This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. What is Advertising ? Characteristics of Advertising Five M of Advertising Role of Advertising Functions of Advertising Methods of Classification Types of Advertising
What is Advertising?
According to AMA – “It is any paid form of non – personal presentation and promotion of ideas, goods, services by an identified sponsor.”
ADVERTISING is a paid form of communicating a message by the use of various media. It is persuasive, informative, and designed to influence purchasing behavior or thought patterns. Advertising may be described as the science of arresting human intelligence long enough to get money from it. —Leacock, Stephen Butler
Characteristics of Advertising
1. A paid form, although in case of PSAs (Public Service Announcements) use donated time & space. 2. Sponsor is identified. 3. It is strategic communication driven by objectives, & these objectives can be measured to determine its effectiveness. 4. It reaches a large audience of potential customers. 5. The message is conveyed through many different kinds of media, which are largely non personal. So Advertising is paid persuasive communication that uses non personal mass media- as well as other forms of interactive communication- to reach broad audiences to connect an identified sponsor with a target audience.
A series of related advertisements focusing on a common theme, slogan, and set of advertising appeals.
The 5 Ms of Advertising
• • • • • Mission – objectives Money – budgets Message – communication Media – what vehicles? Measurement - evaluation
Major Decisions in Advertising
Objectives Setting Objectives Setting
Budget Decisions Budget Decisions
Message Decisions Message Decisions
Media Decisions Media Decisions
Campaign Evaluation Campaign Evaluation
Role of Advertising
1. 2. 3. 4. The marketing role The economic role The societal role The communication role
Role of Advertising
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. To inform, remind and persuade consumers Helps in building relationships with consumers Makes the job of Sales Personnel more efficient To support new products by generating awareness Contribute to economic growth by expanding the market Growth of Media by generating revenues for it Helping research and innovation by generating more demand Catalyst for change Tells & shows uses to the consumers
Functions of Advertising
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. Builds awareness of products & brands. Creates a brand image. Provides product & brand information. Persuades people. Provides brand reminders. Reinforces past purchases & brand experiences.
Types of Advertising
Media Used 1. Print: Newspapers, Magazines 2. Electronic :TV,Radio 3. Outdoors 4. Internet 5. Others
Geographic Coverage 1. National 2. Regional 3. Local 4. International
For Whom 1.Comsumer Adv. 2. Industrial Adv.
Purpose 1. Primary or Secondary demand 2. Social or Non commercial 3. Direct or Indirect
Types of Media Advertising
Newspapers Newspapers Magazines Magazines Radio Radio Television Television Outdoor Media Outdoor Media Internet Internet Alternative Media Alternative Media