You are on page 1of 17

PRESENT SCENARIO OF SOLAR ENERGY

IN INDIA

M Tech 1st Year (2015)
Power system

Presented By
Durgesh Choudhary
Pritish Pradhan
Bappi Kumar
Avinash Pataila

Sources of energy .

the world’s population consumes 15 terawatts of power from a combination of these energy sources .SOLAR ENERGY  The ultimate source of Solar energy is the SUN.  Using present solar techniques some of the solar energy reaching the earth is utilized for generating electricity etc….  Just this tiny fraction of the sun’s energy that hits the earth is enough to meet all our power needs.  Large magnitude of solar energy available makes it a highly appealing source of electricity  Sun gives 1000 times more power than what we need.  India is very fortunate that it has abundant amount of SUN throughout the year  Currently.

.

•The utility electricity sector in India had an installed capacity of 258.POWER DEMAND IN INDIA •India is the 3rd largest electricity producing country in the world.701 GW as of end March 2015 •Renewable Power plants constituted 28% of total installed capacity and Non-Renewable Power Plants constituted the remaining 72% •Solar only 1% .

750 megawatts (MW) .000 MW of solar power is added every year •Madhya Pradesh will house the world's largest solar power station .in Rewa district .Initiatives by Government of INDIA •In June.060 MW •The goal can be reached if an average of about 15. the Union Cabinet approved a plan to increase India's solar power capacity target five-fold to 100.000 megawatts by 2022 •Current intalled capacity is 4.

as said by Dr. • Though nuclear energy is a clean and green energy . .PRESENT SCENARIO • The fossil fuels are non renewable sources so we can not depend on them forever. there are always some problems associated with it.A.P. • So the only option we have is solar energy because it is a nonpolluting and silent source of electricity and also low maintainence and long lasting energy.J Abdul Kalam.

communities can make use of solar energy. • In developing countries . • Even on the highways . roof areas can be covered with solar panels . for every five kilometres .USES OF SOLAR ENERGY • • • • • • • Heaters Cars Lights Satellites Dryers Calculators Green houses water pumps Desalination Chilling Solar ponds Thermal Commercial use On an office building . • Remote buildings such as schools .solar telephones are used. this solar panels are very much useful. .

So we must use a device called solar panels which can convert the light energy into electrical energy. If incident light energy is greater than the work function(minimum energy required to remove the loosely bound valence electrons)of the metal .How solar energy is used • We can use solar energy by converting it to electrical energy . electrons will absorb the energy . . • Solar cells works on the principle of photoelectric effect.then the photo electrons will be emitted and the excess energy is converted to the kinetic energy of electron. • PHOTOELECTRIC EFFECT • When a light of certain frequency falls on the surface of a metal . • Solar panel is a group of solar cells.

Working of solar cells • When solar panels are placed in the sunlight . . photons will strike the surface and emits electrons. • As a result electron hole pair is created in the solar cell. • When external circuit is connected to the solar cell . electrons flow in the circuit and the current is generated.

Photovoltaic Cells .

which then runs steam turbine .Parabolic Trough • Sunlight focused on heat transfer fluid (HTF).

.

Advantages Traditional model of distribution No fuel costs Flexibility Almost no maintenance Negligible environmental impact Power can be either centralized in individual homes or distributed by electrical companies. Disadvantages Non-Constant Power Vulnerability Inefficient and costly equipment Reliability Depends On Location .

Future Plan of solar energy in India .

.

Thank You .