US DOL-VETS 2007 Competitive Grantees Training Conference`

August 7-9, 2007
Cynthia W. High, MSW US Department of Housing and Urban Development Office of Special Needs Assistance Programs

Continuum of Care
Outreach Intake Assessment Permanent Housing Transitional Housing

Emergency Shelter

Permanent Supportive Housing

Supportive Services

HUD’s Continuum of Care Approach
• Community driven planning process launched in
1994 that is collaborative, strategic and longrange;

• Framework to bring homeless housing and

services together to develop a strategy to end chronic homelessness and move families and individuals to permanent housing and selfsufficiency; the projects recommended for funding;

• Community determines local needs; prioritizes • Requires involvement of diverse stakeholders.

Veterans Services Mental Illness Businesses Banks HIV / AIDS

Planning / Coordinating Councils

Housing Developers

Foundations Service Providers Educators Neighborhood Groups
Homeless Persons

Program Components
• Three competitive programs:
– – – Supportive Housing Program (SHP) Shelter Plus Care (SPC or S+C) Section 8 Moderate Rehab SRO

• One formula program: • Policy Priorities:
– – –

– Emergency Shelter Grants (ESG) Ending Chronic Homelessness Housing Emphasis Performance

2006 Competition Highlights
• Requested: $1.4 billion for 5,704
projects

• Awarded: $1.2 billion to 5,291
projects

• Amount awarded represents:
– 86% of funding requests – 93% of project requests

Funding and Renewals
• 5,291 Total Projects Funded • 436 CoCs Funded
– 256 CoCs received new and renewal funding, for a total of $993 million – 180 CoCs received 1 year renewals only, for a total of $212 million

• Availability of new funding varies by
CoC

HUD Veteran Project Funding
• HUD emphasizes importance of serving
veterans in its grant applications - gives points for veteran participation. • Relatively few veteran-specific projects are submitted (3-4 %). • Veteran-specific projects - 70% or more participants are veterans. • Many more projects that target veterans among others served are funded (>50% ).

HUD Veteran Project Funding in 2006
• 145 veteran-specific projects were
awarded just over $30 million (3% of funded projects) • 2,466 projects serving veterans among others were awarded $631.5 million (47% of funded projects) • Total projects serving veterans – 2,611 (50% of funded projects)

Initiatives
• 1996 - HUD’s Annual Performance Report (APR) was revised
to record veteran information.

• Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) now
collects information about veteran status. Congress

• Annual Homeless Assessment Report (AHAR) – report to • Development of two technical assistance guidebooks –

currently on-line. – A Place at the Table: Homeless Veterans and Local Homeless Assistance Planning Networks; – Coordinating Resources and Developing Strategies to Address the Needs of Homeless Veterans.

Chronic Homelessness
• HUD addresses chronic homelessness
among veterans through the CoC application award process. homelessness among veterans.

• Collaborative Initiatives address chronic • 2003 and 2005 – Three Collaborative

Initiatives to address chronic homelessness, including one Initiative funded by HUD and DOL.

Future Proposals for CoC Process
• Program consolidation • Greater local decision making • Funds for prevention