As Low as 59
with paid subscription
Established 1884THURSDAY, June 14, 2012
Greater Mercer CountyCommunity Calendar
Ft Recovery Harvest Jubilee Ambassador & Fort Site Parks
18th Annual Cruise In/Car ShowMarket St - Rockford
Red Cross Kart Racing “The Cooper Cup”Ft. Recovery Jubilee- 7:30pm
Rockford Community Days - Rockford
27th Annual Chick Stewart Baseball TournamentShanes Park- Rockford
Zuma Days - Zuma Park, Montezuma
Rockford Community Garage Sales - Rockford
** If you would like to have your event postedin the Greater Mercer County Community Cal-endar, e-mail your information, at least 4 weeksprior to event, to firstname.lastname@example.org.**
Girod’s ConstructionAmish Crew
All Types of ConstructionConcrete & Remodeling Needs
Free Estimates • Leave a message
Furniture & Video(260) 729-5267
Old Walmart Bldg. - Portland
Celebrating the sixtieth anniversar of their ordination or profession this ear are:
Fr. James Bender, C.PP.S.,
85, a nativeof Grasscreek, Ind,, who was ordainedon Ma 18, 1952 at St. Charles Center inCarthagena, Ohio.Fr. Bender served as a missionar toChile and Peru for man of his ears as apriestAfter his ordination he was appointedassistant pastor at St. Agnes Church inDetroit. In 1955, he entered ministr in theC.PP.S. mission in Chile. In Chile, he servedas a hospital chaplain, in parish ministr,and in the leadership of the mission. Hereturned to the U.S. in 1982, then becameassociate pastor of St. Mar Church inGarden Cit, Kan. He also helped withministr to Hispanic people in Clevelandfrom 1983-87.In 1987, Fr. Bender traveled to theC.PP.S. mission in Peru, serving in LaOroa, high in the Andes. He retired in2010, returning to St. Charles Center, wherehe now makes his home.
Br. Gabriel Bridges, C.PP.S
., 79, anative of Cincinnati, who was professedon Jul 1, 1952, at St. Charles Seminar,Carthagena, Ohio.Br. Gabriel has had a variet of ministries in his ears as a brother. Afterhis profession he was the assistant to therector at St. Charles then was sent to Rometo assist in the C.PP.S. Generalate there.In 1959 he returned to the United Statesand went to work for Messenger Press,then owned b the Congregation. He laterserved at Brunnerdale, the Congregation’shigh school seminar in Canton, Ohio, andat St. Charles.In 1969 he was assigned to parishministr, and then served at Sts. Peter andPaul Church in Ottawa, Ohio; and St. Johnthe Baptist Church in Glandorf, Ohio.Other parish ministr assignments includedSt. Joseph Church in East Jordan, Mich.,and St. George Church in Aurora, Ill. Healso ministered to oung people throughreligious education programs at HolRedeemer Parish in New Bremen, Ohio;St. Joseph Church in Wapakoneta, Ohio;and St. John the Baptist Church in Whiting,Ind.In 1993, Br. Gabriel was assigned toCalumet College of St. Joseph, which issponsored b the Missionaries. In laterears, he was also in ministr at theMissionaries’ Sorrowful Mother Shrine inBellevue, Ohio.In 2007, he retired to St. CharlesCenter.
Br. Daniel Eisenman, C.PP.S
., 80,a native of Center Line, Mich., who wasprofessed on Sept. 8, 1952 in Burkettsville,Ohio.Br. Daniel has devoted his life asa religious brother to the support of hisCommunit. After his profession hewas assigned to the Communit’s farmin Burkettsville. He also spent 21 earsrunning the press at the Messenger Press,which was founded b the C.PP.S. at St.Charles Center in Carthagena, Ohio. He hasserved in man support roles at St. Charlesin the past decades. For more than 35 earshe took care of the flowers at St. Charles,and performed man other outdoor tasksthat helped keep the grounds beautiful.
Fr. Richard Riedel, C.PP.S.
, 86, anative of Ellis, Kan., who was ordainedon Ma 18, 1952 at St. Charles Center inCarthagena, Ohio.Fr. Riedel spent man ears in parishministr and in leadership roles with theCongregation.After his ordination he served at St.Cecelia Church in Detroit; St. FrancisChurch in St. Joseph, Mo.; Hol Trinit inColdwater, Ohio; and St. James the Less inColumbus. He was appointed pastor of St.Augustine Church in Rensselaer, Ind., in1970, where he served for 10 ears.In 1980, he became pastor of St. GasparChurch in Rome Cit, Ind. He was namedpastor of Immaculate Conception Churchin Celina, Ohio, in 1982. During thattime he also served in the Congregation’ssenate and was a member of its executivecommittee and personnel director.In 1988, he was named pastor of St.Joseph Church in Daton. He returned toImmaculate Conception, Celina, in 1996 asits senior associate pastor. He retired to St.Charles Center in 2010.Celebrating the fiftieth anniversar of their ordination this ear are:
Fr. George Albers, C.PP.S.,
97, anative of Cincinnati, who was ordainedon June 9, 1962 at St. Charles Center inCarthagena, Ohio.Fr. Albers ministered in parishes,schools and hospitals for man ears.The churches where he served includeSt. Joseph, Hamilton, Ohio; Hol Angels,Daton; Hol Rosar, St. Mars, Ohio;Sacred Heart, Sedalia, Mo.; St. Augustine,Rensselaer, Ind.; Precious Blood, FortWane, Ind.; St. Joseph, Daton; and OurLad of Good Counsel, Cleveland.He was also an instructor at JulienneHigh School in Daton and Saint Joseph’sCollege in Rensselaer. He served as achaplain at Timken Merc Hospital,Canton, Ohio, and St. Joseph Hospital,Fort Wane. He now makes his home at St.Charles Center.
Fr. John Hoying, C.PP.S.,
76, raised inCelina, Ohio, who was ordained on June 9,1962 at St. Charles Seminar, Carthagena,Ohio.Fr. Hoing spent man ears in parishministr. After his ordination, Fr. Hoingserved St. Augustine Church in Minster,Ohio; St. Joseph Church in Wapakoneta,Ohio; and St. Anthon Church in FallsChurch, Va. In 1971, he was appointedassociate pastor of Sts. Peter and PaulChurch in Ottawa, Ohio, where he serveduntil 1977, when he was named associatepastor of St. John the Baptist Church inWhiting, Ind.In 1980, he was named pastor of St.Joseph Church in Star Cit, Ind. He alsoserved as pastor of nearb St. Henr
Missionaries of the Precious Blood celebrate milestones
See MISSIONARIES, Page 16