This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Railroad as Resistance
“There was one of the two things I had a right to,liberty or death. If I could not have one, I would have the other. For no man should take me alive. I should fight for my liberty as long as my strength last.”
What was the railroad?
• a vast network of people who helped runaway slaves escape to north • It was not run by just a single person • As many as 100k A.As escaped along it
What were Conductors?
• person who helped out on the underground railroad • lead slaves to freedom. • Harriet Tubman
What were stations?
• “safe houses” where “runaways” knew that could be safely hidden • homes or barns of Quakers or other Christians • Levi Coffin was one of the most famous conductors.
– He helped lead 3,000 people to freedom
What was some other lingo?
• Runaways were “packages” or “hams” • “follow the drinking gourde” which meant to follow the big dipper • Runaways knew that “dead trees would point the way”
– this meant moss grew on the north side of dead trees