We proudly present an interview with
. ASwedish ashion brand that by designing simple andunctional clothes, aims to create a modern ramework orindividuality.
1. Please shortly tell us about the history of AcneJeans.
Acne started as a creative collective in 1996, with ourcreative individuals who each had a dierent eld oexpertise. With time the original company grew ourindividual arms; Acne Film, Acne Digital, Acne Creativeand, o course, Acne Jeans. The concept has always beento combine art and industry in a manner which elt bothvisionary and logical, and this spirit is still what drives ustoday.
2. Who is your target group and what are their va-lues?
The Acne Jeans customer is someone who eels attunedto the culture industries, whether this is as a consumer oras a producer. Our customer has high demands on whatthey consume, and always challenge us to create the bestpossible product.
3. You do not market Acne through traditional ad-vertising, please let us know why?
At the very beginning we simply couldn’t aord to, andnow we eel that we preer to invest in new products, suchas Acne Paper, rather advertise in the traditional manner.Seeing as we’re still growing in every respect, this meansprioritising, which right now equals no advertising.
4. Do you reach your target group without traditionaladvertising?
5. Your collections are the core of your business. Arethey also important for your communication?
We are absolutely design driven in every respect. Theinspiration that the design team use each season pushesthe whole company orward. Through the collections weare always exposed to new creative reerences, so-mething which in turn also, both directly and indirectly,infuences the way we choose to communicate the collec-tions themselves. In this sense we would like to think thatwe always push onwards, never standing still.
6. Are your products an important part of the brandexperience?
The products that we make are at the heart o AcneJeans. Without products that refect the high standardsthat we have, ‘Acne Jeans’ would be a mere veneer wit-hout a solid base.
7. How important is design, innovation and creativity?
Vision, ambition, innovation and creativity are the liebloodo the whole Acne creative collective, and the reasonwe continue to produce all rom jeans to a high ashionmagazine.
8. Tell us something about your magazine, Acnepaper.
Through Acne Paper we want to share the multitude opeople, places and cultural currents that inspire us. Herewe want to invite our customers into a world o fair andglamour as well as a world o subtleties and refection, andsomehow bridge the gap between history and the present.
9. Are the Acne studios an important part of yourcommunication? What are the key ingredients?
Our Acne Studios are an extension o the Acne concept,and a way to invite the customer to the ’Acne world’. Wewant the customer to eel amiliar and comortable, whilststill oer a taste o something new and unexpected.
10. You do a lot of different events and installations.One recent example is the shop swap with BrownsFocus. Please let us know something about yourthoughts and your objectives.
The Browns Focus shop swap started as a project among-st riends, and developed into something quite spectacularwith a lie o its own. As with everything else that we dowe wanted to push the boundaries o what to expect roma clothing brand. Retailing today means being intrepidand earless, and to always aim to give more back to thecustomer, whether that means sharing a good secret, aswith Acne Paper, or giving a struggling artist a helpinghand, as with our gallery space ‘Vita Valvet’, or providingsomething totally unexpected as with our shop swap.
11. Please let us know what is happening in the nearfuture?
We have several! For s/s 07 we have collaborated withTretorn to produce two sneaker styles that we hope will beuniversally loved (they have already created a minor ‘must-have’ renzy here at the oce!), and in the near uturewe will nally open a webshop. On top o this we haveseveral ‘real’ shops opening soon, the closest one beingthe Gothenburg Acne Studio, which will open with a bangthe 29/11.