This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Table of Contents
• • • • • • • Defining Scribd Who is Scott Orn? Best Ideas Distribution Greater Repeat Usage Revenue Generating Services Feature Requests
• Growth Initiatives
• Corporate • Appendix
• Scribd is an easy way to share documents on the Web. • Key Assets • Data – 200k+ docs uploaded daily • Technical – 1) Flash Based Document Reader and 2) Storage Scalability • Capital - $3.5M is a healthy Series A • Challenges • Scribd Brand – Well known in Tech community but needs broader recognition. • Reach – Must improve on 100k user base • Community – Scribd needs to court Developer Community – Applications that can mine, edit and apply Scribd’s data is paramount. • Goal – Become the dominant document management provider on the web!
Who is This Guy? – Scott Orn
• Kellogg MBA, Berkeley BS, & CFA • Venture Associate - Lighthouse Capital Partners (3 Yrs.) • M&A Analyst – Hambrecht & Quist (3 Yrs.) • R&D Strategy Associate – Becton Dickinson (Summer 06’) • 1st Place Kellogg Business Plan Competition – Crux – Hangover Mitigation Drink
• Slide 18 – Create Printing Marketplace • Slide 9 – Widgetize with “Recommendations” & “Docs Like Yours” • Slide 14 – Scribd-Casts • Slide 10 – eCommerce – Vendors & Retailers Need help with Image & Product Details Distribution • Slide 15 – Highlight Scribd User Base More • Slide 19 – Sell Scribd Virtual Goods
2. Growth Initiatives
Growth Initiatives Should be Categorized into 3 Areas
Distribution Greater Repeat Usage Revenue Generating Services
1. Widgetize 2. Partnerships lead to becoming a standard 3. Court Developers
1. Scribd-Casts 2. Professional Content 3. Highlight User Base
1.eCommerce Initiatives a. Gifts b. Consumer Goods 2.Viral Marketing 3.App Distribution
Proliferate Widgets: “Scribd Recommends…”
Opportunity: Widgets that dynamically recommend Scribd documents based on web page content or user preferences/behavior.
Action: 1) Build Widget, 2) Develop ability to scrape page and actively interpret content, 3) Compare page content to Scribd document database, and 4) Populate distributed widget with appropriate recommendations. Benefits: • Awareness: Widgets will greatly improve Scribd visibility • Repeat Users: Consumers will be able to interact with Scribd documents across a distributed mediums.
Partner with eCommerce Leaders to Improve Distribution
Opportunity: Smaller web vendors have no way of “widget-tizing” their product images. Action: 1) Promote image/product management program and 2) Build Scribd Widget capabilities to include vendor track back. Benefits: • Different Customer Segment: Small business owners probably currently unaware of Scribd. • Financial: Take an affiliate commission on the track back.
Empower Sites by Handling Complex Documents
Opportunity: Some sites are not making documents accessible, presumably because of the complexity and storage costs of document management. Action: A) Identify 5 – 10 pilot candidates, B) Work with sites and their key document repositories Benefits: • Awareness: Partnering with big vertical players will build Scribd’s brand with different audiences. • Distribution: Helps toward goal of becoming de facto document management provider on the web. • Financial: May be little initial monetary gain but getting a piece of revenue generated by ads later is possible.
Become Front-End for FedEx Kinko’s & Others
Opportunity: Kinko's convoluted document submission process could be costing them customers. Action:1) Simplify document submission process using Scribd 2) Construct “Send to Kinko's” button with localization capabilities. Benefits: • Partner: a) Less customers abandon a print job and b) IT headcount devoted can be reduced. • Distribution: Scribd becomes embedded in key printing accounts. • Awareness: Kinko's’ customers are now aware of Scribd.
b. Greater Usage
Opportunity: Turn Scribd content in “Podcasts” via direct conduit into iTunes & Songbird. Action: Use existing Scribd automated document “Reader” but package the file into a podcast suitable for download and consumption. • Attempt to include more voice inflection and different “reading” voices. Benefits: • Repeat Users: Allows customers to be able to “time shift” document review or even pleasure reading. • Buzz: Piggybacking on big platforms helps raise awareness and legitimize Scribd. • Financial: Another channel for document consumption is created. Potentially able to charge down the road.
Highlight Scribd User Base
Opportunity: Users are producing thousands of documents per day. Take advantage of it. Action: 1) Develop outbound service like DailyLit, 2) Develop and Highlight High Profile Users and 3) Brand Channels – aka “Geek Squad”, “Deep Thoughts,” “Law Review” and “Academia” Benefits: • Repeat Users: Community exposure is a very powerful incentive. • Different Customer Segment: Make it easier for other segments to feel like they belong. • Financial: More order and branding sets the stage for subscriptions.
Incorporate Professional Content into Scribd
Opportunity: Serialized visual content will get people checking Scribd everyday. Action: Build service that let’s artists, writer’s and bloggers distribute daily content through Scribd branded emails, homepage highlights or even channels. Benefits: • Awareness: Serialized content will help reach new customers. Forwarding Scribd content becomes more likely. • Repeat Users: Building a consumer content service brings more traffic (and more documents) to Scribd. • Buzz: Help the artist community harness Scribd, rather than seeing it as a copyright threat. • Financial: Ads are appropriate on high value content. Generous Rev-Share deals with artists will encourage greater artist adoption.
c. Revenue Generating Services
Facilitate Printing Marketplace
Opportunity: Build relationships with printers, big and small, and create competitive printing marketplace. Action:1) Recruit Printers, 2) Build mechanism for localization (Zip code required, etc) and 3) Negotiate commission structure and fulfillment timelines • Power players drive even more volume. • Little guys can be found and don’t need expensive document submission system. Benefits: • Financial: a) Slotting fees based on order of printers, and b) Rev-Share on print jobs. • Customers: a) Added fulfillment capabilities and b) Customers benefit from Scribd’s mass bargaining power.
Gifts: “Best of Scribd” - Resell as limited edition gifts
Opportunity: Virtual Goods are getting huge. Resell community’s favorite quotes and stories. Action:1) Build simple eCommerce operation or 2) Sign Bus Dev deal with Facebook to be incorporated into their gifts operation. 3) Develop Branded Gift Offerings: a) Fortune Cookies, b) Word to the Wise, c) Disses, etc Benefits:
• Financial: Fantastic way to increase Avg. Rev per Customer. Cost structure could be almost completely variable so immediate contribution. • Awareness: Another reason to pay attention to Scribd – for the Press and for the Community
40 gifts means her friends spent $40 in only a few months.
Scribd’s Favorites should be in Facebook’s gift store
Bring Scribd-style expression to eCommerce gift cards
Opportunity: Cards at major eCommerce sites like Amazon are boring.
Action: 1) Build image and phrase transfer capabilities & 2) Sign Rev Share Deal
• Printing the card will require some logistical improvements at partners. • Bigger players may be unwilling to experiment so court 2nd players too. • Do it for free if you must, just to get the distribution. • Danger they will steal the idea and just build that feature.
• Distribution: Huge audience is exposed to the joys of Scribd expression. • Buzz: All it takes is a couple witty, community generated phrases. • Financial: Currently, it’s impossible to charge for boring text card, however Scribd Card creates upsell opportunity with partners participating.
Online Data Backup Market is Huge and Growing
Opportunity: Big players, Seagate and EMC, have made acquisitions but an ad supported model could have legs. Action: 1) Build industrial strength version of Scribd (Pro), 2) Continue to give the service away, 3) Provide Ads or Fee for Opt Out (i.e. Ning), and 4) Rely on reseller channel – aka Amazon & VeriSign, and other web properties. Benefits: • Financial: Difficult Market to compete in but worth looking at. • Repeat Users: Ties consumers to Scribd
Recommend Scribd treads slowly in this market.
Financial & Medical Records must be Managed
Opportunity: Incredibly sensitive Action: Build service that let’s artists and bloggers distribute daily content through Scribd branded emails, homepage highlights or even channels. Benefits: • Awareness: Serialized content will help reach new customers. Forwarding Scribd content becomes more likely. • Repeat Users: Building a consumer content service brings more traffic (and more documents) to Scribd. • Buzz: Help the artist community harness Scribd, rather than seeing it as a copyright threat. • Financial: Ads are appropriate on high value content. Generous Rev-Share deals
3. Corporate Initiatives
Needs: • Desktop Uploader – need drag and drop functionality on the desktop so files can be uploaded in background. • Marketing Front-End - needs to be adjusted towards “Testimonials”, “How to Scribd” and “Scribd is Great for…”
• Scribd is a leader in pure document content… • …However, Google, Adobe and Microsoft have all launched online document applications • While Revenue is important, Distribution is paramount. • Business Development deals should focus on distribution • Think of Scribd as a standard – What can you build on top of Scribd? • How can you improve the accessibility and quality of the data for 3rd party developers?
1. Keepsakes Concept – Develop branded service to protect the things that matter. 2. Blog Comments – Capture and follow around 3. Graffiti partnership – take Graffiti out of Facebook. 4. Ning
Become the Document Management Backbone of High Profile, Document Centric Sites
Opportunity: High Profile sites are currently not using Scribd. Action: Actively court these sites
Vanilla Pay for Service & Storage Model
Opportunity: Self Explanatory