This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Presented By: Muhammad Shahzad Ahmad Khan Ali Riaz Ghulam Jillani Umair Irfan Mubashar Ali Shan
• First of all, we are thankful to Almighty Allah, who
has given us the strength and determination to carry out this research. • We would like to express our sincere gratitude to our instructor Miss Ainee Afzal, for her valuable guidance, constructive comments and continuous encouragement through out the course. • Special thanks Mr. Shadaat Tayyab (Corporate Head, GEO) and Mr. Saqib Noor Ahmed (Associate HR Manager, GEO), Mr. Muhammad Athar Iqbal (Purchase Head, GEO), Mr. Musawar Sultan (Officer Material Management, GEO), Mr. Shujaat Ali (Construction Manager, GEO) for their assistance in data collection. 2
History of Formation of GEO Network
• 1966 Letter to the President of Pakistan asking him to
permit private sector television to combat the propaganda war. Pakistan completed for GEO followed by national and International study tour. named "Newsreel“. 1.
• Sep 1990 First feasibility/research paper on TV potential in • Dec 1991 Made first pilot for first new show for GEO, then • Dec 1995 Transponder leased/reserved for GEO on Asia Sat • Aug 1996 Due to political confrontation GEO launch
History of Formation of GEO Network
• July 2001 Largest HR recruitment campaign launched • Nov 2001 BBC Technologies hired as technical consultants • • • • • •
for GEO 15-Nov 2001 Core team of the channel is established to chalk out policies, strategy and implementation plan 2-Dec 2001 String of nationwide interviews, consisting 25 cities, begin as recruitment campaign attracts attention of 40,000 applicants 20-Dec 2001 Contracts with builders, key vendors, technology partners, transponder and Dubai Media City are finalized 5-Jan 2002 Construction of state-of-the-art HQ studios and offices begins 10-Jan 2002 Construction begins at Dubai Media City for offices and transmission studios 1-Feb 2002 A senior team of int'l consultants lands in Pakistan to complete recce for training
History of Formation of GEO Network
• 14-Aug 2002 Geo's test transmission starts at 12:00 noon PST with • • • • • •
24-hour news content; frequency kept secret 15-Aug 2002 Cable Operators start tuning into secret frequency and begin airing GEO's test transmission without channel's consent 5-Sep 2002 Geo team begins nationwide 5-day tour marketing the channel to cable operators, introducing them to the channel and getting their feedback 5-Sep 2002 Signs of brand power begin to emerge as GEO's logo is copied and imitated by local brands i.e. GEO Biryani, GEO Water and GEO Washing Powder 11-Sep 2002 First advertisement announcing GEO frequency 30-Sep 2002 Construction of state-of-the-art, HQ and offices completed. Team moves in from training camp. 11-Jan 2003 Launching ceremony of infotainment and entertainment programs, with a duration of 2 hours per day, is held at Mohatta Palace in Karachi
History of Formation of GEO Network
• 11-Mar 2003 London and New York
Bureaus made operational • 20-Mar 2003 Geo and CNN sign partnership contract for collaboration • 7-Apr 2003 Geo begins transmission in UAE through E-Vision • 14-Aug 2003 Geo completes its 12 months of non-stop on air transmission.
HEAD OFFICE: KARACHI
BUREAU/REGIONAL OFFICES: Lahore Islamabad Peshawar Quetta Multan Besides that there are also out station reporters of Geo who work individually and has no office for example: Sialkot, Gujranwala and almost in all districts. 7
• GEO informs and entertains while
celebrating cultures and prompting dialogue in the spirit of "live and let live".
• “GEO will be the voice of freedom
from the Asian subcontinent. It will highlight the issues of concern and the cultural richness of its people through information, discussion and entertainment.
• Like all other profit organizations,
GEO’s basic objective is revenue generation.
• • • • • • • We are a team. We respect each other. We encourage self-development. We hold high expectations. We embrace change. We value our Viewers We provide exceptional service that leaves an impression. • We support our community. • Consistent entertainment service and production quality.
FOUR CHANNELS OF GEO
• THERE ARE CURRENTLY FOUR
CHANNELS OWNED BY GEO.
JEET KAY GEO
• Short Term Goal: • The short term goals of GEO keep on changing
however, the present short-term goal is to launch a youth channel within six months. The permission has been granted to launch the youth channel. Intermediate goal: The intermediate goal of GEO is to increase their channels to 11 within the time limit of 3 years. Long Term Goal: When asked about the long-term goal we were told that it is highly confidential and only known to the Upper level management, e.g. C.E.O.
• • • •
• They evaluate the goals set by the
management as to how close they are to achieving their objectives, and how much they have achieved. • If Geo has not achieved its required goals they take feedback and change their operational plans accordingly.
• Geo has not faced any such crisis yet
however, they have set a whole team for the management of crisis. In this team, GEO has experts in all fields. When a certain department faces any problem, the head of that department informs the team about it and the team finds a solution to the problem and terminates it. • Unfortunately, however because it is impossible to forecast the future precisely, no organization can ever be perfectly prepared for every eventuality.
• Strengths: • New ideas and concept with fast execution has become a
trademark of GEO -- 'Fastest Firsts'.
• • • • First to bring the 'Breaking News' concept in Pakistan. Unbiased, accurate and timely 24-hour news in ‘Urdu language’. Most competitive work team. Goodwill as the largest media group in the country.
• Here is a look at just some of them: • For Example:
• First to give election results -- 7 hours before the nearest competitor. (Election 2002 special transmission and coverage). • First to use videophones in Iraq and Afghanistan and remote regions of Pakistan for live coverage. • First to start political satire in Pakistan depicting current and past heads of state (Hum Sub Umeed Say Hain). • The first to produce joint India-Pak ventures like "Gaye Gi Duniya Geet Meray", "Faslay" and "Lakhon Mein Teen".
• It is a newly established company so it is still
under the learning process. • Because Pakistan has no institute that provides formal education on this field they are required to have all employees trained from foreign institutions. • Lack of innovation in the entertainment scene.
• Growing awareness about GEO of the
people. They are attracted towards entertainment. • Increase in viewer-ship • Improvement of Pakistan’s terms with India. It increases cultural activities.
• Fear of competition: • Especially in entertainment because of new channels. • Employee turnover : • Geo’s employee turnover is under 5% • New channels attract GEO qualified and trained employees by offering them 3 times the salary they earn at GEO. They also offer different fields of jobs. These demands are difficult to meet for GEO.
NATURE OF BUSINESS
• It is an International Electronic Media
service providing News and Entertainment.
• Geo plans to target the Masses. Geo
is based in Dubai and is broadcasted for South Asian viewers of M.E, Europe, Canada, North America and UK. Besides, of burros in Pakistan a robust network feeds regularly live content from New York, Los angles and London.
TYPE OF OWNERSHIP AND FINANCIAL RESOURCES
• It is a Private limited Company and
has 100% internal shares (family shares only). This is part of the Jang Group of Companies, the biggest and strongest group in media of the Private Sector. • It is basically a family business they have no external shares.
REVENUE AND TYPE OF PRODUCTS
• Its revenues are generated only
through sale of commercial airtime. (Advertising on the channel). So far Geo has not reached even its breakeven point and have not earned any profits yet. • Types of product includes News, Entertainment, Infotainment, and Sports.
MARKET SHARES AND COMPETITORS
• Its stands 2nd to satellite
channels viewed in the Pakistan and 2nd to National channels in Pakistan. i.e., PTV & ARY. PTV is the main competitor of GEO with regards to viewer ship because of the reason that geo is a satellite channel and is accessible in specific areas whereas PTV is a national antenna channel, which is easily accessible. Geo is trying to compete with PTV and trying harder and harder to be the No.1 channel in Pakistan. Other satellite channels like Sony, Star plus etc, are GEO’s major competitors among satellite channels.
50 40 30
20 10 0
PTV ARY GEO
• Leadership Style
Democratic Leadership Style Encourage Employee for Decision Making Leader is just like a Coach
• Responsibilities of Leaders
Develops plans to help employees evaluate their own performance Allows employees to establish goals Encourages employees to grow on the job and be promoted Recognizes and encourages achievement. 26
• Internal environment is based on the
hallmark of professionalism and on the concept of ‘service above self’. • Geo’s HR Department plans and executes cohesive and integrated communication designed specifically for its people to share the sense of pride and joy.
• Managers interact with their
employees and communicate with everyone on an open forum culture. Managers communicate on the phone and over the internet the head office in based in Karachi.
Level of Informality
• Geo organization is very informal and
partially formal. • They follow an “Open door Policy”. • Formal conversations are less because GEO believes in Teamwork and working in a friendly environment.
• There is a code of conduct that all
employees have to follow strictly. For example: 2.They have a No-Smoking environment
however; they have specified a zone for smoking only. 3.Every employee has to display the GEO Identity Badge. 4.There is no formal dress code except for certain levels such as, the Heads of the
Geo consists of 1600 plus employees around the world and 180 employees in the Lahore bureau itself because Geo has a very wide and large hierarchy.
Level of Management
Top Managers Chief Executive Officer Chief Operating Officer Managing Director GEO News President
Middle Managers Directors Director News Purchase Head Regional Heads Bureau Chief News General Managers
First Line Manager Managers Associate managers
Decision Making Style
• Making a new decision is “highly
centralized” only the C.E.O has the authority to implement any decision at any time without reporting to anyone. • In case of hiring: Hiring is Centralized Selection is Decentralized
• The functional departments of GEO
are further sub-divided into geographical departments in order to carry out the operations and activities of different cities, regions and districts. To keep themselves up to date with the latest news and events across the nation and globe.
EARTH STATION AND INTERNATIONAL OPERATION OFFICE
• Earth station is situated in Dubai
from where all transmission and telecast of programs is undertaken. • United Kingdom and The United States of America.
• Creativity needs to be disseminated. This is where the engineers, technicians, maintenance engineers, light and sound engineers, transmission staff comes in. They are the people who keep the studios operational and bring those stunning visuals to your screens from the most difficult terrain and venues.
• Television is a business. In the back
room, sit people who are number crunchers, planners, forecasters, financial analysts, budget monitors, and trend spotters. They understand the industry and with constant research make sure that projections are met and budgets and time lines are respected.
• Every program, time slot, and viewer is an
opportunity that needs to be explored, marketed, promoted and valued. Marketing is the department that not only maximizes the value of geo programming but also helps develop it by soliciting feedback form the industry and creating specific creative solutions for clients and brands. If you think you understand how to maximize the potential of an idea, and can create solutions and packages for brands and clients, this is the most dynamic team in media for you.
• Sales or $ales, is where the money is at! This
fast-paced department brings in the rupees that enable us to produce the content that our viewers depend on. True believers of GEO, armed by the content in hand, and the philosophy in mind, go out everyday in to the fast changing and unpredictable market and maximize the value of the channel. At the front line are the foot soldiers of GEO who sell space around our programs and fill the advertising needs of the channel. These are the true dream merchants.
• GEO-TV carries out research in
various mediums on components like advertising, market intelligence, television viewer ship and masses’ penetration of those mediums. These are the basic components, their roots captivates not only the micro changes but also the macro variations on the spectrum of information and entertainment.
• Sports are a new genre of
programming that has also not been explored much in Pakistan. From Cricket to Polo and everything in between.
• Information Technology is the lifeline
of the organization supporting all the functions without any interruption catering for all software needs and MIS requirements 24/7.
HR Department and Its Working
Recruitment and Selection Internal and External recruitment Selection Criteria Selection Procedure Orientation and Training
RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION
• Firstly, Advertisements are given in the Geo •
website and if necessary on print also. GEO is one of the most progressive organizations in the country. It believes in complete transparency and objectivity in its hiring process. All members of TEAMGEO are selected on their merit and qualification. The organization is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on any basis. The company has one of the best environments for women employees, and it actively encourages women seeking employment.
INTERNAL & EXTERNAL RECRUITMENT
• In GEO, vacant posts are also filled
internally to provide an opportunity for the workers already working in the organization. • In GEO, fresh or experienced candidates are also preferred and hired.
• The selection is entirely base on
merit, which confirms to selection criteria without any bias towards, gender, religion, race, color, nationality, age, and according to the procedures laid down in the HRD policies.
• Filling out application forms. • Application screening. short
listing • Tests. (Written and Practical) • Interview. • Final selection. • Orientation • Training
ORIENTATIONS & TRAINING
• Orientation program is held when new employees joins the company. They give an opportunity to the all-new employees that they hire to rotate in the factory departments daily so the employees must know in which environment and in which circumstances they had to work. • Once they are hired Geo provides them with foreign training usually from CNN and BBC. However, the training is an ongoing process apart from the off job training. For this purpose, they are attached with a senior to supervise them.
HRM and Employee Control Process
• Individual Records of each employee
which is highly confidential • GEO uses the 360 degrees appraisal in which subordinates evaluate their seniors. • Free to give suggestions and ideas • It includes all the points through which organization make control over the employees. 51
Formation of Policies
• Geo has a Policy Department which
makes policies and provide solutions for the management crises. • Final approval is always given by the Top Level Managers. • Approved policies are published at website and printed in the well known newspaper.
MARKET CONTROL PROCESS
• Geo uses the external market
mechanism such as content based competition and relative market share that is, GEO has to keep up with the latest trends in the media market and follow those trends to maintain and set their standards. GEO has also proved itself to be a trendsetter in the market.
QUALITY CONTROL PROCESS
• Quality Control Division
• Production selection • Selection approval by the Department Head • Send to Censor Board for final approval • Finally, telecast the production after the
approval of Censor Board.
• National association of Broadcasters
(USA). World’s largest association of broadcasters has honored GEO with the “Award for Quality” declaring it an international standard television channel.
and news agencies have commented on the unique style of GEO and various have quoted it extensively. These include New York Times, Washington Times, Financial Times, Washington Post and Los Angeles Times. 55
• Some international newspapers, magazines
• Geo has been described as the CNN
and BBC of Pakistan due to its enormous news network within Pakistan and all over the world. • Geo has also been awarded best electronic mass media award 2004 by Pakistan adv. Association. • According to Gallup, Geo is highly rated and the most watched satellite channel in Pakistan for its news, talk shows and flavored programs.
• From this research, we conclude that: Geo
is the only independent and liberal channel with the unique honor of consistently breaking news. • Geo is a fast growing network of channels that is making rapid awareness among the people. • Geo’s main problem is the growing number of private sector channels causing more competition. • For this reason GEO must improve their strategy and competitive position.