This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
SNS COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY
COIMBATORE – 35 DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SIENCE AND ENGINEERING (UG & PG) Final Year Computer Science and Engineering, 8th Semester 2 Marks Question and Answer Subject Code & Name: Cloud Computing Prepared by: Prof.M.Sadish Sendil, P/CSE; Mrs.S.Ananthi, AP/CSE UNIT I 1. Define Cloud Computing with example.
Cloud computing is a model for enabling convenient, on-demand network access to a shared pool of configurable computing resources (e.g., networks, servers, storage, applications, and services) that can be rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort or service provider interaction. For example, Google hosts a cloud that consists of both smallish PCs and larger servers. Google’s cloud is a private one (that is, Google owns it) that is publicly accessible (by Google’s users).
2. What are the properties of Cloud Computing? There are six key properties of cloud computing: Cloud computing is • user-centric • task-centric • powerful • accessible • intelligent • programmable 3. What is the working principle of Cloud Computing? The cloud is a collection of computers and servers that are publicly accessible via the Internet. This hardware is typically owned and operated by a third party on a consolidated basis in one or more data center locations. The machines can run any combination of operating systems. SNSCT – Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG&PG) Page 1
4. Draw the architecture of Cloud
5. Define Cloud services with example. Any web-based application or service offered via cloud computing is called a cloud service. Cloud services can include anything from calendar and contact applications to word processing and presentations. 6. What are the advantages of cloud services? • • • • If the user’s PC crashes host application and document both remain unaffected in the cloud. An individual user can access applications and documents from any location on any PC. Because documents are hosted in the cloud, multiple users can collaborate on the same document in real time, using any available Internet connection. Documents are not machine-centric
7. Why is Cloud Computing important? There are many implications of cloud technology, for both developers and end users. For developers, cloud computing provides increased amounts of storage and processing power to run the applications they develop. Cloud computing also enables new ways to access information, process and analyze data, and connect people and resources from any location anywhere in the world. SNSCT – Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG&PG) Page 2
applications. And cloud computing does all this at lower costs. 8. documents hosted in the cloud always exist. and projects. because the cloud enables more efficient sharing of resources than does traditional network computing. in real time. Who get benefits from Cloud Computing? • • • • • Collaborators Road Warriors Cost-Conscious Users Cost-Conscious IT Departments Users with Increasing Needs Page 3 SNSCT – Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG&PG) . You’re Screwed 9. no matter what happens to the user’s machine. What are the advantages and disadvantages of Cloud Computing? Advantages • Lower-Cost Computers for Users • Improved Performance • Lower IT Infrastructure Costs • Fewer Maintenance Issues • Lower Software Costs • Instant Software Updates • Increased Computing Power • Unlimited Storage Capacity • Increased Data Safety • Improved Compatibility Between Operating Systems • Improved Document Format Compatibility • Easier Group Collaboration • Universal Access to Documents • Latest Version Availability • Removes the Tether to Specific Devices Disadvantages • Requires a Constant Internet Connection • Doesn’t Work Well with Low-Speed Connections • Can Be Slow • Features Might Be Limited • Stored Data Might Not Be Secure • If the Cloud Loses Your Data. Users from around the world can collaborate on the same documents.CLOUD COMPUTING For users.
and more reliable applications • Utilization of the full resources • Less up-front investment • Rapid provisioning • Automatic scaling Disadvantages • Security • Need Redundancy Tool • No physical backup 12. Who shouldn’t be using Cloud Computing? • The Internet-Impaired • Offline Workers • The Security Conscious • Anyone Married to Existing Applications 11.CLOUD COMPUTING 10. Advantages • Economy of scale • Offer better. cheaper. List the advantages and disadvantages of cloud service deployment.com SNSCT – Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG&PG) Page 4 . List the companies who offer cloud service development? • Amazon • Google App Engine • IBM • Salesforce. What are the types of Cloud service development? • Software as a Service • Platform as a Service • Web Services • On-Demand Computing 13.
Most typically. Define the term web service with example. What are the features of robust Cloud development? Who it offers? • Dynamic web serving • Full support for all common web technologies • Persistent storage with queries. a web service is an API that can be accessed over the Internet. the data that feeds the map is provided by the developer. where the engine that creates the map itself is provided by Google. 17.CLOUD COMPUTING 14. and transactions • Automatic scaling and load balancing • APIs for authenticating users and sending email using Google Accounts 15. • 3tera • 10gen • Cohesive Flexible Technologies • Joyent • Mosso • Nirvanix • Skytap • StrikeIron 16. sorting. What are the issues in web based applications? • Technical issues • Business model issues • Internet issues • Security issues • Compatibility issues • Social issues SNSCT – Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG&PG) Page 5 . With these custom apps. A good example of web services are the “mashups” created by users of the Google Maps API. over the Internet. The service is then executed on a remote system that hosts the requested services. Mention the other Cloud service development tools. A web service is an application that operates over a network—typically.
4. 2.CLOUD COMPUTING Part – B 1. SNSCT – Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG&PG) Page 6 . Discuss about the Pros and Cons of Cloud Computing. How to discover cloud service development services and tools? Explain it with example. Explain the architecture of Cloud computing in detail. Explain the Cloud service development. 5. Explain the types of Cloud service development in detail. 3.
and then anyone in user’s area can find out what’s happening in the coming days and weeks. 4. Give the various schedules in Collaborating on schedule. Web-based calendars can be used to post dates and schedules for specific public events. Zvents (zvents.CLOUD COMPUTING UNIT-II 1. What is precloud computing? Precloud computing is an email access was via a single computer. which also stores all email messages. or for all events in a given community. such as school plays. web-based file sharing. How to manage the web based projects? Many project management applications include additional functions useful in the management of group projects. Example: Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express 3. • • • • • Bla-Bla List Remember the Milk Ta-da List Tudu List Voo2Do SNSCT – Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG&PG) Page 7 . For example. message boards. Give some online to-do list application. 6. These features may include group to-do lists. What are the typical communication used in cloud computing? • Web email services • Instant messaging services • Web conferencing tools 2. • • • • Sports Team Schedules School Schedules Community Group Schedules Event Schedules and Management 5. Upload user event schedule into the Zvents database.com) is a web search engine for local events. time and cost tracking. How cloud can be used in Event Schedules and Management with an example.
com) or Zoho Writer (writer. payment. List the enterprise-level web-based expense reporting Applications. With web-based event management applications. Instead of emailing Microsoft Word documents across the company. opt instead for a web-based word processing program. What is difference between collaboration on task and event management? Web-based task management application let the user manage the multiple pieces and parts of large projects. all the other staffers immediately see the update. With one of these applications. virtual communities sprung up on online bulletin board systems (BBSs) that were accessible via dial-up connections.CLOUD COMPUTING 7. What is online collaboration in Collaborating on report? Online collaboration is one of the chief benefits of cloud computing. What is virtual community. 8. online. MySpace. and other important tasks 9. and other social networking sites 11. Pre-Internet. from anywhere in the world. such as Google Docs (docs. as well as handle registration. online and in real time. List the task management applications in cloud. the cloud hosts everything the user need to schedule and market events.com).zoho. The biggest home of virtual communities today are Facebook. everyone contributing to the report can access the same master document. • • • • HiTask Zoho Planner Basecamp Goplan 10. A virtual community is an assemblage of like-minded individuals. When someone from one department adds his section to the document. Some of the most popular enterprise-level web-based expense reporting applications are Concur ExpensAble ExpensePoint TimeConsultant • • • • SNSCT – Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG&PG) Page 8 .google.
a web-based application can be used to create a single budget document for all departments on the web. such as Host Budget 13. What are the collaboration schedules in communicating across the community? Explain Collaborating on Group Projects and Events. The rolled-up budget is then created in real-time.com) or with a dedicated enterprise-level budgeting application. • message boards. What are the features of project management applications? • group to-do lists. 2. • web-based file sharing. Explain the activities on cloud computing for the corporation? Explain the mapping schedules managing projects. List the web-based presentation programs. those changes are immediately reflected in the sections or pages for each individual department. SNSCT – Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG&PG) Page 9 . 3. When the big bosses need to slash certain expenditures. This type of online budgeting can be accomplished with a simple web-based spreadsheet. 5. • • • • AceProject Basecamp onProject Project Insight PART B 1. Explain in detail about Centralizing email communication. Each department head enters his own budget data. • Google Presentations • Preezo • Zoho Show 14. • time and cost tracking 15. List the web-based project management applications.google. 4.CLOUD COMPUTING 12. such as Google Spreadsheets (spreadsheets. How the online budgeting application can be accomplished? Instead of working on separate spreadsheets that are later consolidated.
6. and community schedules 2. This reflects Yahoo! Calendar’s offering of tasks in addition to events. Define Google calendar. as well as schedule facilities. Supervisor calendar provides reports to managers about business activities and schedules. What makes it more unique and potentially more useful is that it can also be accessed from Apple’s iPhone. and so on. which others can access via the web Friends’ calendars. notification of new and updated events. which is imported from Google Calendar web pages Holiday calendars. and the like. which makes it ideal for tracking business group. The user can still add individual items to daily schedule. family. Define Apple MobileMe Calendar The MobileMe Calendar is a web-based calendar that can be accessed from any computer connected to the Internet. keep track of meetings with others. like default calendar Public calendars.huntcal. which makes it a truly mobile calendar. full featured. Google Calendar is free.CLOUD COMPUTING UNIT III 1. What are the types of calendars in a single interface? • • • Member Event calendar helps users manage their personal time. 5. What types of calendars can you create with Google Calendar? • • • • Personal calendars. Team Event calendar is used to schedule activities for a group. Mac or Windows. One subtle difference in Yahoo! Calendar is the presence of an Add Task button. and easy to use. Define Yahoo calendar. SNSCT – Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG&PG) Page 10 . but can also add longer-term tasks and have due dates show up on calendar 4. notification of event conflicts. It lets the user create both personal and shared calendars. What is Hunt calendar? Hunt Calendars (www. which add national holidays to a basic calendar 3.com) offers event-based web calendars. Useful features include email reminders.
CLOUD COMPUTING 7. 8. which also helps to promote event. 123 Signup company offers four different applications: Event Manager Association Manager Training Manager Member Directory • • • • 9. including the following: Event Registration Email Marketing Secure Online Payment Processing Housing and Travel Management Contact Management Budget Management Custom Event Websites Event Workflow Management Event Calendar On-Site Functionality Event Reporting • • • • • • • • • • • SNSCT – Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG&PG) Page 11 . What are the modules in the Conference. Other applications help to create own event website (on cloud computers). Define Event Marketing. What are the tools provided by Cvent’s Event Management system? Cvent’s Event Management system is a suite of interrelated tools. • Export Manager • Hotel Manager • Lead Track Manager • Profile Manager • Registration Manager • Survey Manager • Travel Manager 10. List the applications that are offered by 123 Signup.com? • Appointment Manager • Credit Card Manager • Email Manager. Web-based email marketing enable the user to promote event via targeted email messages.
com) Peepel Online Office (www. Who should use a Web-Based Word Processor? • • • • • Beginning users Casual users Anyone who wants access to their documents from multiple locations Anyone who needs to share their documents with others Anyone who needs to edit their documents in a collaborative environment 13.weboffice.com) Google Docs (docs.google.zoho. How Web-Based Word Processing Works? Web-based word processors are hosted in the cloud.com) SNSCT – Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG&PG) Page 12 .peepel. What are the most popular web-based office suites applications? • • • • • • Glide Business (www. • Google Docs • Adobe Buzzword • ajaxWrite • Docly • Glide Write • iNetWord • KBdocs • Peepel WebWriter • ThinkFree Write • WriteBoard • Zoho Writer 15. Who shouldn’t use one of these applications? • • • • Power users Anyone who wants to create sophisticated printouts Anyone working on sensitive documents Anyone who needs to work when not connected to the Internet 14. And these web-based applications mimic the key features of Microsoft Word. 12.glidedigital.CLOUD COMPUTING 11.com) ThinkFree My Office (www.thinkfree.com) Zoho Office (office. List the web-based word processing applications. not on the hard drive—as are the documents created with these applications.com) WebEx Web Office (www.
• In addition. SNSCT – Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG&PG) Page 13 . How Online Databases Work? An online or web-based database stores data on a cloud of servers somewhere on the Internet.CLOUD COMPUTING 16. • The user can share spreadsheets with others—enabling workgroup collaboration with users in other locations. The primary advantage of a web-based database is that data can easily be shared with a large number of other users. Who shouldn’t use a Web-Based spreadsheet? • • • • Power users Anyone who wants to create sophisticated printouts Anyone working on sensitive documents Anyone who needs to work when not connected to the Internet web-based word processing applications 19. List the web-based spreadsheet applications • • • • • • • • • Google Spreadsheets EditGrid eXpresso Glide Crunch Num Sum Peepel WebSheet Sheetster ThinkFree Calc Zoho Sheet 20. not just the computer originally created the spreadsheet with. • Spreadsheets are still accessible even in the case of computer problem or hard disk crash. which is accessible by any authorized user with an Internet connection. What are the Benefits of Web-Based Spreadsheets? • The spreadsheets can be accessed from any Internet-connected computer. most web-based spreadsheets today are free 17. Who should use a Web-Based spreadsheet? • • • • • Beginning users Casual users Anyone who wants access to their documents from multiple locations Anyone who needs to share their documents with others Anyone who needs to edit their documents in a collaborative environment 18. no matter where they may be located.
Explain collaborating on event management and collaborating on contact management. Explain in detail about collaborating on word processing. Schedules and task management. 4.CLOUD COMPUTING • • • • • PreZentit SlideRocket ThinkFree Show Thumbstacks Zoho Show PART B 1. 2. 3. spreadsheets and databases. SNSCT – Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG&PG) Page 15 . Discuss about Collaborating on calendars. How to explore on line scheduling and planning. Explain with example.
2. weather forecasts Notification of any waiting Yahoo! Mail SNSCT – Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG&PG) Page 16 . video chat.aim. List the popular Web Mail Services. It’s just like a cloud service. also known as AIM.CLOUD COMPUTING UNIT IV 1. news headlines. and even a mobile client and can also enhance the basic AIM experience with a variety of official and user-created plug-ins. sports scores. ability to text message to and from mobile phones. 4. and all messages are stored on the web. AIM supports all manner of special features in addition to basic text messaging. Provides up-to-the minute stock prices. voice chat. • • • • Gmail Yahoo! Mail Windows Live Hotmail Apple MobileMe Mail 2. What is AIM? The most-used instant messaging program is AOL Instant Messenger (www. RSS feeds. web mail can be accessed from any PC using any web browser. The users get file sharing. What are the features of Yahoo! Messenger? • • • • • • • Voice and video messaging PC-to-phone and PC-to-PC calling Voicemail File sharing Chat rooms.com). group chats. Unlike traditional POP email. What is Web Mail Services? Web-based email services are also known as web mail or HTTP email. no special software required. not locally. List the Instant Messaging Services. • • • • AOL Instant Messenger and ICQ Google Talk Windows Live Messenger Yahoo! Messenger 3.
Define Glance.glance.CLOUD COMPUTING 5. with no client software necessary to install. • • • • • • • • • • • Adobe Acrobat Connect Convenos Meeting Center Genesys Meeting Center Glance IBM Lotus Sametime Microsoft Office Live Meeting Persony Web Conferencing Pixion PictureTalk WebEx Yugma Zoho Meeting 8.95/month. It’s not a one-to-one communication (although one-on-one communications are still possible via private chat sessions). 6.net) is a web-based conferencing service priced from $49. Glance (www. What is web conferencing? Web conferencing tool is the online equivalent of a group meeting. but rather a one-to-many presentation or many-to-many conversation. Its main focus is easy-to-use screen sharing. SNSCT – Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG&PG) Page 17 . List some of the web conferencing tools. What features can you expect from a web conferencing service? • • • • • • • • • • • • Application sharing Desktop sharing File and document sharing PowerPoint presentations Presenter notes Annotation Whiteboard Text-based chat Audio conferencing Video conferencing Polling Quizzes 7.
What are the collaborative features in Facebook? • • • • • Recent news Discussion board Uploaded photos and videos Posted web pages The Wall—a kind of chat board 12. voice messaging. This type of solution is commonly known as groupware. and when it’s based in the cloud it’s called online groupware. and other state-of-the-art features. 10. 13. Today. or vice versa. Groupware is a collection of web-based collaborative tools that help team members not only communicate with each other but also manage their group projects. • • • • • • • File and document uploading and sharing Web calendar Task/project manager Message boards Text-based chat rooms / instant messaging Wiki-like collaborative pages Blogs SNSCT – Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG&PG) Page 18 .icq. Like most other IM programs.CLOUD COMPUTING 9. ICQ is totally free. ICQ was birthed by a company named Mirabilis back in 1996. AOL maintains ICQ and AIM as separate programs—so separate that ICQ users can’t talk to AIM users. but was acquired by America Online in 1998. List the tools in online groupware. Define ICQ The granddaddy of all instant messaging programs is ICQ (www. What are the two most popular social networking sites? • • Facebook MySpace 11. Users also get grouped conversations. Define online groupware.com). photo viewing.
a website founded in 1995 to facilitate the exchange of ideas between computer programmers. Wikis enable all users not only to write new articles.CLOUD COMPUTING 14. List the popular online groupware applications. • • • Blogger TypePad WordPress 17. In terms of organization. What is Blog? A blog (short for “web log”) is a kind of online journal that its author updates frequently with new musings and information. 16. • • • • • PBwiki Versionate wikihost. but also to comment on and edit existing articles. List the popular wiki hosting services. with the newest posts at the top—which makes it easy to keep track of the latest developments.org Wikispaces Zoho Wiki Page 19 SNSCT – Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG&PG) . a blog is a collection of individual posts or messages. List some of the blog-hosting communities. The posts are arranged in reverse chronological order. • • • • • • • • AirSet ContactOffice Google Sites Huddle Nexo OpenTeams ProjectSpaces teamspace 15. 18. Define Wiki. The first wiki was WikiWikiWeb. Wiki is a collection of web pages where any users can contribute or modify content.
Personal (2GB storage for $2/month).pbwiki. thanks to a variety of premade templates. 4. What is Versionate? Versionate (www. and PDF documents into wiki. How to create groups on social networks? Explain with example. What is PBwiki? PBwiki (www. Wiki creation is easy. Excel. SNSCT – Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG&PG) Page 20 . 3. Business (unlimited storage for $25/month).versionate. The company offers several different plans: Free (500MB storage).com) offers various levels of wiki hosting. Explain about evaluating web mail services and Evaluating instant messaging Explain about evaluating web conference tools. 2. The user can also import Word.CLOUD COMPUTING 19. larger ones are priced as low as $4 per user per month.com) offers hosted wikis designed for group collaboration. PART B 1. The user also get online file storage to help organize other documents as part of the wiki. A Versionate wiki is business friendly. Explain in detail about Evaluating on line groupware. PowerPoint. and Enterprise (unlimited storage for $2/user/month). Small wikis (one to three users) are free. because of SSL-level security and full control over editing privileges. 20.
List some of the more popular cloud storage services. • • • • • • • • • Amazon S3 Egnyte ElephantDrive Microsoft Office Live Workspace Mosso myDataBus Nirvanix steekR Windows Live SkyDrive SNSCT – Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG&PG) Page 21 . Why do we use Cloud Storage? There are three primary benefits to cloud storage: Scalability Reliability Lower costs • • • 3.com’s Simple Storage Service (S3). The servers used for cloud storage are typically hosted by third-party companies who operate large data centersThe best-known cloud storage service today is probably Amazon. 2. What is Cloud Storage? The first form of web-based data storage is called cloud storage.CLOUD COMPUTING UNIT V 1. This is a form of networked data storage where data files are stored on multiple virtual servers. What are the risks of storing data in the Cloud? • • • • Reliability Security User error Access problems 4.
White balance. List some of the Photo-Sharing Communities. Pop color. and distort 7. sketch. rotate. • • • • • • • • BlinkList ClipClip Clipmarks del. and color saturation control • Tuning. Crop. • Adobe Photoshop Express • FotoFlexer • Picnik • Picture2Life • Pikifx • Preloadr • Phixr • Pixenate • Snipshot 8. exposure.us Feedmarker SharedCopy Tagseasy Yahoo! MyWeb 6. List the Online Photo-Editing Applications. black & white. tint. touchup (a blur effect to remove scratches and blemishes). sharpen. List the types of different editing options • Basics. • • • • • • • • • Apple MobileMe Gallery dotPhoto DPHOTO Flickr Fotki MyPhotoAlbum Photobucket Picasa Web Albums Pixagogo Page 22 SNSCT – Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG&PG) . red-eye removal. List the more popular bookmarking and notebook sites.icio. fill light. auto correct. and soft focus • Effects.CLOUD COMPUTING 5. change hue. highlight.
email client.st • Glide • Nivio • StartForce • YouOS 12. spreadsheet. A web desktop has a graphical user interface (GUI) like Windows or the Mac OS.smugmug. SmugMug keeps three copies of photos on servers housed in four different states.deskjump. Define web-based desktop. As such. are stored in the cloud. picture viewer. for $39. What are the popular web-based desktop applications? • ajaxWindows • Deskjump • Desktoptwo • eyeOS • g. It is free and easy to use. A web-based desktop or webtop is a virtual computer desktop displayed inside the web browser. as well as personal preferences for how the desktop looks. Define Deskjump Deskjump (www.com) is a web-based desktop applications that offers a variety of easy-to-use applications housed on a common desktop. SmugMug offers a slightly better-looking interface and unlimited storage. What is the advantage of using SmugMug? SmugMug (www.ho. for more secure photo storage. and file manager. With the advantages of cloud storage.95/year. 11.com) is a photo-sharing community that aims to compete directly with Flickr. The user can get a simple word processor. online calendar. address book. SNSCT – Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG&PG) Page 23 . as well as 1GB online storage space and own blog and website. and often comes complete with one or more productivity applications. The webtop and all its apps. delivered over any Internet connection.CLOUD COMPUTING • • • • • PictureTrail SmugMug WebShots Zenfolio Zoto 9. 10. and access it over the web.
Prepared By (M.Sadish Sendil) Verified By (T. with a task-based “start” panel helping new users get started. How to explore on line photo editing and photo sharing communities. photo viewer. contact manager.P. web browser. complete with green Start button for the start menu.V. and file manager. 14. 3. calendar. All applications are compatible with Microsoft Office file formats. Define StartForce StartForce (www. HoD/CSE) Approved By (Dr.Kalaikumaran. Also included is a file loader for bulk uploading. The desktop is very simple. The desktop is integrated with Zoho’s web-based productivity applications. Discuss about exploring online book marking services.eyeos. 2.startforce. spreadsheet.Karthik. 15. Mention the applications of MobileMe. MobileMe includes the following applications: Mail (email) Contacts (contact management) Calendar (calendar and scheduling) Gallery (photo gallery and sharing) iDisk (online file storage) • • • • • PART B 1.org) offers a suite of useful applications. presentation program. Explain in detail about evaluating on line file storage.Arunachalam) Page 24 SNSCT – Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG&PG) .CLOUD COMPUTING 13.S. email client.com) provides a Windows-like desktop. Prof/CSE) Reviewed By (Dr. and also comes with an instant messaging client. including a word processor. What type of applications does eyeOS offer? The eyeOS (www. and media player.
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue listening from where you left off, or restart the preview.