You are on page 1of 1

Delilah S.

Dawson
@DelilahSDawson
a day ago, 12 tweets, 3 min read   Read on Twitter

If your goal for 2019 is to write a book, here are 10 tips to help you do that. Here's #1:
Whatever gets it done is your process. But I'm going to tell you what helped me write m
didn't think I could do it. 1/
I can't write a book until I know:
* who is the main character
* what are the strengths and *real* weaknesses that make them unique
* what is the world like, and how does it challenge the mc
* when does the story start
* what is the climax
* how does it end
Nail it down. 2/

With my first attempts at writing a book, I sat down in front of a blank screen and waited for genius to strike. It won't! So yo
end up. And then decide that your first chapter will be garbage. Because it will! THEY ALL ARE. 3/

So you accept that your first chapter will be garbage, but you just keep writing from there without judging yourself, without
steamroller out of hell. Judging yourself is quicksand. Don't get stuck. Remind yourself: FIX IT LATER. 4/

Try to write 10 pages a day, about 2000 words. If it's a little over, cool. If it's a little under, fine. But that's about a chapter, g
know what happens next. Dream of the next scene overnight so you know where to start. 5/

When you hit 20 pages, reward yourself with something small. For me, it's a cupcake. At 100 pages, I get tacos and a marga
Set up little treats to look forward to and celebrate every accomplishment. It's a big deal! 6/

Somewhere around the halfway point, usually around 40-60k for me, you're going to hit THE SOGGY MIDDLE. You will fe
terrible writer. THE SOGGY MIDDLE LIES. It's part of the process. Push through it. Don't give up, Artax! 7/

If you get stuck, think back to the last big scene. Did the main character make a choice because it's what they would do, or d
What do they want, and what are they doing to get it? How can you push them to the limit? Break 'em. 8/

When you finish the 1st draft, turn right back to page 1 and start smoothing things out while you have the entire story in you
but now you know the right moment to begin--just look at the instigating factor and rewind 1 scene. 9/

After the 2nd draft, I put the book away and ignore it for several weeks. That way, when I pick it back up for the 3rd draft, I'
read, rest. Let your mind empty. Then revise, edit, use CPs or beta readers, polish. DONE. 10/

I could keep going-- and I have! If you use Twitter Advanced Search and enter my user name and words like "editing" or "ag
one. If you have an ungoogleable question, ask away! I'm only here because others helped me. :) 11/

I wrote my first book at 31 while nursing a baby on my couch in Atlanta. I don't have an MFA, I didn't know anyone in publi
You're never too old to write your first book. No one can stop you but you. Good luck! 12/12

You might also like