UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF THE CARIBBEAN
Incorporating Institute Of Management Sciences & Institute Of Management & Production A Member of the Commonwealth & OAS Consortia of Universities
ASSOCIATE OF SCIENCE DEGREE IN MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEMS END OF MODULE EXAMINATION
CENTRE MODULE DATE TIME : OXFORD TERRACE CAMPUS : PROGRAMMING TECHNIQUES [ITT103] : APRIL 26, 2011 : 6:00 PM
DURATION : 3 HOURS
1. Please read all instructions carefully before attempting any question. 2. This paper consists of five (5) printed pages and two (2) sections [A&B] 3. Section A – Problem Solving has six (6) compulsory questions = 30 marks. 4. Section B – Programming has two (2) flowchart and two (2) pseudo code questions for you to choose one (1) of each. (10 marks each).
• • • • • ALL QUESTIONS MUST BE ANSWERED IN THE ANSWER BOOKLET PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU NUMBER YOUR QUESTIONS CORRECTLY. CLEARLY WRITE THE NUMBER OF THE QUESTION ON EACH OF THE RELEVANT PAGES. WHERE QUESTIONS HAVE MULTIPLE PARTS, ALL PARTS MUST BE ANSWERED. START THE RESPONSE TO EACH QUESTION ON A NEW PAGE.
Write your REGISTRATION NUMBER clearly on each page of your answer booklet. DO NOT WRITE YOUR NAME. NB. Your script will not be marked if it has your name.
DO NOT TURN OVER UNTIL YOU ARE TOLD TO DO SO
Page 1 of 5
Section A – Problem Solving Short Answers This section contains six (6) questions, worth thirty (30) marks. Answer all questions. Do not write an entire program. 1. Draw flowchart for the following problem:
ABC Company needs a weekly payroll report for its sales people. Input to the program is the weekly sales of the sales person. Each salesperson receives a base pay of 800 as well as a 10 percent commission on his or her total sales up to and including $1000.00. Any sales over $1000.00 merit a 20 percent commission for the employee. Compute the weekly payroll for one employee. 
2. Write a For loop which sums all the positive integers from 10 to 30 exclusive.
3. Salary is a one dimensional array as shown below:25000 16000 8000 25000 36000 17000
a. Write pseudocode to find and print the number of employees whose salary is more than 30000? 
b. Write pseudocode that will find and print the income tax of all employees (Each employee pays 15% of their salary as income tax) 
4. Draw flowchart that reads the scores of 6 subjects of a student. For each score read, display whether the student has passed or failed. (The pass value is 50 or more). Also find and display the total number of courses in which the student has passed. 
5. Write a function definition that finds the smallest of three numbers (passed to it). Return the smallest number. 
Page 2 of 5
6. Identify and explain any (4) errors in the following pseudocode based on the question given below: 
START Define name as String Define Number as Integer Define pay as Real Print “Enter employee name” Read name Print “Enter employee number” Read number Print “Enter Gross Pay” Read Pay If (Pay >= $50000) Print “The name of the employee is “, name Print “The employee number is “, num Print “Overpaid” Else Print “The name of the employee is “, name Read “Underpaid” Print “The difference in the pay is “, STOP dollars by which he is underpaid. more than $50000. Otherwise, output the name and the message “Underpaid” and the amount of name, IDNumber and Grosspay. Output the name, number and a message ‘Overpaid’ if he is paid QUESTION Assume the input for an employee is
Page 3 of 5
Section B – This section contains two (2) Flowchart questions and two (2) Pseudocode questions worth 10 marks each. Answer two questions – one Flowchart and one Pseudocode. 1. Flowchart – Answer any one (1) of the following.
A. Draw a flowchart to solve the following problem:
Students at the Technology School apply to work as lab assistants every semester. However all of them are not successful. Students who are pursuing training in the field of Information Technology are only eligible. The students must have a minimum of two years of experience to be eligible. For the application to be accepted, students must have a minimum grade of A+. Write a program to process the application of students applied .After processing the application for the first student, ask the user if he wants to process another application. Based on the response, either continue processing or terminate the program. For each application processed, indicate whether the application is accepted or rejected.  OR B. Draw a flowchart to solve the following problem:  Draw flowchart to process the details of 25 employees. Each employee contains Employee Number, Job Category, Basic Pay, NHT, Income Tax and Net Pay. • Calculate NHT (Employees whose Employee number is less than 100, pay 5% of their basic pay as NHT. The remaining employees pay 8% of basic pay as NHT). • Calculate Income Tax based on the value of Job category.
JOBCATEGORY SUPERVISOR OPERATOR DIRECTOR OTHERS
INCOMETAX 12 % OF BASIC PAY 3.5 % OF BASIC PAY 16% OF BASIC PAY 11.5% OF BASIC PAY
Calculate Net Pay Output Employee number and Net pay for each employee.
Also output the total salary paid for ALL directors
Page 4 of 5
2. Pseudocode - Answer any one (1) of the following. A. Write Pseudocode to solve the following problem:
Your DVD Club offers discount on disc rentals according to customer’s type of club membership. If customer’s club is the “Gold” group, apply 20 % Discount. On the other hand, the “Silver” group member’s gets 15% discount while “Platinum” group members receive 25% discount. If you are older than 55 years old, you receive an additional discount of 3% irrespective of whether or not you are a group member. If you are not a member of a group and not older than 55 years, you receive no discount. Using the most appropriate Control structure, create an algorithm, using pseudocode, that calculates and displays the Payment Due for a rental after reading the buyer’s group code, age and the price of the DVD rented. 
OR B. Write Pseudocode to solve the following problem: Prepare automobile liability insurance estimates for 25 customers. The input consists of the name of the customer, the age of the customer and risk code. A code of 1 indicates a high – risk driver with recent moving violations. A code of 2 indicates a low-risk driver with no recent moving violations. If the code is neither 1 nor 2, display an appropriate message. The output must consist of name, risk code , a message identifying the customer as a high insurance risk or a low insurance risk and the cost of the insurance coverage. • If the customer is less than 25 years of age and has a risk code of 1, the cost of insurance is $280.00. • If the customer is 25 years of age or more and has a risk code of 1 , the cost of the insurance is $250.00. • • If the customer is 25 years of age or more and a risk code of 2 , the cost of insurance is $200.00. If the customer is less than 25 years of age and a risk code of 2, the cost of insurance is $225.00.
Also find and output the total number of high risk customers. END OF QUESTION PAPER
Page 5 of 5