Open Skies Policy

OPEN SKIES POLICY

MEANING
y Unrestricted access to airlines y Any airport y Any airline y Any aircraft y Multiple entry y Unlimited seating capacity

NEED
y Travel & Tourism y Competition & efficiency y Choice of airlines y Choice of available seats y Holiday season y Unlimited service, capacity,

points of call

Bilateral Treaties
y Aviation relations between two

sovereign contracting parties y ICAO y Introduces regulations y Operations y Seating capacity y Certification of airlines

The Indian side
y Signed over µ180¶ bilateral

agreements y Yr¶2002- 38.09mn seats available y 19.174mn seats utilized y 14mn passengers travelling

Utilization
y Contract- 50% seats by national

carriers & 50% seats by contracting party y However foreign carriers utilize 70% seats leaving 30% to national carriers y Shortage of Indian players

Sign up to vote on this title
UsefulNot useful