You are on page 1of 25

Averting the climate crisis

Al Gore 2006-06-27
https://www.ted.com/talks/al_gore_averting_the_climate_crisis

Pollykann - A powerful video player (app) for learning languages provided technical support for the subtitles.
本字幕由【小鹦看看】- 用了会后悔,不用更后悔的外语学习App,提供技术支持。
http://www.pollykann.com

Thank you so much, Chris.

And it's truly a great honor to have the opportunity


非常谢谢,克里斯。的确非常荣幸

to come to this stage twice; I'm extremely grateful.


能有第二次站在这个台上的机会,我真是非常感激。

I have been blown away by this conference,


这个会议真是让我感到惊叹不已,我还要谢谢你们留下的

and I want to thank all of you for the many nice comments
关于我上次演讲的精彩评论

about what I had to say the other night.

And I say that sincerely,


我是非常真诚的,部分原因是因为--(模拟呜咽)--我的确非常需要!(笑声)

partly because (Mock sob)

I need that.

(Laughter)
我是非常真诚的,部分原因是因为--(模拟呜咽)--我的确非常需要!(笑声)

Put yourselves in my position.

(Laughter)
你设身处地为我想想!

I flew on Air Force Two for eight years.


我坐了8年的空军二号。

(Laughter)

Now I have to take off my shoes or boots to get on an airplane!


不过现在上飞机前我则要脱掉我的鞋子

(Laughter)

(Applause)
(笑声)(掌声)
I'll tell you one quick story

to illustrate what that's been like for me.


我给你讲个小故事来形容我现在是什么样的

(Laughter)

It's a true story -- every bit of this is true.


这是个真实的故事--每一点都是如此。

Soon after Tipper and I left the -- (Mock sob) White House --
就在我和Tipper(戈尔妻子)离开白宫稍后不久 --(模拟呜咽) --(笑声)

(Laughter)

we were driving from our home in Nashville to a little farm we have


我们驱车从纳什维尔的家开到

50 miles east of Nashville.


我们在东边50里外的一个小农场--

Driving ourselves.

(Laughter)
自己开车

I know it sounds like


a little thing to you, but --

(Laughter)
我知道这对你们来说是小事一桩,但是 --(笑声)--

I looked in the rear-view mirror


正当我看着后视镜的时候,突然感到非常惊奇。

and all of a sudden it just hit me.

There was no motorcade back there.

(Laughter)
后面竟然没有车队。

You've heard of phantom limb pain?

(Laughter)
你们听过幻肢痛么?

This was a rented Ford Taurus.


这辆福特Taurus是租来的,这时刚好是晚饭的时候

(Laughter)

It was dinnertime,

and we started looking for a place to eat.


我们就开始找吃饭的地方

We were on I-40.

We got to Exit 238, Lebanon, Tennessee.


我们在40号洲际公路上,要在238出口下到田纳西州的黎巴嫩市

We got off the exit, we found a Shoney's restaurant.


我们从出口下来,开始寻找一家--我们找到了Shoney餐馆。
Low-cost family restaurant chain, for those of you who don't know it.
你们有些人也许不知道,这是家低成本的家庭连锁餐厅

We went in and sat down at the booth, and the waitress came over,
我们走进去后坐在小亭子里,女服务员也走了过来。

made a big commotion over Tipper.

(Laughter)
我跟Tipper引起了一阵骚动。(笑声)

She took our order, and then went to the couple in the booth next to us,
她写单后走到我们旁边亭子里的一对情侣边,

and she lowered her voice so much,

I had to really strain to hear what she was saying.


然后她的声音变得非常小以至于我要竖起耳朵才能听到她在说什么

And she said "Yes, that's former Vice President Al Gore


接着她说”是的,他们就是前副总统艾尔·戈尔和他的妻子Tipper。“

and his wife, Tipper."

And the man said,

"He's come down a long way, hasn't he?"

(Laughter)
那个男的接着说,“他已经非常努力了,不是吗?“

(Applause)
There's been kind of a series of epiphanies.
已经算是有些显灵了。

(Laughter)

The very next day, continuing the totally true story,


第二天,继续一个完全真实的故事。

I got on a G-V to fly to Africa to make a speech in Nigeria,


我登上G-5就飞到非洲的尼尔利亚做演讲去了,

in the city of Lagos, on the topic of energy.


在首都拉各斯,主题则是关于能源。

And I began the speech by telling them the story


而演讲开始我则把前一天发生在纳什维尔州

of what had just happened the day before in Nashville.


的故事讲了一遍。

And I told it pretty much the same way I've just shared it with you:
就如同刚刚我给你们讲的故事一模一样。

Tipper and I were driving ourselves,

Shoney's, low-cost family restaurant chain,


我妻子和我自己开车,Shoney's餐馆,低成本家庭连锁餐厅

what the man said -- they laughed.


饭店那个男人的话--然后观众笑了

I gave my speech, then went back out to the airport to fly back home.
演讲完后就开到飞机场飞回老家了

I fell asleep on the plane


接着我就在飞机上睡着了,直到三更半夜才醒来,

until, during the middle


of the night, we landed

on the Azores Islands for refueling.


飞机在亚速尔群岛降落加油。

I woke up, they opened the door, I went out to get some fresh air,
我醒了过来,走出飞机去呼吸点新鲜空气,

and I looked, and there was a man running across the runway.
然后我看到有个人跑过飞机跑道

And he was waving a piece of paper, and he was yelling,


他一边挥舞着一张纸,一边大喊,

"Call Washington! Call Washington!"


”打电话给华盛顿!打电话给华盛顿!“

And I thought to myself, in the middle of the night,


然后我自己在那思考,三更半夜在大西洋的中心

in the middle of the Atlantic,


那么华盛顿能有什么出错呢?

what in the world could be wrong in Washington?


接下来我记起来原来还是有很多事情的。

Then I remembered
it could be a bunch of things.

(Laughter)
(笑声)

But what it turned out to be,


was that my staff was extremely upset
但是结果证明原来是我的员工的极度烦躁

because one of the wire services in Nigeria had already written a story
因为尼尔利亚有一家通讯社已经把我的演讲写成一个故事

about my speech,

and it had already been printed in cities

all across the United States of America.


并且已经印出来在全美发行了

It was printed in Monterey, I checked.


-- 我查过了是在蒙特利尔印刷的,而写的故事则是这样开头的,

(Laughter)

And the story began,


-- 我查过了是在蒙特利尔印刷的,而写的故事则是这样开头的,

"Former Vice President Al Gore announced in Nigeria yesterday," quote:


”前副总统艾尔·戈尔前天在尼尔利亚声明,

'My wife Tipper and I have opened a low-cost family restaurant'" --


‘我与我妻子Tipper开了一家低成本家庭连锁餐厅,名为Shoney's,

(Laughter)

"'named Shoney's,

and we are running it ourselves.'"


(Laughter)
而且是有我们自己经营的。“

Before I could get back to U.S. soil,


在我回到美国本土前,

David Letterman and Jay Leno had already started in on --


戴维莱特曼和杰伊莱诺已经开始在搞这些生意了

one of them had me in a big white chef's hat,


-- 他们中的一个人还让我戴了个很大的大厨帽呢,

Tipper was saying, "One more burger with fries!"


Tipper还说,"再来一个汉堡包加薯条!“

(Laughter)

Three days later,

I got a nice, long, handwritten letter


三天后,我从我的朋友兼伙伴兼同事比尔克林顿哪里收到一封

from my friend and partner and colleague Bill Clinton, saying,


手写,精美兼很长的一封信,内容是,”艾尔,祝新餐馆开张!”

"Congratulations
on the new restaurant, Al!"

(Laughter)
(笑声)

We like to celebrate
each other's successes in life.

(Laughter)
我们喜欢在对方成功的时候互相祝福

I was going to talk about information ecology.


我要谈一谈信息生态学。

But I was thinking that,

since I plan to make a lifelong habit of coming back to TED,


但是我又在想也许我可能计划把TED演讲当作我毕生的习惯,

that maybe I could talk about that another time.


那样的话也许我可以在其他的时候讲-指信息生态学(鼓掌)

(Applause)

Chris Anderson: It's a deal!


克里斯 安德森: 一言为定!

(Applause)

Al Gore: I want to focus on what many of you have said


我现在主要想谈一谈你们最关心的问题

you would like me to elaborate on:

What can you do about the climate crisis?


对于气候危机你可以做什么呢?我想从这点开始谈--

I want to start with a couple of --

I'm going to show some new images,


and I'm going to recapitulate just four or five.
我要给你们展示一些新的照片,当然还有四五张也需要要重新展示

Now, the slide show.

I update the slide show every time I give it.


现在看幻灯片,我每次都会更新这些幻灯片的。

I add new images,

because I learn more about it every time I give it.


我每次更新的时候都会加新的图片进去,其中也许到了许多新的。

It's like beach-combing, you know?


就像那些在潮汐间隔的海滩中找宝物一般,

Every time the tide comes in and out, you find some more shells.
你会找到更多的贝壳。

Just in the last two days, we got the new temperature records in January.
刚刚在昨天,我们就得到了新的一月份的温度记录。

This is just for the United States of America.


这仅仅是美国的,一月份的历史平局记录是31度。

Historical average
for Januarys is 31 degrees;

last month was 39.5 degrees.


上个一月份是39.5度。

Now, I know that you wanted some more bad news about the environment --
现在,我知道你想要更多的关于环境的坏新闻

I'm kidding.
But these are the recapitulation slides,
--只是个玩笑-- 但这些只是重述幻灯片,

and then I'm going to go into new material about what you can do.
然后我将会谈论关于你能做什么的新内容。

But I wanted to elaborate on a couple of these.


但我想先说明下这些东西。

First of all, this is where we're projected to go


首先,这是我们估计到的关于美国对全球温室效应的贡献,

with the U.S. contribution


to global warming,

under business as usual.

Efficiency in end-use electricity and end-use of all energy


在普通情况下对于电力和能源的最终使用的效率

is the low-hanging fruit.


就像踮脚就能够着的果实,非常低的。 效率和对自然环境的保护:

Efficiency and conservation -- it's not a cost; it's a profit.


不是成本,而是利润。 信号是错误的。

The sign is wrong.

It's not negative; it's positive.

These are investments that pay for themselves.


不是负面效应,而是正面的。这些都是为自己支付的投资。

But they are also very effective in deflecting our path.


但是它们在转移我们思想的时候也是非常有效的。

Cars and trucks -- I talked about that in the slideshow,


汽车和火车--我在上次幻灯片的时候谈到过,

but I want you to put it in perspective.


但是我希望你们能够先思考一下。

It's an easy, visible target of concern --


这应该是我们所忧虑的目标里比较容易和显而易见的一个了,

and it should be --

but there is more global warming pollution that comes from buildings
但是相对于汽车和货车,对于全球温室效应的污染则更多

than from cars and trucks.


来自于建筑物。

Cars and trucks are very significant,


汽车和货车是非常明显的,因为我们的标准是全世界最低的。

and we have the lowest


standards in the world.

And so we should address that. But it's part of the puzzle.


这样的话我们应该解决这个问题,但是这又是个伤脑筋的难题。

Other transportation efficiency is as important as cars and trucks.


其他交通工具的效率当然也应和汽车货车一样!

Renewables at the current levels of technological efficiency


可再生能源目前水平的技术效率

can make this much difference.


And with what Vinod, and John Doerr and others, many of you here --
可以大大的改变现状, 而且还有维诺德和约翰·多尔等等

there are a lot of people directly involved in this --


你们中的许多人直接参与其中

this wedge is going to grow much more rapidly


--这个楔形的成长要比我们目前所预计的要迅速的多。

than the current projection shows it.

Carbon Capture and Sequestration -- that's what CCS stands for --


碳捕捉及封存技术--就是CCS代表的意思

is likely to become the killer app that will enable us


--很有可能变成杀手级的应用

to continue to use fossil fuels in a way that is safe.


它将使我们能够继续安全的使用矿物燃料。

Not quite there yet.


不过技术上还不是非常的成熟。

OK. Now, what can you do?


OK,现在,你在家里可以做什么来减少排放呢?

Reduce emissions in your home.

Most of these expenditures are also profitable.


大多数这些支出也是有利可图的。

Insulation, better design.

Buy green electricity where you can.


尽可能的购买绝缘,更优设计和绿色电力的产品。

I mentioned automobiles -- buy a hybrid.


如同我提到的汽车--购买混合动力或者坐轻轨。

Use light rail.

Figure out some of the other options that are much better.
想出一些其他更好的替代方案,这是非常重要的。

It's important.

Be a green consumer.

You have choices with everything you buy,


成为一个环保消费者,对于你买的所有东西都要选择,

between things that have a harsh effect,


比较哪个产品对于全球气候危机的影响大

or a much less harsh effect on the global climate crisis.


还是小

Consider this:

Make a decision to live a carbon-neutral life.


考虑这点,下决心去拥有一个碳中性的生活。

Those of you who are good at branding,


对于你们中那些熟悉品牌运作的人,

I'd love to get your advice and help


我希望可以从你们那里得到建议和帮助
on how to say this in a way that connects with the most people.
关于如何让人知道这是关乎大多数人的利益。

It is easier than you think.


这比你想象的要容易些,真的。

It really is.

A lot of us in here have made that decision,


你们中的许多人已经做出了合适的决定,这真的是相当容易。

and it is really pretty easy.

It means reduce your carbon dioxide emissions


在做各种选择前尽量选那些可以减少二氧化碳排放量的,

with the full range


of choices that you make,

and then purchase or acquire offsets


而且还要对那些没做到的决定作出合适的补偿

for the remainder that you have not


completely reduced.

And what it means is elaborated at climatecrisis.net.


具体什么意思可以看 climatecrisis.net 网站上的说明。

There is a carbon calculator.

Participant Productions convened --


哪里有个碳排量计算器。可以计算你的碳排放量。

with my active involvement --


由于我积极的参与其中,全球最棒的软件设计师

the leading software writers in the world,

on this arcane science of carbon calculation,


根据碳排放的计算公式设计出这个

to construct a consumer-friendly carbon calculator.


非常友好的碳排放计算器.

You can very precisely calculate what your CO2 emissions are,
你可以非常精确的计算出你的碳排放量.

and then you will be given options to reduce.


然后还会给出如何减少碳排放的建议.

And by the time the movie comes out in May,


等五月份电影出来的时候,这个版本也会升级到2.0.

this will be updated to 2.0,

and we will have click-through purchases of offsets.


更新中包括能够购买碳排放抵消的功能

Next, consider making your business carbon-neutral.


接下来,关于如何使你的商业碳中和化,当然,我们中的许多人已经做到了。

Again, some of us have done that,

and it's not as hard as you think.

Integrate climate solutions into all of your innovations,


其实这不是你想的那么难,只要把气候危机解决方案融入到所有的革新当中。
whether you are from the technology,
不管你是处于科技领域或娱乐事业,

or entertainment, or design and architecture community.


或设计行业和社区建筑。

Invest sustainably.
持续的投资,姆吉拉提及过这个。

Majora mentioned this.

Listen, if you have invested money with managers who you compensate
听着,如果你必须要和一个他的报酬是基于

on the basis of their annual performance,


年度绩效的经理人的话。

don't ever again complain about quarterly report CEO management.


别再抱怨季度报告里关于首席执行官的管理

Over time, people do what you pay them to do.


久而久之,人们会做你付钱让他们去做的事,而且如果他们断定

And if they judge how much


they're going to get paid

on your capital that they've invested,


基于他们投资的多少而获得多少的话。

based on the short-term returns,

you're going to get short-term decisions.


根据短期回报率,你必须做出短期决策。

A lot more to be said about that.


关于这个有太多需要说了。

Become a catalyst of change.

Teach others, learn about it, talk about it.


成为一个促进改变的人,教导其他人,学习它,讨论它。

The movie is a movie version of the slideshow


关于电影发行--其实电影只是这个幻灯片我2天前演讲的的电影版本

I gave two nights ago, except it's a lot more entertaining.


除了电影比较更具娱乐性,电影在五月份发行。

And it comes out in May.

Many of you here have the opportunity to ensure that a lot of people see it.
你们中的许多人有机会可以让更多的人去看这个电影。

Consider sending somebody to Nashville.


考虑送一些人去纳什维尔看。

Pick well.

And I am personally going to train people to give this slideshow --


然后我个人也会训练一些人去做这个演讲,重新利用.

re-purposed, with some of the personal stories obviously replaced


其中的一些明显的个人故事只好用一般方法代替了。

with a generic approach,

and it's not just the slides, it's what they mean.
当然不只只是这些幻灯片,而是它们蕴含的意思以及如何使他们联系起来。
And it's how they link together.

And so I'm going to be conducting a course this summer


这样的话我就会在今年夏天带一个课程

for a group of people that are nominated by different folks


给那帮获得提名的人们上一课。

to come and then give it en masse,

in communities all across the country,


全体的,在全国各地的社区,

and we're going to update the slideshow for all of them every single week,
每个星期我们也会为他们更新这些幻灯片

to keep it right on the cutting edge.


来保证资料都处在最前沿。

Working with Larry Lessig, it will be, somewhere in that process,


和拉里·莱斯格一起工作,那会是,在过程中的某个阶段。

posted with tools and limited-use copyrights,


用工具和限量使用版权来张贴,

so that young people can remix it and do it in their own way.


那样的话年轻人就可以用他们自己的方法重新制作。

(Applause)
(掌声)

Where did anybody get the idea


人们都是从哪里得知应该跟政治保持距离呢?

that you ought to stay


arm's length from politics?

It doesn't mean that if you're a Republican,


这无关你是否是共和党人然后我要说服你变成一个民主党人士。

that I'm trying to convince you


to be a Democrat.

We need Republicans as well.

This used to be a bipartisan issue,


我们也需要共和党人。这是个两党连立的问题,

and I know that in this group it really is.


据我所知这在我们这个团体里面的确是如此的。变成政治活跃人士。

Become politically active.

Make our democracy work the way it's supposed to work.


使我们的民主照着原本应该的方式来运作。

Support the idea of capping carbon dioxide emissions --


支持关于二氧化碳排放和全球温室效应污染的理念,

global warming pollution --


and trading it.

Here's why: as long as the United States is out of the world system,
并且补偿这一切,这是因为,由于美国在这个世界体系之外,

it's not a closed system.


但是这又不是个封闭的体系。

Once it becomes a closed system, with U.S. participation,


但是一旦它变成了封闭的体系,不管美国是否参与,
then everybody who's on a board of directors --
那样的话每个人都成为董事会成员了

how many people here serve on the board of directors


--这里有多少人是公司里面的董事会成员呢?

of a corporation?

Once it's a closed system,

you will have legal liability if you do not urge your CEO
一旦它成为一个封闭的体系,你将背负法律上的责任如果你不督促你的CEO

to get the maximum income from reducing and trading the carbon emissions
从减少和补偿可以避免的碳排放方面获得最大的收入。

that can be avoided.

The market will work to solve this problem --


如果我们能够实现它的话那么市场先生将会自己去解决这个问题。

if we can accomplish this.

Help with the mass persuasion campaign that will start this spring.
从今年春天开始的大众劝说运动的帮助。

We have to change the minds of the American people.


我们必须去改变美国人民的观念。

Because presently, the politicians do not have permission


因为现在的政治不允许去做一些需要做的事。

to do what needs to be done.


And in our modern country, the role of logic and reason no longer includes
在一个现代化国家,逻辑和理性的作用已不再只包括

mediating between wealth and power the way it once did.


以前所做的关于财富和权力的调解。

It's now repetition of short, hot-button, 30-second, 28-second television ads.


现在已经是短的,热门的,30秒,28秒的电视广告的重复播放。

We have to buy a lot of those ads.


我们必须要买许多这样的广告。

Let's re-brand global warming, as many of you have suggested.


让我们把全球变暖这个品牌重新包装一下,就如许多人建议的那样。

I like "climate crisis" instead of "climate collapse,"


相对于气候崩溃我更喜欢气候危机这个叫法,

but again, those of you who are good at branding,


老调重谈一下,如果你们谁对品牌运作方面相当在行的话,我需要你们的帮助。

I need your help on this.

Somebody said the test we're facing now, a scientist told me,
有个科学家告诉我,有人说我们现在面对的检验是,

is whether the combination of an opposable thumb


对生拇指和新皮层的组合是否是

and a neocortex is a viable combination.


一种可以实行的组合。

(Laughter)

That's really true.


I said the other night, and I'll repeat now:
这是真的。上次我也说过了,但是我现在再重复一次:这不是政治问题。

this is not a political issue.

Again, the Republicans here -- this shouldn't be partisan.


今天来的共和党人们,这不应该是党派性的。

You have more influence than some of us who are Democrats do.
你甚至比在我们这里的有些共和党人更加具有影响力。

This is an opportunity.

Not just this, but connected to the ideas that are here,
这不止是个很好的机会,更可以把今天我们在这里的想法连接到

to bring more coherence to them.


并一致的带给其他人。

We are one.
我们是整体。

Thank you very much, I appreciate it.


谢谢感谢,我非常的感激。

(Applause)
(掌声)

You might also like