INTRODUCTION IMPORTANCE FORMS OF N-V COMMUNICATION SIGN LANGUAGE SOUND/AUDIO SIGNALS BODY LANGUAGE PARA LANGUAGE STEPS TO IMPROVE N-V COMMUNICATION
y Non verbal communication is
non-word human responses (such as gestures, facial expressions) and the perceived characteristics of the environment through which human verbal and non verbal messages are transmitted. y It is also called as silent language.
y N-V Communication stands for the innermost, instinctual form
of human communication. y Study of nonverbal communication has focused on face-to-face interaction.
y According to various researchers
communication researcher Mehrabian found that only 7% of a message·s effect are carried by words listeners receive the other 93% through non -verbal means. y Birdwhistell suggested that spoken words account for not more than 30-35% of all our social interactions.
FORMS OF N-V COMMUNICATION
y SIGN LANGUAGE y AUDIO/SOUND SIGNALS y BODYLANGUAGE
-FACIAL EXPRESSION -POSTURE -GESTURES y PARA LANGUAGE -VOICE -VERBAL INTONATION
y SIGN LANGUAGE: ´A picture is worth a thousand wordsµ. y Visual signs:
-Posters -Drawings -Photographs -Cartoons -Statues
y Since the beginning of civilization sound signals have been
used to send messages. y Different kinds of sounds convey different messages -Fire alarm -Accident alarm -Assault alarm -VIP motorcade alarm
y Body plays the most important
role in communication. The study of body language is known as kinesics. ¶Kinesics· means ¶Body Movement. -Forward and backward movements -Vertical movements -Side-to-Side movements
y Posture y Facial expression y Gestures y Eye contact y Tactile communication
-Communication through Touch y Style of dress
y Para means ¶Like· hence Para language is ¶Like language·. y Para language involves ¶how of a speaker·s voice or the way
in which he speaks·. - Voice -Verbal intonation -Silence and Time -Word stress
STEPS TO IMPROVE N-V COMMUNICATION
y Inculcate positive Body Sport. y Look at the receiver. y Try to put yourself in the other
person·s shoes, consider the feelings of the receiver. y Ensure the receiver has a chance to comment or ask questions.
y BUSINESS COMMUNICATION- RC BHATIA. y ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOUR-STEPHEN ROBBINS. y WIKIPEDIA.
PONDICHERRY CENTRAL UNIVERSITY
Presented by Chaithanya Laxmi Nithin Sandesh Subodh