Professional Documents
Culture Documents
(English-中文 (简体) ) Letting Go of God
(English-中文 (简体) ) Letting Go of God
Pollykann - A powerful video player (app) for learning languages provided technical support for the subtitles.
本字幕由【小鹦看看】- 用了会后悔,不用更后悔的外语学习App,提供技术支持。
http://www.pollykann.com
I came downstairs to the kitchen, where my mother was washing the dishes
我下楼去厨房,看见我母亲在洗碗
and I sort of presented myself to them in the doorway, and they said,
当他们发现我出现在厨房门口的时候,他们祝贺我说:
and you're now capable of committing any and all sins against God and man."
现在你已经有能力犯下所有亵渎上帝和人类罪恶了。
(Laughter)
(笑声)
and everybody knew that was really all about the white dress
而且大家都知道那只是意味着白色的礼服和面纱
So, I said, "Yeah, yeah, age of reason. What does that mean again?"
所以我说,“好吧,理性的年龄,再告诉我一遍,那是什么意思?”
that God knows that little kids don't know the difference between right and wrong,
我们认为上帝知道小孩没有辨别是非的能力½
(Laughter)
(笑声)
Wait a minute.
(Laughter)
(笑声)
How could it not have sunk in when they'd been telling me?
他们一直告诉我,我怎么没领悟到呢?
And my mother said, "Oh, Bob, stop it. Let's just tell her. I mean, she's seven.
妈妈接着说:“得了吧,鲍勃,直接告诉他吧,
(Laughter)
(笑声)
like he did for every other family who got to open their surprises
让他们能够在圣诞节当天早上打开礼物,
Santa would come to our house while we were at nine o'clock high mass
让他在圣诞节早上九点,我们在弥撒的时候
on Christmas morning, but only if all of us kids did not make a fuss.
来我们家送礼物,而且前提是我们小孩子没有制造任何麻烦。
It was pretty obvious that it was really our parents giving us the presents.
相当明显,其实是我们的父母在给我们礼物。
(Laughter)
There was only one obvious conclusion to reach from this mountain of evidence:
这一大堆证据之中,我得出了一个明显的结论:
our family was too strange and weird for even Santa Claus to come visit,
我们家太奇怪了。连圣诞老人都不想拜访
about how I could have missed this whole age of reason thing.
我怎么会对”理性的年龄“这个概念一无所知。
It was too late for me, but maybe I could help someone else,
现在知道这些对我来说是太迟了,但我还有可能帮助别人,
the whole concept of the age of reason, and not yet seven.
能够了解这“理性的年龄”的概念;第二,他们还没有到七岁。
about a block away from our house at this public school playground.
我在离家大概一条街的地方找到了比尔他在一个公共学校操场上。那天是星期六
It was a Saturday,
and he was all by himself,
I just realized that the age of reason starts when you turn seven,
我刚意识到,理性的年龄在你七岁以后就开始了,
You have a whole year to do anything you want to and God won't notice it."
你现在六岁。你还有一整年可以做你要做的事而上帝不会注意的。“他又说:“那又怎
样?”我冲他嚷嚷道:
(Laughter)
(笑声)
(Laughter)
(笑声)
(Laughter)
(Laughter)
(笑声)
that you weren't just going to go blab it all over the place,
但我不确定你会不会到处告诉别人你真实的生日日期,
But, Julie, you were so ready to start school, honey. You were so ready."
朱莉,你当时已经完全可以开始上学了,亲爱的。完全可以。“
(Laughter)
(笑声)
(Laughter)
What was most upsetting was that this meant I was not a Virgo.
最让我恼火的是:这意味着我不是处女座。
(Laughter)
(笑声)
So, I took the bus downtown to get the new Libra poster.
于是,我乘巴士到市中心买新的天秤座海报。
This was around the time that I started filling out physically,
那时的我正好处于女孩子开始发胖的时候,
and I was filling out a lot more than a lot of the other girls,
而我比其他的女孩子发胖得更多
and frankly, the whole idea that my astrological sign was a scale
而且说实在的,当我知道我的星座是一个秤之后,
(Laughter)
(笑声)
(Laughter)
Sometimes I get little old ladies from the Seventh Day Adventist Church
有时候基督复临安息日教会的老妇人们会来
that they won't join a gang and just start robbing people,
他们发誓,只要我向他们订阅杂志
And there stood two boys, each about 19, in white, starched short-sleeved shirts,
两个看起来差不多十九岁的男孩子站在那里,穿着笔挺的短袖白衬衫,
and they said they had a message for me, from God.
他们说,他们给我来了上帝的旨意。
I said, "A message for me? From God?" And they said, "Yes."
我说:“给我的旨意?来自上帝?“他们说:“是的。“
Now, I was raised in the Pacific Northwest,
我在太平洋西北地区长大
and I guess I was sort of curious, so I said, "Well, please, come in."
就说:“请进来吧。“ 他们看起来十分开心,
(Laughter)
(Laughter)
(笑声)
Ok.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
现在行了。我让他们坐下,给他们倒了两杯水,
"Do you believe that God loves you with all his heart?"
在完成了基本的礼节之后,他们说,“你相信上帝是真心爱心你的吗?”
and I don't like the word, 'his,' either, because that sexualizes God."
我也不喜欢“他的”这个词,因为这样上帝就有了性别
But I didn't want to argue semantics with these boys,
不过,我不想和这些男孩争辩语义,
And they told me this story all about this guy named Lehi,
然后便给我讲了一个关于利哈伊的家伙,
Now, apparently in Jerusalem in 600 BC, everyone was completely bad and evil.
显然,在公元前600年的耶路撒冷,每个人都是坏人,邪恶的人。每个都是。
"Put your family on a boat and I will lead you out of here."
我会带你离开这里。“ 神真的带领他们
I said, "America?
(Laughter)
(Laughter)
(笑声)
and the Nephites were totally good -- each and every one of them --
尼发族的每一个人都是好人
(Laughter)
笑声
And he told them that if they all remained totally, totally good --
告诉尼法族人他们是非常非常好的人每一个都是
(Laughter)
笑声
(Laughter)
笑声
And they said, "Well, they became our Native Americans, here in the U.S."
他们回答说:他们变成了现在的美国本地人
And I said, "So, you believe the Native Americans are descended
然后我说:你们相信我们美国人都是
and he also found this magic stone back there that he put into his hat
而且他还发现了一块魔法石,他把魔法石放进帽子了
Well, at this point I just wanted to give these two boys some advice
这时候,我只是想给这两个年轻人一些关于他们的推销技巧的建议
(Laughter)
笑声
I wanted to say --
(Applause)
(Laughter)
(Applause)
掌声
And what do you mean by prophets? Like, could the prophets be women?"
先知又是什么人?他们可能是女的么?
And they said, "Well, it's because God gave women a gift
因为上帝已经给了女人一件无以伦比的礼物
that is so spectacular,
it is so wonderful, that the only gift he had left over to give men
这件礼物是这么的美妙,基于此,唯一留下来给男人的礼物
(Laughter)
The fact that women tend to be much less violent than men?
但这些都不是女人所得到的礼物。
from the time they were 15 to the time they were 45,
每年都生一个小孩
it still seems like some women would have some time left over
她们还是会有时间去聆听上帝的启示的
(Laughter)
笑声
Well, then they didn't look so fresh-faced and cute to me any more,
现在,我再也不觉得他们青春洋溢和可爱了,但他们还继续有话说
(Laughter)
笑声
(Laughter)
(Laughter)
you get your body restored to you in its best original state.
回到最初的状态
And I said, "I don't want it back. I'm happy without it." Gosh.
然后我说:我根本不想要他回来,没了他我挺开心的。
(Laughter)
笑声
But then the more I thought about it, the more I had to be honest with myself.
我越是思考,越是不得不对自己诚实
and I was hearing Catholic theology and dogma for the very first time,
他们会说:
and they said, "We believe that God impregnated a very young girl
我们相信上帝让一个年轻的女孩
and the fact that she was a virgin is maniacally important to us."
并且保证这个女孩的处子之身有非常深远的重要意义
(Laughter)
笑声
(Laughter)
笑声
"Do you feel that God loves you with all his heart?"
我能感觉到上帝在全身心的爱着我么?
Well, that would have been much different, I think I would have instantly answered,
那就会完全不同了。 我想我会有一个当机立断的回答
I take shelter in God's love when I don't understand why tragedy hits,
当我不能理解为什么悲剧来临的时候,上帝的爱是我避风的港湾
and I feel God's love when I look with gratitude at all the beauty I see."
当我满怀感激,注视着眼前的美丽的时候,我亦能感受到上帝之爱。
But since they asked me that question with the word "believe" in it,
但基于他们的问题里提到了我是否相信