You are on page 1of 13

Transilvania

A region full of history.


Corvin Castle
Corvin Castle
Corvin Castle, also
known as Hunyadi
Castle or Hunedoar
a Castle is a Gothic-
Renaissance castle in
Hunedoara, Romania.
It is one of the largest
castles in Europe and
figures in a top of
seven wonders of
Romania.
History

Corvin Castle was laid out in 1446, when


construction began at the orders of John
Hunyadi (Hungarian: Hunyadi
Jnos, Romanian: Iancu or Ioan de Hunedoara)
who wanted to transform the former keep built
by Charles I of Hungary. The castle was
originally given to John Hunyadi's father, Voyk
(Vajk), by Sigismund, king of Hungary, as
severance in 1409. It was also in 1446 when
John Hunyadi was elected as the regent-
governor of theKingdom of Hungary by the Diet.
The castle has 3 large areas: the Knight's Hall, the Diet Hall and
the circular stairway. The halls are rectangular in shape and are
decorated with marble. The Diet Hall was used for ceremonies or
formal receptions whilst the Knight's Hall was used for feasts. In
1456, John Hunyadi died and work on the castle has stagnated.
Starting with 1458, new commissions were being undergone to
construct the Matia Wing of the castle. In 1480, work was
completely stopped on the castle and it was recognised as being
one of the biggest and most impressive buildings in Eastern
Europe.
Description

As one of the most important properties of


John Hunyadi, the castle was transformed
during his reign. It became a sumptuous
home, not only a strategically enforced
point. With the passing of the years, the
masters of the castle had modified its look,
adding towers, halls and guest rooms. The
gallery and the keep - the last defense
tower (called "Neboisa" which means
"Don't be afraid" in Serbian language),
which remained unchanged from John
Hunyadi's time, and the Capistrano Tower
(named after the saint, Franciscan monk
from the Battle of Belgrade in 1456) are
some of the most significant parts of the
construction.
Other significant parts of the building are the Knights' Hall (a
great reception hall), the Club Tower, the White bastion,
which served as a food storage room, and the Diet Hall, on
whose walls medallions are painted (among them there are
the portraits of Matei Basarab, ruler from Wallachia,
andVasile Lupu, ruler of Moldavia). In the wing of the castle
called the Mantle, a painting can be seen which portrays the
legend of the raven from which the name of the descendants
of John Hunyadi, Corvinus came.
Rnov Citadel
Rnov Citadel (Romanian: Cetatea
Rnov, German: Rosenauer Burg) is
a historic monument and landmark
in Romania. It is situated
in Rnov, Braov County, in the
immediate vicinity of Braov.
The citadel was built as part of a defence system
for the Transylvanian villages exposed to
outside invasions. A decisive aspect for building
the citadel on the actual location was the route of
the invading armies which were coming from
the Bran pass and were passing through Rnov,
on their way to Burzenland.
The only chance of survival
for the inhabitants of the
area, inclusively
from Cristian and Ghimbav,
was the refuge inside the
citadel. Compelled to stay
there for decades, the
people of Rnov and the
nearby villages turned the
fortification into a dwelling
The feudal art museum

Inside the citadel there is


a museum which briefly presents
slices from the local history, the
area's habits and crafts, and also
gathers pieces and weapons from
the inhabitants past. The
exhibition contains the following
sections: document photocopies,
weapons, tools, stamps and
period objects
The end!