You are on page 1of 8

House Style

In my student magazine, I had one font, Arial for the masthead, titles, contents etc. and I didnt follow any colour scheme. Moreover, as I progressed towards the final product, I began to understand the concept of a house style. I used a particular font for my masthead and important headings, a particular font for other types of text and a colour scheme that follows my magazine the whole way through. This shows that I have a clear and recognisable house style, showing how I have progressed from having little knowledge to clearly and concisely following a house style throughout my whole magazine.

Although my school magazines cover image was very clear and defined, the photo editing was very amateur and unprofessional. In progression to the full product, I developed my skills using Photoshop. I have extended my understanding in the use of photo editing and learnt and experimented with more advanced effects than brightness and contrast. For example: I used Chalk and Charcoal and Fresco frequently in my magazine. This creates a more creative and advanced image.

Photo Editing

I am more aware of typography than in the student magazine; I used one text throughout the whole magazine just varying in size. It was a very plain and boring font. Nevertheless, this normal font carried on through to my music magazine in the text such as the double page spread and contents, however I became much more aware that the masthead needed to be different to make it aesthetically pleasing and I became more aware of the importance of colour, size and effects such as Stroke when using a plain font.

Typography

Language Features
In the student magazine, I was unaware of puff words; buzz words and persuasive language features. Through research and studying English Language on top of Media Studies, I began to understand and develop my language to relate to the target audience. For example, I used slang language and deviant spelling to relate to the appropriate target age group.

Forms and Conventions


In my progression from my preliminary task and the main task I think one thing I learnt in particular is how to incorporate forms and conventions and subvert them in the correct proportion. This is evident in the structure and layout of my preliminary task and my final outcome. For example, in the school magazine, I chose to make the masthead diagonal. As you can see in the process of producing my music magazine, I experimented with making the masthead slanted however; I quickly realised and learnt that this is a convention that is necessary to any magazine. This shows the progression of my knowledge on conventions of a magazine.

Brand Identity
I think my final product has much more of a stronger brand identity in comparison with the school magazine. I think I have done this through the use of a house style and the more developed research. The main task allowed room for feedback and constructive criticism to produce a more professional and In the student magazine, I was unaware of how to appeal to a specific target audience and their representation. Through masses of in-depth research and experimentation, I became to understand and determine aspects that led to building up a representation for my magazine. Some of these aspects include signs and semiotics, semantic field etc.

Overall, I think it is massively clear that I have advanced in my ability and skills in the progression from my preliminary task to my final product. I am much more pleased with my final product, my preliminary task introduced me to the essential skills and understanding I needed to produce a successful music magazine.