• A colorless liquid nutrient that is usually prepared through the fermentation of different fruits, sugar or different cereals like grains and rice in the help of yeast is called alcohol. • Drinking alcoholic beverages is said to be the one of the oldest traditions around the world. Based on history, alcohol is the first chemical invented by man that make differences to the conditions of our body and mind.
• As time goes by, fermentation of different fruit saps and meads became well known to the countries in the east like, China and Japan. However, whisky or sometimes called “water of life” became popular to the different countries in Europe during the Middle Ages.
• Ethyl Alcohol is the alcohol that is usually found in different alcoholic beverages. Ethyl Alcohol is sometimes called ethanol. Its molecular formula looks like this.
• You will not find pure alcohol in most drinks; drinking pure alcohol can be deadly because it only takes a few ounces of pure alcohol to quickly raise the blood alcohol level into the danger zone. For various types of beverages, the ethanol concentration (by volume) is as follows:
Kinds of Alcohol Beverages
• · Beer = 4 to 6 percent (average of about 4.5 percent) • Wine = 7 to 15 percent (average of about 11 percent) • Champagne = 8 to 14 percent (average of about 12 percent) • Distilled spirits (e.g. rum, gin, vodka, whiskey) = 40 to 95 percent
• Most of the typical spirits purchased in liquor stores are 40 percent alcohol. Some highly concentrated forms of rum and whisky (75 to 90 percent) can be purchased in liquor stores. Some highly concentrated forms of whiskey (i.e. moonshine) can be made and/or purchased illegally.
REASONS AND WRONG BELIEFS WHY PEOPLE DRINK ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES
• Other says that, drinking alcoholic beverages symbolizes the status of an individual whether he was a rich person or poor. They also say that alcoholic beverages is a social lubricant, quenches the thirst of a person, relieves tension and lastly it helps to forget their problems temporarily.
• Based on a survey conducted to the teenagers who drink alcoholic beverages, they found out that there are many reasons why teenagers drink. Here are the following:
• • • • • • • • • • • • •
Alcoholic beverages help them to easily socialize with another. They found happiness to themselves while drinking. They found self-compliance to themselves. It helps them to forget their problems. It helps them to ignore what other says something about them. It helps them to conquer their fear. It helps them to lessen self –consciousness. It helps them to achieve more freedom It makes their body and mind happy It helps to make celebrations or gatherings become happier. They feel relax when they drink. Drinking alcoholic beverages became a custom especially in celebrating special events or gatherings. Because the powerful influence of media. (e.g. commercials in radios, newspapers and television)
• Many people drinking alcoholic beverages because of their different wrong beliefs. Some of the beliefs are the following:
• • • • • •
Drinking alcoholic beverages makes them become more happy than usual. Anyone can drink beer without the effect of alcohol. A person who do not drink alcohol does not have plenty friends. Neglegance in drinking alcoholic beverage in a celebration is a big uncouth or insult. It is okay to the parents that their children are addict to alcohol rather than a drug addict. Young persons usually do what they see that is why when they see that their older relative is drinking, they are tempted to do it also.
THE DIFFERENT EFFECTS OF ALCOHOL
A. Effect of Alcohol in our Body
• Whenever we drink alcohol, it always go to the esophagus and stomach without digesting. Some alcohol may go to the bloodstreams of the stomach while some may go directly to the small intestine. Alcohol may also travel to our brains and different internal body organs such as liver, heart, kidney, and pancreas. Malnutrition and changing of traits may also occur while drinking alcoholic beverages.
1. Effect of Alcohol in the Nervous System
• Nerves scattered around our body and also a part of the brain and the spinal cord is like a telephone wires. It gives and accepts different messages from the different parts of our body. Alcohol makes the cells of our brain to move slowly and it stops to give messages to the different part of our body. Because of the effects of alcohol, a person forgets his attitude that is why he can do what he wants. Also. A drunkard person does not have an ability to make decisions
2. Effects of Alcohol in the Stomach and Intestine
• Because of alcohol, the stomach and the intestines are wounded. That is why, it caused too much heat, vomiting or sometimes vomiting with blood.
3. Effects of Alcohol in the Liver
• When alcohol reaches the liver, he first thing liver do is that it makes alcohol became fat. Other fats travels around the body while most of it stayed in the liver. A six glasses of beer everyday can make the fats inside the liver more. • In order to make the fats inside the liver disappear, liver must work twice the normal that is why it became bigger. When the liver became bigger, the person who drinks alcohol may experience tolerance. He needs more bottles of alcohol for him to be drunk. • When a liver goes big, the reactions of the medicines in the body will change. That is why it is dangerous to drink alcoholic beverages while taking up medicines. Whenever the liver goes bigger and bigger, the cells of the liver are destroyed and also the person may experience alcoholic hepatitis. When the cells of the liver died, it may scar the tissues. It causes the liver to not function very well which is called cirrhosis.
4. Effects of Alcohol in the Heart
• Drinking alcoholic beverages may affect the performance of our heart. Our heart will not be as more productive than the usual. A person may feel that he is always tired and experience difficulty in breathing.
5. Effects of Alcohol in the Blood
• Because of the effect of alcohol in the liver, the sugar level of the blood become lower, and the fat become higher. Low sugar level of the blood may cause death to a person.
6. Effects of Alcohol in the Kidneys
• Alcohol may weaken the performance of the kidneys in releasing waste of our body like urine. That is why some of the drinkers may have a hard time in urinating.
• Malnutrition may weaken our immune defense of our body to the different infection like ulcer and tubercolosis. Malnutrition may also cause too much cough, emotional problems and locomotor skills problems. • If a person experienced not to eat the needed food of his body, he became malnutritioned. The persons who drink alcoholic beverages may suffer malnutrition because of the following:
a. Alcoholic beverages are not food. It is true that it gives energy and vitamin B, but it is not enough. b. The drinkers are not eating their balanced meal completely. They used their time, money, and energy in drinking alcoholic beverages. . Alcohol burns the stomach and the intestines. The food that they eat is not used well by the body. When the liver is destroyed because of alcohol, it may not release important vitamins needed by our body.
• Alcohol may affect the traits of a person it is because of the effects of alcohol in the nervous system. The effect of alcohol in the traits is based on the amount of alcohol in the blood. It is based on these different criteria:
a. Amount of alcohol drink. b. Kind of alcoholic beverages. c. The size and weight of the drinker. d. Time of drinking alcohol. e. The food inside the stomach.
9. Effects of Alcohol to the Pregnants
• The pregnants who drinks at least 2 glasses of alcoholic beverage may affect the baby in their womb like the following:
a. Abortion b. The baby will be underweight c. The baby intellectual development may greatly affect d. Weak coordination e. Small head f. Abnormalities of that face, hands and feet and also to the brain g. Heart defect h. The milk supply of the mother will decrease because of alcohol.
B. Effects of Alcohol in the Community
Because drinking alcoholic beverages affect the traits of an individual, the community is also been affected through having quarrels inside the houses, to the friends, work and employment, accidents in the roads and crimes.
Quarrels in the House 2. Quarrels to the Friends 3. Quarrels in the Work 4. Accidents in the Roads 5. Crimes
C. Effects of Alcohol to the Economy of the Country
The strength on the economy of a country will be based on the health and energy of its members. If a country has a citizen who drinks too much alcohol, that country will not achieve good economical status.
• In personal decision making, he or she should believe in himself or herself. He or she should face his or her different problems in life. We should also remember that we do not need alcoholic beverages to gather more friends. The important thing is that you should develop your good traits to be more pleasing to others. • An industrious person are the ones who will succeed to their careers and never been influenced by alcoholic beverages. And also, those person who can face their problems fearlessly can not easily tempted to drink alcoholic beverages. A person who is responsible and self- discipline can make to achieve unity and make the economy to grow. These person who shows respect and self -discipline are not easily to be drunk. • And always remember that we should be responsible and selfdisciplined person because this kind of person can make a good society.
Most Filipino drinkers died because of “pulutan” or finger foods not because of the alcohol they take.
• f you leave the unusual protein discussion, pulutan or finger food to be had with a cold beer areusually something salty, fatty and texture driven. It is meant to accompany your drink and to whet your tastebuds so that you seek more to drink and more to munch on.
Different kinds of Pinoy “Pulutan”
• Pulutan is a word which means "finger food". Though at times eaten with a fork, Pulutan is served as an appetizer or as a snack accompanied with liqu0r or non-alcoholic beverages. * Adidas - grilled chicken feet * Chicharon - salted, dried and fried pork rind * Chicharong Bituka - crispy pig's intestines (also called bulaklak, which translates to flower because of it's appearance when fried) * Mani - salted and/or spicy fried peanuts, sometimes flavored with garlic * Pork Barbecue - Filipino Satays marinated in a special blend * Sisig - minced pig's cheeks cooked with herbs and spices and is served sizzling on a hot plate. * Siomai - chinese dumplings (steamed meatballs sealed in wonton wrappers) dipped in soy sauce with squeezed kalamansi (Philippine lemon) * Lumpiang Shanghai - tiny fried spring rolls filled with minced meat.
Its Party Time!