This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
TERRA MORRIS, KELLI HORNER, & TERRENCE WILLETT CABRILLO COLLEGE STRENGTHENING STUDENT SUCCESS CONFERENCE OCTOBER 9, 2013
WHAT IS SOFIA?
• Secure online inquiry tool • Provides Cabrillo faculty, administrators, and staff with timely access to common student outcomes
• Longitudinal tracking of learning community participants, special populations, and custom user-uploaded cohorts
WHY HAVE A FACULTY INQUIRY
Cabrillo Faculty & Administrators Planning & Research Office
EVOLUTION OF SOFIA
• Joint venture between Title V, IT, and the Research Office • Infrastructure and creation of SQL Data Warehouse (single source data system) • Modeled after the Chancellor’s Office Data Mart • Based on focus groups with faculty • Extensible – SQL DW team
WHAT CAN SOFIA DO?
Success and completion • Data available for Summer 1992 – Spring 2013 • By department, level, or course • Section level vs. course level data based on user Retention • Track custom cohorts • Enrollments updated daily Student Progress and Attainment • Completion of transfer-level math & English • Attainment of a certificate, degree, or transfer
o Customizable reports o Advanced layout o Export to Excel, CSV, text o Data on Demand - track up to 99 custom cohorts o Three user types o Non-instructional faculty & staff – course level data only o Instructional faculty – limited section level access o Power users – section level data
o Disaggregate data by: • Demographics – gender, ethnicity, age group • Placement level – math, English, reading • Progression – completion of math, English, and/or reading courses • Special populations – CalWorks, EOPS, DSPS, Veterans, Foster Youth • Learning communities – ACE, AMAP, Honors, MESA, Prep, Puente,
REAL, SEA, STARS, STEM
BENEFITS OF SOIFA
• Increase student success by making data-driven decisions
• Analyze curricular and pedagogical changes
• Improve program planning process
• Assess equity gaps within a section, course, or department • Identify and track trends over time • Learn more about your students • Create a culture of inquiry across Cabrillo
• Sample questions SOFIA’s Success and Completion query can provide data for: • Does success in MATH-254 differ based on students’ reading placement level? • Do students that have completed transfer-level English (ENGL-1A) do better in History classes than students that have not completed 1A? • Is success in my program trending up or down in the last two years? • Is there an equity gap in my program? Do success rates differ based on students’ ethnicity or gender? DSPS status? Membership in EOPS or CalWORKs? • Do students that place directly into MATH-152 do better than students that progress through the sequence? • Has the rate of Ws in my class(es)/department gone down in the last two years? Who is withdrawing from my classes/dept?
• Take 5 minutes to brainstorm questions you want to know about your classes, students, or program.
• After viewing the data, what follow-up questions do you have? Can you use SOFIA to answer your new questions? • What will you do with this information?
• Make curricular changes?
• Pedagogical changes? • Share this data with a peer?
• Share this data at a department meeting?
• Contact the Planning & Research Office to figure out what the heck it means?
For more information,
please contact Terra Morris at email@example.com