yan Liu, his Brothers and Warriors grope through the Fog searching for King Fu. They come to the edge of the Cliff and peer down into the deep Canyon. An ARROW impacts hard into the hind quarters of ONE OF YAN LIU'S BROTHERS.
7. His Metallic Head rears back SCREAMING in agony before he loses his footing and falls over the Cliff. NEW ANGLE Yan Liu turns around to find King Fu and his Forces in ROW AFTER ROW OF MILITARY FORMATION, Weapons pointed at them. The BLOODY FIGHTING BEGINS. Yan Liu's Brothers and Warriors overpower King Fu's Forces. King Fu glances at the Sphere and for every Arrow an Archer fires ONE-HUNDRED ARROWS hit Yan Liu's Warriors. The barrage of Arrows decimate Yan Liu's Brothers and Warriors. Intoxicated with power, King Fu causes the arrows to burst into flames when they hit, incinerating his enemies. Can Lin places his hand on King Fu's shoulder. CAN LIN The enemy has been destroyed, my lord. King Fu breaks his trance and regains his composure. Yes. NEW ANGLE Yan Liu tries to escape under the cover of fog and confusion. The King's Warriors corner and capture him against the Cliff. NEW ANGLE - LATER The War Zone LITTERED WITH CHARRED BODIES and BLACK SMOKE. A Warrior delivers Yan Liu, hands bound, to King Fu. King Fu nods to the Warrior who shoves Yan Liu forward. A SWORDSMAN stands ready to behead Yan Liu, but Yan Liu refuses to subserviently lower his head. Can Lin slaps his face and tries to push his head down. Yan Liu remains stubborn. Can Lin and TWO OFFICERS quietly confer. King Fu watches. KING FU You are quite right, my friend.
8. Can Lin walks away. He returns carrying something behind his back. He walks to Yan Liu, looks him in the eyes and drops CHI LIU'S HEAD at his knees. Wide-eyed, Yan Liu looks down at his Brother's head, about the same time the Executioners's Blade severs his. His eyes and mouth continue to move. The King motions a Warrior to bury Yan Lin's body on the spot, then points toward a range of DISTANT MOUNTAINS. IN MANDARIN WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES. KING FU (CONT'D) (to another Warrior) Bury the head a thousand Li! The Warrior mounts a HORSE and quickly rides by, picking up Yan Liu's still-alive Head by his hair and gallops away. A weary King Fu surveys the War Zone. KING FU (CONT'D) (to Can Lin) Recover the metal. Then we may rest. EXT. MOUNTAIN RANGE - DUSK The Warrior digs a hole while Yan Liu's head, positioned on a nearby Rock, watches him. He grabs the Head by the hair and tosses it into the Hole. EXT. FU KINGDOM - DAY - YEARS LATER King Fu sits on his GOLDEN THRONE at the ENTRANCE of his Palace surrounded by Consorts, Counselors, Can Lin and the Sphere. A SEVEN-THOUSAND MAN ARMY stands at attention in the distance. BEAUTIFUL WOMEN, FACES PAINTED WHITE, their bodies sensually wrapped in BRIGHT MULTICOLORED SATINS, parade up the steps vying for the king's attention. A Counselor guides one of the most beautiful of them, Sing Lu (20's), up the steps to be presented to the King. IN MANDARIN WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES.
9. KING (to Can Lin) So beautiful and my general could of just a few of FU so plentiful. Surely accommodate the needs these wayward angels?
CAN LIN I thank my lord for his generosity but I'm afraid the one I have entirely occupies my time and easily tasks my remaining youth. KING FU I doubt a man of war can be so easily tasked. I admire your modesty, my friend and I respect your prudence. CAN LIN What troubles my lord? KING FU Yan Liu. CAN LIN Yan Liu perished long ago. KING FU The memory of my weakness during the battle has filled my thoughts. CAN LIN You were brilliant, my lord. KING FU I was seduced by the power to destroy. The orb's key to power is mankind himself. We must defend ourselves from our own deceit. This cannot be allowed to happen again. CAN LIN What may I do? KING FU I have many wives, sons and daughters. They are my most cherished treasure and this city a paradise. I have achieved a level of content few men will ever know. (MORE)
10. KING FU (MORE) The orb demands consummate dedication. A custodian exalted in both wisdom and discipline. Another must be named to assure our longevity in the event I am no longer able. You will be this custodian. CAN LIN This will be, my king. pledge my life. KING FU I know this, my friend. Sing Lu stumbles on the steps just before reaching the King. She does a DOUBLE SOMERSAULT into the air when the King and the Counselor instinctively reach out to help her. In mid-air she removes a LONG DAGGER from her Sash and drives it into King Fu's chest. Simultaneously, she flicks her other arm around and captures the hovering Sphere with an ANIMAL SKIN SACK. She lands perfectly on both feet behind the Throne. She removes her wig and its Yu Deng, avenging his parents death! Can Lin grabs the King and cries out. CAN LIN No! He gently places the King back on his Throne and kneels beside him. King Fu dies with the look of astonishment on his face. NEW ANGLE THE FU KINGDOM BEGINS TO DISSOLVE. THE PALACE AND ITS CONTENTS DISAPPEAR LEAVING BEWILDERED SERVANTS WANDERING IN CONFUSION. COUNSELORS, CONSORTS AND WARRIORS FLEE TO THE COUNTRYSIDE. NEW ANGLE THE SEVEN-THOUSAND MAN ARMY TRANSFORMS INTO TERRA COTTA. I willfully
11. NEW ANGLE Yu Deng walking confidently across the Kingdom, NOW A HOLLOW SETTLEMENT INHABITED BY WANDERING PEASANTS. NEW ANGLE Yu Deng walks past the Terra Cotta Guards and shoves one over causing a DOMINO EFFECT ON SEVERAL OTHERS. They fall to the ground and crack into pieces. EXT. MOUNTAIN RANGE - DUSK Sitting by his CAMP FIRE, Yu Deng opens the Animal Skin Sack and removes the Sphere. NEW ANGLE He gazes into its Undulating Surface and smiles. THE VALLEY BEFORE HIM CRACKS WIDE OPEN TO A THUNDEROUS BOOM REVEALING A VAST SHIMMERING KINGDOM. Yu Deng watches his Kingdom unfold in awe, then slowly slumps forward and dies. His momentary Kingdom DISSOLVES. NEW ANGLE Yu Deng slumped forward with a LARGE ARROW in his back. NEW ANGLE Can Lin walks out from behind a LARGE ROCK holding a BOW. He removes the Arrow from Yu Deng's back and places it into his QUILL. He pries the Sphere out of Yu Deng's hand and holds it out in front of him. IN MANDARIN WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLE. CAN LIN By the spirit of my lord, my life and the lives of those who follow me. We will not fail you. EXT. ESTABLISHING SHOT -- PRESENT DAY -- LATE AFTERNOON CHINATOWN, LOS ANGELES, at BROADWAY and COLLEGE STREET.
12. SUPER TITLE -- "Chinatown, Los Angeles" CHINESE MERCHANTS DECORATE THEIR STOREFRONTS IN PREPARATION FOR CHINESE NEW YEAR FESTIVITIES. A LIMOUSINE drives slowly through the CROWDED STREETS until it reaches a GUARD SHACK in front of a MULTISTORY OFFICE BUILDING. SEVERAL LARGE SATELLITE DISHES POPULATE THE ROOF. The CHAUFFEUR hands a BUSINESS CARD to a UNIFORMED CHINESE SECURITY GUARD and a CHAIN-LINKED GATE slides open. INT. GUARD SHACK The Guard dials the Phone. IN CANTONESE WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLE.
GUARD Mister Wong has arrived. EXT. BUILDING Out of the Guards view, PAO LIN (30S), AN ATHLETIC CHINESE MAN, AND TWO VERY LARGE CHINESE HENCHMEN, CHONG-HO AND CHIN FU, instantly roll out from under the moving Limousine and run toward a LOADING DOCK in back of the Building. The Limousine parks in front of the BUILDING ENTRANCE. SIGN above the Entrance reads, "Pacific Dyplex." A
DAVID LIU (30s), A WELL-DRESSED, CHINESE-AMERICAN MAN exits and escorts a SLIM AND ATHLETIC CHINESE WOMAN, ANNABEL LI (20's), to the Building Entrance. INT. CONFERENCE HALL FRANK YEE (50's), A PAUNCHY CHINESE BUSINESSMAN, stands before a PODIUM holding a BRASS PLAQUE. Behind him hangs a CITY OF LOS ANGELES CHAMBER OF COMMERCE SEAL, along with a SIGN designating him, "MAN OF THE YEAR." MISTER YEE ...and in appreciation for this prestigious award I'd like to reaffirm Pacific Dyplex's commitment to the support and sponsorship of the future business leaders and trend setters of industry--the youths of our inner city schools. I thank you very much. APPLAUSE
13. EXT. BUILDING LOADING DOCK PAO LIN removes a CLIPBOARD from inside his Jacket and slips on a SPORTS HAT. He presses a DOORBELL while standing in front of a WINDOWED DELIVERY SERVICE DOOR. INT. BUILDING FOUR CHINESE WORKERS sit at a MAKE SHIFT CARD TABLE PLAYING MAH JONG. TWO CHINESE WORKERS stand Cheering them on. A BUZZER SOUNDS (O.S.). The LAST TILE is placed and the game is over. THE BUZZER SOUNDS AGAIN (O.S.). A Worker looks at his WATCH then walks to the Service Door and sees Pao Lin. IN CANTONESE WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES. WORKER We are closed! Pao Lin looks blankly at the Worker. Closed! WORKER (CONT'D) Come back tomorrow!
Pao Lin holds up the Clipboard showing him a BILL OF LADEN WRITTEN IN CHINESE. The frustrated Lead Worker shakes his head. WORKER (CONT'D) Idiot! He unlocks the Service Door. WORKER (CONT'D) I said we are... Pao Lin knocks out the Worker. He fights the remaining Workers while Chong-Ho and Chin Fu climb a STAIRCASE leading to an UPSTAIRS LABORATORY. Having rendered them all unconscious, Pao Lin surveys the Building for any other movement then climbs the Staircase.
14. INT. OUTER OFFICE David and Annabel enter Mister Yee's OUTER OFFICE. Mister Yee's secretary, MEI YU (20's), rises and bows from behind her DESK. IN CANTONESE WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES. MEI YU Good afternoon. May I ask your name? David hands her a BUSINESS CARD. MEI YU (CONT'D) Thank you. Mister Yee will be here shortly. He asks that you make yourselves comfortable in his office. Mei Yu opens a DOOR MARKED "PRESIDENT" for them. INT. OFFICE ORIENTAL FURNISHINGS AND A CHINESE DEMON MASK DECORATE THE OFFICE. A TALL ANTIQUE SAFE RESIDES IN A CORNER. David sits in a LEATHER CHAIR near a LARGE WINDOW. Annabel, spooked by the Mask on the Wall, stands near the Door. INT. BUILDING Pao Lin reaches the top of the Stairway and cautiously looks around the corner. He sees TWO HALLWAYS THAT BORDER AN ENCLOSED ROOM WITH SMALL WINDOWS AND A SINGLE DOOR. Chong-Ho stands quietly at one end of a Hallway with a CHINESE GUARD LAYING FACE DOWN, UNCONSCIOUS, AT HIS FEET. A RIFLE lies next to the Guard. Chin Fu leans against a wall at the end of the other Hallway peering through a WINDOW. Pao Lin silently steps up to a Window. P.O.V. PAO LIN A LARGE METHAMPHETAMINE LABORATORY. FOUR TECHNICIANS work at different stages of production and packaging under the watchful eyes of TWO ARMED GUARDS.
15. INT. BUILDING Pao Lin, Chong-Ho and Chin Fu storm into the Laboratory and incapacitate the Guards and Technicians. They destroy the LABORATORY APPARATUS then gather BAGS of DOPE and throw it into a METAL DRUM. Pao Lin dumps a BOTTLE OF ACID into the Drum until a SIZZLING PLUME OF SMOKE erupts. INT. OUTER OFFICE Mister Yee enters carrying his MOTY Award and proudly shows it to Mei Yu. Mei Yu hands him the Business Card. MISTER YEE Good--Mister Wong. INT. OFFICE Mister Yee enters and places the MOTY Award on his Desk. Annabel pulls Mei Yu inside the Office and closes the door. MEI YU What are you doing? Mister Yee sees a man in the Chair facing the Window. MISTER YEE Mister Wong? David rises. DAVID A charming view of our great city. You have done very well. You! MISTER YEE Get out!
Mister Yee quickly presses a RED BUTTON on his TELEPHONE. David lights a SMALL CIGAR. MISTER YEE (CONT'D) I said, get out of here you cheap hood!! DAVID Patience and civility is often rewarded with opportunity and profit.
16. MISTER YEE Quaint philosophy from such a dishonorable man always goes unheard. My men will be here in seconds. Leave this place now! DAVID Then I will be brief. Mister Yee remains standing. DAVID (CONT'D) I represent a cartel of international investors and I must say we've had our eye on you for some time now. Mister Yee remains silent. DAVID (CONT'D) We've watched the evolution of your enterprise with great anticipation. MISTER YEE I'm not interested in you or your cartel. DAVID You should be. We are the world's information brokers. Wholesalers of knowledge in a market of great demand and it's an immensely profitable market at that. Sensitive data sells at quite a premium. MISTER YEE Why are you bothering me? David walks over to the Safe and looks along side of it. P.O.V. DAVID LABEL on side of Safe reads, "Chicago Safe Company, Model 49, S/N 002952, Pat. Pend. 1888." INT. OFFICE David removes a PDA from his coat, flips up it's SHORT ANTENNA and scribbles a message on it. Please sit down.
17. DAVID You and this communication complex will play host to a new revolutionary device that will vastly increase our knowledge base. It may, in fact, allow us to tap into any network located anywhere on the globe. MISTER YEE Why me?! The PDA BEEPS. DAVID Prima facie. The ideal cover. You've earned the respect of your trade and local commerce and your company is always ranked in the top one percent. You even sponsor local soccer and softball teams... David looks at the PDA then unlocks the Safe. He removes SEVERAL BAGS OF WHITE POWDER and throws them onto the Desk to Mister Yee's astonishment. DAVID (CONT'D) And you're greedy. Owning a very successful business isn't quite enough for you. David places the PDA back into his pocket. DAVID (CONT'D) The right information, Mister Yee, will open any door. MISTER YEE No one tells me how to run my business! I built this company... DAVID Selling dope to kids with dollars in their pockets. And what do these common street drugs earn you in a month? MISTER YEE More than you have dreamed. David laughs.
18. DAVID Charity, compared to what you will realize as a member of the cartel. MISTER YEE You must leave immediately. DAVID You have built an admirable reputation despite your activity in underground drug manufacturing. The cartel requires this organization for operation as a major hub for our Pacific network. MISTER YEE No! Two Office Doors open at the same time. Mister Yee smiles.
MISTER YEE (CONT'D) And now, Mister Wu, your presence here will be abruptly and permanently terminated. David glances over his shoulder. DAVID Ah--your men have arrived. Chong-Ho and Chin Fu enter the Office from each Door, both dragging an unconscious Guard on the floor by one arm. Pao Lin enters the Office after Chong-Ho, then through the Waiting Room Door closing it behind him. DAVID (CONT'D) These are my affiliates from Hong Kong, Chong-Ho, Chin Fu, the lovely Annabel and of course, Pao Lin, who is assuring our privacy from outside your office door. They were generously provided by the cartel to assist me in developing loyal and trustworthy business partnerships with establishments such as yours. MISTER YEE I am not alone in this enterprise! (MORE)
19. MISTER YEE (MORE) Do you think my overseas associates will stand by while your cartel attempts to... DAVID Your drug affiliations have been severed. As a business member of the cartel your enterprise will appear to operate as a legitimate corporation. You will no longer deal in drugs or any other venture which may give cause for scrutiny and for that you will be well rewarded. MISTER YEE Mister Wong will have comment about your proposition. Hong Kong deals ruthlessly with your brand of treachery. David looks at Annabel. She walks to the Desk and unsnaps her Evening Purse and removes a BLOODIED HANDKERCHIEF. She tosses the Handkerchief onto the Desk and TWO SEVERED HUMAN EYEBALLS roll out. Mei Yu SCREAMS. DAVID I don't believe Mister Wong will be commenting about anything at this time. Mister Yee nervously swallows. MISTER YEE I will not turn this business over to you or anyone else, and if any harm comes to my family I will see to it that... DAVID That had not entered into my mind. Trust is the first principle in any partnership. MISTER YEE My mind will not be changed. David becomes impatient. He snubs his Cigar out in the Ash Tray and glances at Annabel again.
20. DAVID I have learned be most persuasive, Mister Yee. Annabel silently walks up to Mister Yee and smiles. Yee looks her over. MISTER YEE And, I am not interested in your concubine! Annabel quickly flicks a DOUBLE-EDGED KNIFE out from her waistband. She holds it an inch from the end of the blade then sticks and holds it into Mister Yee's abdomen. Mei Yu SCREAMS again. DAVID That had not entered into my mind, either. Mister Yee falls back against the wall, gasping. Annabel slaps his hands away from the Knife with her free hand when he reaches for his stomach. Mei Yu grabs Annabel's arm. Ting dai! MEI YU Ting dai! Mister
Annabel backhands Mei Yu across the face sending her onto the floor. Chong-Ho and Chin Fu restrain her. DAVID She didn't insert the full length of the blade. She didn't even puncture a vital organ, but you must admit it is most uncomfortable. Mister Yee moans while sweat flows freely from his forehead. DAVID (CONT'D) I shall require an answer at this time, Mister Yee. Will you join us and become a trusted member of the organization? Mister Yee struggles to catch his breath.
21. DAVID (CONT'D) This will require your commitment and irrefutable faith in our venture. Mister Yee painfully nods. DAVID (CONT'D) Very well then. We knew we could count on your participation. (to Annabel) Ting dai. Annabel almost brings herself to a sexual climax from the sense of control she has over the transfixed Mister Yee. DAVID (CONT'D) Annabel! David places a hand on her shoulder. DAVID (CONT'D) Ting dai! Annabel, lost in blood lust, swings the Knife at David. David Karate blocks four swipes of the Blade with his arms before she regains her composure and stops. She flicks the Knife back into her waistband and stands by the Door. Mister Yee falls against his Desk while holding his bloody abdomen with his hand. He slumps into his Chair. David removes a FOLDED PAPER from his coat. DAVID (CONT'D) This last formality, Mister Yee, is for you to signify your pledge to the organization and to recognize the cartel as a legal business partner. David takes a FOUNTAIN PEN from the Desk and dips the point into a splotch of BLOOD then places it into his hand. Mister Yee barely manages to scratch his signature. DAVID (CONT'D) Now, your drug laboratory has been neutralized and we will utilize the funds gained from the sale of these (MORE)
22. DAVID (MORE) narcotics to help finance the installation of new equipment. You may retain what funds you now have. Welcome to the cartel Mister Yee. David throws the Dope into a BAG and hands it to Chong-Ho. Mister Yee grimaces in pain. David bows and exits. Chong-Ho, Chin Fu and Annabel follow.
Mei Yu runs to Mister Yee, sobbing. EXT. ESTABLISHING SHOT -- AFTERNOON A TALL, MODERN OFFICE BUILDING SURROUNDED BY A LUSH, GREEN LANDSCAPE. A SIGN ON THE BUILDING READS, "DEVICETEK, INC.". SUPER TITLE -- "Fremont, California" INT. MODERN OFFICE CLUTTERED CUBICLE surrounded by MODULAR PANELS. MICHAEL CHEN (25), Chinese-American electrical engineer, sits at his DESK typing on a PC. He peels off a SMALL PLASTIC CASE taped to the bottom of his Desk Drawer. He removes an INTEGRATED CIRCUIT from the Case and slips the Chip up his shirt sleeve. He adjusts his WRISTWATCH to the time displayed on the MONITOR. He presses the Enter Key, then shuts off the power to the Monitor. The Screen BLANKS. Michael's PHONE RINGS, causing him to flinch. MICHAEL This is Michael...oh, yeah...okay Scott, see 'ya on the way there--bye. He hangs up, then stares at the FAMILY PHOTOS on his Desk. INT. HALLWAY SCOTT BRENNER (20's), a nerdish, chubby man, runs up to Michael in the Hallway.
23. SCOTT (puffing) Hey, Michael, where 'ya been? Right here. MICHAEL What's up with you, Scott?
SCOTT T-G-I-P. Thank God it's payday. I'm just now recovering from the cost of Christmas, ho-ho. Hey, I hear you're heading south for the new year's festivities. Yep. MICHAEL Big deal in Chinatown you know.
SCOTT You gonna bring back some more of those bun things again? Michael looks at Scott's bulging waistline. Cha siu bao. of those. MICHAEL You don't need any more
Scott looks down at his waist. SCOTT Naw--plenty of room there. They approach an ENTRANCE TO A LABORATORY secured by a PAIR OF ARMED GUARDS. They show the Guards their BADGES and enter the Laboratory. INT. CHANGING ROOM Scott and Michael change into CLEAN ROOM PAPER GOWNS, BOOTS and HAIR NETS. SCOTT Thanks for requesting my assistance on this spook project, good buddy. I can use the overtime. MICHAEL You're not kidding about spooky. (MORE)
24. MICHAEL (MORE) There are more nervous engineers running around here than at a stock holders meeting at Apple. SCOTT How about letting me in on the happenings since I just got my clearance today? MICHAEL Do you have a need to know? SCOTT Damned-straight. MICHAEL Did they mention anything about Weasel when you were in Security? Scott shakes his head. MICHAEL (CONT'D) Feds need a way to secure secret data on their intranets. They've developed a prototype hybrid network chip like you've never seen. Works as a surrogate microprocessor. And it thinks. SCOTT Like A-I? MICHAEL Only smarter, much smarter. It knows how to investigate everything about a hacker trying to breach a site, even behavioral characteristics about the user just in case... SCOTT He or she is an inside spy. MICHAEL Right. It's backtracking capabilities are incredible. SCOTT So we got the honor of making the first chips because of the old man's process?
25. MICHAEL Yes, for the time being. They are suited up and head for the CLEAN ROOM. SCOTT How did pretest go? MICHAEL Scary. I didn't know software could fix itself. Michael walks through the Clean Room DOORS with Scott behind. SCOTT Bill Gates will shit. INT. HALLWAY -- LATER Michael leaving. INT. RECEPTION AREA The RECEPTIONIST spots Michael walking out of the Building. Michael! Michael freezes. ENVELOPE. RECEPTIONIST Michael! He turns and sees her holding up a RED
RECEPTIONIST (CONT'D) Michael--this is for you! He takes the Envelope from her and looks at it. MICHAEL What's this? RECEPTIONIST Not sure. All I know is that it came for you from upstairs. MICHAEL It's too red to be a pink slip. EXT. PARKING LOT Michael opens the Envelope. To his surprise he finds a CARD and a COMPANY CHECK made out to him. Thanks!
26. CLOSE-UP -- CARD A CHINESE NEW YEAR'S CARD that reads, "Happy Chinese New Year -Kung Hei Fat Choy," with CHINESE LETTERING saying the same. INT. EXECUTIVE OFFICE REFLECTION IN THE OFFICE WINDOW OF AN UNRECOGNIZABLE ELDERLY MAN DRESSED IN A DARK SUIT. He stands motionless, looking down onto the Company Parking Lot. DOOR OPENS AND CLOSES (O.S.). MAN'S VOICE (O.S.) Your flight leaves in an hour, sir. He pauses for a moment, then turns and disappears (O.S.). EXT. PARKING LOT Michael enters his HONDA ACCORD and tosses the Red Envelope onto the dashboard. There's a SUITCASE in the back seat. He removes the Plastic Case from his pocket and examines it. NEW ANGLE An ASIAN MAN sits in a BEAT-UP TOYOTA, watching Michael. He sees Michael holding the Case. He jumps out of his Car and runs toward him. INT. MICHAEL'S HONDA He tosses the Case onto the dashboard and drives off. EXT. PARKING LOT The Asian Man runs back to his Car and drives after Michael. EXT. FREEWAY The Asian Man follows Michael onto HIGHWAY 84 towards the DUMBARTON BRIDGE. He tries to catch up with Michael but gets wedged in the DENSE PRIME TIME TRAFFIC. EXT. BRIDGE Michael stops at the TOLLBOOTH. A CALIFORNIA HIGHWAY PATROL CAR sits along side of the road.
27. Michael hands CHANGE to the TOLL GUARD and drives away. NEW ANGLE Asian Man reaches the Toll Guard and has no change. He pulls out his WALLET and hands the Toll Guard a FIFTY-DOLLAR BILL. The Toll Guard looks at the Bill, laughs and hands it back. He is about to run the Tollbooth but changes his mind when he spots the California Highway Patrol Car. He watches Michael drive out of view. INT. MICHAEL'S HONDA He grabs the Case and stares at its contents. MICHAEL Brilliant move, Michael. ass. You dumb CARS HONK (O.S.).
He's about to chuck it out the window but stops himself. INT. YU-LIN'S BEDROOM -- NIGHT TAPESTRIES, CARVED IVORY AND SCULPTURED INCENSE BURNERS DECORATE THE BEDROOM. YU-LIN CHEN (70's), AN ELDERLY CHINESE MAN, kneels before a SMALL FAMILY SHRINE OF OLD PHOTOGRAPHS, MEMORABILIA AND BURNING CANDLES ON TOP OF A SMALL WALL SHELF. The Bedroom sits in back of a HERBALIST SHOP on Broadway Street in Chinatown, where the other family members reside. Yu-Lin raises his head and stands, facing the Shrine. bows then walks to an ANTIQUE HUTCH. He
He opens the Doors to the Hutch and removes a SHINY, BLACKLACQUERED BOX from a Nook and holds it out in front of him. He opens the Box revealing the Sphere nestled within the FITTED INTERIOR. The Sphere rises out of the Box and hovers up to a corner of the Bedroom.
28. NEW ANGLE AN IMAGE OF OLD CHINESE ANCESTORS SITTING IN A CIRCLE APPEARS. THEY BOW IN CONTEMPLATIVE MEDITATION SURROUNDED BY AN IRIDESCENT FOG. Yu-Lin approaches an ELDERLY CHINESE WOMAN, SUE-MEI (70's), in the Circle and kneels by her side. She wears a KEI PO; a TRADITIONAL CHINESE GOWN. He leans closer looking affectionately into her face. YU-LIN Sue Mei. She slowly raises her head and turns to him. She looks into his longing eyes and smiles while gently caressing the side of his face with her hand. SUE-MEI My husband. INT. HERB SHOP HALLWAY Michael removes a BOOK from a TALL BOOKCASE. He throws the Plastic Case containing the stolen Chip onto the Bookcase and replaces the Book. He knocks on Yu-Lin's BEDROOM DOOR down the Hallway. MICHAEL Gramps! We're almost ready! close to midnight! INT. YU-LIN'S BEDROOM Yu-Lin holds her hand against his face. He struggles to speak. It's
YU-LIN Yes, Michael. I will be there in a moment. He stands and takes a final look at the Ancestors, then holds the Open Box in front of him. The Sphere gently rests into its Case. and the Image DISAPPEARS. He snaps the Lid shut
He returns the Box to its Nook and shuts the Doors.
29. INT. HERB SHOP LIVING ROOM A SMALL DOORWAY JOINS THE LIVING ROOM AND STORE FRONT. Michael's Mother, ALICE (50's), finishes DINNER preparations in a SMALL KITCHEN. Michael's Sister, MELANIE (20's) stuffs LAI SI; SMALL RED ENVELOPES CONTAINING MONEY, at a SMALL EBONY TABLE. Michael's Father, GEORGE (50's), sits at the DINNER TABLE reading a NEWSPAPER. Michael enters. MELANIE (to Michael) Is Grandpa coming? It's almost time! Michael sits on a SOFA. MELANIE (CONT'D) Michael? Huh? MICHAEL Oh--yeah, he's coming.
MELANIE What does he do in there all alone? MICHAEL What he always does this time of year; meditating or something. ALICE Your Grandfather keeps himself so busy during the year. He needs this time to reflect. MICHAEL About what? He's an old man without worries. What does he need to escape from? George looks over his Newspaper at Michael. GEORGE Is something wrong, son?
30. MICHAEL Nothing.
Michael walks to a Window and stares out onto the street. ALICE You know, Michael, although he never shows his feelings it hasn't been that easy for him since your Grandmother passed away. MICHAEL I know, mom. DOOR OPENING AND CLOSING WITH A JINGLING BELL (O.S.) MELANIE But, he has us--and the traditions of the... Traditions? you know. Michael! NORA MIAO (30's), a Chinese woman, and her TWO SMALL CHILDREN, appear at the Doorway carrying a SMALL BASKET OF FRUIT AND A LARGE SWAY OF FLOWERS. Alice, Melanie and George greet her at the Doorway. Yu-Lin enters and joins them. The Children stand behind Nora. MICHAEL We don't live in Shanghai, GEORGE
Alice hands a Red Envelope to each Child. They smile and bow. Nora offers Alice some Fruit and Flowers. EXT. BROADWAY FIRECRACKERS AND SPINNING WHEELS IGNITE INTO A ROARING EXPLOSION OF SOUND. DRAGON DANCERS LEAP AROUND IN A FRENZY BEFORE A CROWD OF SPECTATORS ON THE STREET. INT. HERB SHOP LIVING ROOM NORA Kung hei fat choy!
31. They return the greeting and Nora and her Children exchange bows and leave. EXT. BROADWAY David, Annabel, Pao Lin, Chong-Ho and Chin Fu walking among the Crowd of Spectators. MAN DANCING AROUND IN A DEMON MASK startles Annabel. A SIGN over the ENTRANCE to the Chen's Store reads, "Herbalist." David, Annabel, Pao Lin and Chong-Ho past Nora entering the Store. Chin Fu remains outside by the Door. Nora grabs her Children's hands and hurries away. INT. HERB SHOP LIVING ROOM Alice and Melanie prepare to serve dinner. Yu-Lin goes to Michael at the Window. YU-LIN Do you have time to eat with us, Michael? MICHAEL Of course, Grandfather. DAVID (O.S.) Kung Hei Fat Choy! Everyone turns toward the Doorway. NEW ANGLE David, Annabel, Pao Lin and Chong-Ho in the Doorway. MICHAEL What are doing here? Ah, Michael. DAVID We missed you today. Get
MICHAEL You weren't suppose to come here! out!
32. George steps toward David. Chong-Ho shoves him back. Yu-
Michael moves toward David. Pao Lin steps between them. Lin places a hand on Michael's shoulder stopping him. DAVID Not a very pleasant welcome on this celebrated evening. David walks casually around the Living Room. DAVID (CONT'D) Very nice and very livable, and the food smells simply scrumptious. (to Alice) May we dine with you this evening? Alice gasps. Michael moves at David but Yu-Lin again holds him back. DAVID (CONT'D) A practical man. You must be Yu-Lin. I've heard of you. It is said that all pragmatic men drink from the same stream of wisdom. We both share that trait. We may even share a common lineage. YU-LIN Bestiality is a trait not common in this lineage. David backhands Yu-Lin across the face. Michael lunges at David. Alice screams.
Pao Lin shoves him back.
George tries to help his Father but Chong-Ho holds him. Yu-Lin recovers quickly and stands facing David, undaunted. DAVID (to Yu-Lin) Apparently politeness is also not a trait. Enough platitudinous chit-chat. (to Michael) Give me the chip.
33. MICHAEL You bastard! You come here and assault my grandfather. Get out of here now! DAVID Just hand over the item and we will be on our way? MICHAEL I've changed my mind. DAVID That is not possible. You can not repudiate our agreement. Give me the chip. MICHAEL I threw it into the bay on my way down here. DAVID I do not have time for your impertinence! Yu-Lin sees David motion to Pao Lin. Yu-Lin blocks Pao Lin's jab at Michael, then swings his elbow up and catches Pao Lin on the jaw, stunning him. Yu-Lin dodges a kick from David and knocks his feet out from under him, sending him onto the floor. Alice and Melanie scream. Annabel holds them at bay. Chong-
George hits Chong-Ho in the stomach as hard as he can. Ho smiles, then knocks him down.
Yu-Lin and Michael run to George. When Chong-Ho comes at them Yu-Lin holds his foot out at his face. Chong-Ho swings at his foot but can't hit it. Yu-Lin kicks Chong-Ho in the face sending him back against the wall. David breaks a PORCELAIN VASE over Yu-Lin's head. David blocks a punch from Michael and kicks him hard in the stomach, knocking the wind out of him. Michael collapses. DAVID (CONT'D) I want the chip! Now!
34. MICHAEL Go to hell! DAVID (to Chong-Ho and Pao Lin) Find it! Chong-Ho goes to the Hallway. INT. HERB SHOP STORE FRONT Pao Lin tears apart everything in sight looking for the Chip. INT. HALLWAY Chong-Ho storms through Yu-Lin's Bedroom Door. INT. YU-LIN'S BEDROOM Chong-Ho rummages through everything. He tucks under one arm all of the SMALL WOODEN BOXES he finds in the Nooks, including the Box containing the Sphere, and exits the Bedroom. INT. HALLWAY Chong-Ho knocks all the Books off the Bookshelf with one hand. CLOSE-UP -- HALLWAY FLOOR The Chip drops onto the floor and bounces out of sight. INT. HERB SHOP LIVING ROOM Chong-Ho and Pao Lin enter. Yu-Lin and George regain consciousness. DAVID (to Chong-Ho and Pao Lin) Well? They shake their head. DAVID (CONT'D) This is not a game, Michael. You were inducted because of your technical prowess, not your courage. I see I will have to be more convincing. Pao Lin enters the Storefront.
35. David nods to Annabel. Annabel quickly removes the KNIFE from her waistband and holds it against Alice's throat. Alice cries. MELANIE Michael! MICHAEL Okay, okay, I'll give it to you. give it to you! I'll
DAVID That's better. Bring it to me now. Michael staggers to the Hallway with Pao Lin following behind. INT. HALLWAY He searches through the pile of Books on the floor and panics. MICHAEL Where is it?! Where is it?! He is unable to find the small Plastic Case. INT. HERB SHOP LIVING ROOM Michael and Pao Lin enter. Pao Lin shoves him toward David.
MICHAEL It's gone! It was there--on the book shelf. But now it's gone! DAVID Michael, I am very disappointed. He looks over at Annabel who fiendishly smiles at Alice. Chong-Ho opens the Boxes in his arms and empties the contents. Chong-Ho opens the Sphere Box and examines the contents. removes the Sphere and drops the Box onto the floor. He looks curiously at the Sphere, holds it up to his ear, shakes it, then tosses it away from him. He
36. NEW ANGLE The Sphere crashes through the Window. EXT. ALLEY THE SPHERE CRASHES OUT THE WINDOW, BOUNCES OFF THE TOP OF A TRASH CAN THEN ROLLS ONTO A CURB AND DROPS INTO THE GUTTER. A TRICKLING OF WATER SWEEPS IT DOWN INTO THE SEWER DRAIN. INT. HERB SHOP LIVING ROOM Yu-Lin jumps up and runs toward the Window. No! YU-LIN Chi kauh!
Pao Lin throws a knife at Yu-Lin and penetrates his right shoulder blade. Alice SCREAMS. Yu-Lin reaches behind his back and falls face down. George jumps off the floor and charges at Pao Lin in a rage. GEORGE No! David pulls out an AUTOMATIC PISTOL and points it at George. EXT. BROADWAY A GUNSHOT (O.S.) goes unheard among the sound of the FIRECRACKERS AND SPECTATORS on the Street. INT. HERB SHOP LIVING ROOM Alice kneels over George's body and cries. Michael lunges at David in a rage. MICHAEL You bastard! Pao Lin round-house kicks Michael in the head. Melanie SCREAMS.
37. DAVID I've tried my best to be congenial but you insist on being obstinate. Perhaps further motivation is required. David nods to Annabel. Annabel forces Melanie through the Doorway. Pao Lin and Chong-Ho follow behind. DAVID (CONT'D) Your sister will be released when the chip is delivered to me, but don't wait too long. I can tell Chong-Ho is quite attracted to her and I for one would not want to come between their blossoming love. David leans to Michael on the floor. DAVID (CONT'D) I'll be in touch. Oh, and by the way-any police intervention at all will result in your sister' termination. Have a nice evening, Michael. David leaves. Michael collapses onto the floor. EXT. BROADWAY -- LATER KELLY PIERSON (28), A RED-HAIRED, FEMALE UNIFORMED LOS ANGELES POLICE OFFICER, closes the rear door to an AMBULANCE. She watches the Ambulance speed away, SIRENS WAILING. JAMES YUEN (30), CHINESE-AMERICAN, UNIFORMED LOS ANGELES POLICE OFFICER, takes notes while interviewing SEVERAL BYSTANDERS in front of the Herb Store. James finishes taking notes and walks over to Kelly. JAMES Nothing. KELLY I hate this. A family is brutalized, their store demolished and no one heard or saw anything? Alice cries.
38. JAMES With all the noise and commotion on the street there's no way they could have heard anything. Besides, I doubt they'd say anything if they did. KELLY Their own neighbors. Very sad.
JAMES The asian gangs have had a lock on this area for decades. It's not about to change. KELLY Then, you think that's what this is? JAMES Yeah, pretty much. The residents wouldn't be so close-mouthed if it were strangers. Kelly watches the INVESTIGATION TEAM through the Store Window. KELLY What was that the old man kept moaning? Chi kauh? JAMES Cantonese for the sphere or ball. Doesn't make much sense. KELLY Why would he be so concerned about a ball? Was there anything found inside, or around the perimeter? JAMES Nope, not a thing, other than that broken window inside the living room. Possibly an entry point. KELLY Alright then, let's have a talk with the son. JAMES Roger that.
39. EXT. HERB SHOP STORE FRONT Nora Miao nervously watches Kelly and James. INT. HOSPITAL EMERGENCY ROOM -- LATER Kelly and James talk to a DOCTOR in the Emergency Room. Michael sits on a BED holding an ICE PACK to his head. Kelly and James walk over to Michael. KELLY Mister Chen, I'm Officer Pierson and this is Officer Yuen. Michael ignores them. KELLY (CONT'D) The doctor says your father and grandfather are critical but have a good chance. Your mother is with them in post-op now. Can you tell us anything more about the incident. Any details about who assaulted you? Michael shakes his head. KELLY (CONT'D) Mister Chen, Michael. We are here to help you, but we are going to need more information about... MICHAEL I've told you everything there is. KELLY Yes, but I only have a couple questions. Just some details. Michael nods. Kelly opens her Notebook and flips through some pages. KELLY (CONT'D) What do you do for a living, Michael? MICHAEL Engineer.
40. KELLY Here? MICHAEL No, up north. KELLY Now, it appears that another woman besides your mother lived at your parent's store. No! MICHAEL I mean, sometimes. My sister.
JAMES Where is your sister, now, sir? MICHAEL She's...in Hong Kong, visiting relatives for the new year. KELLY Michael, there's evidence that she was there recently. MICHAEL I said she's in Hong Kong! Kelly drops it. KELLY Alright, Michael. Your grandfather seemed to be moaning something about some sort of ball? MICHAEL Huh? I don't know anything about a ball. JAMES He seemed very concerned about some kind of sphere, sir. Michael shakes his head. KELLY Okay, Mister Chen, we'll leave you for now. Maybe you'd like us to contact your sister and tell her...
41. MICHAEL No! No--I'll take care of it. don't be concerned about that.
Kelly removes a BUSINESS CARD from her shirt pocket. KELLY Here's my card, Michael. Please call me if you remember anything else, will you? Michael takes the Card and nods. KELLY (CONT'D) I hope your father and grandfather will be fine but please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you or your mother, okay? Michael nods. Kelly and James leave. JAMES Well? KELLY He's lying. JAMES Of course. He's not going to jeopardize his family any more by saying anything. KELLY Still, I'd like to talk to his sister. JAMES I'm afraid this case will end up as another anonymous assault. KELLY Maybe, but I'd like to keep an eye on Michael for awhile. What do you say, partner? JAMES As if I have a choice.
42. INT. PRIVATE DINNER ROOM -- AFTERNOON An OLD CHINESE WOMAN (80's) places DISHES OF DIM SUM on a TABLE in front of her FAMILY. She fusses over them while everyone chatters. The Old Woman surveys the Dinner Table then rushes out of the Doorway leading to a RESTAURANT KITCHEN. INT. RESTAURANT KITCHEN SEVERAL CHINESE COOKS AT WORKING IN THE KITCHEN. The Old Woman removes SIX CHA SIU BAO from a BAMBOO STEAMER and places them onto a COUNTERTOP. She smiles a toothless grin while transferring the Cha Siu Bao onto a PLATE, then looks up and frowns. She sees ALEX KOVAC (30), looking over the various DIM SUM in the GLASS CASE. ALEX I'll have six cha siu bao, please. OLD WOMAN You want haau cha siu bao? Alex points to the Cha Siu Bao on the Counter. ALEX I want those cha siu bao. OLD WOMAN No, no--you want bake. No. ALEX I want steamed.
OLD WOMAN No more steam. Bake better! Alex looks at the Cha Siu Bao on the Counter, then looks her right in the eye. CLOSE-UP -- OLD WOMAN Scowling at Alex.
43. EXT. BROADWAY Alex walking down Broadway Street, holding onto a TAKE-OUT CARTON while munching on a STEAMED CHA SIU BAO. He reaches the Chen's Herb Store. He looks through the Window then walks to the Rear of the Store. He looks around to see if he is being watched, then slides open the Broken Window and enters. INT. HERB SHOP He searches the interior trying not to disturb anything. FIRECRACKER and FESTIVAL SOUNDS (O.S.). Alex walks to the front of the Shop and looks out the Window. EXT. BROADWAY FIRECRACKER DISPLAYS AND CHEERING PEOPLE HERALD THE ARRIVAL OF SEVERAL CONVERTIBLE AUTOMOBILES CONTAINING THE CHINATOWN BEAUTY QUEEN, HER ESCORTS AND COMMUNITY LEADERS. EXT. REAR OF HERB SHOP Alex sneaks out the Back Door. He watches a group of CHILDREN dance and scream in delight near a FIREWORK DISPLAY of PINWHEELS. CLOSE-UP -- PINWHEEL DISPLAY A ROD supporting the Pinwheels jars loose and the Pinwheels fall spinning to the ground. EXT. BROADWAY The Children jump and dodge around the spinning Pinwheels while hysterically laughing to themselves. Alex laughs at the sight of the frenzied Children. A Pinwheel careens off of a DECORATED LAMP POST and propels itself across the ground toward him. Alex jumps as the Pinwheel skips under his feet and wedges itself into some DEBRIS gathered in a GUTTER. He douses it out by pushing it down into some water with his shoe.
44. A SPARKLE OF LIGHT catches Alex's eye. P.O.V. ALEX A HALO OF COLOR AND LIGHT EMANATING FROM UNDER A CLUMP OF SHREDDED RED FIRECRACKER CASINGS AND PAPER RIBBONS. EXT. COLLEGE STREET Alex kicks the Clump with his shoe, revealing the Sphere. Alex studies the glistening Sphere, then squats down and touches it to see if it's hot. ALEX Huh, some kind of street ornament, or something. Cool. He picks it up, shakes off the Debris and places it into his coat pocket. NOTICE: ALL CELEBRITY APPEARANCES IN THIS FILM WERE TAKEN FROM STOCK FOOTAGE CLIPPED FROM MOVIES THAT HAVE BEEN CAREFULLY RESEARCHED TO ASSURE A SEAMLESS FIT INTO THE PLOT. THE CELEBRITY APPEARANCES ARE TO BE REAL-TIME MIXED INTO THE INDICATED SCENES. EXT. APARTMENT ENTRANCE Alex opens a MULTITUDE OF LOCKS AND DEAD BOLTS ON HIS DOOR. INT. APARTMENT SCARCELY FURNISHED APARTMENT WITH A SOFA, TELEVISION, END TABLE AND LAMP AND A LARGE TABLE IN BACK OF THE SOFA AGAINST A WALL. THE TABLE CONTAINS A COLLECTION OF MOVIE MEMORABILIA. SEVERAL FRAMED OLD MOVIE POSTERS HANG ON THE WALLS. Alex removes his coat and heats the Cha Siu Bao in a MICROWAVE OVEN. He tosses his WALLET and POCKET CHANGE into a DESK DRAWER also containing a SHOULDER HOLSTER, PISTOL and BADGE. He takes the Sphere from his coat and places it onto a PEDESTAL DISPLAY STAND on the Memorabilia Table. He stands at the Microwave Oven seconds before it shuts off.
45. In his best Jean-Luc Picard imitation. Dim Sum. A BELL RINGS. Alex grabs the Cha Siu Bao out of the Microwave and plops himself onto the Sofa in front of the TV. He grabs the REMOTE CONTROL and turns on the TV. Alex CHANNEL SURFS PAST SEVERAL AFTERNOON TV SHOWS. NEW ANGLE SIDE SHOT showing Alex on the Sofa in front of the TV. Alex CLICKS the Remote Control. SERIES OF SHOTS STOCK FOOTAGE -- THE MUNSTERS -- DISPLAYS ON TV HERMAN AND GRANDPA MUNSTER APPEAR BEHIND ALEX'S SOFA, WAVING AT HIM. Alex CLICKS the Remote Control. STOCK FOOTAGE -- SHOGUN -- DISPLAYS ON TV Herman and Grandpa DISAPPEAR. OMI SAN APPEARS BEHIND ALEX'S SOFA AND SWINGS HIS SAMURAI SWORD AT ALEX'S HEAD. Alex CLICKS the Remote Control just before the Blade hits his head. STOCK FOOTAGE -- NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 4: THE DREAM MASTER -DISPLAYS ON TV Omi San DISAPPEARS. FREDDY KRUEGER APPEARS BEHIND ALEX'S SOFA. NEW ANGLE Freddy Krueger flicks his RAZOR HAND. ALEX Steamed. Hot!
46. Alex CLICKS the Remote Control. STOCK FOOTAGE -- THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH -- DISPLAYS ON TV Freddy Krueger DISAPPEARS. A NAKED MARILYN MONROE DOUBLE APPEARS BEHIND ALEX'S SOFA. She smiles as she runs her hands along the sides of her body from her breasts to her hips, then reaches for Alex. Alex CLICKS the Remote Control. STOCK FOOTAGE -- KUNG FU -- PILOT EPISODE -- DISPLAYS ON TV Marilyn Monroe DISAPPEARS. MASTER PO APPEARS BEHIND ALEX'S SOFA AND THROWS A STAR WEAPON AT HIS HEAD. Alex CLICKS the Remote Control before the Star reaches him. STOCK FOOTAGE -- STAR TREK -- EPISODE "ARENA" -- DISPLAYS ON TV Master Po DISAPPEARS. THE GORN REPTILIAN CREATURE APPEARS BEHIND ALEX'S SOFA. NEW ANGLE The Gorn walks toward Alex with a STONE KNIFE in his hand. Alex CLICKS the Remote Control. STOCK FOOTAGE -- TRUE GRIT -- DISPLAYS ON TV The Gorn DISAPPEARS. JOHN WAYNE APPEARS ON HORSEBACK BEHIND ALEX'S SOFA. REARS WHILE WAYNE COCKS HIS RIFLE IN ONE HAND. THE HORSE
Alex's Apartment begins to shake. He looks nervously side to side. PICTURE FRAMES sway on the walls. INT. DOWNSTAIRS APARTMENT A FAMILY sits at a DINNER TABLE. An OVERHEAD SWAG LAMP sways back and forth.
47. The FATHER jumps up out of his CHAIR and HOLLERS. FATHER What the hell is he doing up there?! He grabs a BROOM and bounces the handle off the ceiling. FATHER (CONT'D) Knock that crap off, damn-it! INT. ALEX'S APARTMENT Alex steadies himself on the Sofa while he watches his Apartment shake. CLOSE-UP -- SPHERE Falling off the Pedestal and onto the floor. It rolls inbetween the Horse's hoofs then under the Sofa. INT. ALEX'S APARTMENT John Wayne and his Horse DISAPPEAR. A POUNDING NOISE is heard (O.S.). FATHER (O.S.) I said knock that crap off. me! Earthquake! ALEX Earthquake! You hear
FATHER (O.S.) Earthquake my ass. Knock it off up there, Bozo! Alex runs to the Window and looks out. P.O.V. ALEX NORMAL VIEW OF LOS ANGELES from his Window. INT. ALEX'S APARTMENT Alex looks at the MESS in his Living Room. THREE STOOGES THEME SONG (O.S.)
48. He stumbles around straightening Picture Frames on the Wall and replacing Knickknacks. He Sees the Sphere laying on the floor in front of the Sofa. PAN -- ALEX'S APARTMENT Of Alex from behind the Sofa and over the back of the heads of THE THREE STOOGES; LARRY, MOE, AND CURLY (DOUBLES). P.O.V. ALEX Picks up the Sphere and gazes at its surface. CLOSE-UP -- SPHERE ALEX AND THE THREE STOOGES IN THE REFLECTION OF THE SPHERE. INT. ALEX'S APARTMENT Alex falls on his ass. ALEX Whaaa! Larry, Moe, and Curly stand behind the Sofa. LARRY Hello... MOE (joins in) Hello... CURLY (joins in) Hello... LARRY, MOE, AND CURLY (together) Hello! NEW ANGLE Curly smiles and waves to Alex. INT. ALEX'S APARTMENT Alex stares at them in disbelief.
49. ALEX How are you here?
MOE I don't know, Kid. I was starting to wonder that myself. Dumfounded, he stands and walks over to them while holding onto the Sphere. He walks around the Stooges, gawking, while they watch him. Alex shakes his head. No way! ALEX I don't believe this!
MOE Listen, Kid, can you tell us what we're doing here? Alex backs away, shaking his head. Curly reacts to the TV. CURLY Oh--look! CLOSE-UP -- TV STOCK FOOTAGE -- THE THREE STOOGES -- EPISODE "GHOST IN TIME" INT. ALEX'S APARTMENT MOE This can't be! LARRY Moe--we're ghosts! INT. ALEX'S APARTMENT Alex stares at them. MOE Hey, what's this all about? Alex points at them with the hand that holds the Sphere.
50. ALEX You--you can't be real! CLOSE-UP -- ALEX'S HAND Closing around the Sphere. INT. ALEX'S APARTMENT The Stooges DISAPPEAR. Alex blinks. find them. He looks around the back of the Sofa but can't
ALEX Sheeze--this is weird. more...
I gotta get
Alex's hand opens up and exposes the Sphere. The Stooges REAPPEAR behind the Sofa. ALEX (CONT'D) What the hell! Alex looks at the Sphere in his hand. around it the Stooges DISAPPEAR. He tightens his grip
He opens his hand again and the Stooges REAPPEAR. Alex opens and closes his hand around the Sphere several times and the Stooges DISAPPEAR and REAPPEAR. MOE Knock it off! You're making me dizzy! ALEX It's the sphere! I don't believe it!
MOE Listen, Kid, I think we'll be getting along now. It was nice to meet ya! Moe opens the Door. out. Curly bumps into the wall on the way
CURLY Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk. Alex covers the Sphere with his hands and they DISAPPEAR.
51. He walks over and shuts the door, then laughs uncontrollably. INT. HERB SHOP STORE FRONT -- AFTERNOON Michael enters the Store. He has a BANDAGE on the side of his head and the Store interior lies ransacked. He rushes to the Hallway. INT. HERB SHOP HALLWAY He searches through the Books on the floor. INT. HERB SHOP LIVING ROOM He wanders aimlessly into the Living Room. The TELEPHONE RINGS (O.S.). MICHAEL Hello. DAVID (V.O.) Michael, how nice to hear your voice again. I hope my visit last night wasn't too disturbing. MICHAEL Where's my sister? DAVID (V.O.) Right here. We're showing her around town. I thought it might be nice to get some fresh air. She's been cooped up you know. MICHAEL You bastard! You almost killed my father and grandfather! DAVID (V.O.) Almost? Well, there will be no half measures with your sister, Michael. I can assure you of that. MICHAEL David, the chip is gone. here. It's not
52. DAVID (V.O.) Then you'd better find another one very quickly, because my congeniality is growing short. I have other business to attend besides you and my associates are not as patient as I am. MICHAEL Let me speak to Melanie. DAVID (V.O.) I emphasize, again, the need for you to take this seriously. MICHAEL Let me speak to her! DAVID (V.O.) You may speak to her--for a moment. INT. LIMOUSINE Melanie sits in-between David and Annabel in the back seat. Chin Fu drives. David hands Melanie the CAR PHONE. Michael? MELANIE Michael?
MICHAEL (V.O.) It's me Melanie. Are you alright? Yes. MELANIE Is dad and grandpa okay?
David takes the Phone out Melanie's hands. DAVID As you can hear your sister is fine for now. But if I don't have the chip in my possession very soon... MICHAEL (V.O.) I don't have the chip! David looks out of the side window.
53. DAVID Then we'll throw her off the bridge and see how well she swims. And funny thing, Michael... EXT. MAIN STREET BRIDGE The Limousine drives over the Los Angeles River. DAVID (V.O.) ...there isn't any water in there. INT. HERB SHOP LIVING ROOM Michael pounds his fist on the Table. MICHAEL Where are you taking her? DAVID (V.O.) Some place very dry and very cozy. Where she'll have plenty of company to keep her occupied. MICHAEL David... DAVID (V.O.) Don't keep me waiting, Michael. The next time I call you will have the chip. David hangs up the phone. Michael lowers his head onto his arms and sobs. He hears a BUZZING SOUND and TWO CLICKS emanate from the Phone still in his hand. He raises his head, smiling. INT. L.A.P.D. -- CENTRAL DIVISION AT 6TH AND WALL STREET -EVENING THE SQUAD ROOM BUSTLES FROM THE SOUND OF COMPLAINING OFFENDERS, FOOT TRAFFIC AND CLATTERING KEYBOARDS. Kelly and James sit with Nora Miao in the Captain's Office.
54. KELLY You're here about last night. Nora nods. KELLY (CONT'D) Please, Mrs. Miao, what can you tell us about it? JAMES Mrs. Miao, your first name? NORA Nora. Nora looks at the Entrance. JAMES You're very safe here, Nora. Please feel free to tell us anything you may know about what happened at the herb store. Nora removes a HANDKERCHIEF from her PURSE. NORA I--I saw them. JAMES You saw whom, Ma'am? NORA I saw the ones that went into George and Alice's store. KELLY Now, Nora, I'd like you to take your time and tell us what you did last night, okay? NORA We...my children and me--stopped in the herb shop to wish them a happy new year. Kelly writes in a NOTEBOOK. KELLY Who were there in the shop, Nora?
55. NORA In the back, where they live. They were ready to have dinner when we... JAMES Who were? NORA George and Alice, Melanie, Michael and the Grandfather. KELLY Melanie? NORA Yes, the daughter. KELLY Do you know where she is now? NORA Isn't she at the hospital? KELLY Yes, of course. Please go on. NORA We were leaving after the fireworks started, you know, at midnight, the start of the new year, when these men and a young woman pushed their way past us. Nora weeps. Kelly consoles her. Please continue.
KELLY It's alright, Nora.
NORA Well, they had a frightening look to them. JAMES What did they look like, Mrs. Miao? NORA They looked evil. Like the men the old ones would hide from when I was a little girl.
56. KELLY Can you be more specific, Nora? NORA There were two very large men and a shorter man with long hair. KELLY Asian men? Nora nods. NORA And one in a dark suit. KELLY Yes, go on, please. NORA Three men and the young woman went inside while one of the large men waited outside by the front door. JAMES What did you do then? Nora weeps into her Handkerchief. NORA We left. I was frightened. afraid to do anything. I was
KELLY That's alright, Nora, you had your children with you, too. JAMES Do you think you would recognize these people if you saw pictures of them? Nora nods. INT. L.A.P.D. -- SQUAD ROOM -- LATER Kelly and James walk Nora towards to the Entrance. KELLY Thank you, Nora, for coming in. were a great help. (MORE) You
57. KELLY (MORE) I know it took a lot of courage for you and I know George and Alice will appreciate it too. NORA I'm sorry I didn't say anything before. I must go, now. JAMES Can I walk you out? NORA No, thank you. KELLY Please call us, Nora, for any reason. You have my card, okay? NORA Yes, thank you. Nora turns and quickly exits. KELLY She's scared to death. JAMES She should be. I think we'd better keep an eye on her for awhile. KELLY And I'm going to have a talk with Michael and find out what's going on with his sister, too. JAMES We'd better notify investigation what we just learned. KELLY Sure, but after I run some checks on that character she identified. JAMES David Liu. He's been around here for some time now. Small time hood. KELLY I wonder who those other bastards are?
58. EXT. ESTABLISHING SHOT -- EVENING A LARGE PLANT LOCATED IN AN INDUSTRIAL AREA ABOVE THE EMBANKMENT ALONG THE LOS ANGELES RIVER. INT. PLANT OFFICE THE OFFICE OPENS TO A LARGE OPEN WORK AREA USED FOR REBUILDING AUTOMOBILE ENGINES. Chin Fu and Annabel sit at a TABLE in the Work Area eating TAKE-OUT FOOD. David talks on the PHONE. DAVID ...yes, Mister Francois, the facilities will be ready and everything is proceeding according to strategy. There are no problems with logistics. Yes, Sir, the chip will be here within twenty-four hours. Yes, I understand. He hangs up and walks out to the Work Area. INT. WORK AREA THE WORK AREA CONTAINS AN ASSORTMENT OF OVERHEAD HOISTS, DEGREASING TANKS AND PARTS RACKS. ENGINE BLOCKS IN VARIOUS STAGES OF DISASSEMBLY LAY ABOUT THE AREA. David unlocks a NARROW WOODEN DOOR to an ENCLOSED PARTS ROOM. INT. PARTS ROOM Melanie sits by herself on a SMALL RAGGED BED in a corner of the Room. She is frightened. SEVERAL UNOPENED CARTONS OF TAKE-OUT FOOD ARE PLACED ON TOP OF A FOLDING CARD TABLE IN FRONT OF HER. DAVID Now, Melanie, you haven't touched a thing. Is something wrong with the choice of cuisine? MELANIE I--I'm not hungry.
59. DAVID You must eat to keep your strength. Melanie shakes her head. I insist. DAVID (CONT'D) You will eat!
MELANIE Please let me go! Let me leave! David slaps her across the face. DAVID Enough of your whimpering. Your brother has much to do if he wants to see you alive again. I also have commitments to meet and I will not tolerate your disobedience! David leaves and the Door slams shut. EXT. BROADWAY -- DAY Michael in his Honda searching the Street. EXT. CHINATOWN NORA PICKING THROUGH VEGETABLES AT A SIDEWALK PRODUCE STAND. NEW ANGLE Kelly and James, in UNIFORM, walk on opposite sides of the Street. They greet people while keeping Nora well within view. EXT. BROADWAY Michael spots a POLICE CAR. P.O.V. MICHAEL Lettering on the rear of the Police Car, "L.A.P.D. NO. EXT. BROADWAY Michael parks his Honda a short distance from the Police Car and searches the sidewalks through his windshield. 1531." Melanie weeps.
60. NEW ANGLE Nora continues to pick through the Produce. Her eyes FOCUS at a distance and sees Chong-Ho standing down the sidewalk staring at her. Nora gasps. She sees Chin Fu standing a short distance from Chong-Ho, also staring right at her. Nora panics. She drops her CARRYING BAG and flees in the other direction down the busy Street. Kelly sees Nora panic and grabs her RADIO. James! KELLY Something's wrong!
James looks through the crowd on Broadway, RADIO in hand. JAMES Where is she? I can't see her! Kelly jogs down Broadway. KELLY She's running away from someone. on! Kelly and James running down Broadway. Nora stumbles into PEOPLE while struggling to get through the crowded sidewalk, continuously watching behind herself. Chong-Ho and Chin Fu move among the Crowd toward Nora. NEW ANGLE Annabel calmly walks along a SIDE STREET in Nora's direction. She approaches an OLD CHINESE MAN WEARING A RED JUNG SAAN JONG; A TRADITIONAL CHINESE JACKET, STANDING IN FRONT OF HIS SOUVENIR CART ON A STREET CORNER. NEW ANGLE Nora sobs while struggling to get through the Crowd. Breathless, she stops at a Street Corner and looks down Broadway while backing up against a Building Wall. Come
61. She backs into the Old Man wearing the Red Jung Saan Jong. The Old Man turns around, and it's Annabel! Annabel removes a KNIFE from her waistband, flicks it around in her fingers and plunges it into Nora's abdomen. Nora gasps. NORA Please! No! Nora backs against the Wall slides and down to the ground. NEW ANGLE Kelly and James meet across the Corner from Nora. A WOMAN SCREAMS (O.S.). Kelly looks in the direction of the Scream. KELLY No! NEW ANGLE Michael watches Kelly and James. He's about to get out of his Car when Kelly and James start to run. He stays put. NEW ANGLE Kelly runs across the Street, slipping onto her hands. She and James reach the Corner where SEVERAL PEOPLE stand terrified at the sight of Nora and the Old Man laying in a POOL OF BLOOD. Kelly cries out. No, damn it! KELLY No! He shakes his head.
James kneels by Nora and feels her wrist.
Kelly stands, in tears, looking wildly up and down the Street. She shouts at the BYSTANDERS. KELLY (CONT'D) Where are they! Where did they go?
62. No one talks. They just stand, silently staring at Nora and the Old Man laying on the Sidewalk. INT. LIVING ROOM - LATER Nora's Two Children play with TOYS in front of their father, ROBERT MIAO, A MIDDLE-AGED CHINESE MAN. Robert reads a CHINESE NEWSPAPER at the KITCHEN TABLE. A DOORBELL RINGS (O.S.). The Children run and open the FRONT DOOR. NEW ANGLE Kelly and James outside the Doorway. Kelly stoops down and sadly smiles at the Children, stroking their smiling, eager faces with her hand. She stands and looks at Robert. Robert stands.
She can't hold back her tears and turns away from him. James looks soberly at Robert, then lowers his head. The Newspaper drops gently out of Robert's fingertips. INT. L.A.P.D. -- CENTRAL DIVISION AT 6TH AND WALL STREET -LATER Alex, wearing his BADGE, walks unnoticed around the OPERATIONS CONTROL CENTER. He searches the ASSIGNMENT MONITORS for Officers Pierson and Yuen, then scribbles a note on his PDA. EXT. BUILDING ROOF -- NIGHT Kelly looking through BINOCULARS while squatting behind a ridge on the Roof. JAMES (V.O.) Twenty-three. Kelly removes the Radio from her Belt. KELLY Go ahead, James.
63. INT. POLICE CAR James drives along a CITY STREET while talking on the RADIO. JAMES You've been up there a long time, Kel. Anything? EXT. BUILDING ROOF Kelly leans against a wall. KELLY No, nothing. Just the usual foot traffic and festival nonsense. JAMES (V.O.) How about a break? No, thanks. KELLY You go get something.
JAMES (V.O.) Kelly, this isn't going to help anything. It's not our fault. KELLY Yes it is, James. You know it is.
JAMES (V.O.) Well, I know we did what we could. KELLY It wasn't enough. Kelly restarts her search of the Streets with the Binoculars. KELLY (CONT'D) You know, I've been thinking all day about why there wasn't any theft after such a brutal attack on the Chen family. JAMES (V.O.) Gangs. Probably having what they think is fun. KELLY I don't think so. Something doesn't feel right. And those ruffians. Asian Mafia?
64. JAMES (V.O.) No. They disappeared from here long ago. Gangs ran them out of business. Just a couple independents operating locally. KELLY Michael is an engineer. Maybe he has something they want. He lied about his sister. Nora's death. No one saw the killer or witnessed the Chen family's attack. I don't think the street gangs have anything to do with it. I think that David hood has got something big planned. INT. POLICE CAR James frowns. JAMES Have you discussed this with investigation? KELLY (V.O.) I have an appointment with the Captain right after watch. JAMES Okay, I'll call in and pass on your ideas now as supplemental info. KELLY (V.O.) Thanks, partner. JAMES Alright, let me check in with central. KELLY (V.O.) Thank you, James. I'll be here. JAMES Call you in a few. He dials a SMALL CELL PHONE. SUBTITLE. It's me. Ten-four. IN CANTONESE WITH ENGLISH
65. EXT. ALEX'S APARTMENT -- MORNING Alex exits his Apartment. EACH ARM. A BEAUTIFUL, BIKINI-CLAD WOMAN ON
He kisses each Girl and places the Sphere into his Coat pocket. The WOMEN DISAPPEAR. EXT. BUILDING ROOF Kelly wearily pauses while looking through the Binoculars. NEW ANGLE OPEN LOT ON THE SIDE OF THE BUILDING COVERED WITH OVERGROWN GRASS, WEEDS AND LITTER. A TALL ALUMINUM STREET LIGHT STANDS BETWEEN THE BUILDINGS. Pao Lin holds his hand against a BULGE in his Coat when he and Chong-Ho sneak around the side of the Building. He pulls a MINIATURE CROSS BOW from under his Coat, loads it with a SHORT, BARBED ARROW and aims it up at Kelly. EXT. BROADWAY Alex finds an inconspicuous location that overlooks the Building where Kelly is stationed. He searches the Building with a pair of BINOCULARS and spots Pao Lin aiming the Crossbow up at Kelly. Alex runs to Kelly. EXT. BUILDING Alex draws his PISTOL and cautiously approaches the back of the Building. EXT. SIDE OF BUILDING He turns a corner and runs right into the back of Chong-Ho. Chong-Ho instantly turns and backhands Alex across the face, sending him and his Pistol to the ground. The Sphere rolls out of his Pocket. Pao Lin drops the Cross Bow and pulls a PAIR OF NUN-CHUKS from his waist.
66. NEW ANGLE Alex, with a BLOODIED-NOSE, laying on the ground looking up at his attackers. P.O.V. ALEX Watching a very large Chinese man (Chong-Ho) come at him. NEW ANGLE STOCK FOOTAGE -- GOLDFINGER GOLDFINGER'S KOREAN MAN SERVANT, ODDJOB, WALKS IN-BETWEEN THE BUILDINGS AT THE SOUND OF FINGER THIMBLES. TING-TING. Pao Lin and Chong-Ho see Oddjob and take a few steps back. Pao Lin swings the Nun-Chuks around his body in Bruce Lee fashion while Chong-Ho demonstrates several Kung-Fu stances. Oddjob removes his Bowler Hat and throws it at them and they... DUCK! The Hat passes over them and nearly severs the Aluminum Street Light when it embeds with a LOUD CLANG. EXT. BUILDING ROOF Kelly looks down between the Buildings for the noise. EXT. SIDE OF BUILDING Pao Lin and Chong-Ho dive to the side when the STREET LIGHT CRASHES TO THE GROUND. EXT. BUILDING ROOF Kelly grabs her Radio. KELLY Twenty-eight. Twenty-eight! Yes, Kelly. JAMES (V.O.) Go ahead.
KELLY Get here quick! South side of the building!
67. JAMES (V.O.) I'm on spring street at the river. Wait for me! Kelly runs to the ROOF ENTRANCE DOOR. EXT. SIDE OF BUILDING Pao Lin and Chong-Ho run away. Alex stands, brushes himself off and holsters his Pistol. Alex finds the Sphere laying in a CLUMP OF WEEDS and reaches down to pick it up. The Sphere flies up hard into his hand. He tosses the Sphere down by reflex and steps back, then cautiously leans forward with his hand held out. The Sphere moves a short distance toward him. ALEX Ha! He holds his hand straight out. his palm. Ow! He places the Sphere into his coat pocket. Oddjob DISAPPEARS. Kelly runs around the corner of the Building, PISTOL drawn. Alex raises his hands. KELLY What the hell's going on here. are those men? Where The Sphere slams hard into
ALEX Don't know, Officer. I was just walking to work when these guys attacked me. KELLY You mean you scared those guys off. You? ALEX I reasoned with their sensibilities.
68. She points to the Street light. KELLY What the hell's this all about. ALEX Hard to believe it just now decided to fall. Good thing no one was hurt. POLICE SIREN (O.S.). KELLY Yeah, right. Kelly places her Pistol back in its Holster. She removes a HANDKERCHIEF from her pocket and hands it to Alex. KELLY (CONT'D) Here. Alex takes the Handkerchief and holds it to his nose. James runs around the corner of the Building, PISTOL DRAWN. Kelly motions to James. KELLY (CONT'D) What's your name? ALEX Alex Kovac. KELLY Are you from around here? ALEX Two-twenty-one college street. Apartment ten-tee. KELLY You want to tell me what happened to the third guy, Alex? ALEX Third guy? KELLY Yeah, wearing a tuxedo.
69. ALEX Must have run off, too. KELLY You think you could identify them or give us a good physical description. Alex nods. James finds the Crossbow on the ground. JAMES Any idea where this came from, Mister Kovac? ALEX I believe the shorter of the two men was aiming it up at the roof. Kelly and James exchange looks. KELLY Do you need to see a doctor or anything for that nose? No, no. ALEX I'm fine, thanks.
KELLY (to James) Guess we better notify division to dispatch public works for this--this street light. James smiles and walks away carrying the Crossbow. Kelly turns to Alex. KELLY (CONT'D) Alex, we need to talk. INT. CAR Pao Lin looks nervously into the REAR VIEW MIRROR while driving. IN CANTONESE WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES. PAO LIN Where have I seen that before? Chong-Ho shakes his head, then smiles.
70. CHONG-HO Very cool. INT. COFFEE SHOP -- LATER Kelly, James and Alex sit at a TABLE inside a COFFEE SHOP with a PLATE OF DONUTS and CUPS OF COFFEE in front of them. KELLY Now, Alex, you said you were on the way to work at the court house when you bumped into this big guy? Alex nods, then looks around the Coffee Shop. ALEX Except for the donuts, this place doesn't look much like a police station. KELLY No, we wanted to take you out of the area to a less conspicuous place to talk. ALEX How come? KELLY Recent events. ALEX Having to do with that man and woman killed in Chinatown yesterday? KELLY Yes, and other things. I was on the roof of that building when you bumped into those guys and we think they were involved with other incidents that have happened there in the last couple of days. ALEX What can I do, Officer? KELLY Please call me Kelly. (to James) And this is James Yuen.
71. Alex nods at James. KELLY We very much need identifying those already know what EXT. STREETS Michael in his Car searching the streets. He spots a POLICE CAR parked in front of a COFFEE SHOP and slows down to read the lettering on the REAR BUMPER. P.O.V. MICHAEL Rear of Police Car reads, "L.A.P.D. NO. EXT. STREETS He turns a corner and finds a SECLUDED PARKING SPACE behind the Coffee Shop and parks. INT. COFFEE SHOP KELLY ...so he hit you in the face and you went down? Alex nods. KELLY (CONT'D) So how did you fight them off? Alex pauses to think up an excuse. NEW ANGLE Michael enters the Coffee Shop from the rear entrance. spots Kelly and James at a Booth. INT. COFFEE SHOP ALEX I guess I just went crazy and fought them off. Kelly rubs her forehead. James sees Michael. He 1531." (CONT'D) your help in men, but, I think I you're going to say.
72. JAMES Kel... Michael walks up to their Booth. KELLY Michael. MICHAEL I need your help. INT. COFFEE SHOP -- LATER Kelly, James, Michael and Alex sit at the Booth. KELLY ...and this cartel is establishing some sort of secret data bank right here in southern California? MICHAEL Everywhere. I thought it was a legitimate operation up to now. Information available only to a select few would now be accessible by others if needed. KELLY Rather naive wasn't it? MICHAEL Yeah, but the frightening part is with this chip they might be able to penetrate government security. Like an idiot I believed him when he said they just wanted to gather information on developing technology. KELLY Did Melanie say anything to indicate her location when you spoke to her? MICHAEL No, David only let her say a few words. KELLY Did she sound okay.
73. MICHAEL Frightened... (sobs) ...I can't believe I let this happen! KELLY Why did he approach you? MICHAEL I'm an engineer, with a high-tech company. KELLY Another source for the cartel. Michael nods. JAMES When did Mister Wu say he would call you again? MICHAEL He didn't. Just that I better have the chip when he does call. KELLY Michael, we're going to get her back. ALEX How about the phone call. Wouldn't the telephone company have a record of the call to Michael's house? KELLY Possibly. MICHAEL No, it was a cell phone call from his car. KELLY How do you know that? MICHAEL You could hear the road sounds in the background. ALEX The cellular phone company would have a record of that, too.
74. MICHAEL No, David is more clever than to use a regular cell phone, but maybe not that clever. KELLY That's why you came here. MICHAEL It's possible we may be able to track David when he calls. ALEX The oh-jay special! MICHAEL Right. KELLY (to Alex) Don't you have anything better to do? ALEX Well, my brother is getting married this weekend. Kelly shakes her head. KELLY (to Michael) You think he's using a clone phone? MICHAEL Doesn't matter. All cellular phones, cloned or not, transmit a signal when they are turned on that tells the nearest cell site that it's there. If you can contact the cellular phone company and have them monitor their switches for a call to my home phone number we can get a fix on the cell phone David uses. JAMES What are risks here? MICHAEL Well, if he shuts the phone off before he reaches his destination we'll lose (MORE)
75. MICHAEL (MORE) him. If Melanie isn't with him or he isn't on his way back to where she is being held won't help any. And if we just have enough time for all this. KELLY We might get lucky and he'll make the call from your sister's location. MICHAEL No, everyone knows now that a cell phone can be located, that's why he only calls away from his home base. What I'm betting he doesn't realize is that the phone is still transmitting his location after he hangs up. KELLY Michael, your sister is still in danger even if we do identify her location. It'll be up to the police afterwards. You realize that we'll do whatever we can to get her back? MICHAEL I know. Right now I'm just trying to think of how to keep David on the phone. I don't know how much time we'll have. KELLY The police will have. I'm not involving you further into this. MICHAEL You'll need me for coordinating the tracking. ALEX And, me, too. KELLY Huh? ALEX You still need me for identifying those men.
76. KELLY No, I think we have enough information between... ALEX Believe me I can be most helpful, and, as a county employee I could expedite your record access requests. KELLY You have already been most helpful, Alex, and record access is no problem. Kelly writes on a BUSINESS CARD. KELLY (CONT'D) Michael, forward your home phone to this number. It's our chief's office phone and he has a terminal there. Michael takes the Card. KELLY (CONT'D) We'll have everything ready when you get back. And, please be careful. INT. PARTS ROOM David enters. Melanie sits in the corner of the Room. DAVID When I return you will be released. And don't worry, I'm sure you will both be reunited without further inconvenience. David leaves. INT. PLANT Chong-Ho locks the Door behind David. ENGLISH SUBTITLES. IN CANTONESE WITH
DAVID She will bring a great price, or a gift of gratitude to your superiors. Chong-Ho nods.
77. David motions to Chin Fu and they both walk OFF SCREEN. Lin and Annabel remain behind with Chong-Ho. EXT. PLANT Limousine exits from an UNDERGROUND PARKING LOT. INT. YU-LIN'S HOSPITAL ROOM -- LATER Agitated and delirious, Yu-Lin lies restlessly in BED. sits by his side. YU-LIN ...must be controlled. Too vain. Too corruptible. Alice Pao
Alice leans closer, trying to understand Yu-Lin. ALICE What must be controlled? YU-LIN Boundless power. Eternal wisdom. Endless greed. She holds his hand and strokes his forehead. ALICE You must rest, Grandfather. all well. We are
YU-LIN The overseer. A way must be found. Without reason we will perish! ALICE What must we find? YU-LIN The sphere. Perpetual energy. dream realized or destroyed. ALICE Where is this sphere. Tears stream from his eyes. YU-LIN Sue Mei! The
Is it dangerous?
78. Yu-Lin falls into a deep sleep. Alice looks through her PURSE and finds a BUSINESS CARD. dials the Room Phone. ALICE Hello, may I speak to an Officer...Yuen? INT. L.A.P.D. CENTRAL DIVISION -- LATER A GIANT LOS ANGELES COUNTY STREET MAP HANGS ON THE WALL IN BACK OF A DESK. Kelly sits at a COMPUTER TERMINAL while talking on the TELEPHONE. Michael and James enter CHIEF LINQUIST'S OFFICE. KELLY Yes, this is Officer Pierson waiting-I'd like to arrange a surveillance connection. Yes, I'll wait. (to Michael) Just got authorization. I'm being transferred to the district switchboard. Michael motions for the Phone. MICHAEL Yes, this is Officer... He looks at Kelly's Badge. MICHAEL (CONT'D) Pierson. I'd like a terminal connection to your main exchange please. We'd like to monitor the paging channels from your switches in the central LA area. Yes, thank you. Michael grabs a PAPER AND PEN off the Desk and writes. MICHAEL (CONT'D) Got it. Are the location tables accessible from that number. Great, thanks. Kelly gets out of her CHAIR. * She
79. KELLY Go ahead, maestro. Michael sits and types. KELLY (CONT'D) Your phone is forwarded to line one. Michael nods. MICHAEL There--all set. KELLY Now what? MICHAEL We wait for David's call. JAMES And, then? MICHAEL Well, I'll be occupied on the phone, so you'll have to do the tracking. KELLY How do I do that? Michael points to the Monitor. MICHAEL When a number pops up here press a key and the table will display. Look up the site and pin its location. Got it? KELLY Now we just sit and wait. MICHAEL Yeah, and I've got to think up something to tell David. KELLY Just keep him on long enough to get a fix, Michael. We'll do the rest.
80. MICHAEL It's not just that. Melanie. KELLY So am I. JAMES We also have support units in the area. She'll be fine. MICHAEL No! David said he'd kill her if he knew the police were involved. KELLY Just shadows, Michael. It will look like nothing out of the ordinary. Trust us, okay? Michael nods. EXT. LOS ANGELES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT - DUSK David's Limousine exits LAX. A SERIES OF TELEPHONE TOUCH TONES (V.O.). INT. OFFICE The PHONE RINGS and the LINE ONE BULB BLINKS. Michael jumps out of his Chair. MICHAEL Wait for it! They stare at the Terminal. CLOSE-UP -- TERMINAL SCREEN It blinks, then displays: FILTER ON TRANSMISSION ESTABLISHED ESN 60173520 DATE 2/06 DURATION 0:03 SWITCH LA3 DIALED NUMBER 2134371288
I'm thinking of
81. INT. OFFICE Michael points at the Terminal Screen. The PHONE RINGS AGAIN. MICHAEL Press the key and look up LA three! Kelly presses a Key and stares at the Terminal Screen. Michael takes a deep breath and answers the Phone. MICHAEL (CONT'D) Hello. INT. LIMOUSINE David sits in the back seat. besides him. An OBSCURED PASSENGER sits
DAVID Ah, Michael. We have business to conclude and I'm not in the mood for any disappointments. INT. OFFICE MICHAEL David, I want to talk to Melanie. DAVID (V.O.) You have already talked to her. Kelly smiles and whispers to James. James locates a street intersection on the Wall Map and inserts a STICK PIN. He quietly picks up the Phone and whispers. JAMES Support twenty-three units. Suspect contact at grid D-eight by F-two. EXT. STREETS POLICE CARS RESPONDING. INT. OFFICE Kelly looks at Michael and nods.
82. MICHAEL I need to know if she's safe. INT. LIMOUSINE DAVID You'd better discontinue this game you're playing. You know what's at stake. INT. OFFICE MICHAEL Alright, alright, but I need some time. Kelly whispers again to James and he moves the STICK PIN. quietly talks into the Phone. Kelly whispers to Michael. KELLY He's heading in this direction. Michael looks confused. DAVID (V.O.) There is no more time. I want the chip, now! Kelly and James look at each other. KELLY (to James) Why is he heading over here? JAMES Probably just making some distance between him and his home base. INT. LIMOUSINE DAVID Michael, this is critical. have the chip immediately. INT. OFFICE Kelly presses the key on the Terminal and James moves the STICK PIN. I must He
83. Kelly whispers to Michael. KELLY He's in Chinatown. Michael stares at Kelly. MICHAEL David... INT. LIMOUSINE DAVID You sound preoccupied, Michael. I think you should concentrate on your sister and the business at hand. INT. OFFICE Kelly looks at the Terminal Screen and shakes her head. EXT. BROADWAY The Limousine pulls behind the Chen's Herb Store and parks. INT. LIMOUSINE DAVID I require the chip at this time. INT. OFFICE Michael looks helplessly at Kelly and James. MICHAEL Okay, okay, I have the chip! deliver it to you! EXT. REAR OF HERB SHOP The driver's door of the Limousine opens and Chin Fu exits. He walks to the BACK DOOR of the Herb Shop, removes a LARGE KNIFE from under his shirt and knocks. INT. OFFICE DAVID (V.O.) That's quite alright, Michael. (MORE) I'll
84. DAVID (V.O.) (MORE) Just hand it to my associate and our business will be concluded. Your sister will be released when I return. Michael looks frantically at Kelly and James. hand over the Phone. MICHAEL He's at the Herb Shop! KELLY Shit. James whispers into the Phone. JAMES Support twenty-three units, standby. EXT. REAR OF HERB SHOP Chin Fu knocks-in the Back Door. INT. HERB SHOP - LIVING ROOM Chin Fu searches the Room and notices the BUSY LIGHT BLINKING on the TELEPHONE. INT. OFFICE Michael stands speechless with the Phone to his ear. DAVID (V.O.) I hope you realize all of this could have been avoided if you would have... (beat) Michael, you've made a very fatal error. Michael closes his eyes. IN CANTONESE WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLE. He holds his
DAVID (V.O.) (CONT'D) I told you this was no game. Your sister will be immediately terminated! No--david! A CLICK (V.O.). Michael turns to Kelly in tears. MICHAEL Wait!
85. MICHAEL (CONT'D) He's going to kill her! KELLY We've got his signal. Let's concentrate on locating his hide out. Then we'll find Melanie, okay? JAMES I think we'd better shut down here and get investigation on this, Kel. Kelly presses a key on the Terminal. KELLY He's moving. Everyone anxiously watches the Terminal Screen. EXT. BROADWAY The Limousine travels past Broadway Street, through an INDUSTRIAL AREA and onto a BRIDGE. INT. LIMOUSINE David leans to the Unseen Passenger DAVID We will be at our base in a moment. IN CANTONESE WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLE. DAVID (CONT'D) (to Chin Fu) I want the Chen family eliminated. Chin Fu nods. David picks up the CAR PHONE RECEIVER. INT. OFFICE Kelly presses a Key. into the Phone. James moves the Stick Pin and speaks
JAMES Support twenty-three units. Suspect contact at main street bridge.
86. EXT. STREETS SEVERAL POLICE CARS TURN ONTO THE MAIN STREET BRIDGE MOMENTS BEHIND DAVID'S LIMOUSINE. INT. LIMOUSINE David dials the Phone. He hesitates when he hears the DIAL TONES emanate from the receiver, then hangs up. He notices the "ROAMING" LIGHT on the Phone FLASH ON AND OFF. DAVID Damn it! He immediately reaches behind the Phone and rips out the WIRING. CLOSE-UP -- TERMINAL SCREEN The Terminal Screen flickers and displays: FILTER ON TRANSMISSION TERMINATED ESN 60173520 60173520 60173520 60173520 60173520 INT. OFFICE MICHAEL No! He knows what we're doing! Melanie! James talks into the Phone. JAMES All support twenty-three units intercept suspect! Intercept and detain vehicle! DATE 2/06 2/06 2/06 2/06 2/06 DURATION 0:08 3:16 4:28 8:42 5:16 SWITCH LA3 LA6 LA8 La2 LA4M DIALED NUMBER 2134371288 2134371288 2134371288 2134371288 2134371288
87. EXT. STREETS The Police Cars almost catch up to David on the Bridge. The Limousine makes a quick right turn into an INDUSTRIAL AREA past the Bridge and disappears into a GATED PARKING STRUCTURE under the Plant. The Police Cars continue onto Main Street. INT. OFFICE Kelly stares at her Monitor. KELLY What's this last one there? listed on the table? Michael looks at the Screen. It's not
He smiles while wiping his eyes.
MICHAEL It's a micro-site. An extender. They're on another table. Michael types on the Keyboard. MICHAEL (CONT'D) Twenty-seventh and main. JAMES That's the industrial district. Nothing but factories and railroad tracks. KELLY It's a start. MICHAEL But, who knows where he went after the transmission stopped? JAMES I patrolled that area for two years. Not much there but around-the-clock production plants and sweat shops. James listens to the Phone. JAMES (CONT'D) Support twenty-three is canceling. They have two-eleven to cover.
88. Kelly stands up. KELLY Fine, but we do have a place to begin. It's dark now. Sign out the IR sight and let's get going. Kelly and James head for the Door. Michael follows.
KELLY (CONT'D) No, Michael, you have to stay here. We can't involve citizens in a critical police matter. MICHAEL I can still help, and I need to be there for Melanie. No way. KELLY You have to... He might be right.
JAMES Wait a minute, Kel.
KELLY Are you crazy? He's a principal in all this! JAMES He's also the most knowledgeable about what we're dealing with here and might be helpful on site with the identification of this technology were talking about. MICHAEL Yeah. KELLY I don't know, James. JAMES Just an observer. Too risky.
Kelly sees the determination in Michael's face. KELLY Geeze, you guys. Alright, let's go.
89. EXT. L.A.P.D. CENTRAL DIVISION -- MOMENTS LATER Kelly, James and Michael about to enter a POLICE CAR when Alex walks up to them. ALEX Are we ready to roll? KELLY Go away. Believe me. ALEX I can be an enormous help. I have to
KELLY You talk to him, James. call in. Kelly enters the Police Car.
JAMES This may very well turn into a very dangerous police situation, Mister Kovac. Alex removes the Sphere from his pocket and tosses it around in his hands like an ordinary ball. James notices it. ALEX Not a problem, officer. to the situation. Kelly returns. We'll adapt
She pulls James aside.
KELLY When I called in for our ten-eightyeight I asked advise from control about keeping Mister Kovac here in temporary custody. Instead, they gave him clearance to go along! They look at Alex. KELLY (CONT'D) Alright, Alex. What's up with you getting clearance to tag along? ALEX Court clerks move in mysterious ways. That's why you need me.
90. Kelly shakes her head. KELLY We don't have time for this. Alex and Michael get into the back seat. in and they drive off. INT. WORK AREA David and Chin Fu rush in. SUBTITLES. IN CANTONESE WITH ENGLISH Get in. Kelly and James get
DAVID (to Chin Fu) Turn those lights on. Chin Fu runs and opens an ELECTRICAL PANEL. DAVID (CONT'D) Turn everything on! Chin Fu throws ALL THE SWITCHES IN THE PANEL. FANS AND BOILERS TURN ON. INT. PARTS ROOM David unlocks the Door and enters. together with a ROPE. He binds Melanie's hands ALL THE LIGHTS,
DAVID Your brother has become quite troublesome. He will be the cause of your family's extinction but there is a lucrative market for attractive young girls such as you, Melanie. Melanie sobs. INT. WORK AREA David walks while shouting out commands. DAVID Chin Fu! David points to his own eyes, then straight up. Chin Fu runs and climbs a STAIRWAY. Davis exits.
91. DAVID (CONT'D) Annabel! Annabel turns to David. David points to the UPPER LEVEL. Annabel follows Chin Fu up the Stairway. Pao Lin and Chong-Ho lock the Parts Room Door. Pao Lin! DAVID (CONT'D) Chong-Ho!
David points to the rear of the Building. Pao Lin and Chong-Ho run to opposite sides at the rear of the Plant. David removes SEVERAL SHOTGUNS AND AUTOMATIC RIFLES FROM A STEEL LOCKER and places them against the Wall. INT. OFFICE David enters his Office. INT. POLICE CAR - NIGHT Driving over the Main Street Bridge. A THICK WIRE MESH PARTITION separates the front from the back of the Police Car. Kelly unhooks the MICROPHONE from the RADIO. KELLY Twenty-eight. DISPATCHER (V.O.) Twenty-eight. KELLY Main street and the river, over. DISPATCHER (V.O.) Roger, twenty-eight. EXT. INDUSTRIAL DISTRICT The Police Car approaches TWENTY-SEVENTH STREET. He picks up the Phone and dials.
92. The HEADLIGHTS GO OFF. The Police Car turns the corner and moves slowly down the empty Street. EXT. BUILDING ROOF Chin Fu sits behind LARGE ROOF VENT. He watches the Police Car travel a block past the Plant, then pull over and stop. INT. POLICE CAR KELLY This looks like a good place to start. Kelly unhooks the Microphone from the Radio. KELLY (CONT'D) Twenty-eight. DISPATCHER (V.O.) Twenty-eight. KELLY Twenty-seventh, south of main. DISPATCHER (V.O.) Ten-four. Kelly hangs up the Microphone and grabs the INFRARED SIGHT and exits. James meets her outside at the rear of the Vehicle. Kelly flicks a switch on the Sight and views the Buildings that line the Street. P.O.V. KELLY INFRARED IMAGE OF THE BUILDINGS. THE LETTERS "WFOV" APPEAR IN THE UPPER LEFT CORNER, AND "SENS. 50%" APPEAR IN THE UPPER RIGHT. BUILDINGS OUTLINED IN A GLOW OF LIGHT FROM ESCAPING HEAT. BILLOWING SMOKE STACKS ON ROOF TOPS GLOW THE BRIGHTEST FROM RISING STEAM. CARS PARKED ALONG SIDE OF THE STREET APPEAR DARK AND COLD.
93. EXT. PLANT ROOF Chin Fu ducks behind the Roof Vent when Kelly aims the Sight in his direction. EXT. TWENTY-SEVENTH STREET KELLY These buildings seem to be in full production. No hot spots on the cars, either. JAMES Kind of a long shot, isn't it? KELLY Yeah, but I'll take what I can get. Kelly looks up and down the street. KELLY (CONT'D) Damn--this place is dead. Maybe we should go further south. JAMES Or, better, let tactical handle it. KELLY We're just scouting, James. will be here in just... Kelly flips a SWITCH on the Sight. P.O.V. KELLY -- CONTINUOUS INFRARED IMAGE OF THE STREET. THE LETTERS "NFOV" ARE NOW SEEN IN THE UPPER LEFT CORNER, AND "SENS. 100%" ARE ON THE UPPER RIGHT. IMAGE SCAN ACROSS THE STREET DETECTS TWO VERY DIM CURVED LINES IN FRONT OF THE PLANT. EXT. TWENTY-SEVENTH STREET KELLY Wait a minute. The Calvary
94. P.O.V. KELLY A SET OF DIM TIRE MARKS THAT MAKE AN ARC FROM THE STREET AND STOP IN THE DIRECTION OF AN UNDERGROUND PARKING ENTRANCE TO THE PLANT. EXT. TWENTY-SEVENTH STREET KELLY Looks like someone was in a big hurry. Kelly hands the Sight to James and he takes a look. JAMES What do you think? Kelly glances behind at Michael. KELLY I think we can't wait any longer. I'm afraid of what may have already happened to Melanie. It's been awhile since the phone call. JAMES How did I know you'd say that. James opens the trunk of the Police Car. Kelly walks over to the Police Car. KELLY (to Michael) We've got to move--and now. MICHAEL We're going too! Michael and Alex try the Doors and find they're locked in. Come on. MICHAEL (CONT'D) Let us out, damn it!
KELLY No way, guys. This is a police action. Just sit tight. The backup will be here in a moment. Michael pounds on the Partition.
95. KELLY (CONT'D) Melanie will be fine, Michael. relax. Kelly walks to the rear of the Police Car. They each strap on a PROTECTIVE VEST. James grabs a RIOT SHOTGUN while Kelly checks the rounds in her SERVICE REVOLVER. JAMES Let's try the south side of the building, first. Michael and Alex watch two dark figures skitter across the Street and disappear into the shadows of the Buildings. EXT. PLANT ROOF Chin Fu runs to the Roof Exit. INT. WORK AREA Chin Fu appears at the Stairway. Chin Fu holds up two fingers to David then points toward the south side of the plant. David grabs a PUMP SHOTGUN and tosses it up to Chin Fu and points back upstairs. Chin Fu turns and runs back up. David tosses a Gun Holster up to Annabel standing near an OPEN LEDGE of the Second Level Floor. She catches it and straps it around her waist. David checks his WATCH. EXT. PLANT Kelly and James at the SIDE ENTRANCE. James presses on the DOOR, then tries the DOOR KNOB and shakes his head. Kelly points to a BROKEN WINDOW. James looks through the Window for any movement then reaches inside to unlock the Window Frame, opens it and climbs inside.
96. He reaches out through the Window and pulls Kelly in. INT. POLICE CAR Michael beats against the Partition with his hands. He reaches for the DOOR HANDLE AND LOCK and finds them missing. DISPATCHER (V.O.) Twenty-eight. They look at the Radio. DISPATCHER (V.O.) (CONT'D) Twenty-eight. Respond. MICHAEL Now what do we do? DISPATCHER (V.O.) Twenty-eight. Your ten-eighty-eight is assisting metro and will be delayed. Cancel operation until notified. Acknowledge, twenty-eight. MICHAEL Shit. We're stuck in this damned car, completely helpless. Alex reaches into his coat pocket and removes the Sphere. ALEX Well--not completely helpless. A LOUD GROWL IS HEARD (O.S.). EXT. POLICE CAR THE INCREDIBLE HULK APPEARS ON ALEX'S SIDE OF THE POLICE CAR. IN SLOW-MOTION, LOU FERRIGNO AS THE INCREDIBLE HULK, GRABS THE PASSENGER CAR DOOR AND RIPS IT AWAY FROM THE BODY OF THE POLICE CAR. MICHAEL Ohhh--shit! Alex calmly exits the Police Car and turns to Michael.
97. ALEX Like she said, Michael--just sit tight, okay? Michael nods, stunned. Alex smiles, then turns and walks away. The Hulk smashes the Door into the body of the Police Car, wedging it tightly back into place. Alex places the Sphere back into his coat pocket. The Hulk DISAPPEARS. INT. POLICE CAR Michael sits, wide-eyed, frozen in his seat. INT. PLANT ROOM Kelly and James behind a STACK OF CRATES surveying the area. They see TWO OPEN DOORS leading out into hallways on opposite sides of the Room. JAMES Take the one on the left. I'll take the right and met up with you. Kelly draws her Revolver and they quietly rush to each Door, then cautiously look out into the Hallway. Kelly follows the Hallway down to a STORAGE ROOM FILLED WITH BOXES AND ENGINE PARTS. James follows his Hallway until he reaches a MACHINE SHOP. Pao Lin crouches behind a CRATE while watching Kelly. positions himself behind a CRATE near a Walkway. EXT. PLANT Alex sneaks along the outside wall until he finds the open Window Kelly and James entered and crawls inside. INT. PLANT ROOM Alex drops to the floor and dashes behind the Crates. He
98. He pauses, then rushes to the Door Kelly went through. He spots a SMALL, NARROW STEEL STAIRWAY leading up to a CATWALK that runs along the length of the VENTILATION DUCTS. Alex removes the Sphere from his pocket, cups it firmly in his hand and runs to the Stairway. INT. MACHINE SHOP Chong-Ho stands behind a METAL STORAGE CABINET. INT. STORAGE ROOM Kelly, looking side to side, walks slowly among the Crates. Pao Lin swings his hand out from behind a Crate and hits her square in the chin, knocking her out. Alex's knocks the Sphere out of his hand. ALEX No! When Alex reaches for the falling Sphere it stops in mid-air. He looks up and the Sphere hovers near an OPEN BEAM. Pao Lin retrieves Kelly's Revolver off the floor, then looks up at the Cat Walk. Alex crotches down. INT. MACHINE SHOP James walking cautiously among the MACHINERY. Chong-Ho rears back his meaty fist to hit him, but when they meet eye-to-eye he lowers his hand. James continues walking. INT. STORAGE ROOM Pao Lin walks among Stacked Crates and A LEG FLIES UP INBETWEEN THEM, KNOCKING THE REVOLVER OUT OF HIS HAND. He catches a glimpse of SOMEONE IN-BETWEEN THE CRATES while shaking the sting out of his hand. Pao Lin removes the NUNCHUKS from his pocket and jumps out to surprise him. STOCK FOOTAGE -- CHINESE CONNECTION
99. BRUCE LEE standing next to a Crate, staring at Pao Lin. Startled, Pao Lin steps back and assumes a fighting position. BRUCE LEE REMOVES HIS JACKET AND FIGHTS PAO LIN (AS PETROV). THE FIGHT ENDS WHEN BRUCE LEE KNOCKS OUT PAO LIN WITH A KICK AND A RIGHT HOOK TO THE HEAD. Alex checks on Kelly's condition, rests her head on some SOFT PACKING MATERIAL and climbs the Catwalk. INT. POLICE CAR Michael uses both feet to dislodge the Crushed Door. the Police Car and sprints across the Street. EXT. PLANT Michael finds the Broken Window and pulls himself through. INT. PLANT Michael finds a NEWLY CONSTRUCTED GATED STORAGE AREA CONTAINING COMPRESSED GAS CYLINDERS. HE FOLLOWS THE PLUMBING LINES THAT LEAD TO AN UPSTAIRS LABORATORY. INT. STORAGE ROOM Kelly regains consciousness. She finds her Pistol laying next to Pao Lin on the floor. She walks back to the Hallway and climbs the Stairway to the Catwalk. INT. UPPER LEVEL STORAGE ROOM Chin Fu stands silently behind a STACK OF CRATES while holding onto his Shotgun. INT. CATWALK Alex slithers into a position where he can see Chin Fu. Kelly crawls along the Catwalk. watching Chin Fu. She spots Alex crouched down He exits
Kelly crawls behind Alex and touches his shoulder.
100. Alex jerks around. ALEX Wha..! INT. UPPER LEVEL STORAGE ROOM Chin Fu looks up. INT. CATWALK Alex stares at Kelly. KELLY I told you to say put. Alex quickly turns to Chin Fu. INT. UPPER LEVEL STORAGE ROOM Chin Fu points his Shotgun up towards the Catwalk. STOCK FOOTAGE -- THE THREE STOOGES -- EPISODE "MEN OR MICE" The heads of Larry, Moe, and Curly appear at the Doorway. Chin Fu turns and sees the Stooges. The Stooges turn and run away with Chin Fu chasing after them. INT. CATWALK Kelly is stunned. Alex shakes his head. KELLY What the hell was that?
ALEX Come with me and watch, alright? Kelly follows Alex along the Catwalk. INT. MACHINE SHOP Chong-Ho standing guard. Kelly and Alex quietly make their way along the Catwalk until they see Chong-Ho. Kelly draws her Pistol. KELLY Let me handle this.
101. Alex holds her back with his arm. ALEX Just watch. INTER-CUT -- STOCK FOOTAGE -- GOLDFINGER Chong-Ho turns and sees ODDJOB smiling at him. Chong-Ho takes a few steps back and gets into a Karate fighting position. Oddjob motions to Chong-Ho to "Come On." Oddjob fights Chong-Ho (James Bond). Finally, Oddjob grabs Chong-Ho's arm and throws him across a METAL TABLE, bouncing his head off an ENGINE BLOCK which knocks him out cold. KELLY Shit! She turns to Alex, who is smiling ear to ear. Kelly looks down in time to see Oddjob DISAPPEAR. KELLY (CONT'D) Alright, Alex. How is this happening? Alex points up toward the ceiling. What? ALEX See that? Kelly focuses her eyes and sees the Sphere hovering at the ceiling. She turns to Alex. KELLY The sphere! You found the sphere that Yu-Lin was talking about. But, how? What? ALEX I don't know. But it has some interesting properties, doesn't it? Kelly looks up.
102. Kelly shakes her head clear. KELLY This isn't happening. Alex motions to Kelly. I know. ALEX Come on.
She looks over her shoulder at the Sphere, then follows Alex. INT. HALLWAY STOCK FOOTAGE -- THE THREE STOOGES -- EPISODE "MEN OR MICE" Chin Fu chases the Stooges into the Storage Room. CURLY Wu, wu, wu, wu... INT. STORAGE ROOM Chin Fu walks quietly around some CRATES and hears FOOTSTEPS (O.S.) behind him. STOCK FOOTAGE -- STAR TREK TV SERIES -- EPISODE "SPACE SEED" Chin Fu turns and sees CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK standing in a fighting position, staring right at him. Chin Fu looks him over, then smiles. NEW ANGLE Captain Kirk flying backward through the air. skids across the floor OFF SCREEN. INT. CATWALK Alex cringes, then shrugs his shoulders. INT. STORAGE ROOM Chin Fu walks OFF SCREEN toward Kirk. STOCK FOOTAGE -- STAR TREK TV SERIES -- EPISODE "THE DEVIL IN THE DARK" He lands and
103. The HORTA Rock Creature chases Chin Fu ON SCREEN and into an OFFICE. INT. OFFICE Chin Fu runs to the other side of the Office and through another DOOR LEADING OUTSIDE. EXT. PLANT STOCK FOOTAGE -- GODZILLA VS. MONSTER ZERO (1970) Chin Fu looks up and stops in his tracks when he sees a GIANT THREE-HEADED FLYING DRAGON looking down at him. Chin Fu SCREAMS and runs back into the Plant. INT. OFFICE Chin Fu slams the Door shut and locks it, then nervously sits on top of a TABLE to catch his breath. STOCK FOOTAGE -- THE BLOB (1958) THE BLOB OOZES OUT THROUGH A WALL VENT BEHIND CHIN FU. It drops to the floor and rolls under the Table. The Blob rolls up in front of him. Chin Fu screams and fires the Shotgun twice at the Blob. BAM--BAM. INT. WORK AREA David hears the GUN SHOTS. He runs to the Parts Room and pulls Melanie out. He drags her over to a METAL WALL RACK and lifts her bound hands onto a PEG, almost suspending her against the wall. INT. OFFICE Chin Fu's Shotgun jams when the Blob rolls toward him. tries to run away but gets stopped by a locked Door. He screams when the Blob pounces on him. The Blob DISAPPEARS. Chin Fu collapses from fright. He
104. INT. STORAGE ROOM Pao Lin regains consciousness. INT. CATWALK Kelly and Alex watching Chin Fu. KELLY This is great! INT. OFFICE Chin Fu regains his composure. He grabs his Shotgun, forces the Office Door open and runs out into the Hallway. INT. HALLWAY Chin Fu runs madly down the Hallway. When he nears a corner, a HAND holding a SMITH AND WESSON MODEL 29 HAND GUN swings out and hits Chin Fu in the face. The Shotgun flies out of his hands when he hits the floor. Chin Fu shakes his head. He reaches for the Shotgun.
STOCK FOOTAGE -- DIRTY HARRY DIRTY HARRY (O.S.) Uh-uh. Chin Fu looks up and sees DIRTY HARRY pointing a gun at him. DIRTY HARRY (CONT'D) I know what you're thinking. But being this is a forty-four magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky. Chin Fu stares up in disbelief. DIRTY HARRY (CONT'D) Well, do ya, punk? Chin Fu shakes his head. Chin Fu collapses wearily onto the floor. up the Shotgun. Dirty Harry picks
105. INT. CATWALK Kelly and Alex give each other a "high-five," then creep along the Catwalk. They spot Annabel walking along the Upper Level. NEW ANGLE Annabel walks silently across the Open Floor. Floor overlooks a PARTS CLEANING ROOM. The end of the
She senses something behind her. She removes the Knife from her waistband and flips it around in her fingers. STOCK FOOTAGE -- HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL (1958) Annabel swings around and jabs the knife--into the ribs of a STANDING SKELETON. Annabel rears in shock, dropping the Knife as the Skeleton walks toward her. She steps backward in fear and moaning in disgust at the sight of it. SHE DRAWS THE AUTOMATIC PISTOL AND FIRES WILDLY AT THE SKELETON, SHATTERING SEVERAL OF ITS RIBS. INT. CATWALK KELLY Alex, I think that's enough. Alex ignores her. INT. UPPER LEVEL Annabel backs-up while facing the walking Skeleton. falls backward off the Ledge. PARTS CLEANING ROOM A BOILING DEGREASING TANK WITH A LARGE VERTICAL VENTILATION DUCT POSITIONED OVER A STEAMING ATMOSPHERE. CLOSE-UP -- HAZARDOUS MATERIAL LABEL Warning: Toluene INT. CATWALK Kelly places her hand on Alex's shoulder. She almost
106. KELLY Alex, she's only a suspect! He doesn't hear her. INT. UPPER LEVEL The Skeleton places its hand on Annabel's (Carol Ohmart) shoulder. She freezes in horror. VINCENT PRICE (V.O.) Come with me murderess. Come with me. Annabel SCREAMS. The Skeleton pushes her off the Ledge.
INT. VENTILATION DUCT ANNABEL DROPS HARD ONTO THE OPEN VENT. SHE SCREAMS, SCRATCHING HER FINGERNAILS AGAINST THE VENT PANEL WHILE SLIDING BACKWARDS INTO THE HOLLOW OF THE DUCT. INT. DEGREASING TANK HER BODY CRASHES THROUGH A METAL GRATE AT THE END OF THE VENTILATION DUCT. SHE FALLS FACE FIRST INTO THE BOILING DEGREASING TANK. CLOSE-UP -- DEGREASING TANK FOUNDATION THE SEMIGASEOUS LIQUID SPLASHES UP AND SIZZLES WHEN IT SPLATTERS AGAINST THE CONCRETE FLOOR. PAN UP -- UPPER LEVEL The quiet and empty Floor. STOCK FOOTAGE -- HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL (1958) FREDRICH LAUREN (Vincent Price) walks out of the shadows holding a PULLEY FIXTURE in front of him. He turns the pulleys and the Skeleton draws near him. He rips it away from its strings and looks toward the Ledge. FREDRICH LAUREN Good night, Annabel. It's a pity you didn't know when you started your game of murder, that I was playing, too. He tosses the Skeleton over the Ledge.
107. INT. CATWALK Alex regains his composure. ALEX I'm sorry, Kelly. Kelly silently nods. INT. PLANT - REAR Michael peers through the Laboratory Window and sees the back of a MAN working on a LARGE ELECTRONIC CONSOLE. The Man turns around. MICHAEL No! Scott! DAVID (V.O.) Won't you join us, Michael? NEW ANGLE Michael turns and finds David pointing a Pistol at him. INT. PLANT - STORAGE AREA Kelly and Alex silently walk in-between the Crates. KELLY We can't waste anymore time, Alex. need to find Melanie. Right. ALEX You take the... We He sees Kelly staring blankly. I lost it.
Alex is hit on the cheek by a glancing blow from Pao Lin. He takes a few steps back and rubs his cheek. Kelly stands ready. ALEX (CONT'D) (to Pao Lin) I guess once wasn't enough. Alex nods his head to the right. STOCK FOOTAGE -- CHINESE CONNECTION BRUCE LEE APPEARS, staring at Pao Lin.
108. Pao Lin sees Bruce Lee and reluctantly assumes a fighting position. NEW ANGLE James silently walks up behind Alex and Kelly. Kelly with the Butt of his Shotgun, He knocks out
When Alex turns to James, Bruce Lee runs and jumps at him, but James hits Alex in the chin with the butt of the Shotgun knocking him out. Bruce Lee instantly DISAPPEARS. The Sphere falls at James' feet. He picks up the Sphere and removes Alex's Pistol from its SHOULDER HOLSTER. IN CANTONESE WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLE. JAMES Bind and silence them. Pao Lin grabs some PACKAGING TWINE off the Floor and binds Alex and Kelly around the hands, mouth and neck. INT. SEMICONDUCTOR MANUFACTURING LABORATORY David follows Michael into the Lab. DAVID A fortuitous turn of events. Your colleague has decided to become an associate of our endeavor. We no longer require your device or your participation. SCOTT Did you really think I wouldn't notice your little swap in the lab, Michael? I located your counter subroutine and decided I just had to find out what you were up to. MICHAEL Scott, what have you told him? SCOTT Told him? I too made a duplicate chip and Mister Liu has been most generous in his appreciation. I owe you a lot, good buddy.
109. MICHAEL You don't know who you're dealing with! SCOTT I know you're out of it, and that your silence is guaranteed by way of criminal prosecution if anyone finds out. Isn't that right, Mister Liu? MICHAEL Scott! DAVID That will be enough conversation. We have much to accomplish in a very short period of time. Mister Brenner, if you would be so kind as to initialize the duplication process. No! MICHAEL You can't do that!
DAVID We've spent a small fortune on this lab just for the development and production of this chip and we have quite a list of backorders. SCOTT Development? Production? That wasn't ever mentioned. And how can you even consider distributing a device whose capabilities have yet to be totality understood? This thing can think! DAVID I am aware of its capabilities. And Mister Brenner, you must trust my ability to manage its power and application. It is what you have been compensated for. SCOTT Then you had this in mind all the time. Not just chip manufacturing? DAVID Recent advances in cloning sparked an idea. (MORE)
110. DAVID (MORE) Why not apply a similar concept used by laboratories to modify certain characteristics of invertebrates through DNA. In our case we start with a highly developed application and add to that the desired controls and manipulations. The result is a most powerful and elusive entity. SCOTT I'm not so sure about this, Mister Liu. David points to the Console. DAVID Here you have a device that you claim can think. Why not tailor it during the duplication process to think for us. The possibilities are endless. This first prototype will be our boilerplate and we need to burn a copy without delay. The risks. SCOTT There are many variables.
DAVID There are no variables. The risks are my concern. Consider this an experiment and please proceed. Time is quite short. Scott flips SEVERAL SWITCHES AND CONTROLS causing the Console lights to flicker. DAVID (CONT'D) And Mister Brenner, I would like all safeguards and limitations disabled on this first run. SCOTT That would be most unwise, sir. There would be nothing but communication chaos if this device was distributed without safeguards. Michael sees Scott's apprehension.
111. MICHAEL David, duplication is one thing but connecting it directly to the outside is an unimaginable risk. And you know it! DAVID Your participation in this has come to a conclusion, and I will not tolerate another outburst. David motions to Lab Door with his Pistol. DAVID (CONT'D) It is time to reunite you with your sister. MICHAEL No, you asshole! This isn't right! David backhands Michael across the face in anger. DAVID It was your good fortune that you were not at home when we came by. SCOTT Um--you mean you took me from the airport by Michael's shop intending to murder him? DAVID How did you think we could assure your anonymity, Mister Brenner? The stakes are high and the project must succeed. Scott is horrified. WOMAN'S VOICE (V.O.) Duplication is complete. MICHAEL This is what you bought into, Scott. You made a bargain with the devil. David raises his hand to hit Michael again. SCOTT Okay, okay! (MORE) Scott interrupts.
112. SCOTT (MORE) We, ah--need to assure quality control, of course. Test the chip. Scott removes the Chip from the DUPLICATION FIXTURE and places it into a PLASTIC CASE. MICHAEL He doesn't belong here, David. him go and I'll take over. Let
SCOTT No way, buddy, it'll be fine. As soon as you're safe I'll get the chip into production. Right Mister Liu? MICHAEL David, you have my word. know you like I do. David points his Gun at Scott. DAVID I'll take the chip, now. SCOTT It needs validation. a few moments. MICHAEL Give it to him, Scott! SCOTT I'll just reinsert it into to the fixture. MICHAEL Scott! David shoots Scott in the back. MICHAEL (CONT'D) No! Michael lunges at David. David back-hands him with his Pistol, then retrieves the Chip off the floor. DAVID Foolish child. (MORE) Takes just take He doesn't
113. DAVID (MORE) To him life was simply a game. To be spent as easily as quarters at an arcade. MICHAEL You didn't need to kill him! have done what I told him! He would
DAVID Mister Brenner's presence here served two purposes. To provide the chip which you refused to deliver to us and to convince you of the seriousness of your responsibility. MICHAEL So you hired him as a disposable resource, to be discarded when his value was spent. To whom is life a game, David? David sees Melanie struggling in her binds in the Work Area through a Window in the Laboratory. DAVID You must realize that your sister depends on what you do next. MICHAEL What does it matter? You will kill us both when you have what you want. DAVID Mister Brenner's idea about validation was a good one. Let's fire her up and see what she does, as they say. David waves his Pistol toward the Lab Door. INT. WORK AREA Michael and David exit the Lab and step down a METAL STAIRWAY LEADING TO THE WORK AREA. Michael sees Melanie suspended against the wall and tries to go to her. David points his Pistol at him.
114. DAVID Uh, uh. Not yet. As you can see she is quite safe--for the moment. A very ruffled Pao Lin, Chong-Ho and Chin Fu walk Alex and Kelly into the Work Area. James follows behind them. Michael sees James holding a Shotgun and smiles. MICHAEL A fortuitous change of events, David. James points the Shotgun at Michael. No. James. Michael frowns.
MICHAEL (CONT'D) DAVID You continue to underestimate my ability for persuasion. David points to the wall. Pao Lin and Chin Fu walk Alex and Kelly over and hold them against the wall. They pull their Garrotes up and hook them over a PEG, binding them against the wall next to Melanie. David hands Chong-Ho and Chin Fu each an Automatic Rifle. Alex and Kelly struggle to breath. David directs Michael over to a COMPLEX COMMUNICATIONS CONSOLE. He holds the Chip out to Michael. MICHAEL Consider that a four hundred-pin suppository. David motions his finger across his neck to Chong-Ho. Chong-Ho removes a LARGE KNIFE from under his shirt and holds it firmly against Melanie's neck. MICHAEL (CONT'D) Wait! DAVID Prepare the chip now. Any other action will result in your sister's death.
115. Michael takes the Chip from David and installs it into the Console Computer. DAVID (CONT'D) (to Pao Lin) Where's Annabel? Pao Lin shakes his head. David hands him an Automatic Rifle. James shrugs his Kelly and
David notices the Sphere in James' hand. shoulders and hands it to him.
David takes the Sphere and closely examines it. Alex react.
DAVID (CONT'D) (to Michael) This must be the object your grandfather spoke of. Michael focuses on the Sphere, then turns back to his work. DAVID (CONT'D) A worthless ornament to merit so much concern. David turns to Alex and Kelly. hand while looking them over. He juggles the Sphere in his
DAVID (CONT'D) So, what am I going to do with you two? David sees that Alex has almost loosened the Bindings around his wrists. DAVID (CONT'D) (to Alex) Perhaps a more elevated view would be to your liking. When David motions Chong-Ho to move Alex higher, THE BOARD THEY ARE BOUND TO MOVES UP BY ITSELF, ALMOST SUSPENDING THEM. THE SPHERE FREEZES IN MID-AIR AT THE SAME TIME. David is astonished. All look at the Sphere.
DAVID (CONT'D) What is this trickery?
116. David stares incredulously at the Sphere. over and underneath the Sphere. DAVID (CONT'D) Can it be? David points to the Sphere and it FLIES IN A PATH FOLLOWING THE MOVEMENT OF HIS FINGER. David's laugh turns sullen when the Sphere draws near him. James becomes agitated. David looks toward the Roof of the Plant. THE WOODEN SLATS AND CROSSBEAMS CRACK OPEN REVEALING A STARLIT EVENING SKY. James draws his Pistol into his free hand while holding the Shotgun in the other. David raises his arms. DAVID (CONT'D) Yes! A THICK CLOUD CONTAINING A MILLION SPARKLING LIGHTS FORMS INSIDE THE OPENING OF THE ROOF. James yells at David. JAMES Stop! James points his Pistol at Pao Lin, Chong-Ho and Chin Fu and motions for them to drop their Firearms. JAMES (CONT'D) I said stop! David turns to James. David regains his senses and the CLOUD DISAPPEARS. The Sphere drops into David's hand. DAVID Betrayal is most unbecoming, Sergeant. JAMES I'll take that. David eyes Pao Lin. Pao Lin looks down at the Automatic Rifles ready to make a move for them. He passes his hands
117. DAVID I don't think so, my old friend. Whatever this thing is must be handled in the proper way and I have an idea how to make the best use it. JAMES That's the problem. Ever since we were kids you've always had ideas. Hand it to me now! DAVID You are a member of a group that may very well be in control of more power ever before imagined. Don't be foolish. JAMES I will not listen! Give it to me now!
Pao Lin dives for the Automatic Rifle. James fires his Pistol killing Pao Lin. Chong-Ho and Chin Fu stay put. David reaches inside his Coat but James already has his Shotgun trained on him. James cycles the Shotgun and points it right at David. David reels back in fear, hands hand up in front of him. DAVID No! James pulls the Trigger. A LARGE IRIDESCENT CONCAVE OBJECT INSTANTLY APPEARS IN FRONT OF DAVID DEFLECTING THE BUCKSHOT BACK INTO JAMES' FACE, KILLING HIM. KELLY sobs. Michael watches in disbelief. Fu pick up their Weapons. Chong-Ho and Chin
David laughs. He holds the Sphere in front of him and the Cloud reappears at the opening in the Roof. DAVID (CONT'D) Never again will a man be a threat to me! Michael types on the Console Keyboard and SEVERAL VIDEO MONITORS ILLUMINATE. He attempts to distract David.
118. MICHAEL David, the chip is ready! David laughs insanely.
He looks into the cloud above him.
DAVID Fuck the chip! THE CLOUD TURNS INTO A DIZZYING ARRAY OF IMAGES DEPICTING WAR AND DEATH, FOLLOWED BY ENTIRE CITIES FALLING TO A HOLOCAUST OF NUCLEAR DETONATIONS. Michael, Melanie, Alex and Kelly watch the Cloud in horror. David stands, arms raised high, completely mad with power. DAVID (CONT'D) Unleash the fire of destruction now and make the world my slave! The Cloud and Images instantly disappear. The Sphere flies over to Michael. WOMAN'S VOICE (V.O.) No. Everyone looks around. What? WOMAN'S VOICE (V.O.) No. The Voice emanates from the CONSOLE SPEAKER. DAVID I am your master. me. You cannot refuse The Sphere hovers above the Console. DAVID
WOMAN'S VOICE (V.O.) You are cause for my existence. Correct. No. DAVID Now, proceed to... WOMAN'S VOICE (V.O.)
119. DAVID Do not disobey me. am?
Do you know who I
WOMAN'S VOICE (V.O.) You are destroyer. Black-heart. Judgment without conscience. Vicious, malevolent and immoral. Disciple of the wicked one. They must be protected. DAVID You said I was the reason for your existence. Obey me now! WOMAN'S VOICE (V.O.) The reason for your existence is the perpetuation of evil. You will deceive mankind throughout all time. David laughs. DAVID So, are you this--protector. The champion of mankind's virtue? WOMAN'S VOICE (V.O.) I am what I am called upon to be. DAVID Then, execute what you have been called upon to do and... WOMAN'S VOICE (V.O.) Michael. Michael looks at the Sphere. WOMAN'S VOICE (CONT'D) You are not responsible for what has occurred here. Do not feel remorseful or ashamed. MICHAEL Do you know me? WOMAN'S VOICE (V.O.) We know the kindness in your heart and the suffering you feel for what has transpired. You can not change the inevitable.
120. MICHAEL Who are we? WOMAN'S VOICE (V.O.) The other is a companion. It has created the ability for us to communicate. Michael looks at the Console, then back at the Sphere. MICHAEL You mean Weasel? You are communicating through a machine? The Sphere doesn't answer. MICHAEL (CONT'D) How do you know so much about me? WOMAN'S VOICE (V.O.) The other sensed your intentions and has provided a reliable opinion. MICHAEL (to himself) So, it was able to learn what was in my mind from just a few keystrokes. Michael looks up at the Sphere. MICHAEL (CONT'D) Whom or what do you belong to? did you come from? Where
WOMAN'S VOICE (V.O.) I am in the care of the custodian. came from the beginning. MICHAEL Is this custodian the one whom you belong? WOMAN'S VOICE (V.O.) I belong with the generations. Michael shakes his head.
WOMAN'S VOICE (V.O.) (CONT'D) How may I aid you, Michael?
121. Michael looks up at the Laboratory. MICHAEL Can you restore the life of my friend? WOMAN'S VOICE (V.O.) We do not have power over life or death. Michael reaches up to touch the Sphere. A LOUD GUNSHOT SOUNDS (O.S) AND THE SPHERE EXPLODES. A TRANSLUCENT SHIELD BRIEFLY APPEARS AROUND MICHAEL PROTECTING HIM FROM THE BLAST. Michael turns and sees David pointing his SMOKING PISTOL at him. MICHAEL No! DAVID It may not have the power over life and death but we do. David holds his Pistol to Melanie's head. DAVID (CONT'D) If you please. The ball, as they say, is in your court. Michael pounds the Console with his fist. Michael turns and initializes David's program. his attention to Alex and Kelly. David directs
David walks to Kelly and grabs her Garrote, making her gasp. DAVID (CONT'D) A cop, and a little man. I'm very disappointed, officer. Alex tries to talk. David backhands Alex.
DAVID (CONT'D) And, what is this. You brought a hero with you. The two of you were going to capture us? Kelly struggles to look at Melanie.
122. DAVID (CONT'D) That's right. She's still alive. And her immediate future looks much better than yours. Alex jerks around, trying to get free. David reaches up and tightens Alex's Garrote, causing him to choke. Kelly takes a breath. KELLY Alex! DAVID Officer Pierson. I am much disappointed. I expected something more like blazing guns and badges from the renowned Los Angeles police department. STOCK FOOTAGE -- THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE BANDIT (O.S.) Badges? All turn around. NEW ANGLE The BANDITS stand, looking at David. DAVID Who the hell are you? BANDIT Hola, Senior. We are the Federalies. You know, the mounted police. David laughs. DAVID You look more like cockroaches! David's Men laugh. BANDIT Why don't you try to be a little more polite!
123. DAVID Alright, Officers. Just show us your badges and we'll gladly surrender our weapons to you. BANDIT We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. (reaches for Gun) I don't have to show you no stinking badges! David fires a bullet through the Bandit's Hat. DAVID Kill them. Chong-Ho and Chin Fu pull back the bolts on their Rifles and point them at the Bandits. THE SOUND OF A HUNDRED CYCLING RIFLE ACTIONS (O.S.). NEW ANGLE THEY TURN AND SEE DIRTY HARRY, JOHN WAYNE ON HORSEBACK, THE THREE STOOGES, HERMAN AND GRANDPA MUNSTER, CAPTAIN KIRK, OMI SAN, FREDDY KRUEGER, MASTER PO, THE GORN, ODDJOB, AND A NAKED MARILYN MONROE STANDING IN A GROUP, EACH POINTING A GUN AT THEM. BRUCE LEE STANDS AT THE HEAD OF THE GROUP FACING DAVID. DAVID Very impressive illusion. Fakes. Nothing but smoke and mirrors. Chin Fu shakes his head cautiously at David. David walks over to Bruce Lee. DAVID (CONT'D) Look. STOCK FOOTAGE -- RETURN OF THE DRAGON David slaps Bruce Lee across the face twice. Bruce Lee grabs David's hand the third time he tries to slap him and holds it. David looks incredulously at him.
124. Bruce Lee kicks David in the head, sending him down hard onto the floor. David looks up at Bruce Lee with a bloodied mouth and nose, then collapses onto the floor. Chong-Ho and Chin Fu throw down their Weapons. Kelly gets loose from her bindings and releases Alex. KELLY I thought David destroyed the Sphere? ALEX I did those things! The Sphere drops to the floor in front of Alex. ALEX (CONT'D) Well, I thought of doing those things. It's back! all! KELLY It wasn't destroyed after
Alex picks it up and looks at it. ALEX I doubt it can be destroyed. NEW ANGLE A METAL CANISTER THROWN INTO THE WORK AREA FOLLOWED BY A BRIGHT FLASH OF LIGHT AND A LOUD BANG. SWAT POLICE crash through the DOORWAYS and run into the Work Area. SWAT LEADER Everyone freeze! Alex quickly pockets the Sphere. The Swat Police run in and release Melanie, then cuff David, Chong-Ho and Chin Fu. EXT. PLANT -- EVENING -- LATER Michael, Melanie and Alex stand together with Kelly sitting in a POLICE CAR.
125. SEVERAL SQUAD CARS, POLICEMEN AND A POLICE HELICOPTER BUZZ AROUND THE AREA. ALEX I'm so sorry about James. I think he realized how dangerous David had become near the end but it was all too late. KELLY I'm so disillusioned. I completely trusted him. No one was whom they seemed to be. I'm not even sure who you are, Alex. ALEX That wasn't me inside there, Kelly. That thing gave me such a sense of power I couldn't control myself. But I'm understanding a bit more I think. KELLY Yeah, I think I understand a bit more about you too, ah, Agent Kovac, is it? Alex shows his IDENTIFICATION CARD to Kelly? NEW ANGLE ALEX'S FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION IDENTIFICATION CARD. EXT. PLANT KELLY My, we've been busy. ALEX I was just suppose to keep an eye on a hush project member. Then you guys started investigating him and I had to put you under surveillance, too. KELLY I Guess we'll both have some creative writing to do in our reports later, won't we? Alex nods, smiling.
126. NEW ANGLE TWO POLICEMEN lead Chong-Ho and Chin Fu down the STAIRS of the Plant. The CORONER carries Pao Lin out on a GURNEY. TWO POLICEMEN escort David, hands bound in front of him, down the Stairs. One Policeman in front of him and One behind. David jumps up, kicks the Policemen on the shoulders in front of him, then somersaults over and kicks the Policeman behind him in the head. He grabs the unconscious Policeman's GUN and runs back into the Plant while being fired at and slams the Door. The Police throw Chong-Ho and Chin Fu in back of a POLICE CAR and speed off. INT. WORK AREA David heads for the Stairway. The Police break in and shoot at him. EXT. ABOVE LOS ANGELES A SLEEK, BLACK, TURBOPROP HELICOPTER SPEEDS THROUGH THE SKY. THE HELICOPTER CARRIES TWO FORWARD MACHINE GUNS ON ITS LANDING GEAR AND HAS NO MARKINGS. INT. PLANT David makes it to the ROOF ACCESS DOOR. EXT. PLANT A POLICE HELICOPTER AND A CHANNEL 3 NEWS HELICOPTER CIRCLE OVERHEAD. THE BLACK HELICOPTER SPEEDS TOWARD THE PLANT AND FIRES AT THE POLICE HELICOPTER, BLOWING IT UP. FLAMING PIECES OF DEBRIS RAINS DOWN FROM THE SKY. A PIECE OF METAL hits Alex in the head, knocking him down. KELLY Alex! Kelly runs to Alex. Everyone else runs for cover.
127. The Black Helicopter FIRES at the News Helicopter INT. NEWS HELICOPTER Hey! EXT. PLANT THE BLACK HELICOPTER CHASES THE NEWS HELICOPTER AND FORCES IT INTO A NEARBY OIL TANK, IGNITING A HUGE FIREBALL. The Black Helicopter circles back over the Roof. EXT. ROOF David exits the Roof Access Door and kicks it shut. the Helicopter to land. EXT. TWENTY-SEVENTH STREET Kelly holds Alex in her arms. KELLY Alex, are you alright? Alex holds his head with his hands. ALEX Yeah, I think so. I'm getting real tired of being knocked out. What happened? KELLY Our chopper was shot down! escaped! ALEX How? Where? Kelly points to the Roof. KELLY That choppers' about to rescue David! Can you do anything? ALEX I think so. Alex takes the Sphere from his pocket and looks up. And David He waves REPORTER No one assaults the press!
128. EXT. ROOF The Black Helicopter lands. David runs to the Black Helicopter. STOCK FOOTAGE -- BLUE THUNDER BLUE THUNDER RISES UP FROM THE SIDE OF THE PLANT AND HOVERS PERPENDICULARLY TO THE BLACK HELICOPTER. David freezes. EXT. TWENTY-SEVENTH STREET TWO POLICEMEN stand next to their POLICE CAR, watching the Roof with BINOCULARS. POLICEMAN #1 Where'd that come from? POLICEMAN #2 Don't know. Probably Metro. guys get all the neat stuff. EXT. ROOF David jumps into the Black Helicopter and closes the door. INT. BLACK HELICOPTER David straps himself into the SEAT. DAVID Go! The Pilot looks at Blue Thunder. P.O.V. PILOT The BLUE THUNDER PILOT motions his finger across his throat. INT. BLACK HELICOPTER DAVID (O.S.) Let's go! The Pilot hesitates, then his left hand slowly twists the THROTTLE on the COLLECTIVE CONTROL and the ENGINE WHINES. Those
129. INT. BLUE THUNDER The Pilot flips down the FIRE CONTROL BUTTON. EXT. TWENTY-SEVENTH STREET The Two Policemen watching the Roof with Binoculars. POLICEMAN #1 Better not, asshole. EXT. ROOF THE BLACK HELICOPTER SUDDENLY LIFTS OFF AND SWINGS TOWARD BLUE THUNDER, ITS MACHINE GUNS CONTINUOUSLY FIRING. INT. BLUE THUNDER The Pilot presses the Fire Control Button. EXT. ROOF 20MM ROUNDS RIP THROUGH THE FUSELAGE OF THE BLACK HELICOPTER BLOWING THE PILOT AND DAVID TO BITS. THE BLACK HELICOPTER EXPLODES. EXT. TWENTY-SEVENTH STREET Alex and Kelly watch the Explosion of the Black Helicopter. Alex places the Sphere into his Pocket. EXT. ROOF BLUE THUNDER DISAPPEARS WITHIN THE FIREBALL. EXT. TWENTY-SEVENTH STREET Shit! EXT. PLANT DEBRIS FROM THE BLACK HELICOPTER RAINS DOWN ON THE STREET. EXT. TWENTY-SEVENTH STREET Policeman #1 stands shaking his head. POLICEMAN #1 They both went up!
130. POLICEMAN #1 Better notify Metro they just lost an aircraft. Policeman #2 sticks his head out from the Driver's side of the Police Car. POLICEMAN #2 I just talked to Metro. They said they don't have an armed chopper. Policeman #1 looks down the Street. POLICEMAN #1 Where the hell did that come from, then? INT. HERB SHOP LIVING ROOM -- DAY Yu-Lin and George sit at the Dinner Table reading a CHINESE NEWSPAPER. Both wear SLINGS around their right arm. Alice and Melanie cook dinner in the Kitchen. GEORGE I wish I knew what to say to Michael. He feels pretty bad. YU-LIN He should, George. But sons have a way of finding the appropriate expression of forgiveness on their own. I recall when you... GEORGE Forget it, dad. Yu-Lin smiles. the Shop. He sees Michael through the Doorway entering
YU-LIN But now it's time to attend to the prodigal son. George and Yu-Lin stand. Michael approaches them heart filled with emotion and bows. Yu-Lin and George return his bow. Alice and Melanie watch.
131. MICHAEL I'm so sorry, father, for the suffering I caused. I endangered my family. I am not worthy of your respect. GEORGE You are my son. There is nothing that can happen which will ever change our love for you. YU-LIN The old ways, Michael, reminds us that fate is inevitable and cannot be changed. Our bonds with the past fortifies the way we live in the present. When you decided to change your path you felt this union, this sense of right from wrong. You followed your heart and it was proper. MICHAEL Grandfather... YU-LIN There are wonderful things waiting for you to discover. Some of them will be revealed to you by your father as my father revealed to me. (to George) And when your father opens his heart, he too will experience one of the true wonders of life and in turn pass that knowledge on to you. George looks puzzled at his father. with his elbow. George holds the Chip out to Michael. Michael gasps. He takes the Chip into his hands and bows. Yu-Lin bumps his side
GEORGE Your next challenge, my son, is contained within your hands. INT. CHURCH REAR SHOT OF A GROOM, AND HIS RED-HAIRED BRIDE, WALKING DOWN THE AISLE TOWARD THE ALTER.
132. EXT. CHURCH -- LATER The Groom and Bride exit the Church. The CROWD THROWS RICE and congratulates the newly Married Couple. Alex shakes his Brother's hand and kisses the Bride when they enter the Limousine. The Bride and Groom wave and speed away. Alex sees KELLY IN STREET CLOTHES waiting for him on the Sidewalk and goes to her. KELLY Your brother's wife looked so beautiful. Do red heads run in your family? ALEX Only 'til we catch 'em! Kelly smiles. ALEX (CONT'D) I think I might need your help, Kel. Have you figured out what you're going to write in your report? Kelly laughs. KELLY Where would I begin? NEW ANGLE Yu-Lin slowly walks up to Kelly and Alex. Sam, and a Sling around his right arm. Kelly and Alex see Yu-Lin and stop. He silently removes a Black-Lacquered Box from inside his Cheung Sam. He opens the Box and holds it out to Alex. Alex looks at the Box and the Fitted Interior then frowns. He removes the Sphere from his coat pocket. The Sphere slowly rises out of his hand, hovers toward Yu-Lin and gently sets down inside of the Box. YU-LIN Nicely done. You've learned well--the secrets of the orb. He wears a Cheung
133. ALEX Where did it come from.
How can it...
YU-LIN That knowledge has been lost for millennia. It is thought that the orb goes as far back as Pan Gu--believed to be the creator of the universe. ALEX Yeah, well, I think it's from another planet. An alien artifact left here by ancient astronauts as part of some kind of experiment on humanity... NEW ANGLE A GIANT ALIEN MOTHER SHIP SLOWLY MOVES INTO THE SKYLINE BEHIND YU-LIN, CASTING A SHADOW OVER THE ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOOD. AUTOMOBILES SKID OUT OF CONTROL. PEDESTRIANS SCREAM AND RUN IN PANIC FROM THE SIGHT OF THE SPACECRAFT. ALEX ...then, they return centuries later and perform weird experiments on kidnapped... Yu-Lin casually glances behind his back. YU-LIN Stop that! Yu-Lin snaps the Box shut. Alex shrugs his shoulders. The Spaceship DISAPPEARS. Kelly shakes her head.
YU-LIN (CONT'D) Alex, no occidental has ever known the existence of the orb... (to Kelly) ...both of your lives have been enriched by the knowledge that there are many wondrous things yet to be discovered in this world. You should cherish these experiences of life together. Yu-Lin bows, then turns and silently walks away.
134. ALEX You know, I'm really going to miss them. KELLY Miss whom? NEW ANGLE Yu-Lin opens the Box while he walks. EXT. SIDEWALK STOCK FOOTAGE -- THE THREE STOOGES -- EPISODE "MEN OR MICE" THE HEADS OF LARRY, MOE, AND CURLY APPEAR OUT FROM BEHIND A BRICK WALL LOCATED NEAR THE SIDEWALK. The Stooges stand together and wave goodbye to Alex. Alex and Kelly smile and wave back. Moe pulls Curly and Larry by the ear and walks away. Yu-Lin closes the Box and places it back into his Cheung Sam. THE STOOGES DISAPPEAR LEAVING ONLY THEIR FOOTPRINTS ON THE MOIST GRASS. NEW ANGLE Kelly wraps her arm around Alex while they walk. KELLY So, how about some lunch, Agent Kovac? ALEX Got any place in mind, Officer? KELLY There's nothing like home cook'in. ALEX Oh, oh! That's how my brother ended up like he did. KELLY Well, you never know.
135. INT. EXECUTIVE OFFICE -- DAY Michael, dressed in a SUIT, glares out the Window while chewing on a fingernail. A SECRETARY sits at a LARGE DESK, typing on a TERMINAL. A PHONE RINGS (O.S.). Yes, Sir. She hangs up the Phone. SECRETARY (CONT'D) They'll see you now, Mister Chen. Michael removes the Plastic Case from his coat pocket and walks through the DOUBLE DOORS of the Conference Room. INT. EXECUTIVE CONFERENCE ROOM Michael enters, sheepishly holding the Chip out in front of him. FIFTEEN EXECUTIVES RISE FROM THEIR CHAIRS IN FRONT OF A HUGE CONFERENCE TABLE. Michael looks over at the last TWO EXECUTIVES who slowly rise up from their Chair. It's Yu-Lin, dressed in a THREE-PIECE SUIT, along with his Father, George. They both have SLINGS on their right arm. Father? MICHAEL Grandfather? The Secretary answers the Phone. SECRETARY
Yu-Lin and George bow. WOMAN'S VOICE (V.O.) Welcome, Michael. Michael looks in the direction of the voice and spots the Sphere hovering over a COMPUTER TERMINAL in the corner of the Conference Room. WOMAN'S VOICE (V.O.) (CONT'D) It is most pleasing to have you here with us.
136. Michael looks at his Father, Grandfather, then back at the Sphere and sobs. MICHAEL Generations! You said you belonged with the generations! INT. EXECUTIVE OFFICE The Secretary closes the Double Doors behind her, blocking the view of the Conference Room. ROLL CREDITS
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue reading from where you left off, or restart the preview.