You are on page 1of 4

MONTEREY PENINSULA REGIONAL WATER AUTHORITY (MPRWA) REGULAR MEETING MINUTES Thursday, May 10, 2012

1. CALL TO ORDER The MPRWA regular meeting of Thursday, May 10, 2012 was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by President Chuck Della Sala. 2. ROLL CALL AND INTRODUCTIONS Roll call was taken and a quorum established with the following members in attendance: 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. Dennis Allion, Alternate for Mayor Edelen Felix Bachofner, Seaside – Vice-President Jason Burnett, Carmel Chuck Della Sala, Monterey – President Carmelita Garcia, Pacific Grove David Pendergrass, Sand City

3. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE Director Pendergrass led the attendees in the Pledge of Allegiance. Alternate Allion arrived at the meeting during the Pledge of Allegiance. 4. REPORTS FROM MEMBERS OF THE AUTHORITY AND STAFF a. Update on Errors & Omissions Insurance (Action) Mr. Dunn introduced Ms. Hodgson to present an update regarding Errors and Omissions Insurance. President Della Sala opened public comment. Mr. Nelson Vega expressed concerns about additional funds from the member cities and stated that Seaside is experiencing financial constraints while the other cities are not. President Della Sala closed public comment. M/S/C (BURNETT/BACHOFNER) to authorize the President to approve the lowest cost proposal for Errors and Omissions Insurance. The motion carried unanimously. 5. RECEIVE REPORT FROM THE TECHNICAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE AND PROVIDE DIRECTION, AS NEEDED Mr. Dolan reported that CalAm presented their program at the last TAC meeting. The questionnaire was finalized and distributed to CalAm, Deep Water Desal and the People’s Desal Project. Responses are due on May 17, which will be reviewed at the May 21 regular meeting and at a special meeting on May 23. He also reported on discussion regarding replenishment of the Seaside Basin. He
Monterey Peninsula Regional Water Authority Regular Meeting Minutes

May 10, 2012 - Page 1 of 3

recommended that members of the Business Coalition be assigned according to their technical background and expertise. He expressed appreciation for moving forward with Errors and Omissions Insurance. Vice-President Bachofner expressed concerns about recent communication with the media by a member of TAC. He suggested implementing policy for both the JPA and TAC regarding media contact. Extensive discussion took place regarding communication with the media. President Della Sala opened public comment. A member of the public addressed the memo by Bill Hood to the JPA. He requested the Authority and the TAC to weigh in on the validity of CalAm’s proposal. Mr. Vega commented on CalAm’s presentation to TAC. He stated that policy should be directed by the Authority and not the TAC. Ms. Libby Downey recommended that the Authority give freedom to the TAC to work issues out. A member of the public brought up the issue of Business Coalition members. President Della Sala closed public comment. 6. PUBLIC COMMENT FOR ITEMS NOT ON THE AGENDA Mr. Bill Hood reported on CalAm’s competing proposals, which will be considered by the CPUC on May 24. Mr. Dale Harkins spoke about public ownership regulations. Mr. Nader Agha stated that the People’s Moss Landing Desal Project is the best option for the Monterey Peninsula. Mr. Ron Whitezman expressed concerns that People’s Moss Landing Desal project is not being considered in the same manner as that of CalAm’s. Mr. Nelson Vega spoke about financing for water projects. 7. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – APRIL 23, 2012 MEETING (ACTION) M/S/C (BACHOFNER/BURNETT) to approve the April 23, 2012, regular meeting minutes. The motion carried with five affirmative votes and one abstention (ALLION).

Monterey Peninsula Regional Water Authority Regular Meeting Minutes

May 10, 2012 - Page 1 of 3

8. NEW BUSINESS a. Intervener Letter: (Status Report) Monterey City Attorney, Christine Davi presented the Motion to Intervene of the Monterey Peninsula Regional Water Authority to be filed on May 11. b. JPA Support of Ground Water Replacement (GWR) and Aquifer Storage Recovery (ASR) (Discussion Only) Extensive discussion took place regarding GWR and ASR. President Della Sala opened public comment. A member of TAC provided information regarding GWR. Mr. Whitezman stated that the cost factors of GWR need to be thoroughly explored. Mr. Riley spoke on GWR and ASR Mr. Vega expressed concerns about future water costs. Mr. Harkins expressed support for GWR and ASR and suggested the Authority do the same. Mr. Agha spoke about a system he developed to capture water. He also spoke about project financing. President Della Sala closed public comment. Director Garcia reminded the Authority that they do not duplicate work being performed by other agencies. 9. ITEMS FOR FUTURE AGENDAS (INFORMATION) Detailed presentation by TAC Financing expertise on desal component Weighted membership fees Different formula weighted vote Proponent project presentations to individual jurisdictions Media policy

10. DETERMINE TIME AND PLACE OF NEXT MEETING May 31, 2012, at 6 p.m., Sand City Council Chambers.

Monterey Peninsula Regional Water Authority Regular Meeting Minutes

May 10, 2012 - Page 1 of 3

11. ADJOURNMENT The meeting was adjourned at 8:55 p.m.

_____________________________________ Carmelita Garcia, Secretary

Monterey Peninsula Regional Water Authority Regular Meeting Minutes

May 10, 2012 - Page 1 of 3

Related Interests