Copyright 2004 Chicago Sun-Times, Inc.Chicago Sun-TimesOctober 31, 2004 Sunday
HEADLINE:
Kelly, Jay-Z tour ends after attack
BYLINE:
Jim DeRogatis
BODY:
The lucrative and heavily hyped Best of Both Worlds Tour featuring Chicago R&B singer R. Kelly and hip-hopgiant Jay-Z came to a halt Saturday as the simmering feud between the superstars erupted in public after a member of Jay-Z's camp allegedly attacked Kelly backstage in New York on Friday night."Despite being pepper-sprayed by a member of Jay-Z's entourage as he tried to return to the stage in MadisonSquare Garden last night, Kelly declared he was 'ready, willing, and able' to continue the tour," Kelly's spokesmansaid. "Jay-Z, however, refused to perform, as a result of which the promoter canceled the tour."A statement from Jay-Z's camp countered that Saturday's show at Madison Square Garden as well as New York area shows today and Monday would go on as scheduled -- without Kelly, but featuring "Jay-Z and special guests."Promoters could not say whether the tour would continue beyond these dates.Troubled partnershipThe two released their second joint album "Unfinished Business" last week and were midway through a 40-dateschedule. But the partnership was troubled since the tour started outside Chicago last month.Three shows were canceled in recent weeks, and Jay-Z said Kelly resented being upstaged. "If I get love, he can'ttake that," Jay-Z told New York's Hot 97 radio station after a chaotic scene at Madison Square Garden on Friday.The first show in Jay-Z's hometown Friday started with a performance by Kelly, but the singer abruptly stoppedthe show when he said he saw two people in the crowd waving guns, according to his spokesman, Allan Mayer.Security staffers searched the crowd for weapons as Kelly waited in his dressing room, Mayer said. Apparentlyangry about the delay, a member of Jay-Z's entourage stood in the hallway insulting Kelly and questioning hismanhood, he added.When security didn't find any weapons in the crowd, guards told Kelly it was safe to perform, Mayer said. But asKelly was making his way back to the stage, Mayer said that the man who had been hurling insults sprayed the singer and two of his bodyguards in the face with pepper spray.Kelly was treated in the emergency room at St. Vincent's Hospital in Manhattan early Saturday. Jay-Z finishedFriday night's show with the help of some of the biggest names in hip-hop and R&B -- including Usher, Mary J. Bligeand Foxy Brown -- who had been watching the show backstage.'That's it. It's too much'The rapper did not comment on the incident with Kelly onstage, but he attacked his erstwhile partner as unreliableduring several interviews with New York radio stations Saturday."We had to cancel Milwaukee, then we had to cancel Connecticut; we canceled St. Louis and then we canceledCincinnati," Jay-Z said. "This is just disrespectful, man. Everybody better grab their 'Best of Both Worlds' albums, because that's it. It's too much. Certain things aren't meant to be."Kelly's spokesman Mayer said he was disgusted after hearing the rapper's comments on the radio. "He called thewhole thing that happened last night a stunt," Mayer said. "I witnessed it last night, and believe me, it was not a stunt."