Operating System

 Prepared By:  Group 1:

      

Abdullah Ghayyoor Wajahat Nawaz Shoaib Akram Mohsin Iqbal Mannan Hassan Hafiz Shakeel & Naveed ul Hassan

Contents
 Introduction To Operating System  Types of Operating System  PC Operating Systems

INTRODUCTION
 DEFINITION:
 The main component of system software that:
 Manage hardware devices  Runs application programs  Provide a user interface

Types of Operating Systems
    Real-time operating system Single user/Single tasking OS Single user/Multitasking OS Multi user/Multitasking OS

1-Real-time operating system
    Very fast small OS Built into a device Respond quickly to user input MP3 players, Medical devices

2-Single user/Single tasking OS
     One user works on the system Performs one task at a time MS-DOS and Palm OS Take up little space on disk Run on inexpensive computers

3-Single user/Multitasking OS
    User performs many tasks at once Most common form of OS GUI Example:
 Windows XP and OS X

 Limitations:
 Increased size  Require expensive computers  Tend to be complex

4-Multi user/Multitasking OS
 Many users connect to one computer  Resources to users should be sufficient  Examples:
 UNIX  Linux  Mainframe Operating Systems

 Advantage:
 Maintenance can be easy

 Limitations:
 Network Connection Is Essential

4-Multi user/Multitasking OS

PC Operating Systems
    Microsoft Windows is the most popular Installed more than other OS combined Installed on about 95% of computers Apple and Linux represent the other 5%

PC Operating Systems
 Example:
       DOS Windows NT Windows 9x Windows 2000 Windows XP UNIX Linux

DOS
    Disk Operating System Two versions reigned as desktop OS PC DOS MS DOS

Advantage of DOS
    Simplicity Small size Fast Business applications

Disadvantage
    Single user single tasking OS Command line interface Also limited in amount of RAM and storage No support for networking

Windows NT
 Designed for a powerful system  Very stable  Windows NT Workstation:
 Single user multi tasking OS

 Windows NT Server:
 Multi user multi tasking OS  Network operating system

Windows 9x
      95, 98, and Millennium Edition (Me) Very pretty not stable OS Still found in large corporations 95 introduced the Start button 98 introduced active desktop Me improved multimedia software

Windows 2000
    Look of 9x with NT stability Optimized for office and developers Application software ran very well Entertainment software ran very poorly

Windows XP
    Stands for “eXPerience” Different look from 2000 in GUI New user interface Many different versions i.e.
     Windows XP Home Edition Windows XP Professional Windows XP Media Center Edition Windows XP Tablet PC Edition Windows XP 64-bit Edition

Features of Windows XP
    Digital multimedia support was enhanced Communications was enhanced Mobile computing became a priority IMPORTANCE:  Windows XP is known for its improved stability and efficiency over the 9X versions of the Microsoft Windows. (Ref:a)

UNIX
    Runs on all computer types Very stable and fast Command-line interface Can cost thousands of dollars

(Ref:b)

Linux
    Free or inexpensive version of UNIX Very stable and fast Most flavors are open source X Windows GUI
 Command line interface is available (Ref:c)

Linux Desktop

Refrences:
 (Ref:a)
 ^”Microsoft announces Windows XP and Oficef XP”.

 (Ref:b)  “The Creation of the UNIX: Operating
system”

Refrences
 (Ref:c)
 ^LINUX-watch. com- IDC Q1 2007 report

The End

Sign up to vote on this title
UsefulNot useful