Prof. Aparna Kanchan
To help Leaders understand the dynamics of Ethical Leadership
Define Leadership Define Ethics Ethical Leadership Code of Ethics Leaders Dilemma Ethical Reasoning Process
Tools for the Ethics Kit Bag
Conclusion & Recommendations Questions
or parent) Leadership is about taking responsibility and assuming risk Leadership entails both the leading of people and the managing of things (programs. and equipment) Leadership requires action
. processes. teacher.What is Leadership?
Leadership is an action verb – you know it when you see it and feel it (coach.
They facilitate personal growth and development in those they lead.What do Leaders do?
They devote themselves to serving the needs and achieving the goals of the organizations.
They are good listeners and effective at building strong cross functional and collaborative teamwork.
They encourage and value input and self expression from those they lead. They devote themselves to serving the needs of those they lead.
What are the Three Most Important Keys to Effective Leadership?
• Ethics • Trust and confidence • Effective communications
If You are the Leader of a Herd
“You need to look back now and again to see if they’re still following you”
Ethics are simply doing the right thing. behavior. a way of thinking that provides boundaries for our actions.
. In other words.What is Ethics?
Ethics are standards of beliefs and values that guide conduct. and activities.
What is ethical leadership?
Ethical leadership involves both acting and leading ethically over time ……all the time.
Aim for Ethics
Just getting by
You will inevitably miss the target.Aiming for Ethical Decisions
If you aim for the outer rim.
Why practice ethical leadership?
• Ethical leadership models ethical behavior to the organization and the community.
• Ethical leadership brings credibility and respect.
. both for you and for the organization. • Ethical leadership builds trust. • Ethical leadership affords self-respect. • Ethical leadership is simply the right way to go.
• Ethical leadership creates a good climate within the organization.
and that ethics is a priority in the organization they:
• Feel less pressure to compromise ethical standards • Observe less misconduct on the job • Are more satisfied with their organization overall • Feel more valued as employees
.When employees feel their leaders are ethical.
.When and by whom should ethical leadership be practiced?
Ethical leadership should be practiced all the time by anyone in a formal or informal leadership position.
• Ethical thought must be connected to action. 14
. • Ethical leadership is a shared process. vision. • Ethics should be out in the open. and mission of the organization or initiative.How do you practice Ethical Leadership?
General guidelines: • Ethical leadership requires a clear and coherent ethical framework on which the leader can draw in making decisions and taking action. • Your ethical framework should agree with the ethical framework. • Ethics should be a topic of discussion.
. and look for ways to minimize harm. • Treat everyone with fairness. • Encourage the discussion of ethics in general and of the ethical choices involved in specific situations and decisions as an ongoing feature of the organizational culture. and respect all the time. • Institutionalize ways for people to question your authority.Components of Ethical Leadership:
• Put the good of the organization and the general good before your own interests and ego. • Consider the consequences to others of your decisions. honesty. and respect. • Treat other organizations in the same way you treat other people – with fairness. honesty.
Components of Ethical Leadership:
• • • • Communicate. • Constantly strive to increase your competence. • Never stop reexamining your ethics and your leadership. Work to be inclusive. Take your leadership responsibility seriously.
. Take cultural sensitivity and cultural competence seriously. and be accountable for fulfilling it.
self empathy. or when people during or to get input motivated and or develop style works problem a clear direction stressful from valuable competent long term best employees is needed circumstances employees team strength Overall impact on climate Negative Most strongly positive
Forges Consensus "Wha do you think"
. Self Confidence Empathy team ness drive to empathy Intellegence initiative .Leadership styles that get result
The leaders Modus Operandi The style in Phrase
Demands immediate Compliance " Do what I tell you"
Creates harmony & Mobilizes builds people towards emotional a vision bonds "Come with "People come me" first"
Democratic Pace Setting Coaching
Set high standards for performance "Do as I do now" Develops people for the future
"Try this" Developing Underlying Drive to Collaboration. building leadership achieve selfcompetencies control change catalyst relationship communication initiative awareness To help an To heal rifts in To get quick employee In a crisis to When changes a team or to To build buy-in results from a improve kick start a require a new motivate or consensus highly performance When the turnaround or vision. Conscientious others emotional and achieve.
Code of Ethics
. •Gossiping. •Excessive photocopying for private purposes. •Frequent long-distance phone calls of a personal nature.Code of Ethics Should Contain
• Sexual harassment • Diversity • Privacy and confidentiality • Conflicts of interest • Gifts and gratuities • Employee health and safety
•Favoring of friends or family. •Arriving late at work or leaving early. •Failing to live up to agreements.
Which Card Would You Choose
Ethical Reasoning Process
• Define the Problem
• Know the Relevant Rules
• Develop and Evaluate Courses of Action • Choose the COA That Best Represents the Organization’s Values
kids.Tools for the Ethic Kit Bag
• In order to lead others. and professional goals – Three basic kinds of people – Intelligence and ability
. you must make sure your house is in order • People are always watching you • Know your own strengths and weaknesses – Self Assessment and Self Awareness • Know something about your employees – Name. married.
Tools for the Ethic Kit Bag
• Empower trusted and proven employees • Know your employee’s strengths and weaknesses – Exploit their strengths and help them improve on their weaknesses – Try to affect people positively not infect them negatively • Be humble
Conclusions & Recommendations
Dedication. you set an example. All organizations need to create an ethics and compliance program. Fairness.Conclusions & Recommendations
Ethical behavior starts with you. Impartiality.
. Leaders should exhibit some or all of the following personal qualities and behaviors: Honesty. Integrity. Responsibility and Accountability. It is essential to create a policy which contains repercussions for ethical misconduct and incentives for employees to behave ethically. As a leader. Loyalty.
Ex chairman & CEO.Visionary Leaders
Jack Welch .Turner Broadcasting Systems Micheal Dell .Dell Computers Narayan Murthy .Founder .Chairman Sony Corp Ted Turner . Infosys
. GE Akio Morita .Chairman.