This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
The Ship Stability Research Centre, Department of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, the Universities of Glasgow and Strathclyde, Glasgow, Scotland, UK And Safety at Sea Ltd., Glasgow
Human-Environment Local Interactions and Operations Simulation Helios Is an O.R. System Helios Is an Omni-functional System
An Tour of Helios
It started off as a pedestrian simulation tool but has subsequently been extended to address some more problems such as :
Fire Risk Assessment
•Creation of data input for fire simulation. •Fire & people co-simulation.
IMO Circ. 1033 Evaluation
Ballasting Decision Support
Representation and Processing of Subdivisions and Compartment Definitions
Recognition of Planar Loops
Parametric Geometry Creation
Automatic Structured Panelization
Conversion to Unstructured Points to Surface (used in meshing for CFD)
GA-Server : The optimization manager. GA-Client : Runs the worker processes, serves as middleware.
Multi-objective optimization using NSGA2
Visibility Coverage Analysis
APPLICATIONS: •Identifying optimum location of guiding signs, TV screens, sprinklers, sensor radio nodes etc., also evaluating and ranking positions of commercial adverts. •Deciding positions of guards, crew, and surveillance cameras. •Analyse the positioning of emergency signs for scenarios with smoke, in which maximum visible distance significantly reduced. •Design of deck-plans with the objective of its amenability to surveillance with minimum resource.
Multi-sensor Fusion (Envisioned but not (yet) funded)
Fusion of the monitored/sensed Data as Scalar or Vector fields. Field visualization for situational awareness. Tracking occupants using location and identity aware tags Front end for command/control and announcement systems (localized commands and announcements, 3d audio).
Planning of port Operations by Simulation
Arrival Trailer Operations Unloading Loading Customs
•Event Driven System •Processes Modelled using Tasks and Events. •Event Handlers assign/modify tasks of mobile entities. •Automatic, regular expression based and event driven path assignment
Modelling Primitives :Events
1. A vehicle entering or leaving a road. 2. A vehicle entering or leaving an annotated region. 3. A road becoming occupied, choc-a-bloc full, or empty. 4. A vehicle parking or becoming stagnant. 5. A timer event (scheduled to happen at a certain time or after a certain interval). 6. A periodic timer event (an event that is triggered every so many seconds). 7. Mouse click event at a higher level of abstraction (e.g. with the context of a point in the 3d model space that has been pointed to while clicking, or the object that has been clicked on)
Modelling Primitives: Tasks for Vehicles
• • • • • • • • • • • • Road Name Destination Region Regular Path Expression Arbitrary Script in Current Context Attach trailer Detach Trailer Run Over (not really) Annihilate Self Stop Wait Stop Until Event Teleport
We would have liked to use higher level tasks with > 2DOF kinematic planning : MURRAY, M.; SASTRY, S. (1993), Non-Holonomic motion planning: Steering using sinusoids, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 38(5) 1993, pp. 700-716
Modelling Primitives: Roads, Lanes, Manoeuvres
Environment can be modelled in Helios, but AutoCAD can be used for fine tuning.
Simulation of Trailer Operations
Automatically produces 3D from 2D fairly accurately
Automatic Conversion of GA Drawing Spatial
GA Drawing Database
Modelling simulation environment automatically from CAD drawings
Triangulation creates a cellular topology of CAD drawings.
The dual graph of the triangulation is used for path planning. A triangular cell maps to a node in the plan graph. A pair of nodes have an edge between them when they have share a side.
Simulation environment from CAD drawings (an example)
An agent always seeks the farthest visible node on its itinerary. Simulation
By triangulation, an agent always knows its current node.
Concept initially tested with FLUENT
∂z 2 ∂z 2 Minimize the integral ∫∫ + dA ∂x ∂y D within the projected domain
Used the Ritz method of variational optimization with unstructured finite elements
Helios : The Software Architecture
• • • • • The core of Helios is a DLLs written in C++ 600+ commands C++ API to use the DLL Persistent sessions The user interface is a Tcl script that dynamically loads the Helios DLL and invokes its exported functions.
This is probably a technological solution to development of an integrated software with shared IP.
GUI 1 GUI 2 HTML Templates Scripts
OpenCASCADE Oracle Berkeley DB GA Converter Open Scene Graph Remote Control Unstructured Mesh Reader Helios Core
Peaceful co-existence of GPL,QPL and proprietary codes. (Not 100% sure though, an FSF lawyer can tell better).
• Recognition of enclosed space type by shape signatures. • Symbol recognition in line drawings by affine invariant matching and geometric hashing. • Event generation from spatial probability density functions. • Regular expressions based path planning on labelled networks. • Animation of 3D smoothed particle hydrodynamics. • Location aware fault trees. • Bayesian Network (poly-tree only so far). • Multidimensional linear regression.
Possible Future Work
• A more comprehensive behavioural model. • Non-holonomic motion planning. • Inclusion of more practical operational knowledge. • Understanding of peculiarities of human behaviour. • Behaviour under crisis conditions (panic etc.) • Panelization for arbitrary trim/heel etc. • Automated Volume meshing for RANSE. • More solutions.