This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
– It is a natural park under protection since 1987. • Where is it? – It is situated in 50 km at the north-west of Barcelona, between Anoia, Baix Llobregat and Bages.
• Plant life: – There are 1250 kinds of plants in Montserrat. – The dominant vegetations is the holm oak forests with laurustinus, very typical in the Mediterranean
• Wild life: – There’s a great variety of animals. – The most visible ones are the wood pigeon, the thrush, hawks, squirrels, wild goat, wild boar and the salamander, among others.
Santa Maria de Montserrat is a Benedictine abbey located on the mountain of Montserrat, in Monistrol de Montserrat, in Catalonia, Spain. It hosts the Virgin of Montserrat, and the Publicacions de l'Abadia de Montserrat, a publishing house, one of the oldest presses in the world still running, with its first book published in 1499.
The monastery is Catalonia's most important religious retreat and groups of young people from Barcelona. Virgin of Montserrat (the black virgin), is Catalonia's favourite saint, and is located in the sanctuary of the Mare de Deu de Montserrat. The Escolania, Montserrat’s Boys’ Choir is one of the oldest in Europe, and performs during religious ceremonies and communal prayers in the basilica.
The Basilica houses a museum with Montserrat, whose prominent works of art by manyname means serrated mountain, is 48
kilometres sculptors including painters and(approx 30 miles) west of Barcelona, and can be
reached by road, train or cable car. works by El Greco, Dalí, Picasso and At 1236 metres (4055 ft) above the valley floor, Montserrat is more. Montserrat's highest
the Sant point of the be rean point,highest Jeroni, can Catalan lowlands, and stands central to
the most populated cultural and important role in thepart of Catalonia. The stone monolith is ideally a footpath from the life ached bylocated to play spiritualtop of Catalonia.
station of the funicular Sant Jeroni.
From Sant Joan, almost all of Catalonia can be seen, and on a clear day the island of Majorca is visible.
The Spanish Civil War saw the violent suppression of the Abbey of Montserrat. Of the 278 priests and 583 religious men and women
killed in Catalonia by Republican forces, 22 were monks of the
Abbey of Montserrat. During Franco's rule Santa Maria de Montserrat was seen as a place of refuge for scholars, artists, politicians and students; Franco's men were often waiting for wanted people a few miles down the road.
• Can Cases Park is in the northwest of Martorell and occupies an area of 22 hectares. • The park is divided into several areas with facilities for leisure activities (barbecues, playgrounds, etc.) and other pure forest with 20 hectares of forest declared a public utility.
• The district Torrent dels Llops in Martorell through the forest park of Can Cases. • It’s also a good place to observe the vegetation, with woods, and preserved wildilfewith over 70 species of birds and 30 species of butterflies, amphibians and reptilians well as some typical Mediterranean environments.
• In this park we can do a lot of activities and play all sports. • In family, with friends, with the high school... • We can also see some different places and some different spaces.
• In Can Cases there are different places. • We can found: Barbecues zone, where people have lunch when there’re nice days, usually in spring. In summer, we can’t use them. Baby parks. Young people use to go with their parents and play there. The natural places. We can see a river, a very big forest and some different roads.
There are some roads which arrive to other near villages, like St. Esteve Sesrovires. Parkings Sport zones: families or friends normally go down the park and play basketball or football. Old people play bowls too. People use to running, bicycling or walking. In summer it’s common see a lot of people practicing sport or having a good time with friends or family.