You are on page 1of 5

Analogies

Complete each analogy by writing the best word in the blank.

1. Find is to lose as construct is to _______________. build demolish misplace materials

2. Find is to locate as feign is to _______________. pane pretend line mean

3. Find is to kind as feign is to _______________. pane pretend line mean

4. Pane is to pain as weigh is to _______________. scale pounds weight way

5. Bring is to brought as sing is to _______________. sang melody song record

6. Dime is to tenth as quarter is to _______________. twenty-five fourth home coin

7. Star is to rats as pals is to _______________. friends enemies pal slap

8. Express is to say as believe is to _______________. think ask wonder deny

9. Acrophobia is to height as hydrophobia is to _______________. rabies fear water sunlight

10. Perish is to survive as retreat is to _______________. advance withdraw live vanish

11. Remove is to removal as adopt is to _______________. adapt adoption parent orphan

12. Intelligence is to intelligent as money is to _______________. cash wealthy save invest

13. Paced is to paste as bowled is to _______________. bowling pins ball bold

14. Act is to actor as steal is to _______________. steel rob dishonest thief

15. Concede is to concession as announce is to _______________. state secret speaker announcement

16. Merciful is to merciless as patient is to _______________. hospital medicine impatient angry

17. Pale is to pail as so is to _______________. go see sew thus

18. Grape is to raisin as plum is to _______________. straight dried fruit prune

19. Annoyed is to furious as pleased is to _______________.

satisfied

helped

delighted

angry

20. It is to its as paper is to _______________.

papers

paper's

papers'

write

___________________________________
By Dana Gioia

Now you hear what the house has to say. Pipes clanking, water running in the dark, the mortgaged walls shifting in discomfort, and voices mounting in an endless drone of small complaints like the sounds of a family that year by year youve learned how to ignore. But now you must listen to the things you own, all that youve worked for these past years, the murmur of property, of things in disrepair, the moving parts about to come undone, and twisting in the sheets remember all the faces you could not bring yourself to love. How many voices have escaped you until now, the venting furnace, the floorboards underfoot, the steady accusations of the clock numbering the minutes no one will mark. The terrible clarity this moment brings, the useless insight, the unbroken dark.

First alternative school to open in Seoul for ethnic minority students


2011-11-15 19:40

Text

South Koreas first alternative elementary school for children from multicultural families will open in Seoul next year with flexible programs centered on cultural and language courses, the local education office said Tuesday. The Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education said it has approved the license for the School of Global Sarang, founded by Rev. Kim Hae-sung, who has worked with migrant workers in South Korea over the last two decades. Sarang means love in Korean. The school, set to open in March, plans to accept 15 students in each of its six grades. About 80 percent of the students will be children from multicultural families, with Korean students making up the other 20 percent. Classes will be offered in three different languages Korean, English and Chinese and tuition will be free, regardless of students nationality. The school plans to begin accepting applications from next month, officials said. I will do my best to operate the school in a socially responsible way to make it a model advanced alternative school for children from multicultural families, Kim said. Education officials hope the alternative school helps educate multicultural students, who tend to drop out of school due to the language barrier or financial difficulties. As Korea has experienced a large influx of foreign residents in recent years, the number of multicultural students in kindergarten and formal education institutions in Seoul increased to 6,837 this year, up 39.9 percent from last year, according to the education board.
(Yonhap News)