You are on page 1of 7
hower Express av773re_/IMININO NA iversity Eisen! The Johns Hopkins Uni ILLiad TN: Journal/Book Title: Volume: 34 Issue: 4 Month/Year 1982 Pages: 481-490 Article Author: Blaga, Aleksova Article Tile: Note: Jahrbuch der Call torreichischen Byzantini DF501.03* XVI. Internationaler Byzantinistenkongress, Akten. II.4 Teil Episcopal Basilica at Stobi: excavations and researches, 1970-1981 ik vol. 32, 4 (1982) p. 481-490 WARNING CONCERNING COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS ‘The copyright aw ofthe United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of Boros or ther ereductons of omg materials ‘Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish 2 ‘photocopy or other reproduction. One ofthese specified conditions is that the photocopy or eprodution isnot to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research". Ifa user makes 2 roquest for, of later uses, a photocopy oF reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use", that user may be liable for copyright infringement This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept 2 copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law. Patron Information Name: Nathan Dennis Username: ndennis2 Status: Graduate Department: History of Art Email nathan.s.dennis@gmail.com Delivery Method: Deliver Electronically Transaction # 1177378 BLAGA ALEKSOVA EPISCOPAL BASILICA AT STOBL Excavations and Researches 1970— 1981 With one plate Stobi ie a Hellenistic, Roman and carly Byzantine city. It Lies at the juncture of tvo important rivers, the Brigon and the Axius, today known as the Crna an¢ Vardar, It lies ca. 150 km north-west of hessaloniki in Yugoslavian Macedonia, and oceupied a position of great military and commercial in- portance in the ancient world. The ancient city, on the left bank of the River Crna where ib flows into the Vardar, was identified as Stobi by J.G.Hahn and L.Heazey in 1858 and 1861, In 1902 there were brief investi~ gations by A.Prenerstein and N.Vulich. During World War T Ger- man soldiere excavated a few buildings. From 1924 to 1940 the National Nuseum of Helgrad conducted excavations at Stobi. During 1950-1962 there were also excavations and conservations by Yugoslavian scholars. The excavations and investigations during thig time uncovered a number of buildings of the 4th to 6th centuries 4.D., the Theater and some structures of earliers phases at the city. ‘the joint Yugoslav-American Stobi Exacavation Project (National Yuseum of Mtov Voles, the University of Texas at Austin and Boston University) began in 1970 and has continued ‘to 1979 with the excavation and investigation. During 1981 ‘there were also excavations and conservations by Yugoslavian scholars. The excavations and researches have increased our knowledge of the history of Stodi from the 3th century B.C, to the late 6th century A.D. ‘The Episcopal Basilica at Stobi was erected on a large artificial terrace built up to the east of the Via Sacra, op- posite the semicircular Court, The Basilica was clearly the dominant architectural feature at least of the western half of the city during the early Christian period. The Basilica was dedicated by Bishop Philip, as is seen from an inscription on ‘the lintel of one of its principal doorways. Map of Wacedonia and durrounding regions. Stobi lies nortti of the Via Bgnatia. Drawing by B.Davis. the Bpiseopal Basilica is of Hellenistic typé with a nave ahd two aislegasemicireular protruding apae containing a crypt or eonfesaio, probably with three window, a narthex, galleries above the aisles and probably also over the narthex. The bréad nave was separated from the aisles by a collonade ani a mul~ Toned sereen on each side. Te abo was an elaborately-carved marble structure near the south stylobate ca.6,10m distant: fron the chancel soreen, The existence of the molded base for the ‘chancel sereen has been kmown since the excavations. of 1916-1918. West of the narthex vas an atrium of more or less