This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
By: Josee and Alex M.
What was Dieppe?
• Dieppe was an attempt at viewing how strong the allies were against the axis powers and how powerful the Canadians were without no real-time war experience and how strong the Germans defenses we’re. The Germans had control over France, And England wanted to attack on Dieppe which was a port in France. England Had their own army who had fought before, but they also had the Canadians who had been in training for three years. Although the Canadians had no real fighting experiences they still had three years of tough and vigorous training to support them. The English however had real war experiences but they believed that with all the training the Canadians got they could win the battle in no time.
Death, Capture and Injury toll in relation
• Of the 4,963 Canadians that fought in Dieppe… • 907 died (More than two times the size of St. Francis) • 1,154 were injured (One out of ten people in Rockland) • 1,394 were captured ( About one out of every two people in Casselman, Ontario)
Why did the Dieppe raid happen?
• Canadian soldiers landed on the beaches of Dieppe. They were participating in Operation Jubilee, an invasion to destroy radar and other military installations. • Other reasons for the Dieppe raid are Britain had been suffering a number of defeats on land and at sea, and Europe and Atlantic were securely in the hands of the Germans. It was hoped that Operation Jubilee demonstrates the growing strength of the Allies, serve as a test run for future reverse invasion of Europe, and take some pressure off the Eastern front. Unfortunately, the great attack was a failure.
Why was Dieppe such a Disaster?
• Dieppe was a disaster because of a combination of inadequate communication, lack of supporting firepower; and in the final hour before the raid, absolute bad luck on the Allies made the Dieppe raid one of their worst conceivable way. This disaster was one that would be left unexplained forever because of the strange bad luck that had been put upon the allies.
What was Learned at Dieppe?
• A lesson that we learned from Dieppe was that we would need specialized naval forces designed for beach assaults, These special Naval forces designed for beach assault is called an LCT flotillas . • Also we learned, if we attack by a frontal surprise on the coast of France we would need heavy fire support from the sea and air, artificial harbors , and a seriously accurate plan of assault.
Conclusion of the Dieppe Raid
• The raid of Dieppe was a unexpected and a severe disaster, however with the lessons learned the allies planned a massive assault known as D-day. The allies eventually win world war II, concluding Germany’s rule over Europe. Although Dieppe was a major loss to the allies it helped them with later battles. The souls of all the soldiers that fought will never be forgotten.