Workshop on 5S Implementation
Vardhman TPM Club Baddi
5th &6th April 2004
TWO TYPES OF FACTORIES
1.SHED TYPE FACTORIES 2.SUPER MARKET TYPE FACTORIES
1.SHED TYPE FACTORIES
•No internal organisation •Things are scattered every where •No fixed location for any item •Dirty, No cleaning •Difficult to locate things when required •You may have to buy the things you already have, when needed
1.SHED TYPE FACTORIES
•Organised •Clearly marked and labeled shelves & bins, with quantities •Things can be immediately located when needed •Nothing is lost, No time wasted in searching •Clean & pleasant environment •Waste & abnormality are immediately visible to all •Standard procedures, easily understood & visible
2.SUPER MARKET TYPE FACTORIES
WHAT IS 5 S
The 5S’s are a group of techniques to promote workplace organization, ensure adherence to standards and foster the sprit of continuous improvement.
Then 5S is a tool to convert shed type factory in to super market factory.
•1st -S (Seiri ) SORTING
-Get rid of unwanted items -Decide what to keep & what to discard
•2st -s (Seiton ) ORGANISE
-Everything has a place and every thing in its place -Locations and quantities clearly marked Key Technique : Sign boarding
Key Technique : Red Tagging
•3rd - S (Seiso ) SHINE & SWEEP
-Clean and discover abnormalities Key Technique : Physical sweeping and cleaning
•4th -S (Seiketsu ) STANDARDISE
-Consolidate first 3S by establishing standard procedures -Determine the best work practices and ensure that everyone does it the ‘Best’ way.
Key Technique : Visual Management( Indicators & Controls)
•5th -S (Shitsuke) SUSTAIN
-To sustain improvements and make further improvements by effective use of PDCA (Plan, Do, Check, Act) Cycle Key Techniques :- Continual 5S promotional activities - Auditing -Reward & Recognise -Training
•Divide the factory into small Zones •Choose Zone Leaders •Establish a 5S policy & display •Establish the company objectives from 5 S •Establish a Steering group •Give training on 5S to senior management. •Develop a suggestion scheme
•Develop draft 5S implementation plan and agree resources. •5S Zone leader training •Determine and agree scope of activities • Develop 5S sub-advisory group for : - Disposal of equipment - Disposal of documentation - Signboard strategy team
•Develop zone specific 5S improvement plan •Prepare Audit sheets & Do Fixed point photography •Identify the problems •Make radar charts for assessment of zone • Make improvement plan •Start 5S story board.
1 - S (Seiri) SORTING
•Get rid of unwanted material -Red Tagging •Record Red Tags •Auction and disposal
2 - S (Seiton ) ORGANISE
•Locate a specific place for specific items with specific quantity •Give different zones a separate identity and add colours & lines. •Set height and size limit. •Closed storage system v/s Open storage system • Keep tools orderly. •Sign boards and labels.
3 - S (Seiso ) Shine & sweep
•Decide what to clean and scope of activity •Clean the workplace. •Find out the abnormalities. •Use all 5 senses. •Make the cleaning schedule with responsibilities.
4 - S (Seiketsu ) Standardise
•Consolidate all gains of 3S •Set Standards •Use Kanban system •Display abnormalities •Visual indicators and controls.
5 - S (Shitsuke) SUSTAIN
•Sustain and make improvements. •Use PDCA (Plan,Do,Check,Act) cycle
•Re audit •Recognition & Reward •Retraining
•Make cleaning schedule and follow • Follow standard operating procedures •Set Targets •Elaborate the problems •Make things visual •Use audit sheet •Encourage people
Training Module For 5S Area (Zone) Leaders
5 S POLICY:
Policy communicates the directions and objectives of 5S e.g.To make the workplace clean user friendly and safe thru’ 5S”.
• Clearly state, preferably in quantitative terms, the objectives of 5S as to what you want to achieve through 5S.e.g.:
-80% Reduction in time for searching the items or papers -100% Reduction in injuries -50% Increase in suggestions from employees -Keep the area clean and organized etc.etc.
• • • • Should consist of 4 - 5 members Combination or Sr. Manager (Chief Engr, & Head of Deptt.) middle management and workers. Announcement of implementing 5S. Make all employee’s to feel that their participation is vital
Selection of Area/s (Zone/s)
• • • • • Take map of plant where 5S is to be implemented Divide the plant in manageable areas. Select the area (zone) leader If operation is in 3 shifts, divide areas amongst shifts also Try and use natural land marks like pillar/colums etc. to divide areas.
It is easier to enthuse people when they see results of 5S implementation in one pilot area
Develop a Suggestion Scheme
• Suggestions may range from very simple to not so simple but they should be encouraged • When the number of suggestions start tapering, boost them by encouraging people to do what they can do on their own. • Number of suggestions received are direct indication of extend of involvement of people. • A reward scheme (line with CO’s rules) should be introduced.
Develop 5S Implementation Plan:
List down activities in a sequential order Indicate time of start & finish for each activity Remember, 5S is never ending activity, but it may be planned 1st for 6 months.
A blame free environment is a MUST
Determine and Agree Scope of 5S Activities •
• • • • • Agree to scope or depth of activities Communicate the scope of activities to everybody Decide do you want to include all areas outside of factory of just stick to factory floor and offices Do you want to include walls up to ceiling or up to certain height only?
Develop 5S Sub-advisory group for:
• Disposal of equipment safely, properly and as per Company’s rules. • Disposal of documentation: • Decision should be taken by relevant competent people. • Sign Board Strategy Team: • To decide how the sign boarding and labeling should be done.
A focused meeting with the following objectives: i. Agree out line scope of 5S Activities ii. Define 5S areas clearly iii. Agree on5S area (zone) owners • • • Explain 5S to every body in team till every body understand it well. Sr. Managers to take ultimate responsibility (Don’t leave it to subordinates) All disposals etc. to be done as per Company’s rules.
Implement only 1 and 2 s and later on 3 S