This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Dedicated Computer Control
• Dedicated computer control have wide applications in • Small plant operation • Large scale operations • Signal and Image processing, etc.
Essential functions of a computer • • • • • • Process monitoring Data acquisition Alarming and signaling Data processing Data archiving Process control .
Centralized computer control .
Distributed Vs centralized computer control .
De-Centralized computer control system .
Evolution of DCS .
Famous DCS .
Functional requirements of distributed computer control system .
Plant operator requirements .
Maintenance engineering requirements .
Design/Development Engineer requirements .
Manager/Supervisor requirements .
System Architecture .
DCS Hierarchy Structure .
Hierarchical levels .
AEG-Telefunken Logistat CP80 .
Hierarchical levels • • • • • Level 1 – Process Level Level 2 – Unit Control Level Level 3 – Group Control Level Level 4 – Process Control Level Level 5 – Operation Control Level .
DCS Hierarchy Structure .
DCS Sub-system .
Main sub systems of DCS • Field stations • Presentation and monitoring devices • Communication units .
PROCONTROL Local field station .
Local Field Station • Smallest intelligent unit of the DCS is the multi-loop control in the field attached to many local controllers. • Honey well TDC 3000 field station is known as “controller file” • Siemens TELEPARM field stations are known a “Automation – subsystem” • BBC PROCONTROL Field station is known as “Compact processing station” .
Local display terminal . Hard copy output terminal 3.Field station Field station usually consists of 1. A microcomputer with 32 to 64Kb RAM 16 to 32 analog inputs 8 to 16 analog outputs upto 48 digital I/Os a serial and parallel bus interface 2.
Library of functions • • • • • • • • • • • Inputing signals Input signal conditioning Signal and hardware testing Limit values and trends check Alarming Reporting and logging Mathematical and logical signal processing On-line and off-line signal processing Visual display and printing Output signal conditioning Signal outputting .
etc. control loops.Presentation and monitoring devices • On the display screen the following will be usually represented – Current values of measuring data – Positions of actuators – Logs of the plant – History of individual signals – State of different plant parts. .
• The information displayed on the screen can be generally classified as follows: – Plant overview. – Group overview.) . – Local multi-loop representation of individual process variables reporting and logging – Representation of secondary plant data ( statistical parameters. etc.
TDC 3000 displays • TDC 3000 displays are used in three operating modes: – Normal conditions – At time of process upset – In the event of control equipment malfunction .
Normal condition displays .
Overview display .
Schematic display .
Group display .
Group display with trends .
Trend curve updating .
Group display with hourly average .
Detail display .
Trend overview display .
Batch/sequence operation display .
Batch summary display .
Batch display .
Process upset displays • Alarm annunciator display .
• Area and unit alarm display .
Process management system display .
Communication options in DCS
• The communication system also follows hierarchy system • For short distance applications star network is applicable • At level 1 usually point-to-point connection is applicable to connect individual sensors and actuators to analog and digital inputs and output of the field station. • For shorter distances instrumentation bus like IEEE 488, or special bus like k-110 of AEG Telefunken can be used. • For level 2 and 3 long distance buses like IEEE 488, PDV – BUS , PROWAY, etc which are extendable upto 5 to 10kms are used. Generally long distance buses are serial buses.
Field bus communication
Configuration of DCS
• Step 1: Configuration of operating system – Composition of groups and overview displays – Period for trend displays – Hi-way station priorities – Message tables .
• Step 2: Configuration of controller functions .
Some popular DCS • Leeds and Northup Max-1 System .
Leeds and Northup Max-1 System .
Control Bailey Micro-Z System .
Honeywell TDC-2000. TDC 3000 system .
– Controller file – Operator station – Hiway traffic director(HTD) – Analog unit – Process interface unit .TDC 3000 system architecture • The basic modules are.
Honeywell TPS system .
multivariable control. . etc. optimization.TPS – Honeywell • The basic components of TPS system are: – Global user station (GUS) – Total plant desktop module – Total plant engineering tools – Total plant history module – Advanced application software packages like total plant batch control.
Echelon’s Lonwork System • The basic building blocks of Lonworks are – Neuron chips – Lontalk communication protocol – Lonworks transceivers – Network management services .
Lonwork System .
Features of DCS .
Advantages of DCS .